Author Topic: Roy's Future, and more importantly what happens next. All in here please.  (Read 86991 times)

Offline luciano

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Since Roy is as good as gone, I would consider Kenny as the caretaker manager, with Jose Segura as his assistant ... Both of them employees of the club, with credentials for the job ... There are several reasons for this particular combination, and the smart people would know them ...

The problem is he is NOT gone. He seems to want the sack if you believe what he said in the dressing room to the players after the Blackburn match but regarding Sundays game, if Hogson is still in charge I reckon Ferguson will send out a third string team hoping a Liverpool win will keep Hogson in a job till the summer, thus making sure his most bitter rivals wont have a shot at the CL next season under a new, competent manager. I honestly believe he will do that. So we will be stuck with him till the end of the season if he does not go today. Hey but the good part is we are 5/1 to win at OT..................

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
Since Roy is as good as gone, I would consider Kenny as the caretaker manager, with Jose Segura as his assistant ... Both of them employees of the club, with credentials for the job ... There are several reasons for this particular combination, and the smart people would know them ...

Would be my preferred choice as well.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy

Agree totally, but are the people in charge at liverpool smart enough ?
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
One of the worries for me is Comolli, it looks a strange decision now to appoint the man in the middle of the chain of command without having first appointed a CEO and a Coach.

Comolli is so clearly NESV's man that his presence might have a detrimental effect on the number of people prepared to take the CEO and Coach roles.

They might feel uncomfortable working above or below someone who so obviously has the owners ear. It may not be such a bad idea for NESV to pull in a temporary CEO from one of their other businesses or to enlist the help of Edelman in the short term.

It seems to me that everyone at the Club is treading on eggshells desperately not wanting to be seen as the person responsible for Hodgson's exit, they know there is going to be a media backlash and they do not want to be the person the media chooses as the scapegoat.

This is where Purslow should come into it.  He is already the one to blame so if he was to fall on his sword and admit that he made a massive mistake in listening to the media, senior players and others in appointing Hodgson in such a tough time at the club it will clear the new owners of any media backlash and also expose the fact that player power had a hand in this.    It will allow us to move forward and give FSG a chance to root out the rot has has set in whether that is to get rid of some of our senior players or just put them firmly in their place.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline NZ Red

• Kopite
what about Martin O'neil?
is Deschamps working?
these are good manager that can help us.
I really don't think with Rijkaard nor Benitez can improve the situation.

Certainly not O'neil thanks.

As much as I would love to see Rafa given the job back, I think at the moment he's carrying too much baggage. Of course to make a proper judgement you would need to know the full extent of the rumours about Gerrard and Carragher's roles in his dismissal and what not.

I'm still hesitant about the notion of appointing Kenny as caretaker manager. He's just been out of management for so long, would his methods translate well in the modern game? However, I suppose a boost of morale in the dressing room from such an idol of the club could be just what we need, especially if only for the second half of the season.

If I had to pick a replacement for the long term I would probably look towards Villas Boas, Laudrup or Rangnick (admittedly I don't know much about him, but from the reports I've been reading over the last week he seems like an attractive available option). Modern coaches with refreshing ideas who I could see FSG working with. Deschamps and Klopp are other names that have been touted, but I think they would be extremely difficult to obtain from their respective clubs.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
The problem is he is NOT gone. He seems to want the sack if you believe what he said in the dressing room to the players after the Blackburn match but regarding Sundays game, if Hogson is still in charge I reckon Ferguson will send out a third string team hoping a Liverpool win will keep Hogson in a job till the summer, thus making sure his most bitter rivals wont have a shot at the CL next season under a new, competent manager. I honestly believe he will do that. So we will be stuck with him till the end of the season if he does not go today. Hey but the good part is we are 5/1 to win at OT..................

I don't think a win at OT would keep Hodgson in the job.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
I think the best solution here and now would be to get Kenny in as caretaker with an assistant of his choice.

