Author Topic: round table Liverpool 1-1 Norwich  (Read 23402 times)

Offline PhlegmJehst

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: round table Liverpool 1-1 Norwich
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2011, 11:52:49 am »
same old story with us which saddens me but in truth we are maybe the 4 or 5th best team in England and its gonna take a lot for us to improve on it, the foundations are there but i still think there is something missing, not sure what it is, whether its management or players or both.... cant see past us fighting tooth and nail for 4th place this season, if we get a bit of luck we might just get into the Champions League, its what we should be aiming for realistically...

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2011, 11:59:40 am »
^

And that is the aim. Still, get on a bit of run and who knows. I think we are yet to peak. It will happen around Feb-Mar.
Justice for the 96

Offline james791

• Kopite
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2011, 12:09:33 pm »
I dont think it is quite the crisis a lot of people have made the situation to be. We hit the woodwork, what, 4 times? Had they gone in, we would have been pretty content with a 4-1 or 5-1 scoreline. Unfortunately, they didnt. Sh!t happens. I would have been more concerned had we not mustered that many chances on goal. In all honesty, I cant criticise Suarez as although he may have missed a handful of chances, at least he was in a position to take them.

Having said that, I do have a faint worry that the rest of the team doesnt seem to be chipping in with its fair share of goals. It seems to have been a problem ever since Rafa took over. Barring Gerrard and arguably Kuyt, who else scores regularly for us? Could be down to the formations i suppose.
"No dont actually do it! Have some self re-cocking-spect"

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »
you do get games like this but good sides wouldnt have allowed norwich much of a sniff especially after going a goal up.

there is a fine ballance between trying to kill a game off and alowing the opposition back in.

we seem to be ont he wrong side of that line regardless of how many chances we missed.

we clearly are not mentally strong enough at present and its those types of players we need to get in.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »
Depends how you define a good side. Members of good sides normally are well acquainted with each other on and off the park. They develop close understanding and "routines" through long hours on the training pitch and under match conditions such that there's almost a telepathy going on at times - remember the suspected telepathy between Tosh and Keegan?? 
Good sides tend to get better as a unit and of course this betterment process is evolutionary and sadly takes time - unless you're very very lucky indeed.

It appears to the watching world that KD doesn't yet know who deserves to figure in his Best Liverpool Side. If he did, LFC would have a more settled look about it.

I commend the re-launched Take That's No 1 hit record of 2006  to you......  ::) ::) ;) ;)
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2011, 01:31:30 pm »
Totally agree with this.
Suarez is a Beardsley, Kenny type player. We are missing an Aldo, Rush type player at the moment.
Andy Carroll could be that player if we give the lad a chance and have a little patience with him..

...or a Fowler or...dare I say Torres-type?

Agreed but the lad NEEDS TO START!  Play Stevie in what is proven to be his best position, behind the striker!  Suarez and Downing either side of Stevie, Lucas and Adam in front of the back four of Kelly, Skrtel, Dagger, Enrique

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2011, 01:38:39 pm »
Get back to basics, back to when we were most impressive in the past few years. Get Carroll up front, Suarez on the left, Gerrard in the hole, and either Downing or Kuyt on the right, Lucas and Hendo/Adam in the middle of the park. Clearly the 4-4-2 won't work against teams with 3 players in the middle of the park.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2011, 01:50:08 pm »
The main thing that is worrying me at the minute is lack of clean sheets, the not converting chances is not worrying me as much because we are creating a lot of chances but things that can't be helped get in the way ie a defender or the keeper makes a good save, but our lack of clean sheets is not good, not much has changed and I would say our back four has got better from when Pepe used to win the golden glove every season so I don't know if its lack of concentration or maybe new players coming into the side and not gelling yet but one things for sure it needs to be sorted soon before its too late.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline meff

• istoffeles?
  • Kopite
  • does your dog bite?
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2011, 02:09:58 pm »
Well that was the most fluent we have looked at home for a few years.  The movement, in the first half particularly, was brilliant and we were creating chances at will.  Clearly there are still issues that need addressing with the team but a bit of luck in front of goal and we would have been happily celebrating a comfortable victory this morning.

It was and what a difference a year makes. This time last year we were struggling to move the ball out of our own half against "lower" opposition at home. I sensed that an over-urgency to bury the game in the first half may ultimately have been our undoing, with a catalogue of poor decisions/judgement and errors we forced upon ourselves in and around the box, ok perhaps a bit of bad luck in the mix but that comes with the territory.

There's also the issue of our inability to keep a clean sheet: when was the last time one goal was enough? this just puts more pressure up top and on the other side of the coin our recent inability to convert chances puts pressure on the defence: psychologically a vicious circle if you look at it from that angle. Just a case of the lads keeping their heads up while these things are worked out and us doing our bit to make sure the heads don't drop.
For those about to Klopp! We salute you

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2011, 02:46:59 pm »
We have conceded 46 chances at home. That is a big issue for me. Even arsenal have had few chances conceded against them, this needs to be resolved for me.

Tighten up at the back and let our front players as there doing from january onwards last year.

Offline Keso

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2011, 02:47:45 pm »
Much has been said regarding our tendency to fall back letting our opposition get control over midfield so won't get into that one. Other thing that struck me the most was our fluency getting in to the final third, combined with our inability to play the ball within our strengths into the box. Too many times our final ball was up in the air instead on the ground just to loose possession. If the tactic is to flick the ball, why no target-player at the receiving end? For me the game was crying for Caroll to at least put in a physical appearance and he should've come on for Bellamy last 30 minutes, imho.

One could argue Ruddy saved Norwich but Reina actually did the same.

Offline 1770ben

• Anny Roader
  • Fay ce que vouldras
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2011, 02:50:32 pm »
To be fair I think that this league is a lot closer than its ever been .Teams are dropping points left ,right and centre. As much as we should be winning games like Saturdays, at least we didn't lose it. Yes ,of course its frustrating, but I'd be more frustrated if we weren't creating ANY chances. I'm sure most people will be ultimately happy with 4th at the end of the season, and I see no reason why we won't.

