Author Topic: Red Star Belgrade 1991 after they left  (Read 12353 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Red Star Belgrade 1991 after they left
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:51:14 am »
“What the hell? Red star Belgrade won the European cup?”

Shrieked a mate of mine in late 2004 as we set off for our Saturday league game whilst the lads rummaged through my latest 4-4-2.

I felt old that it happened and I remembered it, and lets face it, it was a terrible final. But to judge Red Star on the final is harsh, as dreadful as it was they were a great team. And if it weren’t for the country of Yugoslavia about to be torn apart they maybe could gone on to more success.

Maybe the Yugoslav national team could have too, infamously booted out of euro 92 to make way for the eventual winners Denmark, a healthy chunk of the 1990 Yugoslavia world cup squad went on to play for Croatia in 1998 when they finished 3rd at the world cup. Oh what may have been? And whilst football purists wont remember their day of days from 1991 too fondly it did have some superb individual players but the squad was soon torn apart scattered over various parts of Europe.

So what happened to the stars of 1991?

Well lets start with their run to the final! Red Star had dominated Yugoslav football in the 80s winning and early 90s. they won the Yugoslav cup in 82, 85 and 90 and their league in 80, 81, 84, 88, 90 and 91.

So off they set for the long road to Bari for the 1991 final. Back then of course only the league champions of respective countries made it to the premier competition. Was in the days before 4 or even 5 teams made it from one country, nope only one team got in plus the respective champions (no extra place was given if a team won both the league and European cup in the same season). 31 teams competed in a knock out stage, no groups in them days and champions AC Milan received a bye to round 2.

Red Star kicked off with a disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Grasshoppers Zurich but blitzed the swiss 4-1 away to set themselves up for round 2 and Glasgow Rangers. A crushing 3-0 win in the Marakana, Belgrade was followed by a 1-1 draw at Ibrox. Job done. This then set up a tie against a name older Liverpool fans will remember, Dynamo Dresden. The quarter final saw Red Star win both games 3-0, however there was trouble in the 2nd leg. 3-0 up from leg one, red star were on the backfoot when the home side scored early on but Red star fought back to make it 2-1 on the night and 5-1 on aggregate. With 12 mins left of the 2nd leg Dresden fans kicked up and began throwing objects on the pitch abandoning the game which UEFA gave in favour of Red Star 3-0. 6-0 agg.

A 2-1 win away to Bayern Munich gave them one foot in the final but despite going ahead in Belgrade, Munich fought back to make it 2-1 on the night and 3-3 overall. A last minute own goal from Klaus Augentauler saved the need for extra time and put Red Star into the final against Marseille. In the final itself the match in Bari, Italy was an utter snoozefest. After 120 dreadful minutes the game went to penalties. Red Star won it 5-3 after Marseille defender Manuel Amoros missed his spot kick. Interestingly the Marseille team contained Dragan Stoijkovic, a name synonomis with Yugoslavian football. Stioijkovic had left Red Star the previous summer for Marseille and after a brief cameo as sub, Stoijkovic allegedly refused to take a penalty in the shoot out.

Now then. The Red Star 16 on the night.

Stevan Stojanovic captained the side, the goalkeeper saved the Amoros spot kick and became the first ever goalkeeper to captain a European cup winning side. He left the club that summer after joining Royal Antwerp where they lost the 1993 Cup winners cup final to Parma. Stojanovic never played for Yugoslavia, he retired in 1995

Refik Šabanadžović also left Red Star that summer, the defender signed for AEK Athens winning 3 greek titles before joining Olympiakos in 1996 where he won another title. Retired after two years with Kansas city wizards in 1999 where he teamed with former Everton flop Preki. Refik had once missed a year of football when a collision with a team mate in 1988 left him in a coma. International wise he featured 8 times for Yugoslavia most notably at the 1990 world cup when he was sent off against Argentina in the quarter final. After a 0-0 draw, Argentina won on penalties.

Miodrag Belodedici was a Romanian international who won the European cup with Steaua Bucharest in 1986, a team also criticized for a dull win. After a controversial switch to Red Star in 1989 he was sentenced to 10 years in prison which was rescinded as part of the Romanian revolution. He scored the 3rd penalty for his team on the night in 1991, he left in 92 playing for teams such as Valencia, Valladolid and Villareal. Then moved to Atlante in Mexico and returned to Steaua in 98. Retired in 2001. In an international career spanning 16 years he played in 2 european championships and one world cup. A missed penalty against Sweden in a shoot out in 94 saw Romania go out in the quarter finals.

Ilija Najdoski was left back and he left the club in 1992. Valladolid in Spain came calling before he moved to Denzilspor in Turkey, then onto CSKA Sofia and finally Fc Sion. Retired in 1997 after featuring briefly for both Yugoslavia and Macedonia. His son Dino is an under 21 international with Macedonia.

Slobodan Marović is now assistant at Red Star. He featured for Yugoslavia 4 times and left Red Star in 1991 to join Swedish side Norrkoping. After one year with fellow Swede’s Silkeborg he joined Chinese club Shenzhen Pingan. Retired in 1997.

