Author Topic: Rafa's Wheeling & Dealing  (Read 10951 times)

Offline wideawakewesley

• Kopite
  • We all bleed red, so take the hint!
    • Weekly Geekly
Rafa's Wheeling & Dealing
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:51:59 pm »
I spent a few hours on this today, I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts *awaits the slating*.

Rafa Benitez approximate net spend (per position) on 1st team squad since he’s been in charge of Liverpool FC. This list does not include players inherited that are still playing (e.g. Gerrard). All figures are rounded to nearest £500,000 (mistakes are possible) and for each player you can see the price Rafa paid (if he bought the player) and the price he sold each player for (if they've been sold).

The goal of this article is to highlight how Benitez took a poor squad and bought and sold in and effort to trade up each position within the confines of his transfer budget.

Each section contains a personal assessment of Benitez success or failure in the transfer market based on an overall assessment of each player’s form, recent form and their potential for the future.

Keepers

Jerzy Dudek
-

Chris Kirkland
-

Jose Reina
-

Diego Cavalieri
-

Scott Carson

2004 – Dudek, Kirkland
2005 – Reina, Carson, Kirkland
2006 – Reina, Carson, Kirkland
2007 – Reina. Carson
2008 – Reina, Cavalieri

Net spend: 3m

Assessement: In 2004, we had a keeper prone to mistakes and a keeper who was promising but continually injured. Now, we have a world class keeper who has won the previous three golden glove awards and an understudy who has shown himself to be capable in only a handful of games for the club. Overall, at a cost of 3m, this is very good business.

Centre backs

Sami Hyypia
-

Stephane Henchoz
-

Gabriel Paletta

Mauricio Pellegrino

Daniel Agger
-

Martin Skrtel
-

2004 – Hyypia, Henchoz
2005 – Hyypia, Henchoz/Pellegrino
2006 – Hyypia, Agger, Paletta
2007 – Hyypia, Agger, Skrtel, Paletta
2008 – Hyypia, Agger, Skrtel

Net spend: 14m

Assessement: In 2004, we had three very slow centre-backs, two who were showing their age and none of whom would be classed as ball players. Now, we have three centre-backs, two who are very young and quicker than their predecessors, one of which is a good ball player and both of whom have proven their class. Replacing two centre-backs for 14m is good value, especially when their value has now likely risen.

Right back

Steve Finnan
-

Jose Miguel Gonzalez Rey (Josemi)

Jan Kromkamp

Alvaro Arbeloa
-

Philipp Degen
-

2004 – Finnan, Josemi
2005 – Finnan, Josemi
2006 – Finnan, Josemi/Kromkamp
2007 – Finnan, Arbeloa
2008 – Arbeloa, Degen

Net spend: 2.5m

Assessement: From 2004 – 2007 we had established RB who was solid and dependable, but not exceptional and limited in attack. Many players were bought to challenge Finnan and only age eventually forced Finnan to leave the club, having been replaced by an almost identical player in Arbeloa. Replacing one player with another of equal ability for 2.5m is good business, but it’s obvious we’re still looking for a better player here. Doubtless this is down to availability, priority and price.

Left Back

Djimi Traore
-

John Arne Riise
-

Stephen Warnock
-

Fabio Aurelio
-

Emiliano Insua
January 2007
-

Andrea Dossena
-

2004 – Riise, Traore, Warnock
2005 – Riise, Traore, Warnock
2006 – Riise, Warnock, Aurellio
2007 – Riise, Aurellio
2008 – Aurellio, Dossena, Insua

Net spend: 0.5m

Assessement: In 2004, we had a solid if unexceptional selection of LBs. None set the world alight and one was prone to severe lapses of concentration. While our current collection of LBs includes a 7.5m player who has yet to prove himself, the other two were both signed for free and are better players than those they have replaced. At a total cost of 0.5m that is great business. How Dossena plays next season or how much we recoup for him if sold will determine if that view changes.

