Author Topic: Andy Gray's epiphany  (Read 30027 times)

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
Re: Andy Gray's epiphany
« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2008, 07:18:22 pm »
I don't want to appear to defend him because he is our player, that would be naive of me. We have to put it all in perspective. Bennett should have got his own demeanor right before the game - he should have noted that it was a big occasion and flashing yellows too early will inevitably end in a red, and inevitably ruin the game, how many times have we seen it.

His 1st yellow was harsh for a LOW mistimed tackle, so he'd already created a problem for himself.

He hadn't prepared himself, mentally for the game and he got carried away emotionally. What the fuck was Torres booked for? So Masch asks a question and is subjected to the most ridiculous punishment without even hurting anyone on the pitch except Bennett's ego.

I may have come across as a blind supporter but you know what I mean.

And your points are all true. Bennett failed as a referee yesterday. Simple as that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 07:32:58 pm by litliper »
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline Glenbuck1914

• Main Stander
« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2008, 07:24:48 pm »
As Captain ,Gerrard should have been the one in Mascherano's shoes, asking the ref why Torres was being booked after he'd just had the shit kicked out of him?
However, I disagree, because had he done so, he would have also earned himself a yellow card.

Agree 100% about our Captain  "quiet as a fucking mouse" Gerrard. And disagree about the yellow- isn't the captain on pitch allowed to approach the ref regarding such matters???

Offline evered avenue

• Anny Roader
« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2008, 07:38:45 pm »
Let's get one thing straight, Andy Gray was not sticking up for us, he was sticking up for the injustice on Mascherano.

He often praises some of our players, individuals in the squad but he never sticks up for us as a club or as a team.

He may have said, 'get in you beauty' praising Stevie's goal but he also said, 'that's game over, I guess' with a dejected inflection when Torres scored in Milan and I'll never forget how smug he looked at half time in Istanbul.

Personally, his over the top histrionics trying to kiss up to us a bit, I think were just a follow on from the slap on the wrist Sky gave him a couple of weeks ago, after he was exposed as being bias against us.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:05 pm »
He may have said, 'get in you beauty' praising Stevie's goal but he also said, 'that's game over, I guess' with a dejected inflection when Torres scored in Milan and I'll never forget how smug he looked at half time in Istanbul.

I thought it was game over as well. So did all the liverpool fans I was watching it with.

Personally, his over the top histrionics trying to kiss up to us a bit, I think were just a follow on from the slap on the wrist Sky gave him a couple of weeks ago, after he was exposed as being bias against us.

Man United and Everton fans think he has a hard on for us and that he is biased towards us. We think he has a hard on for them.

Or maybe he is just giving his honest opinion.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2008, 07:51:53 pm »
My brother in law is a blue nose and says they all hate him for the SG goal praise. There's "a I'm bitter towards Andy Gray" thread on here, so I guess he can't win.

Even this week I wrote that I wasn't looking forward to him cream himself live on telly if MU score, now I find I admire his impartial disgust he has shown towards Bennett.

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #325 on: March 24, 2008, 07:57:43 pm »
someone tell me what was said by both redknapp and gray. i was at old toliet so obviously dont know
At HT, Richard Keys asked 'In the current climate was Mascherano potty to question Bennett's decision to book Torres.

Gray said 'What climate?', so Keys said, after all that was said about Ashley Cole reaction to getting booked this week.

Gray said, 'so you can't talk to the referee now?' He then went through the incident, 'Torres has taken a couple of kicks, from Scholes, and then Ferdinand brings him down. He's asking the question of the referee.'

Redknapp interjects: 'He wants a bit of protection.'

Gray agrees and says, 'Steve Bennett sticks the card up, why? That appointment worried me from the moment I heard it. Now Mascherano, watch, he comes across, is this a man that's out of control, or raving? He's saying "what's happening?" Does a player deserve to be sent off for that?'

Redknapp says 'Because he'd already been booked, I think you're running the risk, especially as what happened with Ashley Cole. I'm not trying to be righteous, I was playing a few years ago and there's a lot of passion in the game, but players have a responsibility to act, because kids are watching everywhere.

Gray says, 'So you can't say "What's happening?"

Redknapp replies 'You can, but by running 20 yards...'