Siniša Mihajlović scored the 4th penalty that night and in 92 left to join Roma. A distinguished spell with neighbours Lazio followed where he won the serie a title in 1999. Finished his career at Inter before retiring in 2006 after another league title. He now manages Fiorentina, never far from controversy he received a suspension for spitting at Adrian Mutu during a Chelsea-Lazio champions league game, Mutu is now one of his players. Was also accused of racially abusing Patrick Vieira in 2000. Best known for his awesome set piece ability and hammer of a left foot. Has also managed Bologna and Catania in Italy.

Vladimir Jugović a highly talented midfielder he left to join Sampdoria in 1992, after a 3 year spell he joined Juventus, scoring the winning penalty against Ajax in the champions league final 1996. Went on to play for Lazio and then Atletico Madrid, before returning to Serie A with Inter Milan in 1999. A spell at Monaco followed before he joined Admira Wacker in Austria, his last club was LR Ahlen of Germany. 

Robert Prosinečki was a German born Yugoslav international and scored Red Star’s first penalty in 1991. A 4 year spell with Real Madrid followed before a switch to Oviedo. An injury hit year At Barcelona ended with a switch to Croatia Zagreb in 1997. 3 years later he moved on to join NK Hrvatski Dragovoljac also based in Zagreb. After joining Standard Liege he then has a famous spell with Portsmouth where he attained cult status. Finished career with Olympic Ljubijana and NK Zagreb. He is now managing Red Star Belgrade. A skilful player Prosinecki scored twice for Croatia en route to their 3rd place finish at the 1998 world cup.

Dejan Savićević went on to join Ac Milan in 1992 for a whopping 9.5m. Famously destroyed Barcelona in the 1994 final winning him another european cup. But a series of buys such as Roberto Baggio and George Weah meant he slipped down the pecking order although he was still remember fondly by Milan fans. Returned to Red Star briefly in 1999 before seeing out his career with Rapid Vienna. Coached the Yugoslav/Serbia/Montenegro squad as they failed to qualify for the 2002 world cup, after Serbia failed to qualify for euro 2004 he left the post.  Has dabbled in politics but is now Montenegro’s FA President.

Dragiša Binić scored the 2nd penalty of the night and the striker left the club (his 2nd spell with Red Star) then to join Slavia Prague, two years later Apoel Nicosia called and he then finished his career with Grampus Eight and  tosu Futures in Japan. Retired in 1995. Featured just 3 times for Yugoslavia althoguh averaged a goal every other game for most of his career.

The winning penalty was converted that night by 1991 golden boot winner Darko Pančev. After an incredible 94 goals in just 91 games he sealed a big money move to Inter Milan in 1992 where his career nosedived. Just 3 league goals in 3 seasons followed, a loan spell in Germany with Liepzig achieved nothing and his career petered out at Fortuna Dusseldorf and fc Sion.  Currently working with the Macedonian FA. Unfortunately nicknamed “trashcan” whilst at Inter by their fans.

Ljubo "Ljupko" Petrović was the clubs manager at the time. After leaving in 1991 he managed South American side Penarol, before moving to PAOK Salonika, after a brief stay with Olympiakos he returned to Red star in 1994 for 2 years. Short stays followed at Vojvodina (Serbian), Al-Ahli, Shanghai Shenhua, Levski Sofia, Beijing Guoan and Litex Lovech. He had yet another stint with Red Star before returning to Litex. Has since had short spells at Croatia Sesteve, another spell at Vojvodina, and last managed Croatian side Lokmotivo.

None of the substitutes that night were household names. Milić Jovanović was sub keeper who know is goalkeeping coach at Portuguese side Leca, he had retired from playing with them in 2001. Unused sub Ivica Momčilović has spells with Limassol and Trelleborgs and is now coaching Red Star’s youth teams. Rade Tošić had spells with Merida and Castellon and retired in 1995. He was also an unused sub.  Vladan Lukić is now club president, he was also an unused sub, the striker went on to play for Marbella, Atletico Madrid and Fc Sion among others. He retired in 2000. The only sub deployed that night was Vlada Stošic who came on for Savicevic. He had spells with Mallorca and Betis and retired in 1999 after a spell with Portuguese club Vitoria Setubal. He played just once for Yugoslavia as a last minute sub during a match with Northern Ireland. Currently employed by Real Betis.

After 1991 as you can a good chunk of the squad left, but Red Star won another title in 1992 while in the European cup they made it to the semi final stage, however this was a different format. After 2 knockout rounds (they got a bye in round 1 as champions) they went into a group stage. As they were runners up it was classed as a semi finalist finish. Only the winners went through to the final. They also had to play home game in Sofia due to the war in Yugoslavia. Red Star looked a good bet for the final in a tight group but lost their last 2 games at home to Sampdoria and away to Anderlecht. Prior to this they had also lost the European Super cup to Manchester United. Normally this was played over 2 legs but Uefa decided not to play the Belgrade leg, the one leg played at Old Trafford saw United win 1-0.

