Author Topic: Liverpool Legends, Part 3 - Terry McDermott. Moments/Memories.  (Read 7596 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Liverpool Legends, Part 3 - Terry McDermott. Moments/Memories.
« on: January 27, 2009, 03:24:24 am »
On the back of the John Barnes and Ray Kennedy threads

What a player, what an engine, what a fucking legend..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vOB7pcqBH-Y

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2UsarlBYhTQ

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
Re: Liverpool Legends, Part 3 - Terry McDermott. Moments/Memories.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 03:39:59 am »
Completely underrated.  Fantastic player who almost never gets mentioned on here.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 03:40:22 am »
Kirkby-born Terry McDermott was a tireless midfield performer for Liverpool and England, gifted with inordinate stamina and spectacular shooting power. But he took a long and winding route to Anfield via Bury, where he was an apprentice, and then Newcastle, whom he joined for £22,000 in 1973.

The following year he was on the losing side at Wembley when Liverpool toppled Newcastle 3-0 in one of the most one-sided post war FA Cup Finals. But McDermott did enough in defeat to exhibit his talents and the following November, by which time Bob Paisley had succeeded Bill Shankly as manager, Liverpool signed him for £170,000.

He took a while to claim a regular place but eventually became a key figure in the Liverpool 'engine room', his penetrating runs from deep positions blending perfectly with the differing skills of midfield colleagues such as Graeme Souness, Ray Kennedy and Jimmy Case.

He included some wonderful strikes in his 81-goal tally, including the opener in the 1977 European Cup Final, a long range effort against Everton in the same year's FA Cup semi final and one that crowned a magnificent pitch-length move in a 7-0 hiding of Tottenham in 1978. McDermott re-joined Newcastle for £100,000 in 1982, later becoming a coach.

Offline Indian Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Me gran played a blinder that night
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 03:46:21 am »
Some class chips there
My 6 word memoir: Got me education from the Kop

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:59:02 am »
Always seem to picture him scoring against tottenham or everton, and normally a cracker!  How many times did he win Goal of the season on MOTD?
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:00:11 am »
It seems strange to say that a guy who was double Footballer of the Year was underrated - but it's true.
He seems to be forgotten in the same way that Steve McMahon, the engine behind our last Championship, was eclipsed by the Barnes, Beardsley and the rest.

And I think Terry McDermott owed a lot of his success to another underrated player - Phil Neal.
Neal had an uncanny knack of hitting long, curling passes from the back and there, scampering out of nowhere, came Terry Mac to get on the end of it.
The two of them complemented each other perfectly.

royhendo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:15:03 am »
Not forgotten by me - he was incredible. One of my earlier footballing memories is of Terry Mac chipping a beautiful tight-angled finish over Jim Leighton away v Aberdeen in the 81 European Cup run. A bionic man who scored a regular supply of wondergoals. The ultimate box to box midfielder, no?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 07:19:18 am by royhendo »

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:42:53 am »
Wasn't the one against Spurs voted best goal at Anfield, the quick counter attack through Heighway, and the sublime cross for McDermott to head past Daines?

Again, think he's outshone by the real special players we had, but was a generally good technical player; some of those volleys - wow.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:52:49 am »
terry was a great player scored some great goals and some very important goals .

They are all easy to recall but i remember his two goals chalked off by Mr Pat Partridge in the 1978 league cup final and old trafford replay which were clearly good goals but chalked off for alleged hand ball we went on to lose the tie and lose the cup .

Plus his penalty miss at maine road in the 1979 semi final which would have given us a 2 goal lead , eventually losing the tie at goodison to that twat jimmy greenhoff and ending emlyn hughes career with it .

But he did win us more games great player with a great engine.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:03:00 am by mainstandred »

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 08:58:13 am »
They are all easy to recall but i remember his two goals chalked off by Mr Pat Partridge in the 1978 league cup final and old trafford replay which were clearly good goals but chalked off for alleged hand ball we went on to lose the tie and lose the cup .

Was the league cup final, the one where Kenny was offside? I think McDermott said he would take an oath of truth that he didn't handball the other one.

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 09:09:32 am »
Was the league cup final, the one where Kenny was offside? I think McDermott said he would take an oath of truth that he didn't handball the other one.
i thought they both got chalked off for hand ball but maybe off side in the first , few years back we played Carlisle in the f.a. cup either 89 or 90 anyway in the carpark at brunton park Mr Pat Partridge is standing there alone so we go over and ask him  to recall the games he admitted the second game ones the non hand ball and that john o'hare was outside the box when phil thompson tripped him but he could really remember the wembley decision wether it was handball or not .

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 12:40:41 pm »
It seems strange to say that a guy who was double Footballer of the Year was underrated - but it's true.

agree

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 01:21:18 pm »
I can't stop watching the first clip of the goal he scored in the 7-0 against Spurs. Look where he is at the start of the move when the ball gets cleared deep from our half. To get on the end that cross and finish like that took some doing..
Brilliant stuff..

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 01:23:26 pm »
goal he scored away to Spurs where he scooped the ball up and hit it on the volley was a peach....great player, mad bastard ;D

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 01:24:54 pm »
goal he scored away to Spurs where he scooped the ball up and hit it on the volley was a peach....great player, mad bastard ;D
That one's on the second youtube link I posted.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 01:30:08 pm »
That one's on the second youtube link I posted.
thanks...just watched it again, what a beauty

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 01:32:54 pm »
Fantastic player. His runs from deep were amazing, and scored some of the most memorable goals in our history.
 Aberdeen, Spurs 7-0, Spurs away, blueshite semi and of course our 1st ever goal in a European Cup final.
 Also remembered for pissing off a balcony onto a nurse below at the '77 homecoming (I think).

