Author Topic: Derby Atmosphere  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Jamie_H

• Anny Roader
  • Champions of Europe 2005
Derby Atmosphere
« on: February 1, 2004, 04:53:00 pm »
Dunno about yous, but for me it wasnt a patch on the atmosphere against the Geordies a week before.

Role on more 5.30pm kick offs.

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
Re: Derby Atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2004, 04:53:47 pm »
No it wasn't but it was better than it has been for many a 3:00pm kick off.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Offline Jamie_H

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: February 1, 2004, 04:58:16 pm »
Yeah but come on this is our DERBY not Liverpool v Southampton. You would expect it to be one of the better atmosphere's of the season in the league - should be No1 or No2 best atmposphere every season no matter what time it is played.

I guess what I am saying is that come a league game, everyone reverting back in their usual seats are surrounded by the usual people that dont get behind the team, unlike a cup game where you have different people sitting next to you who want to sing.

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 1, 2004, 05:00:51 pm »
We were ok, good at times an poor at others. But if we are talkin about the whole atmosphere, I thought they were fuckin awful, hardly heard them all game.
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #4 on: February 1, 2004, 05:04:15 pm »
Yeah but come on this is our DERBY not Liverpool v Southampton. You would expect it to be one of the better atmosphere's of the season in the league - should be No1 or No2 best atmposphere every season no matter what time it is played.

I guess what I am saying is that come a league game, everyone reverting back in their usual seats are surrounded by the usual people that dont get behind the team, unlike a cup game where you have different people sitting next to you who want to sing.

Exactly.

This is the way it's gonna be until we have a dedicated singing section.

We'll both get £20

Offline Stevo

• Not unique in his worship of Erik Meijer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2004, 05:06:26 pm »
Was very surprised with the mongrels at the other end. Never heard them once. Expected far more bitterness from them.

Atmosphere wasn't great, but better than most games this season. Maybe if we'd scored it might have picked up, but agree that with it being the derby there shouldn't need to be any other incentive for there being a good atmosphere.

Don't want to start an OOT debate but maybe a game in the cup means more to the majority of supporters than a game against Everton. I can't really see how people who aren't from Liverpool can feel the same about Everton as 'locals'. Just a reflection of our supporters today really. If I lived in London or wherever I don't think I'd be that much more arsed about a game against Everton or Southampton, say. Seems like a lot of supporters class United as our biggets rivals now.

Offline Jamie_H

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2004, 05:06:44 pm »
Agreed Timmy lad, its the only optomistic thought I have about moving to the new ground that I have. 

We HAVE to have designated singing areas in the new Kop.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2004, 05:08:41 pm »
Seems like a lot of supporters class United as our biggets rivals now.

OOT people may do but the locals don't as you know  :)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Jamie_H

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2004, 05:09:44 pm »
I know what yer mean Stevo, however I think that any OOT STH will know what it means to be playing Everton so I dont go along with that 100%.

I dont know what annoyed me more, the fact we didnt convert one of our chances to a goal yesterday or the fact that one in a week we can have the best atmosphre for  years and then the week after have a much poorer atmosphere against our main rivals ???

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2004, 05:10:54 pm »
i think an early goal would have helped the atmosphere. I guess we were all waiting for something to happen - a goal, a sending off, a penalty decision to be given to give us something to sing/shout about.

And yet again we were all waiting for someone else to do something to create a better atmosphere instead of doing something about it ourselves. 

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2004, 05:14:09 pm »
Was very surprised with the mongrels at the other end. Never heard them once. Expected far more bitterness from them.

Atmosphere wasn't great, but better than most games this season. Maybe if we'd scored it might have picked up, but agree that with it being the derby there shouldn't need to be any other incentive for there being a good atmosphere.

Don't want to start an OOT debate but maybe a game in the cup means more to the majority of supporters than a game against Everton. I can't really see how people who aren't from Liverpool can feel the same about Everton as 'locals'. Just a reflection of our supporters today really. If I lived in London or wherever I don't think I'd be that much more arsed about a game against Everton or Southampton, say. Seems like a lot of supporters class United as our biggets rivals now.