The Yugoslav league then split with Red Star unable to find any real competition. As war tore the country apart everyone had seemingly forgotten them. The league was split into the Maecdonian league, and later a Bosnian one formed, Serbia also formed one. As the new millenium approached and the wars ended a new beginning was heralded, they were declared league champions in 2000, 2001, 2004 and 2006 (Yugoslavia/Serbia and Montenegro champions). This became known as the Serbian league in 2006/7 following the independence of Montenegro who formed their own league. In the 06-07 season Red Star were champions again. They also won the domestic cup in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010. The league has recently been dominated by Partizan but Red Star lie just 3 points behind them this season.

The clubs stadium is the Marakana named after the famous Brazilian ground. It has a capacity of 55,000 following the Taylor Report of the early 90s, it earned the name Marakana having once had a capacity of 100,000 .

So there you go

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline TopKopster

• Anny Roader
  • Boring
Re: Red Star Belgrade 1991 after they left
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:17 am »
Great read.

Offline Wish Matrix

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:21 am »
I was only 10 at the time and had no idea what European Cup is. Will be looking for obligatory Youtube clips ;)
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him (Jurgen Klopp) as the next Liverpool manager

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:02:53 am »
I was only 10 at the time and had no idea what European Cup is. Will be looking for obligatory Youtube clips ;)
was my first european cup final, i was 8. i remember next to nothing of it other than the game was dreadful

i havent bothered to watch it or look on youtube. should have been a better final. yugoslavia played some good stuff at italia 90

marseilles were a good team too

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:26 am »
Fantatstic read that mate - thanks for taking the time to put it together. It was a sign of the times I guess but bar a few of them moving to big Italian clubs there's quite a broad spectrum of clubs that they moved on to. European Cup winners moving to Royal Antwerp, Valladolid and Norrkoping - you wouldn't really get that in this day and age.

Darko Pancev, there's a name I'd forgotten about. I remember him being really highly rated back then, and some Manc at my school was talking about how they were going to sign him. I knew he went to Inter but hadn't realised quite how badly he flopped there or how much his career just petered out.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:08:33 am »
marseilles were a good team too

Papin, Waddle and Pele...not that many French games were shown here but I remember them capturing the imagination. Beat Milan in the semis I think?

Terrible final though as you say.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:21:14 am »
Papin, Waddle and Pele...not that many French games were shown here but I remember them capturing the imagination. Beat Milan in the semis I think?

Terrible final though as you say.
while i researched that i saw that. Milan for some reason refused to play some of the 2nd leg! something to do with floodlight failure.

Fantatstic read that mate - thanks for taking the time to put it together. It was a sign of the times I guess but bar a few of them moving to big Italian clubs there's quite a broad spectrum of clubs that they moved on to. European Cup winners moving to Royal Antwerp, Valladolid and Norrkoping - you wouldn't really get that in this day and age.

Darko Pancev, there's a name I'd forgotten about. I remember him being really highly rated back then, and some Manc at my school was talking about how they were going to sign him. I knew he went to Inter but hadn't realised quite how badly he flopped there or how much his career just petered out.

i see a lot of them seemed to end up with Sion strangely. can remember Pancev going to Inter and he just went to shit. think they had Dennis Bergkamp who never seemed to fit in there either. can remember some article in a seria a magazine from early 90s saying the money they paid on average per game made him one of the worst buys ever. not sure how much he cost

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:27:03 am »

Refik Šabanadžović also left Red Star that summer, the defender signed for AEK Athens winning 3 greek titles before joining Olympiakos in 1996 where he won another title. Retired after two years with Kansas city wizards in 1999 where he teamed with former Everton flop Preki. Refik had once missed a year of football when a collision with a team mate in 1988 left him in a coma. International wise he featured 8 times for Yugoslavia most notably at the 1990 world cup when he was sent off against Argentina in the quarter final. After a 0-0 draw, Argentina won on penalties.
Had the pleasure watching him all these 5 years with my favourite team.He was one of those defensive midfielders that were going kinda unnoticed on the pitch but at the same time doing such a good job sweeping(he also played the sweeper role many times) anything that was near him with such great composure.

Great read that article
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:39:04 am »
Red Star Belgrade gave us a bit of a football lesson in the European Cup in 1973 that led Shanks to change the way we played and sell LLoyd and go with the ball playing Thompson, the rest is history. I missed that game because I was at Cholomendy, my mate who I used to go the match with got knocked down a day later and died, Red Star always were a top European club to us lot.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 12:12:24 pm »
Dejan Savicevic was my favourite player for a few years around then, the way he destroyed the Barcelona 'dream team' in that 1994 final was amazing, his lob was great and just showed the cheek of the fella to try that in a big final.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 12:22:07 pm »

Great read that article
ta mate

Red Star Belgrade gave us a bit of a football lesson in the European Cup in 1973 that led Shanks to change the way we played and sell LLoyd and go with the ball playing Thompson, the rest is history. I missed that game because I was at Cholomendy, my mate who I used to go the match with got knocked down a day later and died, Red Star always were a top European club to us lot.
think up to 1992 they were one of only 3 teams to win a european tie at Anfield.

which says a lot for them

Dejan Savicevic was my favourite player for a few years around then, the way he destroyed the Barcelona 'dream team' in that 1994 final was amazing, his lob was great and just showed the cheek of the fella to try that in a big final.
that was an unreal goal. i was in shock watching the game that night. barca were trashed

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:08 pm »
I'm gonna get hammered for this, but someone could equally be doing something like this for us had G&H not left and we'd dropped off the map(squad wise rather than it being an unfancied team). At least 6 of that team left to play for poorer teams or a bit part role.

Dudek, Finnan (Hamann 46), Traore, Hyypia, Carragher, Riise, Gerrard, Luis Garcia, Alonso, Kewell (Smicer 23), Baros (Cisse 85). Is a squad where (bar the obvious) not many have moved on to better things....or indeed better clubs.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »
I'm gonna get hammered for this, but someone could equally be doing something like this for us had G&H not left
somebody already did

Offline dalby79

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »
Why do i remember Darko Pancev playing with his face painted?! Sure it was in one of the earlier knockout games.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:34 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QrjSXfs3VBM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QrjSXfs3VBM</a>

THAT goal btw... :)

I was only a youngun too, 10 years old almost, and i remember hearing the news on the radio as we were travelling somewhere in the car.
I automatically loved Red Star after that, as i loved the name as a kid.. "Red Star Belgrade", i was so used to hearing Liverpool, Manchester utd, Arsenal, Wimbledon etc at that age, that having something like "Red Star" seemed so cool, and very exotic as they were from somewhere i had never heard of...

Fast forward to now, still like em, my gal is from Serbia, so have many friends there.. One of my friends Mariya, is a huge Red Star fan, she used to always go to the games, but gave up as there's a small hooligan element who are making life unconfirtable for the rest of the supporters, so as well as playing in a terrible league, many fans are alienated from going to the Marakana.

This is the stadium for those that don't know:

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 04:47:14 pm »
Why do i remember Darko Pancev playing with his face painted?! Sure it was in one of the earlier knockout games.
Didn't know that..

here he is collecting the Golden Boot 15 years later. .

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »
that prosinecki looked the best player in that team.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 06:46:47 pm »
Thank you for doing this, brilliant read.
Justice for the 97

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 07:21:15 pm »

Red Star Belgrade of 1991 was the best team ever to come from Eastern Europe ... The creation of that team was no fluke ... Their President (Vladimir Cvetkovic) and Technical Director (Dragan Dzajic) were hand-picking the best talent from former Yugoslavia for 5-6 years, before they finally created that team ... Interesting enough, they've sold their best player Dragan Stojkovic in 1990 to their eventual opponents in the 1991 final Olympique Marseille, but the team was so strong that they didn't feel the loss at all ... It was a shame that the team was dismantled prematurely due to the war in Yugoslavia in 1992, because they would have dominated European football for at least 3-4 years ...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:46:17 pm by Ливерпул »
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 07:33:34 pm »
was a great team. I don't remember the final being that bad, thought it was really tight - they beat a good marseille team. remember following waddle, papin and the rest that year.

good read, thanks for posting

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #20 on: April 1, 2011, 08:37:07 am »
Robert Prosinečki was a German born Yugoslav international and scored Red Star’s first penalty in 1991.

Good player. There's a few Reds that'll have an Olympic Ljubljana shirt with his name on the back, as they were selling them v.cheap at the ground when we played them over there. Remember some wag on the plane on the way home saying loudly, "F-kin Prosinecki? He played for Everton once didn't he" and seeing about half a dozen fans freeze in their seats for a moment, thinking "shit, what have I done"!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 1, 2011, 09:14:41 am »
Good player. There's a few Reds that'll have an Olympic Ljubljana shirt with his name on the back, as they were selling them v.cheap at the ground when we played them over there. Remember some wag on the plane on the way home saying loudly, "F-kin Prosinecki? He played for Everton once didn't he" and seeing about half a dozen fans freeze in their seats for a moment, thinking "shit, what have I done"!
must have got him mixed up with preki

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 1, 2011, 09:15:36 am »
Thank you for doing this, brilliant read.
thank you! :wave

Offline Calciotore

• Legacy Fan
  • Ho scelto di scendere in campo
« Reply #23 on: April 7, 2011, 04:02:38 pm »
I enjoyed reading that,really really good.

By the way,for younger people on here you should check out the song 'Sexuality' by Billy Bragg,who name checks Red Star in the lyrics:

.."I had an uncle who once played,for Red Star Belgrade....."

Brilliant stuff!