Gray, '...Look he's out of control now, had he been like that when he went to the referee, no sympathy whatsoever, but not only do players have responsibility, the officials have responsibility not to ruin the game either and to be big enough to be able to control the football match.'

Redknapp says, 'He'd been booked.'

Gray continues, '...and that referee, I'm sorry, I don't think he was big enough to control that situation as he should have done.'

Redknapp says, 'I agree, I think Steve Bennett lost control when he booked Torres. But as soon as that happened, Mascherano he's been booked, he's made another foul, he run 20 yards past Alonso to get involved, I just think he should have just stayed out of the way there was no reason for him to get involved. You're running the risk, especially at the moment, because every Premier League player, the way that the game has gone this week with what Ashley Cole has done, is risking getting booked or sent-off.'

Gray, 'Lets sanitize the game!', Redknapp, 'It's not about that...',

Gray, '[Mascherano] sees his main striker get hacked down twice and then to compound it pick up a yellow card.'

Redknapp, 'He was running the risk, surely you've got to think to yourself, I've already been booked.'

Gray, 'If he was ranting and raving I'd agree with you, but he said "What's happening?", so Steve Bennett sends him off, well done Steve.'

Keys says, 'Steve Bennett was watching last week when Ashley Cole got booked, and Keith Hackett said today he should have done something about that, he should have entered the field of play and sent him off. Is he edgy, is he on tenter-hooks for having been fingered for a lack of responsibility the other night?'

Gray says, 'Well if you've just been whacked by your boss, then I guess you are a bit edgy. Whether that influence what he did there, I have no idea.'

-------------------------------------------------

In Gray's analysis after the game, Keys asked about Torres, 'Were Man Utd were a little physical with him today, was that what he was complaining about when he got booked and that sparked Mascherano's sending-off?'

Gray said, 'I don't think they were. First and foremost, Mascherano was really disappointed with his booking, that rattled him we could tell that from the minute it happened. He slid in on Scholes, a lot of referees would have let it go, Bennett decided that he wouldn't...he decided that he'd book him, and he was rattled by that Mascherano, you could see that in his play. I think that when Torres,...Steve Bennett has his own unique way of refereeing a game, it's not mine, and a lot of people would say he was 100% right. I don't think he was...'

'...As Torres gets the ball he's hit there by Ferdinand, he gets up, wins it again. Scholes has a little hack at him here, doesn't get it. He gets past [Ferdinand] here and he's just knocked out of the way. Now, Rio Ferdinand knows what he's doing, this is a player you don't want up and running at you. So [Torres] is about to say "You booked Mascherano a minute ago"...roughly..."what's happening?" He's pointing roughly where [Bennett] booked Mascherano. Mascherano is on his way over now, I don't know what [Torres] is saying there [Torres is making a 'mouthing' gesture with his hand]. And Steve Bennett just decides, right I'm going to book you. I mean to me, unnecessary. A proper referee would have had a word and say "Listen Fernando, I know how you feel, let's get on with the game."

Keys' says, 'When you say "proper" you mean a different referee?'

Gray, 'Well a different referee then. Now, I've listened to Jamie [Redknapp] and Tony [Adams], and I agree with them that [Mascherano] should have stayed away. Forget that, he didn't.'

Key's says, '[Bennett's] saying I'm sending you off isn't he, go away.'

Gray, 'But is that aggressive?'

Keys, 'Well it's not, but he shouldn't be there.'

Gray, 'No, no. Are you telling me that Steve Bennett is going to send off every single player that comes up to him and says, "What's happening?"

Keys, 'Well maybe in a week like this, when there's been a reaction to Ashley Cole's misbehaviour at White Hart Lane. Steve Bennett was there as 4th official and was criticised by his own boss. He's got to react to that himself.'

Gray, 'But it doesn't make that right, why? Ashley Cole should have been dismissed, no question about it. If Mike Riley had done his job, he should have sent Cole off. His treatment of the referee was a disgrace. To turn his back on him like that - whether you like referees or not - was wrong, ill-advised, and he shouldn't have done it. He should have been sent off and that would have been the end of it. But if your telling me, you go up to a referee, and standing in front of him you say "What's happening?", not aggressive, there's nothing in that attitude that's aggression...he didn't swear at him, so where are we going with this game?'

Key's 'We're in a situation where if a player's booked he shouldn't go and noise-up the referee because he's going to send you off...'

