Author Topic: Tottenham Terminate Terrible Tim  (Read 1216841 times)

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Just how good are Spurs?
« Reply #6640 on: August 31, 2013, 02:15:28 am »
Spurs supporters have now been given something dangerous but wonderful

Hope

They have shown great ambition which you can only applaud, but it has gone both ways in the past this

A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6641 on: August 31, 2013, 02:17:27 am »
Its completely different as the only interest in Suarez was from a direct rival & for half the price! The club/board/manager/Ayre at the moment also seem unable to attract top players so more money is pretty useless this summer. Spurs have done great signing CL quality players without CL football & no oil money wages.

They might not pay the same wages as City or Chelsea, but they have certainly abandoned their long-term wages policy over the last 12 months. In fact, if they fail to get into the Champions League next season, they might be in real trouble.
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6642 on: August 31, 2013, 02:23:59 am »
But if we had an offer from abroad, would you have been happy to sell Luis and get those players in to replace him?

Also don't think they've signed anyone that we couldn't have gotten if we had an extra £90m in the transfer kitty.

They've been able to replace Bale with 4 or 5 players. We'd have been only been able to replace him with 2, maybe 3. Both players have/had equal influence on their team. Hence, Spurs had a much better chance of replacing that influence than we had. It'd be more risky for us to sell Suarez than them to sell Bale simply because of that extra 85m.

Offline stevenalonsa

• Legacy Fan
  • my d.o.b. 30.5.85 same as gerrard
« Reply #6643 on: August 31, 2013, 02:24:27 am »
Really hope Real back-off from bale deal now.  Spurs would look like a fool having spent more than 100 million and no club on earth would spend that money on a single player unless you are messi/ronaldo or suarez :)

Offline vele-srbin

• Main Stander
« Reply #6644 on: August 31, 2013, 02:26:55 am »
Chadli isn't that great. Very inconsistent, in and out of games. Has been average since arriving, but the other buys...

Capoue is all that needs to be said

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #6645 on: August 31, 2013, 02:32:04 am »
Now they have impressive midfield/squad and its about time we'll see where Spurs ends up...the pressure to performance, fans' high expectations and ofcourse the manager to deliver. Good luck!
🔥97🔥

Offline redy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6646 on: August 31, 2013, 02:37:10 am »
I think with lamela and Eriksen they have addressed the final 3rd creativity that was lacking for the last year or so. They still haven't replaced modric and his cm creativity but then United and Chelsea to an extent have shown you don't need a particularly creative cm.

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6647 on: August 31, 2013, 04:05:35 am »
Some top signings as were expected and without being a CL club, show ambition and players will buy into it.

If you're going to compare that to our own difficulties signing top players without the CL, you've got to stick a big "£90m for one player" asterisk on there. If someone plopped that much money in our laps, I'd wager we'd have a much easier time getting players like these as well.

It's really going to be interesting to watch how this experiment unfolds. And it is an experiment - pile essentially an entire 1st team worth of players together in one summer and entrust them to a young manager who's yet to really prove himself at the top level. It certainly could end up being fantastic, and for the next twenty years people'll be talking about how Spurs traded one player for a multi-title-winning team. They certainly look great on paper.

One thing that I figure, though, is that Lamela, Eriksen, and the other young players they've bought will likely wind up not turning out quite as well as they might have had they gone to more stable clubs. However long it takes the team to gel together might basically count as a period of stagnated progression. Either that or it'll build character and they'll all be worth £90m within a year and Spurs will buy 35 new players to replace them.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6648 on: August 31, 2013, 04:14:35 am »
Think someone in this thread got it right earlier.

We wasted our chance to sign the Lamela's, and Eriksen's and Capoue's and so.

We splashed 70m on Carroll, Downing and Henderson. No disrespect to Jordan, as I rate the guy, but we could have been A LOT smarter in the market with the 70m. We're still feeling the effects of the 2011 summer window today.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6649 on: August 31, 2013, 04:23:10 am »
Have Spurs signed Eriksen for sure ?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6650 on: August 31, 2013, 04:27:35 am »
It's official.
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #6651 on: August 31, 2013, 04:28:43 am »

They did together with Lamela and that Romanian lad.

Have Spurs signed Eriksen for sure ?
🔥97🔥

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6652 on: August 31, 2013, 07:59:56 am »
If you're going to compare that to our own difficulties signing top players without the CL, you've got to stick a big "£90m for one player" asterisk on there. If someone plopped that much money in our laps, I'd wager we'd have a much easier time getting players like these as well.

