Author Topic: Dubai Takeover Back On Perhaps?  (Read 153957 times)

Offline ShanksLegend

• Spirit Of Shankly RTK
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool FC is an institution not a business
Dubai Takeover Back On Perhaps?
« on: September 1, 2008, 07:10:54 pm »
Hope this cheers a few people up...

The Americans are back talking to DIC, DIC are in the process of reapproaching us with an increase to their previous offer that brings it alot more closer to what the yanks want.

Both Hicks and Gillett will listen to the offer and are now willing to sell as they realise they are now at a dead end and can take the club no further.

This is the first time Hicks has considered selling, and he has informed DIC of his desire providing the offer meets his needs.

This was all going on back end of last week by the way. 

Offline Liverbird 2010

• but you can call me....likes to giggle a lot but only if it's about fellatio
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Dubai Takeover Back On Perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: September 1, 2008, 07:21:20 pm »
You dont have to answer this Shanks but has this got to do with the stadium being cancelled?
FOOTBALL IS A LIE! RAFAEL BENITEZ :-)

Offline liddellpool

• Kopite
  • Tuned to a natural E.
« Reply #2 on: September 1, 2008, 07:22:59 pm »
I suspect this is last chance saloon.

The Americans can play hardball...but all the cards are in DIC hands.

If they can't pull this one off now, I can't see them staying.

Interesting that Amanda Staveley brokered the City deal.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: September 1, 2008, 07:24:10 pm »
You dont have to answer this Shanks but has this got to do with the stadium being cancelled?

I would imagine that may have been the straw that broke the back of the camel.  If they were knocked back for funding then they were caught in a cul-de-sac.

Can only hope this is true and it goes somewhere this time.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #4 on: September 1, 2008, 07:26:15 pm »
great news shanks, heard there were talks earlier, but was not certain, now hearing it from a mate and from you Im confident it is happening

lets hope they can get the right offer in.

Offline ShanksLegend

• Spirit Of Shankly RTK
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool FC is an institution not a business
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2008, 07:29:30 pm »

Yeah defo, I think they've just accepted the club is better elsewhere and hence the stadium cancellation so someone else can take on the challenge.

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2008, 07:32:45 pm »
Yeah defo, I think they've just accepted the club is better elsewhere and hence the stadium cancellation so someone else can take on the challenge.

Seems a good exit strategy, using their PR firm they will make out that they love the club, want what is best for us etc etc etc.

While all the time they've screwed us and taken a fortune that could have purchased half a world class team.
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 1, 2008, 07:34:04 pm »

With all due respect, I don't think that's the reasons. I think they've realised that they can't squeeze us for anything/as much as they like. I don't think for one flying second that they care for the club.

My thoughts
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #8 on: September 1, 2008, 07:35:18 pm »
Seems a good exit strategy, using their PR firm they will make out that they love the club, want what is best for us etc etc etc.

While all the time they've screwed us and taken a fortune that could have purchased half a world class team.

I said when it happend, the very day, that Hicks would use it as an exit strategy

he will blame it on his partner no doubt

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #9 on: September 1, 2008, 07:38:45 pm »
Hopefully this amounts to something quickly. However, I would hate to see DIC waste more money than they should in order to buy out these idiots; money that could be used toward the stadium/transfers etc

Offline DaveLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 1, 2008, 07:45:09 pm »
Hopefully this amounts to something quickly. However, I would hate to see DIC waste more money than they should in order to buy out these idiots; money that could be used toward the stadium/transfers etc

Well although the fans will be wary, they'll also be bloody ecstatic about it, worth a fortune in PR for Dubai Holdings.

It could explain why Rafa has stayed tight lipped, why the Barry deal was put on hold (We'll be back for him and we all know it) and why he didn't put in a transfer request.

I don't really want to get excited about this, but thanks for the news SL
The consequences of rejecting reality are not immediate but they are inevitable

Offline serpico

• Kemlynite
« Reply #11 on: September 1, 2008, 07:47:06 pm »
Thank you so much ShanksLegend. Feel free to ignore this.. but do you have any sense of the timescale involved ?

Offline LukeD

• Middle aged perv on the school bus. Can't cope with massively fat tongues.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 1, 2008, 07:48:32 pm »
Cheers Shanks - any info is always gratefully received.

Just been listening to Five Live and they had the journalist who broke the whole Man City story on.  If this actually happens this time what he had to say about the City takeover could mean that it was a blessing for Liverpool Football Club too.

Essentially he said that "Dubai" (unsure as to whether he meant DIC, Dubai Holdings or whoever) HAD spoken to City about three weeks ago but didn't say why nothing else happened there.  He then said he had an informal chat about the City guys who wanted to either buy City, Arsenal or Newcastle.  Newcastle were a no go as it was too much money and they couldn't get 90%; Arsenal was too complicated, too expensive and they couldn't improve them by as much and in as many areas as they would have liked so City were the team for them.

They then discussed success and the City team stated that money is no issue, it's essentially a country owning a club and for them to make Ģ100 - Ģ200m from any deal would be pointless as that sort of money was nothing to them.  They said they would make City the most successful Premier League club.  The journalist advising them said something like "in five years may be" and the City guys just laughed.

The key thing was that they mentioned that a small part in the City interest came because they saw it as a way to show off to Dubai and achieve stuff they wanted to do with Liverpool.  That for me was very exciting.  In my opinion it gives you an insight into their mentality and it backs up a lot of what people have said about Dubai.  They aren't interested in making money, they want success and they want stature.  If Dubai own Liverpool they will see the City owners as big competition and it won't just be club against club, it'll almost be country against country.

If Dubai do manage to buy Liverpool, City getting bought by the people who bought them may well be a very helpful thing in my eyes.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2008, 07:52:31 pm by LukeD »

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2008, 07:48:34 pm »
Great news!I was thinking something must be happening because Rafa has been awfully quiet over the funds he has had to work with this summer.Last year he was doing his nut!
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline doghouse

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: September 1, 2008, 07:49:42 pm »
If Amanda can apparently buy Man City in ONE DAY, I just hope she can now get back to helping DIC buy us tomorrow!

I'm thrilled Man City have been sold, threatening our potential top four place. Not only does it make it inevitable the Americans will have to go - they can't compete if they can't borrow - but they may even get driven out at a poor price compared to what they could have got just a little while back.

In fact I'd go so far to say that I'd rather fail to qualify for the champs league this year if it meant G&H made no profit whatsoever when they were forced to sell up by the banks.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • La la la la la
« Reply #15 on: September 1, 2008, 07:50:32 pm »
ha ha, the madness begins again!!

welcome news though, most encouraging. I agree, I can only think it is due to an inability to finance the ground so they have shelved it early doors before they are in too deep. Which of course begs another question; what will happen to the design if the Dubai folks take over? More delays while they re-jig the design to suit their own style, or do the yanks leave the current one as their 'legacy' to the club?

Anyway, can't happen soon enough, cheers for the info SL :thumbup

Offline LukeD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 1, 2008, 07:54:51 pm »
If Amanda can apparently buy Man City in ONE DAY, I just hope she can now get back to helping DIC buy us tomorrow!
The City takeover was sorted in a 10 hour meeting yesterday.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #17 on: September 1, 2008, 07:59:40 pm »

Difference is Thaksin has no money and was knew the game was up re: corruption charges, fan pressure, re-taking FA's "fit and proper person" test. Our owners have no money, but are too stubborn and greedy to realize its best to just give up now, avoid further embarrassment and pocket a small undeserved profit in the making

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #18 on: September 1, 2008, 08:00:29 pm »
The City takeover was sorted in a 10 hour meeting yesterday.

yeah you can just imagine the due diligence.

So this is the trophy room...right so thats everything you need to know about this club
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline RyanBabelsFish

• used2bee1101
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 1, 2008, 08:03:39 pm »
There have been too many disappointments along this DIC road, so I won't get too excited. If these Arabs can buy City so quickly, I don't see why it takes DIC ages to move anything forward with us.
Let's hope it's true though!
My Tips @ www.inside-bet.com

RH: "You're under pressure as manager of Liverpool if you lose two games at any point in the season and we've already lost, five I think, out of eight, or is it four?"

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
« Reply #20 on: September 1, 2008, 08:03:43 pm »
abu dhabi and dubai are massive rivals dic will be pissed over the city deal if this happens i think it will be quick this time nice one shanks made my day that
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 1, 2008, 08:04:51 pm »
Brilliant news but I think we should be cautious. Every time someone says something on here it seems to get out to the press and give the Yanks cold feet.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #22 on: September 1, 2008, 08:12:31 pm »
abu dhabi and dubai are massive rivals dic will be pissed over the city deal if this happens i think it will be quick this time nice one shanks made my day that

Just read this article. Everyone read it because it explains alot.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/09/01/manchester_citys_new_owners_pu.html

Since the country's creation in 1971 - a move driven by Sheikh Khalifa's father, the revered late Sheikh Zayed - Dubai and Abu Dhabi have competed against each other for the world's affections, a rivalry that has gone into overdrive since the turn of the century.

When Dubai built its own seven-star hotel, the Burj Al Arab, Abu Dhabi responded with its own, the Emirates Palace. When Dubai embarked on huge, glamorous construction projects that stole headlines across the world, Abu Dhabi followed suit with plans to build a Guggenheim and a Louvre. Even sporting events have witnessed this economic one-upmanship, with Abu Dhabi setting up a rival to Dubai's PGA tour golf event and tennis tournament. From the outside, it appeared that Abu Dhabi resented the success of its glamorous neighbour. Dubai's royal family had been so successful in branding the emirate that many assumed that it, and not Abu Dhabi, was the capital of the UAE. So when DIC, itself an investment arm of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's sovereign fund, tried and failed to buy a Premier League club, Abu Dhabi just had to keep up with the Joneses. Well, the Maktoums.

Buying Man City is as much about putting Abu Dhabi's flag in the sand. The emirate wants to be a global sports hub, and there's no better way of fast-tracking that than buying one of the grande dames of English football. It is also ample evidence that the world's financial power base is shifting eastwards. But more importantly than that, the capture of Man City gets one over on Abu Dhabi's glamorous neighbours over their Eastern border. And that, they will conclude, is worth any price.

Could be that the purchase of City by the Abu Dhabis will send Dubai's desire to own us into overdrive.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 1, 2008, 08:15:06 pm »
Before January would be nice.

Cheers for the info Shanks.

The sooner the better to be honest, can you imagine chinese whispers in the papers for the next 4 months going on about possible Dubai interest, unrest in the camp, Benitez at odds with the owners, etc...?

Hopefully, this will be like Saddam's hanging, swift and painless!

Doubt it though lol.........!

EDIT - PS, thanks SL!
« Last Edit: September 1, 2008, 08:16:46 pm by NatD »
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Ekul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: September 1, 2008, 08:19:17 pm »
There have been too many disappointments along this DIC road, so I won't get too excited. If these Arabs can buy City so quickly, I don't see why it takes DIC ages to move anything forward with us.
Let's hope it's true though!

Because our owners don't (or didn't I should say) want to sell. Now that Hicks is apparently ready to sell, it should be faster.

Offline jacko12

• Kemlynite
« Reply #25 on: September 1, 2008, 08:22:14 pm »
I think one they announced they had postponed the new stadium this was the obvious thing that would happen.

Can't remember were I read it but haven't the banks shortened the amount of time in which they have to pay back the loans, I'm sure I read that they have only been given 6 months in which to repay the loans.

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
« Reply #26 on: September 1, 2008, 08:23:27 pm »
I think one they announced they had postponed the new stadium this was the obvious thing that would happen.

Can't remember were I read it but haven't the banks shortened the amount of time in which they have to pay back the loans, I'm sure I read that they have only been given 6 months in which to repay the loans.
think its january
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline GermanCarra90

• Kopite
  • "Fuck it, it's only England"
« Reply #27 on: September 1, 2008, 08:25:13 pm »
Itīs posted before here that thereīs a big rivalry betweem the guys who bought city and DIC. Like "I can do better than you". So far so good.

Iīm really happy about that news, no doubt.

Thereīs only one slight concern about this rivalry: DIC wants to prove they are better. Maybe they want to force it too much and want star players here like chelsea. They maybe want to show "look we can buy such super-players". And that could lead to a bad situation.

But donīt get too angry now, Iīm happy they are back and want to bid so first of all thatīs good.

Thanks SL :wave
well, we just need "Level 3" football donīt we?

Offline Ekul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: September 1, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »

They have to January then the option of 6 more months.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2008, 08:30:25 pm »
Hope this cheers a few people up...

The Americans are back talking to DIC, DIC are in the process of reapproaching us with an increase to their previous offer that brings it alot more closer to what the yanks want.

Both Hicks and Gillett will listen to the offer and are now willing to sell as they realise they are now at a dead end and can take the club no further.

This is the first time Hicks has considered selling, and he has informed DIC of his desire providing the offer meets his needs.

This was all going on back end of last week by the way. 

Appreciate the News mate, Sorry to ask though, this other option if Barry fell through, who was it? Don't care that it didn't happen, just curious to know all the same. :)

Offline LukeD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 1, 2008, 08:31:01 pm »
Could be that the purchase of City by the Abu Dhabis will send Dubai's desire to own us into overdrive.
That's essentially what I was getting at in my post on the first page except you've managed to put what I said in three paragraphs in one line!  I may have to get some tips at some point if that's ok?!

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #31 on: September 1, 2008, 08:31:05 pm »
Shanks

I notice the way you said DIC? Are you saying it out of habit or is that the actual group representing the Sheikh?
Wasn't it meant to be Dubai Holdings? Either way Shanks I appreciate the news you have given us, although I'm very positive something will happen I'm not building my hopes up
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline jacko12

• Kemlynite
« Reply #32 on: September 1, 2008, 08:32:59 pm »
They have to January then the option of 6 more months.

From what I read the banks have withdrawn that option due to the fact they are unable to secure any funding for the new stadium

Offline KSM

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: September 1, 2008, 08:38:33 pm »
Re the 6 months extension on the loan. This is an option and typically needs the approval of both parties. Mistakes have been known to happen giving one party more control over the exercise of the facility than the other party. Who knows how far G&H's luck will extend. I would be amazed if the standard T's & C's that RBS usually use did not prevent this.
Addicted to LFC. Looking forward to one long continuous high.

Offline Ekul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: September 1, 2008, 08:39:58 pm »
Shanks

I notice the way you said DIC? Are you saying it out of habit or is that the actual group representing the Sheikh?
Wasn't it meant to be Dubai Holdings? Either way Shanks I appreciate the news you have given us, although I'm very positive something will happen I'm not building my hopes up

DIC is the international arm of Dubai Holdings which is 99.67% (I think) owned by the Sheikh.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2008, 08:41:57 pm by Ekul »

Offline jonnygeeart

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P L.F.C
« Reply #35 on: September 1, 2008, 08:52:03 pm »
IF it did happen would it mean a new re-designed stadium?
I would reckon they will have their own design ready and waitin

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #36 on: September 1, 2008, 08:53:58 pm »
I would reckon they will have their own design ready and waitin

Doubt it. They surely need to have had access to stanley park to create a design? might well be wrong. Plus it would be silly to spend millions on architects and designers on something you might be in a position to build.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 1, 2008, 08:54:40 pm »
Not EVERY time no...

What about the replacement we had lined up if Barry fell through?...

Riera?

Offline KSM

• Main Stander
« Reply #38 on: September 1, 2008, 08:54:53 pm »
So what number is Barry wearing for us this season then?

Shanks said he was a done deal about 3 weeks a go didn't he?

It was until RBS started to pull the plug on the stadium. Everything since then has been one lurch to another looking for a way to keep on going. The two events are linked and more importantly our owners were aware of the RBS position on the stadium when they pulled the plug on the barry deal. Remember that the Barry deal was only finally off a week ago by which time the news on the stadium was being spread by the Crimson Pirate.
Addicted to LFC. Looking forward to one long continuous high.

Offline Ekul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: September 1, 2008, 08:55:12 pm »
Not EVERY time no...

What about the replacement we had lined up if Barry fell through?...

We got the replacement.