Come summer break my dream would be to have Michael Laudrup here as manager - his views on how to play football are fantastic. He worked wonders in Getafe and now he's doing a similar job in Mallorca. I know he's not available at the moment but perhaps he can be "persuaded" (money, money, money!) to come here...
« Last Edit: January 7, 2011, 09:32:23 am by Bennekov »

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
What was said to the players allegedly?

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
He seems to want the sack if you believe what he said in the dressing room to the players after the Blackburn match

Can you link me up to this story please?

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
The latest seems to be that although Roy is indeed "gone" due to the lack of a suitable replacement he will still be "in charge" for the game at Old Trafford. 

Kenny is still cruising in the Gulf and I believe he has business interests which would need to be tidied up before he could become our manager. 

That is very encouraging especially coming from a mod. Could you please give us a source/link. Or since I had to go to sleep I lost something useful?
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline stevieb

• Kemlynite
i've no inside information so this is all pure speculation  :wave

seems that NESV have decided who they want but they dont believe they can get him until the summer - lots of names mentioned, my money is on Klopp, but who knows

in an ideal world they would have wanted hogdson to keep things ticking over until the summer when it would have been thanks very much and goodbye

unfortunately he's been such an unmitigated disaster that they are now forced into acting sooner than they would have liked - which really leaves them between a rock and a hard place

i think they've agreed with Kenny to take over for the rest of the season, but thanks to some disastrous timing he's currently on a boat in the Arabian Gulf talking about his career until Monday !

logistically its just not possible to get him back to manage the Utd game so Roy has a stay of execution until next week

i fully expect Kenny to take over when he's back from the Middle East next week though

the new owners aren't daft, they know they need to get rid of Roy but there's no point in going to OT without a manager - hence the delay

one thing's for sure - i bet Kenny's regretting taking the gig on the boat now 8)
« Last Edit: January 7, 2011, 09:33:14 am by stevieb »
They call her Natasha when she looks like Elsie

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
Agree totally, but are the people in charge at liverpool smart enough ?

We could only hope that Cecil will have no part in this decision ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
I find the recent criticism/questionning of FSG bizarre.  Those who do this need to give them a chance!  It became clear Hodgson needed to go sooner or later after the Wolves match.  But this decision needs to be given time, and made at an appropriate time (i.e. when there is more than a few days break in the fixture schedule).

I don't want this club to become Newcastle, with knee-jerk decisions winning over detailed consideration and analysis.  That was arguably what led to Roy being appointed in the first place - because even a cursory glance at his track record would have told the previous regime (Purslow et al) where this was heading.

As for next steps, I think FSG have a tough call here.

- appoint a temp, or a permanent?

On the one hand, if we already know who we want, and they are available, then they get more time to come in, get their feet under the table and assess the squad before going into a crucial summer transfer window.  This season is a write-off now anyway, but we won't get relegated.

On the other, we may not know who we want, or may get more choice in the summer, or the fans may turn against a new man if the team continues to underperform.  The spectre of Dalglish will always be there, and with the fans knowing he wants the job, results/performances have to be generally good or we'll be back in the same place.  But if Dalglish does reasonably well, will there be pressure to retain him longer term?  That won't work for FSG; they want someone young and progressive (as do I).

On balance, I think I still come down in favour of appointing Kenny.  FSG should take their time over the next long term appointment - they need to get the right man.  But it has to be on an interim basis and it should be made clear that this is the case. Unless he performs absolute miracles and/or we can't attract a candidate of sufficiently high quality in the summer, Kenny should then stand down at the end of the season.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2011, 09:35:53 am by scottishRED »

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I'm still hesitant about the notion of appointing Kenny as caretaker manager. He's just been out of management for so long, would his methods translate well in the modern game?

Roy's methods - by his own admission - were formed before Dalglish even left Celtic to play for us, let alone managed the club. How would his methods translate? Let's say if we had the 87-88 team now, coached and playing as they were then, we wouldn't be 12th.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline flying red

• Kopite
Have to say that promoting Segura, who's already at the club, worked with distinction at Barcelona and has won a league and cup double as manager of Olympiacos is pretty attractive in my view.

Offline luciano

• Main Stander
From the Express:
DIDIER DESCHAMPS has ruled himself out of the running to succeed Roy Hodgson as the under-fire Liverpool manager clings on to his job by his fingernails

:lmao he has no fingernails!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stanleylhs

• Anny Roader
  • Oh Sami Sami!
LMA: Stop "scapegoating" managers
January 7, 2011
Email Print
By ESPNsoccernet staff
The chief executive of the League Managers Association has hit out at the "short-termism'' approach of football clubs with four Premier League bosses reported to be on the verge of the sack.

GettyImages
Roy Hodgson gets that sinking feeling
• Reds heroes back Hodgson
• Ancelotti feels the pressure
• Grant set for the chop
• Houllier under threat at Villa

Chelsea's Carlo Ancelotti, Liverpool's Roy Hodgson, Aston Villa's Gerard Houllier and West Ham's Avram Grant are all under pressure following a string of disappointing results and could join the seven Football League managers who have been dismissed in the last week.

And Richard Bevan, head of the LMA, has urged clubs to stop "scapegoating" their managers, suggesting it might time for football managers to undergo formal appraisals rather than simply being booted out.

In an open letter, Bevan said: "No one is saying that a club should never change manager. The football context changes over time, the circumstances of individual football clubs alter, the goals of employer and employee may no longer match.

"In this unfortunate circumstance, it would seem most sensible for both sides if lessons were adopted from the broader field of human resources to handle this type of situation. Football managers might, for example, like any other type of manager, have regular appraisals.

"In these, the strengths and weaknesses of how the football side of the club is performing might be assessed against realistic expectations and previously, mutually agreed goals. Should the performance of a manager not match up to the agreed goals, or be judged unsatisfactory on appraisal, then a due process of verbal, followed by a written warning is the correct procedure, before ever reaching the final step of dismissal.

"When does this happen? How often does a manager have no warning of what is about to happen? How often does he discover news of his dismissal from the media, from his worried family who have heard the reports? How often when calling the club to check the truth of such accounts has a manager been told that this is not true, only to discover soon after that he has indeed been dismissed?

"This is no way to treat any employee, let alone those whose lives are inextricably bound up in the clubs and game they love.''

Bevan feels managers are being made "scapegoats'' and wants that culture to stop.

He added: "Figures actually serve to highlight the continued chronic short-termism in football manager employment.

"Statistical evidence suggests that the gains from changing football managers are marginal, if indeed there are any at all, and without doubt the sacking of managers is a costly business to football clubs.

"In recent seasons and recent weeks, a number of managers have been dismissed for losing a handful of games in what might well be short-term blips within the normal range, rather than the sustained downturn seen in the past before a managerial change.

"In football, there is an incomprehensible belief that the continued sacrificing of the football manager, the ''scapegoat" and installing another will turn around a football club's performance.

"The League Managers Association will continue to protect the interests of its members when they are sacked, by ensuring that clubs agree to appropriate compensation and pay the remainder of outstanding contracts. However we will also continue to clearly state the case against the short-term 'hiring and firing' culture that is endemic in our game.''

LMA comes to defend Hodgsons and co .......

Offline caronia

• Main Stander
  • SOS Membership Number:7348

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
If you were NESV, looking at Rafa's CV, wouldn't you at least speak to him?

They have and Comoli doesnt want him back.
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Source, or is it just open season on Comolli already?

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
Setanta reporting Coyle.
http://www.setanta.com/ien/Articles/2011/01/07/Coyle-lined-up-for-Reds-role-/gnid-85059/

I like Coyle a lot, and think he has great potential.  But it would have to be a summer move --- you can't appoint someone for half a season's good work.  We need to see how his Bolton team do through the remainder of the season to really assess his candidacy.

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
Source, or is it just open season on Comolli already?

Montse !!!
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline PILLSBURY069

• Kopite

Do you have a source for that?
Who ate all the pies?????? I DID!!!!!!!!!!

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Montse !!!

First hand? Second hand? Third hand? etc. Doesn't really matter.

Offline luciano

• Main Stander

Sorry saw it on BBC gossip but looked again and its from the Scum so probaly bullshit.................Dont worry I did not open the link !

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Where did you get that info from?
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
Make no mistake they are not defending "and co" at all.  The timing and content of this is all about defending their Manager of the year Roy.   Roy is a part of the 'establishment' and is being defended as such.  I would be very surprised that if it was only Grant, Ancellotti and Houllier that were in trouble that the LMA would not have said anything at all.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
LMA: Stop "scapegoating" managers
January 7, 2011
Email Print
By ESPNsoccernet staff
The chief executive of the League Managers Association has hit out at the "short-termism'' approach of football clubs with four Premier League bosses reported to be on the verge of the sack.

Funny that - I don't remember them being too bothered about Rafa unfairly getting the sack/stabbed in the back when he went on holiday.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
I like Coyle a lot, and think he has great potential.  But it would have to be a summer move --- you can't appoint someone for half a season's good work.  We need to see how his Bolton team do through the remainder of the season to really assess his candidacy.

This thing about Coyle. I don't get it. I watch Bolton every week and they are nowhere near as brilliant as i've been reading. Alot of their passages of play includes lumping it upfront.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Make no mistake they are not defending "and co" at all.  The timing and content of this is all about defending their Manager of the year Roy.   Roy is a part of the 'establishment' and is being defended as such.  I would be very surprised that if it was only Grant, Ancellotti and Houllier that were in trouble that the LMA would not have said anything at all.

Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the LMA Hodgson was on the phone to, when being filmed leaving Melwood.

I also note that the LMA statement doesn't criticise it's members for talking to clubs secretly when being ready to jump into one of their comrade's seat within hours of a sacking. Funny, that.

Offline luciano

• Main Stander
Where will the news first break about Hodgson? Is their a twitter account I need to be following? One that can be trusted?

Offline italian scouser

• Anny Roader
O'niel, no, overrated manager.
Deschamps, yes he is working and won't leave until the summer.

I fail to understand why you think O'niel can help us, but Rafa and Rijkaard, who are infinitely better managers, can't?
'cause O'neil workwd in a not good team as Villans with some good results( now they are worse than us).
It's strange but it's true. look at Trapattoni he always done well in a top team but when he went to Cagliari he failed. for this reason
Rijkaard( but maybe be I'm wrong) needs a different team to get some results.
Concerning Benitez I think when you leave it never a good idea come back.
don't forget last year there was some trouble between players and him, I mean if last year the situation was bad, why this here that everything is worse the situation should change?
Oh... I am a Liverpudlian, I come from the Spion Kop
I like to sing, I like to shout I go there quite a lot (every week)
We are the team who plays in red
A team that we all know A team that we call Liverpool

Offline Lavish Habits

• Main Stander
I think the biggest issue here is money and what we can offer a new man. A good coach, and more importantly a decent man manager, can turn round this squad, especially if they look to a couple of our youngsters to kick start things (Pacheco, Wilson), but if we are going to get someone in with long term ambition then they will want some understanding that they will be backed in the transfer market. I think this is why Deschamps wasn't interested and why he is distancing himself now, and should we want someone like Villa Boas, Deschamps, Rijkard or even Coyle to come in then they need to hear something different to the messages of austerity that was coming from the owners (albeit shitehouse, lying, horrible, horrible owners). We got landed with Roy as he was the only one available for whom, a move to Liverpool being the pinnacle of his career, was enough. I hope things have changed. Personally I would bring in Keegan, Macmanaman and Barnes in til the end of the season as it least it would mean they stopped spouting rubbish elsewhere.
I sat there watching the Liverpool fans and they sent shivers down my spine. A mass of 40,000 people became one force behind their team. That's something not many teams have. For that I admire Liverpool more than anything." Dutch legend Johan Cruyff after Istanbul.

Offline baynesy

• Kemlynite
  • "Where is Toppo?"
Hodgson gone, Rafa in please. Any supposed or potential issues with Comolli shouldn't cloud the fact he's the best manager available.

FSG should give him as a minimum the £40m a year we were wasting on interest payments, plus an initial pile of cash to signal intent to the Torres' and Reinas they mean business. That will stop any nonsense with the board and he'll go about his business quietly like his first few seasons.

Squad's no worse than he picked up last time, and his first year worked out ok.
"If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be."

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
If Kenny isn't under consideration, I would be happy with Segura as caretaker until the end of the season.

His footballing philosophy is the antithesis of the way Hodgson sets up his teams - favouring the Barca 4-3-3 approach, with high pressing. As another poster alluded to, his one season in club management ended in a league and cup double with Olympiakos, so he's got pedigree, albeit in a lesser European league.

I'm convinced Segura would bring back patient pass and move football and thus gets my vote.

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
I'd bring in Frank Rijkaard right away and give him a five year contract with sufficient funds to turn the club round. He is currently unemployed and would remove the need to move Kenny back upstairs in the summer.
He is fluent in English, Spainish and Dutch and would therefore not have a problem communicating with any of the players. He would also command instant respect based on what he achieved as a player, 2 European Cups, at least 2 Serie A titles, the European Cup with Holland. Then as a manager has won La Liga and the Champions League.
His style of football he likes to play is cohesive attacking football something we have been crying out for for the last 4 seasons (Rafa included),

If it were me I'd bring him in.

This
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
This thing about Coyle. I don't get it. I watch Bolton every week and they are nowhere near as brilliant as i've been reading. Alot of their passages of play includes lumping it upfront.

It's not just about Bolton, but what he did at Burnley etc. He's a promising up and coming manager. At some point, do we gamble on someone like that, or wait until he gets another big job and it's too late? There are risks in such an appointment, sure. But as we can see from many threads discussing possible managers we're unable to attract, if you wait until they're proven, you might be out of luck.

Offline NaoiDeag

• Main Stander
  • Strange days indeed
if Hodgson knows he's out then I'd rather the team were 'led' by Sammy Lee for one game (not as a formal caretaker manager). I can't see any benefit for the club (or any dignity for Hodgson) in going to OT knowing that he's out of a job even if he wins it.

Coyle as manager working with Dalglish has some appeal. I also think Coyle might possibly be coaxed into leaving Bolton mid-season.

Makes sense.

What you say about Coyle is right, I'd just have a slight reservation about going for someone who is 'so hot right now'. He's the manager that's being talked about now, the way Mr. Hodgeson was last season. Then again, Coyle's tactics are clearly more progressive, and we tend to do well under a Scottish (Irish international fair enough) manager (he says, bearing in mind the trauma of the moustachioed one in the early 90's)

One other thing about Coyle that would concern me though is pulling power, which, like it or not is significant these days, particularly given our current standing.

Convincing argument made above for Rijykaard. He'd want the same right hand man (ten Cate) that he had at Barca though. Seemed lost without him at Gala.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
Kenny/Segura looks an interesting option.

My preferred one in fact, at least till the summer.
Add a striker or two, Segura will throw in some youngsters, and its alot more healthy again.

Offline luciano

• Main Stander

Roy Hodgson made a farewell speech to his Liverpool players after their midweek defeat at Blackburn, it has been claimed.

Reports say the "down and emotional" boss told stars it had been a pleasure working with them.

One insider who claims to have been present said: "He said 'I'm sure the owners will want me out after this.

"And he even added 'It's no fun hearing your own fans singing another manager's name every two minutes'."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Roy-Hodgson-made-farewell-speech-to-Liverpool-players-and-predicted-his-sacking-after-Blackburn-defeat-reports-article665945.html#ixzz1ALDSn7CH

Spinless gutless cnut, cant even be bothered fighting for his job, just waiting for the pay-off, what dignity is there in that???????????