Author Topic: Are you concerned about Man City?  (Read 14497 times)

Offline edge275

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Are you concerned about Man City?
« on: November 28, 2008, 07:15:21 pm »
Man city fan here in peace.

I'm interested to hear what Liverpool fans feel regarding the new found spending power City now have.

We now have money that makes Roman look like an orphan and the owners aren't afraid to spend it.

We all know five teams doesn't go into four Champions league places, so I feel one of the current 'top 4' will drop out, currently that would be Arsenal.

It's well documented Liverpool haven't won the league in 20 years is it? (It's been over 30 years for us so I feel your pain). Any (sane) Liverpool fan you speak to would prioritise the league over anything else, so surely it must be a concern that soon city will be joining the frey?

If the arabs decided to put in a 60 million bid for Torres would you trust your American owners to refuse it? What if they went totally mad and put an 80 million bid for Gerrard and promised him £250,000 a week? It's hard for the mind to conceive of this, but the owners are worth 500 billion pound.

I am not trying to cite a flame war here, as no matter what happens we can't control what the clubs do, I am merely pointing out what is on the cards (not the Gerrard and Torres bids, but the money).

Whilst I'm aware it may take a few years to get into the elite, and I'm certainly not saying we will be winning the title every year with unlimited cash, but are you not concerned that we can bid any amount for any player, and according to reports the owners are willing to pay a player £500,000 a week if necessary. If you signed a 5 year deal it's worth over 125 million pounds.

I am trying my best to not come across as threatening or hostile here, but shouldn't you guys be worried?

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Are you concerned about Man City?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:17:19 pm »
We have bigger things to worry about than your new owners mate.
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

Offline axlrose

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 07:17:49 pm »
not for this and not for the next season. after that anything can happen

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 07:23:04 pm »

Unless you're gonna pay stupid money wages, as with Robinho (160 thou a week? not to mention pissing off the others in the squad on far far less), you'll have a job attracting the really top players until you're in the Champions League, and even then there are at least 3 clubs that players would probably prefer to go to.

And I don't care how much money City's owner has got, he still couldn't afford Torres.

shouldn't you guys be worried?

:mooncat
87:13

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:24:29 pm »
Nope bucket loads of cash dosen't always work out yes chelsea is a success story but they were a 5th/ 4th placed team before the money was invested and had secured a champions league place the season before which attracted many players , i cant for the life of me understand why estiblished world class players would want to waste 2-3 years at man city who struggle to finish in the top 10 curently ,waiting for them to rebuild and become a major force, robinho was a one off as he was so desperate to leave madrid he would have even gone hull if it meant getting away from madrid, your best bet is to sign players who have the potential to be world class and will progress at the club.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:27:39 pm by slickman »

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 07:26:24 pm »
I was gonna say that you can't polish a turd, but Chelsea have done quite well. Don't think you'll achieve much until you get a top manager though - I recommend Juande Ramos

Offline edge275

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 07:26:56 pm »
Unless you're gonna pay stupid money wages, as with Robinho (160 thou a week? not to mention pissing off the others in the squad on far far less), you'll have a job attracting the really top players until you're in the Champions League, and even then there are at least 3 clubs that players would probably prefer to go to.

And I don't care how much money City's owner has got, he still couldn't afford Torres.

Picture this, a fax comes through to the office and Hicks picks it up. It states our bid of 100 million for Torres. He reads it and passes it to Gillett, they sit down for discussion. Would you be confident they'd tell our owner to piss off?

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 07:28:47 pm »
Picture this, a fax comes through to the office and Hicks picks it up. It states our bid of 100 million for Torres. He reads it and passes it to Gillett, they sit down for discussion. Would you be confident they'd tell our owner to piss off?

You'd still have to convince the player though. As proven with Berbatov - you can't attract everyone by throwing silly money around. Berbatov didn't even consider meeting Mark Hughes

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 07:29:18 pm »

I would be confident that Fernando would tell them to piss off.

How many of these 100 million superstars will you attract? What price will the fans the pay? We learnt too well that everything comes at a price.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:29:39 pm »

Theres not much anyone can do about that to be honest.

But that doesnt mean were worried about Man City. They would then be just another team to beat, like Chelsea were and are since Roman arrived.

Despite Roman arriving, not a single player who is the best in the world played for Chelsea and I think the same will be the case for Man City.

Good luck though

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 07:29:45 pm »

Would you be confident they'd tell our owner to piss off?

Not 100%, but I'm 150% certain Torres would tell your owner to piss off.

Some things NO amount of money can buy.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 07:30:55 pm »
Man city should focus on finding young talents who are fairly expensive but have the potential all the estiablished stars would tell them to piss off in my opnion.

Offline ftsglfc1986

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 07:33:14 pm »
I fear they are going to kill the beautiful game. If they ever qualify for the champs league thats when we should worry.
SoccerManager European set up = Inter Milan
SoccerManager Whizz's set up = Tottenham
I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 07:35:17 pm »
I fear they are going to kill the beautiful game. If they ever qualify for the champs league thats when we should worry.

The Champions League already killed the beautiful game

Offline Nando-On-Fire

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 07:36:20 pm »
Man city fan here in peace.

I'm interested to hear what Liverpool fans feel regarding the new found spending power City now have.

We now have money that makes Roman look like an orphan and the owners aren't afraid to spend it.

We all know five teams doesn't go into four Champions league places, so I feel one of the current 'top 4' will drop out, currently that would be Arsenal.

It's well documented Liverpool haven't won the league in 20 years is it? (It's been over 30 years for us so I feel your pain). Any (sane) Liverpool fan you speak to would prioritise the league over anything else, so surely it must be a concern that soon city will be joining the frey?

If the arabs decided to put in a 60 million bid for Torres would you trust your American owners to refuse it? What if they went totally mad and put an 80 million bid for Gerrard and promised him £250,000 a week? It's hard for the mind to conceive of this, but the owners are worth 500 billion pound.

I am not trying to cite a flame war here, as no matter what happens we can't control what the clubs do, I am merely pointing out what is on the cards (not the Gerrard and Torres bids, but the money).

Whilst I'm aware it may take a few years to get into the elite, and I'm certainly not saying we will be winning the title every year with unlimited cash, but are you not concerned that we can bid any amount for any player, and according to reports the owners are willing to pay a player £500,000 a week if necessary. If you signed a 5 year deal it's worth over 125 million pounds.

I am trying my best to not come across as threatening or hostile here, but shouldn't you guys be worried?

You obviously haven't read any of the interviews torres had done over that past month.

even if our owners accepted a bid for torres he wouldn't go anywhere.

and gerrard to city? lol now i know your not being serious you couldn't be.

Offline Walking Through A Storm

• Kopite
  • Forward the Rafalution!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 07:37:42 pm »
Not a chance until/if you make a Champions League qualification spot. That's the difference between you and Chelsea, they were thereabouts if not challenging when bought, but you are a poor team at present to be honest. Still, best of luck to you, espiecially this weekend. ;)

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 07:41:12 pm »
Try getting in to the top ten, above Middlesbrough and Fulham, before you concern yourselves with getting in to the top 4.

Walk before you run, so to speak.

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 07:43:32 pm »
You need a very strong spine to the team.
Out of everybody there I'd say only Ireland would stay in a title contending team.

Dunne was never top draw, Richards makes too many mistakes (but makes up for them with his pace going back to mop up these mistakes) but ultimatley can be got at.
Kompany looks a good buy but for a top draw defensive midfielder (a title challenging one) he needs to have a work-rate ten fold of that he currently has, and a bit better ball distribution.

As I've said Ireland would probaly stay, he's ever improving but is he of the standard of Gerrard, Fabregas, Ronaldo, or fat Frank? No he's not even half as good being honest.

Up front you need a strong man who can finish, the Mancs (not you lot) have Berbatov, we have Torres (criminally under-rated in his hold up play), Chelsea have Drogba.

You also need a top class manager, Mark Hughes isn't it.  He's a good man-manager but his tactical set ups are too traditionalist to challenge from match to match.  I can't see Hughes "outthinking" many, success will come in spite of his rigid tactical set-up and not because of it.

Ultimatley you're in a good position to build but unlike Chelsea the foundations aren't in place.  Having a good academy that produces top talent does not equate to having a wolrd class squad (as Arsenal show) as good as Richards, Sturridge, Johnson, etc. are I don't reckon they're top draw and will ultimatley need replacing.

You need to spend alot of money on top-class talent.  The hard part will be convincing the big names to come to Man City.  The danger is you buy whoever is on the market for big money and they turn out to be flops - I reckon Podolski could easily turn out to be one fo these "danger buys" should you get him, as Jo looks to have been as well.

