Author Topic: RAWK All-Time Draft Selection Thread  (Read 164012 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
lfcderek

Alf Arrowsmith.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Larry Lloyd

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Sorry mate but Larry is taken.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
Dominic Matteo

royhendo

Taking a risk here but Billy needs strikers so... second pick first...

Fore!

It's Craig Bellamy.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:25:34 am by royhendo »

royhendo

Late rethink on this one... I bet someone takes the fella I'm thinking about getting next time, but I reckon it's worth it in this case...

Willie Stevenson

I remember my old boy talking about him, and reading the stuff you read you get the impression of a player who fits the bill as the archetypal old-fashioned left half. I already have Ziege on the left and it's good to have a genuine legend of a player who not only has the defensive strength and tactical cuteness to deal with any zaniness on his part, but also a man who could use the ball, whose passing was excellent, and who also got forward in support of his forwards, who in my team's case will move the ball quickly and create a lot of space for runners to move into (hence why I was so keen on having Warky).

Not only that, if picks get scarce later on in the rounds, I can maybe ask Willie to do a shift in a few surrounding positions. There are some great midfielders available still, but this opens up a few possibilities - Rafa would have loved a player like this!

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Well done roy, I see you now have 4 players that I wanted :P

Ok here goes, my 2 picks are:

Stephen Warnock & Emile Heskey.

I'll add picks and a write up later, my connection is a bit slow at the moment
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Billy The Kid

Emile Heskey.

Stephen Warnock.

lfcderek                             

Emiliano Insúa.

Claire                                            

Paul Jones.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline lfcderek

• Palooka basher Go ed Del Boy lid. Your right to point out wear I am wrong. Deffo more derek than lfc.....
  • Legacy Fan
Having deeply (deeply!) regretted letting the oldest (?) LB picked so far, Gerry Byrne, slip through my fingers I’ll do a full 180 and grab the youngest.

I know that most on here feel that Emiliano Insúa has all the qualities necessary to make the LB slot his own for the next decade or more.
"Don't let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right."
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn`t learn something from him."
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan

Alan A'Court left midfield.

Alan A’Court gave loyal service to Liverpool Football Club from his 18th birthday, when he signed his first professional contract and throughout the twelve years that followed. 381 games and 63 goals are impressive figures that currently place him as number 27 on the list of those who have made most appearances for Liverpool. Joining the ageing side of the early 1950’s Alan endured the despair of relegation and the eight years that followed in the second division, before playing an integral part in Shankly’s side that gained promotion.

Interview with Alan at lfchistory.net
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:07:32 pm by Barney_Rubble »
87:13

Offline Superthing

• "power crazed, trigger happy, imbecile with no sense of reasoning..." who can he mean?...
  • Kopite
My 9th pick, and Completing my back four is a man who, while not to some peoples tastes, could not be faulted for sheer presence and power, when he tackled you you knew about it (just ask Andy Cole!)

Neil 'Razor' Ruddock

Ruddock made his Liverpool debut against Sheffield Wednesday at Anfield and set up one of the goals in a 2-0 win, then followed that up in his third game by scoring his first goal against Swindon Town.

His best moment from the 1993-94 season was scoring an equaliser in the 3-3 draw with Manchester United at Anfield, with a thumping header past Peter Schmeichel. In fact he did not know he had scored. After the game it transpired Ruddock was suffering from concussion and only realised afterwards what that goal had meant!

When Roy Evans took charge at Anfield, he used a different defensive formula with Ruddock playing as one of three centre halves and he looked more comfortable in this role.

He played his part in the club winning the Coca Cola Cup, when he played in the 2-1 win against Bolton Wanderers at Wembley.

However the following season he experienced what he called 'his worst moment in football,' when Roy Evans left him out of the FA Cup Final squad to face Manchester United at Wembley. His replacement was Phil Babb and Liverpool lost 1-0. They badly missed Razor's steel and fighting spirit and Evans later admitted he had made a mistake.

Razor was a player the opposition loved to hate. He had an incredible will to win, could hit some fantastic passes up field and was great in the air. He had a reputation as a troublemaker and was a tough character on the field. He broke both Andy Cole’s legs in a reserve match, but Ruddock claimed he had dived.

