Author Topic: Andre Villas Boas  (Read 78381 times)

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
Re: Villas Boas
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2011, 01:06:19 am »
Apparently this is one of his scouting reports for Mourinho.

http://www.bragafut.com/artigos/art18.pdf

Insane amount of depth and detail. No wonder he's doing so well at Porto.

Bit like that flipchart that Roy did earlier in the season ;)

Boas has a long way to go to match the experience and genius of Hodgson.

And that's interesting, Boas doesn't really rate Shay Given either.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2011, 01:08:00 am »
He's a bit good aint he?

With the way the Champions League is at the moment, a favourable draw could see them challenge i reckon.

All depends whether they can keep Hulk, Falcao, Maicon and Rolando. Then they'll be adding players as well.

There's no doubt Boas is the real deal though, can't wait to see how his career turns out.

to be honest, this is Porto. I can see the board selling their players out from under them. It's what they've always done.

They're already starting, been inviting bids for Hulk.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2011, 01:15:31 am »
I afraid the star players in the current Porto side will proably sold or a some of them... but yeah I agree that Porto have a good chance of going deep into the Champions League next year.. I would love to see them win or at get to the 1/4's, it would be great for the CL as it's fast becoming a joke... as for Villa Boas I remember reading that he got his first coaching badge at the age of 17 and if wasn't for Bobby Robson having links with English FA he would not have got it as you (or at least then) needed to be over the age of 18 to apply to get your first coaching badge... something along those lines.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:18:05 am by BMW »

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2011, 01:27:23 am »
But Porto could realistically hope to get to the finals of it with the way they're playing so perhaps the incentives are there. They must be itching to test themselves against the very best teams in Europe. But then again, if a Real Madrid or Chelsea come in for you it'd be hard to turn down.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline doikc

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2011, 06:24:28 am »
Wow what a second half. I thought Villarreal in the first half were passing really well very Spanish silky passes, but Porto looked faster on the ball more direct and Hulk!
Most of those second half goals were really poor defending and the marking was hapless! Porto were just ruthless!

Cant wait to see them in the CL breath of fresh air!! He really needs to keep these players who have this incredible winning mentality. If that doesn't happen then that'll be one more test for Boas to identify new players and fit them into his team.

There is allot to admire in this run to the final.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi. Benitez YNWA

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2011, 08:00:53 am »
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Villas Boas ended up at Chelsea or Man City next season.

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta la victoria siempre
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2011, 08:04:48 am »
Wouldn't be at all surprised if Villas Boas ended up at Chelsea or Man City next season.

I will be very surprised as it would be an extremely stupid move. He is building something at Porto and I don't think he will leave next season , not until he's had a good go at the CL.

I would also be very surprised if Man City need a new manager this season. An FA cup win(I think they will swat Stoke aside) and a top 4 finish is not exactly a sackable record for a team that have never played in the CL and haven't won a cup for YEARS.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:06:35 am by MassDriver »
You will never walk alone , Shanklyboy. RIP.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:31 am »
I will be very surprised as it would be an extremely stupid move. He is building something at Porto and I don't think he will leave next season , not until he's had a good go at the CL.

I would also be very surprised if Man City need a new manager this season. An FA cup win(I think they will swat Stoke aside) and a top 4 finish is not exactly a sackable record for a team that have never played in the CL and haven't won a cup for YEARS.

Money talks mate.

Stoke will win the FA Cup anyway.

Offline MassDriver

• Custom Tit... Shithouse lover... Politically correct and metrosexual cave dweller.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2011, 08:16:00 am »
Money talks mate.

Stoke will win the FA Cup anyway.

Porto are not exactly skint , are they?  ;) They are ever present in the knockout stages of the CL and one of the 'elite' teams of Europe. AVB comes across as an intelligent , educated man and I don't think he is that daft.

A little wager perhaps on Stoke winning the FA cup. I say the anti footballing twats won't win it. 20 USD agrees with me.

I am the Eye in the Sky, looking at you, I can read your mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind. Looking at you, I can read your mind

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:19 am »
Porto are not exactly skint , are they?  ;) They are ever present in the knockout stages of the CL and one of the 'elite' teams of Europe. AVB comes across as an intelligent , educated man and I don't think he is that daft.

A little wager perhaps on Stoke winning the FA cup. I say the anti footballing twats won't win it. 20 USD agrees with me.

Chelsea and City have more though mate, they play in a stronger league and Porto are historically a sellin club. He wont be keeping that squad together for long. Also he may feel he could achieve more at either of those two clubs. Now i'm not saying it will definitely happen, all i'm sayin is I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did. Especially Chelsea as I believe he did some scouting for them in the past under Mourinho.

As for Stoke winning the FA Cup I feel no need to put a wager on, it's just my opinion based on how City have been playin when they've been clear favourites to win. Which hasn't been brilliant. They seem to play better when they come up against the bigger clubs. Whereas you my friend have just looked at the sqauds on paper and gone for the easy bet.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:28:40 am by Mr Rossi »

Offline MassDriver

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2011, 08:41:07 am »
Chelsea and City have more though mate, they play in a stronger league and Porto are historically a sellin club. He wont be keeping that squad together for long. Also he may feel he could achieve more at either of those two clubs. Now i'm not saying it will definitely happen, all i'm sayin is I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did. Especially Chelsea as I believe he did some scouting for them in the past under Mourinho.

