Author Topic: Frustrated Riera blasts Rafa on Radio Marca for lack of playing/dialogue  (Read 126584 times)

Offline evered avenue

• Anny Roader
I've just read a report in the Guardian apparently qouting from a La Marca interview with albert Riera.  Does anyone know anything more about this.  When did he give this interview?  Any links to the full transcript? etc

Here's the Guardian link  http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/17/albert-riera-liverpool?

If it turns out that this report is accurate and he hasn't been misquoted, does this spell the end of Riera's Liverpool stay and will anybody miss him?

Yes we've heard before about Rafa's questionable man management but that aside, this kind of unproffesionalism from a player currently being rewarded handsomely (if of course the reports are accurate) is beyond unacceptable in my books. 

Furthermore, if Riera wants to know why he hasn't played much, rather than thinking the manager has a 'personal' issue with him, maybe, just maybe it's because his recent performances have been cack.

Offline Aliasp

• Main Stander
  • El Prez since 1972
    • The L Files
Re: Riera's rant!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:07 pm »
The Mancurian reports it first before we play against Lille tonight and then their beloved Scum on the weekend.

Sounds like a beatup to me?

Then again...

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:37 pm »
If it turns out that this report is accurate and he hasn't been misquoted, does this spell the end of Riera's Liverpool stay

Probably

And more importantly if what he says is true then thats deeply deeply worrying
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
Frustrated Riera blasts Rafa on Radio Marca for lack of playing/dialogue
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:40 pm »
Although I haven't heard the whole radio interview, I listened to bits of it and Marca have put some of his quotes on their web page.  Some of the things he said:

"When you stop being a part of the managers plans this way[so abruptly], it has to be something personal.  If I'm doing something wrong and you're my boss, and I'm in your plans, the first thing you're going to do is come to me and say: "Look you're not doing such and such things right and in order to play you need to do this instead".  And I haven't had that from him, so this is what pains me the most.  And the team is not doing well, yet you don't see any changes.  It's all very frustrating because you feel you could help the cause and he doesn't let you."

He's frustrated because he's not playing and has lost his place in the National team.  Is considering a couple of offers from the Russian league because it's the only one that can sign players at this point but will consult with the national team staff since they're not as competitive as the English or Spanish leagues.

Also said "Torres and Reina try to cheer me up.  They tell me if I play the way I'm capable of i'll end up playing more regularly.  But you see the weeks go by and you see you're not getting a chance.  I feel a lack of 'touch'.  It's  a shame because you think that being Spanish, communication shouldn't be a problem.  And it's not like my English is that bad anyway..."

"I would love to end my career here (In Liverpool) but as a footballer you want to play.  My objective is to go to the World Cup and the only way is to play on a regular basis."

About Rafa. "I've been here for two years and I know the way he is.  He's never improved a player's situation by talking to him.  He just feels that he's the boss and ignores the rest.  The dialogue between him and the players is basically nonexistent."

"This year has been difficult yet nothing has changed.  When you see your ship is sinking and you make no changes..."

He also doesn't see Rafa managing Real Madrid "At Real Madrid, aside from winning, they demand you play well.  So it seems difficult.  We've never really played beautiful football, effective yes, but never brilliant."

They're replaying part of the interview later so i'll get a better feel for his comments but it doesn't bode well that he's running his mouth now.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:45 pm »
I've just read a report in the Guardian apparently qouting from a La Marca interview with albert Riera.  Does anyone know anything more about this.  When did he give this interview?  Any links to the full transcript? etc

Here's the Guardian link  http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/17/albert-riera-liverpool?

If it turns out that this report is accurate and he hasn't been misquoted, does this spell the end of Riera's Liverpool stay and will anybody miss him?

Yes we've heard before about Rafa's questionable man management but that aside, this kind of unproffesionalism from a player currently being rewarded handsomely (if of course the reports are accurate) is beyond unacceptable in my books. 

Furthermore, if Riera wants to know why he hasn't played much, rather than thinking the manager has a 'personal' issue with him, maybe, just maybe it's because his recent performances have been cack.

Hit and miss player... good technique, questionable temperament, lacks pace. On his day a quality player, on most days totally anonymous. This is not the first time he has had a good at a coach.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 10:24:48 pm »
Can sympathize with Albert. This is probably how Ryan Babel was feeling last season and for the first half of this season. I don't rate him as much as most on here, but he is a good back up player to have. I don't understand why he doesn't even make the bench.

