Author Topic: Liverpool Legend - Billy Liddell  (Read 14210 times)

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Liverpool Legend - Billy Liddell
« on: March 2, 2010, 10:44:44 pm »
Name: William Beveridge "Billy" Liddell

Birth Date: 10 January 1922
Place of Birth: Townhill, Scotland

Joined LFC: 1938 - signed as professional 17/4/1939
Signed from: Lochgelly Violet – “discovered” by Liverpool Captain Matt Busby (later Sir Matt).

Position: Left Wing/Centre Forward.
Squad/team Number: Billy didn’t always wear a number but his most common one would have been 11, 9 or 7. However he played in ALL 10 outfield positions during his career.

War-time: During the first 6 or so years of his career, the FA abandoned the league system and instead used regional divisions. During this period he played 152 games and scored 82 goals for Liverpool. He played his first game for Liverpool on 1 January 1940 against Crewe Alexandra, scoring after two minutes in a 7–3 win. Due to the fact that he moved about with the RAF, he also played games for Chelsea, Linfield (Belfast), Cambridge Town, Toronto Scottish and Dunfermline.
His official record only started after the war.
Liverpool Full Debut: 5th January 1946 verses Chester City (FA Cup) – Liddell scored on his debut.
Last Appearance – 31st August 1960

Liverpool Stats

LFC Career: 1938-1961
LFC League games/goals: 492 games, 215 goals
Total LFC games/goals:  534 games, 228 goals
Most Goals in one season: 33 goals in 1955-56
Winners Honours: 1 League Championship (1946-47)
International: Scotland – 28 caps, 8 goals (excluding WWII games).

Notable Achievements: Liverpool’s oldest goal scorer being 38 years and 55 days when he scored his last goal for the team on 5th March 1960.

Nickname: The Flying Scotsman or “King Billy”.

He played for Liverpool from 1938-1961.

Billy is the club's fourth highest scorer behind Ian Rush, Roger Hunt, and Gordon Hodgson. He was Liverpool's leading scorer in eight out of nine seasons from 1949 to 1958

So Was He Any Good

You’ll hear lots of the old foggies saying that Liddell was our best ever player. That’s a big statement t make especially when he only had one winners medal to his name and he played a lot of his career in the Second Division (now the Championship). However the more you read about Billy, the more you realise that he was certainly up with the best……if not the best player to have pulled on the red shirt.

An athlete, a gentleman, a role model on and off the pitch, the complete player, he could use both feet and was a great header……thrilling.

On his full debut in the FA Cup, he scored on his debut and was playing alongside another debut player who would later be a club legend – Bob Paisley. In his first league game he scored two in a 7-4 win over Chelsea.

Sir Bob would later say of Billy:

"Forgive me if my eyes sparkle when I think of Bill Liddell. You can talk of how the players of yesteryear would have struggled to cope with the demands of the modern game. Bill Liddell would have been a star in any team, in any age. How I wish I could have had a Liddell in my successful teams. With him in the side I reckon we would have won the Grand National and the Boat Race.”

So if Bob said this then he must have been very special.

Loyalty

Billy won his only medal in his first full season. However as Billy matured and got better, unfortunately the rest of the team didn’t and in 1954 they were relegated to the 2nd Division.

Liddell was the star of the team and was made several lucrative offers to move. However he decided to stay and it is argued by lots of people that this decision was the single most important thing behind the later years of success.

Why? If Liddell have moved on then the general view was that the team would have slipped into the 3rd division and if so then it’s probable that there would be no Shankly era and therefore no glory years.

Billy stayed with Liverpool and it is clear that he would have won many more medals if he had left. His importance to the team was recognised as many people called it Liddellpool.

A Gentleman

As I read about Billy there were two things that stood out. Firstly he had a lot of talent. He was strong, fast and had an immense shot. The other thing that comes across is the genuine respect of him as a person. The word “gentleman” is often used. In the 50s, forwards were not given the protection that they are today (they were literally kicked off the park). It is a measure of the man that he never swore nor was he ever booked.