Ruddock and Hysen will make a formidable partnership at the back between them they have it all power, poise, tenacity, grace, they compliment each other perfectly!

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
Time I picked a keeper.

Having let all the well known good ones go, deliberately because I knew there were other great goalkeepers out there in our unglorious past,  I decided to do a bit of research which included talking to my old man and we both came up with the same name. Me from the perspective of having read stuff, him from having seen him play a bit and been around older people who watched him every week.

His brief factfile includes 338 appearances and although he conceded a lot of goals he played in a poor Liverpool side for 15 years. Riley was bought as an understudy for the great Elisha Scott and it wasn't until the end of the 1928/29 season that he could really call himself number 1.

Following the mighty Scott was a hard task for Riley but he managed to do so, proving himself to be a worthy successor. During a time that the Anfield club were not challenging for major honours and were even flirting with relegation, it was a lot to do with Riley's performances that ensured Liverpool would keep their top flight status.

Anyone described as a worthy successor to the GREAT Elisha Scott has to be a decent keeper so I give you South African born... Arthur Riley.

Get in !

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:20:46 pm by Shanks1965 »
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Stormtrooper

Albert Riera.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
Stig Bjornbye

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
gav-

Dirk Kuyt.

Sarge.

Chris Kirkland.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
I had a very nice tip from a source I won't name, but I'll go with

Djimi Traore

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Nigel Spackman

Versatile Midfielder who also played at center back..Phew... ;D

Another League championship winner for my team..

Versatile midfielder Nigel Spackman was signed by Kenny Dalglish from Chelsea for �400,000 midway through 1987 and went on to be a popular figure at Anfield.

He made his Reds debut as an impressive second half substitute in the 1987 Littlewoods Cup semi-final 3-0 win over Southampton at Anfield, and went on to start in the final which Arsenal won 2-1 at Wembley.

The following season saw Spackman make his mark at Anfield. With Ronnie Whelan injured, Dalglish turned to Spackman and he filled in admirably in the centre of midfield alongside Steve McMahon in that great team featuring John Barnes, Peter Beardsley and John Aldridge.

One of Spackman's finest games in a red shirt came in the 5-0 demolition of Nottingham Forest at Anfield in 1988, when he gave a performance of true determination and quality passing.

The following season saw 'Spackers' in and out of the team. With Ronnie Whelan back from injury, Spackman filled in a variety of roles including left midfield, right back and centre half. He enjoyed a particularly fine game in the Littlewoods Cup third replay 2-1 win over Arsenal at Villa Park.

He left Anfield without scoring a goal but he came close on numerous occasions. None more so than the 1-0 Anfield win over Manchester United in September 1988. On as a substitute for the injured McMahon, Spackman hit the post twice as he produced a brilliant individual display.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
My next pick and to almost complete my midfield
 is Jimmy Melia.

Jimmy Melia (born Liverpool, Merseyside, England on 1 November 1937) is a former English footballer who spent most of his career playing for Liverpool and went on to became a manager.
LFC league games/goals:  268 / 77
Total LFC games/goals:  286 / 79
Jimmy joined the Reds straight from St. Anthony's School[1] as a 15 year old, when manager Don Welsh saw the potential in the young schoolboy international's feet, he signed professional forms on his 17th birthday, 1 November 1954. He made his debut aged 18 on 17 December 1955 at Anfield in a 2nd Division fixture, Nottingham Forest were the visitors and came up against an in form Billy Liddell who scored a hat-trick in the 5–2 victory, Jimmy also scored his first goal for the club in the 48th minute, John Evans got the other.

Although Jimmy received rave reviews about his performance, Welsh held him back and brought him in to the set up slowly; it wasn't until the following season that he got a real run in the side starting 27 matches. Melia followed this up with a 36 match season scoring 10 goals; he had made his name and would be difficult to shift.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Bill Hicks.

Harry Kewell.

Fabio Aurileo

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My next pick to play on the left side of my midfield is Kevin Sheedy.

