Author Topic: Tottenham Terminate Terrible Tim  (Read 1218571 times)

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Just how good are Spurs?
« Reply #5400 on: August 22, 2013, 10:01:57 am »
Is this even done yet? Very little on the main footy sites this morning

Nothing is done yet. No Bale, no Willian.

If though then Spurs is on a massive gamble at the moment. If it doesn´t work out, like it was the case with us a couple of years ago, I am not sure if they will be able to cope with it then.

Furthermore, this massive overhaul isn´t easy to handle, it still the question how quick AvB will be able to bring it all together..

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:04:56 am by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5401 on: August 22, 2013, 10:05:48 am »
Too true. If only some of our fans put as much time and effort into getting behind the club they support than constantly saying how great Spurs are ....

Its really starting to fuck me off. Lucky we only play Spurs twice as according to most here we will probably be smashed 10-0 with how good the new Spurs team is

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5402 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:30 am »
Is this even done yet? Very little on the main footy sites this morning

I expect we're drawing up our "Ok, Bale's left............but LOOK!! New toys!!!!!!!!!" statement

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #5403 on: August 22, 2013, 10:08:29 am »
Given that they are a club not in the CL, they do not seem to have struggled attracting this top talent though, which is an argument put forward for our own failure to sign some of the bigger value players.
It is interesting isn't it.

I can only draw one of three conclusions:

1. These players were not wanted by serious CL clubs, or at least weren't wanted at these prices, which I think is true, and makes you wonder just how good they really are.

2. Spurs are paying big, big wages now for some of these, which I think must be true especially considering where Willian has come from.

3. There is some other draw that we just don't have - London? Europa League? AVB over Rodgers? Belief in project? Jedi mind tricks?

Whatever it is, we can only look after our own progress and trust that, as we are a fundamentally bigger club, we will, if well run, ultimately rise up above them again.

Tottenham are a good club who have been well run. They are demonstrating their ambition by selling their best player but reinvesting every penny. Fair play to them if it works.

We are a great club who have been shambolically run until recently. We are behind Tottenham for this reason and this reason only. We have demonstrated our ambition by signing two top drawer players (regardless of cost) who have now proven themselves in our league for 6 months, and retaining our best player despite a decent bid. Regardless of how much they spent or how well they did in their own leagues, I wouldn't swap Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez for Soldado, Willian and Lamela (if they get him too), so just because we haven't sold and spent doesnt mean they will continue to be better. It is entirely possible that a couple of Brasilians who ahve never played in Western Europe and a 28 year old Spaniard can completely flop.

I am still looking forward to this season and am very, very positive. I find the whole running up of the white flag frankly embarrassing. If Rodgers or one of the players said "that's fourth gone" I would want them ran out of town. We have a chance of getting fourth this season; we are probably 3rd favourites, but that's inevitable given where we are coming from. Perhaps, though, we need to learn the lesson from Spurs that slow steady growth, buying and selling well and not spunking all your money in a rush without due diligence will deliver results. If we do learnt that lesson, and relearn the patience of the past, our ceiling is much, much higher than Tottenham's.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #5404 on: August 22, 2013, 10:12:46 am »
I expect we're drawing up our "Ok, Bale's left............but LOOK!! New toys!!!!!!!!!" statement

;D
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Earl of Dingleberry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5405 on: August 22, 2013, 10:13:54 am »

Wouldnt be surprised to see some of you wearing this soon

More like this...

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #5406 on: August 22, 2013, 10:17:02 am »
fapfapfapfapfapfap ungh*
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #5407 on: August 22, 2013, 10:21:58 am »
More like this...

still need to use my united one

Offline jay.taller.than.spearing

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Klopp
« Reply #5408 on: August 22, 2013, 10:51:08 am »
Cannot wait until we play and beat Tottenham this season , twice !
JFT96. YNWA .

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #5409 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:43 am »
I have a feeling at least a couple of times in every game until Christmas if Spurs aren't winning the commentators will say, following a camera pan to A.V.B "how he'd like to be able to call on the welsh wizard right now.." etc.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5410 on: August 22, 2013, 10:58:18 am »
@Football_P: Reporter:"Tottenham's transfer activity must put Arsenal's top 4 place under threat?"