Billy Hangs Up His Boots

Billy ended his career against Southampton in August 1960. On the team that day was Ronnie Moran who would twice be caretaker manager. Also on the team was a young Roger Hunt who would himself become a Liverpool star under Bill Shankly. Ian Callaghan took over from Billy and he turned out to be quite some player also.

Billy died in 2001 of Alzheimer's disease.

In 2004 he was honoured with a commemorative plaque at Anfield.

Final Words

“It is close between him and Kenny for the title of the best player ever to have worn a Liverpool shirt. By today's standards, I don't think there is the money to buy a Billy Liddell." – Bob Paisley

"Liddell was some player... He had everything. He was fast, powerful, shot with either foot and his headers were like blasts from a gun. On top of all that he was as hard as granite. What a player! He was so strong – and he took a nineteen-inch collar shirt!"
Bill Shankly

"Bill was so strong it was unbelievable. You couldn't shake him off the ball. It didn't matter where he was playing, though I suppose his best position was outside-left. He could go round you, or past you, or even straight through you sometimes!"
Bob Paisley

When your maker calls your name,
He will not ask if you won or lost,
But how you played the game.
and believe me when I say
"Boy, did Billy play the game"

(Wooltonian – RAWK)

Videos

Ok some great videos.

100 Players Who Shook the Kop

<a href="http://www.4shared.com/embed/15323000/2189236c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.4shared.com/embed/15323000/2189236c</a>

Honoured at the Kop

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0asqWC8Wbuw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0asqWC8Wbuw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

Tribute to Liverpool FC (1892-1959)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/N_yYR4jhN6I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/N_yYR4jhN6I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

A Tribute from RAWK Member Haggis

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/c2n1LYIA3lA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/c2n1LYIA3lA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

Acknowledgements

This post just scrapes the surface of one of our best players (if not the best).

Please pop over to the following two site for much more information:

http://www.billyliddell.com

http://www.billyliddell.org.uk

Other sites that I would like to acknowledge for inspiration are:

http://www.liverpool.is

http://memoriamea.blogspot.com/2008/01/billy-liddell-another-flying-scotsman.html

http://www.luketraynor.merseyblogs.co.uk/2008/05/billy-liddell-tribute.html

www.liverpoolfc.tv

http://www.liverweb.org.uk/liddell.htm

http://www.bobpaisley.com/Webs/bobpaisley/default.aspx?aid=2575

http://www.lfchistory.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Liddell

« Last Edit: March 3, 2010, 09:42:52 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Liverpool Legend - Billy Liddell
« Reply #1 on: March 2, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »
Nice job stockdam, a fitting tribute to the great Billy.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Mook

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 2, 2010, 10:47:28 pm »
Magic stuff, they don't make them like that anymore.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2010, 10:49:36 pm »
Ta.....Arnie at www.billyliddell.com helped me with a couple of things.

I'd be delighted if people would read his great site and also look at http://www.billyliddell.org.uk/

#JFT97

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2010, 10:53:20 pm »
Didn't Paisley say the was the best player he had ever seen at Liverpool?

Given Bob workeed for LFC in one guise or another for half a centuary or threabouts and given he signed the player that many consider the greatest, that's some statement.

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
  • www.billyliddell.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2010, 10:55:46 pm »
Brilliant mate
Every red should know abar this fella

Good job well done

I'll forward it on to the other lads in the BLMG  ;)

Nice one

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2010, 11:00:47 pm »
Thanks Haggis........your reply means a lot.

I learnt a huge amount about Billy and I was a bit daunted at doing the article as you guys are experts on Billy. Please feel free to add or comment.

I also want people to go to your site and to Arnie's site as there is a vast amount of good stuff to read. It took me maybe 6 hours or more to research this which is a drop in the ocean compared to what you guys have done.

I'm humbled.
#JFT97

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 2, 2010, 11:19:19 pm »
Great read there and something us young uns should read before we are even allowed to register on the site. Hands up I really don’t know much about the team prior to the 70s and shame on me as it’s the likes of Mr. Liddell who put their heart & soul into the club that allowed future generations to have those glorious European moments
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: March 2, 2010, 11:27:11 pm »
It took me maybe 6 hours or more to research this which is a drop in the ocean compared to what you guys have done.

