Author Topic: Comolli was watching Lille Toulouse last night...  (Read 524207 times)

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
Re: Comolli was watching Lille Toulouse last night...
« Reply #4960 on: March 24, 2011, 11:05:19 am »
Think Baines and Sanchez will be very difficult to sign -  for different reasons though.

I also doubt whether Insua or Aquilani will ever play for Liverpool again. Not saying they shouldn't, just have a feeling they won't.

I don't know.. Think we'll sign 1 big player.  My pick is Sanchez.   Out of all other possibilities, I think it's more probable   Aqua and Insua will come back then any options I didn't choose.   

What's your take on it mate?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #4961 on: March 24, 2011, 11:08:59 am »
I'm not a fan of Young but if that's who we want, lets see if we get him and lets see how he does. I don't think Young is even as good as Downing, nevermind others.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4962 on: March 24, 2011, 11:10:06 am »
I like Shawcross, but Cahill is smarter and better with the ball. But I must admit that I expected LFC to go for even younger players - players with resale value. Like Phil Jones rather than Cahill.
Would it really be better to add another youngster in Jones to our central defence, when we've got so many highly promising players in that position in our ranks? We need not only think about tomorrow, the now is just as important. I'm not sure Cahill is the answer, but a 25-26 year old could give us atleast 5-6 years at the top level, would most likely get used to the level we expect much faster than a 18-year old (no matter how talented), and greatly reduce the risk of making costly mistakes (as all young prospects will).

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Anfield might be million miles away but it's home
« Reply #4963 on: March 24, 2011, 11:20:41 am »
I'm pretty certain Comolli has a connection with the Lille board. He also has Steve Hitchen who brought the likes of Bale and Modric to Spurs. I wouldn't put it paste Comolli and his scouts to land Hazard, especially with his French connection.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4964 on: March 24, 2011, 11:21:03 am »
I'm not a fan of Young but if that's who we want, lets see if we get him and lets see how he does. I don't think Young is even as good as Downing, nevermind others.

I can't remember seeing Downing every contribute to a match to the same extent that Young has done. At times he's been unplayable for Villa, he's got the ability burst past players if need be and use his pace (of which Downing has precious little) he can also just find a yard and whip in a cross (much like Downing), imo he's a bigger goal threat I dont have the stats at hand but I imagine he's scored a fair few more. And since he's been operating more centrally for Villa he's shown he can link play and play a pass. He's also very good on the counter, him Suarez, Miereles and Gerrard would be a nightmare on the break.

Only my opinion but I think he's got more strings to his bow than Downing.

He's also not the best winger out there. Or even the best we'll be trying to sign, but he probably is the best that's readily available and that we stand the best chance of getting. The Hazard's and Sanchez's of this world, although not beyond us, will be much more difficult to get.

Offline trequartista

• Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 times
« Reply #4965 on: March 24, 2011, 11:31:21 am »
Cahill ,sanchez, hazard , baines would be out out this world may as well be ambitious!

Offline MKelly34

• Legacy Fan
  • Kelly's lover (not really)
« Reply #4966 on: March 24, 2011, 11:39:43 am »
Just read this on twitter:

Rudi Garcia tells RMC Radio that Eden Hazard could leave Lille this summer, but only for a massive fee that they can't refuse - i.e. €30m

Hmm...he's probably going to a team like City or Chelsea, if they bid like crazy (like they did with Torres).

Can't see us buying him for that price to be honest.

Offline Jfoz18

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4967 on: March 24, 2011, 11:42:14 am »

Rudi Garcia tells RMC Radio that Eden Hazard could leave Lille this summer, but only for a massive fee that they can't refuse - i.e. €30m

Hmm...he's probably going to a team like City or Chelsea, if they bid like crazy (like they did with Torres).

I would be very surprised if he went to anyone above 25 mill

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4968 on: March 24, 2011, 11:44:40 am »
30m Euros doesn't strike me as out of our league anymore.

(How epic does it feel to say that.)

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4969 on: March 24, 2011, 11:44:47 am »

Is he worth 30m though.  I don't think he is.

Let's be honest he plays in a poor league.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4970 on: March 24, 2011, 11:45:48 am »
There's a huge problem with Ashley Young.  He wants to live in London.  That fact is widely reported.  I also heard that he still lives in London and commutes to Villa every day, I can't see him wanting to move further away from RatsVille.

The more I think about this the more I think what a load of rubbish.

Offline MKelly34

• Legacy Fan
  • Kelly's lover (not really)
« Reply #4971 on: March 24, 2011, 11:46:47 am »

But is it worth it? It's the Carroll thing all over again. We could spend 30m on Dzsudzsak and Cahill, I'm sure. And I prefer the both of them

I wouldn't pay 30m on him, but I think he would get used to the Premier League just as good and quick as Suarez.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4972 on: March 24, 2011, 11:53:38 am »

Look at what we paid for Carroll.....I think we would spend €30mn for Hazard. Issue more is whether he would want to come to us given no CL....

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4973 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:18 am »
Look at what we paid for Carroll.....I think we would spend €30mn for Hazard. Issue more is whether he would want to come to us given no CL....

Can't use that though mate. We spent 2m in the Jan transfer window. Yes Carroll was brought for a lot of money but until we make a heavy loss in the transfer market it's hard to say if they would splash 30m on one players.

Offline trequartista

• Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 times
« Reply #4974 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:21 am »
Got nothing to do with money look at their background they'll spend what they want as long as they feel it will improve the team and bring us success.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4975 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:33 am »
30m euros for hazard, id pay that. Top talent costs, and if our scouts are doing there job correct he should fit in perfect.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Raoul Duke

• Is Boris Johnson.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4976 on: March 24, 2011, 12:01:55 pm »

The Eredivisie is a poorer league, especially in terms of its defenders, but Suarez has taken to the Premiership like a duck to water. If he is quality, his quality will shine through.
Fool, if it wasn't for Sergei here, both you and your cousin be cadaverous mo'fuckers.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #4977 on: March 24, 2011, 12:02:06 pm »

If Kenny thinks that the lad is worth that money,we will pay that much.I just think that the bidding will start from 15me or something like that,like we did with Suarez.If finally Lille dont budge,and if we are desperate,we will pay.

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4978 on: March 24, 2011, 12:04:23 pm »
Honestly - Hazard has Balon d'Or type potential. He is only 19yrs old (if I remember correctly) and has immense talent. 30mn is definitely toppy...but he has huge potential. Its a risk of course, but certainly less of a risk at that price then Carroll and regardless of net spend (I agree Fordy, we were basically flat spending wise in Jan) the Carroll buy was a risk...and at this price in my opinion Hazard is less of a risk....albeit a risk nonetheless

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #4979 on: March 24, 2011, 12:04:44 pm »
Jarvis and Young.

No thank you.

I'd take Cahill and Adam, that's it.
Any day Jarvis over Young.
And Cahill and Adam will do nicely.3 English players there.
Get an Enrique,one more top winger,and maybe a DM,and we will go into the next season with a shot at number 19.

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #4980 on: March 24, 2011, 12:05:51 pm »
If we buy 6 or 7 players,Im sure that our most expensive player will be in the 25-30me range.

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #4981 on: March 24, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »
The Eredivisie is a poorer league, especially in terms of its defenders, but Suarez has taken to the Premiership like a duck to water. If he is quality, his quality will shine through.

Good point.
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4982 on: March 24, 2011, 12:11:28 pm »
On the Young v Jarvis debate....Young can play in more positions, has explosive pace and until this season has consistently been Villa's best player. I fear Jarvis may be more of a one hit wonder...every time I have seen him he has played solidly but he doesn't have that wow factor. Doesn't have blistering speed or incredible delivery...a good player but not someone I want starting. Young would be a starter unless we got a Hazard/Sanchez

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4983 on: March 24, 2011, 12:19:39 pm »
On the Young v Jarvis debate....Young can play in more positions, has explosive pace and until this season has consistently been Villa's best player. I fear Jarvis may be more of a one hit wonder...every time I have seen him he has played solidly but he doesn't have that wow factor. Doesn't have blistering speed or incredible delivery...a good player but not someone I want starting. Young would be a starter unless we got a Hazard/Sanchez

well put, jarvis is not good enough at all,
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline malaujai

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4984 on: March 24, 2011, 12:20:09 pm »
^ I actually think Jarvis has better delivery (at least from the times I've seen him), but both players are very adept at it regardless. Young has that extra dimension that his pace and dribbling brings though...

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4985 on: March 24, 2011, 12:23:45 pm »
Just watched the repeat of Borussia Dortmund vs Mainz.

Fuck me but Klopp has assembled one seriously talented group of seriously young players!

I would be ecstatic if we could snap up any one of Gotze, Hummels, Subotic, Sahin or Bender! Both fullbacks were young and impressive too. Particularly that Polish right fullback.

I hope we can assemble something like this in the future. Extremely talented youth all over the pitch with a couple experienced players here and there.

Mainz also had two good young players - Schurrle and Holtby.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline Nebuchadnezzar

• Main Stander
« Reply #4986 on: March 24, 2011, 12:24:57 pm »
Agree with Mac_Red's call on De Rossi.  Reckon he's a great player and he'll fit right into a midfield trio alongside Meireles and Gerrard.  He'll also bring some blood and thunder to that midfield and will perhaps allow the other two to float around a bit more and create openings.  Absolutely great player is De Rossi.

Please No. My mate is a massive Juve fan and follows Serie A more than the PL. His words, "He's okay but very overrated. He goes on missing from the game quite often."
A much younger prospect in M'vila would be better as there's no urgent need of a second DM as Lucas is fit to play most of them anyway.

Offline danbylfc

• Kopite
« Reply #4987 on: March 24, 2011, 12:25:20 pm »
The thing is with Young this season hes been playing the role behind the striker. The role Gerrard used to play behind Torres, So i reckon if we sign him this summer and get him back on the wings we would see the Young of the other season , hes in his final year of his contract aswell isnt he?
Twitter: @Stedanby

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #4988 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »
The thing is with Young this season hes been playing the role behind the striker. The role Gerrard used to play behind Torres, So i reckon if we sign him this summer and get him back on the wings we would see the Young of the other season , hes in his final year of his contract aswell isnt he?

Next year is his last year. So he's available cheap in the summer I imagine

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4989 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »

Same price Ajax quoted us for Suarez.

When I saw TOMMO's list a few pages back my first thought was "Andy Johnson???"

Impressive list. Will be interesting to see how things go, but we certainly seem to have ambition. Thought we did pretty well in January with the two big signings. Would be nice to get a few sorted out quickly at the start of the summer. Benitez would also repeat that mantra about how it wouldn't matter about outbidding people if you acted quickly enough - if you are decisive and determined, make the player know that you want them, make a decent offer and stick to your guns, rather than faff about as we have in the past.

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4990 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:42 pm »
Next year is his last year. So he's available cheap in the summer I imagine
But the Mancs and Spurs supposedly want him which would raise the price.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4991 on: March 24, 2011, 12:51:15 pm »
The only thing that seems to pop out on this thread is the need to buy players with resale value? When did that ever become a must as some of our best teams brought in experienced players who had little to no value at the end or others who stayed until their use for the team was done. Very very few of our players are sold for a profit, I say 80% plus in recent years left at a loss so why this need for players with a resale value? Surely the main goal is to bring in players young or old that fit the bill that is required for the team that season and longer. To the rest I would say feck the accountants.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Nebuchadnezzar

• Main Stander
« Reply #4992 on: March 24, 2011, 12:56:49 pm »
subs: lucas, kelly, carragher, young, adam, kuyt, insua

No GK on bench?  :o

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4993 on: March 24, 2011, 01:01:17 pm »
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline dkra2007

• Main Stander
« Reply #4994 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:54 pm »
John Henry, FSG and Comolli have been consistent when talking about the intent to be competitive next season, not just to get into the Champions League, but to win the Premiership.  Far from tempering expectation next season, Comolli was more than happy to reiterate this in his Q and A yesterday.
This is the really interesting part for me as their aspirations can only be met by bringing in the very best staff and players that are out there.  You could say this has started with Kenny, Steve Clarke, Carroll and Suarez.  They will insist that next season is the last time, for the forseable future, that we are not in the Champions League as that clearly goes against all their strategic planning going forward.
So, they are not aiming at competing for 4th with Spurs or whoever.  They have to be aiming to displace Chelsea, City, United or Arsenal in the top position and the levels of investment and quality of top players required do not point to the likes of Young or Jarvis .. IMO ... They are good players but FSG will not gamble their money on player quality that just might not take us to the required level.
They know, and Suarez shows this, that at the very top you get what you pay for, mostly.  The top quality players like Sanchez and Hazard are realistic purchases and are crucial to FSG success on and off the pitch.  This is why I just don't see the sale of Reina to Arsenal or Manure on any level ... they will not assist a competitor by improving them .. Torres sale went far deeper than some people thought .. me included.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4995 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:55 pm »
Can you actually see Wenger spending 20 million on a goalkeeper ?

Bob Wilson has just claimed that Arsenal made a massive bid for Pepe last summer but it couldn't be done due to the takeover etc and that Wenger thinks he is the best keeper in the league.

You're not getting much better source than that on Arsenals keeping situation.

I think Arsenal will be back with an offer and Pepe has had his head turned.

Sorry to say but I seriously think Pepe will be off in the summer no matter who we sign.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4996 on: March 24, 2011, 01:04:58 pm »
The only thing that seems to pop out on this thread is the need to buy players with resale value? When did that ever become a must as some of our best teams brought in experienced players who had little to no value at the end or others who stayed until their use for the team was done. Very very few of our players are sold for a profit, I say 80% plus in recent years left at a loss so why this need for players with a resale value? Surely the main goal is to bring in players young or old that fit the bill that is required for the team that season and longer. To the rest I would say feck the accountants.

If you but players with a resale value when the time comes to move them on you can reinvest the money you get form the sale back in to the squad rather than effectively losing money on them.

As for most of our players leaving for a loss in recent years how is that a good thing? Surely its better to recieve as much money for a departure as possible? one way to ensure this is to sell them on before they get too old for the majority of teams to spend big on them. Its not good business to be spending £30m on a 30 year old who'll maybe give you 4 years of service if you're lucky (whilst probably being in decline) and then seeing him leave for free. Its much better to spend £30m on a 20 year old who's on the up, will hopefully improve, will be able to give many years of service and then bring in a fair amount of his transfer fee back in to the club when he's sold (if not a profit). That money can then be used to buy his replacement.

The Torres transfer was the epitomy of thid model. We spent a lot on him as a 22/23 year old. We got some very good years of service out of him, sold him on when his value peaked and he looked to be in decline and were able to bring in replacements from his fee.

It makes sense. Especially seen as we dont have a sugar daddy to subsidise our spending and with the new Financial fair play rules coming in to effect.

Offline danbylfc

• Kopite
« Reply #4997 on: March 24, 2011, 01:10:07 pm »
Sorry to say but I seriously think Pepe will be off in the summer no matter who we sign.
Your not on your own there mate. I also think he'll be off in the summer and will be a big loss. I just hope IF he does go its not to one of our rivals.
Twitter: @Stedanby

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4998 on: March 24, 2011, 01:13:21 pm »
Bob Wilson has just claimed that Arsenal made a massive bid for Pepe last summer but it couldn't be done due to the takeover etc and that Wenger thinks he is the best keeper in the league.

You're not getting much better source than that on Arsenals keeping situation.

I think Arsenal will be back with an offer and Pepe has had his head turned.

In the same interview he also said that he thinks Szczesny is the future.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #4999 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:19 pm »
Just watched the repeat of Borussia Dortmund vs Mainz.

Fuck me but Klopp has assembled one seriously talented group of seriously young players!

I would be ecstatic if we could snap up any one of Gotze, Hummels, Subotic, Sahin or Bender! Both fullbacks were young and impressive too. Particularly that Polish right fullback.

I hope we can assemble something like this in the future. Extremely talented youth all over the pitch with a couple experienced players here and there.

Mainz also had two good young players - Schurrle and Holtby.

I agree with that Dortmubnd thing but hasn't Hummels just signed a new contract Subotic looked set for Chelsea. Gotze is a great player and one of my favorite players in the Bundesliga

As for the Mainz players, Holtby is superb, British parentage as well, but he's on loan from Schalke and I imagine next season they may use him which means they could want rid of Farfan or Jurado? Who knows....
And Schurrle is a good, young talen

€30m is what about £26m? For Hazard, I think that's fair, the lad can play, no matter what league he's in he can play.
I'm of the opinion we could land him as he's said, if he moves he wants to play, I can't see Maxi keeping him on the bench can you?

I don;t think we will get Sanchez, I think he will go to Utd or one of the big Spanish clubs

On the goalkeeper matter, if Reina where to leave, and I hope not; let's say Neuer goes to Bayern, Thomas Kraft has said he wants to play week in week out and he is young and a good keeper, wouldn't mind seeing him if needs be.