Author Topic: General Arsenal Thread  (Read 2780316 times)

Online Die Nullfünfer

• Believer
  • Don’t think about it, just play football.
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #40960 on: January 8, 2017, 01:43:42 AM »
not sure if Reus would leave Dortmund for Arsenal.

He's ignored advances from bigger and better.

While others around him at BvB have left for bigger riches, Reus is a loyal Dortmund boy. 
"If you only find football great when you win, you should stay at home. You have to accept that you can give everything and still lose.." Jürgen Klopp

Offline Y2J

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Believer
  • Best in the world at what he does, Chris Jericho
« Reply #40961 on: January 8, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »
Reus at Arsenal will just spend all his contract sitting in the hospital.
Quote from: Chris Jericho
You people have been led to believe that mediocrity is excellence, nah Jericho is excellence.

Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and pretend they're mine.
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #40962 on: January 8, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
Bid £56m for Bellotti according to Torino's president. Turned down obviously.

Offline tonysleft

• Believer
  • A manc
« Reply #40963 on: January 8, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »
Torino should have been snapping their hand off for the next Immobile.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and pretend they're mine.
  • Believer
« Reply #40964 on: January 8, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
Ozil says him staying at Arsenal depends on Wenger signing a new contract.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Believer
« Reply #40965 on: January 9, 2017, 08:34:40 PM »
Ozil says him staying at Arsenal depends on Wenger signing a new contract.

Surely to God the old lad knows this should be his last season? If not he's liable to ruin his legacy and end up being hounded out. If he can't see that then it's worrying for any Gooner fan.

Nobody likes to see people go on too long.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #40966 on: January 9, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Souness1

• Anny Roader
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #40967 on: January 10, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
Whats the situation with Wengers contract? is it up at the end of this season?

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Truthiness
« Reply #40968 on: January 10, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
Whats the situation with Wengers contract? is it up at the end of this season?

Yep. 

They've signed left back Cohen Bramall from Hednesford Town though.  These regen names aren't very realistic anymore.  I mean 'Hednesford Town' - who do they think they're fooling?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ashburton

• Believer
« Reply #40969 on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:07 PM »
These bids for Belotti/interest in Reus seems like smoke to get Sanchez and Ozil to put pen to paper.  Especially because at their age the club would likely consider cashing in.

He's basically got five months remaining, though I cannot see him walking away.  The club, and his agent are likely waiting for the side to put a good bunch of form together/do something in the cups.  There has been little noise about a new manager, other than Allegri (which he denies), and doubt the fanbase would respond well to another last 16 exit to Munich, a capitulation in the league and FA cup, and then Wenger getting a new deal regardless.

Unfortunately for the club Arsenal has a difficult 'home stretch' in the league, with more away games than most teams, and a congested set of fixtures around the Bayern Munich games.  Unless the side changes its current lethargic style, pressure on Wenger will mount.  The FA cup may be the 'release valve', yet there are plenty of good sides left in it and without playing well pretty much all season, you do hope something 'clicks' soon.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Believer
« Reply #40970 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »
We may get PR battle over Ozil and Sanchez. Some pundits that care for Arsenal and fan groups may well start accusing Ozil (I think his recent statement was due to one such attack) and Sanchez to delaying for reasons of greed. The players will try to avoid fans turning on them by saying they are pro Wenger and won't sign till he stays but agents will try to get as much money as possible while waiting till they know the future direction of the club. As I have said before, Ozil and Sanchez would be foolish to sign up to anything at this stage till they know who is in charge. This would be the case of we won every trophy last season and were currently 50 points clear in the Prem in case we appointed a bad manager in the summer.

Offline Souness1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #40971 on: January 11, 2017, 12:09:35 PM »
Yep. 

They've signed left back Cohen Bramall from Hednesford Town though.  These regen names aren't very realistic anymore.  I mean 'Hednesford Town' - who do they think they're fooling?

;D is it just me or has not that much been made that Wenger could seriously be going in a few months? I don't take a massive interest in Arsenal but its a big deal whichever way you look at it, considering how long he has been there.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Kopite
« Reply #40972 on: January 11, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »
;D is it just me or has not that much been made that Wenger could seriously be going in a few months? I don't take a massive interest in Arsenal but its a big deal whichever way you look at it, considering how long he has been there.

It's probably because most folk don't really think he'll be going at the end of the season.

Offline Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #40973 on: January 11, 2017, 04:26:19 PM »
I'm probably one of the few who thinks they'd be better off selling Ozil or Sanchez (probably Ozil) and reinvesting in younger attackers even if Wenger signs a new deal.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:29:33 PM by Chris~ »

Online Gerry Attrick

• Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
« Reply #40974 on: January 11, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »
I'm probably one of the few who thinks they'd be better off selling Ozil or Sanchez (probably Ozil) and teinvesting i  younger attackers even if Wenger signs a new deal.