He might be better known as a blue but he possessed one of the most cultured
left foots in the game, a tremendously clever and tricky left sided winger/attacking midfielder.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Geoff Twentyman

Back four sorted.. :D

Standing 5ft 11ins he built his reputation as a forceful, spirited centre-half with his hometown club Carlisle, having been switched to No 5 by Bill Shankly when he took over as manager at Brunton Park. Shankly had moved on to Grimsby by the time Twentyman left for Anfield.

He made 184 senior appearances and scored 19 goals for Liverpool, where the presence of England capped centre-half Laurie Hughes and later Dick White, meant Twentyman switching to No 6.

He joined Ballymena United as player manager in 1959, nine months before Shankly arrived at Liverpool. But after Twentyman had spells at Carlisle, Morecambe and Penrith he was brought back to Liverpool by Shankly in 1967 as chief scout, proving instrumental in a string of crucial signings, including Ian Rush, Phil Neal and Alan Hansen. He was later chief scout for Glasgow Rangers.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
Ephraim Longworth

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Michael Thomas.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline gav-

• Main Stander
Sam Hardy

My goalie

The great England star was one of four celebrated international goalkeepers signed for Liverpool by the club's legendary secretary-manager Tom Watson, the others being Hardy's predecessor Teddy Doig and Kenny Campbell, both Scots, and Ireland's Elisha Scott. Little wonder that Liverpool's telegraphic address was "Goalkeeper, Anfield."

Hardy, who won 21 England caps in a 13-year span, was the first of a long line of top class keepers produced by Chesterfield, his hometown club from which he joined Liverpool for £500 in 1905, despite having conceded six goals to his promotion-bound new club in a league game earlier that year!

With Liverpool back in the top flight Hardy displaced Doig in the October of his first season at Anfield and his amazing anticipation and judgement was a key factor in the club sweeping to the League title. Unspectacular and nicknamed "Safe and Steady Sam" he had become a hero by the time he joined Aston Villa in 1912, having made 239 senior Liverpool appearances.

With Villa he collected two FA Cup winners medals and after joining Nottingham Forest he won a Second Division championship medal in 1922. Hardy's career spanned a remarkable 22-years before he retired through injury in 1925. A hotelier in Chesterfield, he died in 1966 aged 83 having lived to see Liverpool win the FA Cup for the first time a year earlier.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:13:52 pm by gav- »

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
Ronny Rosenthal

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
my 10th selection is my goalkeeper.

welcome aboard SCOTT CARSON

your job lad is to catch that ball between your teeth.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 07:54:38 pm by STORMTROOPER »

Offline Shanks1965

• SOS member 981
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 friends who we all miss...
Manager Tom Watson

Liverpool's longest serving manager, Watson's career spanned 19 years from 1896 to 1915. After winning promotion to Division One he was the first Liverpool manager to win the league title and also took the club to the first FA Cup final in 1914, some 51 years before we eventually won it. After we got relegated he successfully steered us back to the first division and was the first manager to win the 2nd division and the 1st division titles in sucessive seasons. He was a shrewd man in the transfer marke and was responsible for signing several great players including Elisha Scott and a testiment to what a great man and manager he was came when his former players helped to carry his coffin when he died aged 56.

He famously asked the Newcastle manager at halftime, when we were losing 5-2, not to let his side rub it in, only then to see us fight back to 5-5 and then grab a late winner.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 11:51:06 am by Shanks1965 »
Seen more titles than he can remember...

Offline Superthing

• "power crazed, trigger happy, imbecile with no sense of reasoning..." who can he mean?...
  • Kopite
Sheedy! You complete bastard! I was sure he was gonna sneak under the radar! I can't believe it!!  :no :no :no

I haven't even got a back up for left wing I was so confident!  :butt

Oh well, My next pick is a clever little player who I am sure would be a perfect foil for Senor Torres

Nick Barmby

Barmby started his career with Tottenham, playing three seasons there winning England recognition. He joined Middlesbrough at the start of the 1995-96 season for 6.25 million pounds. Only 14 months later he was on the move again this time to Everton. He was instrumental at the beginning of Hoddle's reign as England manager but injuries and loss of form resulted in him not appearing for England for three years but later made a return in the year 2000. Barmby's career was on the rise and the biggest decision of his football life beckoned.

