Author Topic: Fathers Day Tribute (family history with LFC) Inc' RAWK Hall of fame Nominations  (Read 4349 times)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
A lot has been said recently about how our history is fast disappearing in front of our eyes.
Is it due to a lack of interest in our younger fans ? I'm not sure it is.
Untold stories of our forefathers are going to the grave without ever being told.
I believe this is mainly due to "Old Grampa" not having access to "The Tinternet" let alone understand it.

As a tribute on Fathers day I would like all RAWKITES to get involved in a project.
Talk to your Dads and Granddads and ask them who their favourite players were.
Who knows perhaps you might even pick up a bit of knowledge yourselves.

What I want you to do is find out who their favourites were. Search the internet for a picture and profile of the player and add a small personal story of your own with a bit of family history.
Too many fans stories are going to the grave.
Make a difference. Show you care about your family & club history.
What you write today could be accessed by your Grandchildren if we archive correctly.
leave an indelible mark in our clubs history.

Here is my example which may help you.

William Brodrick ; Liverpudlian (Birkenhead - Prescot - Garston) 1855-1920
All I know about my Great Grandad Billy was told to me by my nan Rose who died recently. He worked on the railways, docks and ended his life as a gardener at Speke Hall.
Finances meant he couldn’t afford to go to every home game but I’m told he went about 10 games a season. He called his favourite player “Prettyboy”
Below is his profile from .tv

Alex Raisbeck is regarded as the club's first star player.
If the centre-back was around today, he'd undoubtedly be a pin-up of the Fernando Torres ilk.
Instead, Raisbeck plied his trade at the turn of the twentieth century and played a prominent part in Liverpool's early success.
His Anfield career spanned eleven seasons, during which he evolved into one of the best defenders of his generation.
The Scot first came to the attention of scouts on Merseyside while playing for Stoke. In the kind of transfer swoop that would later become a Liverpool trademark, secretary-manager Tom Watson was sent to the Potteries and instructed not to return without sealing a deal.
It cost Liverpool £350 to tempt Stoke to part with their prized asset in 1898 but it was to prove money well spent.
Raisbeck was an instant hit with the Anfield faithful, not least because, during his first season, he declined the chance of a first international cap in order to help THE Reds' chase for a League and Cup double.
As it turned out, his efforts were in vain. Liverpool lost out on both fronts but it was a tremendous display of loyalty from the new man.
The defender would eventually gain representative honours for Scotland and domestic prizes were also on the horizon. Two seasons after that double disappointment, Raisbeck captained the Reds to their first League Championship.
Despite standing at just 5ft 10ins, the Stirlingshire lad was a commanding centre-half whose timing and athleticism enabled him to reach the ball before taller opponents.
It wasn't just on the pitch where he excelled, though. The club supplemented his wages by giving him the job of bill inspector, overseeing the public hoardings and notice boards advertising Liverpool matches
Raisbeck stayed loyal to the Reds following the shock relegation of 1903-04, helping his team-mates bounce straight back before leading by example once more as Liverpool became the first club to win the Second and First Division titles in successive years.
When his glorious Anfield career eventually came to an end, the Scotsman returned to his homeland to play for Partick Thistle and Hamilton Academicals before spells at the helm of Bristol City, Halifax and Chester.
His love of Liverpool never died, however, and he later came back to take up a scouting position.
One of this club's finest ever servants eventually passed away in 1949 but Alex Raisbeck will forever be remembered as the first in an illustrious line of great Scots to grace Anfield.

Peter John Brodrick ; Liverpudlian (Garston - Woolton - Lee Park) 1908-1967
Grandad Peter nickname “Yannah” was a docker all his life. He fought in the “Red Corner” literally. His favourite player was Gordon Hodgson. Gordon played on Merseyside at the same time as the legendary Billy “Dixie” Dean. I’m reliably told Peter was involved in many pub scuffles defending his favourite player, from an onslaught of Dixie-mania blue fans. It seemed whatever Gordon did Dixie did more.
“Aye” said Peter “including playing in the Second Division” - Seconds away round 2.
Here is Gordon’s profile.

