Author Topic: Ian Ayre hits back at Dave Whelan  (Read 17416 times)

Offline gods_left_peg

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Ian Ayre hits back at Dave Whelan
« on: June 5, 2012, 09:11:46 am »
I'm glad someone from the club has spoke out about Whelans shenanigans over the past couple of weeks

IAN AYRE has laughed off claims from Dave Whelan that Roberto Martinez was offered the Liverpool FC manager’s job.

And the Reds’ managing director has hit out at the Wigan Athletic chairman, claiming his constant comments to the media throughout the Reds’ fortnight-long search for Kenny Dalglish’s successor had been “unprofessional” and “disappointing”.

Liverpool confirmed the appointment of Brendan Rodgers as manager on a three-year contract on Friday, with Ayre insisting the former Swansea City boss had always been the club’s number one choice.

This came after Fenway Sports Group, the Reds’ owners, had held preliminary talks with Latics boss Martinez, having been given permission to do so by Whelan.

“Our aim from the outset was to conduct a proper, thorough, search, and do it in the proper manner,” said Ayre.

“From our point of view, we did all the right things. We approached the clubs we needed to approach, and conducted ourselves properly at all times.

“It is disappointing, then, that Dave Whelan felt the need to run the kind of sideshow he conducted via Sky Sports News and various other media outlets.

“To be honest, I always thought John Bishop was the biggest comedian in the north west, but Dave Whelan seems to have taken that mantle over the last couple of weeks!”

Ayre was particularly irked Whelan’s suggestions that a formal offer had been made to 38-year-old Martinez.

“That is patently not true,” he said. “It is important to understand that we ran a proper search to find a new manager, and that part of that involved us speaking to a number of candidates.

“We make no secret of the fact we spoke with Roberto Martinez, but that is all we did. He is a great guy, and I can’t speak highly enough of his professionalism and conduct.

“But for his chairman to make suggestions like he has, and suggestions that just aren’t true, well it is disappointing to say the least. We can say with absolute certainty that the only person who was made any offer by Liverpool Football Club is Brendan Rodgers.”

Rodgers made an impressive start to life at Anfield, speaking openly about his plans for the club at his press conference.

And Ayre is in no doubt that the Reds’ extensive search has left them with the right man in charge.

“What was important was that both of us understand each other’s philosophy,” he added. “They have to be aligned.

“We couldn’t base (the appointment) on what we had seen and heard, we had to sit down and have discussions, face to face. Once we did that, and once we realised how closely our philosophies matched, there was an easy decision to make.

“Both Tom (Werner, chairman) and I were at the Premier League conference last week, and when we saw the honours board, and Liverpool’s absence from it, it really hit home.

“As a fan, as well as managing director, I am excited to take this club forward in a new direction, with a new philosophy, and hopefully to new success.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/06/05/ian-ayre-denies-liverpool-fc-offered-roberto-martinez-manager-s-job-100252-31113431/#ixzz1wu7KxK4R
“This club will always be the most important thing for ­millions of fans all over the world, just like Everton are the most important club to some people." - King Kenny

Offline finnansounderrated

• Main Stander
Re: Ian Ayre hits back at Dave Whelan
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2012, 09:13:50 am »
I think Ayre also shows his distinct lack of class by using the 'John Bishop' gag.  Prat.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2012, 09:15:36 am »
Nice one Ian....Whelan's rampant self puffery needed a response.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2012, 09:18:27 am »
I think Ayre also shows his distinct lack of class by using the 'John Bishop' gag.  Prat.

Kinda agree with this. There's no need for that. Everyone know Whelan is a twat
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2012, 09:19:32 am »
Not sure if that was necessary. And with the risk of making too much of a short quote, I don't understand the need for a new philosophy.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

royhendo

« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2012, 09:22:44 am »
Why even bother? It's as if the Floridian coffee supping stroll never happened, and he's talking about comedians?

Men in suits: shut up about the football stuff.

Offline **Glenn**

• Kopite
    • My twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2012, 09:23:01 am »
Just becoming even more clearer that he's in the wrong position at the club.

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2012, 09:23:39 am »
Not sure if that was necessary. And with the risk of making too much of a short quote, I don't understand the need for a new philosophy.

