Author Topic: Singapore Issues International Arrest Warrant for Graffiti Artist  (Read 12945 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
From Times Online
June 8, 2010

Briton wanted in Singapore over vandalism
Times Online

Police have begun an international hunt for a British man alleged to have spray-painted a Singapore commuter train — and who may, tantalisingly, be one of the most notorious graffiti artists in the world.

If he is tracked down authorities could finally lay their hands on one half of the shadowy McKoy Banos partnership — a duo celebrated by fans on the internet and believed to be responsible for elaborate works of graffiti on railway carriages all over Europe.

Under Singapore’s strict laws — many of them altered only slightly from the days of British colonial rule — the artist thought to be responsible for 17 years of spray-painted “tagging” of train carriages could receive several years of imprisonment and eight lashes with a 4ft (1.2 metre) rattan cane.

Yesterday police in Singapore issued an international arrest warrant for Lloyd Dane Alexander, a Briton thought to be in Hong Kong, and said that they would push for extradition wherever he turned up.

The move comes after Oliver Fricker, 33, a Swiss national alleged to have worked as Mr Alexander’s accomplice on the May 16 graffiti-painting of the Singapore train, was charged at the weekend with trespass and vandalism. He and Mr Alexander stand accused of breaking into the main Changi railway depot to deface a MTR commuter carriage with two large, brightly painted signatures reading “Mckoy Banos”.

Graffiti is commonplace in Europe but in a country that outlaws chewing gum and that has arranged humiliating punishments for litter bugs, grand-scale acts of vandalism are exceptionally rare.

Mr Fricker, who has lived in Singapore since 2008 and works as a business consultant, was released on Saturday after an unnamed source posted his bail of 100,000 Singapore dollars (£49,000). He will appear in court on June 21.

If Mr Alexander is tracked down it remains unclear whether the net will finally have tightened on the real McKoy and Banos. Little is known about the identity of McKoy, though it is believed that Banos is a British citizen who has been living in Australia. Such is Banos’s fame within the small cabal of international graffiti artists that his signature is used to advertise Ironlak, an Australian brand of spray paint.

In a recent flurry of online postings between graffiti fans some have questioned whether the Singapore train was “bombed” by the genuine Banos, or whether the man who has been charged and the man police are pursuing are no more than daring imitators.

Legal sources believe that Singapore is likely to be successful in its attempt to extradite Mr Alexander if he is caught. Although the punishment — particularly the caning — is severe many countries, including China, have extradition treaties with Singapore.

It is not the first time that the severity of Singapore’s punishment for graffiti artists has hit the global diplomatic stage. In 1994 Singapore ignored pleas for leniency by President Clinton and carried out the caning of an American teenager convicted of vandalism.

source

International arrest warrants? Extradition? Seriously?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
lol lashes!? bit extreme, not sure that would float especially if he was caught elsewhere

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
Finn Solomon is gonna have a sore ass soon!!
C'est la vie.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
Cool, didn't know this got international attention. The thing is that the guy and his friend sneaked into a train depot to create their masterpiece, which is supposed to be heavily guarded. Serious questions are being asked about the state of security of our train depots, because if some starving artist could spray an entire train carriage, the same thing could be done by a terrorist planting bombs or something.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
Cool, didn't know this got international attention. The thing is that the guy and his friend sneaked into a train depot to create their masterpiece, which is supposed to be heavily guarded. Serious questions are being asked about the state of security of our train depots, because if some starving artist could spray an entire train carriage, the same thing could be done by a terrorist planting bombs or something.

So they should thank them for bringing attention to their pitiful security.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes

"I don't care if he prefers a thin whippy one, get me a propah fucking bat, will you guvna?"

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
So they should thank them for bringing attention to their pitiful security.

That's exactly what I thought when I first heard about it. Still, you know politicians. Can't stand to be made fools of.

"I don't care if he prefers a thin whippy one, get me a propah fucking bat, will you guvna?"

:D
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Serious questions are being asked about the state of security of our train depots,

Yes but why aren't serious questions being asked about committing man power and resources to hunt for a guy who sprayed some stuff on the side of a train? Have they nothing better to do?

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
Yes but why aren't serious questions being asked about committing man power and resources to hunt for a guy who sprayed some stuff on the side of a train? Have they nothing better to do?

In a nutshell, yes. There are entire government agencies with literally nothing better to do. Although I'd prefer to see that Romanian diplomat motherfucker who killed two people in a drink driving accident hauled up before a judge in chains here first, there's plenty of people for both.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
Re: Singapore Issues International Arrest Warrant for Graffiti Artist
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 12:52:31 am »
In my day, we would lock him up, in chains, and put a metal mask on his head and throw away the key.

Oh, I miss those days..
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 04:24:27 am »

Echoing Finn, why not, when it can be spared. Nothing else is being neglected, and I like having clean trains.

Also, one of my favourite theories is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixing_Broken_Windows

Allowing one case to slide simply creates an unfortunate precedent.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 04:42:40 am »
Singapore is fuckin strict when it comes to things like this. Which explains why it is probably the cleanest, and I mean THE CLEANEST country I have been to in my life. Chewing gum is also banned.

Also, low crime rates, and excellent place to visit.

I rate singapore higher than I do austria or switzerland as places I would love to live in/work at.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 05:14:49 am »
Actually chewing gum has been unbanned for like ten years now. Just that no one really buys it much. Who'd want to look like Ferguson on the touchline?
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 05:26:56 am »
Actually chewing gum has been unbanned for like ten years now. Just that no one really buys it much. Who'd want to look like Ferguson on the touchline?

It has? I tried buying some at a 7-11 no less than 4-5 months ago on transit at changi airport and was told its banned. Oh well..:(

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 06:01:43 am »
It has? I tried buying some at a 7-11 no less than 4-5 months ago on transit at changi airport and was told its banned. Oh well..:(

You can buy sugar free 'dental gum' from pharmacies, who make you jump through hoops filling in this form. A bit silly, but if you're like me who likes his breath minty fresh, its a tolerable inconvenience.

Normal sugary gum is still not available.

Its a logical solution for me. Anyone who buys gum for hygiene or health purposes is slightly more likely to dispose of it properly than your everyday off the street kid.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 08:36:04 am »
Every time I read about this, I am reminded of my Singaporean friend who was caned and fined for littering.. Haha, epic story. Said he couldn't sit on his ass for a week.. :lmao
C'est la vie.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 08:43:02 am »
Every time I read about this, I am reminded of my Singaporean friend who was caned and fined for littering.. Haha, epic story. Said he couldn't sit on his ass for a week.. :lmao

Hahaha, must be an urban legend, not quite that draconian around these here parts. Caning is reserved for serious crimes like rape, kidnapping, robbery etc. Vandalism happens to just be a bit quirky that they consider it a serious offence.

If you are actually caned, it actually causes fairly serious injury if its a high number of strokes, and I'm sure your mate would have been in a far more serious condition than just having a sore bum. Its akin more to a lashing by a cat o nine tails than a traditional beating by the headmaster.

For littering I think the worst that happens is that you are forced to do community service in a bright outfit that proclaims you a litterbug.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 08:47:02 am »
Hmm, I wonder if he made it up. I don't doubt that he would have done something like fighting or vandalism though. He served the Singapore Army for 3 years and all..
C'est la vie.

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 09:03:20 am »
Hmm, I wonder if he made it up. I don't doubt that he would have done something like fighting or vandalism though. He served the Singapore Army for 3 years and all..

If I'm not wrong, the army still has corporal punishment in the form of caning, but you will need to have done something pretty serious to warrant them punishing you with that.

Or he could have been playing to stereotype ;D A lot of the guys in the army do that.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 10:06:28 am »
Echoing Finn, why not,

It's a lavishly disproportionate punishment for the offence. That, however, is Singapore's business, they can have whatever barmy laws they want.

Getting the rest of the world's police forces involved is another matter. They actually do have better things to do.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 10:31:26 am »
Hahaha, must be an urban legend, not quite that draconian around these here parts. Caning is reserved for serious crimes like rape, kidnapping, robbery etc. Vandalism happens to just be a bit quirky that they consider it a serious offence.

If you are actually caned, it actually causes fairly serious injury if its a high number of strokes, and I'm sure your mate would have been in a far more serious condition than just having a sore bum. Its akin more to a lashing by a cat o nine tails than a traditional beating by the headmaster.

For littering I think the worst that happens is that you are forced to do community service in a bright outfit that proclaims you a litterbug.

No, people have been canned for also graffiti in the past so don't be surprised. The singaporeans take law and order very seriously from what I can see and I am actually in awe for their low crime levels and the fact I don't have to worry if the wife is out and about on a business trip there because its a great place for families and kids.

No shootings, no gangs, no muggings, etc etc....

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:35 am »
No, people have been canned for also graffiti in the past so don't be surprised. The singaporeans take law and order very seriously from what I can see and I am actually in awe for their low crime levels and the fact I don't have to worry if the wife is out and about on a business trip there because its a great place for families and kids.

No shootings, no gangs, no muggings, etc etc....

I'm not surprised, I'm pretty sure about it ;D I've lived here(there? I get around :P) a long while, and littering isn't something you get caned for.

As far as I can recall, vandalism is the only one most people consider surprising, as a crime that carries a punishment of caning.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 10:41:28 am »
I understand people's distaste with the concept of corporal punishment for relatively minor offences and wasteful allocation of limited resources to bring these people to trial, but if any country with archaic laws is interested, I would willingly hit Tracey Emin in the face for you with a big length of 4 x 2 for her "art".
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 10:53:29 am »
Here's a list of things that might get you a damn good thrashing.

Nice to see that Lurking is listed as an offence.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 10:54:05 am »
I understand people's distaste with the concept of corporal punishment for relatively minor offences and wasteful allocation of limited resources to bring these people to trial, but if any country with archaic laws is interested, I would willingly hit Tracey Emin in the face for you with a big length of 4 x 2 for her "art".

Have you seen her face? Someone beat you to it.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 03:59:09 pm »

Nice Fawlty Towers reference...

It's a bit silly, but they've been part of the books so long and so rarely used I guess people just never think about it that much. A bit like our law forbidding homosexual relations.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Valore

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 04:01:28 pm »

Because really, no one would feel ill at ease with Purple Aki 'LURKING' outside your home in the dead of night ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 04:04:31 pm »
A graffiti artist!! ARGH!
RUN FOR YOUR LIVES

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 08:15:14 am »
Not sure what the news is here. The laws there are very, very clear. It's a lovely place to visit. Everyone seems very chilled and respecful. The place is wonderfully clean and everything is nice.

This idiot comes along, knowingly defaces things that other people have to clean up - spending time and effort and now they want to punish him for it.

He did it knowing the consequences - he can't complain if he's caught.

For the record, perhaps this country would be a little better without morons defacing everything and wrecking anything they can get their hands on.
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 09:42:17 am »
Not sure what the news is here.

I posted it and the news is quite clear.

The laws there are very, very clear. It's a lovely place to visit. Everyone seems very chilled and respecful. The place is wonderfully clean and everything is nice.

This idiot comes along, knowingly defaces things that other people have to clean up - spending time and effort and now they want to punish him for it.

He did it knowing the consequences - he can't complain if he's caught.

Which is why I said...
It's a lavishly disproportionate punishment for the offence. That, however, is Singapore's business, they can have whatever barmy laws they want.

The news is...
Getting the rest of the world's police forces involved is another matter. They actually do have better things to do.

But hey, if you would rather your police force spent their time tracking down a guy who drew some stuff on a train 10,000 miles away in another country, instead of patrolling your streets and catching your criminals, be my guest.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 09:58:16 am »
Or send the IDF after him..they seem to be everywhere these days...international waters, foreign countries using aussie and british passports..etc etc...

they seem to be rather free.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 10:01:13 am »
He's in Chinese Hong Kong, not anywhere you live. The Chinese are probably the only country in the world with a higher ratio of policemen and soldiers than us.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 12:46:59 pm »
He's in Chinese Hong Kong, not anywhere you live.

The OP says he's "thought to be in Hong Kong". He's British, there's a good chance he could turn up there.

The Chinese are probably the only country in the world with a higher ratio of policemen and soldiers than us.

Hmm. Cuba, maybe, or North Korea. Still, I take your point.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 09:02:05 am »
I sometimes wonder how the UK would be if the 'happy-faced fascism' (as it has been called) of Singapore was introduced there.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 09:29:27 am »
I sometimes wonder how the UK would be if the 'happy-faced fascism' (as it has been called) of Singapore was introduced there.

A bit cleaner and a bit more respectful you'd think.

People like me are fine because when I get approached by a mob of fucking stupid kids, I stand up to them and they fuck off like the little shithouses they are. However, people of milder temprement, women, old people, other kids must be terrified of stepping outside the door.

The UK is fucked up at the moment and that stupid bastard Thatcher started the lot of it. She killed Britain. Cow.
I love you all. Even Mancs x