Author Topic: Christian Purslow: Liverpool FC NESV deal was 'bottom of the barrel  (Read 12583 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
FORMER Liverpool FC managing director Christian Purslow described selling the club to New England Sports Ventures as a “bottom of the barrel” deal, it was revealed in court yesterday.

In a sensational email sent just a month before the deal with NESV was completed, Mr Purslow told LFC board members:

He did not believe NESV had the money for a new stadium.

Their bid was at the “extreme bottom end” of what was wanted.

John Henry’s background as a hedge fund financier “could not be worse” for PR.

The only positive was that they “existed”.

The email was disclosed by Tom Hicks and George Gillett’s legal team as they try to have an anti-suit injunction stopping them from suing for damages outside the UK or European Union lifted.

They want to show that the deal accepted for LFC undervalued the club and ignored other, higher offers.

It is not known whether Mr Purslow changed his mind about the deal or if it improved in the month before the sale.

The email was sent to fellow LFC directors Ian Ayre, Phillip Nash, and then chairman Sir Martin Broughton on September 15 last year.

Mr Purslow urged the trio to “avoid the natural temptation to jump straight into the deal with NESV”, and then lists all the negative elements in their bid.

He wrote: “So what is positive? Answer, they exist. Which is not a lot, but it is not to be underestimated in importance.”

He then suggests they “double check that none of the possibles who have come and gone in the past 18 months to apparent levels lower than Sharjah but higher than NESV are not there.

“So I repeat this is a bottom of the barrel outcome.”

The Sharjah reference is though to refer to an alleged £600m bid for LFC from the Middle East.

The club is back in court as Sir Martin, RBS, and NESV are asking the court to extend indefinitely an injunction stopping Hicks and Gillett suing for damages abroad.

The injunction was taken out when Mr Hicks launched a $1.6bn lawsuit in Dallas trying to halt the £300m sale of the club in October last year.

Hicks and Gillett want the restriction removed leaving them free to pursue a legal claim in the USA.

Earlier the court heard from David Chivers QC, acting for NESV, who said Hicks and Gillett were cynically trying to manipulate international law in their pursuit of damages.

He said the pair had not proved why a court order stopping them suing for damages outside the UK or the EU should be lifted.

“They are simply cynically trying to manipulate two legal process, one in each jurisdiction,” Mr Chivers said.

He said Hicks and Gillett need to make clear why they wanted the restriction lifted, but had so far failed to do.“The appropriate place for the dispute to be heard is in England, he added.

In the morning Sir Martin’s barrister, Philip Marshall QC, returned to the issue of how Hicks and Gillett had sought to mislead the Texas court.

“The conduct in Texas was quite extraordinary,” he said.

Lawyers acting for Hicks and Gillett told the Texas court they needed an injunction to stop the sale of the club and that no other injunction had been sought – despite the fact that just hours earlier a UK court had refused their request.

”I find it just incredible. It was utterly dishonest.”

He said he was not criticising the American lawyers because they were under instruction from Hicks and Gillett. But he said it amounted to oppressive and vexatious behaviour.

“Now they are trying to restart US proceedings trying to seek tactical advantage, seeking punitive damages, when England is overwhelmingly the appropriate forum for this dispute.

“It has been indicated (via interviews) that he is determined to sue and embroil the club in litigation for a long period of time.”

Sir Martin Broughton is also asking the high court to confirm that he acted “honestly and reasonably” in the £300m sale of the Reds to NESV.

Both Mr Marshall and Richard Snowden QC, for former bank creditor RBS, have also stated they are entitled to rely on “exclusive jurisdiction” clauses in previous agreements that mean the case should be heard in England.

This is disputed by Hicks and Gillett, who claim the clauses should not prevent any claims being brought abroad.

Paul Girolami QC told the court that Hicks and Gillett’s holding companies Kop Football Cayman and Kop Football Investments (registered in Delaware) through which they once controlled LFC, had separate rights to those of the two Americans.