Alot of the Derby atmosphere comes from the interaction of the fans in the days before the game itself. You and your mates having a go at each other etc and the build up in the local papers. This is simply not the case if you don't live in the city.

We'll both get £20

hoonin

« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2004, 05:14:15 pm »
Don't want to start an OOT debate but maybe a game in the cup means more to the majority of supporters than a game against Everton. I can't really see how people who aren't from Liverpool can feel the same about Everton as 'locals'.

:wanker

Actually, being serious here I agree with you. Its only natural. Those who travel a distance will sample/contribute to the atmosphere on the day. For those in the city of Liverpool its something thats always there and intensifies the nearer the game gets.

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 1, 2004, 05:14:57 pm »
I know what yer mean Stevo, however I think that any OOT STH will know what it means to be playing Everton so I dont go along with that 100%.

You'd think so yea, but maybe for some they see the game against United as the big one as in terms league position they are bigger rivals. Unless someone living out of town knows loads of Blues would it bother them as much?  ???

OOTs: Am I right or just looking for excuses for another poor atmosphere?

hoonin

« Reply #13 on: February 1, 2004, 05:15:30 pm »
I agree Timmy ;D

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 1, 2004, 05:16:08 pm »

Actually, being serious here I agree with you. Its only natural.

Thats what I mean, not having a dig at anyone, it's probably just the way it is.

hoonin

« Reply #15 on: February 1, 2004, 05:16:58 pm »
I know Stevo, was just joking with the wanker bit ;D

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #16 on: February 1, 2004, 05:17:08 pm »
For those in the city of Liverpool its something thats always there and intensifies the nearer the game gets.

2 Fights in our house this week  :D the pressure builds....
RAWK anti scouse?

Offline Jamie_H

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: February 1, 2004, 05:17:11 pm »
Yesterday I sang and shouted more than any game this season for my hatred of the boys in blue. Admitadly I was worse the wear for drink, yet one person alone cannot create a better atmopshre ;D

I'm sorry but it is all down to the fact there is not a singing section in the Kop. The Kop should be one big singing section like it used to be but unfortunately now it is full of people that are content just sitting there not getting behind the team. Anyone caught not singing in the Kop should be "Tayzered" into action ;D

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #18 on: February 1, 2004, 05:19:11 pm »
if u "locals" wanna make the derby yer cup final so be it....your loss... it's three points and bragging rights- the real cup finals are for shiny trophies unsually in may.  Course the ideal situation is beating ya local rivals in real cup finals like 86 and 89  ;D now that really is something to brag about.

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #19 on: February 1, 2004, 05:21:46 pm »
if u "locals" wanna make the derby yer cup final so be it....your loss... it's three points and bragging rights- the real cup finals are for shiny trophies unsually in may.  Course the ideal situation is beating ya local rivals in real cup finals like 86 and 89  ;D now that really is something to brag about.

You want to beat them every single time you play them end off.
RAWK anti scouse?

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 1, 2004, 05:22:47 pm »
You want to beat them every single time you play them end off.

Nah, ya wanna fuckin twat the c*nts every time ya play them  ;)

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #21 on: February 1, 2004, 05:25:35 pm »
as a liverpool supporter i want us to beat EVERY fucking team end of

Offline Ian-TN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 1, 2004, 05:26:47 pm »
But some feel so much sweeter at full time than others.

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #23 on: February 1, 2004, 05:28:08 pm »
Our city has two teams and we have a strong rivalry, I like it that way.

Some games are bigger than others and you know that as well as I do but for some losing a derby wouldn’t have the same affect on them as it would losing to man u but as a local I know that one well out weighs the other and there is nothing wrong with that.

Rivalry is as big a part of the game as anything else.
RAWK anti scouse?

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #24 on: February 1, 2004, 05:28:44 pm »

No one said it's a Cup Final did they but it does feel like that when you win. I don't care where our fans are from on the most part but the fact that you posted the above only serves to confirm that some people who aren't from Liverpool don't fully appreciate the significance of the game on a local level.

