Author Topic: Phil Thompson speaks out against Gillett and Hicks  (Read 16461 times)

Offline Walton Breck Road

• Wants Fernando's babies
  • Kopite
Phil Thompson speaks out against Gillett and Hicks
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:11:34 pm »
Kop legend speaks out as Liverpool FC face fresh financial threat

Phil Thompson has made a passionate plea to Liverpool's owners to sell amidst reports that failure to qualify for the Champions League could cost the club up to £25 million.

In an exclusive interview with Click Liverpool, the Kop hero gave his damning verdict on the turmoil that has plagued Anfield since the takeover by George Gillett and Tom Hicks in February 2007.

The Reds currently find themselves £237 million in debt and could miss out on between £20-£25M in revenue should they fail to qualify for Europe's premier club competition next season, which follows news that they could also be forced to repay continental grants.

If the planned new stadium in Stanley Park is not built, the club face the prospect of having to cough up the £8.2 million they secured from the European Regional Development Fund in conjunction with Liverpool City Council to make improvements to the site that would allow work to begin.

But a series of financial setbacks have left the project indefinitely on hold with Christian Purslow, the club's managing director, currently seeking an investment of at least £100 million to reduce the debt owed to the Royal Bank of Scotland following a refinancing agreement.

The Americans have come under heavy fire from Liverpool supporters and those flames have been fanned further after ex-player and lifelong fan Thompson, 56, called for the pair to leave following a series of broken promises made upon their arrival three years ago.

He said: "We wanted our new stadium well before Arsenal, but they've now got a 60,000-seater stadium that they’re filling every week and are taking in vast amounts of money every week compared to what we are.

"The club, the stadium and what's happening on the field just seems to be secondary in the Americans’ minds. They're all about money and getting the debt down which shouldn't have been there in the first place.

"When they came in I was one of those who thought that they were saying the right things but they didn't keep to their word of having a spade in the ground after 60 days and not heaping debt on the football club.

"They've been offered decent money [to sell]. If they can't see the future and if they're not going to invest in the team, whether it's Rafa Benitez or somebody else, they're not magicians and you can't work [like that] at the top of the Premiership."

A disappointing campaign has seen pressure mount on manager Benitez after Liverpool have failed to build on last season's finish as Premier League runners up.

Thompson, the club's assistant manager between 1999 and 2004, feels that the Kop boss has been forced to book balance after failing to be backed fully in the transfer market by the Anfield chiefs.

"I can remember myself and Gérard Houllier being given a budget in the summer of £12 million," he revealed.

"That’s not a lot of money but we did it, we got by. We bought some decent players, and some bad ones as well, but I think Rafa's not had any money to spend last summer and no money to spend in January.

"We're a team who finished second last year and that was a chance to consolidate our position.

"People say that we’ve spent £40 million but we’ve also recouped that £40 million so [effectively] Rafa's spent nothing and that's wrong. There should have been money in the kitty for the manager to spend.

“The only thing we as fans can see that they're paying off the debt while we as a football club and a team suffer, and that is wrong. it should be all about the football team.

"They have to have a serious look at what they have been doing and if they haven't got the commitment to invest in the team as Rafa and the supporters see fit, they've got completely different views."

Kirkby-born Thompson, who captained Liverpool to European Cup glory in 1981, called on senior players to speak out against the current regime after Fernando Torres hinted that he would consider a future away from Anfield if the club did not sign reinforcements this summer.

He added: "Fernando Torres said he didn't want to be fighting for fourth place every year and he is absolutely bang on. He's a player, a foreign player, who has come to the club. They have to listen to him.

“He and Stevie Gerrard should be saying 'if you're not going to invest, why would we want to remain here?' They need to give them some ultimatums."

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/128505-exclusive-kop-legend-speaks-out-as-liverpool-fc-face-fresh-financial-threat.html
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:55:18 pm by Walton Breck Road »
RINGO FER PRESIDENT

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: Phil Thompson speaks out against Gillett and Hicks
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:15:33 pm »
Well in from Tommo - hes been the most outspoken ex player for some time, hopefully some others will join him.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »
He added: "Fernando Torres said he didn't want to be fighting for fourth place every year and he is absolutely bang on. He's a player, a foreign player, who has come to the club. They have to listen to him.

“He and Stevie Gerrard should be saying 'if you're not going to invest, why would we want to remain here?' They need to give them some ultimatums."

Agree with him cept for the above... the owners xmas' will have come all at once if that happened... they could sell the biggest assets we have and push the blame onto Gerrard and Torres for "wanting to leave"

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:16:49 pm »
Well done Thommo. Balanced and credible, just the sort of ammunition that SOS need.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:19:27 pm »
Could be a good ambassador for SOS, been saying for ages we need a public figure at the front of campaigns to help with media exposure

Offline Stuie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 12:20:26 pm »
well in Thommo

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »
He did say...on the telly when asked whether Rafa would be here next season he said...No. In the light of this he likely meant Rafa was unfairly financially handicaped against the other top teams and might walk out in protest.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »
He did say...on the telly when asked whether Rafa would be here next season he said...No. In the light of this he likely meant Rafa was unfairly financially handicaped against the other top teams and might walk out in protest.

Can't blame him if he did

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 12:22:34 pm »
the thing with thommo is that he has actually spent time managing the club and knows the difficulties involved. Its easy for ex players to slag rafa off this season as they have never managed or managed a club like ours.

Phil is telling it as he sees it and he has the experience to back it up as well. SOS should get in contact with him and get him onboard as a spokesperson. They could do with his influence might make a few more people fight for the cause.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Simon C

• witty wording
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tries to post intelligently and normally fails..
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 12:22:46 pm »
Great article and well written. I just hope the Liverpool/Rafa bashers Whelan et al, show the same level of respect and stop resorting to cheap shots to enhance their own careers.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 12:23:40 pm »
The tragedy is that the selling of Torres and Gerrard would go some way to achieving the cowboys goal of reducing the club's debt. You get the feeling they would relish selling some of our star players.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 12:25:12 pm »
It makes you think tough, £12M with whatever was recouped in player sales on top of it.

And people say Benitez has had it easier than Houllier...
RINGO FER PRESIDENT

Offline freddwarf

• Pub bore. See? See? I was right! Gerrard back in C/Mid! Told you all months ago! See? Listen to me! I'm always right! Chose accessorising over a European Final. Gave his wife the trousers.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 12:28:16 pm »
If Ronaldo is worth 80 odd mill....we could get say 85 mill for Torres...maybe 45mill for Gerrard..er..30 mill for Reina...and a bag of horse shit for Reira...that's..er...160 mill......well maybe not....we'll keep Reira.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 12:28:25 pm »
Well in Thommo and I fully agree with the suggestions about trying to get him onboard the SoS.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »
Good to hear him re-itterating what he said on soccer sat last week. Hopefully the likes of aldo and barnes will back him up.

Agree with him cept for the above... the owners xmas' will have come all at once if that happened... they could sell the biggest assets we have and push the blame onto Gerrard and Torres for "wanting to leave"

torres has already said he'll consider leaving if they don't invest.time for more to follow suit

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 12:31:08 pm »
The tragedy is that the selling of Torres and Gerrard would go some way to achieving the cowboys goal of reducing the club's debt. You get the feeling they would relish selling some of our star players.

In the short term yes, but them two sell a lot of shirts and even put some bums on seats against the smaller teams. Add to that the sponsors they attract, and the way the teams performance would suffer (which would also have a financial impact) and I would wonder if they wanted to sell Gerrard and Torres. What I suspect we will see, as we saw in January, is the sale of more fringe players leaving us with a very small squad, especially if you want to be in the right part of the league table.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline WhoseLeftFoot?

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 12:32:37 pm »
If only some of our other ex players were as honest, forthright and loyal as Thommo.

Then again, he doesn't really give a shit about jumping on a bandwagon just to further his media "career"

Thommo = legend.
They cured my multiple personality disorder - but where am I now when I need me?

WUM eater - and I'm hungry ;)

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 12:33:12 pm »
Hopefully the likes of aldo and barnes will back him up.

Don't hold your breath on the first one.

Barnes did a lot of speaking at the Malta supporters club in January so he's doing his bit. Not as in depth about the ownership as Thommo but he's still doing his bit.
RINGO FER PRESIDENT

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 12:34:24 pm »
It makes you think tough, £12M with whatever was recouped in player sales on top of it.

And people say Benitez has had it easier than Houllier...