It took me 3 months to find out which house he lived in  ;D,the answer was across the road (abar 30 feet away)at a little old dears house...Ina goes to church with Billy's cousin Rae....all I had to do was ask her,I never even gave it a thought,none of the local blokes seemed to know anything
Davey,who I see on a regular basis,in the pub,at the shop,walking down the road etc etc,the guy who now lives in Billy's old house, didn't even know  ;)

Haggis
Great job mate
Proud of ya

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2010, 11:31:48 pm »
Quality post again Michael well done, i'll update the main thread with this link now, again excellent mate.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #10 on: March 2, 2010, 11:37:03 pm »
Didn't Paisley say the was the best player he had ever seen at Liverpool?

Given Bob workeed for LFC in one guise or another for half a centuary or threabouts and given he signed the player that many consider the greatest, that's some statement.
Actually Paisley thought Dalglish was the best -ever Liverpool player. Billy Liddell was 1 of 3 players I wish I could have seen play. My old fella raves about him to this day! LEGEND if there ever was one.

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: March 2, 2010, 11:37:59 pm »
Just in case some members of RAWK missed the pictures of the Billy Liddell memorial Cairn and plaque
Which, is to be unveiled on or around the 22nd of May in Townhill Nr Dunfermline,Scotland

Here they are

Hope you like them

Haggis aka Scouse Tony
Member of The Billy Liddell Memorial Group  ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #12 on: March 2, 2010, 11:39:47 pm »
Billy Liddell was 1 of 3 players I wish I could have seen play.

Who are the other 2 mate?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2010, 11:41:41 pm »
Just in case some members of RAWK missed the pictures of the Billy Liddell memorial Cairn and plaque
Which, is to be unveiled on or around the 22nd of May in Townhill Nr Dunfermline,Scotland

Here they are

Hope you like them

Haggis aka Scouse Tony

Really really nice them mate.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #14 on: March 2, 2010, 11:49:02 pm »
First the Highway post now this, great work. I always taught it was ridiculous when you compare Liddel's chunkieness to the modern day light as a feather winger. Just shows you had to be hard as nails to play back then.

Offline Shankly!Shankly!

• Anny Roader
  • JUSTICE
    • Inside Forward
« Reply #15 on: March 2, 2010, 11:51:34 pm »
alsolutely beautiful. im only 23 but i've always considered billy to be LIVERPOOL. just what we stand for, just what our success is down to. thanks for the post. wish i had the pleasure of seeing him
'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

https://www.insideforward.co.uk/

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 2, 2010, 11:52:00 pm »
Quality post again Michael well done, i'll update the main thread with this link now, again excellent mate.

Thanks Sarge. What's the next assignment?

(it was Sarge who suggested that I do Billy).
#JFT97

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 2, 2010, 11:56:20 pm »

Here they are

Hope you like them

Haggis aka Scouse Tony

You are a gentleman and a true supporter.

Btw..........it's 50 years in August that Billy made his last appearance for Liverpool.

What about you and some others approaching the club to have an article in the programme for the nearest home game. It would be great if some of you could make an announcement in front of the crowd asking for some applause and a rendition of YNWA in memory of a legend. There are still lots of supporters who do not know anything about Billy.

Only an idea.

#JFT97

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #18 on: March 2, 2010, 11:56:22 pm »
Here's an old one for ya
Not a picture of Billy Liddell himself,but,a pic of the team he played for when he was discovered by Matt Busby (yeah.... THAT Sir Matt Busby)

A pic of Lochgelly Violet circa God knows when

Haggis
« Last Edit: March 3, 2010, 12:42:14 am by Haggis »

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #19 on: March 2, 2010, 11:59:42 pm »
Thanks Sarge. What's the next assignment?

(it was Sarge who suggested that I do Billy).