Also , I think that you have to admire the likes of Norwich/Stoke/Wigan etc etc . Whatever style of football they play, they know that every point is as crucial tp them as it is to us. Fair play to them, thats what I say.
Fay ce que vouldras.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2011, 03:24:10 pm »
A disappointing result. We weren't clinical enough in our finishing, despite having several sparkling chances that either hit the post, were saved or barely slid around the post. The more disappointing part was that like the previous week against Manchester United, we let Norwich back into a game, which we had dominated from the start. Even if this is to be a transitional season, the current over reliance on Suarez is worrying. The likes of Kuyt provided little assistance to him all game. I thought Carroll should started this one and was disappointed to not see him come on earlier. The subs never really worked out. Agger being brought on for for the largely ineffective Kuyt in the dying minutes, when Maxi was on the bench, was nonsensical. I would have preferred to have seen Carroll, Henderson and/or Maxi, being brought on at the expense of Kuyt and Bellamy earlier in the second half. Downing was having a poor game, but he has the ability to bring the most out of Carroll.

I think integrating Carroll into the team is a must over the next few weeks. Playing a higher line would also be advisable to get the best out of the width Johnson and Enrique can provide, but I can't see it occurring anytime soon, as Carragher won't be dropped at any point this season.

Offline socrates the sophist

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2011, 03:45:31 pm »
Absolutely disappointing result. Commolli talked about Pace being the target in the transfer window. But to be honest I feel we are slower than we were under Kenny last season. Plus we are working harder than we you used to in attack. What happened to the slick pass and move under kenny last season? now we seem to be running more than necessary with a very slow-paced passing.
Plus we seem to be getting it wrong this season, we are play narrow in attack and wide in defense. What happened to our rapid, compact closing down last season. We should be looking to replicate the Man City, Fulham games every time.  Last season there was no space between the line when we defended because we were so compact. This season I don't even see the MCs doing there defensive duties. Bizarre

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »
Absolutely disappointing result. Commolli talked about Pace being the target in the transfer window. But to be honest I feel we are slower than we were under Kenny last season. Plus we are working harder than we you used to in attack. What happened to the slick pass and move under kenny last season? now we seem to be running more than necessary with a very slow-paced passing.
Plus we seem to be getting it wrong this season, we are play narrow in attack and wide in defense. What happened to our rapid, compact closing down last season. We should be looking to replicate the Man City, Fulham games every time.  Last season there was no space between the line when we defended because we were so compact. This season I don't even see the MCs doing there defensive duties. Bizarre

Interesting post. For me the second half of last season, our two best players bar suarez were spearing and maxi. They have barely started a game. Spearing did his passing quick and gots us moving forward, he also pressed the ball like only adam can dream of. Maxi, was in his element, quick , short passing brought the best oout of him and he in turn brought the best out of other players and the team. All that has been fucked off at the minute, and it certainly has affected our play.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2011, 03:54:07 pm »
same old story with us which saddens me but in truth we are maybe the 4 or 5th best team in England and its gonna take a lot for us to improve on it, the foundations are there but i still think there is something missing, not sure what it is, whether its management or players or both.... cant see past us fighting tooth and nail for 4th place this season, if we get a bit of luck we might just get into the Champions League, its what we should be aiming for realistically...

Certainly not management. KK got the Hodgson team improved ten fold. We do lack a proper right winger and could do with another striker. Maybe a bit more pace in central defense too.

KK is the man. Stay firm

Offline rkgriffin

• Anny Roader
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2011, 03:57:45 pm »
Are we really that far off though?  We have had three games at home that we were up 1-0 and in control of the games creating multiple chances.  If we were to nick a second goal in those games we would be on 21 points, 2 clear in second place and we would all be talking about what a genius Kenny is and how great the players are.

Sooner or later the shots have to start going in.  We can't keep missing penos, hitting the wood work and blowing chances in front of the net.  One thing I don't see us fixing is giving up cheap goals.  I see a lot of 2-1 games in our future. 

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2011, 03:58:50 pm »
I know it's been done to death, but I think the numerous valid points about the defence are spot on. Yes we've had interchanging right backs due to injury but the unit isn't functioning as it should be. Whether this is because we are now less solid in midfield because of a system change to be more attacking I don't know but it definitely needs addressing.

Again, done to death, but now that Dagger's fit again would it be too much to ask to see some rotation in the team and a back four of Johnson, Agger, Skrtel and Enrique? Last season at the start of Kenny's reign there was a period when we used that CB combination due to injury and we were nigh on impregnable at the back.

More than ever it's a squad game - as Man City demonstrate - where these days even your best players get rotated, let alone those who are off form and/or bringing the curtain down on an illustrious career. There's absolutely no room for sentiment in football, the team is the only thing and I don't see how we  can work out our genuine best 11 if certain combinations aren't given a chance to work.

As far as Norwich goes - one of those days! Happens in football all the time and everyone knows a 1-0 lead is hardly anything. If you can't kill teams off you will more often than not get punished, and unfortunately we were, as we were against Sunderland, Man U and at the weekend. On the positive side, it's a phase that every team integrating new players into a new or altered system goes through. It bodes well for the future and I can absolutely GUARANTEE that come february/March time we will be playing bad ass football and getting results. Inclusive of Andy Carroll.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2011, 04:35:20 pm »
I think its such a shame that Carroll's opportunity didn't find the back of the net. It would have been a joyous moment for us and for him and maybe got people off his back a little. I do find it strange that the mood changed  very quickly from pundits and fans from anti Carroll to "He should have played, we would have scored" - I think a lot of fan reaction tends to be built very much on hindsight. I imagine if you swapped Suarez and Carroll around, the same cases would be made but for the other player  :wave

Come on lads, Suarez had Ruddy pull off three superb saves to stop him. If he had netted a hat trick we wouldn't be talking about signing an Ian Rush.

The football we played (whether it was against 'opposition' like Norwich or not) in the first 20 minutes was breathtaking in my opinion. A different style than I am used to than under Benitez (with few exceptions like Juventus at home), and if we had scored a couple early on, I think we could have absolutely hammered them. We almost played a sort of 2-6-2, with the full backs bombing on and a force of red shirts penning them into their half and their box at times, with Gerrard occasionally stood next to Carragher after Skrtel had run forward, spraying passes in different directions. For 20 minutes Norwich looked panicked and lost.  We were inter changing passes right, left, foward, back, diagonal, within midfield and then eventually spraying it forward to the likes of Enqriue, Bellamy, Johnson or Downing who would try to attack the back four (or 8 if we include the bank of 4 in front of them) with pace, crossing, or feeding balls back to players in better positions, keeping it away from Norwich, but passing, moving, passing, moving, like the mantra of old. It was awesome to watch and they couldn't live with it. If we could finish (a phrase used often unfortunately this past week) we could have been home and dry pretty quickly.

