Author Topic: The Sun protest idea  (Read 10550 times)

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
The Sun protest idea
« on: April 12, 2009, 04:56:53 am »
Just had a a bit of a brainwave.

If someone could design a simple non-offensive leaflet explaining all the reasons why the people of Merseyside should boycott The Sun for their disgusting Hillsbrough attack and lack of decent apology since and post it up on the net as a PDF file.

Those of us that are able to lend a bit of free time to the cause could print them off and insert them inside copies of the newspaper on the 15th, or during the forthcoming week, in places like supermarkets and WH Smith's before they are sold.

Just an idea of a peaceful protest, nobody gets hurt, nobody breaks the law and it will certainly get straight to the intended audience and maybe even make some people understand the offence caused by their chosen daily rag.

Would like to hear what people think of this idea?
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Sun protest idea
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 05:15:35 am »
Would be a good idea, but it'd be difficult getting them all printed and inserted into the rag in time wouldn't it? :-\
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:54:14 am by JMCA »

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:43:14 am »
Would be a good idea, but it'd be difficult getting them all printed and inserted into the rag in time wouldn't it? :-\

Admitedly I wish I'd thought of it a bit sooner in order to get as many people involved as possible but printing wise there shouldn't be any problems.

All that would need to happen would be for someone with a few basic design skills to come up with a leaflet, stick it online as a PDF or whatever for people to download at home and print off say 10 copies on their own printers and insert them into copies of the said rag on the day.

No need for thousands of copies to be printed centrally or any kind of distribution process involved at all.

Simple really.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:44:53 am by Vladi Legend »
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:48:18 am »
I just threw that together (see earlier post,) couldn't really think of what to put on it though, have it saved as a PDF but its 6MB, so big file to upload on here, any idea's?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:54:44 am by JMCA »

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:56:13 am »
I just threw that together (see earlier post,) couldn't really think of what to put on it though, have it saved as a PDF but like I say, its 6MB, so really big file to upload

Looks good mate! Maybe stick it on one of the file hosting sites with a link to it in the forum would be best.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:57:44 am »
Looks good mate! Maybe stick it on one of the file hosting sites with a link to it in the forum would be best.

tried that mate but imageshack doesn't let you upload PDF ffiles :(, an I don't know any other uploading sites.

Anyone have any other idea's?

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 06:52:43 am »
got this post from otk a few weeks ago its simple but works.

Don't Buy The Sun

I've unashamedly nicked this idea from another LFC forum. Although something similar was whirling around somewhere in the depths of my consciousness.

Fast approaching 20 years now, and it's makes you proud to see that there's still no let-up in the DBTS campaign. But let's not rest on our laurels, let's move up a gear and hit these ******** in the only place they know - their pockets.

For some time now, whenever I go to Tesco, Asda or similar, I go through the ritual of putting a pile of half a dozen or so copies of another paper (a slow seller) on top of the Sun pile in the hope that potential buyers will think that the Sun is sold out and buy something else instead - only a small thing I know, but if other people were doing the same every day, up and down the country, then the cumulative effect could eventually lead to something quite noticeable.

Turns out that a fair few others do the same, and I would recommend that rawk forum members the length and bredth of the UK do the same. You won't be commiting a criminal act, so don't be shy get down to your local Tesco every day.

Other hinderances mentioned include placing DBTS stickers on the masthead, or as a sort of seal across the edge of all the pages - i'm sure it would peel off easy enough.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that fans break the law, but i'm sure we can all do our little bit to annoy these ******* as the 20th anniversary approaches?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:03:36 am by Rome-77 »

Offline bobapcoed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:48:04 am »

Don't Buy The Sun

I've unashamedly nicked this idea from another LFC forum. Although something similar was whirling around somewhere in the depths of my consciousness.

Fast approaching 20 years now, and it's makes you proud to see that there's still no let-up in the DBTS campaign. But let's not rest on our laurels, let's move up a gear and hit these ******** in the only place they know - their pockets.

For some time now, whenever I go to Tesco, Asda or similar, I go through the ritual of putting a pile of half a dozen or so copies of another paper (a slow seller) on top of the Sun pile in the hope that potential buyers will think that the Sun is sold out and buy something else instead - only a small thing I know, but if other people were doing the same every day, up and down the country, then the cumulative effect could eventually lead to something quite noticeable.

Turns out that a fair few others do the same, and I would recommend that rawk forum members the length and bredth of the UK do the same. You won't be commiting a criminal act, so don't be shy get down to your local Tesco every day.

Other hinderances mentioned include placing DBTS stickers on the masthead, or as a sort of seal across the edge of all the pages - i'm sure it would peel off easy enough.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that fans break the law, but i'm sure we can all do our little bit to annoy these ******* as the 20th anniversary approaches?

I've been doing the supermarket trick for ages. Last time I went to do it and somebody else already had. Could have been co-incidence but if it grows it's cheap easy and legal. I think the leaflet idea is brilliant but needs to be controlled. It got to be correct otherwise the rag will have a field day.

