Author Topic: 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone'  (Read 20051 times)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
'You don't know what you've got till it's gone'
« on: May 4, 2010, 11:47:37 am »
Firstly this is an unashamed defence of Rafa Benitez, thought I’d write it now as I don’t know whether he’ll still be here later today, you don't know who to believe anymore but apparently he wants assurances that any money he raises from selling players he can keep, If that doesn’t show the constraints he’s working under, I don’t know what does. This comes out of discussions in the ‘Arl arse thread’ where Fat Scouser and VdM were saying that they didn’t know why we fell from grace this season but it was the most spectacular fall they could remember. It got me thinking about the reasons. There’s an insult that's thrown at those of us who support Rafa that it’s all about blind faith, ‘In Rafa we trust’, but the reality is that most of us support him because we think he’s a great manager who will show how good he is when someone backs his vision.

Benitez not only won us a European Cup he got us to another final in Athens, and that was the start of the decline, he had been promised resources and he realised that they weren’t there. The owners were rumbled, they didn’t give two f***s about the football side, they’d bought into what they hoped was a cash cow and our beloved club was nothing more than an undervalued asset to be milked and sold on. From this point Benitez was under the added pressure of constantly having to watch his back from those inside the club. Yes he won those political battles but at the cost of his authority being undermined, everyone knew during the whole saga he was one mistake from the sack.

Yet, towards the end of last season it clicked, as it sometimes does in football, and for a brief period we looked one of the best sides in Europe. But then this season we witnessed a slide, and the knives were out, a manager that has proved he knows what he is doing has been turned into a figure of fun to be ridiculed by football luminaries such as Stan Collymore and Paul Merson. So what happened and why was the slide so spectacular?

Firstly it’s impossible not to start at the top, if in any organisation there are real behind the scene tensions, these will find a way of surfacing the minute there’s a setback, and this can uncertainty can spread like a virus in a sporting environment where the manager’s authority must be sacrosanct. Our club was and is a mess, providing a very unforgiving terrain for managing a football club.

Benitez is characterised as a defensive manager and I think this does him a great disservice. I would argue he is a manager who likes his team to control games both in attack and defence. Like most managers he started from the back and built us into a team that could control play from the back, but I think that this was not enough for him and he wanted to build a team that could control play in all areas of the pitch and attack and defend as a single unit, and that in some ways accounts for our downfall.

This season was the one for many of us, we’d witness our side demolish Real Madrid and the Mancs at Old Trafford and we went into it with high hopes. Not only did we have high expectations, we also had the fear that if we didn’t win it this season, the mancs would win 19. Tension and expectations were high. So when we lose early doors to Tottenham and Villa, we were plunged into a full scale crisis, none of us were to know that this season everyone would drop points, mentally we were fucked within three games.  This and a disastrous close season where we started expecting Silva, Villa and Barry and finished realising we couldn’t afford Shawcross effected mentality, heads went down too easily and for this as manger Benitez must take some of the blame, where was the manager who admonished Gerrard for saying we couldn’t win the European cup? I suspect after he realised the resources on hand he half agreed with the players.

Football wise, we started seeing the next step, we were playing a more expansive game with the fullbacks pushing on and providing width. The centre backs are supposed to stay compact and play a high line. The problem was this exposed our defence and we started leaking goals. Our centre backs were too slow to play a high line and the lack of Alonso to mop up exposed their poor distribution. With no funds available, therefore no one coming in, Benitez reverted to keeping it tight at the back for the rest of the season. Our midfield of Mascherano and Lucas were needed primarily to protect our defence as they readjusted to having no Alonso to provide cover and more importantly no Alonso making himself available as a distribution option in every tight situation,   Injuries and mishaps, compounded a bad situation.

However, towards the end of the season there have been glimmers of hope. Aquilani although not match fit, has been knitting the midfield together playing a more forward role. You can see how Benitez wants the midfield to play. Gerrard’s world class at every aspect of his game bar dictating play, he needs someone to do this for him, with Alonso gone and Lucas too much inexperienced and in awe of him, things were breaking down. With Aquilani in there, Gerrard is free to concentrate on producing the devastating football; we all know he’s capable of, for the first time since Alonso went. I’m not too worried about the midfield. If there was no off-field nonsense I would be quietly confident of our engine room.

We've played at least a third of the season with a reserve striker, who's coming on but it’s glaringly obvious we need another striker or two, and a class replacement for Carragher who can play a high line and distribute without hoofing. the only obstacle is funds, does anyone really think Benitez doesn't want class cover for Torres? The ironic thing is that when we took the step backwards and reverted to playing a more defensive style that suits him Carra has played well this season.

I’m sure Benitez understands our weaknesses and strengths better than any of us with funds available I think we might surprise a few people,in trying to move to an expansive style of play we were exposed but a manger of benitez's class could put this right with money for players but instead we face a situation where we might lose the manager and this could act as a catalyst for us losing some of our top players. G&H will be made up, they never liked the upstart Benitez anyway, his football obsession got in the way of business what I can’t believe are some of our fans also want this. You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2010, 12:20:19 pm by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 'You don't know what you've got till it's gone'
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2010, 11:52:32 am »
Spot on.

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2010, 12:06:01 pm »
I don't think it could be put much better!
"Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say... WE ARE LIVERPOOL." - Bill Shankly

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2010, 12:06:40 pm »
Great post.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2010, 12:09:16 pm »
Excellent post, 92A - thank you for tying up both the on- and off-the-pitch issues so well.

And to also quote Joni Mitchell from the same song "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot".  The life is being sucked out of this club and if anything, it's been Benitez keeping it on a respirator.   Many would have cut the tubes ages ago and walked away.  To those who argue that he's squandered money and goodwill, I'd vehemently argue that what's been given he's fought tooth-and-nail to get, and in almost cases, has indisputably earned.   You take away those "rights" from him, then take away Istanbul, the FA Cup, and all the magnificent days and nights we've had over the last 6 years 'cause you don't get to rejoice in one without dealing with the other.

But as always, you'll be preaching to the converted here (but thank goodness you've bothered).   Not minutes before reading your post, I'd wasted 2 minutes of my life reading this garbage:

I've personally become fed up with him. Too many headscratching moves, and quite frankly too many excuses. 7th place is simply not good enough, and if he's going to hold the Juve job as ransom then good riddance.
:wanker

So big a thanks from me for restoring the balance to my morning. 
« Last Edit: May 4, 2010, 12:31:21 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2010, 12:10:11 pm »
A bit of luck aside we weren't great even before the financial problems under rafa. We went out and bought torres, masch, skrtel, dossena, riera, babel.....and what do we have to show for it?

Yes the owners are scum. Yes we need backing and yes rafa has worked under tricky conditions. Fact is as a manager, judging him on his actual job rather than how much of a scouse he has become he has done a piss poor job this season. Our biggest problem has been alonso/hyppia and even voronin leaving, and sorry, but that is all rafa's fault.

You're entitled to your view, i just wish people would stop presenting the situation in such a skewed way. He's had big signings each and every year, he's simply failed to improve us with them.

You say we don't know what we've got till it's gone. I say who dares, wins.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2010, 12:25:25 pm by Cid »

Offline SteB

• Kopite
  • Our Reason, Our Inspiration, Our Pride. JFT 96
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2010, 12:14:50 pm »
Is right. The biggest and only winners if Rafa goes are H & G
What you see is what you get Youve made your bed, you better lie in it You choose your leaders and place your trust As their lies wash you down and their promises rust Youll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns And the public wants what the public gets But I dont get what this society wants

Offline awraith

• Main Stander
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »
Great post.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2010, 12:16:38 pm »
Been a topic i have considered writing a few times myself, and im glad i didnt as this prob said it better than i could anyway.

For me, i feel it is easy to be frustrated, annoyed and angered by what rafa has got wrong, and take for granted all the things he gets right. I will miss him when he leaves

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »
Great post - Rafa has to stay.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline BrettD

• Legacy Fan
    • Want an accessible website? Click here!
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2010, 12:24:21 pm »
Super post, many times I've tried to write something along those lines only to scrap it. Superb stuff.

Offline redway101

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2010, 12:24:49 pm »
Great post, in truth, I've wavered a bit over whether I'd want Rafa to stay or not but over the last 48 hours when there seems to be a sense that he might well go and we start to discuss the possible replacements, shudder, it really brings into focus the fact that we have a top draw manager and we'd be mad to let him go because of one bad season.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2010, 12:25:09 pm »
Nicely put mate. Had a few non reds questioning how I can still support Rafa. To be honest, I’ve got to the point where I’m resigned to him going, or at least I want things resolved one way or another as soon as possible so we can move on but I told them that if we do lose him I can’t see us finishing as high as 7th next season.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2010, 12:36:53 pm »
I told them that if we do lose him I can’t see us finishing as high as 7th next season.

This is what bothers me most right now, and it's probably what has convinced me he has peaked here. He's gone to great lengths to convince everyone that we're shit. We're just blatantly not, our first team is stronger than anyone bar chelsea imo.

Offline kenny78

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2010, 12:37:56 pm »
Great post mate .Rafa must stay and see this through without the muppets hindering his every move

YNWA

Offline lilluisg

• Main Stander
  • He drinks sangria and sambuca and jaeger and cider
    • twitter
« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2010, 12:38:51 pm »
A fantastic post 92A, thank you. Perfectly sums up our situation, I pray he's still here at the beginning of next week never mind next season. I sincerely hope, with new owners, he gets the financial backing he so obviously deserves because if so, I believe he can return us to the promised land. IN RAFA WE TRUST!!
Mamadou Sakho...

Poppadoo krosswordpuzzle

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2010, 12:40:04 pm »
Great post, I fear if Rafa goes we might well witness what may have been had Shanks been canned after a similar period of time.

A word on Rafa's transfer dealings, in my humble opinion the poor guy has been forced to go all Championship Manageresque to try and raise funds for quality players, I do not doubt for a second that he can spot quality and I seriously cannot believe he has gone through so many players through choice, rather than circumstance!

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: May 4, 2010, 12:41:12 pm »
Excellent points made and sums up the problems he has worked under. In reality we are a mid table club in terms of the backing our undoubtedly world class manager has been given. With the in fighting and lack of funds and the way the league has gone this season, 7th is where we are. It should not be the case and is not good enough, but this is the reality we are in.

All i am certain of is that it is not due to the boss. Its the clowns at the top of the club that are responsible. Back the manager and he will provide. The real problem is that I really believe that come the middle/end of this week we may be facing a future without Benitez in charge.

Losing Benitez would be a disaster for this club and would set us back further than we were before Houllier arrived and restored some semblance of order.

Offline Dave_the_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: May 4, 2010, 12:44:11 pm »
Spot on. Rafa must stay and its the chuckle brothers who should be pushed out asap. tw@ts

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 4, 2010, 12:45:50 pm »
This season was the one for many of us, we’d witness our side demolish Real Madrid and the Mancs at Old Trafford and we went into it with high hopes. Not only did we have high expectations, we also had the fear that if we didn’t win it this season, the mancs would win 19. Tension and expectations were high. So when we lose early doors to Tottenham and Villa, we were plunged into a full scale crisis, none of us were to know that this season everyone would drop points, mentally we were fucked within three games.
It's a very good post, but this highlighted part is what gets me the most about this season. There really isn't any defence for it. How on earth could we be "mentally fucked" three games into the season? Where was the mentality, the will to win, we saw just one year earlier? We didn't have that much of a better squad then, yet the players found a way to win somehow. The football wasn't great until the final 12 games, but I've lost count on how many times we came from behind to win at the last breath.

So, why did Reina come out and downplay our hopes for the season, almost as soon as it started? Sure, we lost Alonso (and I did think that was a blow we couldn't get over this season, but I couldn't possibly imagine it would be this bad), our squad were maybe a little bit weaker, but Chelsea didn't sign anyone except Zhirkov, and United lost Ronaldo and Tevez. If we'd looked around, the teams around us were worse off than the year before, and not even a year, just month earlier. How is possible to be mentally fucked three games into a new season after ending the last one on such a high? I think Rafa must take a lot of blame for that, and I do think it could be impossible for him to instill the belief into our players again. After a season like this it must be very, very difficult to turn it around, to lift the squad again. And it doesn't help that Rafa and senior players seem to think it's impossible to improve on what we've seen this season without four-five new players (which we're very unlikely to get, regardless who's our owner). What does that say to the players we have? Not even the boss thinks they're good enough, and that might be the truth (like I said, I didn't expect us to win this season), but surely we're a lot better than this? Even without investments, this very same squad is better than almost any in the league. Why downplay it to such an extent like Rafa does (and Reina, Torres and Gerrard also did), when it's more or less the same one which got 86 points less than a year ago?

I realise this isn't really directed at you, but anyway, now I wrote it, might as well post...

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »
It was a vicious cycle from start to finish mate. The writing was on the wall pre-season. Demoralising defeat, followed be hard fought draw/win, injuries, freak incidents, for one reason or another we just couldn't shake our way out of it and put a run together.

The reasons - not excuses - are easy to see, if you have a look for them. I've listed them time and time again in thread after thread... two forward going fullbacks in their first full season, Lucas having to be thrown in too early as a permanent replacement for Xabi, Masch playing like shite in the first third of the season, about 17 different permutations in the back four in the first 20 odd games... no wonder the defence went to bits.

It's even easier to see the reasons why weren't the same in midfield and attack.

But like Conny just said.... you are only preaching to the converted.

Others, like some of our own players sadly, just can't be arsed with any of that or taking a look at themselves when it's so much easier to just let their head's drop, and point the finger at Rafa.

Sad times.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2010, 12:50:50 pm »

Great Post- good to here some sense on here after all the Doom & Gloom merchants with their instant gratification expectations- Rafa has a work in progress here so dont lets mess it up in its final stages.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2010, 12:55:41 pm »
This is what bothers me most right now, and it's probably what has convinced me he has peaked here. He's gone to great lengths to convince everyone that we're shit. We're just blatantly not, our first team is stronger than anyone bar chelsea imo.

Cid, I agree that with the players at our disposal (if we had them for most of the season) should be much higher than 7th. I just think that if Rafa goes the whole thing could tumble like a pack of cards. If we have the same squad next season and better luck with injuries then yes, I'd say top 4 is still an possibility but seems like a big 'if' at the moment.

Offline Miguel Sanchez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Proud member of the Witness Relocation Program
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2010, 12:55:42 pm »
Great post, really well put.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you...

Offline Jimmy Case

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: May 4, 2010, 12:56:07 pm »
That's a great post, 92A. I bet we'll wait ages and then you'll post 3 at the same time.
"Can I mind your car mister?" "No thanks lad, I've got an Alsation in the back"

"Can it put fires out?"

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 4, 2010, 12:58:42 pm »
It's a very good post, but this highlighted part is what gets me the most about this season. There really isn't any defence for it. How on earth could we be "mentally fucked" three games into the season? Where was the mentality, the will to win, we saw just one year earlier?

Simple answer is that Rafa has been forced into being a politician, to save his job in the first instance and manouvre for money to spend on players laterly. He must be so frustrated being so near yet effectively miles away. Those battles take their toal even if you win them.

Instead of concentrating on football, which was impossible because of the circumstances, sometimes Rafa the Politician said things that Rafa the football manager shouldn't say. The politician and the football manager got mixed up. An understandable mistake, but Benitez is not a God but a human being trying his hardest in imposible circumstances.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #26 on: May 4, 2010, 01:00:10 pm »
For me one of the saddest things is that you have to write an "unashamed" defence of a man who has brought us so much. There is no reason for anyone who backs Rafa to be ashamed - and yet I suspect some people have turned simply because it's easier to do so than to stick up for what they actually know to be right.

Credit to you mate, it's an excellent post.

Sadly, I suspect it's a tribute to someone who is very soon to be our former manager. I wish desperately to be proven wrong on this but I doubt it greatly.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #27 on: May 4, 2010, 01:00:11 pm »
It's a very good post, but this highlighted part is what gets me the most about this season. There really isn't any defence for it. How on earth could we be "mentally fucked" three games into the season? Where was the mentality, the will to win, we saw just one year earlier? We didn't have that much of a better squad then, yet the players found a way to win somehow. The football wasn't great until the final 12 games, but I've lost count on how many times we came from behind to win at the last breath.

And in turn, a good post from you too Roger.

Rafa is a fine manager with a good record, but that does not mean that sometimes he doesnt get it "wrong". All of us, me included, thought that last season we were on the cusp of the breakthrough. None more so than Rafa. Alonso's departure was an irrelevance.

Then the season started, the window closed, and it became apparent that all was not well. But the die was cast. A combination of injuries, loss of form, bad luck and with hindsight only, the wrong transfer moves, did for us.And Rafa could not turn it round.

There is no reason why Rafa cannot weave his magic again though, if he is allowed to. And it appears, funding permitting, that that is what he is prepared to do.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 4, 2010, 01:00:58 pm »
That's a great post, 92A. I bet we'll wait ages and then you'll post 3 at the same time.

See your kids sense of humour runs in the family ;)

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #29 on: May 4, 2010, 01:05:10 pm »
Without a doubt we will regret losing benitez.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 4, 2010, 01:05:56 pm »
Fantastic post, thanks for typing it out!

Some of the football we played against Chelsea (before the goal) was mouthwatering. Aquilani, Maxi, Gerrard, Yossi, Lucas, Kuyt - pass and move was back. Imagine Torres upfront to finish it off, fullback that can bring a cross in (sorry Masch, that just isn't what you do best), and we might see something special. Without injuries, the first XI would be nearly there imo (maybe 1-2 changes). What we despeartely need is quality cover for the first team. I love bringing through youth players, but we can't expect 19,20 year olds to seamlessly take over from Torres ot Gerrard.

Lets hope the board has an ounce of sense left, and gives Rafa enough backing that he stays. We'll miss him once he's gone.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

royhendo

« Reply #31 on: May 4, 2010, 01:06:41 pm »
It encapsulates everything that - very well put mate, as always.

Josemisuncle made a point yesterday that likened the last calendar year to projects he'd worked on himself. Fingers crossed he expand on that here.

Offline klobutruck33

• Anny Roader
  • MELLORRRRRR!
« Reply #32 on: May 4, 2010, 01:10:42 pm »
Spot on. Rafa must stay and its the chuckle brothers who should be pushed out in front of a bus asap. tw@ts

Fixed it for you  ;)

Excellent post 92A. It's true no one person is bigger than the club but it's not right getting rid of the bloke who along with his assistants have helped reshape the club slowly but surely. His job isn't done yet so why sack him or force him out? Back him for fuck sake you two muppets.  :no
He's only on loan,
he's only on loannnn,
Rafa Benitez,
he'll be coming back home!

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 4, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »
Fantastically written and well balanced post.

To boot out a manager who gave us so much, after one bad season is backwards. Lets hope he stays because i would certainly like more nights like the fantastic European matches we've become so fond of under him.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #34 on: May 4, 2010, 01:20:46 pm »
great post mate!!! I couldn't agree more! really hope Rafa doesn't leave us  :(
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 4, 2010, 01:21:49 pm »

Simple answer is that Rafa has been forced into being a politician, to save his job in the first instance and manouvre for money to spend on players laterly. He must be so frustrated being so near yet effectively miles away. Those battles take their toal even if you win them.

Instead of concentrating on football, which was impossible because of the circumstances, sometimes Rafa the Politician said things that Rafa the football manager shouldn't say. The politician and the football manager got mixed up. An understandable mistake, but Benitez is not a God but a human being trying his hardest in imposible circumstances.
I could go along with that explaination. But, then, how is Rafa going to turn it around? Again, we hear the same things that was said at the start of the season (and I understand where he is coming from, he wants to win things with this club, and for that to happen we need a couple of better players), but I don't see how it will help us going into a new one. If - which is the most likely outcome - we don't get five new class player, what's he supposed to say in the dressing room before our first game? If he stays, it's going to be extremely difficult to turn it around, and a new face, someone with - dare I say it - a more hopefull or optimistic view could manage our squad better (no, I don't know who that could be, and I don't trust the board to make the right appointment should Rafa leave - so the title of the thread could very well become true if he did).

I know Rafa made Valencia into champions again after a pretty poor season inbetween, so he is able, but I think the obstacles here are worse. Not least because of the owners, but also the fact that he hasn't got that title he had a Valencia. His players there knew he could win with that squad, he'd done it the season before, but here? The manager seems to think the squad isn't up to the required standard anymore, not even close (despite the 08/09 season), and why should the players now think differently? I desperately want him to turn it around, but I'm not sure he can. I said as much during our horrible run of form during the fall, and it's not exactly looking better now.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2010, 01:23:38 pm by Roger Federer »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #36 on: May 4, 2010, 01:21:58 pm »
A brilliant post.

I can see the press now if Benitez goes and we have a poor start to next season. 

"Well he was the best manager they could have had given the situation..he got them 2 to European cup finals - winning one - and runner up in the Premiership with the limited funds because of the owners and the debt they'd laden on the club.  Ok, he had a blip last season but you can't argue with his record given the circumstances"

Just the same as when Alonso left - all of a sudden he was a world class player that was the heartbeat of our team and we missed him terribly even though we were a two man team -Gerrard & Torres - (the majority of our fans recognised Alonso's "worth" before the sale).

I'll be gutted if Rafa goes.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 4, 2010, 01:26:01 pm »
good post, rafa will do well wherever he goes. we all know that much.

and i also know rafa won't be here forever, this was never going to be his last job in football.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #38 on: May 4, 2010, 01:30:35 pm »
Great post

Offline macca_no11

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: May 4, 2010, 01:31:05 pm »
Excellent post - absolutely spot on IMO.

My question: is there anything more we can do to improve the chances of Rafa staying? Clearly he knows that the majority of fans are behind him, so it's not about letting him know that we want him to stay, but what about letting the board know that there'll be hell to pay if they don't give him what he's (apparently) asking for? And FFS, if he's really just wants the right to spend any money he makes on transfers, then how much less could he be asking for, and how could they possibly justify denying him without coming out and admitting that they deliberately forced him out? So I suppose I'm wondering if there's anything (that is, anything we haven't done already) pro-active that we could do to sway the decision our way before it actually gets made? (Which I suppose begs the question of when the decision is getting made - is it really all going down later today?)

I just hate sitting here feeling so disempowered, not being able to do anything except obsessively read RAWK for news of anything being decided one way or another. :(