Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12299076 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #33240 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:34 am »
Yep, I actually know him so it's been good for him to finally play for England.

ITK ?
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33241 on: November 18, 2011, 01:02:37 am »
I for one love our new youth recruitment policy.  Pretty much what I do in Football Manager too ;D

ha ha same here

Offline Arden

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33242 on: November 18, 2011, 01:18:35 am »
He sounds special.

Long way to go of course, but can't help be excited with some of the quotes there.

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33243 on: November 18, 2011, 01:56:43 am »
Doesn't seem immature to me, seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Yeah, but every 18 year old is immature in a way. I'm not so sure I'd be willing to throw him in a situation where failure would probably do a number on his confidence. Its a big reward if he does well, but there's a big risk of failure. Lower leagues are very hard to play in, especially for someone so young.

Yeah, he succeeded against Theo Walcott, a very pacey and dangerous (at times) winger. But how would he do against an experienced League Two hard man, whose livelihood depends on staying in the Football League to make enough money to provide for his family? Do you think he'd really care about giving an 18 year old kid (who will probably make triple what he makes one day) a hard time? Absolutely not. If anything he'd try to get under his skin and rattle him, which would be a big blow to his confidence and his psyche.

I know you can't baby players in this business (because sadly, thats what it is), but throwing them into that kind of situation is just not a good idea. I'd rather keep him in this kind of environment at the club and wait until he is a bit older and has some more experience.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #33244 on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:27 am »
jay had a spell at leicester and played some regular first team football there - robinson has not had that yet - if the club felt he would have benefited going on loan for  a few months and playing tough competitive games then I'd be more prone to trust them than the opinion of a spotty teenager -

Spearing turned down two loan offers before going to Leicester. Sometimes it is about the right loan deal rather than a loan deal.

In any case, I remain far from convinced that the club recommended a loan deal to Robbo, he has become part & parcel of the first team squad at a young age, and is very much seen as a star of the future. Even at 14 he was head & shoulders above his age group at the academy, generally playing in central defence, he looked a professional amongst kids.

The club have and have had a long term plan for him, and that is going according to plan, hence the new extended contract. Some shite spouted on an internet forum is really irrelevant in contrast.   
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #33245 on: November 18, 2011, 02:47:44 am »
Some of the overreaction on here to the Sporting defeat has been mental, albeit not unexpected.

Ok we were given a bit of a lesson, but it's all a learning curve for them, and however much of a cliche that may be, it's true. Everyone can see for themselves how accomplished Sporting are. They are a more cohesive unit than us and they look like they know exactly what kind of game they want to play, whereas we are a definite work in progress. The one problem that comes with having Borrell and Segura at the club is the fact people just look and see they were previously at Barcelona and immediately expect us to play that kind of game.

The other thing, and i may be wrong here but i'd be willing to bet that they had a higher average age than we did. Morgan is 17 and was playing as a lone striker up against Portuguese youth Internationals, Sterling likewise. We also played our best player out of position which made little to no sense.

Sporting are the standard we have to match, and we've seen that standard up close and personal now which makes it a little easier. This is an Academy that has churned out two Ballon D'Or winners over the last twenty years. Plus other fantastic players like Nani and Quaresma. They probably have coaches who have been there for years, whereas we have just overturned the whole Academy in the last 2 years or so. It will take time, naturally.

People must just take a step back and put on the breaks though. We have a very good group of players though, i thought that before the Sporting game, and i stick by that now.

Brilliant news that we have signed that lad from under the noses of Chelsea. We're doing something right eh?
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline d.king037

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #33246 on: November 18, 2011, 08:53:51 am »
Does anyone know the name of their defensive midfielder? He really impressed me with his composure and kept the ball really well.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33247 on: November 18, 2011, 09:20:16 am »
So whom are we facing in the next round? We will end up playing three teams - hopefully Spurs will be one of them. Would like to see how our youth setup stacks up against another PL side.

About the Sporying mauling, did they play 18-19 yr olds too this time? They had a older team than us at Anfield.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33248 on: November 18, 2011, 09:39:48 am »
At the very highest level, tactics make every difference.  They are the difference between United grinding out a win against Barcelona (2007/2008) and them being played off the park (08/09). They are the diffference between Spain going out early at the world cup and winning it, between England getting to the final of Euro 2004 and losing out on penalties to Portugal (in that case, cause Scolari threw the kitchen sink at England)

Of course they at that level, when all the other things I mentioned (committment, endeavour, technique, fitness, bottle, game intelligence) are a given. Liverpool's U-19s/Reserve team is not that level.

I never said they weren't important, what I said was misuse of tactics was by no means (e.g. whether or not the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 press all the time or stand off all the time) is NOT the worst thing in football, as was suggested.

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33249 on: November 18, 2011, 11:02:40 am »
We've been drawn in the NextGen QF's against the winner of group 4, which will probably be Tottenham.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #33250 on: November 18, 2011, 12:03:35 pm »
jay had a spell at leicester and played some regular first team football there - robinson has not had that yet - if the club felt he would have benefited going on loan for  a few months and playing tough competitive games then I'd be more prone to trust them than the opinion of a spotty teenager -

fair comment big man - was actually thinking that as i went to bed last night which surely can't be healthy?

i suppose if he was going to go on loan it would need to be to a side where he would start and they would play decent football.

where was he rumoured to be going?

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #33251 on: November 18, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »
He's a quick skillful winger, similar to sterling but left footed left midfielder, he should link up with ohanlon well for the u16,s. Great job by camolli and good news for the academy.

he's been much touted 14 just seems so very young to be investing in talent but clearly its the future and we need to be part of it.

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33252 on: November 18, 2011, 12:10:29 pm »
Spearing turned down two loan offers before going to Leicester. Sometimes it is about the right loan deal rather than a loan deal.

In any case, I remain far from convinced that the club recommended a loan deal to Robbo, he has become part & parcel of the first team squad at a young age, and is very much seen as a star of the future. Even at 14 he was head & shoulders above his age group at the academy, generally playing in central defence, he looked a professional amongst kids.

The club have and have had a long term plan for him, and that is going according to plan, hence the new extended contract. Some shite spouted on an internet forum is really irrelevant in contrast.   

dont know when he turned them down - but I do think he wasted an entire season in the stiffs learning nothing when he should have been playing - if he turned them down beofre that he's only got himself to blame.

and I think thats the issue especially 18-21 - the system is busted - how do you go from reserve football to premiership quality - its easier at smaller clubs - less budget. lower quality, less expectation but the big clubs are cream crackered

Think its ok for those making the step from U18 to reserves for a year (or U19/Next gen this year) with the best getting bench appearances and training with the squad, the following year t year though whats the plan - more bench appearances more training - is that how to develop them to best effect ? thats were flanno and robinson are now I guess too good for the stiffs not good enough to oust the first team players

fair comment big man - was actually thinking that as i went to bed last night which surely can't be healthy?

i suppose if he was going to go on loan it would need to be to a side where he would start and they would play decent football.

where was he rumoured to be going?

dont dispute that and the higher up the league structure the better

but as has been said its all speculation - just saying if he had the opportunity then he's a mug not to have taken it -

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:13:59 pm by Vulmea »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #33253 on: November 18, 2011, 12:21:18 pm »
i'm not a fan of the spuds or indeed flash arry but they do seem good at loaning out their best reserves to gain experience rather than suffer that gap between 18-21.  do they actually have a reserve side now or did they disband it for good?

Offline El jefe

• Kopite
« Reply #33254 on: November 18, 2011, 12:59:13 pm »
I just don't think that's true. He is our back up left back and would have played at Stoke if he was fit.

I have heard nothing about him going out on loan yet. If anything Flanno would go out first because we have 2 players in front of him at right back. Plus if there was any question mark about his attitude he would not have just signed a new contract would he ?

We didn't offer him out though, a club came in for him. Kenny said he should take the opportunity and it would be good for him as did his family, but he didn't want to. Pretty stupid really

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33255 on: November 18, 2011, 01:00:06 pm »
i'm not a fan of the spuds or indeed flash arry but they do seem good at loaning out their best reserves to gain experience rather than suffer that gap between 18-21.  do they actually have a reserve side now or did they disband it for good?

yeah I think last sesaon they looked at the reserve structure and said - nah not going to bother with that its  a waste of time we'll send them al out on loan - this season I'm not sure because they re in the next gen series and doing very well - think they top their group - I dont know if they did similarly to us and just kept their U18's on to create an U19 team for that competition.

City have scraped their stiffs so I'm told - they did have two reserve teams at one stage and I think entered one into one of the local leagues - might be mistaken there though - theye are also in the next gen and haven't won a point - dont know if that reflects they may have just entered a very young side i.e. U18 team

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline David H

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33256 on: November 18, 2011, 01:12:36 pm »
Can't even find one youtube video of him playing, must be shit.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33257 on: November 18, 2011, 01:20:40 pm »
Saw Ojo play play a game and a half in the victory shield and was very impressed. He played on the left but as far as I know he can play all across midfield. From the games I saw he is an all round Athlete (amazing that he won't turn 15 till next summer) with very good technical ability. Wonder if he'll go into the u16's or u18's? Probably a bit of both like Sterling did when he arrived?

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #33258 on: November 18, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »
Looks like we'll be playing winners of group 4 in nextgen series which is most likely to be Spurs.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #33259 on: November 18, 2011, 01:43:44 pm »
Looks like we'll be playing winners of group 4 in nextgen series which is most likely to be Spurs.

is it a two leg affair?

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #33260 on: November 18, 2011, 02:02:15 pm »
is it a two leg affair?

NextGenSeries NextGeneration
The Quarter Finals will be played over one leg at the Home stadium of the Group Winner. #NextGen

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #33261 on: November 18, 2011, 02:33:25 pm »
well if we get the spuds away that's striking distance for me ;D

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #33262 on: November 18, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »

The Quarter Finals will be played over one leg at the Home stadium of the Group Winner. #NextGen

sorry more questions: do you know when the tie is going to be?  i'm finding their site slow to navigate.

Offline JN Jonsson

• Considerably richer than yow... richer even than Southern Pansy
  • Kopite
  • Hub of the Internet-Terrorists.
« Reply #33263 on: November 18, 2011, 03:11:54 pm »
Anyone that can tell me anything about Engvall or Peterson?

Also, a third swede just joined the academy - Sheriff.
Gimme gimme jon, Gimme jonjoooohhh
Gimme gimme jon, Gimme jonjoooohhh
(Britney Speares - Give me moore)

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33264 on: November 18, 2011, 04:39:47 pm »
Nathan Quirk trained with the first team today. A bit surprising as he isn't really one of the standouts for the u18s, he seems to be more of a utility man.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #33265 on: November 18, 2011, 05:28:38 pm »

Well that seems incredibly fucking stupid.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33266 on: November 18, 2011, 06:28:52 pm »
Nathan Quirk trained with the first team today. A bit surprising as he isn't really one of the standouts for the u18s, he seems to be more of a utility man.

I was looking at the photos of the team training and wondered who the bloke was in the seventh picture down, think you've answered it for me
YNWA

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33267 on: November 18, 2011, 06:30:53 pm »

Really, if it is spurs away I'll be there for that,anyone know the date
YNWA

Offline superjack

• Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Delilah (deh-du-diddle-diddle-diddydooo)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #33268 on: November 18, 2011, 07:05:13 pm »
We didn't offer him out though, a club came in for him. Kenny said he should take the opportunity and it would be good for him as did his family, but he didn't want to. Pretty stupid really

Spearing turned down a loan move to wolves this season. Its good in one way that payers want to stay and fight for their position. Robinson is plenty young if he went and played league one he could get disillusioned when he comes back. Kenny will guide him, plus we don't know robbo side of the story.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:15:05 pm by superjack »

Offline superjack

• Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Delilah (deh-du-diddle-diddle-diddydooo)
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #33269 on: November 18, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »
Really, if it is spurs away I'll be there for that,anyone know the date

It could be in Dubai or Qatar sometime in Jan. Spurs have solaman codabayle who played for Ghana in the u17 world cup Google him if you haven't seen him play he is a goal machine.

Offline superjack

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #33270 on: November 18, 2011, 08:14:12 pm »

Quirk is very young and a talented winger I rate him highly. Petersen from what I seen has too many silly tricks that we need to get coached out of him but he's big and strong he might come good in time. He look a little like cristano ronaldo, runs like him too but plays a bit like johnny ronaldo, cristano,s lesser known cross dressing man city loving straight brother.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:19:16 pm by superjack »

Offline El jefe

• Kopite
« Reply #33271 on: November 18, 2011, 08:21:59 pm »
Spearing turned down a loan move to wolves this season. Its good in one way that payers want to stay and fight for their position. Robinson is plenty young if he went and played league one he could get disillusioned when he comes back. Kenny will guide him, plus we don't know robbo side of the story.

Speo is older and had a loan experience though, Jack hasn't. You are right Kenny will guide him but he wanted him to go out. The fact of the matter is regular football is important for a players development he's not getting that and when he does it's not at a competitive level. 99/100 times a loan move improves the youngster involved. Man United do it to almost all of theirs.  It makes them more hungry when they come back as well, as they have had a taste of regular football. It's easy to stagnate in the reserves

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33272 on: November 18, 2011, 08:30:03 pm »
It could be in Dubai or Qatar sometime in Jan. Spurs have solaman codabayle who played for Ghana in the u17 world cup Google him if you haven't seen him play he is a goal machine.

Dubai, on second thoughts I dont think I'll make it, why dubai
YNWA

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33273 on: November 18, 2011, 08:32:01 pm »
Please tell me where you know that from because I am fairly sure that is not true.

Offline babraham

• blincoln. Likes to have man crushes cos he's so pretty, oh so pretty (vacant).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33274 on: November 18, 2011, 11:16:01 pm »
He played left of a forward three for England, looks very quick and strong and direct with an awkward running style a bit like Krasic
He's a quick skillful winger, similar to sterling but left footed left midfielder, he should link up with ohanlon well for the u16,s. Great job by camolli and good news for the academy.
Saw Ojo play play a game and a half in the victory shield and was very impressed. He played on the left but as far as I know he can play all across midfield. From the games I saw he is an all round Athlete (amazing that he won't turn 15 till next summer) with very good technical ability. Wonder if he'll go into the u16's or u18's? Probably a bit of both like Sterling did when he arrived?
Cheers lads.
The imbecile formerly known as babraham. But now called babraham again! Though still an imbecile. Sadly.

Klopp: "We have to change from doubters to believers...NOW"

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33275 on: November 19, 2011, 10:52:17 am »

LFC U18s at Man City KO 1100GMT Belford, McLaughlin, Pelosi, Rafferty, Regan, Aymler, Peterson, Dunn, Moli, Sumner, Lussey

LFC Subs Quirk, Wearing, Baio, M Wilson, King

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #33276 on: November 19, 2011, 11:01:53 am »
LFC U18s at Man City KO 1100GMT Belford, McLaughlin, Pelosi, Rafferty, Regan, Aymler, Peterson, Dunn, Moli, Sumner, Lussey

LFC Subs Quirk, Wearing, Baio, M Wilson, King

Interesting that it looks like Pelosi is playing left back again, looked mightily impressive going forward but a bit shakey in defence

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33277 on: November 19, 2011, 11:22:00 am »
Interesting that it looks like Pelosi is playing left back again, looked mightily impressive going forward but a bit shakey in defence

Can't believe he's left back again as he looked way out of his depth but going forward class.
YNWA

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #33278 on: November 19, 2011, 11:39:49 am »
1-0 up.

Moli assisted by Dunn.

The academy's good again, rejoice!

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #33279 on: November 19, 2011, 12:36:05 pm »
2 - 0 Lussey. City have missed a penalty.

Edit - 3-0 Jack Dunn