After a pure legend like Billy you have to follow that with another so, Salif Diao ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 3, 2010, 12:02:29 am »
Great read there and something us young uns should read before we are even allowed to register on the site. Hands up I really don’t know much about the team prior to the 70s and shame on me as it’s the likes of Mr. Liddell who put their heart & soul into the club that allowed future generations to have those glorious European moments

Well thanks for taking the time to read it. The more you read about the history then the more you will understand the enormity of the achievements. The club was struggling 50 years ago and there was no reason other than passion and hard work that Liverpool is now regarded as one of the top clubs in the world. Houllier and Rafa both knew this and that's what brought them to the club.
#JFT97

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #21 on: March 3, 2010, 12:02:36 am »
Who are the other 2 mate?
Duncan Edwards and Garrincha. Go easy on me!

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 3, 2010, 12:11:07 am »
Sorry I kinda want to reply to every post above as you've all been so kind.

#JFT97

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: March 3, 2010, 12:41:39 am »
You are a gentleman and a true supporter.

Btw..........it's 50 years in August that Billy made his last appearance for Liverpool.

What about you and some others approaching the club to have an article in the programme for the nearest home game. It would be great if some of you could make an announcement in front of the crowd asking for some applause and a rendition of YNWA in memory of a legend. There are still lots of supporters who do not know anything about Billy.

Only an idea.

I'll have a chat with the rest of the guys on the committee,I think Mike Payne has had a word with Brian Hall over this,not defo like,our next meeting is on the 8th of March,so,I will bring this matter up,it's an idea ;)
« Last Edit: March 3, 2010, 03:20:58 am by Haggis »

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #24 on: March 3, 2010, 03:06:58 am »
Nice work stockdam, would have loved to seen this legend play.

You've gotta luv some of that old commentary.

What a glorious day for a game of football, this chap passes to that chap, and oh my smoke me a kipper he's scored, jolly good show old bean.
Now lets have a comment from Martin Tyler's Monkey Senior.... blah blah ach aye banana

Offline Mook

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 3, 2010, 02:12:27 pm »
Here's an old one for ya
Not a picture of Billy Liddell himself,but,a pic of the team he played for when he was discovered by Matt Busby (yeah.... THAT Sir Matt Busby)

A pic of Lochgelly Violet circa God knows when

Haggis

Jesus wept, Lochgelly - that place is a tip now, ex-mining town stricken with unemployment & crime. Wonder if the Violet are still going...

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: March 3, 2010, 06:35:15 pm »
Jesus wept, Lochgelly - that place is a tip now, ex-mining town stricken with unemployment & crime. Wonder if the Violet are still going...
Lochgelly Violet are no more,there are 3-4 other Lochgelly teams as far as I know,Lochgelly Albert being one of them
Violet Park is still there,the pitch where they played,I do have pics of it somewhere,was eerie standing there taking photo's knowing that Billy Liddell graced the turf ;)
I'll have a look and post them up here
In fact,what I will do is find some pics of Billy's home village,his house etc and put em on here
Give you a bit of insight as to where he come from etc
Haggis
« Last Edit: March 3, 2010, 06:40:21 pm by Haggis »

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #27 on: March 3, 2010, 06:57:11 pm »
Nice job stockdam, a fitting tribute to the great Billy.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: March 3, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »
The pics are as follows
Townhill school where Billy went as a lad
Violet Park in Lochgelly where he played
The Billy Liddell sports comples sign
Billy aged 15 when he was at Dunfermline High school
Jim Liddell (Billy's nephew) and BLMG member Bill McCulloch
And finally,the house where Billy lived on Main Street Townhill
« Last Edit: March 3, 2010, 07:08:05 pm by Haggis »

Offline stockdam

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 3, 2010, 09:48:03 pm »
Love the picture of the school.

I've added another video to the original post........it's a tribute by our own Haggis.
#JFT97

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 01:50:40 am »
This is a rough draft of what is going to be on the info board in the memorial garden  :)

WILLIAM BEVERIDGE ‘ BILLY’ LIDDELL
This garden opened on 22 May 2010 is dedicated to Townhill born football legend Billy Liddell.

Billy Liddell was a Scottish international footballer who played for Liverpool F.C. in the 1940s and 1950s. Many people believe he is the greatest player ever to turn out for the club.

Born in Townhill, Billy attended Townhill Primary and then went on to Dunfermline High School. His father was a coal miner and the family lived on Main Street, Townhill.   While playing for Lochgelly Violet at the age of 15, Billy was spotted by the then Liverpool half-back Matt Busby (who later went on to manage Manchester United).   He signed up for Liverpool in 1939 and played there for the whole of his professional career.