Wenger,"Honestly, I've heard that for 16 years now."

;D
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #5411 on: August 22, 2013, 11:04:30 am »
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5412 on: August 22, 2013, 11:12:00 am »
They are not our problem anymore. Worrying times for Utd, city and Chelsea.

Hahaha what a complete mug.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5413 on: August 22, 2013, 11:19:45 am »
I have a feeling at least a couple of times in every game until Christmas if Spurs aren't winning the commentators will say, following a camera pan to A.V.B "how he'd like to be able to call on the welsh wizard right now.." etc.
It writes itself. Premier League in itself is a 9-month long TV drama.

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #5414 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:45 am »

Wouldnt be surprised to see some of you wearing this soon

Too true. If only some of our fans put as much time and effort into getting behind the club they support than constantly saying how great Spurs are ....

this is a thread about Spurs FFS, not like Spurs are being discussed all over the forum.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5415 on: August 22, 2013, 11:49:27 am »
this is a thread about Spurs FFS, not like Spurs are being discussed all over the forum.
Only because the mods are policing it. The transfer thread was all Spurs until a couple of days ago.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

Offline arnaldo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5416 on: August 22, 2013, 12:07:37 pm »
Ssn says willian now considering his options. In other words ssn acting the drama.queens to get more viewers
BETFAIR REF CODE NTRDKLEHG FREE £20 BET

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #5417 on: August 22, 2013, 12:08:11 pm »
Credit where it's due is where I'm at.

If you're gona get daft cash for one player, who isn't even a seasoned top performer like literally every single other footballer over £50m in history has been to date, then taking the bull by its horns, extracting every last drop of value from the proposed deal and tranferring it immediately back into the first team (before any payment's even been received!), that's ballsy and sharp, and ultimately what supporters love to see.

I'm not switching my allegiance to Spurs, quite the opposite. ;D But it seems a bit churlish not to give them due props; we'd be fucking bursting with excitement and renewed hope for near-future glory over here if it was us. I badly want them to fail miserably, but caps off to them for now. Hopefully we can augment our own side some more before the moment's gone, and then I can pump myself up even more for a rollercoaster season - no matter where Liverpool are finishing in the table year after year, to me our true 'rivals' will always be the top boys; now it seems we can properly add Spurs to that number, unless it all goes wonderfully, deliciously wrong for them. :D
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline firing squad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5418 on: August 22, 2013, 12:14:57 pm »
Only because the mods are policing it. The transfer thread was all Spurs until a couple of days ago.
that's also understandable since Spurs have been the most active transfer wise.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5419 on: August 22, 2013, 12:17:10 pm »
Credit where it's due is where I'm at.

If you're gona get daft cash for one player, who isn't even a seasoned top performer like literally every single other footballer over £50m in history has been to date, then taking the bull by its horns, extracting every last drop of value from the proposed deal and tranferring it immediately back into the first team (before any payment's even been received!), that's ballsy and sharp, and ultimately what supporters love to see.

I'm not switching my allegiance to Spurs, quite the opposite. ;D But it seems a bit churlish not to give them due props; we'd be fucking bursting with excitement and renewed hope for near-future glory over here if it was us. I badly want them to fail miserably, but caps off to them for now. Hopefully we can augment our own side some more before the moment's gone, and then I can pump myself up even more for a rollercoaster season - no matter where Liverpool are finishing in the table year after year, to me our true 'rivals' will always be the top boys; now it seems we can properly add Spurs to that number, unless it all goes wonderfully, deliciously wrong for them. :D

There's a lot of good sense here. The one consolation about spurs possibly becoming successful is that it will demonstrate that the path we are following can be successful, and if spurs do become successful, they will have done it more or less the right way.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5420 on: August 22, 2013, 12:28:28 pm »
that's also understandable since Spurs have been the most active transfer wise.
To a degree it would be strange if they weren't mentioned at all, but I am talking about an LFC transfer thread.

Offline firing squad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5421 on: August 22, 2013, 12:33:44 pm »
To a degree it would be strange if they weren't mentioned at all, but I am talking about an LFC transfer thread.
that's another thing then, luckily I tried to avoid those threads. :D

Offline Tarrtarruga

• A friend of Chas 'n' Dave
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5422 on: August 22, 2013, 12:38:02 pm »
That imbecile got them into the CL and 4th the season after. I hate Redknapp as much as the next person but Villa Boas got his team to finish a position below.