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 08:47:32 am »

Don't Buy The Sun

I do that and have got my kids doing it aswell

I am armed with stickers going do the lamp posts and bus stops today

Offline Kazuya_UK

• Main Stander
  • If you are first you are first...
    • NeoGeoForLife
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:08:34 am »
Need a place to host it I'll happily upload it on my site and give a direct download link for anyone that needs it. Just PM me.

Kaz

Offline Slinky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 09:27:27 am »
Think this is a great idea.
If someone puts together an A4 flyer and posts it up on here and other forums, everyone could print off a dozen or so copies and everytime you go to the shops or the newsagents put it on top of the sun pile. Has the potential to make a massive impact.
I just threw that together (see earlier post,) couldn't really think of what to put on it though, have it saved as a PDF but its 6MB, so big file to upload on here, any idea's?
Think the contents good. But maybe would be better with a plain background so it can be printed by those without colour printers.

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 09:31:24 am »
Allways armed with some stickers, and as I live in east midlands now everytime i see someone reading the devils bible they get a little nudge and a DBTS sticker stuck to them :)
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 09:37:46 am »
My kids take great delight in going into shops and burying the rag under piles of other newspapers. But if I could get leaflets to show in the local newsagents and shops, I'd definitely hand them out.
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 10:20:15 am »
If anyone wants to do this - keep it simple. That's very pretty but most people won't bother reading it - it looks like a heavy metal flyer or something from a video game. Simple clean typeface in black & white or with a bit of red for emphasis and easy to print.

Also include web addresses for:

HFD - http://www.hfdinfo.com/  

Hillsborough Justice Campaign - http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

as a minimum...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline MajikMijit

• Boys Pen
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 10:22:49 am »
Does anyone have a readable copy of that front page, where you can see the copy as well as the headlines.  Whenever I explain to people (especially foreigners or those too young to remember) what they did, I can tell they think I'm exagerating.  The most damning evidence is in the paper's own words.

Offline Wayne05

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 11:19:16 am »
I was about to save and print some of these to put on bus stops etc as well as on the shop paper racks . Also thought I might post it on facebook etc ?
Only I notice it says ' Tuesday 15th April 1989 ' I hope I'm not missing something ? Sorry to be a pain
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 01:57:53 pm by Alan_F »

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 04:58:28 pm »
If anyone wants to do this - keep it simple. That's very pretty but most people won't bother reading it - it looks like a heavy metal flyer or something from a video game. Simple clean typeface in black & white or with a bit of red for emphasis and easy to print.

Also include web addresses for:

HFD - http://www.hfdinfo.com/ 

Hillsborough Justice Campaign - http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

as a minimum...
www.thetruth.be ? ;)

There will be leaflets/stickers printed to coincide with the launch of the 'Don't Buy The S*n' website, which will be soon, hopefully.

I also understand that SOS have designed and started passing around some 'Don't Buy The S*n' flyers at yesterday's game, so look out for them
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:07:31 pm by alex. »

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 05:13:09 pm »
Am down in Southampton and I've been doing that supermarket trick too. Legal and simple.

The other day in school, they were talking about the Hillsborough disaster, and the head asked 1200 of us who knew about it, and only about 10 (including me) raised their hands. Was quite shocked to be honest, although we're down in Soton but the lack of people knowing about it was an eye opener, especially since there were about 200-300 Liverpool fans in there.

But atleast the head went on to talk about it to the whole school, around 40 minutes or so, and urged everyone not to buy the S*n.

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »
I do that and have got my kids doing it aswell

I am armed with stickers going do the lamp posts and bus stops today

I saw a load of stickers on my Housing Estate sign...made me smile. :D
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 05:30:44 pm »
Good idea.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 05:42:12 pm »
i got a hangover from hell so didnt search but are there any links/pics that i can print off with regards to the JFT campaign?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 05:44:06 pm »
especially since there were about 200-300 Liverpool fans in there.

So we're picking up Southampton fans who are soon to be without a football club? Great.
hi

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 05:56:26 pm »
Great ideas all round.

Just remember if you're a matchgoer to pop into
the HJC shop and make a contribution by purchasing your
DBTS stickers there rather than trying to make your own etc.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline qwerty_in_advance

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 05:56:35 pm »
not just the people of merseyside, im from bradfod an boycott the sun along with alot of friends and family. the Sun is a parasite of a paper and needs taking down once an for all.
“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.”

Offline Slinky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 09:09:59 pm »
Does anyone have a readable copy of that front page, where you can see the copy as well as the headlines.  Whenever I explain to people (especially foreigners or those too young to remember) what they did, I can tell they think I'm exagerating.  The most damning evidence is in the paper's own words.
http://www.geocities.com/hillsboroughresearch/ that's a complete transcript of  The S*n's coverage.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 11:24:17 pm »
I think this a great idea. And as another hider of the S*n, this would make for a much stronger statement.

However, though I do appreciate the effort from JMCA, we need a much clearer flyer than this. As Alan_F said, we need it to be black & white printer friendly and with links to the relevant sites. Whilst I'd agree that the typeface is all wrong and comes off not as an informational flyer but a music gig one. In my opinion, we need something a little more fact worthy and not just apparent hearsay. Take this as an example: http://www.topplebush.com/flyers/war_monies.pdf

Though that one is obviously too text heavy.