You think the old one was working?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2012, 09:24:04 am »
cant wait until this time next year when ayre is no longer here

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2012, 09:24:15 am »
I'm glad.  Don't really understand this new, anti-Ayre attitude that's crept onto the board over the past six months.  He's hardly Cecil, after all.  I think it's good to put an ORN cocksucker like Whelan in his place.  The man despises everything about our club and it's nice to show him up.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2012, 09:25:08 am »
No need to ridicule Whelan he's done that himself. Lowering ourselves to his level is a bad move.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2012, 09:26:08 am »
This actually reminded me of an important quality of a CEO that Ayre hasn't shown until now... a backbone. I actually think his joke etc was his attempt at trying to show some authority. Could definitely have far better people in the position, but it's a step for Ian I guess.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2012, 09:27:15 am »
Very Clever tactics complain about Whelan using the press for his own ends and then instead of making an official complaint to the Premier League erm use the press for your own ends. What is the point of getting into a media tit for tat with Whelan, if Ayre has a problem put in an official complaint.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2012, 09:27:26 am »
anti-Ayre attitude that's crept onto the board over the past six months.

Six months? Make that 4 weeks.

Although, it does seem like we should have brought in someone with a bit more authority to this role.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2012, 09:31:28 am »
Why even bother? It's as if the Floridian coffee supping stroll never happened, and he's talking about comedians?

What's that got to do with anything? He said they talked to Martinez, that doesn't mean they made him an offer.

I don't really see what Ayre has done so wrong, other than being the media face of Kenny's sacking, and that was hardly his fault.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2012, 09:32:56 am »
This actually reminded me of an important quality of a CEO that Ayre hasn't shown until now... a backbone. I actually think his joke etc was his attempt at trying to show some authority. Could definitely have far better people in the position, but it's a step for Ian I guess.

Think the joke ensures he totally lacks gravitas, myself. Ian Ayre should print out 'We’re a very very modest club. We don’t talk.' and stick it in his office. The need for the suits to parade in front of the cameras started under Cecil, when he began creeping into photo-shoots with the players at their milestones, and Ayre seems cut from the same cloth.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16 on: June 5, 2012, 09:33:22 am »
Six months? Make that 4 weeks.

Although, it does seem like we should have brought in someone with a bit more authority to this role.

Some people may of been perfectly happy to overlook the fact that Ayre was a H&G appointee who was involved in their destruction of the Club but a lot of us aren't. Could someone please explain the major difference between Ayre and Purslow because I don't get it for me they are two peas in a pod. Purslow might of been the more visible of the two but Ayre was still their in the background allowing it to happen.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Alex7

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: June 5, 2012, 09:35:55 am »
Haha as if people are actually complaining. I think it's fantastic that he's put him in his place, and lets be honest, if the Kenny had said this, 99% of the people complaining would be praising him for it. Good on you Ayre.

Online kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 5, 2012, 09:36:12 am »
I think Ayre is good at his job.
@paulair

royhendo

« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2012, 09:36:22 am »
Devon Red, since when did Liverpool FC and its representatives ever feel they had to dignify idiots with a response? Are we happy letting the shit strewn tails to adhere themselves to the dog and start wagging it?

Wait for Whelan to respond now - it could have been put to bed, but no, we've basically said "Come on then Dave, let's keep this in the media domain, tell us some more about your views on LFC."

Offline Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2012, 09:39:57 am »
Tired of everyone micro analysing everything Ayre says. So he looks a bit dodgy, doesn't mean he isn't good at his job.

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2012, 09:40:27 am »
Hodgson got crucified for not sticking up for the club, and now it seems Ayre is getting the same treatment for doing just that.

Crass joke aside, I think it's quite good that he has shown some balls.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #22 on: June 5, 2012, 09:41:09 am »
Haha as if people are actually complaining. I think it's fantastic that he's put him in his place, and lets be honest, if the Kenny had said this, 99% of the people complaining would be praising him for it. Good on you Ayre.
very true

was the same with benitez when he slagged off sam allardyce in his last season

no real harm done anyway
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 5, 2012, 09:43:14 am »

That's where you are wrong and just shows how little knowledge you have of Kenny. He would not have belittled himself and the club in this manner. Ian Ayre is a Purslow clone. Those of us who can remember his appointment were against it. He is a creep and a worm. The immense praise he got for his commercial success has never sat easily with me. Put it this way, who could possibly fail in promotion of Liverpool's commercial interest? It has been cut in stone already, and that Kenny Dalglish had a small hand in that as well!
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2012, 09:44:05 am »
Dead right. If he'd have left it at the 'disappointing' line it would have been a suitable and professional rebuke, trying to crack gags about it makes him just as bad searching for the headline.

Offline tomred

• yraelo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #26 on: June 5, 2012, 09:47:05 am »
Devon Red, since when did Liverpool FC and its representatives ever feel they had to dignify idiots with a response? Are we happy letting the shit strewn tails to adhere themselves to the dog and start wagging it?

Wait for Whelan to respond now - it could have been put to bed, but no, we've basically said "Come on then Dave, let's keep this in the media domain, tell us some more about your views on LFC."