Offline DM Red

• no it wasnt a knee jerk - just a jerk....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 7, 2011, 06:09:25 pm »
Actually Mihajlovic played for Sampdoria after Roma and before Lazio

great read.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #25 on: April 7, 2011, 06:12:24 pm »
Robert 'the ginger maestro' Prosinecki. What a player he was. Actually watched him close up during training sessions at Euro 08 as me and a mate were part of the Croatian team's press pack. His skills were still phenominal. One of the top 3 Croatian players of all time.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #26 on: April 7, 2011, 06:15:31 pm »
Robert 'the ginger maestro' Prosinecki. What a player he was. Actually watched him close up during training sessions at Euro 08 as me and a mate were part of the Croatian team's press pack. His skills were still phenominal. One of the top 3 Croatian players of all time.

the other two being Boban and Suker?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 7, 2011, 07:13:02 pm »
Actually Mihajlovic played for Sampdoria after Roma and before Lazio

great read.
dang

i knew id get something wrong good spot

any idea anyone how much inter spunked on pancev

Offline DM Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 7, 2011, 07:29:54 pm »
^^free transfer wasnt it?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 7, 2011, 07:38:57 pm »
^^free transfer wasnt it?
that's pandev mate :-)

Offline DM Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 7, 2011, 07:42:31 pm »
sorry.  i thought he was just enquiring about Pandev lol

i never heard of Pancev to be honest. this Red Star team was a little before i started to really watch football. and as the OP said, his career pretty much went downhil after it. the first champions league final i can really remember is the 1993 one.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2011, 07:45:05 pm by DM Red »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 7, 2011, 07:45:05 pm »
sorry.  i thought he was just enquiring about Pandev lol
if pancev was free it still would have been a rip off. Reminds me of torres joining Chelsea

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #32 on: April 7, 2011, 08:14:23 pm »
 "I had an uncle who once played
  For Red Star Belgrade...."

Name that tune!

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #33 on: April 7, 2011, 08:21:58 pm »
while i researched that i saw that. Milan for some reason refused to play some of the 2nd leg! something to do with floodlight failure.

If I remember rightly Gullit spat his dummy out because they were losing and when the floodlight failed he basically tried to take his team off the pitch and was angling to try and get the game replayed. I've pretty much thought he was a bit of a twat ever since and he's done little to convince me otherwise.

Red Star were electric that year by the way, although as people have said it was one of the worst finals of all time, mostly down to their negative tactics. Such a shame because it should have been a classic between those two teams. I doubt they care though.

I remember this well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuNauodGAFA
« Last Edit: April 7, 2011, 08:41:28 pm by cornelius »

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 7, 2011, 09:12:38 pm »
It is always great going down memory lane; first Champions Cup/League final I remember.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 12:05:56 pm »
Just read this post after linking from Hipster thread.  Great post Hellrazor mate!

Well worth a bump.

Offline shambles

• Kopite
  • It's not easy being green
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 12:22:09 pm »
I met Stevan Stojanovic at a third tier game in Belgrade last year.
How many hipster points do I get for that?

Offline thefan

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 12:31:13 pm »
great-read-thanks

They-still-produce-alot-of-big-players,-Vidic-probably-mostly-known-here-in-England.-He-was-captain-for-red-star-at-18-years-old,-before-he-moved-to-russia...

keyboard-broken

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 01:41:18 pm »
Great read that
When it comes to Red Star/ Yugoslav football I dont't think anyone can beat this tale...have eaten at his reatsuarant in West Hollywood and sitting surrounded by murals of Brentford in the 70's takes some getting used to in that environment

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,678192,00.html

Hollywood supporter

His name is Dan Tana, he runs Hollywood's hottest restaurant, and he's spent much of a remarkable life immersed in football. A rising star at Red Star Belgrade, he defected, hid in a nunnery, landed a job in the movies, started the US soccer league... and in between times developed a lasting affection for Brentford FC. If they made a film of his career, nobody would believe it

Rhidian Brook
Sunday 7 April 2002
Observer Sport Monthly

If you are ever in LA and want to see a star, forget the 'Hollywood hangouts' listed in your guidebook. Instead, get out on the Santa Monica Boulevard until you cross Doheny Drive. There, on the left, you'll see a yellow, clapboard house with the name 'Dan Tana's' over the front door. It doesn't look much, but there's a better than even chance you'll spot a superstar there.
Inside, you'll find a restaurant with shuttered windows, 16 dimly lit booths with chequered tablecloths and, on the dark panelled walls, between the Chianti bottles, some very obscure memorabilia: a still of the entire cast of Dynasty; a poster for a forgotten Carl Malden film; a signed picture of TV star Bob Urich, who played the character 'Dan Tanna' in Vega$. And then there's the football stuff: pennants from Red Star Belgrade and Anderlecht; signed posters of the 1992 Yugoslavian national team. And, strangest of all, a blown up photograph of half-naked men drinking champagne. The caption reads 'Brentford Football Club win promotion to Third Division.'

Take a closer look at the photographs and you'll notice a man with Slavic cheekbones and Lee Van Cleef moustache appearing, Zelig-like, in each of them. That's him standing at the end of the row with Red Star Belgrade; there he is with the cast from Dynasty. And yes, that's him wearing a shirt and tie in the Brentford changing room.The photographs give the clue to an extraordinary life: the striker with Red Star Belgrade and Anderlecht; the actor and film producer; the chairman of Brentford FC; and the owner and founder of one of Hollywood's best loved eateries. This is the story of the man behind the memorabilia. A story not even Hollywood could get away with.

On a cold October night in 1953, a 17-year-old Yugoslavian footballer was eating dinner at a Brussels restaurant with the rest of his teammates. He was in Belgium with the Red Star Belgrade junior side to play Anderlecht and the team was enjoying a little capitalist indulgence under the watchful eye of their commissar. After dinner the band began to play a tango and some couples got up to dance. The handsome young inside-right watched in admiration and at the end of the dance he applauded enthusiastically. The commissar was not impressed.

'How can you clap a capitalist dance?' he asked.

'I wasn't aware that this dance belonged to capitalists,' the young striker replied.

The commissar proceeded to rant about the excesses of Western culture. Unable to listen to any more of the propaganda, the young man rose and walked from the room. Out in the street he breathed in the cool air and looked around. Instead of heading back to the team's guesthouse, he set off in the opposite direction. After walking for 10 minutes he came across a police car. He walked up to the policemen, crossed his arms to affect a sickle and hammer, and said, 'Communist'. The bemused policeman took him back to their station and put him in a cell for the night. The next day they found an interpreter who quickly established what the young man wanted.

'He's no communist,' he told the police. 'He wants to defect.'

Days later, the Red Star junior team returned to Yugoslavia minus their star striker. On the train home the coach shook his head. 'He will be a loss. He was to be our next Mitic,' he said, referring to the then charismatic and much loved Yugoslav captain.

'Have no fear,' the commissar replied. 'We will get him back. And when we do we will hang him in the Terrazzo.'

Tana's career with Red Star began when he was 12, and was spotted playing football by a man who had connections with the club. He was immediately offered an apprenticeship and over the next five years he developed into an extremely strong and skilful striker. He was happy. Playing for a top club meant more than playing football, it meant travel - in Fifties Yugoslavia the only people officially allowed to leave the country were athletes or people working for the government.

All his life Tana had lived under totalitarian regimes - the despotic King Alexander, the fascists, and now the communists - and when he was 11 he had seen his father arrested by the communists because he ran a successful (ie, capitalist) restaurant. Now the teenaged Dan was coming into contact with people who had been to 'free Europe' and from them he heard about the world beyond the Iron Curtain. It was a world given form and colour by the Hollywood movies he watched at the state cinema. These movies, starring Humph- rey Bogart, John Wayne, Laurel and Hardy, convinced him that there was a better way of life out there. Football was going to be his ticket to it.

After applying to defect, he took refuge in a Brussels nunnery for three months before acquiring the papers he needed to stay in Belgium. Now he needed work. That season the senior Red Star side were playing a friendly match against Anderlecht and Dan went and watched his old team crush the Belgian side 6-1. He tried to keep a low profile but at half-time the captain Rajko Mitic (the player Dan had been groomed to succeed) was substituted. As Mitic walked into the tunnel he saw Tana 'the black sheep' behind the bench. Ignoring the comments of his fellow players Mitic went and hugged his former protégé.

'You should be out there,' he said. 'If not for us then for them. I'll see to it that the people from Anderlecht know you are here.'

True to his word Mitic informed the Anderlecht authorities that they had a serious talent on their doorstep and a trial was arranged. After being watched for an hour Tana was offered a four-year contract, but because he was a defector he was unable to play club football in Belgium for two years. Instead he was loaned to Hanover, then in the Southern German League where, because the country was still occupied, the usual rules didn't apply.

Tana was glad to have the chance to play, but he was nervous. There were plenty of stories of political escapees being 'kidnapped' back to Yugoslavia by the secret police, and he lived in daily fear of being forcibly repatriated. Six months later came the chance to put a lot more distance between himself and the commissars - Tana was offered a contract to play for Montreal in the Canadian League. It was an easy decision. In the summer of 1955, he boarded a boat in Bremen and set sail for a new world.

Where in Germany Tana had been the loan foreigner in the side, in Canada Tana found himself playing in a league full of European exiles. The Montreal team alone had five ex-pros from the Eastern Bloc, and in the two years after he arrived won successive league titles and the Dominion Cup, the Canadian equivalent of the FA Cup. At the end of his second season Tana was staying with his friend and compatriot Luca. Tana was wondering whether to fulfil a long-held ambition to cross the border into the United States when the two got into a game of poker with some men who had just been paid for a winter's stint working in the Yukon. They bet everything they had: $100. They won $5,000 - a fortune in those days.

'Now we have the money to go to Hollywood,' Tana said.

A few days later they drove a green Chevrolet south across the border. They had no valid passports but they were loaded. A few days after arriving in Los Angeles they were walking to get the bus when they passed a luxury shoe shop and Luca decided that he wanted a pair of proper shoes. Tana sat outside. Moments later, he looked up to see a big, black limousine pull up, two men get out, accost Luca and take him to the car. To this day Tana doesn't know who they were, but he assumed then (as he still does) that they were immigration officers.