I felt like that before when we played against Sunderland. Again against Bolton (with the just rewards) and again in spells against Stoke. The football expansive, quick, direct and full of determination- literally just lacking a finishing touch. We had United on the back foot for the last 10 minutes and deserved to win then as well.

It's led me to believe that we have been categorised wrongly. I have an Arsenal fan who often says "I've not been impressed with your start" and I laugh, because if we had turned over the likes of Sunderland and Norwich like we should have, then we'd only be a point behind United if you keep the Stoke result as it was.

And we've not been far off.  Yes, it counts for fuck all, the points we do have on the board are what counts, but I think at the very least we've lost maybe some of the expectation from the media already as we have fallen into a position of the league table we have occupied for 2 seasons now, our perceived 'level'.

There's a poster on here who said "At least we are making the chances, if we were getting these same results but not making chances, that's when I'd be really worried". And he's right. Totally, utterly right. Some of the misses have been from world class saves, paint taken off the posts or crossbar, or inches, inches wide.

The positive I can take from our start is, I guess, that we have played 9 games and won 4 of them. In the other 5 I feel we have been desperately unlucky in 3, and unfortunate in 1, but deservingly beaten by Tottenham. I wish we were higher in the league, I think the team will come good. Patience is a word mocked on here and I agree, but I do think we need 5-6 games to fully judge our start. The football's been good, it's been better than before, and we'll be higher than last season. Progress is what we're after.

So the question I pose at the end of my post is this.... Does it not make a change to be much better off than last year, enjoying watching the football again and coming away from games feeling distraught to NOT have won due to chances missed, rather than gutted at a guttless performance? There are figures bandied about everywhere, questions put to the Dalglish signings, but they are making the chances, we're passing, moving, grooving again. I'm sure it'll come in time. I have faith in Kenny.

Excellent post Hij!
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2011, 04:46:49 pm »
1. Something which has really bugged me all season is our inability to win second balls. Carragher is shit in the air, so any team can lump it at him if they have a decent aerial presence up front and they all seem to pick up the pieces. Even if the possession is sloppy, it gives them a really easy way to get from back to front quickly and for getting possession in a dangerous area. Even though it keeps happening we don't seem to react to it. Wolves were getting joy out of it. Their hopeful long-balls should them giving possession back to us, rather than putting us under pressure.

2. Composure - completely AWOL in the second half, and we started to try scoring with every possession of the ball, as if someone was actually taking a glib Bill Shankly comment literally (stick the ball in the net and we'll decide what do later). We never put our foot on the ball and moved their defence around. It was always get it to Suarez try to create a chance. Maybe I'm being unfair because we still did create some chances, but it was all huff and puff and bluster, no fucking calm, reasoned getting the ball into a dangerous position, make the right, decision, execute.

3. It still feels better missing a shitload of chances/having the goalie play a blinder and draw 1-1 than be clinically unable to create chances and suffocating your own fans with totally joyless football like we for large stages of the last two seasons.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2011, 04:55:56 pm »
The biggest concern I have is our fitness. Our late flurry aside, there was a twenty minute period from about the 70th minute where the game was passing us by. Some of our players looked absolutely dead on their feet. And if there are any Liverpool fans still out there that don't rate Lucas Leiva, rewatch this game and see how many times Steven Gerrard was totally unaware of his surroundings in key areas of the pitch. Norwich had players running at Skrtel and Carragher time and time again.

We should have won - we created enough chances to see off about three or four games - but you've got to give credit to Norwich. I think Lambert exploited the weaknesses in our midfield well. The balance was completely out of kilter. Adam can't cover enough ground in a four-man midfield at the best of times. Alongside Gerrard, whose tactical awareness is average at best, and it's a recipe for disaster. And yet, despite this, there are still cretins around that see this as our best option, like the moron beside me in the betting queue who predicted a 4-0 win because that 'useless' Lucas wasn't playing.

It's easy to say this in hindsight, and Kenny's selection would have been justified had we converted our chances, but he simply had to use Henderson or Spearing. It doesn't matter if it's Norwich or Barcelona. These are fundamentals. You can't have gaps all over your midfield. You will invariably be punished.

The other tragedy is Andy Carroll, whose confidence will be at rock bottom again. The goal in the derby which should have kick-started both his season - and potentially his Liverpool career - has been buried and if Kenny is going to use him, you have to say that his signing grows more and more questionable as the weeks go on.

Oh and last but not least, where the fuck is Maxi Rodriguez?

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2011, 05:44:43 pm »

Good post.

This was a match we should have won.  Norwich, particularly first half were incredibly naive, and we exploited that to the full, yet only scored from a lucky deflection, although possibly the ball was goal bound anyway.

There is no doubt that we created chances a plenty, but the most telling stat is shots on target, we had 9, Norwich 7.  The first half saw us have the vast majority of the possession and chances.  BUT, and it's an important but, second half Norwich had more possession and had they had any nous at all would have won.  Once Holt came on and scored, they had us on the back foot. 

Midfield was a problem.  First half, with us attacking so much, the positional and defensive deficiencies apparant weren't punished.  As soon as Norwich changed formation and wised up a bit, they strolled goal side of our midfield with remarkable ease.  I'm not sure who was meant to be playing the more holding role, or if the task was meant to be shared, either way, it didn't work.  Adam twice dribbled his way up the pitch and then fell over looking for non-existant fouls.  The first time Norwich scored 2 passes later, the second time they would have bar the best save of the day from Pepe.  Adam in a midfield 2, asking for trouble IMO and we paid.  I don't think it's a  coincidence that Adam's best game for us has been the one game where we played with a midfield 3, where Adam's defensive inadequacies were masked by the extra CM doing the donkey work for him.

In contrast, I'm not unduly bothered by Gerrard in a  midfield pair in general, when properly match fit, I think he does OK, he presses, he tackles, and positionally he's not bad.  He does tend to be better with a more defensive cover alongside him though incase he goes galavanting off up the pitch.  But Adam and Gerrard was never going to work, and Norwich got in behind them with a free run at our defence numerous times second half.  I hope we never have this central pairing again, and as soon as Norwich brought on Holt, Kenny would have been prudent to have brought on either Spearing or Henderson to protect the lead.  People may rile at the thought or protecting a lead against Norwich but we have shown time and time again this season that keeping a clean sheet is a problem to us.  Kenny didn't and Norwich scored.  As Adam did little positive of note second half I think he should have been subbed.  Who knows, a more defensive CM in there and we might have protected our one goal lead.  We'd still have been disappointed, but we'd have had the 3 points.

Is there any point me discussing the CB's.  I mean, it looks like Carragher is going to be a fixture for Kenny for a long time to come. I'm not anti Carragher, but  it's disappointing that Coates isn't getting a chance.  Home v Norwich, who played with 1 striker for most of the match, is surely the perfect game to blood him in?  If not, what is?  Skrtel I thought was very good, covering and defending well.  A most telling statistic though; Norwich caught us offside 9 times.  How many times did we catch Norwich offside?  A big fat zero.  Defence too deep.

I thought Norwich defended as a team really well, something I just wish our team would do.  Our entire midfield (Bellamy, Adam, Gerrard, and Downing) attempted 18 tackles in the whole game, yet Suarez attempted 13 all on his own (chalkboard stats).  Now I might be on the wrong planet here, but does anyone else see something arse about face with that?  Why are our midfielders, when Lucas doesn't play, so reluctant to press and hassle and tackle?  What happened to last season's high tempo pressing game?  Are we not doing that any more? Is it not what Kenny wants?  And that lad Barnett for Norwich  is a really good defender, his never say die attitude has much to be admired

Defensive frailties, a dysfunctional midfield, many missed chances and some bizarre subs.  Disappointing.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:46:37 pm by leivapool »
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2011, 07:10:33 pm »
Our entire midfield (Bellamy, Adam, Gerrard, and Downing) attempted 18 tackles in the whole game, yet Suarez attempted 13 all on his own (chalkboard stats).  Now I might be on the wrong planet here, but does anyone else see something arse about face with that?  Why are our midfielders, when Lucas doesn't play, so reluctant to press and hassle and tackle?  What happened to last season's high tempo pressing game?  Are we not doing that any more? Is it not what Kenny wants?  And that lad Barnett for Norwich  is a really good defender, his never say die attitude has much to be admired

Defensive frailties, a dysfunctional midfield, many missed chances and some bizarre subs.  Disappointing.

This stat proves what is pretty obvious to see on the pitch and it has to change. At the moment it´s only Kuyt, Suarez, Lucas and Johnson trying to press properly.. We clearly have to improve our denfending as team and unless we do that, playing a higher defense line would make it just look different how we concede our goals.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2011, 07:24:46 pm »
It was an entertaining match between what looked like fairly evenly-balanced teams. The pitch was so open it was scary. Partly this was due to the sheer enterprise and ambition of the visitors (I can see why they were said to have deserved greater success at OT and SB) and partly it was because our defence finds it difficult to move beyond the D even when we have the ball well in the opposition half. The result was loads of room to play. The man who exploited it best was Houlihan who pulled more strings yesterday than did Gerrard and Adam together.

Once again Luis Suarez proved to be one of the most exciting players in the world - and one of the unluckiest. All the chances he misses are made entirely by himself, often out of nothing. Take him out of the team and we'd see the poverty of our attack.

Naturally, being myself, I was particularly struck (again) by the utter lack of 'conversation' between Suarez and Kuyt. They have nothing to give each other. It's like an astronomer trying to talk to an astrologer. It can't be done. They're looking at the same things but have no shared concepts or language to start a dialogue. I'd keep the astronomer, naturally, and ditch the astrologer.

Yesterday, even more than normal, it was clear that almost all of Kuyt's running is when we don't have the ball. I'll grant that can be useful. But it leaves him nothing for when we do have the ball. Then Kuyt is stationary. Unbelievably static. And he's especially static when Suarez has possession. Is this because he's spent all his energy on his famous tracking back thing or is it because the mental wheels are grinding so slowly when the Reds have the ball that he simply doesn't know where to run? The latter I think.

Whatever, Suarez needs help. And he needs it quickly. I'd give the lad who scored in the Derby another chance.

Wish we had a Modric-type player.

Don't know where that came from. 

Maybe Comolli can pull another one out of his hat.

Oh, just a word about their goal. English football has some of the bravest players going. Holt's not got a lot in his locker but that was an incredible header. To go for it full throttle like that with three opponents jumping with you (and one of them allowed to use his fists). Hats off to the man.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:30:35 pm by yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »
We have conceded 46 chances at home. That is a big issue for me. Even arsenal have had few chances conceded against them, this needs to be resolved for me.

Tighten up at the back and let our front players as there doing from january onwards last year.

Bollocks!

Define "chances".  We had something like 25 attempts at goal against Norwich but I wouldn't class all 25 as "chances".  I'd say we had around 6 or 7 "chances" as opposed to Norwich's 2.

Sunderland I can recall having 2 at the most.  Bolton we conceded 2 real chances and I honestly don't think United created that many.  Think they only had the one.  Think Wolves might have had 2 or 3.

If we conceded 46 chances we must have created around 120!

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2011, 08:10:39 pm »
It was an entertaining match between what looked like fairly evenly-balanced teams. The pitch was so open it was scary. Partly this was due to the sheer enterprise and ambition of the visitors (I can see why they were said to have deserved greater success at OT and SB) and partly it was because our defence finds it difficult to move beyond the D even when we have the ball well in the opposition half. The result was loads of room to play. The man who exploited it best was Houlihan who pulled more strings yesterday than did Gerrard and Adam together.

Once again Luis Suarez proved to be one of the most exciting players in the world - and one of the unluckiest. All the chances he misses are made entirely by himself, often out of nothing. Take him out of the team and we'd see the poverty of our attack.

Naturally, being myself, I was particularly struck (again) by the utter lack of 'conversation' between Suarez and Kuyt. They have nothing to give each other. It's like an astronomer trying to talk to an astrologer. It can't be done. They're looking at the same things but have no shared concepts or language to start a dialogue. I'd keep the astronomer, naturally, and ditch the astrologer.

Yesterday, even more than normal, it was clear that almost all of Kuyt's running is when we don't have the ball. I'll grant that can be useful. But it leaves him nothing for when we do have the ball. Then Kuyt is stationary. Unbelievably static. And he's especially static when Suarez has possession. Is this because he's spent all his energy on his famous tracking back thing or is it because the mental wheels are grinding so slowly when the Reds have the ball that he simply doesn't know where to run? The latter I think.

Whatever, Suarez needs help. And he needs it quickly. I'd give the lad who scored in the Derby another chance.

Wish we had a Modric-type player.

Don't know where that came from. 

Maybe Comolli can pull another one out of his hat.

Oh, just a word about their goal. English football has some of the bravest players going. Holt's not got a lot in his locker but that was an incredible header. To go for it full throttle like that with three opponents jumping with you (and one of them allowed to use his fists). Hats off to the man.

The ball from midfield was too slow all game. Kuyt (who is now past it for me, before he would have a bad run, now he has a good run) relies on quick ball into feet. Alonso supplied that from deep and very early. Adam and even Gerrard yesterday just took too many touches before deciding what to do with the ball. By the time they did pass it, Suarez and Kuyt were in no mans land as they made their move earlier.

Xavi once said that the thing that made Sergio b world class was he rarely took or needed a second touch. It meant that once the ball was passed to Sergio, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi could all make their move early, leaving their markers for dead. That allowed the chain reaction of movement and passing they are famous for. Even Masch has started to make that first time pass, even if it's only a five yarder and the ball comes back to him. Lucas can do it all game. Maxi does, and even Spearing is quite good at it. Adam isn't , often Gerrard doesn't (not to sat he cannot) and both together can left it very hard for our forwards to create movement.

We are blessed that Suarez can make the differance himself. A huge amount of the chances we had came from him doing something special, out of nothing. I cannot remember our midfield two making any chances of note.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »
Good post.

"This was a match we should have won.  Norwich, particularly first half were incredibly naive, and we exploited that to the full, yet only scored from a lucky deflection, although possibly the ball was goal bound anyway."

So the ball was goalbound anyway so this is really a pointless statement?  We exploited Norwich's naivity.  Not like United or Chelsea you mean?  You sure we didn't "cause" it?

"There is no doubt that we created chances a plenty"

So we are creating chances - just not taking them.  Didn't we hit the woodwork a few times?  So there is not a problem with taking them eh?

"but the most telling stat is shots on target, we had 9, Norwich 7"

Is it?  I'd say the score was the most telling stat but Norwich had 2 chances.  One Holt should have scored from and the other he had no right to win.  He doesn't make many errors but Pepe's fault that one.  The point is, its where these seven shots were from.  Ged used to rattle on about that stat but if all 15 shots in a game are from 35 yards it's not like we missed 15 sitters is it?

The first half saw us have the vast majority of the possession and chances.  BUT, and it's an important but, second half Norwich had more possession and had they had any nous at all would have won.  Once Holt came on and scored, they had us on the back foot.

But Norwich didn't have the nous did they?  If we'd have had the "nous" in the first half it would not have mattered if Norwich had brought Holt on and not took anyone off because the game would have been dead and buried.  All if's and buts of course.

Midfield was a problem.

Honestly?  We weren't fantastic but should have scored 3 or 4 minimum

First half, with us attacking so much, the positional and defensive deficiencies apparant weren't punished.

Wonder why that is? How the bleeding hell do Norwich punish us when they didn't have the ball in the first half?

As soon as Norwich changed formation and wised up a bit, they strolled goal side of our midfield with remarkable ease.

I honestly recall Norwich having the better of the game for 15 to 20 minutes - I suppose it comes down to what you want to see and what your agenda is?

I'm not sure who was meant to be playing the more holding role, or if the task was meant to be shared, either way, it didn't work.  Adam twice dribbled his way up the pitch and then fell over looking for non-existant fouls

Don't get the correlation between these two statements

The first time Norwich scored 2 passes later, the second time they would have bar the best save of the day from Pepe.

The best save of the day from Reina?!  Honestly?  I'm sure Ruddy at the other end would argue against you on that point.  You fail to point out that the worst save of the day caused the equalising goal too.  Otherwise, top analysing!

Adam in a midfield 2, asking for trouble IMO and we paid.  I don't think it's a  coincidence that Adam's best game for us has been the one game where we played with a midfield 3, where Adam's defensive inadequacies were masked by the extra CM doing the donkey work for him.

He ain't a defensive midfielder so I can't dispute that.

In contrast, I'm not unduly bothered by Gerrard in a midfield pair in general, when properly match fit, I think he does OK, he presses, he tackles, and positionally he's not bad.

In honesty, I don't think Gerrard is a fantastic central midfielder.  Look at the FA Cup final in 2001 when he played the role of Viera's puppy dog.  How much did he learn from that game?  Not enough.  Gerrard for me is much better pushing further forward.  In an advanced role he is World Class - in central midfield he relies to much on his energy when gets caught out of position.  That said, I have to admit the game against the Manc's before is injury in March was probably the most disciplined I've seen him in centre midfield

He does tend to be better with a more defensive cover alongside him though incase he goes galavanting off up the pitch.

Totally agree 

But Adam and Gerrard was never going to work, and Norwich got in behind them with a free run at our defence numerous times second half.

2 or 3 times.  Does this equal numerous?

I hope we never have this central pairing again, and as soon as Norwich brought on Holt, Kenny would have been prudent to have brought on either Spearing or Henderson to protect the lead.

This is Norwich City bringing on a beefed up pub league player that's built like and about as pacy as me - not like Barcelona bringing on Andreas Iniesta!

People may rile at the thought or protecting a lead against Norwich but we have shown time and time again this season that keeping a clean sheet is a problem to us.

Our main problem is not protecting a lead or going to kill the game - it's the obligatory 10 yards we drop back and then lose all shape and energy

Kenny didn't and Norwich scored.  As Adam did little positive of note second half I think he should have been subbed.  Who knows, a more defensive CM in there and we might have protected our one goal lead.

If we put our chances away, your constant dig at Charlie Adam doesn't materialise.  What about the chances Suarez missed?  What about Pepe's error?  Love them both to bits but lets see things how it happened eh?

We'd still have been disappointed, but we'd have had the 3 points

Yes, I'd have cried my fucking eyes out into my Happy Villa chip shop curry if we'd have won 1-0!

Is there any point me discussing the CB's.