“You are in danger of being seduced by my learned friends’ submissions that this is just an English case. But it is not at all obvious that it is just an English case.”

He said it was not fair for RBS to say it did not want to be involved in cases abroad merely because it was inconvenient.

“RBS is not a little old lady that does not branch or has an inability to fight cases abroad.”

He drew the court’s attention to a letter of appointment for Sir Martin when he was made chairman of the club last April.

It was on Kop Investment headed notepaper that said Sir Martin was liable, for his responsibilities as a manager of the company, under Delaware corporate law, and that any disputes arising from his appointment were to be dealt with under English law.

“Sir Martin is asking you to decide now that this could not properly be a Delaware case.

“I am not suggesting that a claim is about to be launched against Sir Martin under Delaware law. What I am suggesting is that it is not as simple as is being suggested to you (by the other side).”

He then went on to say that Hicks and Gillett needed more time to formulate their case and were investigating a number of issues. He then revealed a number of emails. The first dated August 22, 2010, from Phillip Hall of Inner Sports, acting for NESV, asked Sir Martin to keep their communications “confidential from the current owners”.

Sir Martin sent an email confirming that this was fine.

Mr Girolami said an email between lawyers on September 9 spoke about a share purchase agreement to buy the club.

“I am not seeking here to make any allegations of conspiracy. I am not saying that it is necessarily wrongful, we are trying to reconstruct what actually happened.”

He then revealed the Purslow email, dated September 15, and said that at this point his clients were still unaware of what was going on.

Indeed it was not until after Sir Martin had called a board meeting for October 5 to ratify the deal that Hicks and Gillett became aware of NESV, Mr Girolami claimed.

The pair have recently been told by lawyers acting for Sir Martin that they have 75,000 emails involving the sale.

It may take some time for these to be reviewed for disclosure, Mr Girolami said.

The judge challenged him saying that it had been four months since Hicks had made his “epic swindle” allegations.

“I question how long he is going to be able to do that before he has to put up or shut up,” Mr Justice Floyd added.

WHAT PURSLOW TOLD LFC BOARD IN EMAIL

“TO GET it straight, I think we should avoid the natural temptation to jump straight in to the deal with NESV. Whilst they are charming, intelligent and credible their bid is by any standards at the extreme bottom end of the of the ‘right deal’ threshold we set for ourselves: it only reduces debt by less than half and is I feel unlikely to yield incremental equity to fund a stadium.

“They may say they have money if necessary but I do not take this very seriously. Their eyes only lit up at the idea of other opportunity improvements. An American deal guy simply can't avoid using other people's money if they can.

"There is no extra money on the table to enable short-term investment in what remains a squad palpably needing more quality if we are to be definitively top four. New American sport team owners with the senior guy being a hedge fund manager could not be worst from an image standpoint, which is an issue for us independents. I have not even talked about valuation. I leave that to other members of the board.

"So what is positive? Answer, they exist. Which is not a lot, but it is not to be underestimated in importance."

He then suggests they "double check that none of the possibles who have come and gone in the last 18 months to apparent levels lower than Sharjah but higher than NESV are not there.

"So I repeat this is a bottom of the barrel outcome," he ends.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/02/11/christian-purslow-slammed-nesv-deal-to-buy-liverpool-fc-a-month-before-the-sale-100252-28154014/4/#ixzz1DeNODGmx

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
Re: Christian Purslow: Liverpool FC NESV deal was 'bottom of the barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:54:22 am »
That Purslow fella - proper bell end

Offline Raoul Duke

• Is Boris Johnson.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 11:56:49 am »
Purslow really is horrendously incompetent... deary me.
Fool, if it wasn't for Sergei here, both you and your cousin be cadaverous mo'fuckers.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:58:04 am »
The mods already locked a thread in the main forum about this and redirected people to the news and current affairs page.  Don't know why though.  As far as I'm aware, Cecil "penis" Purlsow, is still a director at our Club

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:58:11 am »
Stupid fucking snake. Hope NESV now fire his arse out of a cannon and into the ocean.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:02:30 pm »
I didn't notice that locked thread before I put this up sorry.

But I guess this proves that he was always in the G+H camp what with the sacking of Rafa and bringing in the yes man that was Hodgson.

He should be removed from the club completely he has cost the club millions and lots of heartache.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »
he deserves to fuck off - so mr henry - fuck him off.

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »
I didn't notice that locked thread before I put this up sorry.

But I guess this proves that he was always in the G+H camp what with the sacking of Rafa and bringing in the yes man that was Hodgson.

He should be removed from the club completely he has cost the club millions and lots of heartache.

I don;t quite get it. If he was on G&H side, y were they trying to fire him?

Doesn't change the fact that he is a dick though.
YNWA

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 12:06:14 pm »
never trusted this fella. get him well away from our club

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 12:06:27 pm »
Stupid fucking snake. Hope NESV now fire his arse out of a cannon and into the ocean.

Offline Redream

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:07:15 pm »
HAH!

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:07:46 pm »
End of the road for Cecil.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 12:08:02 pm »
I expect a lot of bellends will come in here and slag the man off without bothering to read the quotes properly.

Purslow states that the offer on the table did not even wipe out our debt.  They clearly came back with an improved offer and we know for a fact that Purslow backed them when they did.

He states that NESV are at the low end of the standard they set themselves...which we all know is because they initially wanted a billionaire to throw money at the team ala city and chelsea.

He then states it would be bad PR..who didnt think "more yanks" at the time? That is the reason they've had to do everything on eggshells, for fear of being tarred with the same dirty brush.

Above all, this comes from the tumours, who benefit from presenting the entire process in the worst possible light.  They would get great satisfaction from throwing a spanner in the works now we're looking to get back on our feet.

Read it properly, understand the context or fuck off.   The fact is NESV are here because he made it happen.  That makes him a greater servant of this club than anyone here.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 12:08:31 pm »
The guy is a snake, he is a con man.

His biggest problem was, he came in to find investment, got his feet under the table and then realised he could run the shop. The fact is, he had no idea what to do. He fell out with the manager and then to save face did all he could to destroy him through media leaks, and snide dealings with other players.

He then saw this position threatening when Broughton came in, who should have in effect meant the removal of Purslow but he managed to stick around trying to get ever more involved with the football side of things.

At the end of the day, he failed at his original task and everything he did at the club was a failure. Whether or not this email is true, he is a c*nt and deserves no praise from anyone.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 12:09:27 pm »
its funny that sounds financial planning, with real money, real investors, a track record of success, of spending money on players and stadium revitalizations, and not being lying theives is considered bottom of the barrel.

should purslow have been busier trying sell or loan the rest of our good players?

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 12:10:26 pm »
I don;t quite get it. If he was on G&H side, y were they trying to fire him?

Doesn't change the fact that he is a dick though.

By the end of it they were throwing P45's out all over the place to try to stop the deal.

I guess a month later Purslow the snake was just trying to save his own skin by going along with the deal I guess this email coming out is a bit of a embarrassment to him.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 12:10:41 pm »
HAH!

To think, for that brief moment I had forgiven him.

Fuck you Cecil you c*nt.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline The China Fox

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 12:12:15 pm »
"it only reduces debt by less than half"

I would assume that the circumstances between 15th September and the October sale had changed somewhat, as the owners are on record as saying the club was purchased without debt and there is only a small rolling debt facility remaining. Whilst this being leaked is somewhat undesirable, and Purslow has demonstrated previously that he has no place being near the management structure of LFC, it is unfair to use this as extra ammo, based as it is on a letter sent in apparent confidence and not exactly saying anything which was untrue at the time. He has enough rope to hang himself with as it stands
This threads gone downhill fast.
It promised so much but failed dismally.

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 12:14:10 pm »

His biggest problem was, he came in to find investment, got his feet under the table and then realised he could run the shop. The fact is, he had no idea what to do. He fell out with the manager and then to save face did all he could to destroy him through media leaks, and snide dealings with other players.

He then saw this position threatening when Broughton came in, who should have in effect meant the removal of Purslow but he managed to stick around trying to get ever more involved with the football side of things.

At the end of the day, he failed at his original task and everything he did at the club was a failure. Whether or not this email is true, he is a c*nt and deserves no praise from anyone.

eloquent.
YNWA

Offline JKSpaceCowboy

• Kemlynite
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 12:14:11 pm »

Looking at him makes my blood boil  :no :no :no

Please FSG just get rid!!!!

Offline shravan.satya

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:02 pm »
To think, for that brief moment I had forgiven him.

Fuck you Cecil you c*nt.

Weren't some fans thinking of displaying a 'We are Sorry, Cecil' (or something in those lines) banner at Anfield before some match?

hahahahaha....pardon me for seeing the funny side of it.
YNWA

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 12:33:05 pm »
He was a disaster when it came to managing the football side of the business but he played a crucial role in the sale of the club.  This email means nothing and was simply a response to NESV's opening bid which obviously improved considerably over time. 

I thank him for doing all he could to oust the cancers but despise him for what he did to Rafa and the football side.  He should never have been put in charge of managing the football side but I think I blame H&G for that more than Purslow himself. 

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 12:38:35 pm »
Well I've half-heartedly defended Purslow against some critics for his role in securing the sale of the club eventually. Turns out some others were right all along. Total and utter pillock. "The Fernado Torres of Finance" couldn't have been a truer title - a silly greedy lad who's interests were not those of LFC's.

Offline zsygab

• Main Stander
    • zsygab – Personal Web Page of Zsigmund Gabor
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 12:40:09 pm »
I expect a lot of bellends will come in here and slag the man off without bothering to read the quotes properly.

Purslow states that the offer on the table did not even wipe out our debt.  They clearly came back with an improved offer and we know for a fact that Purslow backed them when they did.

He states that NESV are at the low end of the standard they set themselves...which we all know is because they initially wanted a billionaire to throw money at the team ala city and chelsea.

He then states it would be bad PR..who didnt think "more yanks" at the time? That is the reason they've had to do everything on eggshells, for fear of being tarred with the same dirty brush.

Above all, this comes from the tumours, who benefit from presenting the entire process in the worst possible light.  They would get great satisfaction from throwing a spanner in the works now we're looking to get back on our feet.

Read it properly, understand the context or fuck off.   The fact is NESV are here because he made it happen.  That makes him a greater servant of this club than anyone here.

Exactly the way I suppose things happened, and I'm not pointing at him because of this letter... (not the same case in getting out of Rafa and Hodgson in)  :butt
"no player is bigger than the club"

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 12:41:30 pm »
But that logic, H&G were greater servants than anyone here for buying Torres and then fuck the club off. Purslow made this club worse many times, but I respect him for selling the club, and even more so for selling it to NESV.

That said, if he couldn't even put the fact that NESV already had won the World Series with the Red Sox twice down as a positive, I doubt he even wanted to find us proper owners.

Offline sixpackred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »
The club was sold cheap in the grand scheme of things, the tumors have got that bit right, however this was down to what the tumors did to the club, ie: sink it into unpayable debt. They don't have a leg to stand on in my opinion, since the worth of the club is only ever what someone is prepared to pay for it and at that time the club was utterly fucked and heading for administration. I don't understand why people would get annoyed with what Cecil supposedly said in this email, in fact, by the look of it he simply had the best interests of the club in mind by advising the current owners of the unsuitability of the offer at that point in time. What difference would it have made if he had said "Holy shit, this is the one boys!, we must accept" or "I personally didn't like the colour of tie John was wearing - lets pass on this one". There must be countless emails weighing up the pro's and con's and like any offer there is always going to be con's - at least he had an eye open for them. Could we not have done with him when we accepted the Tumors debt ridden bullshit offer in the first place?
"There are things to sort out with the owners and the sale of the club. It is not in the hands of the players but, once we are done with all that, let's build a proper team with a proper squad that is competitive. Maybe then we can start to fight for bigger targets."

Pepe Reina / May 01, 2010

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »
I think the mistake here was putting it in an email that can be used as evidence rather that saying it in a face to face meeting to the other board members
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline bobapcoed

• Main Stander
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 12:44:50 pm »

Well said Cid.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:03 pm »

Hi Cecil! :wave
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 12:48:22 pm »
The fact is NESV are here because he made it happen.  That makes him a greater servant of this club than anyone here.

I think you're overplaying his importance in the sale process - way over and above that of just being one of the three that outvoted the two.
I think you're also underplaying just how much he meddled in areas for which he was completely and utterly unqualified for: such as sacking our manager, hiring a fucking idiot and starting to play real-life champ manager with our squad.

For his limited part in the sale I thank him.  For everything else I completely detest him and think he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:11 pm »
This E-Mail relates to the initial bid from NESV, which was a bottom of the barrel bid that did undervalue the club.  This obviously wasn't the bid that was accepted and as much as it pains me to say, Purslow was quite right in flagging it.  This bid also doesn't have any relevance as the accepted offer was completely different.

The Echo has sensationalised this, and by the looks of things, it's had the desired affect.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 12:51:24 pm »
Bye bye purslow you snake, fuck off to where you came from.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 12:53:11 pm »
There are people who can confidently tell you that Cecil does not have John and Tom Werner's ears.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 12:53:53 pm »
I'm sorry, but how about we consider some of the concerns raised here?

Firstly, despite all the positives associated with the new owners they have yet to put their hands in their pockets for any substantial amount. Yes, they helped reduce debt, but in fact what they got was an incredible deal in terms of Liverpool, picking up a club with an annual revenue of approx £200 million for about the same price; to put it in context, United have about 1.75 times our revenue and are being sold for 1.6 billion. So, for a small outlay they picked up a club on its heels for a song... and even then failed to fully reduce debt.

In terms of purchasing power, United are about to be bought out by Saudi Arabian billionaires, City are owned by billionaires and Chelsea are also run by a billionaire. That means Liverpool and its owners are a long, long way behind in terms of money stakes. Now, this is not a plea for monied sugar daddies, rather an acknowledgment that Purslow was right, these are the bottom of the barrel in terms of big hitters.

As for his worries they would not be able to fund a new stadium, its pretty telling that NESV have already stated they believe funding a new stadium is fraught with difficulties and favour redevelopment of Anfield.  Whether or not this is what the fans want is incidental, the point is NESV are balking at the alternative, suggesting Purslow was right, they aren't rich enough to carry through a new stadium, an important consideration from his point of view of trying to get the best possible deal for teh takeover of Liverpool.

Finally, and most worrying, was his comment that NESV seemed exhilarated by the commercial opportunities only, and his expressed concern that American's could only ever use other people's money in business. That's frighteningly reminiscent of H&G.

I still remain concerned by the new owners. Everyone seems so thrilled with everything they have done so far, particularly their well-spoken, erudite declarations... but at the end of the day these are hard-nosed businessmen. What concerned me greatly was the in the recent transfer saga with Torres, Henry came out afterward and said the agenda had been set by Newcastle, since their sole concern was with ensuring they broke even on  the transfer front. Why did that become such a priority and what does it mean in relation to the Suarez deal? Did they break the club's transfer only because they realised they would be getting the money back from the Torres deal? It was a very strange statement I thought.

So far the owners, while speaking well and doing several things right (removing Hodgson, bringing in Dalglish etc.) but these are all low key, low cost (relatively) measures. So far they have not shown that they are capable of grasping teh nettle and getting to grips with the main problems facing the club; rebuilding the stadium, rebuilding the side. That is not to say that they won't be able to, or will do a terrible job like H&G. However, the jury must remain out until something concrete is done. Even then, in the longer run it is unlikely Liverpool will be able to compete with the likes of United, Chelsea and City (forget the new regulations, they will be easily circumvented).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:55:33 pm by DonkeyWan »
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Cooper-Man

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 12:54:16 pm »
Where the fuck does the 1.6 billion figure come from. How the fuck is it that they need to be compensated for that figure. Where the fuck will Marty get that sort of dosh from if he lost.

Yanks will ALWAYS over exaggerate EVERY FUCKEN THING.

Seriously. 1.6billion. FUCK OFF WITH A CAPITAL F.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 12:54:41 pm »

I agree with your sentiment about read and understand the context but that last two lines is complete bullshit in my opinion.

He's a two faced prick is what he is.

After 18 months a bottom of the barrel deal was all he could muster by his own admission.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline El Diablos

• The Chronologically Trousered Philanthropist
  • Legacy Fan
  • All posts copyright of Alan Smithee
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 12:55:02 pm »
I blame Purslow for a lot of things, usually football related. But I can't blame him for this. In fact to me this strengthens the NESV bid as it shows that:

The NESV bid received due scrutiny
That as part of the sales process they were prepared to reevaluate other bidders in regards to NESV
That NESV had to come back in with an improved bid that removed all of the original acquisition debt

All seems like appropriate due diligence to me.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 12:56:17 pm »
I'm sorry, but how about we consider some of the concerns raised here?

Firstly, despite all the positives associated with the new owners they have yet to put their hands in their pockets for any substantial amount. Yes, they helped reduce debt, but in fact what they got was an incredible deal in terms of Liverpool, picking up a club with an annual revenue of approx £200 million for about the same price; to put it in context, United have about 1.75 times our revenue and are being sold for 1.6 billion. So, for a small outlay they picked up a club on its heels for a song... and even then failed to fully reduce debt.

In terms of purchasing power, United are about to be bought out by Saudi Arabian billionaires, City are owned by billionaires and Chelsea are also run by a billionaire. That means Liverpool and its owners are a long, long way behind in terms of money stakes. Now, this is not a plea for monied sugar daddies, rather an acknowledgment that Purslow was right, these are the bottom of the barrel in terms of big hitters.

As for his worries they would not be able to fund a new stadium, its pretty telling that NESV have already stated they believe funding a new stadium is fraught with difficulties and favour redevelopment of Anfield.  Whether or not this is what the fans want is incidental, the point is NESV are balking at the alternative, suggesting Purslow was right, they aren't rich enough to carry through a new stadium, an important consideration from his point of view of trying to get the best possible deal for teh takeover of Liverpool.

Finally, and most worrying, was his comment that NESV seemed exhilarated by the commercial opportunities only, and his expressed concern that American's could only ever use other people's money in business. That's frighteningly reminiscent of H&G.

I still remain concerned by the new owners. Everyone seems so thrilled with everything they have done so far, particularly their well-spoken, erudite declarations... but at the end of the day these are hard-nosed businessmen. What concerned me greatly was the in the recent transfer saga with Torres, Henry came out afterward and said the agenda had been set by Newcastle, since their sole concern was with ensuring they broke even on  the transfer front. Why did that become such a priority and what does it mean in relation to the Suarez deal? Did they break the club's transfer only because they realised they would be getting the money back from the Torres deal? It was a very strange statement I thought.

So far the owners, while speaking well and doing several things right (removing Hodgson, bringing in Dalglish etc.) but these are all low key, low cost (relatively) measures. So far they have not shown that they are capable of grasping teh nettle and getting to grips with the main problems facing the club; rebuilding the stadium, rebuilding the side. That is not to say that they won't be able to, or will do a terrible job like H&G. However, the jury must remain out until something concrete is done. Even then, in the longer run it is unlikely Liverpool will be able to compete with the likes of United, Chelsea and City (forget the new regulations, they will be easily circumvented).

nice.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:00 pm »
Some might say that by Purslow condemning the original bid is the biggest compliment that could of been made.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am