Author Topic: Sky Sports  (Read 314949 times)

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
Re: Sky Sports
« Reply #3080 on: September 13, 2020, 06:54:28 pm »
Sky have been making cuts for years, they have been slowly loosing sports coverage over years due to increase competition from the likes of BT and Amazon starting to dip their toes in. The pandemic has lead them to make some cuts, the Sunday Supplement has been cut also.

I would say it's a bit unfair them going with a year left, also they have kept Stelling and Merson who doesn't add anything that the other don't. Stelling has been doing show for 25+ years which is far too long.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:22:03 pm by Illmatic »
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3081 on: September 13, 2020, 07:30:39 pm »
Sky have been making cuts for years, they have been slowly loosing sports coverage over years due to increase competition from the likes of BT and Amazon starting to deep their toes in. The pandemic has lead them to make some cuts, the Sunday Supplement has been cut also.

I would say it's a bit unfair them going with a year left, also they have kept Stelling and Merson who doesn't add anything that the other don't. Stelling has been doing show for 25+ years which is far too long.

Didn't realise it was that long

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #3082 on: September 13, 2020, 08:47:55 pm »
Well after a big night out last night I tuned in to watch Sunday Supplement followed by Goals on Sunday. Neither on any more. Disappointing as I liked them both
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #3083 on: September 13, 2020, 09:21:19 pm »
Well after a big night out last night I tuned in to watch Sunday Supplement followed by Goals on Sunday. Neither on any more. Disappointing as I liked them both

No GOS either? What do they show instead?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #3084 on: September 13, 2020, 11:15:25 pm »
Sky have been making cuts for years, they have been slowly loosing sports coverage over years due to increase competition from the likes of BT and Amazon starting to deep their toes in. The pandemic has lead them to make some cuts, the Sunday Supplement has been cut also.

Don't underestimate the impact of Sky's somewhat recent acquisition by Comcast/NBC/Universal either. I'm sure Comcast has different plans for Sky. Here in America, Comcast is somewhat known for investing in more niche "cheap" sports programming, including the Premier League. They don't throw the big bucks at sports like Fox, CBS, ESPN do.
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #3085 on: September 14, 2020, 12:01:48 pm »
Saves on Monday
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3086 on: September 14, 2020, 01:04:30 pm »

Don't really need goals on Sunday when you can get the goals on the sky's youtube channel, almost after the final whistle.
#Sausages

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3087 on: September 14, 2020, 01:10:51 pm »
Don't underestimate the impact of Sky's somewhat recent acquisition by Comcast/NBC/Universal either. I'm sure Comcast has different plans for Sky. Here in America, Comcast is somewhat known for investing in more niche "cheap" sports programming, including the Premier League. They don't throw the big bucks at sports like Fox, CBS, ESPN do.
Do you see Sky eventually pulling out of the current type of football deal?

Offline TALBERT

• Shite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3088 on: September 16, 2020, 08:26:32 pm »
Can't wait to see John W Henry co-commentate on our league cup fixture

Madness that G Neville is Commentating for Everton Vs Salford
Number 1 fan of Xabi Alonso Alberto Aquilani Raul Meireles. Barry is pure shite compared to Xabi Alberto Raul!!!!!
KIMI RAIKKONEN LEGEND WDC 2007
Gomes flapping at a ball looks like a sealion trying to have a wank!

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #3089 on: September 16, 2020, 08:34:55 pm »
Don't really need goals on Sunday when you can get the goals on the sky's youtube channel, almost after the final whistle.

I disagree. MOTD is too late or i'm out, probably hungover for the re-run. I found GOS the perfect timing and relaxed and easy. Perfect for a sunday. Disappointed it has ended
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3090 on: September 17, 2020, 01:07:13 pm »
I disagree. MOTD is too late or i'm out, probably hungover for the re-run. I found GOS the perfect timing and relaxed and easy. Perfect for a sunday. Disappointed it has ended

Goals on Sunday stopped showing all EFL goals last season, which basically made it a glorified version of MotD only more pointless because everyone had already watched MotD by the time it aired. Not sure whether they contractually couldn't show the EFL or whether it was a business decision, but either way it was the beginning of the end.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #3091 on: September 17, 2020, 01:20:05 pm »
Goals on Sunday stopped showing all EFL goals last season, which basically made it a glorified version of MotD only more pointless because everyone had already watched MotD by the time it aired. Not sure whether they contractually couldn't show the EFL or whether it was a business decision, but either way it was the beginning of the end.