Absolutely fuck all point whatsoever but I know you just will

I mean, it looks like Carragher is going to be a fixture for Kenny for a long time to come. I'm not anti Carragher, but  it's disappointing that Coates isn't getting a chance.  Home v Norwich, who played with 1 striker for most of the match, is surely the perfect game to blood him in?  If not, what is?  Skrtel I thought was very good, covering and defending well.

So Pepe drops a bollock - but yet Carragher, who did very little wrong in my eyes is to blame - I really don't understand this statement.  I'd love Coates to start playing more but support your reason for not wanting Carragher there with some sort of substance.

A most telling statistic though; Norwich caught us offside 9 times.  How many times did we catch Norwich offside?  A big fat zero.  Defence too deep.

There is two sides to this though isn't there?  If Norwich only push forward for 15-20 minutes of the second half then they are less likely to be caught offside.  The two bulky luggers that they had up front in the last half hour were just too slow to get into our box let alone sprint into an offside position!

I thought Norwich defended as a team really well, something I just wish our team would do.

But if Norwich had lost 4/5-1 you could not have argued?...or maybe you could?

Our entire midfield (Bellamy, Adam, Gerrard, and Downing) attempted 18 tackles in the whole game, yet Suarez attempted 13 all on his own (chalkboard stats). 

If we and Norwich's defence have the ball what do you want us to do?  Tackle each other?  Pointless statistic.

Now I might be on the wrong planet here, but does anyone else see something arse about face with that?

And the penny finally fucking drops.  Mork calling Orson!

Why are our midfielders, when Lucas doesn't play, so reluctant to press and hassle and tackle?  What happened to last season's high tempo pressing game?  Are we not doing that any more? Is it not what Kenny wants?

Because the central midfield was set up to take the game to Norwich.  It's Norwich at home for Christ's sake.  Other managers have been taken to the grill for being too defensive / tactical against the likes of Norwich.  We go at them and pin the back for 2/3rd's of the game and it's still not right for some.

And that lad Barnett for Norwich  is a really good defender, his never say die attitude has much to be admired

Be careful!  You'll make it sound like Norwich didn't in fact outplay us by the words "Never Say Die" attitude from a defender!

Seriously.  Just read what you type - the irony.  "Defensive frailties" - we conceded 2 clear chanes.  "Dysfunctional midfield" -maybe it wasn't the best but it was definately not the worst  "Many missed chances" dead right - so we did create many chances.  Thanks for that - I thought Saturday was all a dream!

In a nutshell, we created a hat full of chances, we took one and got punished by a big lump up front.  If we take the chances then balls all is said.  Pepe catches the ball and fuck all is said.  Yes we need to improve but a wasteful performance is being spun around and turned on its head to be an absolute shite performance.  Norwich worked hard and are on form - credit where its due.  It was never going to be 4 or 5 nil but it could have been.  Chelsea and United didn't rip Norwich apart so we don't have the God given right for them to come to Anfield and roll over.  Where they missed 2 or 3 at Old Trafford, they took one at Anfield.

Let's congratulate Norwich on a dogged performance and lets concentrate on the real problem which is converting more of our 6 or 7 chances we had.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2011, 09:08:16 pm »
Some really good analysis of our scoring issues from Dan Kennett on TTT, well worth a read (it's a free one)

http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/10/waste-not-want-not/

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2011, 09:09:51 pm »
Just plucked this from the "Patience" thread

Our stats, according to the Beeb.
Norwich: 25 attempts, 1 goal
Man Utd: 14 attempts, 1 goal
Everton: 15 attempts, 2 goals
Wolves: 14 attempts, 2 goals
Spurs: 5 attempts, no goals
Stoke: 20 attempts, no goals
Bolton: 17 attempts, 3 goals
Arsenal: 13 attempts, 3 goals
Sunderland: 11 attempts, 1 goal

Don't recall the 3rd goal versus the Arse (I was bladdered mind) but this is the statistic we need to improve on.  It's ok pressing midfield or holding a higher line but we must drastically improve on our chances taken.  I'm not saying that there are not tactical and positional 'tweaks' needed - and I'm not saying all these are clear chances but 134 attempts on goal and only 12 goals makes grim reading.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2011, 09:15:52 pm »
Some really good analysis of our scoring issues from Dan Kennett on TTT, well worth a read (it's a free one)

Very interesting and very accurate as well

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2011, 09:24:23 pm »

And the penny finally fucking drops.  Mork calling Orson!

I get it, your opinion is the only correct one, and mine is all wrong, how silly of me,   :wanker

Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2011, 09:26:47 pm »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2011, 09:53:36 pm »
I get it, your opinion is the only correct one, and mine is all wrong, how silly of me,   :wanker

Leivapool - there is an element of truth in your post.  But, my point is that you stick the knife into Carragher and Adam ( you aren't alone in this ) but you completely ignore the two main guilty parties in that match - Pepe Reina and Luis Suarez.  If Pepe catches the ball and Suarez notches 3 of his chances we are looking at a comfortable win.

I think Pepe and Luis have been brilliant so it hurts me to be critical of them.  But to single the other two players out - which appears to be a RAWK trait of late - is a little unjust on this occassion.  It is like a broken record at times.  We all know Carra has had is better days and Adam needs to settle in but when neither have been poor its unfair.

For me, the poorer performers on Saturday were Dirk and Stewart Downing.  Dirk is a fantastic player and Downing has been good until the last few games but you never really mention these two.

And I'll go back to my main point.  We are not the finished product which is important to realise.  We are, however, missing far to many chances and that is the main reason we are so far behind the top four right now.  I honestly don't believe it is totally down to who plays centre midfield, whether its 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 or any other formation or how high we hold our line. True, these are important factors but whatever formation we play we seem to create around 6 or 7 goalscoring opportunites and take only one.  It is early days but we are approaching the point in the season when we need to start converting our fair share.

I apologise for the "and the penny drops" comment but it really is poor on here lately.  Too many people referring to chalkboards and statistics that can be bent to prove anything.  That isn't aimed at you personally - there are many.  It's looks really good because some points are important - but sometimes the obvious is ignored because Norwich put a Transit van-esque lump upfront who took three players into the back of the net and we missed a shed load.

Once again, sorry for that comment - just a bit annoyed with the "want it now" brigade.

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2011, 10:04:23 pm »

Once again, sorry for that comment - just a bit annoyed with the "want it now" brigade.

