Author Topic: Anxiety - anyone else suffer from it?  (Read 17433 times)

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
Anxiety - anyone else suffer from it?
« on: January 23, 2010, 11:24:29 am »
I've always been 'a worrier' but for the past few years I've found that I'm constantly in a state of panic over stupid things. Small things seem massive. I wake up at 5am with butterflies and nerves worrying about stupid things such as letters, bills, things that are out of my control.

Last week, I got into work an hour early because I was told that a report needed to be prepared by midday. My 'worry' was that I did not know where the file was and it kept me awake all night.

I panic about nothing. I have persistent thoughts. I cannot switch off. People keep telling me 'It's not worth worrying about stupid things' yet I still do.

Does anyone else suffer badly with worry/stress/anxiety?

Are there any decent methods of coping with them?
Blank.

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
Re: Anxiety - anyone else suffer from it?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 11:39:50 am »
you should hook up with dr cornwallis... ;)
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:40:18 am »

Are there any decent methods of coping with them?

Healthy eating, Meditation , Yoga, Massage .

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:44:22 am »

Have been healthy eating but the meditation is something I find to be a problem. My thoughts can be invasive. Every time I try to sit down and do something like meditating my mind just starts wandering and I feel panicky again.
Blank.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:50:11 am »
you should hook up with dr cornwallis... ;)

you really shouldn't

I worry about irrational things, like heart attacks, strokes, going mental...I don't worry about work, I couldn't give less of a fuck about work.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:54:59 am »

Have been healthy eating but the meditation is something I find to be a problem. My thoughts can be invasive. Every time I try to sit down and do something like meditating my mind just starts wandering and I feel panicky again.

You find meditation a problem. Jeez there's nothing down for you.   ;)

All thoughts are invasive and the mind is designed to wander. Try not to attach yourself to the thoughts.

Mine goes like this....   peaceful mind, a random thought pops up , something like paying a bill , that leads to where Iam going to get the money from, to what i s money anyhow, why do people work ? What is the philosophical meaning of work. Was Descartes right? He sounds like a Chelsea player from a few years ago. Shit 6 years ago. Fuck I'll be 45 soon.........  Ah fuck this Iam putting the kettle on.

It's natural. Don't worry. Just focus on you breath.  In the words of a monk I met in Thailand. Trying to control the mind is like trying to tame a wild horse. He's right.

You may belong in here.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=219921.0

You Liverpool based? 

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:56:01 am »
I worry about irrational things, like heart attacks, strokes, going mental...I don't worry about work, I couldn't give less of a fuck about work.

My mind knows this to be the case but it still reacts.

I went to see a counsellor once and she told me that I was worrying about the irrational things like letters, like work-related things because the real things that I am stressing about have been shoved in a box in the back of my head. She gave me all kinds of ridiculous advice that never worked and I still worry about the letters, the work-related things. If someone said to me "You will wake up tomorrow with cancer" I would shrug my shoulders. If someone told me "Tomorrow, you will get to work and someone will realise that you forgot to do x or x" I would be awake all night in a state of panic.

It's irrational. And it's beginning to do my head in.
Blank.

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 11:57:05 am »
You Liverpool based? 

I am. And I know there's nothing down for me. My mind is a very strong thing and the worry seems to overpower it.
Blank.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 11:58:06 am »

'a worrier'

Another thing.

There is nothing to worry about. Trust me and believe me.

Another thing.  I've never met anyone that says this book hasn't helped smooth things out for them.

http://www.just-pooh.com/tao.html

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Pooh-Benjamin-Hoff/dp/0140067477

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 11:59:16 am »

I went to see a counsellor once and she told me that I was worrying about the irrational things like letters,

You dyslexic?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »
You dyslexic?

Letters, as in letters that get sent through the post.
Blank.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:11:28 pm »

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 12:12:30 pm »
Yes I'm a born worrier and suffer anxiety sometimes. 
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 12:19:29 pm »
I'm a born worrier too. I find that a lack of sleep makes the problem a lot worse and it's easy to get into a vicious circle, problem causes lack of sleep, lack of sleep makes problem worse and so on. I find that if I can sleep well for a full 8 or 9 hours that the things I tend to be anxious about somehow seem less important than they were before.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 12:22:50 pm »

I'm a born worrier too. I find that a lack of sleep makes the problem a lot worse and it's easy to get into a vicious circle, problem causes lack of sleep, lack of sleep makes problem worse and so on. I find that if I can sleep well for a full 8 or 9 hours that the things I tend to be anxious about somehow seem less important than they were before.