As for Stoke winning the FA Cup I feel no need to put a wager on, it's just my opinion based on how City have been playin when they've been clear favourites to win. Which hasn't been brilliant. They seem to play better when they come up against the bigger clubs. Whereas you my friend have just looked at the sqauds on paper and gone for the easy bet.

Fair enough bud.   ;)

Offline petrichor

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:27 am »
villareal were punished heavily for those lapses in concentration
thought overall play was evenly balanced and the difference was falcao and porto's set pieces

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2011, 01:41:19 pm »
I'm curious as to what people who have seen Porto regularly this season consider to be Porto's strongest line up? Also how do they normally set up? Do they play 3-4-3? Cheers to anyone who knows.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2011, 01:57:23 pm »
Thought Villareal had the game last night, especially considering Porto's defensive weaknesses. Then Porto and Villa-Boas proved everyone wrong and fucking hammered them. Not long until he ends up in charge of a top club.

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2011, 01:57:28 pm »
I'm curious as to what people who have seen Porto regularly this season consider to be Porto's strongest line up? Also how do they normally set up? Do they play 3-4-3? Cheers to anyone who knows.

Based on what I've seen (and rated):

Varela - Falcao - Hulk
          Belluschi - Moutinho
                   Fernando
Pereira - Rolando - Otamendi - Fucile
                     Helton

Belluschi has been injured recently, he's usually been replaced by Ruben Micael or Guarin. Fucile has been injured a lot this season he's usually replaced by Sapanaru. Occasionaly Otamendi plays as a right back and Maicon as the other central defender.

Offline Spanish Fan

• Battles Babelfish Brilliantly
  • Legacy Fan
  • מגדל בבל
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2011, 02:31:14 pm »
incredible. even specifies that the wall doesnt jump on free kicks!

This is your typical scouting report in most top clubs I would say. I remember that Agger's goal vs Chelsea in the CH L was home preparation pinpointing a defensive wekness Benitez or his scouts had found on Chelsea's defensive set up for set pieces.
利物浦, 리버풀, Λίβερπουλ, リヴァプール, ليفربول, Liberpul

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2011, 03:13:02 pm »
This is your typical scouting report in most top clubs I would say. I remember that Agger's goal vs Chelsea in the CH L was home preparation pinpointing a defensive wekness Benitez or his scouts had found on Chelsea's defensive set up for set pieces.

I was actually surprised it all fit on a couple of pages (though there was small writing I guess!)

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2011, 03:21:13 pm »
Casillas Cobras
Iniestas Vipers
Xavis Adders
Torres Common Grass Snake

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2011, 03:52:05 pm »
I missed the first half of the game lag night. The movement from the midfield and forwards was very impressive. When receiving the ball each player seemed to have plenty of pace. The running from diagonal  positions seemed to be timed to perfection.

I really hope he stays at Porto for at least twelve months, I'd like to see how that team could develop against superior opposition.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2011, 06:41:31 pm »
But Porto could realistically hope to get to the finals of it with the way they're playing so perhaps the incentives are there. They must be itching to test themselves against the very best teams in Europe. But then again, if a Real Madrid or Chelsea come in for you it'd be hard to turn down.

problem with this is he plays a game that is too close to the line for the bigger sides.
he seems to have found a way of playing with what he has which is perfect against sides who cant punish them well enough.

the porto side just before he came wouldnt get embarrased too much against sides like inter man u etc.

this one wouldnt be good enough at the back to play the current way against sides like those.

you gotta admire what he has done so far but clearly his real test is yet to come.

for that reason i think klopp is ahead of him at the moment.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2011, 06:51:17 pm »
how close were we to signing Falcao? i remember we were linked when he was about to leave River PLate. If i remember correctly he joined Porto for very little.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2011, 06:52:31 pm »
how close were we to signing Falcao? i remember we were linked when he was about to leave River PLate. If i remember correctly he joined Porto for very little.
3-4m was the price mentioned when we were in for him

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2011, 06:54:14 pm »
 I really hope they can keep the majority of their team and aVB for next seasons Champions League.

I'll be on them to win it. Have been saying it for a while but the way their playing their price wont be as high as I hoped.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2011, 08:06:46 pm »
Was quite surprised with Porto's suicide defending last night. It worked, but they were lucky. Then they found a weakness down Villareal's right and it was game over. Very unlike Mourinho, that's for certain.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2011, 08:12:51 pm »
Was quite surprised with Porto's suicide defending last night. It worked, but they were lucky. Then they found a weakness down Villareal's right and it was game over. Very unlike Mourinho, that's for certain.

I actually think it was more to do with them just playing further up the pitch. First half they got absolutely swamped by Villareal's midfield and weren't competing in that area at all, just sitting far too deep and right on top of their own defenders. Villareal were loving that with and without the ball. Second half they all pushed further up, and as you say they found loads of room down the wings, and even when Villareal had the ball they could do nothing with it.

It was really well thought out reaction tactics from Villas Boas, and Villareal did nothing about it for the entire second half. At 1-1 or even 2-1 they probably should have gone 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 and made sure they were stopping the threat and hitting on the break, at least keeping themselves in the tie for the return leg, but they did nothing and just got hit again and again.

Great stuff from Porto, piss poor from Villareal.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2011, 05:09:11 am »
His first choice front 3 reminds me a fair bit of Rijkaards at Barcelona, except a mirror image. Hulk reminds me of the way Ronaldinho used to play, but on the opposite flank. So powerful, so quick-footed. A little ungainly comparatively, and he'll probably never as good, but he's been amazing this year.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2011, 05:43:52 am »
I remember when the Mancs beat them back in 2008 loads of people here slagging off Hulk saying he was shite. In fairness he had a tough couple games, but he was only 18 then I believe and I thought it was clear he had a lot of potential.

I haven't seen much of Porto this year but from all reports he's been really good. Maybe has an outside shot of making the squad for next world cup?
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Jimmy Two Times

• Two Times. A good fella. RAWK Cricket ODI Draft champion
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2011, 07:51:49 am »
I remember when the Mancs beat them back in 2008 loads of people here slagging off Hulk saying he was shite. In fairness he had a tough couple games, but he was only 18 then I believe and I thought it was clear he had a lot of potential.

I haven't seen much of Porto this year but from all reports he's been really good. Maybe has an outside shot of making the squad for next world cup?

Outside shot? He's nailed on.

Offline LiverpoolPT

• Main Stander
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2011, 10:50:59 am »
He's a bit good aint he?

With the way the Champions League is at the moment, a favourable draw could see them challenge i reckon.

All depends whether they can keep Hulk, Falcao, Maicon and Rolando. Then they'll be adding players as well.

There's no doubt Boas is the real deal though, can't wait to see how his career turns out.
LOL Maicon? He's a sub, and he only does crap, like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncZNPfFlvQM&feature=related

1st goal, he's the bald...

Offline Des Equilibrante

• Legacy Fan
  • Ex-pat Pie-Eater
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2011, 10:55:08 am »
Hmm... If we were, and we did, would we sing 'Rock Me Amadeus' for him?
Some say he haunts Rawk threads.

All we know is, he's called Des Equilibrante

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »
LOL Maicon? He's a sub, and he only does crap, like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncZNPfFlvQM&feature=related

1st goal, he's the bald...
I see, cheers for pointing out he's on his backside these days. Whenever i've seen them he's been a starter, and has been quite good.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline wardides

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A FUCKING BEACH BALL
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2011, 01:57:27 pm »
I see, cheers for pointing out he's on his backside these days. Whenever i've seen them he's been a starter, and has been quite good.

In fairness he has started 20 games this season. So you were right he is a starter but could be replaced I reckon, Otamendi is pretty decent although very inconsistent.
Bet 1, Lyon v B Munich...No Hat Trick @ 1.03.
Little does he know, he's left the Beatles and joined fucking Razorlight.

Offline LiverpoolPT

• Main Stander
« Reply #112 on: April 30, 2011, 09:12:55 pm »
In fairness he has started 20 games this season. So you were right he is a starter but could be replaced I reckon, Otamendi is pretty decent although very inconsistent.
He started the season in the starting eleven because Otamendi started without any rythm... Then, Maicon started playing bad, and Otamendi took the place, easily...

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2011, 09:25:57 pm »
We were very close to signing Falcao. You could argue we had to prioritise Soto instead.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2011, 11:13:03 pm »
AC Milan bid 16 million for Hulk and it was turned down last week, reported by a bbc journo.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »
Pwobs selling Pato to be honest.

Think they'll go for Ganso and Neymar as well.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2011, 11:16:37 pm »

Yeah, but could he manage it on a wet Wednesday night at the Brittania. That is the MOST important question you have to ask.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2011, 11:20:06 pm »
Yeah, but could he manage it on a wet Wednesday night at the Brittania. That is the MOST important question you have to ask.

I love that saying but don't know the true meaning...?

Its spouted a lot around here.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 1, 2011, 09:55:01 am »
I love that saying but don't know the true meaning...?

Its spouted a lot around here.

Martin Tyler's Former Monkey ie And.y Gra.y once said that Messi would "struggle in a cold night at the Britannia Stadium", and Barcelona would struggle in the English league as they've never played the likes of Stoke.

So the most important yardstick to measure a player's greatness has become 'could he do it on a cold night at the Britannia'.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 1, 2011, 10:15:27 am »
Martin Tyler's Former Monkey ie And.y Gra.y once said that Messi would "struggle in a cold night at the Britannia Stadium", and Barcelona would struggle in the English league as they've never played the likes of Stoke.

So the most important yardstick to measure a player's greatness has become 'could he do it on a cold night at the Britannia'.

GIFSoup