Author Topic: A future without Steven Gerrard  (Read 44401 times)

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
Re: A future without Steven Gerrard
« Reply #40 on: March 4, 2012, 12:02:07 pm »
Christ, we have more glaring problems than to pick on Steven Gerrard. I would put money on the fact that if he was playing yesterday, it would've been a more favourable outcome. If he's fit, he plays and he has at least another 2-3 seasons in him. End of.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: March 4, 2012, 12:07:07 pm »
Valencia are prime examples on how to adapt to losing your best players.

Villa WAS Valencia, then it was Silva, then Mata. Each time they have adapted the way they play, not looking to replace but to change.

If we were totally serious about being top dogs again, we would be looking to sell on Gerrard and Carra, along with Kuyt. The idea that their past actions should allow them to fade slowly in our team is so against the idea's that won this club so much under Bob. It is not the Liverpool Way to allow players fade out in our jerseys.

That is what it takes to be top dogs. It's why the game is called professional, and not Sunday league.

Agree with that sentiment mate, it's something we really need to get back to doing.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 12:09:30 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 4, 2012, 12:08:08 pm »
The problem is stevie isnt "all round" anymore. He hasnt been for a while. He's still one of the best there is, if played in a position (just behind a striker imo) that suits him. He cant play this deeper role. He is vunerable defensively and hasnt got the players around him (like lucas) to play that deeper role right now. He has nobody to get him out of jail, playing alongside adam is a accident waiting to happen if it hasnt already and as much as jay will bit people's ankles and put them under pressure he isnt no lucas. If you play stevie you play him higher up the field where he doesnt have that defensive responsibility as much. Where players like kuyt, suarez, downing, henderson etc will do the chasing for him.

I said in the commoli thread where steve should play and that should be at the head of a 3 man midfield or sitting behind a lone forward. If we play a rigid 442 (which kenny has played this season) he cant play.

Offline NigelManx

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: March 4, 2012, 12:08:31 pm »
Gerrard on the right is where his short term future lies...He's not the player he was and we shouldnt be surprised at that. I dont think he will ever dominate a game like he used to. He still deserves a place when fit for sure but we cant expect what we had. Replacement mmmm thats tough but he never was a central mid in my eyes

Offline Zelnaga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 4, 2012, 12:11:44 pm »
We should have looked to bring in someone a while back .... even last summer and start bedding him in as Gerrard replacement. We had £35 mill .... you spend that kind of money on a world class players. Not a young talent whos going to take years to develop. But whats done is done. We had opportunity to bed someone in as Gerrard future replacement. We have none.

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 4, 2012, 12:13:55 pm »
If he's fit, he plays and he has at least another 2-3 seasons in him. End of.

To me, this mentality isn't helpful going forwards. Have people been watching a different player to me since August 2009? - he's undeniably gone backwards. Sorry but you can't just say you have to pick him if he's fit. You pick him if he's good enough and if it's the right move tactically. Judge the performances, not the past. Now I think that he is still good enough to be a starter for us, but to just say we should blindly pick him without weighing up his form and age is a big blind spot for a lot of fans. I think the idea that he's used more like Giggs is the right one - as we go forwards he should start getting rested more and used as an impact player.

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 4, 2012, 12:14:36 pm »
We should have looked to bring in someone a while back .... even last summer and start bedding him in as Gerrard replacement. We had £35 mill .... you spend that kind of money on a world class players. Not a young talent whos going to take years to develop. But whats done is done. We had opportunity to bed someone in as Gerrard future replacement. We have none.
I got the feeling that Johnjo was that guy. I wonder how he would have done under Rafa, considering the job Rafa did with Lucas.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 4, 2012, 12:16:39 pm »
Christ, we have more glaring problems than to pick on Steven Gerrard. I would put money on the fact that if he was playing yesterday, it would've been a more favourable outcome. If he's fit, he plays and he has at least another 2-3 seasons in him. End of.
You're right, it isn't the MAIN one, but it still needs to be sorted.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #48 on: March 4, 2012, 12:17:10 pm »
Gerrard will be here for many a year yet. I can see him dropping back to play either centre half or more likely right back once his legs start to go.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline -RedTilDead-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #49 on: March 4, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »
Gerrard on the right is where his short term future lies...He's not the player he was and we shouldnt be surprised at that. I dont think he will ever dominate a game like he used to. He still deserves a place when fit for sure but we cant expect what we had. Replacement mmmm thats tough but he never was a central mid in my eyes

I agree with you.  Of all Gerrard's many considerable qualities his best ability for me is whipping in fast, accurate diagonal crosses into the strikers from the right hand side.  The way Gerrard used to find Torres in the area was wonderful. As soon as he started to do this again on his recent return,  Carroll looked more likely to score and we looked more dangerous as a whole. 
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are." - Homer Simpson

Offline Noble Nayudu

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: March 4, 2012, 12:22:03 pm »
After all Steven Gerrard has given for the Club, for all those competitions he has won single handedly surely it's not asking too much too allow Steven to finish his career in the manner that suits him. Is it really too much to ask for the Club to put it's ambitions on hold for three or four years until we repay the immense debt we owe to Steven Gerrard.

