Author Topic: Momo Sissoko ....  (Read 42741 times)

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Momo Sissoko ....
« Reply #200 on: November 6, 2013, 01:34:19 pm »
For those who say we need back up for Lucas or competition for him, Momo's a free agent. Id have him back on a freebie.

Was banging on about this to my mates in the boozer last night, they werent having it though. He wont be the same as before but having him as back up to Lucas is better than no back up at all. Risk free transfer imo as he wont want massive wages. Cant pass a ball to save his life but all he needs to do is break up play and thats what we need.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: November 6, 2013, 01:35:53 pm »
How many times has this midfield actually played? ::)

And we upgraded on said midfield when we replaced Sissoko with Lucas. Upgraded significantly. Before his injury, Lucas was regularly part of teams that beat the big boys, even away from home. What RoshanA is fixated on is the idea that Lucas is and has always been a bad player, and thus good players do what the bad player Lucas does not. Hence his idea that Ronnie Whelan was a box to box goalscoring CM, something that baffles those of us who'd actually seen him in that role rather than read stats from his early career. That doesn't matter though, as Lucas is a bad player because he doesn't get up and down and score goals, and thus Whelan, a good player who played in CM, must have done these things that Lucas does not.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #202 on: November 6, 2013, 01:36:35 pm »
Momo, Mo ma Momo, Mo ma Momo, Mo ma Mo Sissoko!

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #203 on: November 6, 2013, 01:39:53 pm »
So we want Momo, Alonso and Mascherano back?

Erm....yes please...

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 6, 2013, 01:40:31 pm »
He's only 28?! Surprised he's still a free agent now... he must really have gone down hill in the last few years.

Although saying that, Flamini was a free agent, training with Arsenal, and all of a sudden he's one of their most important players this season.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #205 on: November 6, 2013, 01:41:36 pm »
Why not?

Look at Flamini, no one else took a gamble on him till the middle of August and he's currently one of the best DM's in the league on form. Should have nabbed him this summer, would be starting for us right now.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #206 on: November 6, 2013, 01:43:16 pm »
He's only 28?! Surprised he's still a free agent now... he must really have gone down hill in the last few years.

Although saying that, Flamini was a free agent, training with Arsenal, and all of a sudden he's one of their most important players this season.

Kolo Toure anyone...free transfer...oh, we've done that one....

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #207 on: November 6, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »
Lucas was closer to Mascherano than Whelan was to being a goalscoring CM. In what era was Whelan an up and down box to box CM who scored goals regularly, as you claim?

Watch some YOUTUBE videos of our double winning 85-86 season, that was the season Whelan got 14 goals. Or the season before when he bagged 12. Or the season before that when he bagged 9 goals. Up and down mate. Watch the videos, and of course if you can't be bothered just look at the stats.

That's what you want from a midfielder. I'd be happy for Lucas to have a 5 shots on target all season, especially when he is no Makelele defending or reading the game.

Back to the topic though, Momo will still be able to command high wages. I doubt he would have been on peanuts at PSG.

Offline RoshanA

• Shows some fawcets of Paul Merson's character. Rashid clone. Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour
  • Kopite
« Reply #208 on: November 6, 2013, 01:45:55 pm »

He must be carrying an injury.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 6, 2013, 01:47:37 pm »
Kolo Toure anyone...free transfer...oh, we've done that one....

Kolo moved straight from City to here. Momo's not had anyone come in for him - he's still a free agent, without a contract. Just like Flamini until he impressed Wenger when he was training with them.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #210 on: November 6, 2013, 01:50:07 pm »
Watch some YOUTUBE videos of our double winning 85-86 season, that was the season Whelan got 14 goals. Or the season before when he bagged 12. Or the season before that when he bagged 9 goals. Up and down mate. Watch the videos, and of course if you can't be bothered just look at the stats.

That's what you want from a midfielder. I'd be happy for Lucas to have a 5 shots on target all season, especially when he is no Makelele defending or reading the game.

Back to the topic though, Momo will still be able to command high wages. I doubt he would have been on peanuts at PSG.
How many goals would you expect from Momo ?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: November 6, 2013, 01:55:11 pm »

Oh yes, the 85-86 season when Whelan galloped up and down CM scoring all those goals. Or didn't, as the case may be. Now I don't remember the 85-86 season, but I'm reliably told by those who do that Whelan used to be a LM in his early days, and scored a few from there. What I do remember from watching the video of the 86 cup final is he played LM in that game, as the oldtimers tell me he did, while Molby and McDonald played CM (with McMahon, a true box to box CM, on the bench). Al also says that the following season, as Lawrenson became less of a force at CB, he played more as a holding CM. So that's another season without Whelan at CM. Now 87-88 is the first season I remember in detail, and I certainly remember Whelan playing CM, and the different roles he and McMahon played. Whelan held, and McMahon was box to box. That was the Whelan I remember in CM, and that's the CM Whelan that everyone else remembers too. Apart from you, who cites numbers from 85-86 and videos of his early days as examples of him as the box to box CM that you talk about.

How much did you watch of 87-88 and subsequent seasons when Whelan played CM?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #212 on: November 6, 2013, 02:19:28 pm »
Oh yes, the 85-86 season when Whelan galloped up and down CM scoring all those goals. Or didn't, as the case may be. Now I don't remember the 85-86 season, but I'm reliably told by those who do that Whelan used to be a LM in his early days, and scored a few from there. What I do remember from watching the video of the 86 cup final is he played LM in that game, as the oldtimers tell me he did, while Molby and McDonald played CM (with McMahon, a true box to box CM, on the bench). Al also says that the following season, as Lawrenson became less of a force at CB, he played more as a holding CM. So that's another season without Whelan at CM. Now 87-88 is the first season I remember in detail, and I certainly remember Whelan playing CM, and the different roles he and McMahon played. Whelan held, and McMahon was box to box. That was the Whelan I remember in CM, and that's the CM Whelan that everyone else remembers too. Apart from you, who cites numbers from 85-86 and videos of his early days as examples of him as the box to box CM that you talk about.

How much did you watch of 87-88 and subsequent seasons when Whelan played CM?

Sorry to butt in but while Whelan started as a left sided midfielder he did tend to tuck in once Johnston was in the team. This allowed Craig  to be more offensive on the opposite side in that period from 83-87. Ronnie was never a box to box midfeilder in the truest sense of the word but he did cover a lot of ground down the left side of three or four as the case may be.

After 87 his position did change but only slightly. The advent of Barnes meant that it was Houghton on the opposite side who tucked in. However, Barnes had less defensive duties then Johnston had had so while Whelan did go more central he still played very much on the left hand side of the pitch. Obviously part of his role was to step back to cover when McMahon went forward but his main responsibility was to patrol the left hand side of the field as it had always been.

« Last Edit: November 6, 2013, 02:25:06 pm by goalrushatgoodison »
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 6, 2013, 02:25:04 pm »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #214 on: November 6, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »
I don't want to intrude on people's fantasies, but the Flamini comparison is a fatuous one. Whilst Flamini was playing for AC Milan and making over 20 appearances, Momo was being released by PSG and failing to get a contract on trial at Reading. Flamini is still a good player and has come in at Arsenal off the back of a successful spell in Italy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Momo fan, but people are looking for what was there rather than what is still there. Every season with Juventus produced hurdles and his influence there wound down, until he looked a shell of the player he once was. PSG seemed to offer him a new start, but he was unable to fit into the squad once the likes of Matuidi and Verratti were introduced. Again, he started promisingly there before being pretty much ignored.

He's a far cry from the player we had, even post injury unfortunately. Only 50 appearances in the last four seasons and his lack of a club now attest to that. It's one thing to want Masch or Xabi back, but Momo's time has expired as far as being a top-level pro has gone. It's a shame, but no one ever said football was without a cruelty.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Brasco

• Main Stander
  • It's more than a train ride home these days.
« Reply #215 on: November 6, 2013, 02:46:03 pm »
Looks like his move to Anderlecht is pretty much done and dusted.

https://twitter.com/sissokomomo/status/396318873164587009/photo/1
We want to go to the best teams in the world and give them hell

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 6, 2013, 03:56:51 pm »
And a nostalgic reminder of why, eye injury or not, we sold him...

http://youtu.be/NCpyDhgVla8

he was like a hornet...i fucking miss him
YNWA

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #217 on: November 6, 2013, 04:18:44 pm »
Looks like his move to Anderlecht is pretty much done and dusted.

https://twitter.com/sissokomomo/status/396318873164587009/photo/1
Thank fuck for that.
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: November 6, 2013, 05:10:16 pm »
I thought he was older than 28 as well.

I have not followed him since he left. Sad that he has declined as much as those who have seen him play say.

That video v Chelsea is brilliant he was absolutely immense in that destroyer role.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #219 on: November 6, 2013, 06:33:26 pm »

Might as well go for Fowler as well - the 3rd coming.
Ammageddin' it...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2013, 02:48:18 pm »
Anderlecht decide not to offer Sissoko a contract after 2 weeks trial.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2013, 03:37:37 pm »

Might as well go for Fowler as well - the 3rd coming.
what are you complaining about?  After all, it's the best midfield in the world.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline Dingle Red

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in the red and white kop
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »
beast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4N-ypfPGw
fucking Monster.

Gutted watching that, thought Momo was going to be Our Midfield General for Years.

Offline rawKBottom

• Legacy Fan
  • My karma just ran over your dogma
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2013, 08:15:22 pm »
What I'd do for a player like that in our midfield now.

We definitely would need someone who could put up the performance like his(against Chelsea) and that would mean a significant upgradation in the defensive midfield role for us. Hopefully a part of our plan in the January window.

All the best Momo.
Vedanta uncompromisingly insists that man is essentially perfect, and therefore infinite are the possibilities that lie lurking in him

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2013, 10:49:39 pm »
I don't want to intrude on people's fantasies, but the Flamini comparison is a fatuous one. Whilst Flamini was playing for AC Milan and making over 20 appearances, Momo was being released by PSG and failing to get a contract on trial at Reading. Flamini is still a good player and has come in at Arsenal off the back of a successful spell in Italy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Momo fan, but people are looking for what was there rather than what is still there. Every season with Juventus produced hurdles and his influence there wound down, until he looked a shell of the player he once was. PSG seemed to offer him a new start, but he was unable to fit into the squad once the likes of Matuidi and Verratti were introduced. Again, he started promisingly there before being pretty much ignored.

He's a far cry from the player we had, even post injury unfortunately. Only 50 appearances in the last four seasons and his lack of a club now attest to that. It's one thing to want Masch or Xabi back, but Momo's time has expired as far as being a top-level pro has gone. It's a shame, but no one ever said football was without a cruelty.

Flamini didn't have a successful time in Italy at all, but i agree with the rest of what you said.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2013, 11:09:13 pm »
For those who say we need back up for Lucas or competition for him, Momo's a free agent. Id have him back on a freebie.
Yeah, if the game is Snakes n Ladders. ::)

Offline kkhaku

• Kaladze
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: k_rrar
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2013, 11:11:37 pm »
Momo was the midfielder from hell for any opposition - especially ball playing sides. I remember a match against Chelsea where Lampard couldn't get more than a half second on the ball without feeling Momo's bite.

He wasn't the same after the injury, but for me his problem was always when we had the ball. He was a spectator for the most part, and when he did get the ball, he'd struggle to make more than a 5 yard pass. That of course got worse after the injury and I think it's a big part of why he's been moved on by many clubs since. He doesn't fit into a ball playing midfield - and its very hard for managers to stomach a player like that in the middle of the park.
"God is dead." - Freidrich Nietzsche, 1882
"Nietzsche is dead." - God, 1900

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2013, 11:15:23 pm »
its not a case of how many would Momo score but rather how many would he stop us letting in. as a good ball winner in our midfield  and it would free up Stevie or Lucas to score a few.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2013, 11:18:35 pm »
For those saying we should consider him returning. How often have you seen him play recently?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2013, 11:20:29 pm »
How do people think Tommy Smith would fare as a DM for us?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2013, 03:23:54 am »
Remember being constantly frustrated by his inability to pass the ball. Didn't mind when we let him go at the time.

Offline Walk on, walk on

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone.
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2013, 04:14:37 am »
Remember being constantly frustrated by his inability to pass the ball. Didn't mind when we let him go at the time.

Unfortunately he left me with that impression too. His last couple of games, he couldn't complete a pass to save his life. Think his sense of depth and dimension was really never the same after the eye injury.
Liverpool don't turn up against shit teams so Wenger picks the shittest line up possible.
The man is a genius!

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2013, 04:24:42 am »
Speaking purely of when he was with us... legend.

He was the Masch we never had (until we got Javier!)
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2013, 12:25:57 am »
Brilliant player during his time here, He is what we need now, He isn't what he was though. He is plagued with nagging injuries, I suspect this is stopping clubs taking him on.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2013, 05:56:24 pm »
As posted on his own website:  http://www.momo-sissoko.com/2013/11/communique-momo-sissoko-ne-sengagera-pas-avec-le-sporting-danderlecht/

Via google translate:

Momo Sissoko who was training with Anderlecht for two weeks, will not commit to the Belgian club. Indeed, agents Momo Sissoko and club leaders Anderlecht have not found common ground on the sporting side of the project. Disagreements do not affect wage demands of the player or his form. Momo Sissoko has also participated in 90 minutes of play during the friendly match against NAC Breda held Thursday afternoon.

Momo Sissoko would like to thank the staff, the players of the professional team and the entire staff of Anderlecht, with whom he spent two great weeks of work, and draws only positive in this experiment to identified a next challenge.

--

Feeling sad for Momo.  But, as he said on his twitter:  " Le combat continue !"

Maybe Australia/Japan/China/USA/Championship next?
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2013, 10:13:32 am »
Good luck Momo. YNWA
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2013, 10:37:38 am »
Good luck Momo. YNWA

would still love to see him get one last chance with us.
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2013, 11:07:40 am »
Terrific player. Absolute boss pre-injury.

Still remember the Arsenal game at Anfield. Was it Arsenal? He was fucking boss. Showed them what it means to have a boss midfielder.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #238 on: November 19, 2013, 12:02:55 pm »
would still love to see him get one last chance with us.

That's right. Let's become a retirement home for former players who can't make it elsewhere. Could bring back Dirk as well. There's soemething nice and cosy about the idea.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 19, 2013, 12:30:31 pm »
That's right. Let's become a retirement home for former players who can't make it elsewhere. Could bring back Dirk as well. There's soemething nice and cosy about the idea.

one day you will take a breath first, think,  then post,

he is a ball winner we dont have a tough ball winner, but put it this way some Arsenal guy would have typed the same comment about Flamini a few weeks back!
Nothing cosy about my idea but maybe something wrong with your holier than thou attitude though!