No list of great Liverpool goal scorers is complete without the name Gordon Hodgson.
The inside forward netted an incredible 240 times in 378 games during the 1920s and 30s, an era when the Red half of Merseyside often found itself in the shadow of the Blue.
Hodgson was a ray of hope, providing the Kop with a riposte whenever Evertonians bragged about the exploits of Dixie Dean.
Born in South Africa to English parents, Hodgson was spotted by Liverpool officials when visiting England with a touring side in the early 1920s.
He was signed up in December 1925 along with compatriots Arthur Riley and James Gray, and quickly set about re-writing the club's goal scoring records.
The forward served notice of his potential in his first full season with the club when he netted a 22-minute hat-trick against Derby County. It was the first of many.
In 1930-31, Hodgson set a new Reds record of 36 league goals in a season – a feat not surpassed until the emergence of Roger Hunt in the Sixties – while his tally of 17 Liverpool hat-tricks has yet to be beaten.
In 10 years at the club, the hitman averaged more than 20 goals a season and was worshipped by adoring fans on the Kop. International recognition also came his way in the form of three England caps, in which he scored one goal, and a single appearance for South Africa.
On completion of his decade of service, he was honoured by the club with a benefit sum of £650.
Hodgson pulled on the jersey 17 more times before Aston Villa bid £3,000 for the ageing striker in 1936.
He went on to finish his playing career with Leeds United and then became manager of Port Vale in the aftermath of the Second World War.
Despite leaving the Reds, he remained a highly popular figure among the Anfield faithful and it came as a great shock when Hodgson suddenly passed away on June 14, 1951.
His phenomenal goal scoring exploits deserved to reap greater reward in terms of silverware won but it's testimony to the loyalty Gordon Hodgson displayed towards Liverpool Football Club that he remained at Anfield for so long.
Without his goals, the barren years between the wars would have been unbearable and Liverpudlians of that generation were eternally grateful to him for that.

William John Brodrick ; Liverpudlian (Toxteth - Garston - Woolton) 1933 -

My father did national service like most people his age. He did his time in Malaya.
Later working on the Docks, in Fords and eventually as a Union Official for T&GWU.
In his lifetime he has seen everything we have and a lot more. An ex season ticket holder and traveller to some away fixtures I'm guessing my father has been to about 800 matches.
Pushed to name his favourite player, he winces at the thought of all the greats he’s seen, but eventually a smile crosses his face. “It’s got to be LIDDELL”
“Right foot THUNDER left foot LIGHTNING”
“He simply terrified full backs”
“8 quid a week, 8 QUID, that’s all we paid him”
There is a dullness in my Dad’s 80 year old eyes, but every time someone mentions Liddell, all the exuberance of his youth returns. You can see a sparkle in his eyes that if he’s not careful could turn into tears.
Billy’s .tv profile

For Liverpudlians of a certain generation, Billy Liddell remains the greatest player ever to pull on a red jersey.
Such was his impact, supporters even renamed the club in his honour by coining the nickname Liddellpool.
The winger came to prominence amid the gloom of the 1950s when relegation from the top flight and humiliating cup exits meant the Kop had little to smile about.
The one shining light was William Beveridge Liddell, a player whose name to this day evokes dewy-eyed reminisces of a bygone football age.
During a barren era which commands little coverage in Liverpool history books, the Scot ensured crowds continued to flock to Anfield in their thousands and was largely responsible for keeping the club's head above the abyss of Football League oblivion.
Although his modesty would never have allowed him to admit it, without Liddell the Reds could well have sunk into the murky depths of the old Third Division. And if they had, who's to say they'd ever have escaped?