No way Arsenal can afford to sell Sanchez in my opinion. I think Ozil's very underrated but he's certainly more expendable than Sanchez.

Offline Nessy76

• Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #40975 on: January 11, 2017, 04:47:08 PM »
I'm probably one of the few who thinks they'd be better off selling Ozil or Sanchez (probably Ozil) and reinvesting in younger attackers even if Wenger signs a new deal.

They both turned 28 in the last couple of months. At their physical peak. Makes little sense to sell now.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA
www.twitter.com/AndrewNessy

Online CraigDS

• Lite.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #40976 on: January 11, 2017, 04:47:10 PM »

Why don't they just keep both and invest in younger attackers? I mean they are hardly short of cash to spend.

Online CraigDS

• Lite.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
« Reply #40977 on: January 11, 2017, 04:50:09 PM »
We may get PR battle over Ozil and Sanchez. Some pundits that care for Arsenal and fan groups may well start accusing Ozil (I think his recent statement was due to one such attack) and Sanchez to delaying for reasons of greed. The players will try to avoid fans turning on them by saying they are pro Wenger and won't sign till he stays but agents will try to get as much money as possible while waiting till they know the future direction of the club. As I have said before, Ozil and Sanchez would be foolish to sign up to anything at this stage till they know who is in charge. This would be the case of we won every trophy last season and were currently 50 points clear in the Prem in case we appointed a bad manager in the summer.

Agreed, they'd be foolish to sign anything until they know what is happening with Wenger. It obviously has the added benefit that it puts them in a stronger position to demand more money too.

Your board/Wenger should really not be letting it get to this stage though where it's such an unknown what he is doing. Either announce you're leaving or sign a new deal and end the problem.

Offline Souness1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #40978 on: January 11, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »
It's probably because most folk don't really think he'll be going at the end of the season.

Fair enough, how come the contract hasn't been sorted yet then? Waiting to see if top 4 is achieved first or is that not the issue?

Online Sir Psycho Sexy

• Believer
« Reply #40979 on: January 11, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
wouldn't this be the exact type of move that has fucked arsenal in the past (selling quality and trying to replace it with youth)

ozil may disappear too much in big games but over the course of the season, he's only goimg to win you points
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #40980 on: January 11, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »
They both turned 28 in the last couple of months. At their physical peak. Makes little sense to sell now.
Wouldn't say 28 is the physical peak for players to be honest.

Why don't they just keep both and invest in younger attackers? I mean they are hardly short of cash to spend.
Risking having 2 32/33 year olds on huge wages which hampers them in the future.

wouldn't this be the exact type of move that has fucked arsenal in the past (selling quality and trying to replace it with youth)

ozil may disappear too much in big games but over the course of the season, he's only goimg to win you points
Only because they didn't even try to replace them. I'm not talking about signing 18 year olds, but player entering their prime at 23/24.

Offline Nessy76

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #40981 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »
Wouldn't say 28 is the physical peak for players to be honest.

Well as long you're honest. Wrong, but honest.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ElCapo

• Believer
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #40982 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:06 PM »
Interesting times for the Arsenal.

Offline Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #40983 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
Well as long you're honest. Wrong, but honest.
How many attacking players best seasons are at 28+?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:28:26 PM by Chris~ »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Believer
« Reply #40984 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »
Selling Sanchez makes no sense, he has the work rate and desire to go with his ability and could fit into really anything a new manager would look to do, can press score goals and assist, if anything the worry should be that his talent and performances are deserving of a bigger stage and better team than Arsenal, say Bayern.

Ozil is different though for me he is very much expendable, especially if club comes with a 40m or 40m+ bid.

Offline ElCapo

• Believer
« Reply #40985 on: January 12, 2017, 02:44:20 AM »
What option do Arsenal have if neither Sanchez nor Ozil extend?   They can sell in the summer to recoup a decent fee, or lose them for free in the summer of 2018.

Offline MagicHat

• Believer
« Reply #40986 on: January 12, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
Chris, why would selling our big players be a good thing? They are about to hit their peak, once they begin to decline we can do 2 year contracts with less high wages and less of a backlash if we sell them. If they decline a year early, we can take the finical hit comfortably being very rich.

We sell them now? We get less then they worth just as they are about to hit their peak years, we might not be able to buy the players we want becuase we nosedive down the list of "what clubs do I want to go to" becuase Arsenal have formally declared our new name is "we have no ambition to win anything ever again." Our squad would be weaker, fans would be in revolt. There is no upside.

Fair enough, how come the contract hasn't been sorted yet then? Waiting to see if top 4 is achieved first or is that not the issue?

Your board/Wenger should really not be letting it get to this stage though where it's such an unknown what he is doing. Either announce you're leaving or sign a new deal and end the problem.

Possibly Wenger doesn't quite know what he wants. Our contracts usually sorted by now, club give Wenger what he wants, he signs when he wants to. Wenger fears retirement but he is aware of growing unhappiness, that if we get nowhere near a title challenge with last season and this season then he may be asking himself if he can take us further, he may be hoping that some success would mean he can quickly sign if some popularity behind him.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Believer
« Reply #40987 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
Koscielny, Giroud and Coquelin have signed new contracts.

Offline rowan_d

• boat
  • Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #40988 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
Am I mental for thinking Koscielny is more important to them than Ozil is?

Offline Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #40989 on: January 12, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »
Chris, why would selling our big players be a good thing? They are about to hit their peak, once they begin to decline we can do 2 year contracts with less high wages and less of a backlash if we sell them. If they decline a year early, we can take the finical hit comfortably being very rich.
No way is 28 just about to hit their peak years. I'm assuming they're looking for the standard 5 year contract which would take them to 33, are you really expecting them to just start declining at that age? And surely having that say £200k a week being spent on a player contributing is better than one, possibly two not?

It's not an easy thing to do and you won't look to sell them, clubs won't trust themselves to replace them and will worry about their image, especially Arsenal with their reputation for it and split fan base. Van Persie though for example was sold at probably at the right time. Sign him to a 5 year contract at 28/29 and you'd have got one extra year out of him and then nothing but a massive financial burden. Maybe it'd have won you the league, but given you've hovered around 70 points for years no matter who you have I doubt it.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Believer

Offline ElCapo

• Believer
« Reply #40991 on: January 12, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »
Smacks of desperation.

On another note Alexis would be welcomed at Bayern.  Can replace Ribery and I'm sure we can offer whatever wages he's after.  Can be close to his mate Vidal as well.

Offline Eel Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • I'm hot for you Patricia
« Reply #40992 on: January 12, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
Not really. Surely. :lmao
Nine huh? Nine maverick bars....

Offline ScottishGoon

• Kopite
« Reply #40993 on: January 12, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
If you read through their tweets, they have made the banner but it's also a bit of fun as well, they've been having a laugh about it the past day or 2.

Offline Iska

• Believer
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #40994 on: January 12, 2017, 09:39:36 PM »
You could have a lot of fun as an Arsenal fan, thinking up ever-twee'er ways to wind up your own support.  With any other club you'd know they're just having a laugh, but with Arsenal you're never quite certain.

Offline MagicHat

• Believer
« Reply #40995 on: January 13, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
Am I mental for thinking Koscielny is more important to them than Ozil is?

It's a reasonable thought but in terms of the impact to morale and reputation, would have been less damaging then Ozil going

No way is 28 just about to hit their peak years. I'm assuming they're looking for the standard 5 year contract which would take them to 33, are you really expecting them to just start declining at that age? And surely having that say £200k a week being spent on a player contributing is better than one, possibly two not?

It's not an easy thing to do and you won't look to sell them, clubs won't trust themselves to replace them and will worry about their image, especially Arsenal with their reputation for it and split fan base. Van Persie though for example was sold at probably at the right time. Sign him to a 5 year contract at 28/29 and you'd have got one extra year out of him and then nothing but a massive financial burden. Maybe it'd have won you the league, but given you've hovered around 70 points for years no matter who you have I doubt it.

Could be 4 year contrast. I would expect decline around age 32, Sanchez probably earlier then Ozil given how much of his game is about energy and his refusal to learn to rest. Again, we can afford to take the wage hit if need be and I believe the cost of wages are taken out of transfer budget in the year contract is signed.

Van Persie's body was made of glass. Ozil and Sanchez have not had injury after injury wrecking their bodies like it has Van Persie. No, doubt we would have won the league with Van Persie.

Offline Nessy76

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #40996 on: January 13, 2017, 02:55:02 PM »
How many attacking players best seasons are at 28+?

Lots. Suarez hit 40 goals last season.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ScottishGoon

• Kopite
« Reply #40997 on: January 13, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »
Folk criticise Arsenal on here for the wages they pay some of the squad players, but just seen today Sakho is on over £100k a week!

Online Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #40998 on: January 13, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »
Folk criticise Arsenal on here for the wages they pay some of the squad players, but just seen today Sakho is on over £100k a week!

Wasn't bought to just be a squad player. He was in the first 11 when he got here, what's happened since has relegated him to the reserves.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Kopite
« Reply #40999 on: January 13, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »
Wasn't bought to just be a squad player. He was in the first 11 when he got here, what's happened since has relegated him to the reserves.

I appreciate that but guys like Giroud & Koscielny are probably the just getting near that the now & they've been first team players at Arsenal for 4 years nearly, & are more decorated internationally as well.

It's not a criticism, I'm just surprised after some of the comments on here about some of our players.

Ive also just seen Lingard is getting a new contract at Utd for £95K!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:41:48 PM by ScottishGoon »