Author Topic: The Bob Paisley Memorial Appeal  (Read 14021 times)

Offline barnieslad

• Anny Roader
The Bob Paisley Memorial Appeal
« on: February 29, 2008, 07:07:41 pm »
       The Bob Paisley Memorial Appeal

By Ian Graves

Last summer, myself and a few like-minded Reds who use the supporters website www.onthekop.com went to Glenbuck to see the memorial to Bill Shankly. It was more of a pilgrimage really and it struck us that only Liverpool supporters could do something like that to pay homage to one of our greats. Last Christmas thoughts turned to where to visit next and the obvious choice was Hetton-le-Hole, the birth place of Bob Paisley. I looked into it and found that the only memorial to the great man in his hometown was a small plaque high on the wall of one of Bobs former schools.

Our immediate thought was that the supporters of Liverpool Football Club may be able to improve on that.

We think that if a memorial exists for Bill Shankly at the town of his birth then Bob Paisley should be honoured in the same way.

Bob Paisley is our most successful manager with a total of 3 European Cups, 6 League Titles, 3 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 European Super Cup and 5 Charity Shields. Bob was named Manager Of The Year 6 times.

All this during a managerial career spanning just 8 seasons.

In 52 years of loyal service to Liverpool Football club, Bob was a player, physiotherapist, coach, manager and director. His achievements will surely be unsurpassed in the game.

In short, Bob Paisley is a World Football Great.

We approached the Paisley family in Liverpool with our idea to construct a memorial to Bob in Hetton-le-Hole. The Paisley family are delighted with the idea and would love to see this become a reality.

We then approached Hetton Town Council. They were really impressed with the idea and in early January invited us to Hetton to meet some of the local councillors and to show us around a few potential sites for the proposed memorial. We have since met with stone masons and construction firms in the Hetton-le-Hole area.

The local people of Hetton-le-Hole are very keen on this idea and fully support it.

Since then things have moved on to the point that we’re ready to commission the project, which will be similar to the Glenbuck memorial.

So now its up to us, the supporters of Liverpool F.C, to make this a reality.

We have decided to open this appeal fund so that supporters from home and abroad can make this happen. What we’re looking for is for supporters either through personal donations or as supporters clubs/organisations to donate whatever they can so that we can get this done as soon as possible, hopefully this summer.

We have already contacted as many supporters clubs as we can in case they need time to organise any fund raising events, should they wish.

A fund raising night is planned by us at The Sandon on March 29th. Details will be available soon, and tickets will be an affordable £10.

Myself and my 12 year old son Jack Graves will be doing a sponsored walk up Englands highest peak Scafell Pike towards the end of April, more details of this will be released soon.

Some websites and supporters clubs have already expressed an interest in holding events so that they can raise funds while celebrating the achievements of Bob Paisley.

If anyone would like further information please contact us at paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk

FUND RAISING ACTIVITIES ARE NOW CLOSED - THANK YOU TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED.

Thank you.

Ian Graves
For and on behalf of The Bob Paisley Memorial Committee.

paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 01:06:27 pm by barnieslad »

Offline Philo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Bob Paisley Memorial Appeal
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »
Boss idea mate

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:46:15 pm »
What a man.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline S24 LFC

• For Sale!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Part of the establishment
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 07:53:36 pm »
Fantastic
Our round the world trip.

www.getjealous.com/sas091011

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 08:21:58 pm »
had the pleasure twice, true Gentleman, adopted scouser,  great idea   :thumbup

lets make this one a goer  :wellin

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 08:27:51 pm »

I'll be sending a donation next week straight into your account. God bless you for doing this  :wave

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline barnieslad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:34:27 pm »
Thanks very much for the positive comments and thanks to everyone who is thinking of donating.

If we can get enough money in quickly we can get this done and dusted for THIS SUMMER.

Should be a HECK of a bevvy that!

Offline GerrardKopLegend

• Kopite
  • Ste Gerrard Gerrard
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:38:27 pm »
Sir Bob was a true gentleman and one of the greatest managers we've ever had. I will be more than happy to make a donation to this wonderful cause as well.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." --  Sir Bob Paisley

Offline Peter_Evo

• King of the Vegetables (though not salads).
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the Sun. Sullies the memories of the 96
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 08:41:13 pm »
As the co-owner of www.onthekop.com I'm very proud of the hard work put in by an awful lot of people from the site to get this up and running. To see this fantastic response across all the LFC boards is, I'm not ashamed to say, bringing tears to my eyes.
96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline Peter_Evo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:51:56 pm »
96 Liverpool fans lost their lives at Hillsborough. Thousands more were deeply affected. The Sun said Liverpool fans robbed their own dead and urinated on policemen and other fans doing their best to save them. The Sun said Liverpool fans were to blame for causing the crush by turning up ticketless and drunk. The Sun told lies. DON'T BUY THE SUN!

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:05:02 pm »
Brilliant idea.See ya in The Sandon ;)
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline RuairiK

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25:46 pm »
great idea. the man is a legend.