Who, when the 17-year-old arrived on Merseyside back in 1938, imagined the club would one day owe him such a debt?
It is Manchester United legend Matt Busby, at the time Liverpool captain, who the Reds have to thank for tipping off scout Johnny Dougary about a precocious youngster plying his trade for Lochgelly Violet.
Here was a thrilling, skilful, two-footed winger - fast, direct and capable of bursting the back of any opposition net with one of his trademark thunderbolts.
Liddell's fame soon spread far beyond the boundaries of Merseyside, even if a quick glance at his medal collection does not make for impressive reading. A solitary League Championship, won in 1946-47, was scant reward to the talent he possessed.
But the fact he was twice selected to represent Great Britain during the course of his career – a feat matched only by the legendary Stanley Mathews – is ample proof, if needed, of his immense stature in the game.
Like all players of his generation, the outbreak of war proved restrictive but, having scored on his Liverpool debut in a wartime fixture, he was ready to take a place in the first team when league football resumed.
The flying Scotsman's league debut was a memorable affair, a 7-4 thriller at home to Chelsea in which he scored two, one direct from a corner. It was the start of a campaign that was to see Liverpool crowned the first post-war champions.
Unfortunately, George Kay's team failed to build on that success but Liddell's performances continued to be of the highest standard. In 1950 he inspired the Reds to their first Wembley FA Cup final, but on a grey day in the capital the Kop's star man was infamously kicked off the park as Arsenal ran out 2-0 winners.
The following year, King Billy of Anfield almost became one of the British game's first exports when he was offered £2,000 to go and ply his trade in Colombia. It was a tempting proposition and one he seriously considered but, given the tender age of his twin sons, the Scottish international politely declined, much to the relief of his adoring fans around Stanley Park.
On the pitch, Liverpool was a club in decline, and in 1954 the unthinkable occurred when the Reds suffered the indignity of relegation to the Second Division. Many players of his ability would have jumped ship but Liddell's unswerving loyalty ensured he stayed to help rebuild.
A player of great versatility, Liddell filled every outfield position at one time or another but excelled most in an attacking role. A move from inside to centre forward resulted in him notching a career best 33 goals in 1955-56 – a tally which would have been 34 had referee Mervyn Jones not controversially disallowed his late, late equaliser in an infamous FA Cup replay defeat against Manchester City.
Ever the gentleman, Liddell – an accountant by trade - didn't complain. During the course of his illustrious career he was never booked and captained the club with distinction. One of the finest role models ever to play the game, he was the perfect club ambassador: a devout Christian who never drank, smoked or swore, he did a lot of work for charity, helped out at local boys' clubs and was a qualified Justice of the Peace.
But while he kept on banging in goals, promotion continued to agonisingly elude Liverpool. In November 1957 Liddell achieved a major milestone when he surpassed Elisha Scott's all-time appearance record for the Reds. However, the following season he missed his first FA Cup tie for the club when he was dropped for the humiliating third round defeat at non-league Worcester City - and it signalled the beginning of the end for the ageing Liddell.
His popularity remained as strong as ever with the fans, who campaigned for his recall, but on August 31, 1960, Billy Liddell represented the Reds' first team for the final time. It was his 537th appearance for the club – a record that remained until Ian Callaghan's 18-year stint in the 1960s and 70s.
When the forward's loyalty to the club was rewarded with a well-deserved testimonial, a crowd of almost 40,000 turned up to pay homage to a player who is still held in the highest regard over half a century since his heyday.
It was an unfortunate fact of life that Liddell's prime did not coincide with the Shankly revolution that followed. Had it done, who knows what he'd have gone on to achieve?
The great man is sadly no longer with us having passed away with Alzheimer's, but visit Anfield on a quiet day and old-timers will swear they can still hear the once famous roar of 'give it to Billy' ringing around the Kop. Gone but never forgotten.

Karl William John Brodrick (1957-
One Day I’ll write my own story, but it’s too early yet. I plan on living until I’m 100.
Contenders to date ;
Willie Stevenson
Graeme Souness
Steven Gerrard

HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO ALL MY FOREFATHERS
XXXX
Karl

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:57:41 am by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline keeby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • turned down the job of katie perrys fluffer.....
Re: Fathers Day Tribute (family history with LFC)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:21:53 pm »
Absolutely top class sir ! - thank you.
was on blankety blank once and came second.........

Offline Fredo C

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »
Great piece and a great idea!

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 01:11:35 pm »
Brilliant as usual Karl and needs to be said and done.

I'm afraid that as I'm a first generation OOT whose only supported the club since 1970 I haven't got the connections as such.  However, I have regularly gone onto LFC history and have tried to educate myself and now my son, who turned 21 recently, is also being educated and being reminded of life before 'EPL' ....and for that matter life before Shankly!

Keep up the good work mate and we'll make sure the baton gets passed on 

http://www.lfchistory.net/
 :scarf
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:12:04 pm »
Tremendous idea. Unfortunately, my dad's mum and dad are both already gone, and dont think he had much interest in football anyway. My dad was actually the reason I started supporting Liverpool, but again, he wasn't really into football. I think he was more concerned with making sure we weren't influenced by my mum, who is a Manc.

I am certainly passing on the tradition though. My 5 year old already knows that Kenny goes by the name 'King Kenny'. He's always correcting people that call him just Kenny, or Dalglish. As most people will I am sure, I'll be passing on stories of the treble season in 01, Istanbul in 05, and how Steven Gerrard bossed hundreds of games from midfield. Hopefully, the next story will be how a local from Carnlough finally ended the wait for number 19 in his first season  ;)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:36:52 pm »
I'd love to but they're all bluenoses and long gone.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:43:55 pm »
That was a quality read and is a great idea. Really looking forward to reading pieces from other Reds. Cheers mate.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 03:50:08 pm »
Its a terrific idea. For someone like me, it will be very helpful to know the history of our club before the Shanks era. All I know before that is the year we got birth, founder, first manager, few names of players and somethings like that. It would be great for me if I could know about some of the greatest players of our past.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline kevinbrodie

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:10:03 am »
Grandad Michael Brodie (Scotland Road-Wilbraham House)   1902 to 1981 (I believe that is accurate)
From  talking to my Grandad, from what I remembe, his favorite was Ian St. John probably because he scored the goal that won the first FA cup for us and at that time that was the the grandaddy of the. I know my dad and him only had one ticket for the cup final so my Grandad pulled rank on him and off he went  From .tv
n St John was responsible for the single greatest moment of the Shankly era.

It was his extra-time goal that sealed our first FA Cup in 1965 and brought hundreds of thousands on to the streets of Liverpool in jubilation.

Even today, after famous nights in Rome and Istanbul, that first Wembley triumph is still cherished as one of the club's finest hours.

St John's contribution to the Red cause goes far beyond a single goal, however.

The Scot was a key figure in the transformation of Liverpool Football Club from a mediocre Second Division outfit to one of the most feared sides in Europe.

It took a club record £37,500 to prise him from hometown team Motherwell in May 1961.

Legend has it that when Bill Shankly approached his board for the funds they questioned the wisdom of spending so much on one player, to which Shanks replied: "We can't afford not to buy him!"

A sign of what was to come came on his debut in a Liverpool Senior Cup tie against top-flight neighbours Everton at Goodison Park.

The fact the Reds lost 4-3 was of minor significance to the Liverpudlians in the crowd, for they left knowing they'd witnessed the birth of a legend. St John scored three times and deservedly earned rave reviews for his all-round performance.

Standing at just five feet and seven inches, he may have been short in size but not in stature. The Saint was a feisty competitor, a fact illustrated by a sending off during an end of season tour to Czechoslovakia just weeks after his debut, but an infectious passion rubbed off on those around him.

Twelve months after moving south he helped the Reds to promotion, forming a partnership with Roger Hunt which became one of the most talked about in the land.

St John was also cultivating a special relationship with the Kop, who devised one of the first ever football chants in his honour.

For a player so small, he was deadly in the air, and it was with his head that he broke Leeds United hearts in the '65 Cup final.

With the game tied at 1-1, it was in the second period of extra-time that the striker twisted acrobatically in mid-air to glance Willie Stevenson's centre into the back of Gary Sprake's net.

If he never scored another goal in a red shirt he'd still be feted today as the man who broke the club's 73-year Cup duck but there was much more to come from the inspirational Scotsman who was equally adept at operating as a centre forward, inside forward or deep lying creative midfielder.

