Author Topic: Your memories of the 84 Treble?  (Read 4807 times)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Your memories of the 84 Treble?
« on: June 5, 2009, 09:09:12 am »
To commemorate the 25th anniversary of our all-conquering 1983-84 campaign, Liverpoolfc.tv has been publishing a series of commemorative articles for Treble week’.

Over the course of the last few days we've been celebrating the heroic achievements of Joe Fagan's treble winners; from a narrow Milk Cup success over neighbours Everton right through to title number 15 and that unforgettable shoot-out win against AS Roma in their own backyard.

We looked at all the matches in that trophy-laden campaign courtesy of Alan Kennedy's exclusive diary, spoke  to some of the other heroes of '84 as well as some of the game's most distinguished journalists.

We're now asking for your thoughts on that sensational season and will be publishing the very best of your comments - so get posting!

--

Any memories you'd like to share of the 84 season, the team, the games and the fans?

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

royhendo

Re: Your memories of the 84 Treble?
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2009, 11:03:02 am »
Okie doke - I'll kick it off.

I saw my first ever games at Anfield in that season, and to this day they remain two of the best experiences of my life.

The first was the 5-0 v West Ham, and the second was the home leg of the EC semi against Dynamo Bucharest, with Sammy notching the winner.

Makes me smile thinking about it.

:)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2009, 11:09:11 am »
'84 was my first European Cup final and I barely missed a league game home or away, so I have fond memories.

My biggest memory of the season is Rush. I remember a spell before Christmas where he just couldn't stop scoring. He scored 5 goals at home against Luton, 4 against Coventry at the arse end of the season and 3 at Villa Park. I seem to remember him scoring a few in the game against West Ham that Roy mentions above, although I think we won that game 6-0, not 5.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2009, 11:27:48 am »
Went to most of the homes that season as a young teenager. Also remember getting a boot up the arse of me Mah as I got collared robbing money from her purse for a Liverpool scarf. Remember the Milk Cup Final well at Wembley and was in the Everton end. Watching the Rome game on telly.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2009, 12:20:06 pm »
We always used to go to the "friendly derby" in a mixed group of Reds and Blues, meeting in town at 11.00am and finishing in town sometime late.
Must've been late 1982 that one of the Blues said he was marrying one of the Reds - in March 1984.

We had a mild panic as we knew there was always a derby game every March - and we didn't want it to be ruined by a wedding!
As soon as the 83/4 fixture list came out we all scoured the March games.
Fortunately, derby day was OK and their wedding only coincided with the League Cup Final.

For the first time ever, both teams got to that Wembley final.
But for the first time ever it was televised live - and moved to the Sunday!
So we all went to the wedding on the Saturday, got up early on Sunday and headed down to Wembley together...

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2009, 12:28:22 pm »
We always used to go to the "friendly derby" in a mixed group of Reds and Blues, meeting in town at 11.00am and finishing in town sometime late.
Must've been late 1982 that one of the Blues said he was marrying one of the Reds - in March 1984.

We had a mild panic as we knew there was always a derby game every March - and we didn't want it to be ruined by a wedding!
As soon as the 83/4 fixture list came out we all scoured the March games.
Fortunately, derby day was OK and their wedding only coincided with the League Cup Final.

For the first time ever, both teams got to that Wembley final.
But for the first time ever it was televised live - and moved to the Sunday!
So we all went to the wedding on the Saturday, got up early on Sunday and headed down to Wembley together...
Great stuff. Better days, eh mate. Oh well, what can you do.

Funny thing was, I remember at the end of that season being choka that we'd got knocked out of the FA Cup by Brighton. That's how good we was back then.... I was pissed off that we hadn't won the lot. Spolit bastards, that we were.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2009, 12:59:11 pm »
I'd like to ask Bruce Grobelaar ...

In the penalty shootout, Nicol missed then Di Bartolomei scored with their first penalty. It was all a bit gloomy at that point.

Anyway, with the ball at his feet Brucie kicked the ball against the post and it went straight back off the post at right angles back down the pitch. Did Brucie do that deliberately? I hope so, it was classy. Anyone got an opinion?

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »
Good work with the links. I've really enjoyed some of the Treble week coverage. The journos have worked really hard but it's been a labour of love.

The fans response article is now up, sadly some of the later posts above were too late to be considered, maybe next time?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164653090605-1151.htm

Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Callaghan.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2009, 03:11:44 pm »
I'd like to ask Bruce Grobelaar ...