Yes I'm a born worrier and suffer anxiety sometimes. 

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 12:24:22 pm »

I can't massage myself :D
Have started with the healthy eating.
Have started the yoga on the wii
Meditation- wouldn't know where to start with that.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 12:27:16 pm »

Have started with the healthy eating.
Have started the yoga on the wii
Meditation- wouldn't know where to start with that.

1). Smart arse.
2). Good. ( veggie I hope )
3). It's a start.
4). So.     ;)

Your a Welshie girl get outside and climb a hill or something.  :wave

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 12:28:00 pm »
Iam off now folks. Have a good day my little stress heads.      :wave

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 12:34:14 pm »

Me neither  ;)  I could help you out but being of the spirit world my touch is kind of icy  ;D
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 01:20:26 pm »
Kesey, does eating healthy mean not eating meat?
Gayyyyyyy

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 01:26:02 pm »

Know what you mean. I lie awake for hours. Then when I finally do drop off I wake up at  4 or 5 still worrying. Yesterday, I got to my office after being out at court (without having eaten all day because I was so rushed off my feet, I might add, which again can't help) and was so panicked about something ridiculous that I could not remember the code on the door. I have pressed the very same code every single weekday for three years and yet I could not remember it.

Things often do seem better in the morning. That is very true. I just can't stop going back to the issues in my head. And every single time it's like little bolts of lightning.

I just wish 'meditation' wasn't the only answer. I've tried it and simply can't do it.
Blank.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »
Know what you mean. I lie awake for hours. Then when I finally do drop off I wake up at  4 or 5 still worrying. Yesterday, I got to my office after being out at court (without having eaten all day because I was so rushed off my feet, I might add, which again can't help) and was so panicked about something ridiculous that I could not remember the code on the door. I have pressed the very same code every single weekday for three years and yet I could not remember it.

Things often do seem better in the morning. That is very true. I just can't stop going back to the issues in my head. And every single time it's like little bolts of lightning.

I just wish 'meditation' wasn't the only answer. I've tried it and simply can't do it.

The answer you seek is distraction.  The worries are only worries while you think of them.  Fill your head with something else and you won't worry as often.

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 01:36:08 pm »
I don't think I am, or maybe I am.... I'm not sure really, fuck..... Should I be worried about something, I don't know.....now I'm getting stressed about not worrying about anything. I'm actually worried about not being worried, what the fuck does that make me?' . I wished you hadn't started this fuckin thread, I was alright until then. Fuck it, a Bushmills will sort me out, anxiety my arse, man up! 
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 01:37:19 pm »
sometimes i get anxious on the tube when its hot, and get hotter. damn it
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 01:53:15 pm »
I've always been a worrier but I tend to get more anxious about daft things. I'll give you a perfect example.

Before Christmas I took my lad to a book signing by Pepe and Insua at the LFC shop in Liverpool One. There was a big queue and as we were lining up I noticed that everyone else had stuff to sign already, footballs, pennants, photo's etc. I had nothing assuming you had to buy the book they were supposed to be signing.
  Well, that set me off and I started worrying that they would turn me back at the door because I had nothing to sign, that they would say the tills were shut and I couldn't purchase anything. Worked myself up into a state about something stupid. Needless to say I was able to buy something and get it signed no problem.
  It's just stuff like that. If I'm queueing somewhere I get anxious that someone is going to try and jump the queue when it gets to my turn or if I'm at the bar I worry that the bloke next to me is going to try and get served before me even though I'm next. I get worked up about it and can feel anger rising about something that may not even happen.
 Just doing everyday things I can usually think of some mad scenario and get anxious about it.

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 05:12:07 pm »
I don't think I am, or maybe I am.... I'm not sure really, fuck..... Should I be worried about something, I don't know.....now I'm getting stressed about not worrying about anything. I'm actually worried about not being worried, what the fuck does that make me?' . I wished you hadn't started this fuckin thread, I was alright until then. Fuck it, a Bushmills will sort me out, anxiety my arse, man up!