Right wing

Antonio Nunez

El Hadji Diouf
-

Luis Garcia

Dirk Kuyt
-

Jermaine Pennant

Djibril Cisse
-

Yossi Benayoun
-

2004 – Nunez, Garcia, Diouf, Cisse
2005 – Garcia, Cisse
2006 – Garcia, Pennant
2007 – Benayoun, Kuyt, Pennant
2008 – Kuyt, Benayoun, El Zhar

Net spend: £11m

Assessement: Both flanks have been a constant source of transfer frustration, with many players having tried their hands in the role. However, it’s clear to see that the selection of players we have in the role now is significantly superior to those who started Benitez reign. With Kuyt now firmly established in the role and Benayoun as primary cover, a 11m net spend seems quite high, but in Kuyt and Benayoun we have two match winners on the right, who provide plenty of goals and assists. They might not be out and out wingers, but after their performances season, would you swap them? It's not all roses though, Pennant was bought out of necessity rather than desire and we've lost a reasonable chunk of change on him.

Left Wing

Vladimir Smicer
-

Harry Kewell
-

Boudewijn Zenden

Mark Gonzalez

Ryan Babel
-

Albert Riera
-

Sebastian Leto
-

2004 – Smicer, Kewell
2005 – Kewell, Zenden
2006 – Kewell, Zenden, Gonzalez
2007 – Kewell, Babel
2008 – Babel, Riera

Net spend: 20m

Assessement: If RW has proved a problem for Rafa, LW has been the bane of his life. In 2004, Rafa was lumbered with two injury prone, but talented LWs. Today, he’s got a solid, strong and skilful first choice, with an expensive young understudy who has failed to make his mark and seems unwilling to adapt. At a net spend of 20m, you have to be critical, but Babel is still young and even if we were to sell him, we should recover a large portion of his cost. The jury is still out on him, but so far he’s an expensive flop.

Central Midfield

Danny Murphy
-

Igor Biscan
-

Dietmar Hamann
-

Alou Diarra
-

Danny Guthrie
-

Xabi Alonso
-

Mohammed Sissoko

Lucas Leiva
-

Javier Mascherano
-

2004 – Alonso, Hamman, Biscan
2005 – Alonso, Hamman, Sissoko
2006 – Alonso, Sissoko, Guthrie
2007 – Alonso, Sissoko, Mascherano, Leiva
2008 – Alonso, Mascherano, Leiva

Net spend: 30.5m

Assessement: Liverpool’s midfield in 2004 had no depth, with the understudies for the positions being laughably poor. However, the first choice players were certainly more than capable at the time. Over the next five years Benitez has restructured the team and formation, replacing players as they’ve aged or because of loss of form. He’s broken the bank to buy one of the world’s best holding midfielders and spent a significant sum bringing the exceptional Alonso to the club and supported them with the Brazillian U20 captain. Although the latter has yet to make his mark, he’s shown plenty of promise and is thought of very highly by his team mates. 30.5m is a very significant amount of money, but pound for pound when compared to similar purchases by other clubs, Benitez has spent at least as well as his peers in this position. The jury is out on Lucas, but 6.5m for a young squad player who has captained his national team is a good price. Time will tell.

Strikers/Support Strikers

Michael Owen
-

Milan Baros
-

Peter Crouch

Fernando Morientes

Craig Bellamy

Neil Mellor
-

Robbie Fowler

Florent Sinama-Pongolle
-

Andriy Voronin
-

Fernando Torres
-

Robbie Keane

David Ngog
-

2004 – Baros, Cisse, Sinama-Pongolle, Mellor, Morientes
2005 – Crouch, Cisse, Morientes, Fowler, Sinama-Pongolle, Mellor
2006 – Couch, Kuyt, Bellamy, Fowler, Sinama-Pongolle
2007 – Crouch, Torres, Voronin, Kuyt
2008 – Torres, Kuyt, Ngog, Babel