Spot on Roy, why give an attention seeking media whore like Whelan the oxygen of publicity. You either have a policy of not commenting and rising above morons like Whelan or you deliver a knockout blow at the time. Ayre it seems is incapable of doing either.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #27 on: June 5, 2012, 09:47:37 am »
Just no need. Ian Ayre spends so much time talking about the Liverpool way and doing things properly, but with every new comment, undermines the very point he's trying to tell the world. Cringeworthy for me, I'm afraid.

I would really like to see a proper "chairman" figure, like a David Dein or Brian Barwick - Martin Broughton anyone? That is of course assuming that Tom Werner isn't going to be moving over here any time soon. But I think we need someone in Liverpool, call him a "Vice-Chairman" or whatever, but someone to be the owner's representative on earth - and I don't think Ian Ayre fits the bill.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #28 on: June 5, 2012, 09:50:08 am »
Hodgson got crucified for not sticking up for the club, and now it seems Ayre is getting the same treatment for doing just that.

Crass joke aside, I think it's quite good that he has shown some balls.

The double standards and hypocracy that have become apparent in our fan base in the last month is disapointing to say the least.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline keswick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 5, 2012, 09:50:21 am »
Kinda agree with this. There's no need for that. Everyone know Whelan is a twat

I'm not sure everyone does. LFC fans do, but not the London based media whores!!!

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 5, 2012, 09:50:33 am »
Smacks of a little bit small time and unprofessional for Ayre to get involved in, or even making a responce, to me.

Who knows, maybe behind the scenes, Ayre is feeling the heat, and as such maybe feels the need to remind his masters he's still here.

I don't think this is Liverpool having a dig at Wigan, but moreso Ayre having a personal dig at Whelan, after the critisism Ayre himself took from Whelan over the seperate TV rights comments in the interview Ayre did last year.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7237597/Whelan-slams-Ayre-TV-claim

This just lacks class, all round.     If Ayre really wanted to put Whelan in his place, a tersely worded two liner, last week, would of done, along the lines of ' Liverpool Football Club does it's own business behind closed doors.  That business is of no concern to any other club or individual'.

The timing on this is just way off, and will just give LFC   PR spokesman David Whelan even more excuse to keep himself on his self appointed soap box.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2012, 10:18:05 am by Big Red Richie »

royhendo

« Reply #31 on: June 5, 2012, 09:50:35 am »
Should rephrase for the new breed: "Standard Chartered might not like it".

Online kvarmeismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 5, 2012, 09:50:50 am »
Tired of everyone micro analysing everything Ayre says. So he looks a bit dodgy, doesn't mean he isn't good at his job.

THIS.
@paulair

Offline 5bigears

• Kemlynite
  • Eventus Stultorum Magister Est
« Reply #33 on: June 5, 2012, 09:51:44 am »

THIS

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: June 5, 2012, 09:52:39 am »
There is no pleasing some people. Not at all.
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline petecolonia

• Anny Roader
  • Left of the Sinking Ship
    • Northern Independence Party
« Reply #35 on: June 5, 2012, 09:54:37 am »
whelan acted a complete prat and I'm sure he knows it, he deserves a public earful.. this really isn't a big deal so save your ammo

I learnt from rawk that Rick Parry is the devil and Ian Ayre would be a much better MD if he did...nothing...
« Last Edit: June 5, 2012, 09:57:09 am by petecolonia »
Bunch of centrist wetwipes - Watching Britain sink into obscurity.

Keir Starmer will tank hard. Alan X says I'm a bore, but at least I don't mod forums. That's just sad.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 5, 2012, 09:55:25 am »
Becoming more like Cecil everyday, inappropriate and shows no dignity, everyone in football knows Whelans a joke, events re-inforced this, commenting on it is unwise throwing in the John Bishop line is cheap and pathetic. Ayers is a top exec with our club not a standup comedian, lacks gravitas but gets him a headline on Sky News and more exposure exactly what he was slagging Whelan for.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 5, 2012, 09:55:58 am »

I can't really disagree with that. My point was more that the 'cappuccino sipping' in Miami doesn't have anything to do with Ayre, and I really doubt he was the one holding the axe when Kenny got the chop. Because of his position he has to face the press for decisions made above him, so lets focus criticism on his own words and actions rather than actions of the club more generally. The John Bishop gag was probably a step too far; that's a specific criticism.

Online kvarmeismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 5, 2012, 09:56:31 am »
Rodgers third category of supporters.
@paulair

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 5, 2012, 09:56:33 am »
There is no pleasing some people. Not at all.
No there isn't.

There's a time to do your job, and defend the club, and there's a time for petty spats.

This is the latter.

If he wanted to show his authority and defend the club, maybe he should of got off his arse and stuck his face into the media more, six months ago, when we were getting a kicking from all sides