I'd laugh at his usually, only the fact that it's actually affecting me quite badly at the minute makes me lose my sense of humour a bit. If it makes you feel any better I wish I didn't feel shite enough to resort to making this thread either but hey ho.

Jaffod, that's pretty much how I feel. And people say "Stop worrying, deal with it" but if it were that easy then I'd do it. If I could suddenly stop worrying I would. I guess it's just in my nature. Apparently it's something you have to embrace. The self help books tell you to embrace the panic like an old friend, someone told me, which is ridiculous.

Maybe I will just overdose on Kalms.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:27:17 pm by Daranoza »
Blank.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »
Kesey, does eating healthy mean not eating meat?
Gayyyyyyy

Not really it's just my personal opinion.

But overall I'd say veggies/vegans have a better diet than most meat eaters.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Franck Le Poof

• Blonde transvestite who is utterly haunted by the idea of sitting in other mens piss. Has ticked the box for no publicity ;)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 06:30:33 pm »
Awful thing to have. Feel better Daranoza :wave
Whenever I meet a French girl I kiss her on both cheeks. Then I stand up and say hello

Offline liverbird_soph

• Fitter than Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2010, 06:59:15 pm »
Daranoza - I'm in a manic rush at the moment, but I'll PM you as soon as I get a moment. I've had quite a lot of experience with anxiety.

Biggest thing I'd say quickly is to cut out caffeine and alcohol for a while, take vitamin B6 and try to exercise as much as possible. Join a gym, go to a class, power walk (quickly and with an ipod so you don't just end up thinking about your worries). Exercise can be as good as prescriptive anti-anxiety medications, as it releases endorphines that improve your mood. You could also try to repace Kalms with Rescue Remedy. I found Kalms did nothing for me whatsoever.

A lot of people don't understand anxiety, so try not to pay too much attention to people who just say "don't worry". Anxiety is actually a physical symptom of something not being quite right emotionally (or even hormonally in some cases) and so don't think you're being crazy or over the top. Worrying about worrying leads to all sorts of problems!! :) :) I don't know if I'd go as far as embracing your anxiety as a friend, but try to accept that it's there and it's shit, but it's just something that you're going to have to try to work through. Try to accept that things aren't quite right at the moment for you, that it is a common thing and it will get better. Yoga and meditation are great, but they aren't the only things around to help you.

Will PM you as soon as I can and my inbox is always open if you need anything :)  :wave
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:01:17 pm by liverbird_soph »
Above all else comes truth & justice.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2010, 07:02:33 pm »
Daranoza - I'm in a manic rush at the moment, but I'll PM you as soon as I get a moment. I've had quite a lot of experience with anxiety.

Biggest thing I'd say quickly is to cut out caffeine and alcohol for a while, take vitamin B6 and try to exercise as much as possible. Join a gym, go to a class, power walk (quickly and with an ipod so you don't just end up thinking about your worries). Exercise can be as good as prescriptive anti-anxiety medications, as it releases endorphines that improve your mood. You could also try to repace Kalms with Rescue Remedy. I found Kalms did nothing for me whatsoever.

A lot of people don't understand anxiety, so try not to pay too much attention to people who just say "don't worry". Anxiety is actually a physical symptom of something not being quite right emotionally (or even hormonally in some cases) and so don't think you're being crazy or over the top. Worrying about worrying leads to all sorts of problems!! :) :) I don't know if I'd go as far as embracing your anxiety as a friend, but try to accept that it's there and it's shit, but it's just something that you're going to have to try to work through. Try to accept that things aren't quite right at the moment for you, that it is a common thing and it will get better. Yoga and meditation are great, but they aren't the only things around to help you.

Will PM you as soon as I can and my inbox is always open if you need anything :)  :wave

For someone who's in a rush that was sound advice.

But I thought people wore ipods when they power walked so they couldn't hear the abuse people were giving them.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline liverbird_soph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »
sometimes i get anxious on the tube when its hot, and get hotter. damn it

Try focussing on one spot. A mark on the window or a certain station on the tube map. Stare at it and focus all of your concentration upon it. Try to breathe deeply as you look at the spot and keep reminding yourself that there is not much distance between the stops. If you really need to, you can get off at the next one and go and get some air before the rest of your journey. Also tell yourself that every moment is a moment closer to you reaching your destination. If you tell yourself that enough and concentrate your mind then you should - in theory - feel more in control of the situation and therefore the anxiety should drop a bit. Then if you feel you can stop the anxiety, it shouldn't come on as much in the first place.