I think Gerrard is still good enough to be playing for a top 6 side.So I don't think we are playing him for sentimental reasons only. But he should definitely retire from England which will happen hopefully this summer. It is Charlie Adam who needs to be replaced at the earliest.

And Carra, on the other hand, is well past it. I don't know how he is ahead of Coates. It is not his fault, I am sure Carra still believes he is good enough to play for us but it is up to Kenny to decide that. So I hope Kenny takes the right decision and starts Coates ahead of Carra. I would even put Kelly ahead of Carra for the CB spot. 

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 4, 2012, 12:22:22 pm »

After the Hicks and Gillett affair, if the owners hadn't spent that money, they would have been slaughtered and there would have been more unrest and animosity around the fan base. The situation needed settling down, and they acted decisively to do that.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 4, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »
I'm confident we'll get a solid 2 seasons from him but it worries me that we won't ever see a player like him again. With the way the market is now and footballers turning into mercenaries and journeymen it will take a very special kind of player to give to a club what Gerrard has to us. Hes carried the club and been unstoppable at times. Henderson is maturing well into a central midfielder with a good eye for the ball but needs time.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 4, 2012, 12:29:23 pm »
Shelvey is the closest we've got to Stevie and he cant even get a game.

Hes a million miles from gerrard to be honest

Offline hedger

• ows
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 4, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »

Ah at last, someone who talks some sense

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: March 4, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »
I prefered it when the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Adam and downing were getting the stick. Seems we've moved onto Gerrard and Suarez too now.

When he's fit he'll play, why? Because he's by far the best player we have in midfield. I mean, for a start, he'd have seen Henderson in a sea of space charging into the Arsenal box.

He's not finished and we're certainly not better without him.

Offline nittinivala

• Anny Roader
« Reply #56 on: March 4, 2012, 12:35:49 pm »
The problem is stevie isnt "all round" anymore. He hasnt been for a while. He's still one of the best there is, if played in a position (just behind a striker imo) that suits him. He cant play this deeper role. He is vunerable defensively and hasnt got the players around him (like lucas) to play that deeper role right now. He has nobody to get him out of jail, playing alongside adam is a accident waiting to happen if it hasnt already and as much as jay will bit people's ankles and put them under pressure he isnt no lucas. If you play stevie you play him higher up the field where he doesnt have that defensive responsibility as much. Where players like kuyt, suarez, downing, henderson etc will do the chasing for him.

I said in the commoli thread where steve should play and that should be at the head of a 3 man midfield or sitting behind a lone forward. If we play a rigid 442 (which kenny has played this season) he cant play.

Exactly!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: March 4, 2012, 12:36:21 pm »

Think that sums it up well

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #58 on: March 4, 2012, 12:48:15 pm »

With Gerrard replacing Adam then Yes. I think tactically Kenny played a blinder yesterday with Suarez and Kuyt dragging the centre backs out of position it was crying out for Gerrard to get ahead of the forwards the way he did against Napoli last season or the way McMahon used to break ahead of the Strikers for Kenny first time around. The two players who we created space for were Adam with Kuyt and Suarez pulling wide and Henderson tucking in to bolster the midfield and Kelly  with Henderson tucking in and allowing Kelly the space to get forward on the right flank.

The biggest problem was that Adam didn't have the quality, the game intelligence or the mobility to exploit the space the formation afforded him and Kelly didn't have the quality to exploit the space he was given.

Johnson at right back and Gerrard with the security and energy of Spearing and Henderson's behind him would of ripped Arsenal apart. The biggest problem though is that Gerrard wouldn't of been a replacement for Adam he would more than likely of played alongside him in a two and would of been happy to sit there and looked to pull the strings, a complete waste of a special talent.

The Napoli game last season is the way forward with Spearing and Lucas as a double pivot a fresh Gerrard completely dismantled a very good Napoli side that has underlined it's quality by dumping City out of Europe. The key to that game was that for the three goals Gerrard was Liverpool's furthest player forward.