All rise for Sir Bob!!!
I'd played at Anfield and I knew the crowd were fantastic. I knew there was a public just waiting. So I fought the battles inside and outside. I was interested in only one thing, success for the club. And that meant success for the people. I wanted results for the club, for the love of the game, to make the people happy

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 09:32:47 pm »
As the co-owner of www.onthekop.com I'm very proud of the hard work put in by an awful lot of people from the site to get this up and running. To see this fantastic response across all the LFC boards is, I'm not ashamed to say, bringing tears to my eyes.
Are you the Gillett or the Hicks of the operation Peter? ;)

Lets get this done folks.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 09:41:19 pm »

A great effort from all concerned.

Count me in.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 09:54:45 pm »

Even if you only give a fiver, everyone give something so you can contribute to a permanent tribute to the man who gave us so much, and what he gave us is beyond all the riches in the world!
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 10:51:11 pm »
I can vouch for this appeal as I know one of the people involved. Any donation, no matter how small will be appreciated.

As a young(ish) Kopite, I fully appreciate Bob's rise through the ranks and great service that he gave to the club. He gave us more than enough in return.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline Peter_Evo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 11:07:43 pm »
Boss fundraiser night in the Sandon 29th March. Further details in the next few days but will be along similar lines to Ray Of Hope night. Tenner a ticket and well worth it. Limited to 240 tickets so get yours quick cos they won't half sell dead fast.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 11:11:44 pm »
Boss fundraiser night in the Sandon 29th March. Further details in the next few days but will be along similar lines to Ray Of Hope night. Tenner a ticket and well worth it. Limited to 240 tickets so get yours quick cos they won't half sell dead fast.

Can you put me down for two tickets Pete.

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline ADAM L4 LFC

• Kemlynite
« Reply #18 on: March 1, 2008, 12:31:31 am »
seen the TV news article on sir bob  very good stuff , they talked about bill's memorial in glenbuck some of it was paid for by the Scottish coal board  good gesture that , the other week when the reserves played sunderland they said there is a plaque for sir bob there its all good stuff .
« Last Edit: March 1, 2008, 02:12:51 am by ADAM L4 LFC »

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 1, 2008, 02:00:23 pm »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 1, 2008, 02:50:09 pm »
My favourite Liverpool manager and a true great. It's a travesty that he wasn't knighted. All the best to you guys for doing this.
Yep.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #21 on: March 1, 2008, 02:57:26 pm »
Well in, should of been done years ago anyway, so well in none the less.

A few quid coming from my way.

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 1, 2008, 03:23:45 pm »
We might not be able to give you a knighthood Bob but we sure as hell are going to give you a memorial that you well deserved.

Lads this is your club and Paisley along with Shanks are the two greatest managers we ever had lets put Bob up their in his rightful place as a true legend of Liverpool FC. Any help at all will go a long way to achieving our goal check out the websites above as Ian said in the video its a fan initiative and its only us as fans that can make it work.

Thanks

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #23 on: March 1, 2008, 04:30:24 pm »
This is a wonderful idea.

Along with the Ray Kennedy appeal these two very worthy causes should both be well supported hopefully.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 2, 2008, 02:55:09 pm »
We might not be able to give you a knighthood Bob but we sure as hell are going to give you a memorial that you well deserved.

Lads this is your club and Paisley along with Shanks are the two greatest managers we ever had lets put Bob up their in his rightful place as a true legend of Liverpool FC. Any help at all will go a long way to achieving our goal check out the websites above as Ian said in the video its a fan initiative and its only us as fans that can make it work.

Thanks
Is right, the only man to win 3 European cups, whilst 1 win gets managers of a certain club a knighthood. Lets get this built for the greatest manager this country has ever seen.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #25 on: March 2, 2008, 08:49:14 pm »
Fucking great idea.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Philo

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: March 3, 2008, 05:38:24 pm »
Come everyone get behind this great idea.
Get your T Shirts ordered some available at saturdays Newcastle match.

www.bobpaisleymemorial.homestead.com

Offline Bouncer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "It's not my ego, it's my responsibility" Benitez
« Reply #27 on: March 3, 2008, 05:53:21 pm »
Love when people just get up and do stuff like this. Bob Paisely is a giant and should be suitably recognised. Id love a print of that photo of him with old big ears and the 'arl' fellahs. Would that be available ... its mint.\Very best wishes on this initiative lads.
Gatusso says that Liverpool play too many long balls?

I don’t think he watches many Liverpool games, the same way I don’t watch many Milan games. (Rafa)

Offline Philo

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: March 3, 2008, 06:25:53 pm »
Love when people just get up and do stuff like this. Bob Paisely is a giant and should be suitably recognised. Id love a print of that photo of him with old big ears and the 'arl' fellahs. Would that be available ... its mint.\Very best wishes on this initiative lads.

They could well be for the right size donation ;)

Offline duggs74

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • greatness is a journey not a destination! YNWA
« Reply #29 on: March 3, 2008, 07:58:02 pm »
cracking idea mate and not a moment to soon. i will visit the site after this. and at the end of this road there should come a posthumous knighthood for the great one!!  :)
thats what we call history!!

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 3, 2008, 08:06:17 pm »
cracking idea mate and not a moment to soon. i will visit the site after this. and at the end of this road there should come a posthumous knighthood for the great one!!  :)
Not a chance mate, you only get Knighted if you come from United. :'(

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline sunnysquad

• Boys Pen
« Reply #32 on: March 4, 2008, 03:20:49 pm »
Thats an excellent idea; well done for that!a donation is on its way.

Offline Mackinaw Peach

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Wigan address
« Reply #33 on: March 4, 2008, 10:33:14 pm »
Like the look of the T Shirts  (Bob with his mates), birthday coming up too, so I'll treat myself to one of them to go with my Shanks one.

Great initiative to honour one of ours, and his truly phenomenal achievements - still the most successful manager ever in Europe.

Offline Philo

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: March 5, 2008, 09:35:25 am »
Like the look of the T Shirts  (Bob with his mates), birthday coming up too, so I'll treat myself to one of them to go with my Shanks one.

Great initiative to honour one of ours, and his truly phenomenal achievements - still the most successful manager ever in Europe.

get it ordered quick mate they are going fast

Offline Mottman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 6, 2008, 11:02:54 pm »
Tickets are £10.00 and are available from the HJC shop opposite the Albert, The shop is open Monday to Friday 10.00 till 14.00, best ring 0151 260 5262 before you set off just to make sure it's open.

Or contact paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk

Please feel free to post these details on any other Liverpool site that you may visit.

Thank you.

http://onthekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,7515.0.html

Offline barnieslad

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: March 7, 2008, 10:59:16 am »
Hello everyone and thank you for all the kind words, donations and messages of support. The RAWK community have really taken this campaign to heart and I personally really appreciate that.

Here’s an update on the campaign.

A second youtube clip has been released showing the closing stages of our spot on LFC.TV recently. Here’s the links to both halves of the interview....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=trn8SfnXLf8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5zplqkAEEiM

In the second clip, not only do you get to hear my closing comments but you get to hear Supersub telling us a little about Hetton-le-Hole. As Dave says there is a small plaque high on a wall of Bobs former school, but you'd be lucky to see it. It must be 8 feet up the wall and its around 10 inches across.

The reserves game that Dave mentions was the recent fixture against Sunderland. They play all their home games on the Eppleton Colliery Pitch and three of our committee went up for that game and to meet the council again.

I have to say, at the end of the recording, Rik from Milton Keynes - Don't give up that day job kidder  ;D

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far by either buying on one of our T shirts, donating directly or by buying a ticket for our fund raiser. Details for the T shirts can be found on this link....

http://bobpaisleymemorial.homestead.com/index.html

And here's the link for the selling arrangements for the fund raiser but if you fancy coming along, be QUICK...

http://onthekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,7515.0.html

Please leave any requests in that thread as Peter Evo is dealing with the Fund Raiser, which should be a BOSS night.

The tickets are going really well. Gerry in the HJC shop said he'd had seven requests over the counter before the West Ham game and he hadn't even put the poster up yet!

If you're thinking of donating, buying a shirt or any other way of getting involved in this memorial for Bob then please do.

Our intention from the very beginning was to allow as many people as possible to be a part of it, and your contribution, however small or substantial, will help to build this memorial.

Thank you,

Ian.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #37 on: March 7, 2008, 02:07:41 pm »
I've got ours booked for the Sandon - its going to be a massive night.

I'd seen Sir Bob several times at the AGMs but never spoken to him, so I decided that at the next one I definately would.  So I went over and over in my head to get what I wanted to say until I had it just right.

Come the time, I shook his hand but couldn't let it go.....and stood there mauling away at it and babbling rubbish.  He was lovely.  He just stood there, quietly and patiently, nodding now and then until I'd flubberlubbed myself to a standstill and gently thanked me and wished me well.  And I went off to the ladies and bawled my eyes out.   A true gentleman. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
« Reply #38 on: March 7, 2008, 02:40:32 pm »

I'd seen Sir Bob several times at the AGMs but never spoken to him, so I decided that at the next one I definately would.  So I went over and over in my head to get what I wanted to say until I had it just right.

Come the time, I shook his hand but couldn't let it go.....and stood there mauling away at it and babbling rubbish.  He was lovely.  He just stood there, quietly and patiently, nodding now and then until I'd flubberlubbed myself to a standstill and gently thanked me and wished me well.  And I went off to the ladies and bawled my eyes out.   A true gentleman. 

Maggie yer big softie.  ;)

Lovely story that.
no coward soul is mine

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #39 on: March 7, 2008, 02:53:35 pm »
Maggie yer big softie.  ;)

Lovely story that.

Aye - on both counts.  Imagine doing that with some managers of today  ::)  It'd be "Call security" before I got beyond the first babble.   ;D
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.