If so, he faced a big decision. To turn himself in, return to Canada, his football and his club. Or to stay and find a new career. Luca had the $5,000; Tana had 10 bucks. It seemed an obvious choice. But Tana stayed. He couldn't miss the chance of seeing Hollywood.

Holding himself back, Tana waited for the black car to disappear. When he stepped off the bus on Hollywood Boulevard, he looked around and wondered what he was going to do. Across the road, a man was swizzling bread to make pizza, and in the window he saw a sign: 'Experienced Dishwashers Wanted.' An hour later he was in the kitchens when he heard a heavily accented voice behind him speak his footballing nickname.

'Bata? Is that you?'

The man, a Serb, had recognised Tana from his playing days in Canada.

'What are you doing here?'

When Tana explained that he had no money, no change of clothes, no place to stay and no legal papers, the man offered to put him up for as long as he needed. Within a week he was put in touch with a football team - Yugoslavian American - that played in the Californian League. The team were able to offer him a small contract by arranging a ghost job (in the local tuna cannery). It was a long way from Red Star, but the contract enabled him to remain in the country legally.

Tana now set about improving his English. He found a drama teacher in Hollywood who was prepared to help him. After only a few weeks his teacher suggested that Dan's looks and accent might land him some 'bad guy roles' in the movies. His teacher 'knew a lot of people in Hollywood' and arranged for an audition. A month later Dan won a small part in a Curt Jürgens-Bob Mitchum picture called The Enemy Below. He was paid $20,000 for eight weeks work and before long he was at the top of most casting producers' lists for playing fascists, commies or gangsters. Dan was now earning more money than he ever could have done in football.

In 1960 one of Tana's old clubs, Hanover, tracked him down and offered him the chance to return to Europe and play football. Dan was 24 years old and still had time to fulfil his potential at the highest level. The trouble was that though the offer was substantial, he was earning a handsome living, both from the movies and now from his Hollywood nightclub, Peppermint West, a venue that became famous for introducing the Twist to the West Coast. He stayed.

But though film and food were beginning to dominate his life, Tana couldn't forget his first love. As well as playing for Yugoslav American, he began to put his energies and new found wealth into developing his favourite sport in America. 'I was on a mission,' he says. 'I had this grand ambition to get the greatest country in the world playing the greatest game in the world.'

The next few years saw Tana get steadily more involved in what Americans call soccer (he became general manager of the LA Toros and helped found the first professional soccer league in the USA) while at the same time developing his business career - and opening the restaurant that was to make his name. A close friend told him that with his contacts and friends he would have an instant clientele. And so it proved. Dan Tana's was an instant success. Twenty years after defecting from his country, Dan found himself raising glasses with the very stars he had watched in the stark, state cinemas of his youth. John Wayne, Cary Grant, Fred Astaire were among the first people to eat at his restaurant. Dan Tana's was at the beginning of a 30-year heyday.

By the early Seventies, Dan Tana had

success, he had money, he had a family, and he had freedom. But still something was missing. 'I was homesick for soccer,' he says now. 'I felt I had more to give to the game and to do that I had to be in a soccer culture. Football was calling me home.'

With his restaurant virtually running itself and his children still young, Tana decided to make his next move. Yugoslavia was still out of the question; so he settled on what he describes as 'the cradle of football'.

'I always felt I owed something to England for giving me my start in life, my trade. If it was not for England who knows what would have become of my life.' And so in the summer of 1973, the Tana family swapped Hollywood for Brentford and moved to London.

It was the year of the three-day week, the year England failed to qualify for the World Cup. The national team were going nowhere but Tana was just glad to be back in a 'football crazy nation'. His friend, the playwright Willis Hall, invited him to join a football-mad group that met regularly just to talk football. Other group members included Michael Parkinson and Jimmy Hill. At one of their lunches the then manager of Brentford FC, Frank Bluntstone, turned up and invited Tana to come to watch his team. Tana went to a few games, met the directors and within weeks was asked to join the board, a privilege that required him to be a shareholder. He bought five shares at 50p each.

At that time, Brentford were at the bottom of the Fourth Division, with big debts and low gates. Tana, though, had fallen in love. Brentford had the same strip as Red Star - red and white stripes; they also had a loyal following of about five thousand. 'I had big ambitions for Brentford,' he remembers. 'At that time English football was in trouble. If now you have the best professional league in the world - which I think you do - then the hooligans and poor facilities made it a very poor form of entertainment for anyone but young men. Most stadiums didn't have toilets for women. I wanted to feel comfortable taking my wife and children to a game. In America 30 per cent of the fans in stadia were female. Here it was about one per cent. If America needed English football, England needed American facilities.'