Net spend: 6m

Assessement: In 2004 we had a collection of average strikers. Now, we have a world class striker. However, with the misstep of signing and then selling Keane, the 6m net spend highlights our current lack of depth in this position. Rafa didn’t buy Keane, but has since been proven right in selling him, even though the whole farce has likely cost Liverpool 5m. However, it’s obvious that the money will be reinvested, and until a replacement for Keane is bought and assessed, it’s hard to truly judge Rafa here, but certainly the purchase of Torres was a masterstroke and the purchase of Keane was a collective cock up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:59:04 pm by wideawakewesley »

Offline ricflairandy

• moany grumbling in my day the club gave you gold coins grump of a moaning bastard honestly national service for Suarez and another thing...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Whoooooooooooooo!
Re: Rafa's Wheeling & Dealing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:12:01 pm »
good effort, but too many wrong figures.

Mascherano was nowhere near 20 million. Was 17ish, but a chunk of that accounted for his wages of the duration of his contract, so was far less. However we also paid a fee to loan him first for 1 and a half years.

And torres was more around 17 aswell.

Rafa has also baught about a billion young players aswell :D
http://www.musclefood.com/AH6059
4 chicken breasts free!

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:14:58 pm »
Yeah but he is a Johnny foreigner and not our good old Arry. Arry does the wheeling and dealing and that top geezer up at Birmingham Martin

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:16:30 pm »
*awaits the slating*

You know RAWK too well.  :)
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:19:38 pm »
I think there's a few mistakes on how much we bought and sold for but more or less accurate and it shows how little Rafa has actually spent in getting us to where we are today. Nice piece.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline ep1987

• Emiliano Insua head coach
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:22:08 pm »
We paid compensation for Aurelio, Itandje was a 'mis-step' Rafa signing and Torres cost 20.3m according to the most reliable sources (with 0.5m extra for every 30 goals).

Good effort though, shows our relatively low net spend in overhauling our squad, the previous revolving door at striker and our struggle to fill the wide positions.

Offline L Redwing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 05:26:52 pm »
Nice post. It reminds me of that guy that traded one red paperclip (through a series of trades) for a house. Interesting to see how big a problem LW has been for us. And also how the investment in CM has paid off.

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 05:41:45 pm »
Good post, thanks for taking the time to do that.

I think you forgot to include Charles Itandje in the keepers section.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline mooks

• struggles with difficult concepts - must try harder 5/10
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 05:42:41 pm »
We paid compensation for Aurelio
::)

Offline mooks

• struggles with difficult concepts - must try harder 5/10
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 05:43:27 pm »
Good post, thanks for taking the time to do that.

I think you forgot to include Charles Itandje in the keepers section.
I think Charles Itandje forgot to include Charles Itandje in the keepers section.

Online abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 06:00:18 pm »
Nice work there. Apart from left wing, you can't really find a fault.

Fucking unbelievable we got Xabi for 10.5M. 10.5! Haha, United paid 17M for Carrick, same for Anderson, same for Hargreaves.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 06:05:56 pm »
I'm not sure why you included Cisse in the right wing section, since he was bought and sold as a striker even if he wasn't very good at it. Otherwise it's an interesting look back at how far we've come and I think it really highlights the money squandered on wide players more than anything else.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 06:08:09 pm »
Nice work there. Apart from left wing, you can't really find a fault.

Fucking unbelievable we got Xabi for 10.5M. 10.5! Haha, United paid 17M for Carrick, same for Anderson, same for Hargreaves.

And if you are so inclined to believe the Spanish press we are about to sell him to Real Madrid for 25M.