Barmby made a courageous decision to move across Stanley Park, the first player since David Hickson in 1959 to be transferred from Everton to Liverpool. Barmby made a powerful start to his career and seemed quite an useful addition on the left side of midfield. His magnificent goal against Everton at Anfield made him an instant hero and the songs "He's red, he's white he's fucking dynamite and the "he scored against the Shite" - version echoed around Liverpool. Barmby scored in three consecutive European away games en route to the UEFA Cup success.

Nick Barmby who turned out for Liverpool the following season was another matter. He struggled to say the least to make an impression and Liverpool accepted Sunderland's bid for him in October 2001. Barmby persevered, denying Sunderland but the writing was on the wall and Leeds was his next destination in his much-travelled career. He only stayed two years at Leeds, including a month's loan spell at Nottingham Forest and went on a free to hometown club, Hull, on 8th of July, 2004. That proved to be a wise move as he has since been a key player in Hull's rise from League One to the Premier League in four years.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan

OK, time for another CMid.

I always liked Don Hutchison as a player, very under-rated. Here's a bit of his biog from .tv.

Midfielder Don Hutchison joined Liverpool in 1991 when Kenny Dalglish was impressed with a video performance of him playing for Hartlepool United, and paid £300,000 for the Geordie boy's services.

Hutchison was given his chance at Anfield by Graeme Souness in the 1991-92 season and made his league debut as a substitute against Notts County at Anfield in March 1992.

His best season was in 1992-93 when he scored 10 goals from midfield and made a big impression in a desperately disappointing season for Liverpool. Partnering another up and coming youngster Jamie Redknapp in midfield, those two carried the Liverpool team and complemented each other perfectly.

With Redknapp's passing skills, Hutchison added the drive, was a fierce competitor and could score goals.

For one reason or another season 1993-94 should have seen Hutchison make the midfield berth his own but it was another season of struggle for the Reds, and it was only in the final month of the season under new boss Roy Evans that 'Hutch' was back in favour.

One aspect worth noting is that he created Liverpool's last ever goal in front of the standing Kop, where he won a penalty against Ipswich Town which Julian Dicks scored.

Hutchison's days at Anfield were drawing to a close though in rather unfortunate circumstances. A much publicised incident in a city centre bar saw Hutchison sold by Roy Evans to West Ham in 1994 for £1.5 million.

87:13

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for updating Barney. :wave

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
lfcderek

Lucas Leiva

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
royhendo.

Billy Dunlop

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Damien Plessis.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
My next 2 picks are

Yossi Benayoun

Robbie Keane

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
royhendo 

Alex Raisbeck.

lfcderek 

Mike Marsh.

Y.N.W.A.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
One for the future, Martin Kelly.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!

Barney_Rubble -  right full-back, John Molyneux.

John Molyneux might have been the prototype for the popular image of a fifties full-back. Tall and solidly constructed, he was far removed from the modern breed of overlapping defender, but when it came to doing his primary job - keeping out the opposition - there could be few complaints about his work during his seven years at Anfield.

Indeed for six of those campaigns John was a first-team regular, performing with credit for three managers. Initially he served Don Welsh for nearly two seasons after arriving from Chester for £4,500, and then saw out the three-and-a-half year reign of Phil Taylor. But perhaps the greatest measure of his ability is that Bill Shankly was content for him to retain the right-back berth for 18 months, as the decade closed.

John's primary attributes were his strength in the tackle and an instinct for danger which made goal-line clearances a much-appreciated speciality.

© Liverpool - Player by Player (Ivan Ponting)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:13:47 pm by Barney_Rubble »
Y.N.W.A.

royhendo

100% thanks to Wooltonian for these two picks - Wooltonian's posts are one of the biggest treats you'll find on RAWK in my view... anyway...

Billy Dunlop

Wooltonian, having researched it in depth, describes him as "so like Tommy Smith it was untrue", and "a brick shithouse". A Scotland international and a multiple championship winner with Liverpool. Here's the Wooltonian write-up.

“Mr Consistent” an ever present in the early Liverpool sides. Scottish-born full-back Billy first appeared in the Liverpool team towards the end of the 1894-95 season.

Billy was best described as a cross between Tommy Smith and Steve Nicol from the reports I‘ve read. He was probably the original, The player can pass, the ball can pass, but never both together.

Billy was capable of playing either side as full back and therefore must be considered one of our earliest “Utility Players”.

In the first decade Billy played 173 times for Liverpool which was the original appearance record.

Billy had firmly established himself at Liverpool by the time Liverpool won their first-ever Division One title in 1901 and was still going strong when they repeated the feat 5 years later.

Alex Raisbeck

Raisbeck is number 49 in the "100 Players Who Shook The Kop" list, which is incredible given he played his football for us between 1898 and 1909. He captained club and country.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2006/oct/8/N153706061008-0859.htm

Wooltonian again...

Position : Centre Back
Appearances : 341
Goals : 20
Not surprising for our early years, I would have to nominate another Scot for my next choice.

A handsome Scot with his blond locks (probably the original Spice Boy) he was one of Liverpool's earliest stars, his career straddling the end of the 19th century and the start of the 20th. As captain he cut a dashing and imposing figure at centre half for club and country.

Although at a precisely recorded 5ft 9¾ins (and I thought it was only women who claim ½ inches) he was not the tallest of men. He weighed in at approximately 12 stone 12 7/8lbs and was a commanding defender, rated Britain's finest of his generation in his position.

A contemporary sportswriter said of him: "A man of Raisbeck's proportions, style and carriage would rivet attention anywhere. He is a fine and beautifully balanced figure".

With his fair hair and moustache Raisbeck's distinguished countenance made him one of football's first pin-up boys. (Christ I almost fancy him myself)

He was the first Liverpool skipper to lift the Championship trophy in 1901. He led them to a further title triumph in 1906.

Raisbeck was signed from Stoke City by Liverpool manager Tom Watson in 1898 for £350, then a considerable sum of money.

In an era when some players were unpaid Raisbeck earned the maximum weekly wage of £4. However, the club supplemented that sum by also giving him the job of bill inspector, overseeing the public hoardings and notice boards advertising Liverpool matches!

Can you see any of the current lot posting flyers ?

Beautiful he may have been, but the over-riding reason for my selection was his early captaincy of Liverpool to 2 league titles and his commanding presence at central defence.

Offline Superthing

• Kopite
My 10th pick is clever player who can pass the ball as well as anyone....

Son of Brian, Nigel Clough arrived at Anfield in the summer of 1993 from Nottingham Forest for �2 million and was seen by Graeme Souness as the ideal partner for Ian Rush.

Clough had matured into a fine player at Nottingham Forest and was seen as the perfect Liverpool player because he could pass the ball, had a good footballing brain and could score goals. He was unfairly dubbed the 'new Kenny Dalglish', even inherited the famous number seven shirt, and expectations of him on the Kop were high.

He made a sensational start to his Reds career when he bagged a brace on his Liverpool debut in a 2-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday at Anfield. His first goal was a spectacular effort drilled into the roof of the net. He scored in his next game in a 3-1 win at Queens Park Rangers and added another in his second game at Anfield, although Liverpool lost 2-1 to Tottenham Hotspur.

After a below par performance in the 2-0 defeat by Everton at Goodison Park, Clough lost his place in the side to an up and coming striker by the name of Robbie Fowler.

Clough then settled into a midfield role and it was in that role that he enjoyed probably his best moment in a Red jersey, scoring twice to help Liverpool come from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 with Manchester United at Anfield in January 1994.

When Roy Evans took over as Liverpool manager Clough found himself restricted to a bit part role and after becoming a regular substitute he eventually moved on to Manchester City.

Nigel Clough had something of an unfortunate time at Anfield. When he arrived Graeme Souness declared the capture as the perfect partner for Ian Rush but he was a victim of circumstances with Fowler making his breakthrough, and it would be fair to say Reds fans didn't really see the best of Clough.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Shanks1965.

Phil Taylor

Y.N.W.A.