Author Topic: An air of destiny...  (Read 23658 times)

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
An air of destiny...
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:27 pm »
I guess it was written in the stars really.

The European Cup final, in Rome, we always win in Rome.

Rafael Benitez held onto the European Cup as if it was his baby, and, well, it is. A third final in five years, and a second win. After the season he’d had, he deserved to be mentioned alongside Paisley and Shankly, and deep down he knew it.

A sweep around the stands showed you how much it meant. Kenny Dalglish with a grin as wide as the Mersey, John Aldridge and Phil Thompson unconscious from shock. Robbie Fowler, arrested for running up to the Mancs enclosure brandishing six fingers. This was as good as Istanbul, this was as good as Rome in 77. Rome 2009 was the time it happened, Liverpool won the treble for the first time. England’s most successful club had been backed against a wall, and they’d won it.

Just two weeks ago it was all so different. Steven Gerrard’s last minute penalty miss at Goodison meant United just needed to hold on to their slender 1-0 lead at Stoke, and the title was theres, and the double header of cup finals would take place with momentum on their side.
It was the third minute of stoppage time, Fergie frantically tapped his watch.

Ferdinand lumped the ball away and it landed at the feet of Salif Diao. Diao, on the back of one of the worst ever seasons a professional footballer has had, was booed instantly. But, rather than buckle, he suddenly grew in stature, as if the spirit of Shankly had gone through him. He sidestepped Rooney, nutmegged Giggs, played a one-two with erm, somebody else at Stoke, and all of a sudden was facing Ferdinand one on one. Ferdinand lunged in for a tackle, but Salif was away. He slotted the ball, under Van De Saar, and...and....YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS! The whole of Liverpool erupted.

It was incredible. After last minute winners by Diouf at Bolton, and Heskey at the JJB had slowed down United’s charge, all of a sudden, Houllier’s masterplan was uncovered. Salif, El Hadji, and Emile had finally repaid the £25million. 20 years since Hillsborough and Liverpool were bringing the title home. The all time league table read 19-17.

The FA Cup Final was, after that, a mere formality. The Mancs, missing Ronaldo and Tevez through suspension, never stood a hope, with a Gareth Barry free kick and a double from Torres cancelling out Owen Hargreaves early strike. All that could be heard around the country was “Na na na na na na na na (et all) Fernando Torres, Liverpool’s number nine.”

So, that was special enough. A season surely couldn’t be improved by that. But it was, the air of destiny which had followed Liverpool all season was still breezing around them.

This same air, which had seen Steve Bennett give Liverpool a nothing penalty at Old Trafford in the dying seconds. A penalty, which, when Ferguson animatedly asked “WHAT WAS THAT FOR?”, he admitted was “just for a laugh”. The same air which had seen Jamie Carragher – shifted to right back by Skrtel and Agger – invent himself as the Scouse Cafu and set up 36 goals. And that same air, which had brought home number 19, was still blowing a gentle breeze.

And so it was to be in Rome, that City of Liverpool’s most famous triumphs.

But, it was so nearly not so. After 57 seconds, Ryan Giggs volleyed United in front, NOOOO! We cried. But that wasn’t it, just before half time, two goals from Ronaldo had ended it.

“We won it fooooooourrrrrrrrrr times,” croned the inbreds.

We were shellshocked. But then, a lone voice started to sing amongst the tears and recriminations:
“Outsideeee the Shankly gates, I heard a kopite calling...”

And, within seconds, the 45,000 Liverpool fans who’d made the trip joined in. The noise echoed around the City, a noise so loud, and so passionate, it nearly arose Caesar from his grave.

Gerrard, Carragher and Alonso, the sole survivors from Istanbul, suddenly felt possessed by the memories. Gerrard walked over to Nando and said: “This is fucking yours Fernando, go get it la.”

And he did. We all know how the second half pans out, and the glorious finish, culminating in Gary Neville missing a penalty and then, tragically losing his leg in the process will be told for centuries.

As Rafa walked around the pitch with the European Cup, he noticed an almost greyed presence watching, approvingly from the Directors Box.

Before Rafa had a chance to mouth “Fuck off Parry you clown featured dipshit”, he noticed, that this was a presence that wasn’t really there. It was a presence he’d seen once before, on the 25th May 2005.

“Thanks Bill”, he whispered, to nobody but himself.

Then Carra grabbed the Cup of him, and the celebrations truly began...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:29:01 pm by Circa1892 »

Offline a former tribune of the plebs

• Legacy Fan
Re: An air of destiny...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:15:58 pm »
After reading this i am now sure i will cry if we win the league next year.

Offline Fernando09

• Legacy Fan
  • can i change my username please...? :(
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 11:18:28 pm »
great read i already feel like crying
If I live to be a hundred and Liverpool bring in genius managers who win Quadruples and Quintuples for the club, I'll always point to Rafa as the one who meant the most to me.

-Finn Solomon

Offline safhossain03

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:28:06 pm »
Creative being the operative word then.

Good, I'd give it B-.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:29:23 pm »
Creative being the operative word then.

Good, I'd give it B-.

That'll do me...

Offline scoreinaminute

• Anny Roader
  • "Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic." Emlyn
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 11:38:58 pm »
Absolute quality. Put the smile back on my face. Thanks lad!
"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing." Shanks

Offline El_Nino_9

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 11:46:40 pm »
Top notch!!! :-)

Offline freedom

• Legacy Fan
  • ♥ You'll never walk alone ♥
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 11:49:47 pm »
 :)
Bill Shankly: " A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. "

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸...¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
\¸.¤ LIVERPOOL¤*¨*¤.
.\¸.¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸.¸.¤*¨¨*¤.
..\
☻/
.▌
/ \

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:57:11 pm »
I love the Salif Diao bit. Priceless  ;D
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:27:44 am »

We must've signed him for a reason...

Offline zicrayfish

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 12:30:49 am »
awesome la, nice crystal ball.
you beauty - what a hit son, what a hit
OOOOOHHH YOUUU BEAUTTYYY!!- What a hit son, what a hit!
Liverpool 3-1 Olympiakos

Offline Flame1845

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 12:31:27 am »
so weve resorted to fantasy have we.

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 12:35:12 am »
If that does happen, and well, I'd be a bit surprised if it did to say the least, then I think Houllier will have to go down as a fcuking genius. That really cheered me up immensely. Cheers!

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 12:37:09 am »
all funny but my favourite bit.....

it landed at the feet of Salif Diao. Diao, on the back of one of the worst ever seasons a professional footballer has had, was booed instantly. But, rather than buckle, he suddenly grew in stature, as if the spirit of Shankly had gone through him. He sidestepped Rooney, nutmegged Giggs, played a one-two with erm, somebody else at Stoke, and all of a sudden was facing Ferdinand one on one. Ferdinand lunged in for a tackle, but Salif was away. He slotted the ball, under Van De Saar, and...and....YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS! The whole of Liverpool erupted.

;D
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline Tricia Dingle

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 12:39:02 am »
 :wellin

Hahaha, cheered me up no end!

Next season...next season...

:)

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 12:43:45 am »
A+

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 12:49:13 am »
Thanks for that mate...
ynwa

Offline Captain Caveman

• Peter Andre's Disney-sponsored rapping cousin
  • Legacy Fan
  • Erik, Igor and Momo.
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 01:00:55 am »
If that does happen, and well, I'd be a bit surprised if it did to say the least
I'd love to see what would make you really surprised.
Sabu retch at putrid "fan", born to screech, doom'd to lose.
MANCHESTER EVERTON AND FUCK.
Says it all

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 01:02:13 am »

;D

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 01:38:25 am »
;D

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 01:52:58 am »
I'd settle for 2 3rd's of that, brilliant though mate!

Offline kingluisgarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • Twitter@MattWood23
    • JustAnotherFootballBlog
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 01:58:08 am »
Very good.

If only eh!

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 01:58:23 am »
I find this embarrassing. On a day that another club completes the double we resort to fantasy land. We're better than that.
Sorry.
I think maybe I'm a bit grumpy.

Offline minusone

• considered rubbish
  • Legacy Fan
  • Resurrection 2.0
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 02:01:55 am »
Ooo-ooo-oo-oo-ooo-ooooooh
We've got the best midfield in the world...
We've got Xabi Alonso, Masch-er-ano, Gerrard and Diao at Stoke-oooo-oooo
Fired?? He should be shot! With shit, human shit!

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 02:03:13 am »
Sorry lad... good start but as soon as I got to Liverpool and treble, I stopped reading. I just can't see us being good enough to win the league let alone 2 cups AND the league... not being pessimistic; just that the reality is, we've got 2 c*nt owners, we look as though we're selling one of our better players to fund transfers, and our rivals have just contested a Champions League final, one of which won the double.

It may only be 11 points, a gap of a few wins either way, luck... but it feels like a fucking Grand Canyon of a chasm between us, and the winners- just because of everything going on.

Maybe I'll read it properly tomorrow, but today's just been shite (generally, then ended in watching John fucking Terry the c*nt of a lump bottle it bigstyle).

:-\
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 02:05:39 am »
so weve resorted to fantasy have we.