It's really going to be interesting to watch how this experiment unfolds. And it is an experiment - pile essentially an entire 1st team worth of players together in one summer and entrust them to a young manager who's yet to really prove himself at the top level. It certainly could end up being fantastic, and for the next twenty years people'll be talking about how Spurs traded one player for a multi-title-winning team. They certainly look great on paper.

One thing that I figure, though, is that Lamela, Eriksen, and the other young players they've bought will likely wind up not turning out quite as well as they might have had they gone to more stable clubs. However long it takes the team to gel together might basically count as a period of stagnated progression. Either that or it'll build character and they'll all be worth £90m within a year and Spurs will buy 35 new players to replace them.

AVB proved himself at Porto.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6653 on: August 31, 2013, 08:12:53 am »
If Spurs underachieve this season (and that's as likely as unlikely IMO) then all these recruits will see right through the talk, the puffed up arrogance of this wannabe club and will be on their phone to their agent in a heartbeat asking "yeah okaaaay....so, where next?"
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline ArchieC

• Legacy Fan
  • Once a Red Always a Red WE BLEED RED!!
« Reply #6654 on: August 31, 2013, 08:22:54 am »
Can't believe that Romanian kid they signed cried because the move almost failed. Fucken greedy prick.
We all bleed RED!!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6655 on: August 31, 2013, 08:25:37 am »
It's official.

They did together with Lamela and that Romanian lad.

Damn. Suppose they'll use the year to acclimatise before moving to Liverpool for European football next season.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6656 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:24 am »
Honest question - would people be happy if we sold Suarez for 50 and then bought Eriksen, Soldado and Chadli with the money?

It's a good question.  I think if you had left it up to me whether to keep Suarez or see him go abroad and be replaced by Paulinho, Lamela, and Soldado I'd have said yes.  Eriksen and Chadli are good young players, if inconsistent, and I don't think the loss of Suarez would be made up for with just them.  Lamela and Paulinho are the ones that make this summer such a good one for Spurs. 
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6657 on: August 31, 2013, 09:05:58 am »
I don't know much about Chiriches but am I safe in assuming he'll go straight in and partner Vertonghen? They need to address their fullbacks (in my opinion) but other than that they've got an absolutely exceptional squad. Let's hope it doesn't gel for them because if it does they could be dark horses for the title.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #6658 on: August 31, 2013, 09:06:42 am »
SSN saying the deal for Bale is £78m in installments

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #6659 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:16 am »
of course there isnt, nothing is guaranteed in football....but lets be honest they've given themsleves one hell of a chance to succeed.....the perception now is that they're an up and coming club - and when it comes to attracting players - perception is all important...hate to say it but our owners should look on and learn..........colour me fuckin green

Very fair point!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6660 on: August 31, 2013, 09:25:10 am »
SSN saying the deal for Bale is £78m in installments

So what's the net spend this summer, as that's all our fans seem to bang on about with regards to a sign of ambition, about zero? Little over?

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6661 on: August 31, 2013, 09:34:38 am »
Gonna have to change our Gareth Bale chant from "He was born to play for Spurs" to "He was born to pay for Spurs"

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #6662 on: August 31, 2013, 10:02:58 am »
So what's the net spend this summer, as that's all our fans seem to bang on about with regards to a sign of ambition, about zero? Little over?
no idea ?

But don't think spurs are finished spending

Didn't they put in a £30m bid for Mata and can see them buying a let back

Do think levy will spend all the Bale cash plus new Tv money and whatever their budget was before that

So expecting a £40m +++ net spend
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:13:01 am by rocco »

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #6663 on: August 31, 2013, 10:04:25 am »
I think the biggest thing to come from all the spending is that fourth should be the absolute minimum for Spurs now, they've a far stronger side/squad than Arsenal. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I read that they've spent £108m, so about a £30m net spend perhaps.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #6664 on: August 31, 2013, 10:07:54 am »
Gonna have to change our Gareth Bale chant from "He was born to play for Spurs" to "He was born to pay for Spurs"

Surely he's got to go now hasn't he? Because if he doesn't, how do all these signing fall in line with FFP? 110 million spent already and your still after a LB and another striker.

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #6665 on: August 31, 2013, 10:10:50 am »
Surely he's got to go now hasn't he? Because if he doesn't, how do all these signing fall in line with FFP? 110 million spent already and your still after a LB and another striker.

He was gone weeks ago.
YNWA

Offline Bergen Coys

• Kemlynite
  • Coys
« Reply #6666 on: August 31, 2013, 10:11:23 am »
I think the biggest thing to come from all the spending is that fourth should be the absolute minimum for Spurs now, they've a far stronger side/squad than Arsenal. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

We have also sold Caulker for £9m and Huddlestone for £5..
So the net spend is more like £15 and that is assuming the add-ons kick in on our signings.. (which I hope of course)

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6667 on: August 31, 2013, 10:12:03 am »

Yeah, I'm sure he'll go. Levy's just making them sweat whilst he gets all his deals done I expect. Plus if delaying things has any knock on effects on Arsenals business - bonus ;)

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6668 on: August 31, 2013, 10:13:12 am »
He was gone weeks ago.

Yeah probably. Just wish they'd make it official, so they can shut the fuck up about it.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6669 on: August 31, 2013, 10:15:13 am »
Plus if delaying things has any knock on effects on Arsenals business - bonus ;)

Arsenal fans must be going mental. Watching you lot make all these signings, while they've had to make do with a couple of freebies so far.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #6670 on: August 31, 2013, 10:16:40 am »
Wasn't too long ago that Spurs had less points than a triangle, we had the Tommy W suicide watch thread, Appy Arry was in charge and everytime Bale played they would lose. Good times.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6671 on: August 31, 2013, 10:19:02 am »
Wasn't too long ago that Spurs had less points than a triangle, we had the Tommy W suicide watch thread, Appy Arry was in charge and everytime Bale played they would lose. Good times.

I appreciated that. Losing my dearest Robbie was a very hard time for me  :(  ;D

Offline Tarrtarruga

• A friend of Chas 'n' Dave
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6672 on: August 31, 2013, 10:19:37 am »
They might not pay the same wages as City or Chelsea, but they have certainly abandoned their long-term wages policy over the last 12 months. In fact, if they fail to get into the Champions League next season, they might be in real trouble.

Wages will be around the £90m mark as they were last season, this is because more high-earners have left than arrived since the last accounts were published. However turnover has increased so arguably they could go up from where they are. There's never been a cap, although I've read people thought there was, more a general intention not to let wages as a whole exceed 60% of turnover, which of course gives the lee-way to pay better players more and for wages to rise, if appropriate, in line with income.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6673 on: August 31, 2013, 10:19:52 am »

Aaaaahhhh....The good old days...

And I don't care what KH says. If all these signings click for Spurs, they could actually challenge for the title.

Offline Tarrtarruga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6674 on: August 31, 2013, 10:20:50 am »
Chadli isn't that great. Very inconsistent, in and out of games. Has been average since arriving, but the other buys...

Capoue is all that needs to be said

Totally disagree regards Chadli, I think he's been excellent.

Offline Tarrtarruga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6675 on: August 31, 2013, 10:23:28 am »
If Spurs underachieve this season (and that's as likely as unlikely IMO) then all these recruits will see right through the talk, the puffed up arrogance of this wannabe club and will be on their phone to their agent in a heartbeat asking "yeah okaaaay....so, where next?"

Where does that come from? In what way precisely are we puffed up and arrogant and a wannabe club, in contrast say to Liverpool?

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #6676 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:37 am »
I appreciated that. Losing my dearest Robbie was a very hard time for me  :(  ;D

To be fair you took the piss quite well. Fill yer boots Tommy lad, it's going to be a great year for you lot.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Tarrtarruga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6677 on: August 31, 2013, 10:24:51 am »
I don't know much about Chiriches but am I safe in assuming he'll go straight in and partner Vertonghen? They need to address their fullbacks (in my opinion) but other than that they've got an absolutely exceptional squad. Let's hope it doesn't gel for them because if it does they could be dark horses for the title.

Nope he's understudy to Vertonghen. If he remains fit Kaboul remains our best CB, followed closely by Vertonghen.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6678 on: August 31, 2013, 10:25:20 am »
Where does that come from? In what way precisely are we puffed up and arrogant and a wannabe club, in contrast say to Liverpool?

I think a lot of people judge fans by the callers on TalkSport  :D All the Spurs fans I know are right pessimistic bastards  ;D

Offline Tarrtarruga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6679 on: August 31, 2013, 10:27:36 am »

£20m out so far, add on £80m for Bale, and that makes a zero spend thus far. I believe several of our players are subject to bids so might get another £10m or so out of the door, meaning we've probably got another £40m or so we could spend if we wanted to.