With close ball control and a football brain to rival the greatest in the game at the time, St John was both a taker and maker of goals. His best season in terms of hitting the back of the net was in the Second Division title-winning campaign of 1961-62 when he bagged 22. It was a feat he went on to match two years later as the First Division championship came back to Anfield.

With the passing of time the goals slowly dried up, but St John remained an influential member of a team in which he was almost an ever-present for eight seasons.

By the time the Seventies dawned, the ageing Saint was gradually being phased out of the first team as Shanks began the construction of his second great side.

He left for Coventry in 1971 safe in the knowledge that the period of dominance about to be enjoyed on Merseyside would not have been possible without him.

John Brodie- )Scotland Road Wilbraham house-San Francisco) 1933 -still going strong
I speak to my dad all the time about his favorite LFC players and I believe he would have to agree with William Brodrick from above, It was Billy Liddell !

Kevin Brodie 1968   
It's so different now supporting LFC then when I was kid. Most of memories of my childhood was reading about the games in the Pink Echo and listening to the games via the BBC on short wave radio. Of course, when I was lucky enough to go to Anfield Kenny always seems to score....With the Premier League and almost all the games being on now I would have to say that Gerrard would be the best player I have witnessed.
Rafa is my Shankly

Offline careca

• Kopite
  • "Shanks - Considered wisdom"
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 08:04:10 am »
Mate that has brightened my Shanghai day cheers
Keeping the faith

royhendo

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 08:06:41 am »
Superb mate. My old boy loved Willie Stevenson for what it's worth. And Kenny, of course. :)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 09:45:14 am »
Great contribution Mr Brodie Sir.

You others might think you've excused yourselves from any work, but as this thread has more than one goal excuses will not be accepted.

Aims of thread
1) Tribute to forefathers and fans of yesteryear.
2) To expand your knowledge of players before you were born.
3) To collate all information posted and Create a RAWK Hall of Fame.

Excuses like "My dad was Dutch" (HF-Carl) or "My Dad liked Rugby" are not acceptable.
Excuses means harder work. Those who cannot post a tribute from personal history can help with (3)
Select two players from Every decade you consider are worthy of being nominated for RAWK's Hall of Fame.

Decades (Era)
1894-1899
1900-1909
1910-1919
1920-1929
1930-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999

I'll start the ball Rolling My Nominations for 1894-1899 are;
BILLY DUNLOP

Scottish-born left-back Billy Dunlop first appeared in Liverpool's first-team towards the end of the 1894-95 season, only the club's second season as a Football League club and one in which they were immediately relegated to the Second Division after winning promotion the previous year.
Although his appearances over the next three seasons were sporadic, Billy was to become a regular in the side for the next decade and a prominent member of the squad which won Liverpool's first-ever Division One title in 1901, a feat repeated five years later.
According to Tony Matthews in Who's Who of Liverpool Dunlop was: "The backbone of Liverpool's defence. A fine tackler and splendid in the air, he was also a clean kicker of the ball, always seeking to find a colleague rather than heaving his clearance 80 yards downfield in hope rather than judgement."
Dunlop later worked as an assistant trainer at Sunderland from 1922-1927 and passed away in Sunderland in 1945.
"From everything I've been able to find on Billy he would probably be considered the 'Tommy Smith'
of his day. Famous for his no-nonsense tackling and strong upper body strength. I read in an Echo of 1901 that he had been cautioned for "Ungentlemanly Conduct" by a referee for shoulder charging a winger into the crowd". Sounds like the sort of bloke I would have loved to watch.
Billy I think, was the first Liverpool player to Hit 200 appearances and 300 appearances, setting the standard for all who followed.