How much do you rekon the Mancs would get if they put Carrick, Anderson and Hargreves up for sale? Probably 25-30M for the lot!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:10:14 pm by exiledintheusa »

Offline Mother.F

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 06:09:57 pm »
Don't worry about any slating. Even though this has been done before, it's good to know and see every once in awhile, simply because there is so much negative bias coming from other camps on the subject.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 06:11:54 pm »
Don't worry about any slating. Even though this has been done before, it's good to know and see every once in awhile, simply because there is so much negative bias coming from other camps on the subject.

Excatly, it is always good to deal in Rafa-esque FACTS and not the shite Slurgie, Fat F*ck Sam and Sly Sports would have you believe.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:13:31 pm by exiledintheusa »

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 06:20:03 pm »
Thank you, that is a nicely-categorized look at the main players in the positions.  While we might quibble about what category you put Cisse in, or how much we paid for Masch, it overall does present a clear trend in the right direction.
Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline Crazynumber9

• Legacy Fan
  • Be afraid!
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 06:27:23 pm »
Well done, a nice overall look at how the squad has changed since Rafa has got here and what he really has achieved in the 5 years he's been here.
Proudly an internet terrorist since 2010!

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 06:32:20 pm »
Can't see the point with quiblling over some of the OP. Well done lad, for taking the time to put it all into one easily digestable piece. But the fact, transfers is just one more area where Rafa has more or less dragged the club back from disaster single handedly. It's a great credit to him.
I can't wait to see what he does in the summer.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 07:06:19 pm »
how much was sissoko sold for ?
i thought it was much higher..

good effort tho, u put a lot of work into that, respect due :D

Offline Dirkydirkdirk

• Kopite
  • Sweet Jesus no
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 07:30:16 pm »
Good piece. It shows what little actual cash we have spent. Hopefully Statler and Waldorf have been saving it for this summer.

How long did it take you to put this together?? Credit due (unless I was your boss, in which case P45 due).
There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 07:32:12 pm »
Going by your figures, I think you've got some of the net spends wrong. This is what I got:

LB:
Net Spend = 0.5 Mill
(rather than 1.5)

RM:
Net Spend = 13 mill
(not 4.5)

Forwards
Net Spend = 6 mill
(not 4.5)

But otherwise, good work. Makes for an interesting read.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 07:32:55 pm »
Good effort wideawakewesley.

I'm just wondering why some seem to think Finnan wasn't that great. I always thought he was one of the best right backs in the country for two or three years under Rafa. Do people actually think he was average or are they basing their views on his last season with us? which is kind of similar to what happened with Riise in a way. I remember Riise being very good in Rafa's first season.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Phatz

• Clean and serene... Yeah right...RAWK's Resident Pet Shop Boy?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Not being funny right, but...
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 07:56:58 pm »
Thank you, that is a nicely-categorized look at the main players in the positions.  While we might quibble about what category you put Cisse in, or how much we paid for Masch, it overall does present a clear trend in the right direction.

And that is the best thing about it. The Gafa has overall spend is significantly less then our rivals. And it has got us to a strong position, and a feeling of confidence. In my opinion, anyway.

Good piece.

Walk on...
 :) :) :) :) :)
'Nuff said...

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 08:02:01 pm »
there has been a high turnover of players since rafs arrival a lot of them young.when people put these stats together ,do they know enough of the inn and outs of the sell on deals to put all this down accurately.for instance if the young lads moved on develop,i wonder if there is a clause for add ons if they do well or are traded on.the fact that they have LFC on their c.v now must increase a players appeal to other clubs and so therefore add value and experience.If not,someone is missing a trick.If so ,where does that added value get pencilled into the equation?....anyone Know what the true situation is?
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline wideawakewesley

• Kopite
    • Weekly Geekly
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 08:04:57 pm »
I've updated the figures and comments as my maths was obviously being hindered by my need to do some work today. I was way off on the RW originally. Thanks for the comments, glad folks find this useful.

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 08:04:59 pm »
Hate to be picky with a good piece but you forgot Carra ;)
ynwa

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 08:08:03 pm »
ahh, i got it now..

sissoko was 8.2mil..
i thought it was 11 or 12mil, and it was... but in euro ! :D

Offline wideawakewesley

• Kopite
    • Weekly Geekly
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 08:10:20 pm »
Hate to be picky with a good piece but you forgot Carra ;)

I've left out any players that were on the books when Rafa arrived and are still playing in the first XI. There's no Gerrard either.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 08:11:02 pm »
and it leads us to the gaps in the sqad
Gk - sorted
Rb - need back up/alternative to Arbeloa required!
CB - sorted with three excellent choices, promote fourth option from reserves?
LB - Keep Aurelio/Insua - sell Dossena 4m (Barry as utility back up) - sorted?
CM - Masch/Alonso/Lucas - buy Barry 9m as a fourth option - sorted?
LM - Riera is a good squad player, sell Babel 7m - first choice required $€£ (Silva?)!
RM - Kuyt/Benayoun - sorted?
AM - Gerrard/Benayoun - sorted?
ST - Torres/nGog - potential replacement first choice required $€£ (Kerreison?)
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline MAL05

• Kopite
  • JFT96 - YNWA
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 08:14:00 pm »
Good post.  IMO RW is our weakest area at this moment in time.  Rafa has just about found some quality with Riera at LW, so it remains to ensure we go all out for a quality wide player on the right in the summer, Silva I hope.

This will then mean Kuyt can be cover for Torres and Gerrard, and he has certainly proved more than capeable of this with his best goal tally since joining.  So I don't think there is much need to buy a forward in the summer.

A quality wide right player please Rafa!
.."I am only thinking of the next game"..

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 08:41:50 pm »
Really interesting post it just proves how fucking annoying that LW slot is, RW is alright we have Kuyt, Benyaoun, El Zhar and even Gerrard who can play there if they have to. That LW is pivotal to us improving, if we got some really quality in the summer we will win the title.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:57 pm »
and it leads us to the gaps in the sqad
Gk - sorted
Rb - need back up/alternative to Arbeloa required!
CB - sorted with three excellent choices, promote fourth option from reserves?
LB - Keep Aurelio/Insua - sell Dossena 4m (Barry as utility back up) - sorted?
CM - Masch/Alonso/Lucas - buy Barry 9m as a fourth option - sorted?
LM - Riera is a good squad player, sell Babel 7m - first choice required $€£ (Silva?)!
RM - Kuyt/Benayoun - sorted?
AM - Gerrard/Benayoun - sorted?
ST - Torres/nGog - potential replacement first choice required $€£ (Kerreison?)

GK - Reina, Cavalieri
RB - Arbeloa, Darby or buy Glen Johnson
LB - Aurelio, Insua but sell Dossena for £4m plus
CB - Carra, Agger, Skrtel but need a fourth, promote from reserves or buy experienced centre back
CM - Xabi, Masch, Lucas that is fine
RW - Kuyt, Benyaoun or El Zhar
LW - Riera but Babel hasn't proved himself this season we should sell him to fund Silva deal
AMC - Gerrard, Benyaoun*
ST - Torres, N'Gog*

* We need to sign a player who can play in both positions i.e. Lavezzi, Keirrison or even our manc friend Carlos
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

Offline Tomrock

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Hobophobic
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 11:24:35 pm »
good effort, but too many wrong figures.

Mascherano was nowhere near 20 million. Was 17ish, but a chunk of that accounted for his wages of the duration of his contract, so was far less. However we also paid a fee to loan him first for 1 and a half years.

And torres was more around 17 aswell.

Rafa has also baught about a billion young players aswell :D

What makes you think Torres was 17m?
We are the noise they could not deal with

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 11:26:48 pm »
Torres was around 20 million although most papers quote it as 26 million as they forget garcia went the other way.

Offline RJH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 11:32:49 pm »
Torres was around 20 million although most papers quote it as 26 million as they forget garcia went the other way.

