Author Topic: Glazer debt drains Manchester United (Not nearly 1 billion in new deals)  (Read 349191 times)

Offline Fuzion6

• Legacy Fan
Re: Glazer debt drains Manchester United
« Reply #3120 on: February 21, 2013, 11:33:24 pm »
That's big news, from my understanding he was doing a good job.  If that's Gill and Ferguson leaving over the next few years then stability may be tested.  Let's hope so.
I know Ed Woodward v well and he will do a great job..ironically he is a Liverpool fan

Online ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #3121 on: February 22, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »
I know Ed Woodward v well and he will do a great job..ironically he is a Liverpool fan

Get that info on Dread Cafe and get the bastards hounding him before he even gets in the role!
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #3122 on: February 22, 2013, 04:21:57 pm »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #3123 on: February 22, 2013, 05:09:30 pm »
be a good time to get him to us! Like him or hate him he is excellent in this role.

We no chance of getting him but, that's the type of CEO we need.

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3124 on: February 23, 2013, 03:39:22 am »
Hopefully he's like Ayre, good at the commercial side of things but spasticated as a CEO/Managing Director
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Online Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #3125 on: February 23, 2013, 05:54:25 am »
Hopefully he's like Ayre, good at the commercial side of things but spasticated as a CEO/Managing Director
Hopefully he's good at neither.

Although I dont like it, Gill's position at the FA is not much different to what we had when Noel White was on our board. People should think about that before crying conspiracy.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: February 23, 2013, 06:21:53 am »
Although I dont like it, Gill's position at the FA is not much different to what we had when Noel White was on our board. People should think about that before crying conspiracy.

Online Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #3127 on: February 23, 2013, 06:45:06 am »
:D
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3128 on: April 8, 2013, 12:15:21 am »
Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris 3m

Breaking: Man United sells naming rights to Carrington training HQ & training kit sponsorship to Aon. 8-year deal worth around $230M

United also have a new $559M main shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet due to start in 2014-15

Ahead of Carrington naming rights/training kit deal with Aon - estimated $230M over 8 years - United bought out $65M, 4-year DHL deal
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3129 on: April 8, 2013, 12:16:07 am »
That DHL training kit deal they bought themselves out of has been replaced by:
Mark Ogden ‏@MOgdenTelegraph 1m
Man Utd announce £180m eight-year deal with Aon for training ground naming rights and training kit.
They'll now train at the AON Training Complex and have AON logos over their training gear.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
Re: Glazer debt drains Manchester United (Not)
« Reply #3130 on: April 8, 2013, 12:23:22 am »
That much money to sponsor a fucking training ground  :o

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
Re: Glazer debt drains Manchester United (Not nearly 1 billion in new deals)
« Reply #3131 on: April 8, 2013, 12:37:28 am »
Who ever at United that comes up with these deals is a financial genius. As a club/business they are lightyears ahead of anyone else in English football.

Offline Po The Panda

• Keyboard Narcoleptic. Has Christiano Ronaldo as his profile picture. Stuck with this name. You could call it his legacy.....wants to pop a caps lock in yo ass.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Real Username: LEGACY
« Reply #3132 on: April 8, 2013, 12:45:45 am »
Ridiculous amounts of cash,  everyone would be fucked if they had no debt!  Yet they still managed to win a shitload of trophies despite it.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3133 on: April 8, 2013, 01:30:40 am »
That sort of money pretty much cancels their debt by the time the 8 years is over doesn't it?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #3134 on: April 8, 2013, 02:35:52 am »
That sort of money pretty much cancels their debt by the time the 8 years is over doesn't it?

If they pay it off the debt of course, but if they don't, they're idiots.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Online hide5seek

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in THE 5 EUROPEAN CUPS
« Reply #3135 on: April 8, 2013, 02:37:27 am »
Nothing stoping us getting our training kits sponsered to.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3136 on: April 8, 2013, 02:50:58 am »
Jesus Christ. £23 million a year for the naming rights of their training ground and training gear? What the hell is in this for Aon? What exactly are Man Utd saying to them?  At least Chevrolet are buying space on a very visible billboard around the world. You can in theory see a vague point to what they are doing. Has anyone told Aon that Man utd train behind very high wall away from cameras?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3137 on: April 8, 2013, 04:21:04 am »
They aren't going to be knocked off the top anytime soon.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Packalacky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3138 on: April 8, 2013, 07:33:42 am »
Fecking hell. An extra £23M a season... for training ground naming rights.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3139 on: April 8, 2013, 07:44:56 am »
We're lucky that they are in massive amount of debts and that the old tramp will be retiring soon, imagining them without any debt, is a frightening prospect to say the least, in theory they could spend thrice as much as City, and the scary part is that it won't be via a sheikh playing with his play toy rather via income they generate.

They're really miles ahead of everyone.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #3140 on: April 8, 2013, 07:51:40 am »
Everything is set for them for the future, except for the managerial change. If the successor of Fergie becomes a success, then it will be a mountain for every other club to climb (if it is not already).
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3141 on: April 8, 2013, 08:02:21 am »
£28.7m per annum for a training kit/venue deal and we're getting £20m for our main shirt deal? Fark.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3142 on: April 8, 2013, 08:43:38 am »
That's big news, from my understanding he was doing a good job.  If that's Gill and Ferguson leaving over the next few years then stability may be tested.  Let's hope so.

I thought it was because he's aiming for a UEFA bigwig job, with Uniteds support as well.
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3143 on: April 8, 2013, 08:45:02 am »
PANIC!!!!!!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
    • X / Twitter: @TheLiverNerd
« Reply #3144 on: April 8, 2013, 09:59:53 am »

Their gross debt is around £375 million. They are paying 16.5% interest on that loan. Which means their debt interest alone is £62 million.  Their sponsorship deals total £75 million. So their sponsors pay off the debt interest.

The article below is from last August by Michael Moritz, a top Silicon Valley investor — and a Manchester United fan suggested their future is not so bright:

'WE recently changed our corporate name from Red Football LLC to Manchester United Ltd because we thought the former might be considered un-American and confuse prospective purchasers of our shares with the former Soviet Union’s national team.

Our business is a globally recognised brand and we estimate 10% of the world’s population follow our football team. For our entire 2011 fiscal year our revenue was $513m (£326m) — roughly equivalent to the revenue Google generates every five days.

Our club is being listed in New York because legal and regulatory restrictions are more favourable to people who place enormous amounts of debt on companies than in other venues we have considered — such as London, Singapore and Hong Kong.

We have more than $1 billion of debt due within the next 220 weeks that we have no means of repaying. All the assets of the club have been mortgaged against these debts, including our training ground and even our interest in a small freight warehouse.

Since July 2008, we have paid $792m in interest and other finance costs which is more than Mr. Ferguson, our distinguished manager, has paid for all the players he has purchased during the past 20 years.

Because we are so desperate to raise money, our corporate tax rate will rise from the 27% levied in the UK to the 35% required in America.

Our legal structure ensures the Glazer family, our main shareholder, will maintain absolute control over the company after the offering. Between 2001 and 2009 our club paid the Glazers a total of $25m in fees and gave them a $15m loan.

Our executive co-chairman, Avram Glazer, was previously the chief executive of Zapata Corp, a fish-oil producer, that once attempted to become an internet company by changing its name to Zap.com. Zapata was bought in 2009 by Philip Falcone of Harbinger Capital who, last month, was charged with securities fraud by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Our business model is to help the Glazer family, our controlling shareholder, stay one step ahead of the banks. We employ a variety of approaches to achieve this including:

Raising ticket prices. Between 2005 and 2011 we were able to raise the average ticket price by almost 6% a year, which was almost double the rate of inflation in the UK during the same period.

Increasing sponsorship revenue. Guests of our corporate sponsors, such as Nike, DHL, Aon or Turkish Airlines, will soon be able to view our players’ private training sessions. We used to conduct these activities in strict privacy.

Boosting merchandise sales. Our new team shirts (which differ for home and away games) sell for $85. We sell many other branded products including car air fresheners, short nighties for women, four-poster bed canopies and a special men’s fragrance — Eau de Sport.

The competition for player and management talent in the Premier League is intense and our rival owners includes Russian oligarchs, Middle Eastern sovereigns, Indian chicken farmers and American hedge fund managers. Some of these have access to cash — which, unless this offering is successful, we do not.

Fortunately we don’t have to comply with the same reporting obligations as other public companies because our business qualifies in America under the newly passed Jobs Act as an “emerging growth company”. We emerged 134 years ago and in the past nine months our growth was 6%. The word “company” does apply to our club — although in a limited manner.

Old Trafford, our home ground, is called “The Theatre of Dreams”. Prospective purchasers of our stock will understand why.

Michael Moritz is chairman of Sequoia Capital'
"Believe you are the best, then make sure that you are." - Shankly

Twitter: @TheLiverNerd : https://x.com/TheLiverNerd

Offline Coutistar

• Sugar-coated to hide his monstrous intellect
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3145 on: April 8, 2013, 10:27:58 am »
I think they are sugar-coating something and trying to hide something by signing such ridiculous deals

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3146 on: April 8, 2013, 10:29:17 am »
I think they are sugar-coating something and trying to hide something by signing such ridiculous deals
:lmao
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: April 8, 2013, 10:32:04 am »
Needing such deals (and having to spend £75M to get out of current ones) just to pay off debt interest makes it even more sweeter that H+G have gone.

Offline benn25

• Finger licker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: April 8, 2013, 10:39:00 am »
Who ever at United that comes up with these deals is a financial genius. As a club/business they are lightyears ahead of anyone else in English football.
It makes me fucking sick
We just leave them be for a while, take a breather, let them settle, then bang!  All over them like a tramp on chips.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #3149 on: April 8, 2013, 10:41:08 am »
If United are the very top of the ongoing market rate for these sorts of sponsorship deals, how do they likes of City's and PSG's fabricated sponsorship deals, to cover their arses with FFP, stack up?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3150 on: April 8, 2013, 11:10:56 am »
If United are the very top of the ongoing market rate for these sorts of sponsorship deals, how do they likes of City's and PSG's fabricated sponsorship deals, to cover their arses with FFP, stack up?

United's deals give the plaything clubs' deals legitimacy. They will peddle the fiction that they are as big as Man Utd, and thus the deals are reasonable. Everyone knows that the deals are not market-rate, but they are close enough to someone's market rate that it would be messy to prove in a legally watertight manner that the deals are not legit.

Or more briefly, it helps them to get away with it.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #3151 on: April 8, 2013, 11:31:21 am »
United's deals give the plaything clubs' deals legitimacy. They will peddle the fiction that they are as big as Man Utd, and thus the deals are reasonable. Everyone knows that the deals are not market-rate, but they are close enough to someone's market rate that it would be messy to prove in a legally watertight manner that the deals are not legit.

That is what I thought and believe is the worst part of these deals for United.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3152 on: April 8, 2013, 11:32:00 am »
This just makes the Chevrolet deal seem even more ludicrous. I mean now they won't have their logo on friendly shirts when in far flung tours, etc.

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: April 8, 2013, 11:37:02 am »
I've been waiting for their crash for years now, it's just not going to happen. I'd better get used to them being up and around..

Meh
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #3154 on: April 8, 2013, 11:42:19 am »

You could argue it the other way.  That United can use the going rate for PSG/City as a benchmark and then add a premium because they are much bigger.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3155 on: April 8, 2013, 11:50:23 am »
You could argue it the other way.  That United can use the going rate for PSG/City as a benchmark and then add a premium because they are much bigger.

Utd's deal is legit though. They can set whatever price they want, but they still have to find someone willing to pay that price. They have persuaded an independent company to pay that price. They may have used the City deals as a marker, but if the price was too high, they would not have any takers.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3156 on: April 8, 2013, 11:54:39 am »
That is what I thought and believe is the worst part of these deals for United.

United don't really need to care about the impact these deals have on legitimatising big sponsorships for the likes of Man City and PSG. They've just ramped up their revenue backed purely on performance. They've got the largest PL stadium, have one of the largest existing fans bases in the world and have a recent history of success at the highest levels. Their deals are with major corporations, owned by shareholders that require a return on investment. Not state sponsored airlines like Emirates, Ethiad or Qatar that are simply an excuse to justify exorbitant expenditure.

We're doing pretty good considering the only major global trophy was back in 2005. The only way we get naming rights for Melwood is if it starts producing PL winning teams. I'm happy with what we have with Standard and Warrior. It's relative to where we are.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #3157 on: April 8, 2013, 11:56:04 am »
Utd's deal is legit though. They can set whatever price they want, but they still have to find someone willing to pay that price. They have persuaded an independent company to pay that price. They may have used the City deals as a marker, but if the price was too high, they would not have any takers.
This is true.

But it is City's artificial deal which is causing the inflation.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3158 on: April 8, 2013, 12:00:07 pm »
Its just smart. Sadly.

But like BarryCrocker says, its reflective of where they are as a club.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3159 on: April 8, 2013, 12:04:16 pm »
I honestly don't get what is in it for them to pay this much.

You never really see many pictures of them in training gear and you hardly ever hear about the training ground let alone it's name. I can see a benefit to having the logo on for friendly games and also to sponsor the pre-season tours but for nearly £20m a season?!