Author Topic: Liverpool Legends Series - Alan "Jockey" Hansen  (Read 11024 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Liverpool Legends Series - Alan "Jockey" Hansen
« on: February 25, 2010, 11:45:22 pm »
Alan "Jockey" Hansen.

Full name: Alan David Hansen
Date of birth: 13 June 1955
Place of birth: Sauchie, Scotland
Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)

Between 1977–1991 Alan Hansen played 620 games for Liverpool.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uXyAkpIwHhg&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uXyAkpIwHhg&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1</a>

Honours

Charity Shield: 6

1977–78*, 1979–80, 1980–81, 1982–83, 1986–87*, 1989–90

European Cup: 3

1977–78, 1980–81, 1983–84

League Championship: 8

1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90

League Cup: 4

1980–81, 1981 - 1982, 1982–83, 1983–84

FA Cup: 2

1985–86, 1988–89

Screen Sport Super Cup: 1

1985–86
* Shared

Runner Up
Liverpool FC

1977–78 League Championship (Level 1)
1978–79 European Super Cup
1981–82 Intercontinental Cup
1983–84 Charity Shield
1984–85 Charity Shield
1984–85 Intercontinental Cup
1984–85 European Super Cup
1984–85 League Championship (Level 1)
1984–85 European Cup
1986–87 League Cup
1986–87 League Championship (Level 1)
1987–88 FA Cup
1988–89 League Championship (Level 1)

Liverpool

Hansen cost Liverpool the bargain price of £110,000. He made his Reds debut on the 24 September 1977 in a league match at Anfield. Derby County were the visitors and were beaten by a single goal scored by Terry McDermott. Hansen hit his first goal the following month on the 19 October during a European Cup 2nd round 1st leg tie at Anfield. He opened the scoring in the 14th minute as Liverpool demolished East German side Dynamo Dresden 5–1.

Hansen was put into the first team sporadically throughout the season - he wasn't in the side which lost the League Cup final after a replay to Nottingham Forest in 1978 but was selected for the side which retained the European Cup with a 1–0 victory over FC Bruges at Wembley, the goal scored by Dalglish.

The following year Hansen was in the squad as Liverpool regained the League title and also fully established himself as a first choice central defender when long serving club captain Emlyn Hughes was sold to Wolves. He also made his full debut for Scotland, though his international career would prove something of a frustration for him. Jock Stein gave Hansen his Scotland debut on the 19 May 1979 in a British Home Championship match at Ninian Park, Cardiff, in which Wales were the hosts and soundly beat the Scots 3-0. Hansen's 2nd cap came the following month on the 2 June in a prestigious friendly against reigning World Champions Argentina, The South Americans proved why they were the best in the world beating the Scots by 3 goals to 1 at Hampden Park.

Liverpool's domination of club football continued in 1980 with another League title and then in 1981 they ended the season with their first League Cup after defeating West Ham United 2-1 in a replay at Villa Park. Hansen scored the winning goal in the 28th minute. They also regained the European Cup with a 1–0 victory over Real Madrid.

The league title returned to Anfield in 1982, and the team also retained the League Cup with victory over Tottenham Hotspur, although Hansen missed this triumph with injury. Hansen was selected in the Scotland squad for the summer's World Cup in Spain, which proved an enormous disappointment. The team failed to progress beyond the qualifying group due to drawing 2–2 with the USSR. An accidental collision between Hansen and central defensive partner Willie Miller allowed USSR striker Ramoz Shengelia through to score the Soviets' second goal.

In 1983, Liverpool once again took the League title and held on to the League Cup, this time defeating Manchester United in the final. The two trophies would remain at Anfield too in 1984, although Hansen was involved in a controversial incident in the League Cup final at Wembley when he appeared to handle a shot on the goal line. Despite protests from opponents and fierce Merseyside rivals Everton, no penalty was given. Liverpool won the final after a replay.