The side and tactics we played against Arsenal with Agger replacing Carra, with Lucas replacing Spearing, with Gerrard replacing Adam and with Johnson bombing on instead of Kelly is an absolutely mouth watering prospect. Bring in better quality versions of Kuyt and Downing and for me you have a top drawer side that could compete at the top of the Premiership.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline BarnsleyScouser

• Kopite
  • Best in the World
« Reply #59 on: March 4, 2012, 12:54:41 pm »

Basically i agree with this, It's not like he's lost all his ability, we've seen what hes capable of when he's played in a more attacking role (newcastle) Unfortunately injured to him AND other players have meant Gerrard has had to play a more withdrawn, defensive role for the team. If Lucas hadn't got injured im sure Gerrard would be playing further up the field and we'd be seening a different player out there.

Also comparisons of Shelvey to Gerrard are definitely wide of the mark, Shelvey is never going to be as mobile as Gerrard so i think he'll develop better vision and passing as a result, more like an advanced playmaker.
If showing respect to the 96 and other victims of Hillsborough on the 15th is seen as unacceptable by other teams fans then I am glad I support Liverpool and understand some things are more important than football

Offline frikkibj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #60 on: March 4, 2012, 12:55:49 pm »
i think we should look at Gylfi Sigruðsson

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
« Reply #61 on: March 4, 2012, 12:59:43 pm »
You can't replace players like Steven Gerrard. You have to wait until they are born and hope its in an "L" postcode.
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #62 on: March 4, 2012, 01:16:54 pm »
10 PRINT he's not a central midfielder
20 PRINT he's not a central midfielder
30 PRINT he's not a central midfielder
40 GO TO 10

Remember this again and we might still have a great player for another season or two.
But the central point still stands, we need to be finding a replacement.

?SYNTAX ERROR IN 10
READY.

PS: where do you locate him then? I think he's a polyvalent player who plays anywhere in the midfield.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 4, 2012, 01:21:08 pm »
I think Spearing and Lucas is stronger pair as double pivot.  In modern football less important is strong physical characteristic and more is how to use ball and intelligence positions of players during phase without ball, especial to be able to use short pass and give and go when opposition is pressing.  Such player is for example Joe Allen for Swansea, this would be great player for us and not expensive and Gerrard will be back to old style with clever and technical midfield there.

I agree.

I'd add to this post and say that Gerrard doesn't take up clever positions in the middle third of the pitch. I'm fed up with him standing 5 yards from the CB, it is a waste and makes our build up play predictable and easy to defend against. Without him we looked a better team, if he can make the mental leap from being the conduit through which all our play passes to the mentality of a player who works as part of the team and is not primus inter pares then he can be beneficial to our future.

As for this allow him to decline in the manner he would like - bollocks. Look at Carragher's attitude to being dropped to the bench, it has been exemplary he has put the club before himself and it is admirable. Gerrard, and any Liverpool player, must do the same.

Offline FernandoTourettes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 4, 2012, 01:34:03 pm »
We shouldn't fall into the same old trap of trying to find a direct replacement. As mentioned earlier, Stevie's an unusual breed of being the all rounder. Who is the all rounder at Barca or Real Madrid?

We don't need to find a like to like replacement of Gerrard, in the same way we didn't for Alonso. So many times after he left, we kept hearing "Liverpool have never replaced Alonso". Who else could have replaced Xabi? So just develop a new team and adapt the style of play around the players we have.

Personally, I would give Shelvey more playing time. Would like to see Lucas, Shelvey and Henderson in the middle more next season.

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 4, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »
?SYNTAX ERROR IN 10
READY.

PS: where do you locate him then? I think he's a polyvalent player who plays anywhere in the midfield.

Behind the striker or wide right....Rafa sussed him in 5 minutes.  He might like to think he's a central midfielder, but he's not.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #66 on: March 4, 2012, 01:53:38 pm »
Stevie needs to start doing some Yoga, I wish he could do a Maldini but that is probably unlikely.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #67 on: March 4, 2012, 02:04:01 pm »
You really believe that?

He's no way near his level, but I can see what he is saying - Can tackle, run with the ball and score
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #68 on: March 4, 2012, 02:12:32 pm »
With Gerrard replacing Adam then Yes. I think tactically Kenny played a blinder yesterday with Suarez and Kuyt dragging the centre backs out of position it was crying out for Gerrard to get ahead of the forwards the way he did against Napoli last season or the way McMahon used to break ahead of the Strikers for Kenny first time around. The two players who we created space for were Adam with Kuyt and Suarez pulling wide and Henderson tucking in to bolster the midfield and Kelly  with Henderson tucking in and allowing Kelly the space to get forward on the right flank.