In the penalty shootout, Nicol missed then Di Bartolomei scored with their first penalty. It was all a bit gloomy at that point.

Anyway, with the ball at his feet Brucie kicked the ball against the post and it went straight back off the post at right angles back down the pitch. Did Brucie do that deliberately? I hope so, it was classy. Anyone got an opinion?

I'd also like to ask Ian Rush if he sent the keeper the wrong way with his penalty or if he was lucky. Because if the keeper had gone the right way, he would have saved it.

It's funny that all 3 misses went over the top. I think it's adrenaline. You hear about people having superhuman strength when they need it to save someone's life (lifting lorries off them of something), I think that's what happened on that day. The ball just pinged off the foot too sweetly with the extra adrenaline.

I was watching it on telly and I had a big rosette from 1977 that said "European Champions, League Champions" on it. I blue-tacked it to the wall next to the TV during the game. But when Nicol missed I took it off the wall and thought "that's it". Thank god for Brucie and the four lads who scored.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »
I remember 84 really well. Was on the dole for most of it

Milk cup final versus Everton at wembley, pissed down all day, terrible game 0-0 , Hansen's handball on the line , 100,000 scousers, in London taking the piss.

Replay at Maine rd,  three and a half nicker for a ticket, the worst spec ever in the kippax, game won by a wonder goal by the permed muzzy one.

Won the league at a canter again, scored some serious goals mostly by the Rushman, clinching the title away at Notts County, laughing at the fatties trying to scale the fence for the pitch invasion at the end, bunking the special home to catch the free Echo And The Bunnymen gig at St George's Hall steps.

European cup final in Rome, ambushes and stabbings galore, went into the lions den and came away with the spoils, also a fine 4-1 away win at the proper Stadium of Light in Portugal.

If someone can explain to me how to post pics on here , ive got a few.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline Callaghan.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2009, 05:32:46 pm »
Hi, Tony ...

to post pictures

If it's your own, make sure it's less than 200KB and use Additional Options... to upload it. If it's from another site, copy the URL and place it between images tags like this:

[ img]URLgoeshere[/img ]

but delete the spaces...

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2009, 05:50:02 pm »
Love to see the pics Tony mate. I don't understand these gizzmos, but if you click on reply a box to write in comes up with additional options in red writing next to it. Click on it, and another box comes up with browse on it. Click on that and if your pictures are in your computer just double click on them and when you click post the pictures will appear in the thread.

Watch the kids take the piss out of the aul fellas for that. But it works...
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2009, 06:05:19 pm »
Thanks for the info folks, im on it . I honestly thought the under 5's would have ripped right into me for being a thicko ;D
'Transalpino 1978

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2009, 06:23:49 pm »
A pic taken from Nicky Allt's book. Im far right sporting a really bad mullet.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2009, 06:54:41 pm »
A pic taken from Nicky Allt's book. Im far right sporting a really bad mullet.
Oh no. Not the dreaded mullet, mate. You might be best keeping them dark.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: June 5, 2009, 07:04:20 pm »
Oh no. Not the dreaded mullet, mate. You might be best keeping them dark.

Oh it gets worse than that mate.
 Im having a bit of trouble putting some pics up, saying files too big.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 5, 2009, 07:06:31 pm »
Oh it gets worse than that mate.
 Im having a bit of trouble putting some pics up, saying files too big.
Probably the width of your flares it can't cope with.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: June 5, 2009, 07:14:08 pm »
A flag purchased in Rome before the game which proclaimed they were already champions. Cheeky bastards!. When i get my other pics scanned il put them up.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: June 5, 2009, 07:14:57 pm »
Probably the width of your flares it can't cope with.

Hahaha.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2009, 08:47:35 pm »
What a greatseason it was, I managed to go to all home league games, cup games, a few aways and all the European Cup home games, I lived in Droitwich, Worcs at the time and travelled to games via the Worcester and Bristol branches of the supporters club, but best of all went on the Special to Rome.

I was only 16 at the time and after many arguments with my folks convinced them to stump up the cash to go to Rome, but on 1 condition, I took an adult with me. I said 'i'll be ok i've made loads of friends over the years', but they wouldn't have it, so I asked a family friend called Howard who was a Villa fan but I think he was a Liverpool fan on the quite. Fortunately he said yes and my folks were happy with that. Get in!