Last four year's points finishes: 70, 62, 69, 72

AVB faced the same problems Rodgers did last season. Our team was no stronger than Liverpool's, it was full of new players, we'd lost first choice CBs, Modric, VdV, and also for the first half of the season Parker and Adebayor. Our football suffered and no doubt there was a great deal of luck in our final points total. I really rate Rodgers and was gutted when he went to Liverpool, I think he's doing a great job with you. This isn't to say that AVB is better than Rodgers - only time will tell with that one - but it is to say that both did a great job last year!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #5423 on: August 22, 2013, 12:40:07 pm »
All they did was spend the entire chunk of money that Real gave them on good players.

yeah...soft twats
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Tarrtarruga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5424 on: August 22, 2013, 12:43:51 pm »
That is true but Willian made that move to Shaktar, a 30M move from there will have no doubt come with a big pay rise, especially when the team he moved to is splashing out on transfers and wages lef,t right and center.

Big signing on fee, third party ownership...? I know we only pay Adebayor £90k (only!!!!! :)), because he blackmailed City into paying him the full transfer fee.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5425 on: August 22, 2013, 01:14:32 pm »
Last four year's points finishes: 70, 62, 69, 72

Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas faced the same problems Rodgers did last season. Our team was no stronger than Liverpool's, it was full of new players, we'd lost first choice CBs, Modric, VdV, and also for the first half of the season Parker and Adebayor. Our football suffered and no doubt there was a great deal of luck Bale in our final points total. I really rate Rodgers and was gutted when he went to Liverpool, I think he's doing a great job with you. This isn't to say that Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas is better than Rodgers - only time will tell with that one - but it is to say that both did a great job last year!

I agree, I think both managers have got something about them. Like Luís André de Pina Cabral e Villas-Boas over Rodgers, Spurs are further ahead on the development curve, and I think they were last year, too, in my view. You have been progressing for years under the consistent stewardship of a good owner whilst we have flailed from one flawed plan to another. It is only the last year where we have started to even vaguely steady the ship, and the results are paying some dividends, but as you know, it is a long, hard process without a petrodollar or Oligarch billlionaire.

The acquisition of Sturridge and Coutinho in Jan was a masterstroke and has progressed us immensely, and the (presumed) loss of Bale will hurt Spurs very, very badly. Time will tell if the courage they have demonstrated in reinvesting every penny of the money bears fruit.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:21:38 pm by Red number seven »

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5426 on: August 22, 2013, 01:23:12 pm »
Tottenham in advanced talks to buy the houses blocking LFC's plan to expand Anfield

;)

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5427 on: August 22, 2013, 01:23:58 pm »
It's interesting to see Spurs spending the money on top class players. It's also interesting to see that these players actually have the desire to play for Spurs. But, if there's anything that Man City or Chelsea (even QPR to a certain extent) have taught us is that a team that looks good on paper does not mean that it will look good on the field. A team has to gel and that will require time. Despite Arsenal having all their injury woes, I still think they have that extra edge over Spurs. Only time will tell.

They might have the manager now who can take them up that critical step?  Villas Boas got a point to prove.  Can he prove it?  Let's see.

It's never easy to climb that ladder with a balance book approach not only against the established money but also the "oil" money being pumped into the league.  And Spurs' push, despite "failing"  for "16 years", has been relentless and they are now very close.  I think we may well draw a few lessons from them, may it be good or bad.

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5428 on: August 22, 2013, 01:28:02 pm »
Big signing on fee, third party ownership...? I know we only pay Adebayor £90k (only!!!!! :)), because he blackmailed City into paying him the full transfer fee.
Thing is, Anzhi are trying to regain the money they have spent and change their business plan altogether, so I'm not sure they are comparable to Mansoor et al who seemingly are still happy to spend with abandon. Would it make sense for them to still be paying a significant chunk of Willian's wages? I doubt it. 3rd party ownership's banned in English football, btw.

