Author Topic: Rafa Benitez gives to Rhys Jones Memorial Fund  (Read 15928 times)

Offline markay_stinkay

• Legacy Fan
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Bet £50, get £50 free
Rafa Benitez gives to Rhys Jones Memorial Fund
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:44:13 am »
Apologies if this has already been posted - didn't see it.

Liverpool FC's former manager Rafael Benitez has donated an undisclosed amount to the Rhys Jones Memorial Fund.

His cash injection will help build the new community centre in memory of the 11-year-old who was shot dead in Croxteth in 2007.

The new Inter Milan boss arranged for a cheque to be delivered to the Jones family on Thursday.

Mr Benitez said: "In all my time at Liverpool this is one of the stories that affected me most."

Rhys Jones was gunned down while walking home from football training through the Croxteth Park Estate.

His killer Sean Mercer was convicted two years later after a lengthy police investigation and scores of arrests of gang members across Liverpool.

Mr Benitez added: "I am doing this on behalf of the people that cannot. I know that every person on Merseyside would have loved to give the fund a donation but they are in hard times and can't find the extra cash.

'So dignified'

"To think that this lovely little boy was taken from his family in such awful circumstances is heart-breaking.

"I still remember his mother, father and brother Melanie, Stephen and Owen coming to the match not long after Rhys died and how they were so dignified, it is something I will remember for a long time.

"I hope this money goes towards making this community centre happen for all of those people who are working so hard for it."

The £1.5m development is just yards from where Rhys honed his football skills and will include a purpose-built sports facility when it is finished.

The 11-year-old was shot as he walked home from football practice Melanie Jones, Rhys' mother, said: "I'm lost for words really. This is so kind of Rafa and his family and we are once again overwhelmed by the generosity.

"He didn't have to do this and we have let him know just what a difference it will make to this project.

"Something good will come out of our tragedy if we manage to keep Rhys' story in the hearts and minds of everyone."

Rhys' father Stephen added: "It's an amazing gesture, and as Melanie says the football clubs together with the players and managers have been a great help ever since we lost Rhys.

"We will put the money to great use and continue to try and sing the praises of sport over joining gangs or getting involved in crime. It's really given the family an amazing boost this."

Mr Benitez made a £96,000 donation to the Hillsborough Family Support Group only a few weeks ago and has also donated money to the Lily Centre - a Liverpool based charity that offers support to women with breast cancer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/10409916.stm

What a man.

Offline ThisIsMickey

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Re: Rafa Benitez gives to Rhys Jones Memorial Fund
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:54:59 am »
Every week there's a new story to remind us how great he is and how fucked up we are for letting him go. Amazing gesture.
"100% of the shots you don't take don't go in"

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:55:52 am »

Rafa is legend.

Offline Wesley Pipes

• Legacy Fan
  • PSN: WesleyP1pes
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:58:52 am »
he will be our manager again...

when our ambitions match his.

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:07:02 am »
What a man indeed.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:10:25 am »
Brilliant gesture, brilliant man who obviously fell in love with the city and it's people.

:( He'll be sadly missed
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 06:11:37 am »
What more can you say? The man is pure class, simple as that.

Offline vitriol

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:12:21 am »
he will be our manager again...

when our ambitions match his.

I believe in destiny. The man is destined to lead us.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 06:18:04 am »
Super gesture from a super leader. He'll be back with us one day.

Offline brwah

• Main Stander
  • Eyyyyyyyy!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 06:24:08 am »
Rafa brought God back, now God will bring Rafa back to Liverpool FC!!!

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 06:27:20 am »
lost for words.cant believe that this gentleman was shooed away by a bunch of dummies.
top man,rafa.
he WILL be back one day.

Offline Bangor-Boy-Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 06:31:24 am »
Some may doubt Rafa the football manager, but NONE can doubt Rafa the man.

Legend in my eyes and I hope to see him back in Liverpool before he ends his career

Rafa YNWA

Offline fivein05

• Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 06:34:49 am »
Your a great Man Rafa.
One poster on this site is going to let me down this season! Don't let it be you!

Offline kiwimark

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 06:44:44 am »
Legend....in every sense of the word.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 06:46:10 am »
Rafa, on the off chance that you're reading this, or anyone who can pass the message on. You possess class and dignity a thousand times that which those above you could dream of.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 06:55:26 am »
He has to come back.  After he has proven his point and we have gotten rid of the scum that let him go.

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 07:00:45 am »
He's going to be skint at this rate ;-)

Another fantastic gesture from a fantastic family for whom the last 6 years have been more than work or a job, it's been their lives and they've truly immersed themselves in Liverpool and Merseyside living, as well as any Scousers.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 07:01:25 am »
Great gesture this from Rafa on top of the money donated to Hillsborough.  Wonder how much Purslow et al lumped in?

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 07:08:30 am »
Such a thoughtful, compassionate soul "our" Rafa.  Much love to the Benitez family.   
"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 07:11:20 am »
Thanks Rafa.
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 07:12:37 am »
What else is there to say of a man who has done so much for the city, the club and the supporters...He just keeps impressing me everytime he steps forward.

Rafa, legendary.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 07:15:54 am »
I bet there's more than those 3 donations as well that haven't become public knowledge yet.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 07:53:37 am »
Some may doubt Rafa the football manager, but NONE can doubt Rafa the man.

Should read

"Some may doubt Rafa the football manager with one arm tied behind his back and the other fending off shite from curmudgeons"

Offline lincolnred-dad

• ok i'm an arse. a big fat arse.
  • Kopite
  • It's my bloody fence and I'm sitting on it!
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 08:00:21 am »
there's part of me that thinks this will not be the last donation that we hear about from rafa to good causes, and that he pushed for as big a payoff from the twats as possible not to be greedy (as some might suggest) but to put their money to good use for a change.
If Tevez signs I will be the first man in history to run from Sydney to Melbourne in complete and utter nudity  :D

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 08:03:03 am »
Was posted on another thread but deserves a thread of its own. Absolutely brilliant by Rafa and his family, what a legend. Can't wait for him to come back.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 08:05:12 am »
Still devoed. Brilliant gesture. He had nothing to gain from doing this but does it anyway.

Legend, and worth a million times more than the c*nts who barracked him and got him booted out of our once-great club
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline dakx

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 08:15:12 am »
Lagend. Pure class.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 08:17:49 am »
Hope he keeps enough of his severence to buy himself out of his Inter contract when we get new owners ;)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline chrisG

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 08:20:13 am »
Wirral care home given cash boost by outgoing chairwoman Montse Benitez

by Gary Stewart, Liverpool Echo

DEPARTED Liverpool FC manager Rafa Benitez and his wife Montse have offered a final donation to a Merseyside care home they took on as a charity project.

The couple, who are in the process of moving out to Italy where Rafa will take over as head coach of AC Milan, have had close links with Hoylake Cottage, a Wirral-based home run as a charitable foundation, since arriving in Merseyside six years ago.

Montse, who is giving up her voluntary role as chairman of Hoylake Cottage's social events committee, has been helping to raise the £1.5m needed for a new day care centre for older people.

But she did not leave without offering a parting donation which - though an unspecified amount - the charity described as 'generous'.

Montse said: 'I was very close to my granny, who had dementia for 10 years until she died.

'She had a nurse at home, but not everyone is so lucky, which is why I wanted to help Hoylake Cottage.

'I will keep in touch with all the progress and hopefully once the new centre is built, I will come back to join in the celebrations.'

Hoylake Cottage's chairman of trustees Tony Twemlow said: 'The gift from Montse and Rafa is extremely generous and we are all more grateful than we can say for their tremendous kindness.

'Their donation will go a long way to helping us to build a centre which will provide relief to older people and those who care for them at home.

'Also, I would like to say a huge thank you to Montse for her support over the years.

'She was a fabulous ambassador for Hoylake Cottage and has helped us to gain much needed support for our events and campaigns.

'I wish her and Rafa lots of success in their new life in Italy.'

A recent dinner hosted by the Benitezes at Liverpool FC and attended by many of the players raised £40,000 for Hoylake Cottage.

Other events included champagne receptions at the Duke of Westminster's estate, Christmas bazaars and golf days. The Day Care Appeal will fund a new kitchen and laundry and a centre providing day care for older people and those with dementia.

Work is expected to start later this year.

Offline NZ Red

• Kopite
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 08:20:26 am »
What a man. A story like that brings tears to your eyes. It's becoming harder and harder to look forward when Rafa keeps tugging on my heart strings

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2010, 08:22:30 am »
The Echo. Ac Milan.

Need some better proof-readers
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 08:22:41 am »
What a man. A story like that brings tears to your eyes. It's becoming harder and harder to look forward when Rafa keeps tugging on my heart strings

Been trying to post without being melodramatic, think you put it better than i could.
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 08:34:50 am »
just another class act from a classy man who knows what the liverpool way is all about- something the tumours, the board, the press, and some sections of our fanbase are rather unashamedly and shamefully ignorant of...

ynwa boss. come back soon when we're worthy of you.
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 08:54:48 am »
there's part of me that thinks this will not be the last donation that we hear about from rafa to good causes, and that he pushed for as big a payoff from the twats as possible not to be greedy (as some might suggest) but to put their money to good use for a change.

You're right about it not being the last donation. Just read the Echo article; Montse always came across as a classy lady.  Such a dignified pair: very humble and down to earth.  Their genuine love and concern for the Liverpool way of life is further evident in their altruism. 

p.s. I was thinking along those lines that he was donating some of the money to give back to the community.  Clearly our owners & board wouldn't be putting it to good use, to say the least!   
"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 09:11:13 am »
Absolute class, nothing more to add.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 09:16:10 am »
Amazing.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 09:16:13 am »
he is said he is staying in Liverpoool, this is his home.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 09:18:39 am »
What a classy wife he's got too. We love you too Montse!
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 09:31:50 am »
Wow can they get any better.

Wouldn't surprise me if they have given money to other projects we don't know about yet.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Marko B

• Legacy Fan
  • Ray Osbourne RIP
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 09:36:43 am »
Legend is a criminally overused term in this day and age. It's most definitely not in this case.

A truly great gesture from a truly great man and his equally great wife.
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
“I was not fighting for the power. I didn’t need more power. I was fighting for the future of the club.”