Apparently if you try to time your anxiety it miraculously stops it. Never tried it so that may be a load of bollocks! :)

Offline liverbird_soph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2010, 07:09:38 pm »
For someone who's in a rush that was sound advice.

But I thought people wore ipods when they power walked so they couldn't hear the abuse people were giving them.

I talk too much!! Probably why I'm always late everywhere!!! :) :)

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2010, 07:13:37 pm »
I think it's fair to say that anxiety has had a major part in my life.

At Uni I used to avoid going to lectures becasue I was anxious/nervous about the other people in the class. Our cecture hasll you had to walk in at the front and across the room to go and find a seat. I'd always arrive and then not go in becasue I was worried everyone would stare and I wouldn't be able to find any mates to sit with.

Then when preparing for exams I wouldn't be able to sleep properly or revise because my head would be full of thoughts about money stress, girlfriend troubles and other things. I ended up with a 2:2 and was thinking of going to my mentor to ask for special discompensation due to my anxiety but I couldn't work up the courage.

I've now been diagnosed with IBS that is a stress related illness. Whenver I drink I feel truly awfult the next day and frequently have anxiety attacks.

Last year I was on the way to th pub with a mate to watch the Newcastle v Villa game. As I sat down in the pub I became all anxious and had to leave and go home. I was almost going to go to the police station and ask them for help as I couldn't control myself.

I've been travelling to Asia twice. Both times have been ruined by me not being able to stop worrying about getting mugged, not having somewhere to sleep, the food being inedible, general safety, etc.

Like other people say, I find eating healthily and lots of exercise are the best remedies. Also making sure your life is full so you don't spend too much time on your own worrying about things.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:15:18 pm by Captain-Carra »
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline kickinkaz

• Kopite
  • Do one thing every day that scares you
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 07:14:00 pm »
Daranoza have a look into Emotional Freedom Technique, it helped my friend a great deal with her travelling by plane. Emotional freedom technique can help with all types of anxieties and so much more.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 07:14:21 pm »

I talk too much!! Probably why I'm always late everywhere!!! :) :)

Women and talk too much. Never. 

Best be on your your way Soph. Now be gone with you.   Have a good night.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 07:17:34 pm »

Also making sure your life is full so you don't spend too much time on your own worrying about things.

But one day you'll have to be alone. You can't hide form your own shadow forever. I understand what your saying but best to gradually face up to your SELF and be alone.

PS - For the record we are never ever alone. Hope that make sense.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 07:21:01 pm »
i dont suffer from anxiety although i do worry that one day i may do :P

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 07:21:11 pm »

Anxiety has been a result in me not being able to pass my driving test. Yet on a lesson I drive perfectly. I just have no clue what goes on in my head when going for a test. I can't sleep for nights before. On the day I'm fretting like a headless chicken.

Horrible feeling it really is.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »
Thanks, Soph. That was 'sound' advice, in a sense. It's hard knowing what to do because I just feel totally powerless. You can't escape your own mind. Yesterday I actually managed to stop worrying about what I was worried about. The only reason FOR this was that I was worrying about something else. I'm finding that my mind is going blank more and more. It's like I am a crazy person. I stand there and I try to remember something that I know by heart. It doesn't come. I try and I try and it goes even worse. I forget my pin number. I forget my phone number. E-mail address.

I tried Tesco 'Stress Relief' tablets. Kalms. This other one called Wellbeing or something like that. None of those things worked.

I guess I just don't want this to be part of my life. It's hard to accept. I get what you mean about people who don't understand (or the people who think it's funny to make jokes about it) Sometimes I feel that I need to talk but the important people in my life just look at me as if I'm an idiot when I bring up my concerns.

At least I don't feel quite so alone, now, if that makes sense. I just wish that I could get rid of the persistent thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:29:41 pm by Daranoza »
Blank.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
Anxiety has been a result in me not being able to pass my driving test. Yet on a lesson I drive perfectly. I just have no clue what goes on in my head when going for a test. I can't sleep for nights before. On the day I'm fretting like a headless chicken.

Horrible feeling it really is.

Didn't think you needed a license for a tractor .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi