Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12298480 times)

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #37120 on: February 7, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »
Description of Shelvey's:

LFC Liverpool FC
Jonjo Shelvey makes it 4-0 with a close-range finish from Sterling's cross.
5 minutes ag
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #37121 on: February 7, 2012, 03:55:10 pm »
shame this isn't on anywhere.  if shelvey playing for the reserves maybe he will give next next-gen a spin?

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37122 on: February 7, 2012, 04:14:48 pm »
*prays hard for highlights*
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #37123 on: February 7, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »
Good to see Aurelio get 90 mins. Nice win for the lads.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37124 on: February 7, 2012, 05:04:20 pm »
Liverpool team: Brad Jones, Jon Flanagan, Jack Robinson, Sebastian Coates, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Raheem Sterling, Jonjo Shelvey, Nathan Eccleston, Krisztian Adorjan, Fabio Aurelio.

The reserves team. Very strong
YNWA

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #37125 on: February 7, 2012, 05:10:52 pm »
Liverpool team: Brad Jones, Jon Flanagan, Jack Robinson, Sebastian Coates, Andre Wisdom, Conor Coady, Raheem Sterling, Jonjo Shelvey, Nathan Eccleston, Krisztian Adorjan, Fabio Aurelio.

You know the games over and they won right?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Cragsi

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37126 on: February 7, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »
Highlights are on LFCTV after this set of ads.
Riding through dust clouds and barren wastes
Galloping hard on the plains
Chasing the redskins back to their holes
Fighting them at their own game
Murder for freedom a stab in the back
Women and children and cowards attaaaaaack...

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #37127 on: February 7, 2012, 05:14:02 pm »
LiverpoolYouths Donal McCann
Highlights of today's reserve game are coming up after the break on LFCTV.
1 minute ago

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37128 on: February 7, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »
Yeah! Robbo's back. Love watching him play.

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37129 on: February 7, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »

Jeez, no wonder we won 4-0.  Aurelio, Flanagan, Robinson, Coates, Shelvey, and all the regulars.  Not bad.

Just saw the highlights.  What a goal by Sterling!  Wow.

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
« Reply #37130 on: February 7, 2012, 05:22:01 pm »

Couldn't agree more!

Wouldn't surprise me if at least 7 of them ended up playing for the first team at some stage!!

Offline iamrobk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37131 on: February 7, 2012, 05:22:59 pm »
Couldn't agree more!

Wouldn't surprise me if at least 7 of them ended up playing for the first team at some stage!!
Well, Jones, Flanagan, Robinson, Coates, Shelvey, Eccleston, and Aurelio already have, leaving just Wisdom, Coady, Sterling, and Adorjan as the ones who haven't yet.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37132 on: February 7, 2012, 05:24:03 pm »
If anybody would be so kind to get the highlights uploaded...

Offline carl2782

• Main Stander
« Reply #37133 on: February 7, 2012, 05:26:18 pm »
Well, Jones, Flanagan, Robinson, Coates, Shelvey, Eccleston, and Aurelio already have, leaving just Wisdom, Coady, Sterling, and Adorjan as the ones who haven't yet.

Uhh.. Whooshed?

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37134 on: February 7, 2012, 05:38:10 pm »
You know the games over and they won right?

Yeah, I know, thought I'd past the team as I didn't see it in the thread.
YNWA

Offline Chirpy Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Anfield might be million miles away but it's home
« Reply #37135 on: February 7, 2012, 05:45:28 pm »
So when will Teixeira play for the reserves? Also what's happening with Nacho in under 18's?

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37136 on: February 7, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »
Wow that's a ridiculous team. That back four could probably start for a lower-level PL team. Where did Aurelio play, LM?

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37137 on: February 7, 2012, 06:41:44 pm »
If that camera angle was any lower it would be under ground
So when will Teixeira play for the reserves? Also what's happening with Nacho in under 18's?
Teixeira didn't play because of a knock not sure about Nacho.

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #37138 on: February 7, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »
Nacho is just back from a shoulder injury so hopefully will be involved with the u18s soon.

Am glad the reserve team was strong and it looks like the kids fitted in well.

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #37139 on: February 7, 2012, 08:14:41 pm »

Offline babraham

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37140 on: February 7, 2012, 09:07:22 pm »
Wow! Super strong team!

So...uh...anybody with the highlights?  :wave

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #37141 on: February 7, 2012, 09:09:02 pm »
That is a ridiculously strong reserves side, so not a very surprising result. Good to see Raheem hit the back of the net. Hopefully that will give him a bit of confidence in front of goal and his finishing will take an upturn.
Justice For The 96

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37142 on: February 7, 2012, 09:13:49 pm »
That is a ridiculously strong reserves side, so not a very surprising result. Good to see Raheem hit the back of the net. Hopefully that will give him a bit of confidence in front of goal and his finishing will take an upturn.

Was a good goal too. And on his weaker foot.

Did well in the build up to the first to set Flanagan away and again to release Eccleston who got the assist for Shelvey's goal, another excellent finish.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37143 on: February 7, 2012, 09:20:48 pm »
Wow, poor Norwich Reserves... sounds like half of what could be the Liverpool first team of the not too distant future.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #37144 on: February 7, 2012, 09:44:50 pm »
Hopefully this and the Wigan performance will put to bed the myth about Shelvey not trying when he drops a level.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37145 on: February 7, 2012, 10:41:23 pm »
Hopefully this and the Wigan performance will put to bed the myth about Shelvey not trying when he drops a level.

He is clearly above the reserve level in his development though. I'd like to see him feature more in the first team. He looked good against Villa when he got his chance. Do you think we should use him in the remaining next gen games? He should feature in our best U19 squad but that would mean replacing one of the lads who have played more regularly in the tournament.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2012, 10:42:54 pm by Midget »

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37146 on: February 7, 2012, 10:49:02 pm »
He is clearly above the reserve level in his development though. I'd like to see him feature more in the first team. He looked good against Villa when he got his chance. Do you think we should use him in the remaining next gen games? He should feature in our best U19 squad but that would mean replacing one of the lads who have played more regularly in the tournament.

I think it depends on your mentality. For me the Next Gen is about developing youngsters not winning the tournament or seeing how far you can go in it. It is a development tool not a willy waving contest. I think Shelvey is above youth football now and in truth our first team midfield is not as strong as it has been in years past so i think he will get his chances there. Someone else will think different.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37147 on: February 7, 2012, 11:06:03 pm »
I think it depends on your mentality. For me the Next Gen is about developing youngsters not winning the tournament or seeing how far you can go in it. It is a development tool not a willy waving contest. I think Shelvey is above youth football now and in truth our first team midfield is not as strong as it has been in years past so i think he will get his chances there. Someone else will think different.

I agree that it's all about player development. People often forget that Shelvey is only 19 though. He has featured in the first team a lot but he isn't much older than some of the lads who have played in next gen for us. While I'm not sure if I'd play Shelvey in the remaining games I think playing against a side like Ajax/Barca would be a valuable experience for him as well.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37148 on: February 7, 2012, 11:09:44 pm »
I think it depends on your mentality. For me the Next Gen is about developing youngsters not winning the tournament or seeing how far you can go in it. It is a development tool not a willy waving contest.

Trouble is it is very difficult to develop players without giving them lots of minutes at a good standard of football. Nextgen provides just that but to get more than 6 games out of it it is essential to progress in the tournament. Had Spurs not pulled out our remaining games would have been the footballing equivalent of a dead rubber, ie not much better than reserve games now in terms of meaning and intensity. Instead these kids will now be playing in what i expect most will regard as the biggest games of their short careers against Barca or Ajax. Which outcome is better for development?

Until the FA pull their fingers out and sort out a proper reseve league progress in the nextgen is going to be pretty vital in the development of our big hopes. Got nought to do with 'willy waving', its about giving the likes of Sterling an extended platform on which to perform that matters to him, his team mates and the opposition.

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #37149 on: February 8, 2012, 12:22:47 am »
Just seen that Redmond scored again for Birmingham. Really good goal too. Let the ball come over his shoulder just right of the penalty spot and fired in a first time volley into the keepers right hand side.

I'll be really surprised if we don't go for either Redmond or Zaha. Maybe both?
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37150 on: February 8, 2012, 01:00:58 am »
haven't seen the match or highlights. Who were our best. I think it bodes well for Sterling if he still manages to stand out as a player with so many first team squad players on the pitch.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37151 on: February 8, 2012, 09:23:09 am »
I for one forgot how young shelvey is, like to see him get more game time as I feel he has a lot to offer.
YNWA

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37152 on: February 8, 2012, 12:23:40 pm »
I for one forgot how young shelvey is, like to see him get more game time as I feel he has a lot to offer.

Think a lot of people forget how young he is. Sometimes leads him to fly under the radar a little I think.

Going straight to Melwood probably played its part in that. But there was a reason he went there right from the off. He's probably, along with Sterling, the most naturally gifted youngster we have.

Even looking back at those vids of him at Charlton as a 16/17 year old he just looks so at home on the pitch. His attitude and mentality are often talked about, how he's got that arrogance that will stand him in good stead but he's an incredibly well rounded player really. Excellent touch, calmness, can play and see a pass and provides a real goal threat. The one thing he doesnt really have is physique, he's not got that burst of pace. But he seems smart enough to work around it. Lord knows there are plenty of quality midfielders out there who are a bit one paced.

People should be very excited about Shelvey. At £1.7m we absolutely robbed Charlton.

But like you say he needs games. Hopefully he'll start against Brighton in the cup.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #37153 on: February 8, 2012, 12:36:44 pm »
Agree with Cpt. that a lot of people forget just how young Shelvey is.  He is a very good player for his age.  Just to add on the physique thing, he will hopefully develop that over the next 2-3 years.  It's partly up to him to put in the work.  Lucas was a skinny 19 year old as well but he has bulked up some since then.  There are other examples too.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37154 on: February 8, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »
Agree with Cpt. that a lot of people forget just how young Shelvey is.  He is a very good player for his age.  Just to add on the physique thing, he will hopefully develop that over the next 2-3 years.  It's partly up to him to put in the work.  Lucas was a skinny 19 year old as well but he has bulked up some since then.  There are other examples too.

I think he's pretty well set already to be honest. He's tall enough and seems to be able to mix it with the big boys no trouble.

Its more his pace, or lack thereof, and ability to get up and down the pitch that I was referring to. But like I said, that needn't be a problem. Not every midfielder in the world needs to be Yaya Toure or Steven Gerrard in that respect.

Offline Midget

• R Kelly's love rival
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #37155 on: February 8, 2012, 12:55:08 pm »
I think he's pretty well set already to be honest. He's tall enough and seems to be able to mix it with the big boys no trouble.

Its more his pace, or lack thereof, and ability to get up and down the pitch that I was referring to. But like I said, that needn't be a problem. Not every midfielder in the world needs to be Yaya Toure or Steven Gerrard in that respect.

I think his ability to get up and down the pitch is fine. He lacks pace more than mobility. In the games he has played this season (mainly vs Villa and Oldham) he has showed great willingness to break into the box and has a good timing in doing that. He even got to the ball before Gerrard to score his first goal in that Oldham game. Compared to someone like Adam he doesn't seem to be lacking much in mobility. I think Shelvey is one of the best midfielders we have in terms of breaking in to the opposition box at the right time.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37156 on: February 8, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »

I second this request, would be nice to see the guys get a good win and Sterling score again.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #37157 on: February 8, 2012, 12:59:11 pm »
I like Shelvey a lot, i think he should be pushing Adam for a starting spot. Only thing I think he needs to stop doing is flashing that 3rd leg of his on twitter haha
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37158 on: February 8, 2012, 01:01:34 pm »
I think his ability to get up and down the pitch is fine. He lacks pace more than mobility. In the games he has played this season (mainly vs Villa and Oldham) he has showed great willingness to break into the box and has a good timing in doing that. He even got to the ball before Gerrard to score his first goal in that Oldham game. Compared to someone like Adam he doesn't seem to be lacking much in mobility. I think Shelvey is one of the best midfielders we have in terms of breaking in to the opposition box at the right time.

He gets forward alright, but getting back? Not so much.

Whether its just his willingness (we know he doesnt like defending) or that he lacks the engine to do both at this stage is up for debate. Personally I think its a mixture of both. I just dont think he's that naturally athletic. Im nitpicking though. It's not a problem for him really.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37159 on: February 8, 2012, 02:13:02 pm »

@AMorgan94
adam morgan
Hahahaha just a abit of banter...

@Robbie9Fowler
robbie fowler
@AMorgan94 no plaster on the nose though