The biggest problem was that Adam didn't have the quality, the game intelligence or the mobility to exploit the space the formation afforded him and Kelly didn't have the quality to exploit the space he was given.

Johnson at right back and Gerrard with the security and energy of Spearing and Henderson's behind him would of ripped Arsenal apart. The biggest problem though is that Gerrard wouldn't of been a replacement for Adam he would more than likely of played alongside him in a two and would of been happy to sit there and looked to pull the strings, a complete waste of a special talent.

The Napoli game last season is the way forward with Spearing and Lucas as a double pivot a fresh Gerrard completely dismantled a very good Napoli side that has underlined it's quality by dumping City out of Europe. The key to that game was that for the three goals Gerrard was Liverpool's furthest player forward.

The side and tactics we played against Arsenal with Agger replacing Carra, with Lucas replacing Spearing, with Gerrard replacing Adam and with Johnson bombing on instead of Kelly is an absolutely mouth watering prospect. Bring in better quality versions of Kuyt and Downing and for me you have a top drawer side that could compete at the top of the Premiership.
Very well put. Gerrard playing right sided and attacking with Henderson/Spearing and Lucas/Spearing behind him is/was the best use of Stevie's talents and I could see him playing that position for years if he is able to maintain his fitness.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #69 on: March 4, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »
Needs to be played closer to the opponents goals, and with a dedicated ball-winner. He hasn't got the legs to play box-to-box like he wants, and his positional play has never been brilliant. It's why he didn't look boss when paired with Xabi.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline The Playmaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 4, 2012, 02:21:17 pm »
It is up to him if he decides to retire from international football. He will be 32 years old before Euro 2012 begins and you have to wonder if he will be a shoe-in for the World Cup in 2014. I wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to carry on but the sensible move seems to be retiring and focussing on helping the club even further. International football is a huge distraction and as we saw, he was injured in a pointless friendly and missed a very big game as a result of that.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #71 on: March 4, 2012, 02:21:57 pm »
Behind the striker or wide right....Rafa sussed him in 5 minutes.  He might like to think he's a central midfielder, but he's not.

Alot has been said about this, but I feel Rafa utilised Stevie to positions where we had shortcomings where the current players we're not performing up to muster, Rafa felt Stevie could play either three roles to his high ability.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline fatlip13

• Anny Roader
« Reply #72 on: March 4, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »
stevie g is our best midfielder, he's getting older and he's not the 2007 version.

personally i think he has to move back and play as the holding midfielder with lucas. then we need an attacking midfielder, shelvey in future not ready now, and a striker to work with luis, i can't see carroll working with what he has shown so far. when we need to 1 of these can come of or stevie just move forward a bit.

in general we will not replace gerrard with a new gerrard. johnson-rush-aldridge-rush-fowler-owen-torres-suarez someone will come along to play in midfield, they might be different in some ways but we will carry on.

i think stevie has already said he is considering retiring from england. hope hogson gets the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 4, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »
stevie g is our best midfielder, he's getting older and he's not the 2007 version.

personally i think he has to move back and play as the holding midfielder with lucas. then we need an attacking midfielder, shelvey in future not ready now, and a striker to work with luis, i can't see carroll working with what he has shown so far. when we need to 1 of these can come of or stevie just move forward a bit.

in general we will not replace gerrard with a new gerrard. johnson-rush-aldridge-rush-fowler-owen-torres-suarez someone will come along to play in midfield, they might be different in some ways but we will carry on.

i think stevie has already said he is considering retiring from england. hope hogson gets the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to play Gerrard as a holding midfielder? Are you absolutely mad?
The main problem with Gerrard when he has been played has been quite simply that he has not been far enough FORWARD, never mind pushing him back.

Alas, as much as I love him, the idea of a previous poster that Liverpool's ambitions should be put on hold for a few seasons for Gerrard's sake probably takes the "Worst Post Of The Week" award.
Unless it was ironic.

Offline fatlip13

• Anny Roader
« Reply #74 on: March 4, 2012, 04:16:13 pm »
gerrards legs are going so he would play more across the pitch and not up and down. how long will he last in the number 10 role. he may have to learn to reign it in a bit but his speed is going and he struggles to get free up against the back 4

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #75 on: March 4, 2012, 04:39:49 pm »

I prefered it when the likes of Carroll, Henderson, Adam and downing were getting the stick. Seems we've moved onto Gerrard and Suarez too now.

When he's fit he'll play, why? Because he's by far the best player we have in midfield. I mean, for a start, he'd have seen Henderson in a sea of space charging into the Arsenal box.