Gray says, 'What's happening? What's happening? What's happening?...Send me off! I mean, do me favour Richard, I'm sorry. There are problems in the game and Ashley Cole was an unpleasant part of modern-day football, but if we're going talk about sending a player off for going up to a referee and saying "What's happening?" and the referee cannot handle it and reacts like that every time, then we've got a problem.'

Keys, 'In fairness to Ashley Cole he did apologise.'

Gray, 'Yeah, but he was wrong, totally wrong. This is a different situation. Jamie was right, [Mascherano] was wrong to go there, but he went and all he was saying was "What's wrong?" because he was thte one that got booked and often in these situations it is the player who thinks he's been booked harshly who goes to a referee and says, "What's going on, you've booked me, why this?"

Keys, 'You know what Tony Adams said earlier, he's in the Brian Clough school, just stay away...'

Gray, 'Tony Adams, I remember when he called the toss heads, and he argued with the ref that he'd called tails...'

Keys, 'A lighter moment to leave something very serious.'

Gray, 'It was serious, the games were built up today...I know Sir Alex isn't concerned, and people at home will say he should have stayed away, but if Steve Bennett is going to start sending off players for saying "What's happening?"...and I'll tell you another thing, in the second half, a player went up to Steve Bennett and gave him a verbal volley. Industrial language, right at him. Right? And nothing.'

Keys, 'Which one?'

Gray, 'I'm not telling you, it's not my business to get them into trouble, but that's what happens. So suddenly, if you say "What's happening?" to the referee you get sent off and if you give him a verbal volley, you don't.'

Keys, 'Enough.'
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:04:57 pm by Harry_Wong »
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2008, 08:02:29 pm »
Andy Gray was spot on all day and fair.

We were shite and Steve Bennett is a twat.

I think that about sums up Grand Slam Sunday. Oh yes, and I'm now supporting Chelsea for the League.

Offline JoeK210185

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dirk-horse, Benno Magic
« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2008, 11:54:36 pm »
At HT, Richard Keys asked 'In the current climate was Mascherano potty to question Bennett's decision to book Torres.

Gray said 'What climate?', so Keys said, after all that was said about Ashley Cole reaction to getting booked this week.

Gray said, 'so you can't talk to the referee now?' He then went through the incident, 'Torres has taken a couple of kicks, from Scholes, and then Ferdinand brings him down. He's asking the question of the referee.'

Redknapp interjects: 'He wants a bit of protection.'

Gray agrees and says, 'Steve Bennett sticks the card up, why? That appointment worried me from the moment I heard it. Now Mascherano, watch, he comes across, is this a man that's out of control, or raving? He's saying "what's happening?" Does a player deserve to be sent off for that?'

Redknapp says 'Because he'd already been booked, I think you're running the risk, especially as what happened with Ashley Cole. I'm not trying to be righteous, I was playing a few years ago and there's a lot of passion in the game, but players have a responsibility to act, because kids are watching everywhere.

Gray says, 'So you can't say "What's happening?"

Redknapp replies 'You can, but by running 20 yards...'

Gray, '...Look he's out of control now, had he been like that when he went to the referee, no sympathy whatsoever, but not only do players have responsibility, the officials have responsibility not to ruin the game either and to be big enough to be able to control the football match.'

Redknapp says, 'He'd been booked.'

Gray continues, '...and that referee, I'm sorry, I don't think he was big enough to control that situation as he should have done.'

Redknapp says, 'I agree, I think Steve Bennett lost control when he booked Torres. But as soon as that happened, Mascherano he's been booked, he's made another foul, he run 20 yards past Alonso to get involved, I just think he should have just stayed out of the way there was no reason for him to get involved. You're running the risk, especially at the moment, because every Premier League player, the way that the game has gone this week with what Ashley Cole has done, is risking getting booked or sent-off.'

Gray, 'Lets sanitize the game!', Redknapp, 'It's not about that...',

Gray, '[Mascherano] sees his main striker get hacked down twice and then to compound it pick up a yellow card.'

Redknapp, 'He was running the risk, surely you've got to think to yourself, I've already been booked.'

Gray, 'If he was ranting and raving I'd agree with you, but he said "What's happening?", so Steve Bennett sends him off, well done Steve.'

Keys says, 'Steve Bennett was watching last week when Ashley Cole got booked, and Keith Hackett said today he should have done something about that, he should have entered the field of play and sent him off. Is he edgy, is he on tenter-hooks for having been fingered for a lack of responsibility the other night?'

Gray says, 'Well if you've just been whacked by your boss, then I guess you are a bit edgy. Whether that influence what he did there, I have no idea.'

-------------------------------------------------

In Gray's analysis after the game, Keys asked about Torres, 'Were Man Utd were a little physical with him today, was that what he was complaining about when he got booked and that sparked Mascherano's sending-off?'

Gray said, 'I don't think they were. First and foremost, Mascherano was really disappointed with his booking, that rattled him we could tell that from the minute it happened. He slid in on Scholes, a lot of referees would have let it go, Bennett decided that he wouldn't...he decided that he'd book him, and he was rattled by that Mascherano, you could see that in his play. I think that when Torres,...Steve Bennett has his own unique way of refereeing a game, it's not mine, and a lot of people would say he was 100% right. I don't think he was...'

'...As Torres gets the ball he's hit there by Ferdinand, he gets up, wins it again. Scholes has a little hack at him here, doesn't get it. He gets past [Ferdinand] here and he's just knocked out of the way. Now, Rio Ferdinand knows what he's doing, this is a player you don't want up and running at you. So [Torres] is about to say "You booked Mascherano a minute ago"...roughly..."what's happening?" He's pointing roughly where [Bennett] booked Mascherano. Mascherano is on his way over now, I don't know what [Torres] is saying there [Torres is making a 'mouthing' gesture with his hand]. And Steve Bennett just decides, right I'm going to book you. I mean to me, unnecessary. A proper referee would have had a word and say "Listen Fernando, I know how you feel, let's get on with the game."

Keys' says, 'When you say "proper" you mean a different referee?'

Gray, 'Well a different referee then. Now, I've listened to Jamie [Redknapp] and Tony [Adams], and I agree with them that [Mascherano] should have stayed away. Forget that, he didn't.'

Key's says, '[Bennett's] saying I'm sending you off isn't he, go away.'

Gray, 'But is that aggressive?'

Keys, 'Well it's not, but he shouldn't be there.'

Gray, 'No, no. Are you telling me that Steve Bennett is going to send off every single player that comes up to him and says, "What's happening?"

Keys, 'Well maybe in a week like this, when there's been a reaction to Ashley Cole's misbehaviour at White Hart Lane. Steve Bennett was there as 4th official and was criticised by his own boss. He's got to react to that himself.'

Gray, 'But it doesn't make that right, why? Ashley Cole should have been dismissed, no question about it. If Mike Riley had done his job, he should have sent Cole off. His treatment of the referee was a disgrace. To turn his back on him like that - whether you like referees or not - was wrong, ill-advised, and he shouldn't have done it. He should have been sent off and that would have been the end of it. But if your telling me, you go up to a referee, and standing in front of him you say "What's happening?", not aggressive, there's nothing in that attitude that's aggression...he didn't swear at him, so where are we going with this game?'

Key's 'We're in a situation where if a player's booked he shouldn't go and noise-up the referee because he's going to send you off...'

Gray says, 'What's happening? What's happening? What's happening?...Send me off! I mean, do me favour Richard, I'm sorry. There are problems in the game and Ashley Cole was an unpleasant part of modern-day football, but if we're going talk about sending a player off for going up to a referee and saying "What's happening?" and the referee cannot handle it and reacts like that every time, then we've got a problem.'

Keys, 'In fairness to Ashley Cole he did apologise.'

Gray, 'Yeah, but he was wrong, totally wrong. This is a different situation. Jamie was right, [Mascherano] was wrong to go there, but he went and all he was saying was "What's wrong?" because he was thte one that got booked and often in these situations it is the player who thinks he's been booked harshly who goes to a referee and says, "What's going on, you've booked me, why this?"

Keys, 'You know what Tony Adams said earlier, he's in the Brian Clough school, just stay away...'

Gray, 'Tony Adams, I remember when he called the toss heads, and he argued with the ref that he'd called tails...'

Keys, 'A lighter moment to leave something very serious.'

Gray, 'It was serious, the games were built up today...I know Sir Alex isn't concerned, and people at home will say he should have stayed away, but if Steve Bennett is going to start sending off players for saying "What's happening?"...and I'll tell you another thing, in the second half, a player went up to Steve Bennett and gave him a verbal volley. Industrial language, right at him. Right? And nothing.'