Offline daveyg

• Plain and Simple
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 02:05:37 pm »
Dont if any of the older one's can confirm this.

Remember me dad telling me a story about one homecoming McDermott was drunk and started peeing off the balcony of the town hall onto people below?

Might not have been common knowledge at the time he must just of been there when it happened.
14/08/04 -  THE START OF THE NEW RAFALUTION!

Offline Road End Sikh

• Anny Roader
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »

If I remember right Souness had a bet with Terry Mac that he would outscore him that season......he paid up after that goal, although it was about 10-0 to Mac anyway.

Forerunner to Ronnie Whelan......great player overshadowed by genius in the rest of the team. 
LFC    then   now   always

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 05:58:02 pm »

Remember me dad telling me a story about one homecoming McDermott was drunk and started peeing off the balcony of the town hall onto people below?

Might not have been common knowledge at the time he must just of been there when it happened.
He was as mad a box of frogs. I used to see him regularly in the She Club, Liverpool pissed as a fart, in his heyday, but it never stopped him being from being World class for us.

Offline jaydog

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 12:13:40 am »
Can't remember who it was against may have been a European game when he had some incident with an opposition player and the guy went down I think, But Paisley said to him in training the next day that guy must have smelt Terry macs breath.  Didn't Souness and Kenny used to have him regale them what he had got up to the night before, yet he still put the so called cream of England and Europe to shame with some of the most sublime displays and goals I've ever seen.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:51:53 am by jaydog »

Offline KTS

• Loves the mods so very much, especially on RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 12:57:11 am »

Yep, and the song 'Terry Mac pisses on nurses' was born I believe.

And that goal at White Hart Lane in the cup was a pearler. I was right behind it as it nestled in the net, from what I remember outside was one of the worst for violence, and even more so when we went back a few weeks later.
Has no opinion as it is normally wrong.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 01:12:54 am »
What a player. It's threads like this that make Rawk great.

Nice one Terry, great to see Terry Mac get the plaudits he deserves.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 02:35:30 pm »

And that goal at White Hart Lane in the cup was a pearler. I was right behind it as it nestled in the net, from what I remember outside was one of the worst for violence, and even more so when we went back a few weeks later.

One of the best goals I've seen. Followed by one of the worst trips home ever. Was like a scene from The Warriors - every cockney nutter seemed to be out that day.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 01:38:19 pm »
This thread deserves a bump. Threads like this are fantastic for educating the younger folk on here who might be interested in learning more about some of the truly
great players in our history of which Terry Mac certainly was one.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »
I was at Maine road for the the Semi in 1977 and witnessed his chip first hand - in amongst a load of bluenoses. One of the greatest goals I've ever seen. Totally sublime.

I was only 14 and had gone with me bluenose dad and a load of his bluenose mates in an old transit they used to take everywhere.

It was absolutely brilliant that day. Sittin in the back of the transit on the way back listening to them whinge on and on, but still being nice to the kid with them - even though I got threatened with being turfed out a few times.

Ifiradenabeenforthatfuckinwhelshref.....
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 04:11:50 pm »

Ifiradenabeenforthatfuckinwhelshref.....

;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 04:21:33 pm »
This thread deserves a bump. Threads like this are fantastic for educating the younger folk on here who might be interested in learning more about some of the truly
great players in our history of which Terry Mac certainly was one.

Agree with that - its a great read and view cheers Terry. He was before my time so only seen him from all the DVD and video footage "That's nice, that's McDermott and that's a goal" was one of my favourite pieces of commentary.

I remember back in the early 90's Cantona scored a bit of a screamer against Wimbledon I think and all and sundry were hyping it up. Watched MOTD with my dad who said dismissively, "Terry Mac did that years ago" (the Spurs volley). Sounds like a great character as well.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 04:28:56 pm »
He was before my time so only seen him from all the DVD and video footage "That's nice, that's McDermott and that's a goal" was one of my favourite pieces of commentary.

They don't say them like they used to!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 04:34:04 pm »
They don't say them like they used to!

Indeed not! Love all of Barry Davies' work from the 77 European Cup Final. I'm probably paraphrasing slightly but loved all these lines:

"Tommy Smith! What and end to a career"
"Vogts bit at him, and bit at him and bit too hard"
"And with such simplicity, the European Cup is won"

royhendo

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 04:40:18 pm »
This was wot I wrote for the draft selection thread a while back.

OK - next pick for me... Terry McDermott...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2UsarlBYhTQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2UsarlBYhTQ&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Reasons... a very early memory of mine is seeing McDermott score a wonder goal away at Aberdeen in the 80/81 European Cup. He had that little extra as a midfielder - something now lauded in Stevie G. He had drive, he was physical, he could run all day long, but on top of all that he was a footballer - a good passer and a team player, but with that extra notch of quality. Footballer of the Year in 1980, and scoring about 1 in 4 as a mainstay in the side that swept the club to its most successful period ever.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 07:19:43 pm »
This was wot I wrote for the draft selection thread a while back.

T'was your post that inspired me to start this thread mate.

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 07:22:48 pm »
an he loved his ale this lad by all accounts,  strange really despite him being a scouser, its newcastle he has the real passion for, loved him as a player.
strangely i remember him making a real blunder for england in the infamous norway defeat early 80s.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 07:36:51 pm »
Terry Mcdermott was class,he scored what is my favourite goal of all time- 1min18secs into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UsarlBYhTQ

Superb.

royhendo

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 07:40:08 pm »
Might watch that final tomorrow - the 77 one I mean. Superb :)