The club then completed a treble of trophies when they added yet another European Cup to the league title and League Cup. The final against AS Roma ended 1–1 and went to a penalty shoot-out, which Liverpool won.

Liverpool emerged trophy-less from the following season, and were banned from all European competition after the 1985 European Cup Final at Heysel was preceded by rioting which caused the deaths of 39 Juventus fans. Though the result of the game was immaterial, Liverpool lost it 1–0. Hansen would never play a European tie again.

Manager Joe Fagan retired after Heysel, and Hansen's friend, team-mate and fellow Scotsman Dalglish was appointed as player manager. He gave Hansen the captaincy and the season ended in triumph, as in 1986 Liverpool became only the third side in the 20th century to complete a League and FA Cup "double", following Tottenham in 1961 and Arsenal in 1971. Hansen lifted both trophies as captain and earned his first FA Cup winners' medal, thereby completing the domestic set.

Liverpool won nothing in 1987, losing the League Cup final when Arsenal defeated them 2–1, while arch-rivals Everton took the League title. But in 1988, arguably the most skilled Liverpool team of all, with Hansen as skipper, lost just twice as they coasted to the League title - Hansen's seventh - and reached the FA Cup final, where they were beaten 1–0 by Wimbledon in one of the competition's biggest shocks.

Hansen missed much of the 1989 season with a knee injury, but battled back to regain his place in the side in the latter half of an eventful campaign on the pitch and a tragic one off it. In April 1989, after the Hillsborough disaster claimed the lives of 96 Liverpool fans, Hansen was among many Liverpool stars left distraught by the tragedy, attending 12 funerals and visiting the injured in hospital. Liverpool eventually won the FA Cup against Everton in the final at Wembley, though Hansen didn't lift the trophy — this honour was given to team-mate Ronnie Whelan who had deputised capably in Hansen's absence through injury and retained the role on the basis of continuity and reward even after the club's first choice captain was fit again. Hansen did not complain. In the 1988–89 season, Liverpool lost the League title and a second "double" thanks to a crucial goal in the final seconds by Arsenal player Michael Thomas at Anfield which gave the Highbury club the title.

Hansen made more appearances the following season but his persistent knee problems continued to affect his fitness although he still captained Liverpool to another League title, which made it eight individually for Hansen, which was a record at the time. The club came close to the "double" yet again, but lost a thrilling FA Cup semi final 4–3 to Crystal Palace.

Hansen tried to continue the following season but the knee got the better of him, and he retired in March 1991 shortly after the resignation of Kenny Dalglish, Hansen was himself linked with the manager's job. In his final season at Liverpool Hansen made no appearances in 1990–91.

The best CB we have ever had, Jockey.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Re: Liverpool Legends Series - Alan "Jockey" Hansen
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:28 am »
Thanks Sarge. Yes our best defender.

He made it look so easy and effortless. He would stroll past people as if they weren't there and often turned defence into attack. The only two other defenders that I have seen who made the game look easy were Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer.

A class act and one of our greats.

#JFT97

Offline Shankly!Shankly!

• Anny Roader
  • JUSTICE
    • Inside Forward
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21:29 am »
wish i got to see him play at anfield. seen many a video of him but its obviously harder to appreciate a defender on video. never heard a bad word about the man. nice post
'At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.'

https://www.insideforward.co.uk/

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:35:54 am »
Our best ever centreback in my eyes, vaguely recall his debut. Never flustered, could also move from box to box, something most midfield players find hard to do today. Got a raw deal from Scotland after droping a clanger, should of had a lot more caps than he aquired. Being an avid sportsman represented his country in 4 sports I believe. Squah, Golf, Basketball and Football. Always thought he would go on to manage LFC one day, just shows how wrong i was. TOP, Top defender for us though, just made it all look so easy.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:46:09 am »
Always thought he would go on to manage LFC one day, just shows how wrong i was.
I was at an after dinner speech when Jockey was there, and I remember him saying that when King Kenny resigned he wound the other players up saying he'd be taking over.
Words to the effect of he told them all he'd been in touch with every bar in Merseyside and asked all the owners/managers to tell him if any Liverpool player ventured in there.
He then told them all that if he found out they had, they'd be out the door, and from now on you will all address me as boss.

To which they all replied, "yes boss, OK boss" etc..  ;D

Great player and a great man..
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:08:44 am by Terry De Niro »

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 12:53:52 am »
I was at an after dinner speech when Jockey was there, and I remember him saying that when King Kenny resigned he wound the other players up saying he'd be taking over.
Words to the effect of he told them them all he'd been in touch with every bar in Merseyside and asked all the owners/managers to tell him if any Liverpool player ventured in there.
He then told them all that if he found out they had, they'd be out the door, and from now on you will all address me as boss.

Nice one.

Offline ItchySpoons

• Kopite
  • I.R. Baboon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:22:25 am »
Words to the effect of he told them all he'd been in touch with every bar in Merseyside and asked all the owners/managers to tell him if any Liverpool player ventured in there.

;D ;D Great story that Terry! Never got to see him play, other than old clips and the like, but always hear him referred to in the highest terms. Always liked him as a man too away from the game. Great effort Sarge, love these threads about players from before my time. Disappointing they never seem to attract too many replies.
Twitter - @DeanGHayes

Offline Mr. Miyagi

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 08:48:40 am »
Before my time. Heard he was class though. Like him as an analyst as well.

A bit off topic: was Hansen a better defender than Mark Lawrenson?

Offline wiresnreds

• Kopite
  • Internet Terrorist + Proud
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 09:25:07 am »
Jockey Hansen reminds me of a cross between Hyypia and Agger, great at dominating in the air and effortless when carrying the ball out of defence. Lawrenson was a quicker player if i remember rightly but not as classy but nevertheless a very good defender. Hansen was always overlooked for the Aberdeen pairing of Willie Miller and Alex Mcleish at the heart of the defence for Scotland (again i think this is right, please correct if i am wrong).
IIRC - If I Remember Correctly :( (Which i can never remember )

Offline wiresnreds

• Kopite
  • Internet Terrorist + Proud
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 09:30:45 am »
Make sure you watch the Youtube video at the top, King kenny at the end made me piss myself laughing. Excellent post that, well done...
IIRC - If I Remember Correctly :( (Which i can never remember )

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 09:48:42 am »
Over the long-term, yes. For a couple of seasons though Lawrenson was the best in the world.

The important thing was that they were both comfortable and destructive with the ball. Teams that sat back against Liverpool had to deal with two centre backs who could move quickly with the ball, advance beyond the half-way line and pick out their own midfielders in advanced positions. You can't defend against a team that keeps doing that.

Good stuff Sarge.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Stanfo

• Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 10:04:20 am »
My favourite Liverpool player, total class in every way. Where Lawrenson had to make the spectacular last minute sliding tackle, Hansen's reading of the game made it appear he was not as good, he was. Sadly he made a few high profile mistakes, especially for Scotland and I believe that effected his standing when compared at a world level.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 02:04:35 pm »
Before my time. Heard he was class though. Like him as an analyst as well.

Both were very good players. Lawrenson had that air of gracefulness also and was a good tackler.

I think Hansen shaded it for me. As a pairing they were as good as any.
#JFT97

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »
Fantastic player cool calm and composed.

He signed a book for me think it was his auto biog (wish i could find it)

And that bit at the end of the clip with Kenny saying he was crap is priceless

LEGEND
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 02:57:00 pm »
Yes people have to see the youtube clip especially the Kenny bit at the end ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »
He was a bit crap to be honest, over rated really as his medal collection testifies to that.

The man lorded over the ball when he brought it out of defense and in terms of reading the game he was one of the best ever.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 11:07:43 am »
Make sure you watch the Youtube video at the top, King kenny at the end made me piss myself laughing. Excellent post that, well done...

brilliant
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers