Author Topic: 2008 UEFA Under-19 European Championship  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Last Edit: July 6, 2008, 01:15:34 pm by Macedonian_Red »

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2008 UEFA Under-19 European Championship
« Reply #1 on: July 7, 2008, 08:14:21 am »

No LFC players in the England's squad ...
http://www.thefa.com/England/U19s/Players/

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #2 on: July 7, 2008, 09:15:38 am »
For those who'd like to know, we've got San Jose and Merida in the Spain squad, Nemeth and Simon in the Hungary squad, and Dean Bouzanis on the Greek team.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #3 on: July 7, 2008, 09:18:44 am »
For those who'd like to know, we've got San Jose and Merida in the Spain squad, Nemeth and Simon in the Hungary squad, and Dean Bouzanis on the Greek team.

We've got Merida in the Spain squad?  The lad from Arsenal?  ???
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #4 on: July 7, 2008, 09:23:15 am »
The Spain vs Hungry game will be good to watch. Nemeth vs San Jose.
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 7, 2008, 09:50:34 am »
We've got Merida in the Spain squad?  The lad from Arsenal?  ???

he is so good, he plays for two teams!

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2008, 10:39:51 am »

Peter Gulacsi is also on the Hungarian squad ...

Offline Macedonian_Red

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:12:58 pm »

Games to be broadcasted live on Eurosport ...

Monday, 14th July

Czech Republic - England (17:30 CEST)
Germany - Spain   (19:30 CEST)

Thursday, 17th July

Spain - Hungary (18:00 CEST)
Germany - Bulgaria (20:30 CEST)

Sunday, 20th July

Italy - Czech Republic (18:00 CEST)
Hungary - Germany (20:00 CEST)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:02:25 pm »
Reminder.  This kicks off today....

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 03:58:48 pm »
Who is everyone going for?

I'm going for Hungary as my Grandfather is Hungarian. Having Nemeth, Gulacsi and Simon in the squad isn't bad either.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 04:04:12 pm »
Thought Dean was an Aussie ??? If he is the first choice keeper then i'll be keeping an eye on Greece. Havent seen him play at all.

Normally go for Spain but ill go for Hungary this time for K. Nemeth.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 04:08:44 pm »
Thought Dean was an Aussie ??? If he is the first choice keeper then i'll be keeping an eye on Greece. Havent seen him play at all.

Normally go for Spain but ill go for Hungary this time for K. Nemeth.

He is but has enough Greece blood to get into the side. According to wki, causing a bit of a stir in Australia

He is a recent addition to the Greece team who rotated two other keepers in qualification so presumably Bouzanis was brought in to solve that position. 

Offline rafasredangel

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 04:18:04 pm »
I normally support Spain - but will probably be supporting Hungary this time because of Nemeth.
Andrew Miller MP on the S*n 'What gave them the right to publish such disgusting filth when people had died?' YNWA JFT96
Thatcher's Mind=Managed decline

Offline anfield

• Legacy Fan
  • No surprises from me
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 04:46:12 pm »
Nemeth scored  :D Hungary 1-0 up.
I always believe in our team, always.
Sheikh Mo will own the club very soon.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 04:53:09 pm »

Was going to put a load on Hungary to win!

Offline rafasredangel

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 05:18:38 pm »

Was just coming on here to ask the Hungary score - happy days! :D
Andrew Miller MP on the S*n 'What gave them the right to publish such disgusting filth when people had died?' YNWA JFT96
Thatcher's Mind=Managed decline

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 05:39:35 pm »
damn that boy is prolific
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 06:38:40 pm »
England lost 2-0 and despite facing 9 men for around 20 minutes. Outside of Sturridge, nobody in the England attacked well for 90 minutes and was summed up by only the Man City striker forcing Vaclík to do any work. England were alright defensively but struggled in the air, often two men attacked the ball and still lost but as for Button

1) Commentators should never go on about a save and declare "that sort of thing separates the best from the rest, making match winning saves like that", not least when the terrfic save came from yet more um ahing by Button.

2) What are coaches doing? Button seems a fine keeper when the ball isn't pumped into the box, good distribution (if a little too many long clearances), good positioning, made a fantastic save. So why do I see so many young keepers refusing to come for a cross or a corner, just dancing around the six yard box and spreading panic? I like the Scotland U17 keeper Grant Adam as he came out for everything and at least that way, he will learn when not to come and when too claim. What will Button learn from this? Fabanski has this problem as well as did Steele for the U17's last year so not just kicking poor Button

Credit to the Czech's, good fullbacks, good set peices, resilient and a good keeper, deserved the win
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:41:30 pm by MagicHat »

Offline Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 12:00:41 am »
http://www.thefa.com/England/U19s/Players/
Why Aaron Ramsey isn't there?

Online rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 12:04:29 am »
 SRSLY?

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 12:07:09 am »
Why Aaron Ramsey isn't there?
Welsh aint he?
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 07:18:28 am »
Already claimed by Wales

Benitez is destroying English football headlines? Oh no, just Arsene then ;) You guys must have somebody good enough to get into the team, surprised you guys don't have anyone

Apparently Péter Gulácsi performed impressively to keep Bulgaria at bay
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:18:02 am by MagicHat »

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 08:49:47 am »
Welsh aint he?
Oh yeah, sorry, my bad  :-\
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:53:46 am by Jaska »

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 09:25:07 am »
Bouzanis didn't start?  Even though he has the number 1 jersey, it was the second goalkeeper who played vs Italy.
Worrth watching the greeks just for Sotiris Ninis, he'll be moving on a la Sulejmani very soon.

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 09:30:01 am »
my b@d apparently changes automatically to sorry...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:32:57 am by Jaska »

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 10:15:27 am »
Bouzanis didn't start?  Even though he has the number 1 jersey, it was the second goalkeeper who played vs Italy.
Worrth watching the greeks just for Sotiris Ninis, he'll be moving on a la Sulejmani very soon.
Too bad then that none of the Greece matches are televised...
And yes, Bouzanis was on the bench.
Although, I'd say people should remember that Bouzanis still count as an U17 player in this U19 tournament.

Of course, Gulacsi is just some months older, he counts as U18. Simon is U18 as well, while Nemeth and San Jose are U19 (San Jose played for the Spain side that won last year as well - thrown in to start as DCM in the final when others were suspended).

Also, in case anyone has missed it:
The top 6 of the 8 teams qualify for the UEFA spots in the FIFA U20 WC next sommer.

You guys must have somebody good enough to get into the team, surprised you guys don't have anyone
Considering we won the FA youth cup in this age group, you'd think so. But truth is, that side wasn't impressive in the league, and the academy goal has to be to produce top individuals rather than balanced teams...
Yes, we still have Spearing, Putterill, Flynn, Threllfall and Lindfield at the club, but I don't think they'll make it.

Offline Aruns

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 07:25:43 am »
Here is what Németh said after the match:
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under19/news/kind=1/newsid=732514.html

"The match-winner in Hungary's first ever U19 finals game, Krisztián Németh believes there is more to come from the Magyars in Group A.

'Gives us confidence'
The Liverpool FC striker scored the only goal against fellow finals debutants Bulgaria in the tenth minute in Prague on Monday, running on to a fine through-ball from captain Vlagyimir Komán and providing a cool finish, and Németh was quick to emphasise how important a victorious start had been. "I'm happy to have scored, it was a good goal and a good pass from my team-mate," he told uefa.com. "We played very well in parts and started the tournament how we wanted to. The first match is always important and tough – to win that gives us a lot of confidence and I think we'll get better from now on."

Short passing game
With games against holders Spain and Germany to come, Németh recognises that Hungary will have to improve having survived a potentially tricky first test. "We have two harder games in front of us so we need to get better," he added. "Bulgaria were a difficult team to play against, they defended very well, were very strong at the back and fast in attack too so it was a tough game and it's great to have won it. We're not completely happy as we didn't play as well as we know we can. The result is still a win, though, and that's the most important thing, but we know we can play better football. Our strength is short passing, we prefer to play like that and it didn't happen against Bulgaria. We played too many long balls."

'Doing my job'
Despite there being plenty of room for improvement Németh was satisfied at a job well done having struck his sixth goal in this season's competition against Bulgaria, briefly making him the U19's joint-leading scorer before Greece's Michalis Pavlis took his tally to seven including qualifying against Italy. "My job is to score goals and I need to do that – it's as simple as that," he said. "After the first win, it's certainly possible that we can get to the semi-finals. Spain and Germany will be tough opponents but our aim is to win every game – that's what we're hoping to achieve."

Anyway, Hungary won four U18 EC earlier but it is correct, since the system was changed, it is the first Hungarian appearance in U19 EC. Németh and Voli Koman will be shining stars from this team for sure. As for several other lads: time will tell.

The match tomorrow (Hungary vs. Spain) will be really interesting.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 07:43:10 am »
Spain were pretty poor in their 2-1 defeat, only real effort on goal and it took a deflection. Naive as Germany at the back but for all Spain's possession, it was Germany who were better in the final third/ Not too impressed by San Jose

Offline Aruns

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 08:10:49 am »
Spain were pretty poor in their 2-1 defeat, only real effort on goal and it took a deflection. Naive as Germany at the back but for all Spain's possession, it was Germany who were better in the final third/ Not too impressed by San Jose

True, they were poor vs Germany, so they must be FAR better tomorrow, or they are going to home. Last two U19 EC were win by Spain but now, they are in a pretty bad situation. IMHO Hungary and Germany will make it from this group and I hope, Németh will be the most succesful striker of the tournament.

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:48 pm »

Such a shame our kids don't measure up compared to your fantastic, amazing kids, isn't it?

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 06:15:39 pm »
Never said that at all. I never even seen said San Jose was a bad player, merely that he hadn't impressed me, yet you get all defensive

I criticized Gibbs as one of the attacking players of England, was more specific in my criticism of his performance on Arsenal boards as I imagined you guys wouldn't be as interested. I also pointed out your Hungary keeper had been praised, something overlooked in the praise of Nemeth, I don't see how this reflects badly on Liverpool

Can't say I'm sorry for having an outside view of a Liverpool player and saying it, I am sorry that this seems to offend you, so that you need to resort to trying to twist what I said into a insult of Liverpool's youth team

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 08:22:19 pm »
Spain, apparently, won 4 out of 6 last U19 competitions.
But this time around, they don't have Bojan Krkic.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 08:43:18 pm »
PS.  I was at the last Euro Under-19.  There was no Bojan Krkic.  And San Jose was a star in Spain's solid defence
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline dmn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 11:29:27 pm »
MagicHat

Spain had a shocking match against Germany, playing way below their normal standard. And surely San Jose was one of the best (or rather one of the least bad) Spanish players in that game.

Further, you have to recognize that the Germans had two very very powerful forwards (considering their age), so no doubt any defender in this tournament will struggle against them. However, the defenders (like San Jose) will learn to deal with that in the future as they grow - it's doubtful if said forwards can improve other sides of their game in the future to be good enough.

Basically, the Germany-Spain game here went exactly as I think the Euro final would have gone if Spain had played two up front and their slow slow slow sideways game that they did in earlier matches (ie, Spain not creating good chances and getting overpowered physically).

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 07:37:57 am »
Being one of the least bad isn't saying much.  ;) Though personally, just felt José María Antón was the best defender on show but then the winger he was facing, Marcel Risse wasn't having a great game either. Oh I accept it was just a bad game for Spain's defence and keeper and quite simply thought Timo Gebhart was superb, he just never lost the ball, the defenders are always going to struggle with anyone who performs like that. What would concern me with the Spain coach is how Sukuta-Pasu got in behind a couple of times.

Yes I am sure San Jose and the others will learn. Doesn't mean I was impressed with their performance that day

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 12:54:32 pm »
San Jose is one of the better defenders you will see at that age. Watch him over a full season and you'll see.

That being said, Nemeth gonna get him tonight :)

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 01:11:46 pm »
Anyone got any LINKS FOR THE GOALS please?

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 03:41:20 pm »
this is on soon

Online rowan_d

• boat. Seńor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2008, 03:46:57 pm »
Anyone got any LINKS FOR THE GOALS please?

Unfortunately not, as I'm having trouble controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE.

Offline Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2008, 04:16:22 pm »
Unfortunately not, as I'm having trouble controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE.
You too?
;D