Playing for Liverpool
With the outbreak of war in 1939 Billy’s football career was to a large extent put on hold. During the war he served as a Bomber Command pilot officer and pathfinder.  He played as a guest for Chelsea, Linfield, Cambridge Town, Toronto Scottish, Dunfermline, and for the Scottish side which beat England 5-4 in a wartime international at Hampden Park.

Upon returning to Liverpool after the war, Billy was a major influence in the Liverpool side which won the 1946/47 Football League Championship, their first since 1923.  He amassed 534 appearances for Liverpool scoring 229 times.

Playing for Scotland
Billy was awarded 29 international caps for Scotland scoring 8 goals. His debut came on May 1946 at Hampden Park; Glasgow in a 3-1 victory over Switzerland. Billy scored 2 of the goals.  He also played twice for a Great Britain XI against the Rest of Europe, alongside Stanley Matthews both appearing in 1947 and 1955.

Undoubtedly Billy would have received more caps for Scotland but for the outbreak of World War 2 in 1939.

Billy’s legacy
In retirement, Billy was appointed Justice of the Peace for Liverpool in 1958 and became bursar at the University of Liverpool. He also worked with local youth clubs.  On November 4, 2004 he was honoured by Liverpool Football Club with a commemorative plaque at Anfield.

To the young people of Townhill and Dunfermline, Billy Liddell’s career and life shows that no matter how humble your beginnings, if you have the drive, commitment and determination you can make it and become the very best in your chosen sport or career.  Billy Liddell did that.

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 09:48:41 pm »
I had the pleasure of meeting Billy's younger sister Rena yesterday,I was up near Anfield and decided to pay her a visit,got to see some very interesting photo's,also found out he lived at number 147 Main Street and not 145 like we thought   :-[

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 09:57:40 pm »
I'll put these 2 up here as well,not everyone will have been to our site
Billy Liddell in his schooldays ;D

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 12:00:35 am »
Duncan Edwards and Garrincha. Go easy on me!
As long as you meant seeing Garrincha play, and not getting frisky with a Goat!!!
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 02:01:03 am »
Who was the greatest? Billy or Kenny? They make up the top two, thats for sure and they always will as well.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 09:15:18 pm »
Good work on this. Great read.

The tribute garden has been officially opened this week according to the official site http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/fans-open-legend-tribute

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 09:37:50 pm »
The tribute garden has been officially opened this week according to the official site http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/fans-open-legend-tribute

Well, the official website's article was quite vague about the opening date. But http://www.billyliddell.org.uk/ has under Latest News "The date has been set for the unveiling of the Billy Liddell Memorial cairn. The event will take place on Saturday 22nd of May at 2.30 pm in the Billy Liddell Sports Complex, Townhill.

All fans of Billy Liddell, Liverpool FC and interested parties are invited to attend the unveiling of the cairn".

Offline scottishkop

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:53 pm »
Missed this one the first time round.  Cracking thread stockdam good work...and thanks also to Haggis for the added extras ;D

Hope you can get a good turnout at the unveiling of the cairn.

Offline Bridgy

• Don't cross him.
  • Main Stander
    • For all your needs
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 10:32:03 pm »
Without doubt our clubs best ever servant and a lovely man to boot.  Lived round the corner and whenever me an me dad bumped into him at the shops he would talk to dad about the old days for ages

good times

Offline Haggis

• worse than offal
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »
Missed this one the first time round.  Cracking thread stockdam good work...and thanks also to Haggis for the added extras ;D

Hope you can get a good turnout at the unveiling of the cairn.
I only wish I could have been there,due to an arrest warrant ( which has now been sorted BTW) and the fact my ex tart and a certain c*nt still live in Townhill,I woulda been,spent the day in Thornton watching the HJC trophy instead,bit gutted I couldn't be there AFTER ALL THE HARD WORK i PUT IN.....BUT,THE REST OF THE LADS DID THE CAUSE PROUD,CHUFFED TO FUCK