Plus quite often GOS would only have 4 or 5 matches to show from the premier league with no highlights from other leagues, in especially european week when some Saturday 3pms are moved to Sunday, then theres a game on MNF.
#Sausages

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3092 on: September 17, 2020, 01:24:47 pm »
They were resolutely avoiding the Thiago story earlier today. Guess it’s not official til he’s had his medical but that hasn’t stopped them banging on about Bale to Spurs for hours and hours.

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3093 on: September 17, 2020, 01:30:56 pm »

I can't see SKY making the decision to move away from Premier league football. It's traditionally been a big part of what their business model has been built on. It would be interesting to see if Sky Sports (and generally therefore the Premier League) is the most subscribed channel. Looking at viewing figure the Premier League and F1 seem the most popular programmes on Sky on a regular basis.

I think the question will be more whether Premier League team move towards a hybrid between standard TV packages (like those with SKY, BT and Amazon) and a streaming platform (maybe at a Premier League or club level). I don't think clubs would want to move away completely from no live football through a TV provider but a streaming platform where people can subscribe for individual games, selections of games or maybe just for 1 team may be a way to increase TV revenues at a time when there is some concern they may plateau or even decrease in the future.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3094 on: September 17, 2020, 01:36:05 pm »
Sky should just sell us PL games for £8.99 per month like Netflix. There will be a lot more subscribers.

For one like me that doesn’t watch history channel and national geographic, there is little point for me to pay for their starter package with 100 channels I don’t watch to then add Sky Sports for an extra fee.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3095 on: September 17, 2020, 01:47:58 pm »
Sky should just sell us PL games for £8.99 per month like Netflix. There will be a lot more subscribers.

For one like me that doesn’t watch history channel and national geographic, there is little point for me to pay for their starter package with 100 channels I don’t watch to then add Sky Sports for an extra fee.
I was looking at this a couple of weeks ago. To get the same money as we got last season we would need approx 950,000 subscribers per home game at a tenner. A big chunk of Sky money is for foreign broadcast rights, so we would have the world to go at. My view based on nothing more than gut feeling is that we could do it, given our global fanbase.

But on the same basis, Burnley would be needing to sell around 600,000 subscriptions per home game and with the greatest of respect to them, I just can't see that happening. For the bigger games maybe, but whether that generates enough to cover the less attractive fixtures v the likes of Palace, Fulham, Everton etc. is anyone's guess.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3096 on: September 17, 2020, 06:46:19 pm »
Could swear I just heard the Sky Sports News reporter refer to Frank Lampard as "Lamps"  (WTF is wrong with these people? :o ) I've never even heard the presenters on LFCTV refer to Klopp by his nickname. Sky can't even manage to maintain a veneer of professionalism when it comes to their little favourites.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3097 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:20 pm »

If they did do that then BT might get a bit of a bargain for one tv contract if Sky merely bid less rather than stepping aside entirely, but then after that you'd get somebody else trying to enter the market, whether it'd be Amazon or somebody such as Dazn who would spot an opportunity to get into the market.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #3098 on: September 17, 2020, 09:01:02 pm »
Could swear I just heard the Sky Sports News reporter refer to Frank Lampard as "Lamps"  (WTF is wrong with these people? :o ) I've never even heard the presenters on LFCTV refer to Klopp by his nickname. Sky can't even manage to maintain a veneer of professionalism when it comes to their little favourites.
But what is Klopp’s nickname?  ;D

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3099 on: September 17, 2020, 09:04:42 pm »

Maybe you misheard and they said planks, since thick as two short planks would take too long to say?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3100 on: September 17, 2020, 09:05:45 pm »

Riesig Würstchen

But only 1 person is allowed to call him that.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3101 on: September 17, 2020, 09:30:42 pm »
Riesig Würstchen

But only 1 person is allowed to call him that.

Zeljko  :'(

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3102 on: September 17, 2020, 10:46:39 pm »

You did. It was Jim White. Noticed that myself when they were doing that piece on Havertz
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3103 on: September 17, 2020, 11:06:31 pm »

Kloppo... Obviously  ;D

You did. It was Jim White. Noticed that myself when they were doing that piece on Havertz
Thought so.  ::)

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3104 on: September 17, 2020, 11:22:25 pm »

Jim "Man Utd are signing Berbatov! How will anyone possibly beat them ever again?!" White.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3105 on: September 18, 2020, 11:34:51 pm »
That Transfer Show they have on Sky Sports is a bit gammy isnt it. The 3 lads talking absolute bullox half the time. They were wetting themselves about Bale earlier. About how the appreciation of him is already a big factor for him. They showed him going into Madrid earlier, their training ground I think, few camera crews about and how under appreciated he was. Then said compare that to the scenes at Spurs, where there was a few photographers and about 20 fans. I was expecting thousands

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3106 on: September 19, 2020, 12:27:02 am »
Does anybody outside a Wetherspoons or barber shop watch SSN any more?