Can't help but feel as though many are missing the point of the thread here - the principle intention isn't to criticise Steven Gerrard.

Our Captain has been absent as much as he's been available since the Summer of 2010 - also consider that a number of those appearances would have been sub appearances or those made as part of the 'road to recovery'.  In addition, we've lost the likes of Xabi Alonso, Javier Mascherano, and Fernando Torres - key to maximising Gerrard's contributions over various parts of the last 8 years.  Furthermore, Newcastle game aside, it appears as though Gerrard is beginning to find it more difficult to get up to speed (following absence) and maintain his previous form (whether linked to absence/injury/team-mates/age-fatigue).

I don't believe for a second that there are people on RAWK who truly believe that the Liverpool squad is better off without Steven Gerrard in it - the problem is that nobody can be quite sure just what his value is to the team any more.  How often will he be available for selection?  How fit will he be when available?  Will he hit for instantly, as we've seen in the past?  What is his level, now?  How does he gel with the rest of the team?

It seems to me that including Gerrard in our pre-season formations serves only to restrict us in our potential - nobody wants him out but depending on the iconic figure smacks of excess sentimentality.  I'd hope, given how the last two seasons have gone, that we change our strategy and consider Gerrard as a luxury - in the summer we need to be on the lookout for a top class partner for Lucas Leiva, not a reliable deputy to cover for Steven Gerrard's occasional absences.  A squad whereby Gerrard is generally considered first name on the bench (and do consider that his versatility pretty much means that this would guarantee him a great number of starts, when available) is what we need if we're to move forwards.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2012, 04:43:05 pm by jackh »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #76 on: March 4, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »
Luis Suarez apart when fit I don't think we have a better player at the club than Steven Gerrard. Maybe not the player he was 3 years ago but still has a lot to offer LFC. In the last 24 hours, I've read people reminiscing about Aquilani and Joe Cole who did very little in a Liverpool shirt. The future is Jonjo Shelvey and Jordan Hernderson.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #77 on: March 4, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »
Valencia are prime examples on how to adapt to losing your best players.

Villa WAS Valencia, then it was Silva, then Mata. Each time they have adapted the way they play, not looking to replace but to change.

If we were totally serious about being top dogs again, we would be looking to sell on Gerrard and Carra, along with Kuyt. The idea that their past actions should allow them to fade slowly in our team is so against the idea's that won this club so much under Bob. It is not the Liverpool Way to allow players fade out in our jerseys.

That is what it takes to be top dogs. It's why the game is called professional, and not Sunday league.

This. You don't look to replace one player, as it is impossible to get a like for like. What you need to do is act pragmatically and adapt the system to what you have. You also have to give youth a chance to succeed. Emery is a great and underrated manager for this reason. I think knowing his injury record, the club should have been looking for a season or two to find players who can bring skills necessary to create a functioning system in Gerrard's absence. It certainly isn't easy, but it's better than trying to knock square pegs into round holes. Probably under Paisley, Carragher would have been put out to pasture on someone else's pitch a few seasons ago and Gerrard would probably be more methodically utilized in the way Giggs has been for United the past 3-4 seasons.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 4, 2012, 05:54:28 pm »
Luis Suarez apart when fit I don't think we have a better player at the club than Steven Gerrard. Maybe not the player he was 3 years ago but still has a lot to offer LFC. In the last 24 hours, I've read people reminiscing about Aquilani and Joe Cole who did very little in a Liverpool shirt. The future is Jonjo Shelvey and Jordan Hernderson.

That's the key, and that's what the OP is talking about.

WHEN FIT, Gerrard is still good enough to be one of our best players.  When he's 80%, he's still good enough to be a very valuable squad player.

The problem is that he's not been fit and he's not going to be fit (even 80%) for large portions of this season and you can expect the same next season.  Ergo, we need to plan for a squad that doesn't depend on him as an integral member.  I don't think we can ever replace him; in 10 years we're going to look back on Gerrard and talk about how we used to watch one of the best to ever pull on a red shirt, and those days are now behind us.  What we can do is make sure that the team doesn't suffer a dropoff in results from him not being there, either by getting as much out of him as we can on the right or off the bench, or in some combination with a younger player who can eventually grow into that role, or whatever.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 4, 2012, 06:02:00 pm »
'A future without Steven Gerrard'..... Sounds more like you want him out now.

Funny thing is, maybe with the exception of City who have a squad to rival virtually anyone across Europe, he'd get into and play regularly for every team in the prem

Be careful what you wish for, it may just come true.

He'd get into the City team ahead of Barry.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.