Hope not, though you never know .
There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 02:06:05 am »
I find this embarrassing. On a day that another club completes the double we resort to fantasy land. We're better than that.
Sorry.
I think maybe I'm a bit grumpy.
Whilst I can understand your frustation, I think it's just people's way of escaping and looking forward to next season. We're all in need of a lift at the moment and I think that this is why this post was written. It cheered me up for one.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 02:08:03 am »
Offer me a million quid or this becoming true I turn the money down with ease

Then bet on it all. Would liquidise Ladbrokes
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 02:10:10 am »
Sorry lad... good start but as soon as I got to Liverpool and treble, I stopped reading. I just can't see us being good enough to win the league let alone 2 cups AND the league... not being pessimistic; just that the reality is, we've got 2 c*nt owners, we look as though we're selling one of our better players to fund transfers, and our rivals have just contested a Champions League final, one of which won the double.

It may only be 11 points, a gap of a few wins either way, luck... but it feels like a fucking Grand Canyon of a chasm between us, and the winners- just because of everything going on.

Maybe I'll read it properly tomorrow, but today's just been shite (generally, then ended in watching John fucking Terry the c*nt of a lump bottle it bigstyle).

:-\

Have faith and while you do, remember terry dont play for us ,never has and never will.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:11:58 am by heatseeker »

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 02:18:01 am »
Have faith and while you do, remember terry dont play for us ,never has and never will.

Faith in what? The team? Rafa? Yes, I have faith in them. The club as a collective? Not so much. Faith in the referees, luck? No.

Don't get your second point- didn't think I was implying Terry did play for us.

If we win the league next year I don't know what I'll do. I literally don't know what would happen to me. That's how big a deal it would be. But I just don't think we're quite there yet. Hopefully by the end of the summer we will be. Judging by the way this pre-pre season has kicked off though...
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 02:25:21 am »
Whilst I can understand your frustation, I think it's just people's way of escaping and looking forward to next season. We're all in need of a lift at the moment and I think that this is why this post was written. It cheered me up for one.

Make that two mate,

We're gonna win the league  ;D

Offline Jambo Power

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 02:27:52 am »
Shite.

Offline SupaDupaReds

• Anny Roader
  • Apna @ the game
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 02:30:54 am »
---------------torres----------------
babel------------------------keane
---------------gerrard---------------
----------alonso----masch---------

Offline Vladi Legend

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:34 am »
He sidestepped Rooney, nutmegged Giggs and, played a one-two with erm, somebody else at Stoke,

This same air, which had seen Steve Bennett give Liverpool a nothing penalty at Old Trafford in the dying seconds. A penalty, which, when Ferguson animatedly asked “WHAT WAS THAT FOR?”, he admitted was “just for a laugh”.

And he did. We all know how the second half pans out, and the glorious finish, culminating in Gary Neville missing a penalty and then, tragically losing his leg in the process will be told for generations.

:lmao :lmao :lmao
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:39:07 am by Vladi Legend »
Ya we have been talking in the half time, we need to do something, we need to change things and maybe if we score then it will be different and we scored and it was different.  - Rafael Benitez Ataturk Stadium Istanbul 26 May 2005

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 02:43:53 am »

I find it embarrassing because if I was a Man United fan, reading this I'd be laughing my tits off. I accept I am not in the best of moods   >:(

Offline coffeehead

• A Lack Of Real Spice In His Life
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 04:25:07 am »
Great stuff. But I notice a careful non-mention of the ownership situation in a year's time. Is it all still going on and unresolved then?

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 05:43:04 am »
hahahahaha i love the part on the return of Salif Diao! god it's incredible that he will be playing again in top division!

Offline vader90

• Legacy Fan
  • The eternal optimist - Everything happens for good
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 06:44:27 am »
Salif Diao ;D
Roll up, roll up for the Liverpool FC circus, in town every fucking week.

Offline Fellaini

• Anny Roader
  • They talk dead funny but they play dead great
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2008, 07:04:53 am »
Hope the Gary Neville bit comes true. Wanker.

Offline merseypride

• Has given up luncheon meat. Believes himself to be the reincarnation of Nostradamus
  • Kopite
  • Liverpool Football Club.....The Only way is UP!
    • Exclusive Contests
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2008, 07:05:24 am »
Hoping never harmed anyone....however, as much as i wish that all what you written turns out  to be true, all I need at this moment is fantasasing this way!!

With G & H in charge, and the usual hype at the start of every pre season, I feel very negative.  I know its not the best way to look forward, but if you dont have your house in order, (refering to the boardroom troubles!!!) then, I dont know what kind of backing to get high quality players, we can get this summer to make your script happen!
Liverpool FC .... Things can only get Better!!