Keys, 'Which one?'

Gray, 'I'm not telling you, it's not my business to get them into trouble, but that's what happens. So suddenly, if you say "What's happening?" to the referee you get sent off and if you give him a verbal volley, you don't.'

Keys, 'Enough.'

Ta for that mate

Gone up in my estimations, as Redknapp has gone down, as per usual
fuck u moyes you fucking bugeyed c*nt

YNWA
                              JFT96

Offline Wyl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »
It's a horrible feeling knowing you are sitting there agreeing with Andy Gray

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2008, 01:00:24 am »
if andy gray is talking sense you have to agree with him

he was spot on with what he said

lets see what he is like next sunday!

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #330 on: March 26, 2008, 01:05:22 am »
Well fucking said Grey.
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline Mascherrardorres

• Anny Roader
« Reply #331 on: March 26, 2008, 02:14:02 am »
it's a love-hate relationship

Offline Мерфи

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: March 26, 2008, 02:35:49 am »
Say what you will about Andy Gray - He infuriates me as much as the next person.  But when he isn't talking shite, he's talking sense.  Love/Hate as said earlier.

Redknapp had NOTHING.  He kept on repeating over and over again, Masch shouldn't have been there, stay away, blah blah blah.  That's a point, but not the point.  The point is the ref has got to look at himself just as much in this case.  The ref has made himself a part of this game.  This was not a foul on another player.  This was largely between a player and a ref.  The game wasn't out of control among the players, it was out of control between Masch and Bennett.  Two to tango and all that?
Never argue with a fool . . . people may not know the difference .

Offline cox3100

• Would love to congratulate Siralex.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • justice for the 96
« Reply #333 on: March 26, 2008, 09:27:43 am »
Say what you will about Andy Gray - He infuriates me as much as the next person.  But when he isn't talking shite, he's talking sense.  Love/Hate as said earlier.

Redknapp had NOTHING.  He kept on repeating over and over again, Masch shouldn't have been there, stay away, blah blah blah.  That's a point, but not the point.  The point is the ref has got to look at himself just as much in this case.  The ref has made himself a part of this game.  This was not a foul on another player.  This was largely between a player and a ref.  The game wasn't out of control among the players, it was out of control between Masch and Bennett.  Two to tango and all that?
ok but hes still a blueshite c*nt

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #334 on: March 26, 2008, 09:54:35 am »
andy gray was right.

but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

but still
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline mariov77

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #335 on: March 26, 2008, 10:05:02 am »
Man United and Everton fans think he has a hard on for us and that he is biased towards us. We think he has a hard on for them.

Or maybe he is just giving his honest opinion.

What are you saying is true. We all complain about the media but so does other teams fans. And we all turn a blind eye to the good words sometimes.

Andy Gray is not as bad as we make him out to be imo ..

The past was amazing the future looks scary...

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #336 on: March 26, 2008, 10:32:26 am »
What exactly does Jamie Redknapp say that's out of order?

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #337 on: March 26, 2008, 10:41:14 am »

Everything.

Bottling little shithouse of a player, and fucking even worse as a "pundit".

Fuck off with your clichés you useless fucking fairy.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #338 on: March 26, 2008, 10:52:49 am »
To be fair to Gray - he does talk a load of pap sometimes - but you've got to hold your hand up and agree with him when he's talking sense.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2008, 11:02:56 am »
To be fair to Gray - he does talk a load of pap sometimes - but you've got to hold your hand up and agree with him when he's talking sense.

Basically this all said to me that Andy Gray doesn't care much about Masch or LFC but he cares a huge amount about football in the UK. He wants to see a fair game played well between two good sides at the top of the league.

Bennett lost the plot and Gray called it while everyone else jumped on the media bandwagon.

He's a bitter but here, he's right and it benefits us.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #340 on: March 26, 2008, 11:04:21 am »
I think it comes down to the type of player Gray was.
Regardless of whether you liked him, he was passionate and got stuck in.
That's why he got so annoyed by the treatment of Masch...he saw it as completely disproportionate to the situation, which it was. It was a case of a reteree acting way outside the boundaries of common sense.

Referees these days don't take much more abuse than they used to, but they are far more aloof and out of touch than in the past. They act in a way that can only cause antagonism. It's pathetic.

It's not that long ago that the likes of Roger Milford was refereeing, who would have a bit of a laugh with the players and made it clear what he expected. They didn't trample on him for that, they respected him more.

The only way to sort it is to mic the referees up properly, so the fans can hear what he was to say. It would also mean that players are less likely to mouth off near the mic, sorting out 2 problems in one go. At the minute, referees can dish out punishments without having to properly explain them and we have the ridiculous situation whereby a player cannot be retrospectively punished if the referee has given him a yellow because it might undermine the ref! It's so arse about face it beggars belief.

No wonder Masch had difficulty leaving the pitch. If that wanker had looked down his nose on me like Bennett had done, I'd have had great difficulty doing otherwise, especially when my command of the language isn't great. I think most people would be the exact same.
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline Stef08

• Main Stander
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »
Gray is a good commentator though hes a crap pundit and analyser, he's not biased to any team though usually just talks bollocks

Offline MJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: March 26, 2008, 05:01:16 pm »
Gray is a good commentator though hes a crap pundit and analyser, he's not biased to any team though usually just talks bollocks

I find him annoying as a commentator due to the amount of shit he talks post-match. The only thing stopping him being the worst analysist on TV is a certain Jamie Redknapp.

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #343 on: March 26, 2008, 05:02:17 pm »
Whatever Andy Gray's commentary's are like, 90% of people on this forum think a pundit is a c*nt if they say one bad word about Liverpool ::)

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: March 26, 2008, 05:02:53 pm »
Gray in my opinion is the best commentator and analyst in the game.

Online abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2008, 05:06:54 pm »
That's why he got so annoyed by the treatment of Masch...he saw it as completely disproportionate to the situation, which it was. It was a case of a reteree acting way outside the boundaries of common sense.

Referees these days don't take much more abuse than they used to, but they are far more aloof and out of touch than in the past. They act in a way that can only cause antagonism. It's pathetic.

It's not that long ago that the likes of Roger Milford was refereeing, who would have a bit of a laugh with the players and made it clear what he expected. They didn't trample on him for that, they respected him more.

The only way to sort it is to mic the referees up properly, so the fans can hear what he was to say. It would also mean that players are less likely to mouth off near the mic, sorting out 2 problems in one go. At the minute, referees can dish out punishments without having to properly explain them and we have the ridiculous situation whereby a player cannot be retrospectively punished if the referee has given him a yellow because it might undermine the ref! It's so arse about face it beggars belief.

No wonder Masch had difficulty leaving the pitch. If that wanker had looked down his nose on me like Bennett had done, I'd have had great difficulty doing otherwise, especially when my command of the language isn't great. I think most people would be the exact same.

You talk a lot of sense mate.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2008, 02:25:55 am »
This is a video clip of the half-time argument:

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=RV6C1LHK

I think Andy Gray is usually a populist, saying what most of the audience want to hear - supporting popular players, chiding others often with little reason.

In this case he was being a contrarian and go against the prevailing FA line, which helps him to be more noticed as 'controversial' - that helps in the media. I also think it's in character, he doesn't have a lot of sympathy for referees, and he prefers 'the man's game' to a 'sanitised game'.

Some weeks you'll agree, some you won't. Just don't take it too seriously.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:28:35 am by Harry_Wong »
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline ashy9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: March 27, 2008, 02:44:48 am »

Spot on......Andy Gray was looking at it from the position of the player and in this instance he his 100% right. As he says there was other players who went up to the ref and nothing happened. I think that Bennett lost control of the game and wanted to stamp his authority, however wrong he was. The fact that Masch has now been charged by the FA is a fucking disgrace! Referee's in my opinion need to have more consequences to their actions, Bennett should also be banned for 3 matches for bringing the art of refereeing into disrepute and I can think of a few others that deserve that as well!

Offline mgrlane

• Main Stander
« Reply #348 on: March 27, 2008, 02:53:59 am »
This is a video clip of the half-time argument:

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=RV6C1LHK

I think Andy Gray is usually a populist, saying what most of the audience want to hear - supporting popular players, chiding others often with little reason.

In this case he was being a contrarian and go against the prevailing FA line, which helps him to be more noticed as 'controversial' - that helps in the media. I also think it's in character, he doesn't have a lot of sympathy for referees, and he prefers 'the man's game' to a 'sanitised game'.

Watched the game in the pub and went out for a fag at half time, glad I missed this, it would have wound me up even more. Fuck me Jamie Redknapp, what a tosser.

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2008, 02:54:35 am »
Bennett targeted us.   Everything worked as planned.  Fuck em..they are shite.

Is Bennett ashamed.. course he's not.

c*nt.

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline redman1977

• Legacy Fan
  • Biggedy biggedy bong so it is
« Reply #350 on: March 27, 2008, 04:36:24 am »
The day MIC's get used by referees is the day the abuse stops, should have been done ages ago.
 They won't for a while though because a lot of England internationals will get in serious trouble.
Especially one little fat one   :wanker
The greatest night of my life so far

25/05/2005 Attaturk Stadium, Istanbul

North Tribune    Block 306   Row 13   Seat  343

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2008, 05:17:31 am »
Fair play to him, takes the correct view.

Offline minusone

• considered rubbish
  • Legacy Fan
  • Resurrection 2.0
« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2008, 05:24:41 am »
Andy Gray - Dead set fuckpot.
Andy Gray's comments above - Dead set on the fucking ball.

Hate the guy, but when he's right, he's right. And this... is one of those times.
Fired?? He should be shot! With shit, human shit!

Offline Antony

• Stupid, thick cup of soupio
  • Legacy Fan
  • Barack Obam-la is Scouse Society
« Reply #353 on: March 28, 2008, 03:53:14 pm »
Andy Gray was spot on.

Jamie Redknapp was spot on about how Javier shouldn't of been there.
Aye lad, whens the remix coming out?

Offline Camina Camina

• Legacy Fan
  • Venga Chico's
« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2008, 04:19:09 pm »
Whatever Andy Gray's commentary's are like, 90% of people on this forum think a pundit is a c*nt if they say one bad word about Liverpool ::)

I dislike pundits if they are shockingly biased, or unprofessional, if they have a fair and honest point about our performance during a match I can take it on the chin

Whilst I dislike Gray for often being a biased Fergie loving Bluenoses, he does tend to actually know his stuff and seems to do a fair bit of research and very occasionally gives us credit for playing good game or being unlucky.

Most of the other pundits just spout shite the saw that morning on Sly Sports News or read in the paper, most of the soccer saturday shower of shite fall into this category, stand up Merson, Nicholas and Le Tissier
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 04:33:34 pm by Camina Camina »
Borussia Park, Sud Tribune, Block 4 Rechts, Reihe 24, Platz 9

Tor in Gladbach!

Offline The Hindsight King

• Boys Pen
« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2008, 05:11:04 pm »
Andy Gray was spot on.

100% Agree with you. You're so spot on.

Offline Dish shhh

• Kopite
  • It's always darkest before the dawn
« Reply #356 on: March 28, 2008, 05:19:33 pm »

It was the sly, sneaky way he delivered his assessment. It was as if we were like shit on his shoe. Dsigraceful performance by an ex-red
Brian Reade - "Rafa Benitez was many things at Liverpool but unlike every manager since Kenny Dalglish, he was not a failure. Indeed a majority of Liverpudlians will remember him as a legend. Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy".

Offline Listen Up

• Main Stander
« Reply #357 on: March 28, 2008, 05:22:46 pm »
Andy Gray was spot on.

Eh? If Javier had been there he'd have probably nutted young Jamie
"As always, I am concentrating on coaching and training my players" x 20 - the most illuminating and important interview Rafa has ever given

Offline Listen Up

• Main Stander
« Reply #358 on: March 28, 2008, 05:25:40 pm »

Completely agree. Sometimes it can be frustrating though, because the views of the general public are media-driven to a large extent - and you then have to put up with a bunch of people saying "well Jamie Redknapp said... and therefore  Masch is a nutcase".

We should ignore them. Our opinions shouldn't be influenced by someone else's.
"As always, I am concentrating on coaching and training my players" x 20 - the most illuminating and important interview Rafa has ever given

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: March 28, 2008, 05:57:23 pm »

Although I was pleased with Gray on Sunday, you are correct, he is a "fair weather punter". Particularly during in game commentry. If the team on top scores he'll praise them, if the team getting a hammering scores he sing their praises and criticises the other team for not scoring when they had the chance.