We'll both get £20

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #25 on: February 1, 2004, 05:31:36 pm »
Stevo - have to agree with what you're saying - especially from a personal point of view.

i knew the rivalry and never really liked them but i always had more dislike for the mancs

yesterday changed all that.  came into close contact and now know why those bitter blue bastards should top the 'not most liked' list

'losing temper' thread says it all...
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

hoonin

« Reply #26 on: February 1, 2004, 05:32:06 pm »
if u "locals" wanna make the derby yer cup final so be it....your loss... it's three points and bragging rights- the real cup finals are for shiny trophies unsually in may.

You may not have intended it to, but that smacks of condescending arrogance.

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #27 on: February 1, 2004, 05:33:23 pm »
You may not have intended it to, but that smacks of condescending arrogance.

Proves the point in my opinion  :)
RAWK anti scouse?

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #28 on: February 1, 2004, 05:33:31 pm »
'not most liked' list

I prefer 'hated list'

We'll both get £20

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #29 on: February 1, 2004, 05:34:33 pm »
Timmy i was born and bred in liverpool. I have a split family of reds and blues.

Everton have made us their cup final - even worse - our draws and defeats or failings in any way shape or form have become their victories. I dont want us to go down that road. I hope you can fathom this point. Cause i feel their is a danger of this.

We are liverpool fc - our fight is for cup finals, league titles etc etc.

As steve mcmahon said - i'd take losing every derby game if i could have a shiny championship winners medal at the end of the season.

me personally i'm greedy i want us to win derbies and have shinny championship winners medals at the end of the season.

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #30 on: February 1, 2004, 05:36:24 pm »
now now Timmy - so need to be so harsh on the bastards

;)
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 1, 2004, 05:36:45 pm »
I'm an OOT and have always considered the Everton game to be massive. As a kid (living in Dublin), I learned about LFC's history and understood the importance of the derby. Supporting Liverpool is to know everything about the club and become part of it. It includes taking on a love for the city and its people and taking time to understand the rivalries that exist.
Match going reds should fully understand and appreciate the rivalry so I can only attribute yesterday's average atmosphere to the same things as always - lazy, moaning, set in their ways supporters who have lost the urge to sing. The whole situation needs mixing up and I hope that when the new stadium is built, the problem is solved although I fear a hike in ticket prices and therefore less young, vocal support.

Can you imagine if all those people that make an effort to sing were seated together rather than dotted about the place? It would make a huge difference.

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 1, 2004, 05:37:39 pm »
I know Stevo, was just joking with the wanker bit ;D

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #33 on: February 1, 2004, 05:37:56 pm »
the thread is about atmophere of the derby and yet again its blame the out of towners. Who do not understand the derby atmosphere. That too smacks of condesending bollox to every out of towner out there be they red or blue.

The rise of the internet has made the world a very small place. People from friggen south east asia have some knowledge of the derby and what it means to the local people.

hoonin

« Reply #34 on: February 1, 2004, 05:38:25 pm »

Offline Spartacus.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #35 on: February 1, 2004, 05:38:42 pm »
But who has turned this into a cup final?  You are the only one making that out....and in a very patronising way.

Wanting to win it and having it up on your list of a big must win game does not mean I think it’s a fuckin cup final.
RAWK anti scouse?

hoonin

« Reply #36 on: February 1, 2004, 05:40:12 pm »
the thread is about atmophere of the derby and yet again its blame the out of towners.

Well, we managed nearly two pages without anyone else coming to that conclussion (including an OOT glory hunter like me ;))

Offline Stevo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 1, 2004, 05:43:14 pm »
Kinki, no-one is blaming out of towners.

Not one group of supporters can be blamed, we're all in it together. Question was whether the derby means more to people living in Liverpool than those that don't. Judging from this thread it does, and thats understandable.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #38 on: February 1, 2004, 05:43:32 pm »
did i say liverpool fans have made it into their cup final christine? I said there is a danger that we could stoop to their level for they have without doubt made it their cup final. Our ambitions should first and foremost be for the real trophies.

It's a derby, 3 points and bragging rights for a couple days/weeks/ years if your an everton fan. Nothing more.

Offline Walton_Gary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 1, 2004, 05:43:46 pm »
if u "locals" wanna make the derby yer cup final so be it....your loss... it's three points and bragging rights-

What a pile of shite