Clearly had a fall out with Rafa.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:25:58 pm »
Not the only player Rafa is said to have stopped speaking to this season. Is the Russian market still open btw?

Offline SwedenRed

• It's time we stopped mocking the afflicted. Being an England fan in Sweden is punishment enough :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 10:26:38 pm »
I dont believe anything printed in newspaper rags.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »
There's something going on if Babel is playing in front of him, Riera isn't even making squads.  However, this is highly unprofessional and the timing is fucking ridiculous.   Personally if this report is accurate I don't know how he can stay at the club, Benitez has had alleged problems with players in the past, but not one of them went to this sort of extreme.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 10:28:33 pm »
I have no idea if it's true or not, but if/when Jovanovic arrives, Riera's position will be under threat. Very much under  threat. Add to it that Riera doesn't exactly add plenty of goals + assists, plus competition from Maxi, Benayoun and a back to life Babel,...

Those players can play in multiple positions, which isn't really true about Riera. All in all, Riera's future is in doubt. It's obvious.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
IF true....

c*nt of a thing to do, even if you're unhappy. Keep it behind close doors, or until you've left, then whinge to your hearts content.
BUT, if he just so happened to come up to me in the street and told me this personally, not a word of it would surprise me sadly.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:24 pm »
Never fond of him as a player really, yes he provided width but always seemed to try a shot when other players were in better positions.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan

It was off a radio interview.  As much as I dislike Marca they'd have to get very elaborate to stage a fake Riera rant on radio.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
cant say i'm surprised at all. we look balanced when he plays, i cant see for the life of me why rafa would stop talking to him.

Offline diaren

• Anny Roader

"He thinks he is in charge and he just turns a deaf ear to everyone else," he told Radio Marca in Spain.

If it was on radio, it must be quite easy to confirm if it's true.

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
I got to sympathize with him. It's all well and good saying that he should keep it behind closed doors, but when your manager is not even speaking to you, it's got to be difficult for him.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
There's a Russian market round the corner from mine... I think it's a front for their Mafia.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
He's always made us look a better team, in my eyes.

Gutted by this situation. Always liked Albert.

Offline Legendary

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.
A lack of professionalism from Riera, but it does offer insight into what might be going on within the organization. Perhaps Rafa has too much power and is just surrounded by yes men? And I'd agree with Riera in that we've hardly played anything close to brilliant football this season.
Every Kick. Every Half. Every Game. Every Year. Liverpool Football Club.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:51 pm »
not surprised, he has made these sounds before... i thought he'd be off in the summer anyway.

will remember him fondly, i'll dedicate tonights spliff to him, i'm sure he'd appreciate it :)
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
He's an option that widens the midfield. Will miss him, class on his day.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
"He thinks he is in charge and he just turns a deaf ear to everyone else," he told Radio Marca in Spain.

If it was on radio, it must be quite easy to confirm if it's true.

technically he is in charge, giggity!
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
he is right about rafa not bein able to manage madrid though. Rafa bein linked to madrid is a non starter

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Sad situation at the club at the moment. Just makes it worse this.

Maybe he's right, maybe some will have sympathy for him (what he says doesn't surprise me at all really for one reason or another), but fucking hell if this just doesn't make things worse before two big games.

:butt

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
Nooo

Our only true winger so hope this isnt true.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
Riera in "I'm not playing and I'm upset" shocker.

"My objective is to go to the World Cup and for that to happen I have to play"

Right, so there we see the priorities. Perhaps some of the other lads that are playing and in the squad before you Albert are the ones that Rafa can see wanting to play for the club and not to only get into their national teams for the WC?

Some of these players really do shoot themselves in the foot with interviews, especially if this is taken from a radio interview. If he has come out and said this then I doubt he'll play for us again. As a manager, Rafa can't stand for this in the media and has to deal with it. If you're feeling hard done by, perhaps it would be better to approach the manager rather than crying to a radio station?

Now I quite like Riera as a player and I think he and Insua link up very well, it's just a shame his pace is a little down, but this kind of thing isn't on and I hope he gets the same reaction on here that Babel got when he went whinging to the papers. I fully understand why players get upset when they're not playing, that's fine. But publically coming out and damning your manager and the way your club plays isn't on. If that's reported correctly, then bye bye albert, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Litmanen10

• Kopite
  • Genious
Riera is probably right with his statement, and it is extremely worrying.
Jesus saves...But GOD scores from the rebound!!

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
It's ridiculous for Riera to come out with this in the middle of a season - especially at such a crucial point in ours - BUT, it's certainly not the first time these accusations have been levelled at Rafa, so I'd be inclined to believe him and sympathise with him to an extent.

Stupid and immensely selfish to go public right now though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:43:41 pm by NealFrom25Yards »

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
Very unprofessional for Riera to do, but it does make you question the negative impact of Rafa's man-management style. Though its not such a problem during the better times, when things are going badly such as they have been this season, togetherness between the manager and players is important. I don't know how many players Rafa has had a falling out with now but it can't be good for the team/squad. You would never see a Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea player doing this.
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
Wonder how this will affect team choice and Babel's recent run of good performances? - sometimes just knowing you're in the 'lead' improves your performance. Babel knowing that Reira feels he's second choice MAY improve Babel's confidence and hence his performances. We can only hope.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
If you're feeling hard done by, perhaps it would be better to approach the manager rather than crying to a radio station?

I agree, he should keep his gob shut, but what if the manager is unapproachable?

Whatever his motives, whatever his selfish actions, it's worrying when this is another player bemoaning Rafa's style and man-management, when the rumours are circling that even senior players don't like it anymore.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:44:33 pm by Paul JH »

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
It doesn't really surprise me...Rafa doesn't do "feelings".

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
Its a shit thing going public by riera but its yet more evidence of rafa's poor man management.  i think riera's a c*nt for speaking out but i do agree that riera has been harshly treated.  he was excellent in his 1st 2 games back from injury, made a big difference to the side, then he had one bad game in europe and he's been totally bombed.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
Sad situation at the club at the moment. Just makes it worse this.

Maybe he's right, maybe some will have sympathy for him (what he says doesn't surprise me at all really for one reason or another), but fucking hell if this just doesn't make things worse before two big games.

:butt

This must be the first time any media outlet has run a negative story on the eve of a big game. Regardless of the situation, if he's been speaking to Marca he's foolish. He's not exactly had the season of his life and any reasons for him not being played can be placed firmly on is own shoulders. We all know what Rafa can be like with players but you have to admit that he tends to be fairly consistent with those that don't fuck about giving daft interviews before big games. I always feel that the players with spot on attitudes (Reira, Torres, Kuyt, Yossi, Lucas) get treated well.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Paul JH

• Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
This must be the first time any media outlet has run a negative story on the eve of a big game.

Eh?

Offline mayday

• Kopite
  • Keep the faith
If quotes are correct, then its frustrating Albert has to come out and say this particular point in our season.

Talk about rubbing salt into wound. The team at this point needs everyone's support and needs the players to turn things around.

I've always liked Albert's play as he brings so much more balance to our side, but if this is going to be his attitude, and if he doesnt turn it around, then I'm afraid he'll have to be shipped out come the end of the season.

In Brendan We Trust

• Legacy Fan
Its a shit thing going public by riera but its yet more evidence of rafa's poor man management. i think riera's a c*nt for speaking out but i do agree that riera has been harshly treated.  he was excellent in his 1st 2 games back from injury, made a big difference to the side, then he had one bad game in europe and he's been totally bombed.

I wouldn't even call him a c*nt for speaking out. He is obviously going through a tough time and he has a manager who is not even willing to talk for him. Maybe he just needed to let of steam and get it off hi chest.

I understand that Rafa has a style of management, but to completley stop talking to a player is not something I want to hear, espeially during such a tough time that we are going through.

Offline simplyred84

• Holding back the years, but unfortunately not holding back the nonsense
  • Anny Roader
Silly boy!

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Nooo

Our only true winger so hope this isnt true.

It is true. On Marca's website you can listen to a short 20 or 30-second soundfile where you can hear him talk about not getting to play and being frustrated because you think you could help the team. At least, that's what I think it is, as my Spanish is (frankly speaking) rather wank... ;)

Very stupid thing to do especially with the games we have coming up in the next few days.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We are only hearing one side of the story here so I wouldn't be too quick to jump all over Rafa about it. I am sure if he was to comment, which he won't do because it should be kept between him and the player, he would have good reasons as to why he has not wanted to include Riera in the team. If you work hard and have a good attitude Rafa will put you in the team/squad. If you don't he won't. It's very simple.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg