Author Topic: Help needed – Hillsborough Memorial Tribute – London to Liverpool over Easter?  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Number 7 is just around the corner!!

Look I don’t know whether anyone can help – but…

We need some way of getting a 5kg parcel from central London to Wallasey (or central Liverpool) by Easter Tuesday morning.

Has anyone got any bright ideas?

The Reason:
A group of Melbourne-based Reds wanted to pay their respects at Wednesday’s memorial service. Through a mutual acquaintance, we approached Hazem, a leading Australian artist who works in fibre (like a tapestry) who agreed to produce a special tribute piece in time for the service and donate it. Recent similar works of his have sold for in excess of £10,000 so we were pretty pleased.

About 3 weeks ago, he produced a stunning near-final version and we invited Gerry Marsden (the singer of YNWA fame who was in Melbourne for a few shows).

The artwork is knitted cotton and is created using hundreds of millions of individual stitches. There is no printing involved in this artwork with the techniques used invented by the artist.

Gerry loved it and suggested that we should contact Brian Hall at the club as he was in charge of organising the service. So I phoned Brian and we sent him details and waited. Finally he got back to us this week saying that it would be perfect to display in the Centenary Stand during the service and for fans to see over the rest of the season while they worked out a permanent home for it.

That gave us less than a week to ship it to Liverpool, get it mounted and delivered to the club. We have pulled in every favour and found a lad in the New Way Business Centre in Wallasey, Wirral who could mount it and one of his drivers is a Red who said he’d deliver it to Anfield for nothing. But we had to get it to them by Tuesday morning. Unfortunately by then we had missed the normal courier/shipping services. By a fluke we learned that a friend of a friend was flying from Australia to London yesterday and when we explained, he agreed to take it. So it is now at the Mayfair Hotel in central London.

Unfortunately none of the courier services are operating again until Tuesday – which means that we’d be cutting it too fine (or paying a fortune to get it there).

Does anyone know anybody travelling from London to Liverpool over the Easter period who could help? It’s folded up and is quite compact and weighs about 10 lbs. I presume the lad from Wallasey can maybe pick it up from somewhere local.

If you can help in any way please email me on carlcwilson@gmail.com with a phone number to get back to you. The time zones are a bit tricky but we'll work around that.

It's all been a bit of a longshot and there have been so many obstacles to overcome - but people have been only too happy to help when we explain. Now, we're nearly there - and it's in an incredibly good cause.

:wave

"After 27 years and 11 days, finally, we got justice for the 96"
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Sorry that the image is not very cleare - I wasn't sure how to insert an image - and the limit for attachments was 200KB - so I had to juggle around.

A clearer (larger) image is

(hope that works ???)

The artwork is very detailed and displays the names of the 96 superimposed on images of what it means to be part of Liverpool FC. It also features images of both the fans and players paying their respect.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:37:42 am by Koparoo »
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
What a fantastic gesture from Hazem. Good on yer, Melbourne Reds, you are absolute class.

I saw this mentioned on telly a while back, on ABC worldwide. I'm surprised to find that it hasn't made it to Liverpool, let alone Anfield yet! Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun with this (i.e. nightmares!).

Fear not, this fabulous fibre tapestry will make it to Wallasey, I'm sure!

I would drive it there myself but that just isn't possible. I'm sure someone will offer to do just that once everyone gets out of bed.

If the worst came to the worst, the Mayfair can sort a minicab.

With a few 1 pound and 5 pound donations on here, RAWK would probly get the money back.

But it won't come to that, I'm sure. I bet someone from down south is going to somewhere close and you'll be able to get Mr Wallasey to get it got from there.

Here's one: Get your friend's friend in London to go to Euston Station and have a word with the guard on one of the trains to Lime Street. Then you just need someone in Liverpool to meet the helpful guard and get it to the mounter in Wallasey. (Or the same thing with National Express buses at Victoria Station.)

Or maybe get onto the club again and see if they can't get it up to Wallasey, or foot the bill or whatever.

I hope to see it in the flesh one day, I know the photo can't do it justice - and it looks great in the the photo.

You could maybe auction it off too but I hope it gets prominent display wherever it ends up.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:19:00 am by Plastic Basil »

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Hope you get this sorted, any travelling reds coming from London for the service would be the easiest solution.

The artwork itself looks absolutely amazing, a stunning piece of work.

It deserves to the seen and admired by as many fans as possible......we done to Hazem, and all involved in this project.

Hope it makes it to Anfield, I'm sure it will, have you tried to see if the rail service can deliver it ?
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
Have messaged someone who might be coming up from the area for blackburn. Mooro might also be a shout if anyone has his number.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline dorsetgill

• Legacy Fan
It looks brilliant.Good Luck hope all goes well

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
excellent that - respectfully done

I'm sure this will get up there

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Is this sorted yet-I am driving to the north west on tuesday-to near chester- and will be in liverpool wednesday latest.Assuming it fits into a car that is.
I am just 20 miles out of london to the north.
Someone pm me for contact details if needed.

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
Congrats & Best wishes, well played Aussie reds.  :wave
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
That's brilliant that mate. Well done to all concerned. I only wish I was going to Liverpool this weekend. I tell you what I can do though... go onto other sites and mention this. Surely someone on one of them who is going to the Blackburn game will see it.
Once again, hat's off. A fantastic gesture.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Pheeny

That is amazing  well done to all concerned.As has been mentioned anyone got in touch with Mooro or maybe Evo,I'm sure Peter knows someone coming up from London this weekend.

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Thanks boys for the best wishes.

It has been good at getting the message out there - unfortunately the Hillsborough story is not widely appreciated out here. Gerry did a couple of interviews out here on TV and in the press and each time mentioned Hillsborough! Top Red, that man!

It's been a real roller-coaster ride but somehow it will get there. It all started in a pub about 2 months ago. We were talking about Hillsborough - and amongst our group which included a couple of reds (and a guy who works with the artist). They were all appalled as we discussed it. A couple of days later I got a phone call from the artist's studio asking if I had any further info on the disaster. I spent a couple of hours putting together websites and descriptions and survivors tales... and we came up with this idea.

Unfortunately the artist had a window of opportunity before he flew to Egypt - so we had to move quickly. Despite everyone's best intentions, it took longer than we hoped and has become a last-minute scramble. But hey... that's half the fun.

Still so far so good - just one piece missing in the jigsaw....

One of the other lads is phoning National express to see if they'll take it up - but we were a little nervous about it going missing somewhere if it was sent unaccompanied.

Hope everyone likes it when it gets there - which it will.

cheers
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Is this sorted yet-I am driving to the north west on tuesday-to near chester- and will be in liverpool wednesday latest.Assuming it fits into a car that is.
I am just 20 miles out of london to the north.
Someone pm me for contact details if needed.

Thanks longtimered. It needs to be in Liverpool Tuesday morning (to get mounted on a wooden frame). At the moment its a medium sized parcel...

Thanks for offering.
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Have messaged someone who might be coming up from the area for blackburn. Mooro might also be a shout if anyone has his number.

Thanks for the assistance
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
That is amazing  well done to all concerned.As has been mentioned anyone got in touch with Mooro or maybe Evo,I'm sure Peter knows someone coming up from London this weekend.
I've been onto Evo mate. I just stuck a link up in a few other sites where I reckon it could get sorted. It probably will in here anyway. I wanted to go the Blackburn game, but I've got to be in London this weekend or I would have done it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:50:05 am by FAT SCOUSER »
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
I've been onto Evo mate. I just stuck a link up in a few other sites where I reckon it could get sorted. Probably will in here. I wanted to go the Blackburn game, but I've got to be in London this weekend or I would have done it.

cheers mate - thanks for going to that effort

(p.s. always like your posts - even when you're pissed!!!)
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
Thanks longtimered. It needs to be in Liverpool Tuesday morning (to get mounted on a wooden frame). At the moment its a medium sized parcel...

Thanks for offering.

I will be near chester by tuesday lunchtime-let me know if other options fail.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
What's the nearest tube to the hotel?

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite

I will be near chester by tuesday lunchtime-let me know if other options fail.

I'm embarrassed to say that my "local" geography is a little limited. Chester is very close isn't it? Presumably it wouldn't cost much to mini-cab/courier it to Liverpool?

I'm hoping that one of the London Reds is travelling up for the match tomorrow.

But, hey, thanks for offering - and I'm not saying no, yet. ;)
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
What's the nearest tube to the hotel?

Green Park is apparently 2 blocks away.
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan

(p.s. always like your posts - even when you're pissed!!!)
99.99% of the time then.
But came into say, I've phoned a mate who is driving up from Bournemouth in the early hours tomorrow morning. It would put about 3 to 4 hours on his journey, but he said, if nobody else can be found he will do it. I should have waited a bit longer to call, he'd have probably just said yes. He's a drunk an all and not at his best at this hour.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
Green Park is apparently 2 blocks away.

Sound. That's on the Victoria line isn't it? Check your PMs

Offline longtimered

• Kopite
I'm embarrassed to say that my "local" geography is a little limited. Chester is very close isn't it? Presumably it wouldn't cost much to mini-cab/courier it to Liverpool?

Offline longtimered

• Kopite

Chester is about 20 miles away-would meet your driver at some agreed midpoint.Let me know if needed.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
Sound. That's on the Victoria line isn't it? Check your PMs

Check your PM's Koparoo, just need the number of the fella who has it now and I think I've got someone to collect it and get it to Wallasey.

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
Absolutely stunning.
Great gesture
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
Amazing gesture, and a stunning tribute.  Well in Melbourne Reds.  YNWA.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
Evo has put a link up to this thread on OTK, sure he will be phoning round people now as we speak.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
What a fantastic piece of work.

FWIW, I am happy to take it from Chester to Anfield whenever required. Just let me know if you need me to.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Curly Tom

• Has no life.
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Anfield Shrine
Bollocks... I got a train from London to Liverpool last night... only just seen this thread...

"I lived my dream today, I lived it yesterday, and I'll be living yours tomorrow, anything else to say?"

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Bollocks... I got a train from London to Liverpool last night... only just seen this thread...

Cheers mate - it didn't arrive there until just now - so don't worry - and thanks anyway ;)
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
What a fantastic piece of work.

FWIW, I am happy to take it from Chester to Anfield whenever required. Just let me know if you need me to.

Thanks - it may be that's just what we need. Amazing how everyone is willing to help.

YNWA
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Evo has put a link up to this thread on OTK, sure he will be phoning round people now as we speak.

Great - thanks :D
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline Jonno

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • Malaysian Red And White Kopites
What a fantastic piece of work, great one Melbourne Reds...
"Son, every man on the street and in the pub has his own view about who should play where, his own team, so do I. The difference is, my team was put to the test time and again, yours weren't and will never be." Roy Evans to me in Kuala Lumpur.

Offline ladym98

• Main Stander
If this hasn't been sorted yet, I'm going to Liverpool for the game tomorrow from London. I'll be here (on and off) til about 8.30/9pm tonight and in central London by 10/10.30pm ish to get the overnight coach up from Victoria. Let me know if I can help   :)

Offline Koparoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
If this hasn't been sorted yet, I'm going to Liverpool for the game tomorrow from London. I'll be here (on and off) til about 8.30/9pm tonight and in central London by 10/10.30pm ish to get the overnight coach up from Victoria. Let me know if I can help   :)

Great - I've pm'ed you - thanks.
Adrian Tempany

... YNWA

Offline ladym98

• Main Stander
I've picked up your PM but can't message you back as I haven't posted enough on here to be able to send PMs  :-[ My email address should be on my RAWK profile, try that :)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarαs Solo.
Looks fantastic, what a lovely gesture. Hope you manage to get the transport sorted for it.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline MAL05

• Kopite
  • JFT96 - YNWA
Great gesture.

Anyone aware if this is sorted?  Cannot offer any assistance but really want to know if its going to get there, cause it needs to be.
.."I am only thinking of the next game"..

Offline ladym98

• Main Stander
Koparoo - have you found my email address.....?? It does sound like I can take it for you from your PM :)