Howard and myself went by train to Lime Street on the Monday which was a bank holiday, oh and it was half term from school and I had to do exams on return so should probably have stayed home to revise, yeh right!
We arrived at Lime Street early evening and with the Special not leaving until early Tuesday morning we had to find somewhere to doss. We met a few others in the same predicament as us and decided we would doss on a platform or something.

Some of you may remember that Lime Street station was being redeveloped at the time so finding somewhere was difficult until we got talking to a security guard who said he knew where we could go and took us to the end of one of the platforms where just happened to be a builders hut, it was like Auf Wiedersehen Pet, brilliant.

None of us slept and played cards and chatted most of the night. Next morning we had to go to the ticket office to collect our train and match tickets that had been booked a couple of weeks previous, and off we went to ROME!

The trip allthough long was brilliant. Each compartment was given a large box with a food parcel for all passengers, I think we had going and coming back but do remember the empties getting turfed out at one of the stations in France. You should have seen the look on the faces of the frogs on the platform, priceless.

Once in Rme we were hearded onto coaches and taken to the stadium, it was like whackey racers on the way there and remember The Ultras on scooters giving us loads of abuse, not as much as we got afterwards. As we got into the ground I remember looking to my left and then being bombarded by missiles so we decided to move further round. I can also remember a few Lazio fans in our end and of course were desperate for us to win.

It maybe wasn't the greatest final ever played (we all know what was) but our boys played the perfect European match, got an early ish goal and kept the Italians quite. I thought Souey was outstanding and took no shit of anyone. When the pens arrived we didn't know what to expect unlike now we always win penalty shootouts. I thought oh shit i've come all this way and we could lose on pens, how horrible would that be. With the pens being taken in the opposite end to where all the Reds fans were we couldn't see what Bruce was upto, spaghetti legs and all. Seeing Alan Kennedy score the winning pen was unbelievable, a dream come true.

Following the the lap of honour, or should I say the Red end of honour we had the task of finding the right coach back to the station. That's when the shit started, all the Roma fans had left as soon as Barney scored the winning pen and obviousley put opperation ambush into action. We got pelted with rocks off all shapes and sizes, it was avery frightening time and the Italian police did fuckall to stop it. Eventually we got on a bus back to the station and then more shit. The ultras rode past the busses on scooters 2 abreast and threw wooden crates and rocks thro' the windows. I can remember a scouse lad picking up a crate that came thro' and asked me to hold his legs as he hanged out the window and proceeded to twat a couple of scooter ultra boys of there scooter, unreal. They went one way and the scooter went under the bus.

Despite all the aggro afterwards it was a great trip and something I will never forget and having not had a decent wash for a week I didn't half stink when I got home.

Sorry for running on a bit. Happy days! YNWA

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2009, 08:54:29 pm »
What a greatseason it was, I managed to go to all home league games, cup games, a few aways and all the European Cup home games, I lived in Droitwich, Worcs at the time and travelled to games via the Worcester and Bristol branches of the supporters club, but best of all went on the Special to Rome.

I was only 16 at the time and after many arguments with my folks convinced them to stump up the cash to go to Rome, but on 1 condition, I took an adult with me. I said 'i'll be ok i've made loads of friends over the years', but they wouldn't have it, so I asked a family friend called Howard who was a Villa fan but I think he was a Liverpool fan on the quite. Fortunately he said yes and my folks were happy with that. Get in!

Howard and myself went by train to Lime Street on the Monday which was a bank holiday, oh and it was half term from school and I had to do exams on return so should probably have stayed home to revise, yeh right!
We arrived at Lime Street early evening and with the Special not leaving until early Tuesday morning we had to find somewhere to doss. We met a few others in the same predicament as us and decided we would doss on a platform or something.

Some of you may remember that Lime Street station was being redeveloped at the time so finding somewhere was difficult until we got talking to a security guard who said he knew where we could go and took us to the end of one of the platforms where just happened to be a builders hut, it was like Auf Wiedersehen Pet, brilliant.

None of us slept and played cards and chatted most of the night. Next morning we had to go to the ticket office to collect our train and match tickets that had been booked a couple of weeks previous, and off we went to ROME!

The trip allthough long was brilliant. Each compartment was given a large box with a food parcel for all passengers, I think we had going and coming back but do remember the empties getting turfed out at one of the stations in France. You should have seen the look on the faces of the frogs on the platform, priceless.

Once in Rme we were hearded onto coaches and taken to the stadium, it was like whackey racers on the way there and remember The Ultras on scooters giving us loads of abuse, not as much as we got afterwards. As we got into the ground I remember looking to my left and then being bombarded by missiles so we decided to move further round. I can also remember a few Lazio fans in our end and of course were desperate for us to win.

It maybe wasn't the greatest final ever played (we all know what was) but our boys played the perfect European match, got an early ish goal and kept the Italians quite. I thought Souey was outstanding and took no shit of anyone. When the pens arrived we didn't know what to expect unlike now we always win penalty shootouts. I thought oh shit i've come all this way and we could lose on pens, how horrible would that be. With the pens being taken in the opposite end to where all the Reds fans were we couldn't see what Bruce was upto, spaghetti legs and all. Seeing Alan Kennedy score the winning pen was unbelievable, a dream come true.

Following the the lap of honour, or should I say the Red end of honour we had the task of finding the right coach back to the station. That's when the shit started, all the Roma fans had left as soon as Barney scored the winning pen and obviousley put opperation ambush into action. We got pelted with rocks off all shapes and sizes, it was avery frightening time and the Italian police did fuckall to stop it. Eventually we got on a bus back to the station and then more shit. The ultras rode past the busses on scooters 2 abreast and threw wooden crates and rocks thro' the windows. I can remember a scouse lad picking up a crate that came thro' and asked me to hold his legs as he hanged out the window and proceeded to twat a couple of scooter ultra boys of there scooter, unreal. They went one way and the scooter went under the bus.

Despite all the aggro afterwards it was a great trip and something I will never forget and having not had a decent wash for a week I didn't half stink when I got home.

Sorry for running on a bit. Happy days! YNWA

No worries! It's great to hear the stories!

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 5, 2009, 08:59:06 pm »
Remember going through the car park with all the big arc lights? Couldn't see a fucking thing and all the bricks and that come flying out the light. That was fucking scary.

Oh and fair play to you for getting off there at that age.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2009, 09:00:51 pm by FAT SCOUSER »

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: June 5, 2009, 09:01:29 pm »
"The trip allthough long was brilliant. Each compartment was given a large box with a food parcel for all passengers"

Fuckin hell, id almost forgotten about that. A peel back can of chicken which tasted awful. I think it was cat food. An orange and a cheese triangle with a cracker.
« Last Edit: June 5, 2009, 09:03:45 pm by tony new mexico »
'Transalpino 1978

Offline GALDAC

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »
Got some great memories of that season.

Went to all the home games and a lot of the aways.

The Everton final was an experience that'll never be repeated. Going down on the mixed specials, imagine that now.
Then the teams going around Wembley together with both ends singing Merseyside. And then a cracker from Souness to win the replay at Maine Road.

I remember winning the league at Notts County with a 0-0 and being that cocky and so use to winning the league we sung more about the scabby Nottingham miners than actually being champions, again.

Then going to Rome by train, I could probably write a book about that trip.
But a few memories that stick out are 1000+ reds with loads of ale from the duty free for the long train journey and about 15 mins from Calais being told "you cant take any alcohol off the boat"! Then making sure every can we bought was drunk before we got off. I cant remember how long (surprise surprise) we delayed that boat sailing back to England but it felt like hours.
Then on reaching Rome being took in a convoy of buses to the stadium and the locals standing applauding us as we whizzed past, different story doing the trip back to the station though! not a window left in the bus.
Then in the ground being sat next to an Italian lad and 2 of his mates, in our end!! He pointed to himself and said "Lazio". So I shook is hand and said "alright Lazio lad how are yeh". Then he points to his 2 mates and goes Lazio, Lazio. I turned to me mate and said this fellas taking the piss, he's saying they're all called Lazio. It was the days before Gazzetta Football Italia see.

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #25 on: June 5, 2009, 09:21:19 pm »
"The trip allthough long was brilliant. Each compartment was given a large box with a food parcel for all passengers"

Fuckin hell, id almost forgotten about that. A peel back can of chicken which tasted awful. I think it was cat food. An orange and a cheese triangle with a cracker.

Calling it food was maybe a bit over the top. I think the so called chicken was cat food, it meowed at me!

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 5, 2009, 09:27:51 pm »
I went to Rome with 2 mates from Crocky. We made our own way. I think we had about a fiver between us, so bunked most of it, robbing sarnies and cans of lemo and ale all the way. I tell you, there was a few moments I wouldn't have minded a can of cat food. 