I am not worried about getting 'it now'. Like most I like to see progress and understand the direction our club and first team are going in. Hence the reason for coming on here and trying to get a general view and starting and joining in to try and create an area in which we can try and understand. We may never be a Kenny or Rafa, but the will to learn seek is very strong for many.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2011, 10:16:53 pm »

This is decent but it's written too early and is an example of mis use of statistics to me to prove an obvious point
If you've watched any of our games you'll know a couple of things a) we've been creating chances b) we haven't been taking enough of them.

That's not really the question - the question is why.
It's tempting to suggest there's a problem with the team or the players we have but it's a far more likely that we've 'been unlucky' as a team in this department.

A couple of things suggest this - first of all our 'clinicality' (ridiculous word that needs to be banished) is ridiculously unsustainably low - it's almost impossible that we'll be that far below average (with the squad / payroll we have)
Also that entire statistic is suspect - there's far far too much variation between the teams...there's just no way that after 38 games they'll be that big a spread (from 0% to 58%) between the teams.

Despite the amount of work the writer's put into the article in statistical terms it's nowhere near enough sample size to draw any kind of conclusion about how teams take chances ....except the obvious that we haven't!

Long term I'd be far more worried about our defence than our attack

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2011, 10:26:57 pm »
Now I didn't watch this game and just seen the highlights anyone want to break it down for me in a few sentences?

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2011, 10:33:23 pm »
Leivapool - there is an element of truth in your post.  But, my point is that you stick the knife into Carragher and Adam ( you aren't alone in this ) but you completely ignore the two main guilty parties in that match - Pepe Reina and Luis Suarez.  If Pepe catches the ball and Suarez notches 3 of his chances we are looking at a comfortable win.

I think Pepe and Luis have been brilliant so it hurts me to be critical of them.  But to single the other two players out - which appears to be a RAWK trait of late - is a little unjust on this occassion.  It is like a broken record at times.  We all know Carra has had is better days and Adam needs to settle in but when neither have been poor its unfair.

For me, the poorer performers on Saturday were Dirk and Stewart Downing.  Dirk is a fantastic player and Downing has been good until the last few games but you never really mention these two.

And I'll go back to my main point.  We are not the finished product which is important to realise.  We are, however, missing far to many chances and that is the main reason we are so far behind the top four right now.  I honestly don't believe it is totally down to who plays centre midfield, whether its 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 or any other formation or how high we hold our line. True, these are important factors but whatever formation we play we seem to create around 6 or 7 goalscoring opportunites and take only one.  It is early days but we are approaching the point in the season when we need to start converting our fair share.

I apologise for the "and the penny drops" comment but it really is poor on here lately.  Too many people referring to chalkboards and statistics that can be bent to prove anything.  That isn't aimed at you personally - there are many.  It's looks really good because some points are important - but sometimes the obvious is ignored because Norwich put a Transit van-esque lump upfront who took three players into the back of the net and we missed a shed load.

It felt pretty personal but maybe I'm the sensitive type.  Apology accepted.

I disagree about Carragher.  i didn't criticise him, becuase really what's the point?  He is what he is, good and bad points.  The reason I raised him is because I feel Coates should be getting blooded, look at what Man U have done with Smalling.  Started off getting some game time, now doing pretty well.  It gets to the point where the 33 year old has to be gently eased in to retirement, starting with youth getting some chances.  Personally I'm not in the anti Carra brigade, but I am a realist, his best days are behind him, and we have to think of the future developemnt of our defence.  So on that point you got me all wrong.

Whilst i agree with your point that Dirk and Downing weren't great, It was the "Where the fuck is Maxi" point from garstonette's post that I most agreed with  Dirk adn Downing escape criticism because they didn't obviously screw up.  It's the way things are isn't it?  Suarez gets prased if he creates a goal, or scores, Carra gets praised for amazing last ditch tackles and slated for a missed header leading to a goal.  The tracking of a runner that Lucas does to prevent a goal scoring opportunity, or the space Maxi makes to give Suarez the room to score, these things are almost completely missed by the average fan. 

The reason Pepe and Luis get cut slack is that both have been outstanding for a sustained period.  In fairness to Luis, he creates most of his own chances.  if he wasn't a little genius the chances would never have been created.  It's also important to remember that he was bought to play alongside Torres, the clinical finisher.  As we've seen with Uruguay, where he has Forlan/Cavani, he's better with someone up there to help.

You're right about Adam.  I'm not a fan, and it isn't becuase he's still settling in.  He displays the same positive and negative tendencies he had at Blackpool.  For me, he just isn't the style of footballer I enjoy watching,  his huff and puff, impatient passing, and dare I say lack of game intelligence infuriates me.  Firstly I like pass and move players, one touch football, (Barca being the expert exponents of this style).  Secondly I want to watch technically superior players, players who don't need time to pick a pass, players who inherantly know where there team mates are.  Intelligent players who are always on the move ready to receive a pass.   Lucas, Maxi, Aurelio, Meireles (when he was here) players who value possession of the football, all these type of players I enjoy watching.   Think about that last goal we scored away at Wolves early this year, the 31 pass move.  Thats the type of football I want to see us play.  Would that have happened with Adam in the team?  I'm 99% certain it wouldn't have, he wouldn't have had the patience.  This doesn't mean I don't go the game and cheer for Charlie when his name is announced as loudly as I do for the rest of the team, cos I do, I just don't enjoy watching his style of game.  At the same time, I do understand that it isn't Charlie's fault Kenny utilises him in a  midfield 2 which certainly doesnt play to his strengths.

I've been supporting Liverpool for many decades, and certainly am not one of the want it now brigade, too many grey heairs for that.  But, games like Norwich disappoint me.  I think we are at a point in the teams development where we have a small but positive confidence.  Winning is habitual, it creates confidence, no matter how.  grinding out results and seeing an ever improving league position inspires more confidence.  At the moment ours is fragile.  it won't be helped by a draw against Norwich.  Once we had scored, I would argue that we should have tried to shut up shop, add another midfielder to stop Norwich getting in behind, Hoolahan was having a field day with all the time he was getting allowed in midfield.  Even if we never created another chance, had we stopped Norwich scoring, we'd have had 3 points.  Negative?  Perhaps, but once the points start going on the board confidence increases, and the chances will just start to go in.  It's the reason we keep sitting back in the second half.  The team isn't yet convinced it can see the game out, and twice this season they haven't, and other times, Wolves for example, we almost didn't. 