Whoever says money doesn't buy success is wrong, it does.  But with relying on a rich foreigner you're leaving yourselves very exposed should he walk away - as the arse twitching when Shinawatra was convincted shows.
It's not going to happen by the end of this season though, ro next season.  Give it 5 years and you'll be a certainty in the Champions League spots should the investment continue.

As a Liverpool fan am I worried about Man City overtaking us?
No, by the time Man City could come close to achieving what we have then all of the oil in the world would have run out anyway and we'll be driving hydrogen powered cars.

Getting your spine in order is step one.
Look at Villa - Friedel, Davies, Laursen, Barry, Reo-Coker, Agbonlahor, Carew.
The spine gives you a platform to build, that's why Villa are challenging Arsenal for 4th.

If you want to go on and challenge the league you have to get the periphery sorted - like us bringing in Riera, Babel, players who become important but aren't the primary concern. The difference between us and Villa is that our periphery is excellent (Aurelio, Arbeloa, Babel, Riera, Kuyt) whereas they onyl really have Ashley Young.

To win the league you have to have a great squad, players who can come in when injuries strike and fill in just as well.  This is still the part where Chelsea and the Mancs (not you lot) are still ahead of us, they can spend 10 million on the likes of Nani and never play him, Chelsea 11 million on Ivanovich, whereas we have Benayoun.

After all that you're relying on your manager to keep these players happy and use them in the best way.

So for you to be successful first you have to get a very good spine, then sort out the periphery, then have excellent squad players and finally make sure the right man is in charge.
At the minute you're nowhere near even step one, you;re still looking up at Hull City.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:28:28 pm by Degs »

Offline edge275

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 07:46:47 pm »
You obviously haven't read any of the interviews torres had done over that past month.

even if our owners accepted a bid for torres he wouldn't go anywhere.

and gerrard to city? lol now i know your not being serious you couldn't be.

You forget he was a few death threats away from joining Chelsea, a London team. Look where money got them.

I'm sure Torres has stated he loves Liverpool, but lets be honest here, he's born in Spain and supports Atletico Madrid. I'm aware Liverpool is a worldwide brand but if he would be given the opportunity of great success at City with a nice 250k a week to go with it, are you seriously naive to think it might not come off?

Kaka was talking about Man city the other day, and said he would love to play in the same team as Robinho, Jo and Elano.

Buffon has basically said if the figures he's hearing about are real, he'll happily pack his bags and come, of course, with the customary 250k a week package as well.

Once a few world stars join up, with the already signed Robinho (in one day) it becomes a snowball and more and more players are wanting to join. We would then have everything to offer, except prestige.

We have no history of winning anything in the last 30 years, and that is the only downfall we'd have when it comes to offering, as well as Champions league for at least two years. You guys are already successful, the most prestige in the premier league, but not much spending power.

January is going to be very interesting indeed, and I will certainly come back to this thread and ask if you're concerned on January 31st. Next summer though, there'll probably be spending never before seen.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 07:47:53 pm »
Are you concerned about Man City?

No, not in the least.

But please, feel free to beat Man U this weekend
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 07:51:55 pm »
You need to get the best out of the players you have first. Swapping Kompany between right midfield and centre back? Not playing Onuoha? Not playing Geovanni?

Two years ago you had one of the best centre half partnerships in the league in Dunne and Distin, but you refused to supplement them by sorting out your midfield and full backs. Going for the 'we'll score one more than you' approach is all well and good, but you don't have any defensive stability whatsoever. If you signed another striker to play instead of Jo (£19 million worth of what, really??) and scored 5 a game, you'd still concede 6.

I like watching city for the same reason I like watching Spurs and (on the most part) Newcastle - fluid going forwards but comical at the back. That's a mindset, not easily solved by replacing a centre half. Just ask Newcastle.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 07:53:44 pm »
It will be interesting to see what happens this summer and what type of names they will attract.

If they get a couple more signings in the robinho bracket then it will certainly spice things up.

But until they get a CL spot I can't see them getting the very best players.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 08:08:08 pm »
You forget he was a few death threats away from joining Chelsea, a London team.

And this is where i say i hope you fucking go down & stay down until you stop believing everything you fucking read/hear in the boozer..

Chelsea a London team with only maybe Arsenal to compete when players want to head to London..

Man City a 2nd rate team from the N.W who will never be able to compete for the players who choose the NW over London.

You will get the players who are heading over the hill though as the teams who compete don't want them and would never pay the stupid fucking money you look like spending.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:12:23 pm by SallyCinnamon »
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 08:12:15 pm »
You forget he was a few death threats away from joining Chelsea, a London team. Look where money got them.

I'm sure Torres has stated he loves Liverpool, but lets be honest here, he's born in Spain and supports Atletico Madrid. I'm aware Liverpool is a worldwide brand but if he would be given the opportunity of great success at City with a nice 250k a week to go with it, are you seriously naive to think it might not come off?

Kaka was talking about Man city the other day, and said he would love to play in the same team as Robinho, Jo and Elano.

Buffon has basically said if the figures he's hearing about are real, he'll happily pack his bags and come, of course, with the customary 250k a week package as well.

Once a few world stars join up, with the already signed Robinho (in one day) it becomes a snowball and more and more players are wanting to join. We would then have everything to offer, except prestige.

We have no history of winning anything in the last 30 years, and that is the only downfall we'd have when it comes to offering, as well as Champions league for at least two years. You guys are already successful, the most prestige in the premier league, but not much spending power.

January is going to be very interesting indeed, and I will certainly come back to this thread and ask if you're concerned on January 31st. Next summer though, there'll probably be spending never before seen.
Yes your gonna be the bestest..team in the worlds.. your gonna have 11 world class players purchased for 1 billion pounds each who will all be paid 550 million a year.. tickets price will be increased to £10,000 pounds a game and all your fans will lose touch with the club...there happy

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 08:15:19 pm »
I'd be more concerned about Man City if I was a Man City fan..
The difference between your lot and Chelsea is that Chelsea had a fair few decent players, and fairy good team spirit before the Russian fella came in waving his cheque book. So they had something to build on. I don't think City have that, or a manager who could do what Maureen did with Chelsea..

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 08:17:39 pm »

Chelsea had a fair few decent players, and fairy good team spirit

Quoted, for posterity, and for the infantile nature of the changed meaning... ;D

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 08:19:07 pm »
Quoted, for posterity, and for the infantile nature of the changed meaning... ;D

Hahaha!!! I'm going to leave it like that.. ;D

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 08:23:57 pm »
Not even in the slightest bit worried about City, to be honest.

First you have to persuade players that the North West is better than London.

Then you have to persuade them that there really are two teams in Manchester.

Then you have to persuade them to join you over us or United.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2008, 08:26:22 pm »
City are a big joke

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2008, 08:29:30 pm »
It would be foolish to totally write off City, because, as was mentioned, money can buy success, and you've got a shitload of it.  But that money means nothing if players don't want to go.  How many really top-draw players have Chelsea signed?  I mean real, genuine superstars?  Ballack on a free perhaps.  And Shevchenko maybe (look how well that turned out).  And, as others have mentioned, Chelsea were a much more attractive proposition:  London club already in the Champions League.

Your new found wealth has to be respected, but I'm hardly shitting myself yet.  Also, and please don't take this the wrong way,  but you're Man. City.  If there's a way to fuck it up, you'll find it. 

Offline edge275

• Main Stander
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2008, 08:34:20 pm »
I am amazed that hardly any of you are concerned. How can you not be bothered about a club being taken over by owners with unlimited money when you have aspirations of winning the title?

I am not saying this because the shoe is on the other foot, but if I was a Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or even *shudders* a Man U fan I'd be very concerned about it.

Look at it this way, if we put in a 100 million bid for Torres, the owners accepted but Torres told us to piss off, how do you think Torres would feel knowing they accepted a bid for him? Would it unsettle him? Would he then say "Well if you're willing to sell me, fuck you then, I'm going to join Man City"

Whilst currently it's almost insane to think of the words Torres and Man City joined together, money talks. If there's a host of other world class stars already here, it may just turn his head, the same with any other player in the world.

Apparently, on the last day of the season City made 300 million euro worth of bids on a number of players, and the owner said City would've got them all but didn't have enough time.

At first, we may have to sign unsettled/mercenary yet world class stars. such as Tevez, maybe Drogba.

But there's no denying if the owners are willing to spunk this amount of money on players and wages, it'd be almost impossible not to finish in the top 4 in a few years.

Whilst I'm well aware we have our current problems, and I don't rate Hughes personally (and not because of the scum connection) with the amount of money we're talking about being spent it's almost impossible not to challenge.

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sky Sports - It's shite
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2008, 08:34:28 pm »
I think Man U and Arsenal are probably more concerned atm but yes, given time, City could break the top 4 or make it a 5 with one of those clubs missing out on CL qualification now and then. But arthur sarnoffs final line in his post would make me more worried if I was City fan.......

Cups For Cock-Ups anyone?
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2008, 08:34:36 pm »
If they're able to wave astronomical sums of money at certain players, well, don't be shocked if players flock to City. I'm sure the footballing world (players and agents anyway) are looking at Robinho's salary with raised eyebrows.

Offline Smiling Politely

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2008, 08:37:00 pm »
Not particularly. Good luck Sunday though. :)

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2008, 08:38:13 pm »
I am amazed that hardly any of you are concerned. How can you not be bothered about a club being taken over by owners with unlimited money when you have aspirations of winning the title?

I am not saying this because the shoe is on the other foot, but if I was a Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or even *shudders* a Man U fan I'd be very concerned about it.

Look at it this way, if we put in a 100 million bid for Torres, the owners accepted but Torres told us to piss off, how do you think Torres would feel knowing they accepted a bid for him? Would it unsettle him? Would he then say "Well if you're willing to sell me, fuck you then, I'm going to join Man City"

Whilst currently it's almost insane to think of the words Torres and Man City joined together, money talks. If there's a host of other world class stars already here, it may just turn his head, the same with any other player in the world.

Apparently, on the last day of the season City made 300 million euro worth of bids on a number of players, and the owner said City would've got them all but didn't have enough time.

At first, we may have to sign unsettled/mercenary yet world class stars. such as Tevez, maybe Drogba.

But there's no denying if the owners are willing to spunk this amount of money on players and wages, it'd be almost impossible not to finish in the top 4 in a few years.

Whilst I'm well aware we have our current problems, and I don't rate Hughes personally (and not because of the scum connection) with the amount of money we're talking about being spent it's almost impossible not to challenge.

I don't think our owners are the reason he wants to be here. So I don't think that would unsettle him very much.

Oh and, if you are buying from us and the other top 4 clubs, that gives them/us the ability to strengthen their/our team(s) further than they/we do every summer.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:47:28 pm by Ackbaria »

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2008, 08:39:08 pm »
Didn't we hear all this when Shinawatra turned up?
And closer to home when Hicks and Gilette turned up?

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2008, 08:40:41 pm »
Personally, I think Manchester City fans are turning into the asshole fans of the Premiership.  That's saying a lot thinking they might put themselves above Chelsea fans.  It just proves how much greed corrupts and twists the minds of the fans.

You asked the question about our owners accepting a bid for Torres.  I may not like our owners, but even I don't think they'd be that stupid to sell off one of the jewels in our crown.  He's worth his weight enough with regard to the prestige to the club.  How he can attract new fans to the club, which ends up in more merchandise being sold.  Every interview he does, it enhances the image of the club, the people and the city. 

Some players value goes beyond what you see on the pitch.

As for Gerrard, he'll just tell them to fuck off!  The window of opportunity to lure Steven away has long gone.  Chelsea came close, but even that didn't lure him in the end. 

I find it funny that your raving about Buffon.  If the guy was in the prime of his career, then I doubt he'd give you the time of day.  Though, as it goes, he's almost at the end of it.  I'm sure I read somewhere that he's suffering from chronic back problems.  If I was him, I'd think too fucking right, I'll have a bit of that pie.  Take my huge pay cheque while I spend my time sat on my arse on the bench, thankyou very much, and good night.

It was only down to luck that you got Robinho.  The day before, he did his press conference telling the world he wanted to leave Real.  Real wanted rid of him, but didn't want to sell him to potential European rival in Chelsea.  Then suddenly, in the last few hours City came in with a ludicrous offer, and Real said thanks very much.  The poor fella had no idea where he was off too.  The rumour was he thought he'd signed for either Chelsea or United.

Right now, the only good thing I can see City good for, is CM9.  Where they will pay astronimical fees for average players, and a bit of a cash cow in the game.

Though after saying all of that.  Good luck on Sunday, and hoping you go down.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2008, 08:41:54 pm »

That nutjob that was spouting all the crap, some DR. or some shit? Where's he now?

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2008, 08:42:21 pm »

I don't think Messi, Ronaldo, Torres, Kaka et al will be flocking to the fight for a top ten finish mate.

If Manchester City start finishing in the top six more regularly than Everton or Portsmouth then I'll start worrying.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2008, 08:44:06 pm »
I was gonna say that you can't polish a turd, but Chelsea have done quite well. Don't think you'll achieve much until you get a top manager though - I recommend Juande Ramos
:lmao
Weren't you a fan of Ramos back in the day? How things change quickly...