Perhaps some of the older members could come up with a few short sharp sentances that sum up our standpoint. Not condescending, nor overly passionate. Just fair and true information about the S*n's coverage of Hillborough that we want these buyers to know.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 11:29:27 pm »
I'll check on here in the morning.. BUT I anyone gets anything done by 8am in the morning can you PM me please?

I like JMCA's idea above and will try and print off 50 of them as I'll be doing the papers at my part time job in the morning and usually avoid the sun when doing them, but wouldn't mind shoving these leaflets inside them.

Ta
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:35:33 pm by swoopy »

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 04:33:04 pm »
bump

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 05:43:44 pm »
http://www.geocities.com/hillsboroughresearch/ that's a complete transcript of  The S*n's coverage.

That's the first time I've seen that, and it's the first time I've seen the name of the two c*nts that wrote the piece on behalf of McKenzie.

Offline andeeeee

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 06:29:06 pm »
just go into your local papershop pick the pill of sh8t up and dump on floor outside the shop

Offline mrsphilthefish

• Twitter terrier. Queen of the retweet
  • Legacy Fan
  • I will do what I can to get justice for our 96
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35:21 pm »

ALL the people mentioned in that coverage should be found and spoken to again.......
There's been many mountains to climb but I can smell Justice.......soon our 96 reds will rest in peace JFT96

Offline Ozzy_Red

• about Sharon in OK magazine again.. Not the sharpest shrimp on the barbie but probably the most irritating
  • Legacy Fan
  • A pig. In a cage. On antibiotics
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 06:54:52 am »
bump de bump
Rarfer out! Go the Liverpool Reds Football Franchise!

Wanker : Manchester United fan. Follower of Manchester United. Denzien of Manchester. More likely to know more about white dog poo than football.

Offline ElSheak

• Poster Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Royal Liverpool FC
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 10:17:23 am »
I was thinking that, along the lines of the avatar changes that swept across this forum, for a wider audience, lets have a mass Facebook status change?

Most of us have one, have friends up and down the country who will see it and it's a good chance again to spread the message.

Maybe... "Don't buy the Sun - www.contrast.org/hillsborough"

Today is about the families and those who never came home.

But the 19th, this Saturday, in mass, everyone could update their status, it'll be seen across the country.

Thoughts?
"This very valuable asset..." No Tom. We are not an 'asset'. We are Liverpool Football Club.

Superlicious Istanbul 2005 poster – now available and seen here! (© Adrian Newell)

Offline Villiers Terrace

• Been in a daze for days
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 11:57:00 am »
Here's the leaflet that the Liverpool Supporters' Union produced and distributed for the Blackburn game; http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/Don-sss-t-Buy-The-Sun-Leaflet.html

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 04:44:17 pm »
I made up a few of my own last night and will be sticking up a few on my way home from work and placing a DBTS posters anywhere I see the Scum for sale.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Pilchard

• Kopite
  • Bring back the 'friendly' derbies
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 12:48:35 pm »
Sometimes somebody has an idea that is so simple that you cant believe you didnt think of it yourself.

Im 48 years old and although I say so myself, I am not an idiot. But it never occured to me to cover up the sun with another paper. Rest assured, that oversight stops now.

Also as my house is for sale, I will be applying a few stickers, both HJC & DBTS on the agents board.

I always try to put a sticker on the newsagent sign, and as the only Scouse in the village I am amazed he hasnt twigged who it is yet.

As for the leaflet/flyer idea, keep it simple. Dont use colour, use just one font and a maximum of three font sizes. People will read something if it is well presented.

Good luck and keep the ideas coming
Scouse Separatist

Offline Rome-77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 05:07:19 pm »
needs stepin up now

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 06:27:18 pm »
I started my personal campaign of Sun covering today. I picked up 15 copies of the Times and whacked them straight on top of the Sun in Sainsburys. I cam past 10 minutes later, and an old couple were hovering around the newspaper stand...

"They haven't got any left"
"Let's get a Mirror instead"

From small acorns...
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 06:49:45 pm »
Been doing the pile of newspapers ontop of the sun for a good few years now myself.
sainsburys in walton had already been done today though by the looks of it, not a sign of the rag, also nice to see a few stickers on the news stand.

Last time i was on hols the fella next to us was reading a copy, big family of annoying fucking cockneys. Instead of talking to them (which i should have done) i waited until they went the bar and dipped his paper in the pool and put it back where it was.
childish and wimps way out but was funny to see when he came back:)

makes me so angry when i see people buying it, especially in liverpool. a lot of the old dears seem to buy it apparently for the racing or something but i doint know. Its a shame anyone buys it at all ANYWAY never mind all our own gripes. Disgusting paper.

Offline readybreck

• road
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 06:56:44 pm »
From time to time i have recieved e mails regarding protests, virus warnings etc from people i know with breif details of what its about and then a part asking you to forward it on to who ever you know and the same for them, similar stuff via text messaging, maybe something like this could be used not only about the s*n but also the justice campaign.