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #27 on: June 5, 2009, 09:28:37 pm »
Remember going through the car park with all the big arc lights? Couldn't see a fucking thing and all the bricks and that come flying out the light. That was fucking scary.

Oh and fair play to you for getting off there at that age.

Yes it was a tad scary hey. I remember the arc lights, but your right with all the bricks that flew over us it was difficult to see much.

It's good to hear stories off the Rome 84 trip, for some reason it's never been spoken about that much. Keep them coming, enjoying it.

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #28 on: June 5, 2009, 09:34:18 pm »
I went to Rome with 2 mates from Crocky. We made our own way. I think we had about a fiver between us, so bunked most of it, robbing sarnies and cans of lemo and ale all the way. I tell you, there was a few moments I wouldn't have minded a can of cat food. 

I think if I remember correctly there were a few stewards and bizzies on the train from Liverpool who came round a couple of times on the way to check tickets and passports. I can remember giving a lad a leg up on the luggage rack a few times and then covering him with bags and stuff, it was going on all over the train, classic.

And no, you wuldn't have wanted that food we had. Tin of whiskas anyone?
« Last Edit: June 5, 2009, 09:36:05 pm by RedKennedy »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #29 on: June 5, 2009, 10:38:15 pm »
rush scoring a hattrick at villa on my 1st birthday.

needless to say i remember nothing
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #30 on: June 5, 2009, 10:50:46 pm »
rush scoring a hattrick at villa on my 1st birthday.

needless to say i remember nothing

I remember that well and i'll tell you it was bloody freezing!

Oh, Rushy was awsome!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #31 on: June 5, 2009, 11:44:36 pm »

Oh, Rushy was awsome!

was also on a friday for some reason. my brother told me some players wore runners?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: June 5, 2009, 11:47:01 pm »

Oh, Rushy was awsome!

A Friday night game, rushie hatrick, frosty, all yellow kit........ funny i can't remember what i had for my tea last night
'Transalpino 1978

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #33 on: June 5, 2009, 11:56:57 pm »

Didn't get that in 77,didn't even have running water.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: June 6, 2009, 12:09:08 am »
Didn't get that in 77,didn't even have running water.

No water in 84 either, not even to flush. Imagine what that smelt like after an hour.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline paisley1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Bob an ordinary man of extraordinary greatness.
« Reply #35 on: June 6, 2009, 12:14:00 am »
No water in 84 either, not even to flush. Imagine what that smelt like after an hour.

Same as,you had to stand on the seat it was piled so high.Still dream about that luggage rack i was up there for two days.
I've been here during the bad times,we finished second once.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #36 on: June 6, 2009, 12:16:43 am »
To commemorate the 25th anniversary of our all-conquering 1983-84 campaign, Liverpoolfc.tv has been publishing a series of commemorative articles for Treble week’.

Over the course of the last few days we've been celebrating the heroic achievements of Joe Fagan's treble winners; from a narrow Milk Cup success over neighbours Everton right through to title number 15 and that unforgettable shoot-out win against AS Roma in their own backyard.

We looked at all the matches in that trophy-laden campaign courtesy of Alan Kennedy's exclusive diary, spoke  to some of the other heroes of '84 as well as some of the game's most distinguished journalists.

We're now asking for your thoughts on that sensational season and will be publishing the very best of your comments - so get posting!

--

Any memories you'd like to share of the 84 season, the team, the games and the fans?

I presume the milk cup was the FA cup ?
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: June 6, 2009, 12:28:24 am »
Same as,you had to stand on the seat it was piled so high.Still dream about that luggage rack i was up there for two days.

Ha ha, i had the mesh pattern on my face for about a month
'Transalpino 1978

Offline tony new mexico

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: June 6, 2009, 12:29:50 am »

No mate, it was the league cup. It changed sponsors nearly every year and its name.
'Transalpino 1978

Offline Curva Nord '77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 6, 2009, 12:56:33 am »

I am staggered that you ask that  :butt

Anyway, abiding memory of '84 was trekking off to Rome on a sodding coach from Speke. ( anyone remember Amberline ? )

2 effing days to get there.

Attacked by hoards of Roma after the game and the British press?

Totally ignored it.

Pissed as a rat back at the hotel, then two days drive back.

HAPPY DAYS  ;D