In what time the TV money has increased massivly, sponsorship has increased (not as fast as it should have), and CL money has seen the clubs turnover about double compared to the days when Tommo was at the club.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 12:36:10 pm »
torres has already said he'll consider leaving if they don't invest.time for more to follow suit

With our squad potentially being made up of free transfers and reserves do you honestly blame him and do you think that should Torres ever leave under the current owners they wouldn't put the blame onto him directly?

In the short term yes, but them two sell a lot of shirts and even put some bums on seats against the smaller teams. Add to that the sponsors they attract, and the way the teams performance would suffer (which would also have a financial impact) and I would wonder if they wanted to sell Gerrard and Torres. What I suspect we will see, as we saw in January, is the sale of more fringe players leaving us with a very small squad, especially if you want to be in the right part of the league table.

As said before, sell Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano, Reina goes a long way to reducing the debt on the club... there would still be people interested in buying the club, which would just leave the owners to walk away with larger profits....

Offline RedRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »
Thommo is legend! Love him. Although I disagree with that bit about Torres and Gerrard.

Offline althered68

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »

And leave 16 million on the table?...I don't think he'd get his money if he quit...The Yanks would probably love it if he did walk out.
My Canada includes Liverpool!!!

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 12:51:06 pm »
former players speaking up is all good and well. but it will make absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 12:52:24 pm »
Has anyone got hold of a link of him saying all this on Sky Sports News?
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 12:58:07 pm »
Would love him as part of our setup again.Someone with a bit of fight.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 12:59:40 pm »
This Summer will be vital.

If Hicks and Gillett stay and the stadium work doesn't begin, and we don't strengthen the team, then next season will be worse than this one.
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 01:05:33 pm »
Thommo is a legend

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 01:06:18 pm »
Just love the passion the guy has for the club. Why he puts up with all the other bellends on Soccer Saturday is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzkC4ZBopXo

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 01:13:48 pm »
Well said Thommo. Hope some of the national media pick up on this.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 01:15:59 pm »
Nice one Thommo, legend.

What happened to the share Liverpool FC lot, they seem to have dropped off a bit.

Can't we raise 100 million, to get a say in the running of our club and get these clowns out?

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 01:19:44 pm »
Kudos to Thommo.

He was the player I was most wrong about in the history of the club. He looked like another version of John McLaughlin when he arrived (slight and ineffective) but became one of our greatest players.
He's shown that he's more than just a pundit because he managed the club - and pretty successfully.
His passion is the club.
Everything he says is spot on.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 01:23:19 pm »
Just love the passion the guy has for the club. Why he puts up with all the other bellends on Soccer Saturday is beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzkC4ZBopXo

Its the fact hes on Sky that allows him to speak up id guess. A lot of ex players still depend on the club for income through attending hospitality events etc so cant speak up, where as Tommo is paid by Sky so can say what he wants.
Thinking is overrated.

Online bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 01:23:38 pm »
Well in Thommo. We need more high profile people comming out against the owners.
Football is a lie

Offline benny

• Anny Roader
  • the road end united will never be defeated
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 01:27:25 pm »
former players speaking up is all good and well. but it will make absolutely no difference whatsoever.
Makes a difference to them slagging us off and feeding the media shite,bout time an ex player looked at it through a fans view,well in Thommo lad

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 01:27:36 pm »
Selling Torres would be terrible business. Sure its 80m pounds right now. But the club probably makes a lot off of his name and brand every year.

He is the best striker in the world, he has a lot of flair and is exciting to watch + he is damn attractive which makes him an easy spokesmen for any product you would try to market.

I wonder how much Man U lost in shirt sales when C ronaldo left.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:05 pm »
brilliantly said by a legend

well in thommo

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:06 pm »
Always says the right things.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 01:41:43 pm »
Thommo is legend! Love him. Although I disagree with that bit about Torres and Gerrard.
I hate to be Doctor Doom mate, but if a team or teams come in for them for seriously silly money, they will be off..

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 01:41:48 pm »
Well in there Thommo

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 01:43:38 pm »
Exactly the expression iof someone who cares, and understands the current situation. Rightfully blames the culprits as the Yanks.

Those who have been calling for Rafa's head should learn something from an 'insider'.

Well in Thommo. Need to get this accross to them Yanks in the U S of A
Doubters to Believers