BILLY GOLDIE

Tough-tackling wing-half Bill Goldie joined his brother Archie at Anfield towards the end of the 20th Century and the brothers played together in the last four First Division matches of the 1897-98 season and in a further 41 league games before Archie left the club at the end of the 1899-1900 season.
Bill continued to play for Liverpool for another three years and in fact played 129 consecutive games from December 23, 1899, until April 27, 1903. Goldie also picked up a winners' medal as the club won its first League championship title at the end of the 1900-01 season.
Bill was suspended in August 1903 when he became involved in a transfer scam with Portsmouth.
Following his suspension, he joined Fulham in January 1904, having played his last ever game for Liverpool in April 1903, and Bill won two Southern league championships with the Cottagers and featured in the 1907-1908 season which was Fulham‘s first ever League season in Division Two.
This turned out to be his last and after 215 games for Fulham he joined Leicester Fosse which had been promoted to Division One, but was relegated a year later.
Bill retired from a successful League career in 1911 and ran a pub while occasionally turning out for amateurs Leicester Imperial.
His near-impenetrable Scottish accent once forced FA's disciplinary committee to employ an interpreter.
I'm nominating another BILLY, this time Goldie. He set the early record for consecutive appearances. Playing in a game where Rugby boots and mud baths were the order of the day, 129 consecutive appearances is quite honestly mindboggling, when compared with modern day calf and thigh strains every 5 minutes. He must have been made of sterner stuff than some of the 'cannot play cos I broke my toe nail brigade of today'

Not to overtax everyone, I will only make my nominations once a week (every Friday) to give others a chance to make their nominations.

Karl
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
I'll do this later, used to speak to my grandad before he passed constantly about the old days, and about his dad going the game.

Could be a good thread, this.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
I'll do this later, used to speak to my grandad before he passed constantly about the old days, and about his dad going the game.

Could be a good thread, this.

Cheers mate all efforts much appreciated.
Expect some major imput from STAFF too if they're reading this

Offline Vlsanfield

• Kemlynite
my dad's a leicester fan  :( my mum's a huge red tho so i love getting LFC related gifts for her lol

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
If you do not have a 100 year history with LFC in your family, you can always take part in Hall of Fame Nominations

royhendo

My Dad started going down to Merseyside to see my uncle in the 50s and 60s after he moved down there with work. Just visits. As tends to happen, the place grabbed hold of him.

The players he loved most when I talked to him about football were the ones who saw the game a bit quicker or in a different way. He'd always talk about Jimmy Johnstone, or Willie Henderson, but he liked the fable about Jim Baxter and Willie Stevenson a lot. So Willie Stevenson was the one he liked ahead of people like Yeats and St John.

But it was that side that gripped his imagination. When my mum died I found his programme for the 74 Cup Final, and a few other ticket stubs, so the habit clearly continued, but we didn't get down til I was 10. Football was the foundation of our relationship though. Liverpool, Dundee United and Scotland.

Offline CRAZY HORSE EMLYN

• Lives for twats
  • Legacy Fan
Nice thread. I have something to submit – I'll need to remove it from it's frame and scan / photograph it first though.
Could see this developing into something more...

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
OK Karl  – As my father isn’t around anymore (W.P Oliver 1924-2006 RIP) and I haven’t any grandparents alive (and even if I did none of them had any interest in football), I’m going it alone on this. So with thanks to LFC History and ‘tinternet’ I’ve been looking at the early years to start with and I’d like to nominate Matthew McQueen as my initial RAWK hall of fame pick.

Of course I don’t know if, as a player, he would be anywhere near some of the greats – only 103 appearances and 7 goals – but reading his profile it’s clear he plays a really important part in our history.  For a start Matt McQueen shares a unique place with these other LFC luminaries - Phil Taylor, Bob Paisley, Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Sourness and Roy Evans – being the first of these ex players to also have the privilege of becoming Manager of Liverpool Football Club.

The player
Birthdate: 18.05.1863
Birthplace: Harthill, Lanarkshire Scotland
Other clubs: Leith Athletic, Hearts, Leith Athletic (2)
Bought from: Leith Athletic
Signed for LFC: N/A October 1892
International debut: 22.03.1890 vs Wales
International caps: 2/0 (at Leith Athletic) - 21.03.1891
Liverpool debut: 29.10.1892
Last appearance: 01.04.1899
Debut goal: 03.12.1892
Last goal: 07.04.1894
Contract expiry: 1899
LFC league games/goals: 77 / 2
Total LFC games/goals: 103

Born in Harthill, Lanarkshire, Matt, capped twice by Scotland as a winger before his move, and his brother Hugh were two of the many Scotsmen recruited by John McKenna and William E Barclay shortly after Liverpool FC was founded in 1892 following Everton’s decision to move from Anfield to Goodison Park.