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2011, 11:14:24 pm »
I am not worried about getting 'it now'. Like most I like to see progress and understand the direction our club and first team are going in. Hence the reason for coming on here and trying to get a general view and starting and joining in to try and create an area in which we can try and understand. We may never be a Kenny or Rafa, but the will to learn seek is very strong for many.

It is frustrating but I don't think we are a million miles away from being a very good team.  I think progress is there, its just frustrating when it is occurring a number of games after it first occurred.

If we'd have deservedly drawn against Norwich then fair do.  We are having control of games and not just against the Norwich's and Wolves.  We dicated the United game and when they eventually decided to move the bus, we could easily of won.

It's early days and no one knows what will happen to the teams above us.  As hard as it is and as many times as it has been said, I think we all need a bit more patience and see where we are after Christmas

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2011, 11:18:23 pm »
This is decent but it's written too early and is an example of mis use of statistics to me to prove an obvious point
If you've watched any of our games you'll know a couple of things a) we've been creating chances b) we haven't been taking enough of them.

That's not really the question - the question is why.
It's tempting to suggest there's a problem with the team or the players we have but it's a far more likely that we've 'been unlucky' as a team in this department.

A couple of things suggest this - first of all our 'clinicality' (ridiculous word that needs to be banished) is ridiculously unsustainably low - it's almost impossible that we'll be that far below average (with the squad / payroll we have)
Also that entire statistic is suspect - there's far far too much variation between the teams...there's just no way that after 38 games they'll be that big a spread (from 0% to 58%) between the teams.

Despite the amount of work the writer's put into the article in statistical terms it's nowhere near enough sample size to draw any kind of conclusion about how teams take chances ....except the obvious that we haven't!

Long term I'd be far more worried about our defence than our attack

I think that is the aim though mate.  It is early days so the sample size cannot be big - but - during that time we have missed chance after chance.

Spurs aside, there isn't a massive amount to suggest our defence is suspect - we've just been unlucky in that every mistake we seem to make we are punished.  There aren't that many mistakes being made to be fair.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2011, 11:30:19 pm »
It felt pretty personal but maybe I'm the sensitive type.  Apology accepted.

I disagree about Carragher.  i didn't criticise him, becuase really what's the point?  He is what he is, good and bad points.  The reason I raised him is because I feel Coates should be getting blooded, look at what Man U have done with Smalling.  Started off getting some game time, now doing pretty well.  It gets to the point where the 33 year old has to be gently eased in to retirement, starting with youth getting some chances.  Personally I'm not in the anti Carra brigade, but I am a realist, his best days are behind him, and we have to think of the future developemnt of our defence.  So on that point you got me all wrong.

Whilst i agree with your point that Dirk and Downing weren't great, It was the "Where the fuck is Maxi" point from garstonette's post that I most agreed with  Dirk adn Downing escape criticism because they didn't obviously screw up.  It's the way things are isn't it?  Suarez gets prased if he creates a goal, or scores, Carra gets praised for amazing last ditch tackles and slated for a missed header leading to a goal.  The tracking of a runner that Lucas does to prevent a goal scoring opportunity, or the space Maxi makes to give Suarez the room to score, these things are almost completely missed by the average fan. 

The reason Pepe and Luis get cut slack is that both have been outstanding for a sustained period.  In fairness to Luis, he creates most of his own chances.  if he wasn't a little genius the chances would never have been created.  It's also important to remember that he was bought to play alongside Torres, the clinical finisher.  As we've seen with Uruguay, where he has Forlan/Cavani, he's better with someone up there to help.

You're right about Adam.  I'm not a fan, and it isn't becuase he's still settling in.  He displays the same positive and negative tendencies he had at Blackpool.  For me, he just isn't the style of footballer I enjoy watching,  his huff and puff, impatient passing, and dare I say lack of game intelligence infuriates me.  Firstly I like pass and move players, one touch football, (Barca being the expert exponents of this style).  Secondly I want to watch technically superior players, players who don't need time to pick a pass, players who inherantly know where there team mates are.  Intelligent players who are always on the move ready to receive a pass.   Lucas, Maxi, Aurelio, Meireles (when he was here) players who value possession of the football, all these type of players I enjoy watching.   Think about that last goal we scored away at Wolves early this year, the 31 pass move.  Thats the type of football I want to see us play.  Would that have happened with Adam in the team?  I'm 99% certain it wouldn't have, he wouldn't have had the patience.  This doesn't mean I don't go the game and cheer for Charlie when his name is announced as loudly as I do for the rest of the team, cos I do, I just don't enjoy watching his style of game.  At the same time, I do understand that it isn't Charlie's fault Kenny utilises him in a  midfield 2 which certainly doesnt play to his strengths.

I've been supporting Liverpool for many decades, and certainly am not one of the want it now brigade, too many grey heairs for that.  But, games like Norwich disappoint me.  I think we are at a point in the teams development where we have a small but positive confidence.  Winning is habitual, it creates confidence, no matter how.  grinding out results and seeing an ever improving league position inspires more confidence.  At the moment ours is fragile.  it won't be helped by a draw against Norwich.  Once we had scored, I would argue that we should have tried to shut up shop, add another midfielder to stop Norwich getting in behind, Hoolahan was having a field day with all the time he was getting allowed in midfield.  Even if we never created another chance, had we stopped Norwich scoring, we'd have had 3 points.  Negative?  Perhaps, but once the points start going on the board confidence increases, and the chances will just start to go in.  It's the reason we keep sitting back in the second half.  The team isn't yet convinced it can see the game out, and twice this season they haven't, and other times, Wolves for example, we almost didn't.

I can't disagree with much of that.  Maybe your point on Adam but to be fair, he hasn't set the world on fire.

I honestly don't think that having Maxi in the team on Saturday would have changed much.  Yes he's intelligent and I rate him highly.  Would he have improved the team - I think he would but I just feel we are in a phase that so how many chances we create we will score just one.  Be it luck or ability.

I've said it before in other posts, we'll either lose what confidence we have and create balls all or we'll put 6 past someone.  We can't keep putting shots against the post and the keepers pulling off 2 or 3 world class saves week in week out.  Sooner or later (hopefully) something will fall for us.