I think 26 million is what it would be if we paid out for all the extra clauses in the contract (payment for goals, trophies etc.)

Good effort wideawakewesley.

I'm just wondering why some seem to think Finnan wasn't that great. I always thought he was one of the best right backs in the country for two or three years under Rafa. Do people actually think he was average or are they basing their views on his last season with us? which is kind of similar to what happened with Riise in a way. I remember Riise being very good in Rafa's first season.
I always thought he was a good player. What confused me was how opposition teams often tried to target him.
My Dad always used to point out how teams liked to put high balls in towards him, yet I can't remember it ever being a very succesful tactic for any team.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 11:42:57 pm »
I think 26 million is what it would be if we paid out for all the extra clauses in the contract (payment for goals, trophies etc.)
I always thought he was a good player. What confused me was how opposition teams often tried to target him.
My Dad always used to point out how teams liked to put high balls in towards him, yet I can't remember it ever being a very succesful tactic for any team.
I thought we only paid £16-18m and garcia{ inflated price of £8m ... } plus £x for every 30 goals ?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 11:46:45 pm »
I've updated the figures and comments as my maths was obviously being hindered by my need to do some work today. I was way off on the RW originally. Thanks for the comments, glad folks find this useful.

great thread sir and an excellent pointer to what we do next. 

GK - Reina, Cavalieri
RB - Arbeloa, Darby or buy Glen Johnson
LB - Aurelio, Insua but sell Dossena for £4m plus
CB - Carra, Agger, Skrtel but need a fourth, promote from reserves or buy experienced centre back
CM - Xabi, Masch, Lucas that is fine
RW - Kuyt, Benyaoun or El Zhar
LW - Riera but Babel hasn't proved himself this season we should sell him to fund Silva deal
AMC - Gerrard, Benyaoun*
ST - Torres, N'Gog*

* We need to sign a player who can play in both positions i.e. Lavezzi, Keirrison or even our manc friend Carlos

i'd really like us to sign glen johnson as i think he offers some dynamism on the right as well as englishness which is obviously more of a concern next season. 

barry is essential too for squad depth in terms of rotation and even squad cover in the middle and all over the left - someone suggested he could be our kuyt on the left which i think was meant as a piss take but in games you need to control like away in europe he could be absolutely invaluable for us.

i think rafa's past has suggested he would like experienced cover in the centre of defence rather than promoting from within despite the promise of both kelly and san jose.  while he might change his mind this year i go along with gedo in thinking he will be looking to bring in a mature player on a bosman like he did with pelligrini and also tried to do with heinze and kakladze before him.

its up front that we wall want the flashing blades.  i'd go for tevez if we can only afford one super star of rock but silva plus kerrison would be exciting too if a little bit more of a risk with their need to resettle and lack of premiership experience though both would be coming at a good age too develop further.

whatever my thoughts though the op sets out very good reasons to have faith in rafa and his general progress in  improving our squad.

Offline RJH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 12:01:12 am »
I thought we only paid £16-18m and garcia{ inflated price of £8m ... } plus £x for every 30 goals ?

Hmm... I'm not sure. That valuation of Garcia seems a bit high.
I've heard about the goals one (I think maybe it's 1/2 a million per 30), the trophies one I'm not so sure on - I'd be surprised if we didn't have some kind of bonus agreed relating to club success.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 12:02:34 am »
They've been talking about Wenger's massive wages without trophies on Talk Sport and an Arse fan rang up citing Rafa's massive spend as a reason why they have dropped so far behind.
A Red swiftly followed this up and basically summarised this post by stating that Rafa this season is in the black by £2m while the likes of Moyes have spent £5m NET, and that over his time at the club his NET spend is very low.

As usual the presenters put a negative spin on it though by saying that the reason we've brought so much money in is that Rafa has fucked up his purchases so often and had to get rid.   :butt
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.