He made his debut in our debut season of 1892 - 120 years ago - in a 9-0 thrashing of Newton in an FA cup tie and he then went on to play in Liverpool’s first-ever Football League match, against Middlesbrough Ironopolis on the 2nd September, 1893. But even in this first season he showed his remarkable versatility!

Matt would play in a number of different positions during the club's successful inaugural season in the Football League (in fact according to some sources at one point or another he played in every outfield position) but amazingly he even took over from first-choice goalkeeper William McOwen on five occasions, a role he would also fulfil on 36 more occasions in his Liverpool career.  As far as can be established he is the only man in English soccer history (and probably ANY country for that matter) to win two championship medals, albeit in the Second Division, as both an outfield player AND a goalkeeper!  Matt's skills were praised in a Liverpool Mercury report from a home 3-3 draw vs Wolves on 1st December 1894: "His clean, sharp and adroit work placing him in the highest rank as a cool custodian."

However,  when Harry Storer arrived to claim the No. 1 shirt towards the end of the 1895-96 season, even Matt's versatility could not guarantee him a place in the side and he was only selected 6 times during the next three seasons and so at the end of 1898/99 season he retired.

The Manager
Signed for LFC: 13.02.1923
First game in charge: 17.02.1923
Contract Expiry: 15.02.1928
LFC league games as manager: 210
Total LFC games as manager: 229
Honours: First Division champions 1923

After retiring as a player Matt then took the qualifications necessary to become a Football League referee and officiated as a linesman for a brief period in 1904 and then on December 16, 1919 he was appointed to become a Director on Liverpool’s Board.  In normal circumstances I would imagine that would be the end of the story – but nor for Matt.

When LFC manager David Ashworth suddenly and surprisingly left Anfield for Oldham Athletic early in 1923 (had guided the Reds to the league title the previous season), Liverpool turned to the then 60-year-old former player McQueen who would not only keep the team on course for back-to-back titles, but would also remain in the hot-seat for the next five years.  Although the football was good in these first years it wasn’t all great for Matt personally as in 1923 Matt was involved in a road traffic accident whilst on a scouting mission to Sheffield and as a result lost a leg.

After the successive back to back championships of 1922 & 1923, the club’s fortunes declined somewhat with finishes of 12th, 4th, 7th and 9th. But the team started the 1927-28 season in far from convincing form. There were just 6 victories from 17 matches before Manchester United’s visit to Anfield on Christmas Eve. Liverpool eventually finished in what appeared to be a comfortable 16th place out of 22 but that doesn’t tell the whole story. The fight to avoid relegation that year was extraordinary. Middlesbrough finished bottom with 37 points and Tottenham joined them in the Second Division with 38 points. But no fewer than SEVEN clubs with Liverpool among them escaped by finishing on 39 points. However, before that end-of-season drama took place, Matt McQueen had already stood down as manager.

Unfortunately his health had deteriorated further by the end of the decade, but before he stood down, McQueen had made one of Liverpool’s most significant signings ever, South African Gordon Hodgson, a wonderful striker of the ball who would go on score nearly 250 senior goals for the club in less than 400 appearances.

The other thing about Matt I really like is that he became Liverpool through and through after his move from Scotland in the early 1890’s. He lived in Kemlyn Road just a stone’s throw from the stadium and was a frequent and popular visitor; in fact the Centenary Stand now covers the site where McQueen's house once stood. He remained a frequent and popular.visitor to the club for the rest of his life. He died at the age of 81 in September, 1944.

So in the pantheon of greats players he may not sit that high but as a moustachioed one legged ex goalie, defender, midfielder, striker, Director, referee, linesman – who won the championship as both player and manager – he’s right up there with the best.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain