Author Topic: Interview with Ángel Vales  (Read 6698 times)

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
Interview with Ángel Vales
« on: June 26, 2008, 06:19:16 pm »
This article is two days old and it was published by La Voz de Galicia (The Voice of Galicia)

"Benitez is one of the best managers in the world"

The Galician reckons that the English club is not the most powerful economically in Great Britain,
“but it is the most special club”

F.Hidalgo

The Spanish Liverpool has its share of Galician representation.  Ángel Vales (A Coruña, 1967) will soon begin working on his second season as one of Rafa Benitez’s collaborators, where he is employed as a coach for the reserves team and as the man responsible in the technical analysis department.

I assume that going from working at the Universidade da Coruña to Liverpool FC represents a massive change

- It’s a different type of work, more practical.  I hope that I can use the new experiences I’m living right now and that they can be of use in the area of academics in the future.

So far, has the English adventure been worth it?

- Without a doubt.

What have you learned from Rafa Benitez

- A lot.  For example, the importance of the small details in tactical work.  On a tactical level, he is one of the best managers in the world.  But the best thing is that despite having been so successful he never allows himself to relax or rest on his laurels, he is just as demanding of himself today as he was on the first day.  His level of self-demand is the same now as it was when I met him while he was working with Real Madrid’s youth teams.   He’s always looking for ways to improve, to apply the latest technologies as a means to support performance.  He is talented from a tactical analysis standpoint but besides that he has the labour and dedication.  For me, being a part of his staff is a mixture of satisfaction for being alongside of the best and of responsibility, because the level of demand we set ourselves is very high.

Is he very demanding of everyone else?

- It’s clear that by demanding a lot of himself he also expects the same from the players.

What is your place in the organizational chart at Liverpool?

- Under the supervision of Rafa Benitez, I train the reserves and then I’m in charge of the analysis department.

The reserves did quite well

- We won the league.  It’s a difficult league.  Our team is composed of very young lads of whom we hope to be the future of Liverpool in four years.  They are international players for their countries and with great promise.  This season French youngster Plessis , Argentinean Emiliano Insua  and Moroccan Nabil made their debuts for the first team.  This is the true aim of the reserve team, that a reasonable percentage of players end up playing for the first team; being champions is an anecdote but also a sign that Rafa Benitez wants a strong reserve team.

Do you have a certain degree of freedom to do your job

- Yes, inside of Rafa’s parameters, I do.  But we must not forget that the reserves share the dressing room with the first team and we pretty much train simultaneously.  Our lads can have breakfast, for example, with Torres.  And that is good.

By the way, What is Fernando Torres like?

- Very good.  Fernando is aware that he has many things he can improve.  And he is a humble lad, which will help him do so.  Besides, he is very ambitious.  This year he was an important part of the team.  He scored many goals and he gained the respect of the Premier.  I think that Rafa has done a great job with him and Fernando has paid him back with his performances.  I am sure that he won’t relax next season, he will try to improve what he did last season or at least be at the same level.

What is your analysis work like?

- There are five of us.  Two travel all around England watching games, another one elaborates scouting reports of the opposing teams, there is a video editor and then myself.  I coordinate and analyze our play.  I try to compile all the information possible about our football so that Rafa can analyze it later and use it as he sees fit in order to increase the team’s performance, which is what it’s all about.

If anyone is more than a club, that is Liverpool

- There are few teams at the same level, especially on a social level.  We have an amazing group of supporters and a tradition and values, like sacrifice and the desire to better yourself that help us get through the rough times.   The people in Liverpool are used to dealing with life’s struggles.  And all of this is transmitted to the team.  We may not be the most powerful club in England economically, but we are the most special club.

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/deportes/2008/06/25/0003_6934299.htm

Offline felix.

• easily impressed Baldrick Mark II
  • Legacy Fan
    • last.fm
Re: Interview with Ángel vales
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:21:37 pm »
Cheers mate, nice read, as always.
MOSES SAID COME FORTH
    BUT WE CAME FIRST

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
Re: Interview with Ángel Vales
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 06:25:48 pm »
:thumbup  Keep em coming.

The English media never come out with anything like this.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:26:04 pm »
I am surprised how you can see an interview in a newspaper from my own commune and translate it to english, even before I realise the existence of that interview.

How many newspapers do you read every day? ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:27:59 pm by phoenix wright »
But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:17 pm »
Very good read thanks for the interview.

Offline zimmie'5555

• passenger on an intergalactic spaceship... sometimes wishes he was a woman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 06:29:02 pm »
Gracias. The last line of that interview is particularly nice. 

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:29:56 pm »
I am surprised how you can see an interview in a newspaper from my own commune and translate it to english, even before I realise the existence of that interview.

I "apply the latest technologies as a means to support performance" as well ;) :P

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 06:30:12 pm »
Nice interview, cheers ASF.
I coordinate and analyze our play.  I try to compile all the information possible about our football so that Rafa can analyze it later and use it as he sees fit in order to increase the team’s performance, which is what it’s all about.
So do we blame Ángel Vales now for our poor attacking set-pieces?  :P
@_michaelgill

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:30:34 pm »

Man, nothing can resist the human babelfish (TM). ;)

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 06:30:38 pm »
Thanks for that ASF.
Justice for the 96.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:33:52 pm »
I "apply the latest technologies as a means to support performance" as well ;) :P

:lmao
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:43:42 pm »
Gracias ASF... or Grazas to keep with the tone. That's a great read, love reading these interviews, I know everyone keeps saying it but it's so true - they are miles better than the interviews in the UK press

Offline Mother.F

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:44:18 pm »
Nice read, seems like an intelligent man. With that last line, I think he'll fit right in.
Thank you ASF!

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 06:51:05 pm »
Thanks ASF.Nice read.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 06:55:10 pm »
thanks mate, great work

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 07:04:41 pm »
"we are the most special club".

Offline Tomrock

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Hobophobic
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 08:24:38 pm »
Already been done this a while back.
We are the noise they could not deal with

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 09:35:48 pm »
Always really enjoy reading these, so much better than the tat we have to put up with over here
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 09:42:44 pm »
Excellent. Thanks.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 09:49:27 pm »
Thanks for the translation.

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 09:52:57 pm »
Cheers !! Nice read.
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 03:04:24 am »
Once again ASF--- :wellin

You obviously like doing it and for that we are most gratefull.  :wave
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 03:14:45 am »
"On a tactical level, he is one of the best managers in the world.  But the best thing is that despite having been so successful he never allows himself to relax or rest on his laurels, he is just as demanding of himself today as he was on the first day.  His level of self-demand is the same now as it was when I met him while he was working with Real Madrid’s youth teams.   He’s always looking for ways to improve, to apply the latest technologies as a means to support performance.  He is talented from a tactical analysis standpoint but besides that he has the labour and dedication."

I think Rafa must train his employees to say these things, they all say nearly the exact same thing. It makes Rafa sound like a super-human football machine who has no life (which likely is the case and it's probably a 15-hour/day, 7 day/week job).

One day we'll find out Rafa's really like this:

Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 06:30:19 am »
Not wanting to sound negative, but one of my concerns with Rafa is that he immerses himself in the detail, without thinking to look up and see the other things with players - like confidence, momentum, psychological partnerships.

Far from being reassured when I read articles like this, I worry.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 07:02:34 am »
Not wanting to sound negative, but one of my concerns with Rafa is that he immerses himself in the detail, without thinking to look up and see the other things with players - like confidence, momentum, psychological partnerships.

Yes, he likes his detail and the set up Vales describes and also his use of phrases like Rafa's "parameters" describes a control freak!

But it's a little more complicated. We know it's not his style to be friendly with the players. But the young ones especially Babel and Lucas have always been very complimentary about the treatment and patience Rafa has shown to them. They also have been grateful for the confidence and opportunities he has offered them. It's also a peculiar Rafa trait that he will persist with players who are struggling if they are willing to work for improvement; his patience can vex the patience of his own supporters. As for psychological partnerships- I like to think that this year, Rafa made a lot of concessions towards Gerrard with playing him in the middle and in a role many thought Gerrard won't be suited for. To Gerrard's credibility he met Rafa's challenge and has largely excelled in the support striker role. To Rafa's credit- he has rejigged the entire team to support the psychological partnership that Torres and Gerrard share. Certain players have been sacrificed for it like Crouch and Alonso. That's probably his cold, calculating side in evidence but in order to gain in one area, you might have to sacrifice in others. Another thing is that for a man who supposedly lacks an awareness of the more emotional side of the club, Rafa has addressed his own weakness by opting for Sammy Lee. Again a calculated move, but a very important and humble one. Maybe Sammy has been forgotten in the ownership quarrels and the Euro, but I think his appointment is key to how the team will come together next season.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline Lanky

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 07:31:17 am »
quality read as always ASF! cheers
Martin Skrtel does not sleep. He waits.

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 07:52:51 am »
Good points there Mimi - particularly on Sammy Lee.

I've got to admit I saw it as a bit of a backwards step getting him in, but maybe Rafa did think he needs someone there to act as the bridge between him and the players, and also have someone to look after the people side of things.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 08:04:44 am »

I don't exactly worry, but it is a concern. Though I do think the manager-player relationship has improved this season. I've never seen Gerrard be so supportive of the manager than he has been come the end of last season. Maybe it's got to do with the fact that Rafa tried to carry the club forward, despite the ownership issues.

I think there's a good reason why Sammy was brought in.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline jake74

• Kemlynite
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 08:22:04 am »
Muchas gracias, teo!

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25:46 am »
Good points Mimi.

I like the way that the - wanting to play of LFC/work for LFC seems to permeate everyone associated with the club.

Thanks as always ASF

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 08:51:27 am »
But it's a little more complicated. We know it's not his style to be friendly with the players. But the young ones especially Babel and Lucas have always been very complimentary about the treatment and patience Rafa has shown to them.

Good comment. Dedicated young footballers are like dedicated carpenters, photographers etc. They like to talk about their craft, and they especially like to talk about it with experts. From various comments you get the feeling that Rafa will spend as much care and time explaining a fine point to an emerging player as he would to Alonso or Gerrard. It must make them feel 10 foot tall.

Thanks ASF for the article.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 11:28:31 am »
The funniest thing is what Arbeloa said-rafa criticizing him for even his basketball skills when he first arrived.

Offline phoenix wright

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Kid Torres
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 11:33:18 am »
The funniest thing is what Arbeloa said-rafa criticizing him for even his basketball skills when he first arrived.

I didn't know that, poor lad :lmao

But tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the sun.

Offline wednesday25052005

• Kopite
  • JFT96
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 11:37:39 am »
Nice on ASF, a good read.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 11:44:20 am »
Loved reading that, thanks again ASF.

The Galician reckons that the English club is not the most powerful economically in Great Britain, “but it is the most special club”

Good to see Rafa's filled him in, nice on Angel.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Josao23

• Main Stander
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 11:52:25 am »
Cheers mate, interesting read. There's a few videos on youtube with Rafa (or at least there was) going over how his analysis team use a range of tools to analyze the game. Got to say it looked a lot like Footy Manager!

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 09:24:08 am »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160347080628-0902.htm

Reds coach Angel Vales took time out from his pre-season preparations to explain his roles at the club and why he rates manager Rafael Benitez so highly in an interview we have translated from Spanish newspaper La Voz de Galicia.

:duh

Offline eskdale

• Legacy Fan
  • Nice shooting son, what's your name?
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 09:58:54 am »
Cheers ASF, its great to read some of Rafa's home press, it gives us a more detailed and varied perspective on him.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 11:41:06 am »

Understand the concern. The danger with details is that they sometimes hide the bigger picture.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Mascherano_20

• Main Stander
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 12:21:22 pm »
Great read always enjoy reading them kind of interviews.