I would be really interested to know how much Willian is on. It is difficult to believe he wasn't on big cash at Anzhi, and even more difficult to believe he would accept a move that would significantly reduce his income. There are, of course, "lump sum" ways around it but that again adds to the initial investment which seems pretty high.

Interested to know what you think - is this summer a departure from Levy's prudence in an attempt to break into the CL?

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5429 on: August 22, 2013, 01:28:41 pm »
Tottenham in advanced talks to buy the houses blocking LFC's plan to expand Anfield

;)
;D

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #5430 on: August 22, 2013, 01:33:46 pm »

;)
:lmao You shouldn't be surprised if it comes out in the press

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5431 on: August 22, 2013, 01:37:01 pm »
What's with the "No Spurs" in the STFU forum?

Does it mean "No Spurs talk"?  Or does it mean "No, Spurs, leave our transfer targets alone!".

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #5432 on: August 22, 2013, 01:38:13 pm »
Is it true Lucas took pics of the LFC Trophy room and sent it to Willian?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #5433 on: August 22, 2013, 01:39:04 pm »
So because they are Spurs, they will never ever win anything again no matter how good their team is?

Is that what you are saying?

I dunno why we get so riled when someone says something based on reality.
I know there are some sound Spurs lads on here, I do BUT djeefels..

It's been 65 years since football began and Spurs have had many, many, many, many opportunies to really make their mark on English football, but haven't. Even the blueshite managed to do something with their talents, but Spurs? Nope.

Arsenal on the other hand who are/were in the same position, has done it and still do- and they are neighbors! So there is something akin to bottle involved in this.

Killer is offering an opinion, which has proved right so far- let it be. "Banter" is worse than what was said. Spurs have invested so much over the past few seasons and had some wonderful players, but as is typical(ahem... "bottling"...) they've done what exactly?

I'm not saying they'll never amount to anything- I'm jumping to the poster's defense because she's being grilled for saying something that can be established by looking at their record. Why would you be irked about that? It's based on fact.
killer-heels opinion is proven right- let her be.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:42:42 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #5434 on: August 22, 2013, 01:52:33 pm »
I know its hard to beleive but the FA cup used to be massive - really huge.

Offline firing squad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5435 on: August 22, 2013, 02:01:10 pm »
I know its hard to beleive but the FA cup used to be massive - really huge.

it still is to be honest.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5436 on: August 22, 2013, 02:03:35 pm »

ouch  :D
YNWA

Offline Tarrtarruga

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5437 on: August 22, 2013, 02:40:05 pm »
Thing is, Anzhi are trying to regain the money they have spent and change their business plan altogether, so I'm not sure they are comparable to Mansoor et al who seemingly are still happy to spend with abandon. Would it make sense for them to still be paying a significant chunk of Willian's wages? I doubt it. 3rd party ownership's banned in English football, btw.

I would be really interested to know how much Willian is on. It is difficult to believe he wasn't on big cash at Anzhi, and even more difficult to believe he would accept a move that would significantly reduce his income. There are, of course, "lump sum" ways around it but that again adds to the initial investment which seems pretty high.

Interested to know what you think - is this summer a departure from Levy's prudence in an attempt to break into the CL?

What I meant was that there's a way for the reported wages to be low, but the player's real income to be much higher. I was referring to the wages he reportedly received at Anzhi. I think that if we buy him we'll probably be buying him off Anzhi and the third party who own his contract and I guess Willian will be an investor in that third party so he will receive part of the fee. This model means the player can make a killing and take lower wages (less tax etc). Once/if he signs for us he won't be able to try that trick again, he'll be fully owned by us, but if he receives £5m as part of the transfer then that will top up, say, reported wages of £3.5m to actual income of £4.5m over five years (£67k p/w to £86.5k p/w), but if he only plays for us for four years then it will be £4.75m p/a (£91k p/w) etc.

I've no idea if this is how it works, it's pure speculation on my part, but it at the very least it shows a credible way in which reported wages don't necessarily have to tell the full story.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #5438 on: August 22, 2013, 02:41:16 pm »
Here we go again. Some journo lurking around here would come up with an article how LFC trying to hijack the deal with this bit being the main reason for him to reconsider his options

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #5439 on: August 22, 2013, 02:45:29 pm »
But Levy took pictures of his bank balance and sent them to Willian.