Over the next 10 years Dan became chairman of the club and watch a side that was on the verge of receivership clinch a couple of promotions and move into profit. During these years he also became more deeply involved in the English game. He became an influential member of the Football Association, eventually being voted onto its international committee. He became close friends with Ted Croker - then the secretary of the FA - and in 1981 suggested to him, long before anyone else, that English clubs might benefit from employing foreign expertise. 'It was the missing piece of the jigsaw for England,' he remembers. 'The league had the potential to be the best in the world. It had the support, the stadiums. They just needed to open themselves up to new ideas. Then they could be world beaters.'

By the end of the Eighties Brentford had become a self-sufficient club, and Tana's children were grown up. It might have been a good time to retire. But one evening in 1988 he got a call from an old friend. It was Tana's former Red Star team-mate, Miljan Miljanic. He had become president of the Yugoslav Football Federation, and wanted Tana to join the federation. 'You know we have all the talent in the world in Yugoslavia,' he said. 'But we have no organisation. We need you to bring some of that English know-how back home.'

Tana felt he had no option. In 1990 Tana went to the World Cup with Yugoslavia, and found his loyalties divided. 'I found myself supporting the two best teams there. They both lost on penalties. But England and Yugoslavia should have been in the final.'

A year later he had to choose between the two when England played Yugoslavia in a European Championship qualifier. 'That was when I knew it was time to put all my weight behind Yugoslavian football,' he says.

In 1992, after holding himself back from re-election to the English international committee, Tana was heavily involved in preparing what he still regards as 'an awesome Yugoslav side' for the European Championships in Sweden. But the country was in the midst of a bloody civil war, and as the reports of atrocities grew Uefa complied with the UN's sanctions on sporting relations with Yugoslavia and banned the country from the competition's finals.

Tana suddenly found himself the sole negotiator of his country's destiny in future tournaments. The irony of Yugoslavia's exclusion from the 1994 World Cup (in the US, where he had made his fortune) was not lost on Tana, but he also watched the country of his birth return to the international fold. Then at the European Championships in Holland and Belgium two years ago his football life came full circle. One evening in his Brussels hotel he received a phone call from the president of Red Star Belgrade.

'Dan, we'd like you to join the board.'

'You must be kidding,' he said.

'We are deadly serious.'

'Only if it's a unanimous decision. People have long memories.'

A few days later, the vice-president of Red Star, Dusan Maravic, came to the hotel where Tana was staying and handed him a business card. 'Congratulations,' he said. Tana looked at the card and saw his name embossed above the red and white stripes of his old side. 'You were unanimously elected.'

The trouble with celebrity hangouts is that the night you go there's always a danger you'll get the extras from the daytime soaps or the obscure former tennis pro now coaching the stars. On the evening I go to meet Dan Tana a star-sighting looks unpromising. With only a few regular bar-flies and anonymous families in so far, the photographer is getting twitchy.

'Don't worry,' Dan reassures her. 'Someone will be in.'

Looking at the place, with its bizarre football decorations, and dimly lit booths, the photographer is sceptical. 'It's hard to believe anyone A-list is going to show. What do the stars make of all the soccer paraphernalia anyway?'

'About 25 per cent like football already. The other 75 have had to learn to like it. We get plenty of Brits in here - homesick for football. Sean Connery, Kenneth Branagh. Years ago Rod Stewart was in. I suggested he take up a contract to play for Brentford. He should have accepted. He could have been a real star then.'

Just then Dan raises a hand to acknowledge the arrival of a group of guests.

'Good evening.'

'Hi Dan. How are you?'

'I'm fine.'

'And how are Brentford doing?'

'Right now, they are doing very well thank you. They are top of their division.'

'That's great.'

The person doing the asking is Cameron Diaz. Is she a Brentford fan?

'Why not?' Dan says, before exchanging pleasantries with the rest of the Hollywood contingent of the Brentford fan club - James Woods, Benicio del Toro and Jim Carrey. (Tana remains a Brentford fan, though he resigned from the board in February. In his letter of resignation to club chairman Ron Noades he wrote, 'I cherish 30 years that I have spent with Brentford where I have learnt how to win and how to lose. For the rest of my life I will be a Bees supporter.')

While the photographer takes his pictures, Tana remains steadily himself: polite, natural, relaxed. A little later the barman explains his secret. 'All these stars come to Dan Tana's because of Dan Tana,' he says. 'Sure, the food is good, the atmosphere is good, but this place is about him. I think they know he's a man with a history. Sure, he's one of them; but he's different: he's lived a very different life.

'He knows there's a life beyond Hollywood. Look around. All the other joints in 'L' have signed pictures of stars on their walls. Dan could have a signed picture of just about any star you could name, if he wanted. But apart from that Vega$ poster, he's just got this soccer stuff. He's not obsessed with Hollywood. Sure it's helped him, but it's not the biggest thing in his life. That's why they all come here.'
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 01:51:03 pm »
Always thought Red Star were one of the luckiest teams to win a european cup final. They were absolute dire for the whole game, defended the full length and created nothing and although Marseille were hardly brilliant themselves, they were the better team and should have won it.

Always remembered that game as a massive fluke.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....