The Liverpool FC Forum > General Football and Sport

Footballer jailed over blackmail

Pages: (1/3) > >>

SP:

Footballer jailed over blackmail

A former Manchester City youth team goalkeeper has been jailed for 20 months for blackmailing a Premier League footballer over sexual images.

Goalkeeper Ashley Timms, 22, of Middleton, Greater Manchester, admitted making unwarranted demands with menaces on the unnamed player.

Manchester Crown Court heard the blackmail took place between March and April this year.

Timms demanded £15,000, threatening to publish the images if he was not paid.

Manchester Crown Court heard how the blackmail victim, known only as Witness A, received a number of threats over the sexual images.    

--- Quote ---The abuse of your friendship for simple greed is an aggravating feature

Judge Andrew Gilbart

--- End quote ---

David Friesner, prosecuting, said there was a "long protracted series of text messages that culminated in the offence".

Passing sentence, Judge Andrew Gilbart said: "Blackmail always calls for a custodial sentence.

"The abuse of your friendship for simple greed is an aggravating feature.

"This was a calculated attempt to extract money for your own benefit."

House deposit

David Friesner, prosecuting, told the court Timms and the player were friends.

He videoed the footballer having sex with a 19-year-old woman last September.

But he became excluded from the footballer's world, and contacted him "out of the blue" in March.

The court heard Timms wanted £15,000 to put a deposit on a house and told the player he could "buy" the sex footage and then destroy it.

The player contacted officials at his club and a meeting was called.

During the meeting, Timms said: "What's it worth? I want thousands."

Footage not recovered

Timms hinted he could "lose" the phone in a taxi - and the footage might end up on the internet.

Police were called and Timms was arrested in April.

The video footage was never recovered and a laptop computer showed Timms had done searches on "How to sell sex videos".

In a statement, the player said: "It has really made me feel I can't trust anyone and I feel quite insecure and if I meet anyone now, I constantly feel they're after my money."

Rob Kearney, mitigating, said Timms was seen as a potential Premier League footballer after signing for Manchester City and lived "the high life".

Timm's career faltered and he is currently without a club.

'Fantasy life gone'

Mr Kearney said: "The fantasy life he dreamed of was gone. He experienced difficulty accepting that.

"He was hanging on desperately to his dream."

Timms played with Manchester City's under-19 side and had spells at Shrewsbury Town and Accrington Stanley.

He has also had trials at Norwich City, Bolton Wanderers, Fulham, Oldham Athletic and Macclesfield Town.

He joined non-league Cambridge City in January on non-contract terms but has now left.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/manchester/7599525.stm

Manila Kop:

The ordeal upset the player's form, Mr Friesner said.

In a victim impact statement, he said: "It has really made me feel I can't trust anyone and I feel quite insecure and if I meet anyone now, I constantly feel they're after my money."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/goalkeeper-jailed-for-sex-video-blackmail-920192.html

toga:

The sentence seems to me to be very harsh for an offence that seems to have involved no violence and (in terms of premiership wages) a very modest amount of money. Would 20 months have been the sentence if the protagonists were 2 men on average wages and the amount involved was £150?

If the player is who I think it is, the extent to which his reputation would have been damaged if the 'threat' had been realised is questionable. The victim impact statement seems to lay it on just a little thick.

Bootle:

Tell you what, don't let your mate film you while you fuck some 19 year old, then you won't have any problem will you? Just another thick footballer thinking its all roastings, high fives and a big wage packet. Fuck him, I hope it comes out.

kevindublin:

are we allowed to speculate as to the identity of the person being blackmailed?

Pages: (1/3) > >>

Go to full version