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3107 on: September 26, 2020, 09:14:23 pm »
Amazing how Sky are reporting the Brighton-Man United robbery as a win "deep into stoppage time" for the Mancs. All to reduce the impact of the controversial decision to restart the game after the final whistle to give United a penalty.

Also, they are only showing Ole's interview and cutting out Graham Potter's post match comments. I mean I knew Murdoch media were biased and corrupt but this is beyond the pail. Can't help but wonder if they're taking instructions from the Premier League to do this.

EDIT: In the 10pm news slot they finally mention that United won from a "controversial penalty decision." Sometimes I wonder if they read Rawk.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:14:39 pm by Morgana »

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #3108 on: October 9, 2020, 02:19:11 pm »
the telegraph are reporting that Sky and BT want to charge £15 quid extra to watch PL games not picked for TV originally from next weekend. So basically PPV. I thought that was what your sky and BT sub was for. I am all for something where you can pay to watch all your teams games but this just seems wrong in the middle of Covid and people struggling  to make ends meet.

I think the article is behind a paywall. It is all going off on twitter at the moment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/10/09/premier-league-matches-shown-pay-per-view-basis-via-sky-sports/
« Last Edit: October 9, 2020, 02:22:53 pm by scouseman »

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #3109 on: October 9, 2020, 02:29:22 pm »
Does anybody outside a Wetherspoons or barber shop watch SSN any more?
It's on in most footy clubs' canteens, worryingly.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3110 on: October 9, 2020, 02:30:03 pm »
the telegraph are reporting that Sky and BT want to charge £15 quid extra to watch PL games not picked for TV originally from next weekend. So basically PPV. I thought that was what your sky and BT sub was for. I am all for something where you can pay to watch all your teams games but this just seems wrong in the middle of Covid and people struggling  to make ends meet.

I think the article is behind a paywall. It is all going off on twitter at the moment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/10/09/premier-league-matches-shown-pay-per-view-basis-via-sky-sports/

Yep just announced on Sky Sports News then - the games currently not picked for TV (including us v Sheffield United) will be on Sky Sports Box Office or BT Sport Box Office. No details on how much they are. Don't we already pay enough for Sky Sports and BT Sport as it is?

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #3111 on: October 9, 2020, 02:36:59 pm »
Yep just announced on Sky Sports News then - the games currently not picked for TV (including us v Sheffield United) will be on Sky Sports Box Office or BT Sport Box Office. No details on how much they are. Don't we already pay enough for Sky Sports and BT Sport as it is?

I think its £14.99 per game. I know LFC is PPV already but without fans in the grounds it still does not feel the same let alone charge more or a product that you pay so much for in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2020, 02:41:25 pm by scouseman »

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3112 on: October 9, 2020, 02:38:56 pm »
I think its £15 per game.
Hahaha, that's even worse than what I thought they'd price it at, which would be matching the £10 per match for the EFL/League Cup games. £15 per match is a joke.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3113 on: October 9, 2020, 02:39:15 pm »

That's fucking scandalous.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3114 on: October 9, 2020, 02:40:17 pm »
I've read it's not Sky charging that money but it's going to the clubs

But still a complete joke

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3115 on: October 9, 2020, 02:45:01 pm »
I've read it's not Sky charging that money but it's going to the clubs

But still a complete joke
The clubs already get payments from Sky and BT as it is. That's just them and the PL trying to find an excuse for the greed.

I hope this fails miserably. People already pay enough for the sports channels as it is.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3116 on: October 9, 2020, 02:46:45 pm »
Absolutely fucking disgusting greed IMO. What do fans get out of all this on their return to the grounds? Probably much higher prices.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3117 on: October 9, 2020, 02:50:25 pm »
The clubs already get payments from Sky and BT as it is. That's just them and the PL trying to find an excuse for the greed.

I hope this fails miserably. People already pay enough for the sports channels as it is.
Agree with you completely

The league benefits from inflated TV deals, and they have all still been splurging in the transfer market.

Can't plead poverty. Greed plain and simple.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3118 on: October 9, 2020, 02:51:29 pm »
Aye, fuck this.   I'm not one for illegal streaming or anything but I might do it out of spite now.

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3119 on: October 9, 2020, 02:53:30 pm »
Be iteresting to see the PPV numbers. Is this the clubs and the league finding a method to actually increase revenue whilst there's a pandemic? What a shock.....
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."