Author Topic: Liverpool v Manchester Utd: After game, Bleakness  (Read 70860 times)

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool v Manchester Utd: After game, Bleakness
« Reply #960 on: December 16, 2007, 09:45:56 pm »
Well they stopped our midfield from playing so they won that battle...
Nobody ''plays'' in these kind of matches.

No resemblance of quality football ever occurs. Our back 4 and middle 2 did an excellent job defensively. We stifled one of the better attacking teams in world football.
We shouldnt forget that.

Offline heather123

• not in the clique... and won't be if she keeps moaning...
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #961 on: December 16, 2007, 09:46:20 pm »
had some decent games at bayern I reckon and did erm... quite alright in the 2006 WC. Can't understand all the fuzz about him either though

He was slated for years during England games, has a half decent World Cup - best out of the bad performances in my opinion - and a £20m price tag is then thrown on him and he's World Class and off to United.  Bullshit.

Offline terry66

• Main Stander
« Reply #962 on: December 16, 2007, 09:47:04 pm »
This thread is hilarious.
The scouse delusion doesn't stop.

The first bit of sense, well said

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #963 on: December 16, 2007, 09:47:25 pm »
sorry mate, its just i'm as confused as the next guy about it all...

As long as we agree to stand by rafa and the boys then nuthing to worry about!!!  ;)

Offline terry66

• Main Stander
« Reply #964 on: December 16, 2007, 09:48:41 pm »
As long as we agree to stand by rafa and the boys then nuthing to worry about!!!  ;)

More sense, what is this forum coming to

Offline tarbs

• Main Stander
« Reply #965 on: December 16, 2007, 09:49:06 pm »
I tell you one thing, the amount of winging fans on here makes me sick. Lets look at the table and not just United but city above us and dare I mention that blue shite hot on our heels. Come on boys and girls
the blue shite will always be mere flys buzzing around our arse but man city for godsake....THATS UNACCEPTABLE THAT.

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #966 on: December 16, 2007, 09:50:20 pm »
Well, it could be argued that he picked them so it is partly his fault surely? Kewell and Kuyt were dreadful today.
Paul. Even with the quality these players can produce. I say nay to it being the managers fault. They all knew what kind of game it was and they importance of the result, but just didn't do the simple things. Rafa for once kept the same team hoping we could do a number on them, but look where we are, still haven't moved up and with the blueshite on our heels.
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline terry66

• Main Stander
« Reply #967 on: December 16, 2007, 09:50:25 pm »
the blue shite will always be mere flys buzzing around our arse but man city for godsake....THATS UNACCEPTABLE THAT.

How many people said Sven was shit!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tarbs

• Main Stander
« Reply #968 on: December 16, 2007, 09:52:21 pm »
cant believe im reading that some people think carra played well today! some people really watch with red tinted glasses! how many times was it back to keeper or long ball up the pitch from him. didnt look to build an attack or keep the ball from the back once. as far gerrard having a quiet game, very hard to impose yourself in midfield when the balls not passed about. was feeding off knock downs and scraps for most of the game spent more time looking to win the ball back from another hopeful long ball. never played to torres' strengths at all. how kuyt gets a game is beyond me, a pathetic player. play crouch or babbel up there. someone whos gonna threaten. riise gets found out week in week out but options are limited until we get a better LB. and i know its trivial but why does reina always look for that quick kick out since he managed to assist that once! losing possesion from it all the time!

at the end of the day i felt man u used the ball more intelligently when they had it. giggs was MOM from where i was standing and would have liked somone like him in a red shirt to put his foot on ball and take the game that was there for the taking by the scruff of the neck.

cant see a title challenge coming from us this season but hope im wrong...
only 23 posts must be a manc in disguise!!

Offline tarbs

• Main Stander
« Reply #969 on: December 16, 2007, 09:55:40 pm »
How many people said Sven was shit!!!!!!!!!!!
i always rated him mate but he was dealing with overpaid, arrogant playerpower with the likes of john terry, ashley cole, lampard etc

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #970 on: December 16, 2007, 09:56:23 pm »
As I said earlier it is fine lines in these games as good players cancel each other out.

We are not the greatest team in world when we win or the worst when we lose.

We are a very good team and two players short of winning the title. It will come though and we are not out of this years so fuck the negativity. 
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline BrianFantana

• Kemlynite
« Reply #971 on: December 16, 2007, 09:57:28 pm »
ha ha just the way i seen it today lad, thought we huffed and puffed without ever stretching them or getting behing them. dont remember there keeper havin a save to make. and thought we were in too much of a hurry to get the ball up the field. didnt look to build any pressure.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #972 on: December 16, 2007, 09:58:08 pm »
As I said earlier it is fine lines in these games as good players cancel each other out.

We are not the greatest team in world when we win or the worst when we lose.

We are a very good team and two players short of winning the title. It will come though and we are not out of this years so fuck the negativity. 

What are the two positions you think we're lacking in?
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline tarbs

• Main Stander
« Reply #973 on: December 16, 2007, 09:58:35 pm »
ha ha just the way i seen it today lad, thought we huffed and puffed without ever stretching them or getting behing them. dont remember there keeper havin a save to make. and thought we were in too much of a hurry to get the ball up the field. didnt look to build any pressure.
we're flattering to deceive YET AGAIN...or are we just shite.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: December 16, 2007, 10:00:40 pm »
SGE isn't shit. Never was. He took the England team to the 1/4s and McLaren failed to even qualify. Now he's changed Man C because he understands basic stuff, like that Didi Hamann isn't supposed to run at 100 mph. Which most decent managers would have figured out after a couple of training sessions.

However, I doubt that Man C are good enough to last the whole season.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #975 on: December 16, 2007, 10:00:47 pm »
What are the two positions you think we're lacking in?

A decent consistent left back good on the ball and another striker who will hare the burden of scoring goals with Torres.

A team like this would be ideal:

Reina
Arbeloa
Agger
Carra 
New LB
Gerrard
Alonso
Masch
Kewell or Babel
Torres
New striker

I still think we are a good team now but top teams can score from all over the park and sometimes we struggle.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #976 on: December 16, 2007, 10:04:29 pm »
A decent consistent left back good on the ball and another striker who will hare the burden of scoring goals with Torres.

Reina
Arbeloa
Agger
Carra 
New LB
Gerrard
Alonso
Masch
Kewell or Babel
Torres
New striker

I still think we are a good team now but top teams can score from all over the park and sometimes we struggle.

I'd agree with that but still think we need another quality winger because I'm not sure how often Rafa will play Masch/Gerrard/Alonso together (though we might see soon when Xabi comes back). It's sad that after 3 years we are still talking after another toothless display in attack against a top side, about how we need a new striker and winger.

How many more years are we going to be "2 or 3 players away"??  ???

Offline tarbs

• Main Stander
« Reply #977 on: December 16, 2007, 10:05:02 pm »

Reina
Arbeloa
Agger
Carra 
New LB
Gerrard
Alonso
Masch
Kewell or Babel
Torres
New striker

well said....my point through out all of this is that we have a BLOODY GOOD team but everytime we slip up the lunatics come out and start wanting to rip it all up...lets just be happy for once and remember what rafa has achieved, winning the Champions League for Godsake...he could've retired then and there and been revered for ever...so stick by him shipmates.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: December 16, 2007, 10:07:25 pm »
Look, it was far-fetched anyway to think we'd go on and win the league this season, but that is not to say that we our out of it. We were not at our best today, but we at-least matched united. There's still obviously changes to be made, people forget that, okay rafa has spent money on players in the past, but those players have nearly all been grade B players or rejects. I think we have some class players now, but thats by no means the whole team just yet. We need a new winger and need to start thinking about playing babel more as a striker, I think kuyt, risse, crouch are the usual suspects.

We had 2 great opportunities in the first half and we didn't take em, we paid the price and then they sit back and look to break on the counter at any given opportunity. Its very hard to score against a team with 11 men behind the ball and okay we should be able and have broken down teams this season who have that mentality, but players using this tactic and who are the calibre of that lot today is no easy game.

Heard Mullitt and Redknapps comments at the end of the game, Liverpool were not creative, load of shit that. You dont have many options with 11 men behind the ball. Look, we still Havant got Agger, Alonso and Pennant back in the team, this is still not our strongest team and we've held well. we're technically 6 points adrift and who's to say we wont beat all 3 top teams away from home come the second half of the season?

Chin up lads it will click soon enough and we'll beat all 3 of them fuckers home and away.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #979 on: December 16, 2007, 10:08:17 pm »
I'd agree with that but still think we need another quality winger because I'm not sure how often Rafa will play Masch/Gerrard/Alonso together (though we might see soon when Xabi comes back). It's sad that after 3 years we are still talking after another toothless display in attack against a top side, about how we need a new striker and winger.

How many more years are we going to be "2 or 3 players away"??  ???

We are not miles away though which is frustrating.

In my mind we have never been close recently until now.

Who knows what will happen but we do turn into a bad team overnight do we???

It is just the knee jerkers on here who need to look at themselves.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #980 on: December 16, 2007, 10:10:30 pm »
Don't think we're lacking at LB myself. What we need is a top quality LM/RM and a CB. Too many negative things are being said about Riise, but we are good defensively with him in the side. What we need is someone who can create something out of nothing. I think up front is less of a priority. Babel can easily be played up front and if we think about most other sides, Barca excluded, they seem to get by with one "main" striker.

The CB is needed because Sami is on his way out and Carra isn't exactly a youngster anymore.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #981 on: December 16, 2007, 10:15:05 pm »
Same old same old,  they were the better side, only taking a step back once they were in front.  Too many players failed to produce enough skill and endeavour to compete against them all over the park and they did win all the battles.

One goal was always going to be enough and therefore a mistake could not be afforded, and more inspiration/ruthlessness shown up front.  They made 2 mistakes and we failed to punish them, we made one and were punished.  That is the difference between winning and losing at this level, and why they challenge for the title and we won't.

We did alright defensively, but with the ball we lacked composure, ideas and inspiration.  We had enough possession in their half to build up a head of steam, but not the players.  Gerrard and Mascherano tried hard, but created little, benayoun and kewell were poor and bossed by their full back (with Evra, that is almost acceptable, but wes brown?!?), Kuyt worked hard but with little effect or penetration and Torres did not get the service or support to really stretch ferdinand and vidic.

This match shows how much further we have to go to challenge effectively.  We may pick up more points throughout the season, but we still have to beat (score even) against the mancs to really progress.  The benchmark is still the mancs and chelsea, and we have yet to reach that benchmark, or even come close.

Positive notes - riise played well, keeping ronaldo very quiet (with help from mascherano) and was a good outlet (cue "but his distribution was shite, he just wellied it like he always does"; no he didn't he mainly kept it simple, and moved the ball into the opposition half swiftly by carrying it or getting into space, and provided good support for kewell), babel looked better again when he came on, which bodes well for the future (this season included), taking people on and running at defenders at a fairly frightening pace.  And we did defend well against a pretty good attacking side, save for one error at a set piece and a couple of breaks when we were caught short.

Biggest negative is that we still failed to trouble the mancs defence - which is the best in the league and is therefore no disgrace but is not good enough if you want to challenge for the title.  It just exposes the fact that we still have a way to go to really challenge.

Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: December 16, 2007, 10:15:43 pm »
Who knows what will happen but we do turn into a bad team overnight do we???

No, but we're yet to show that we're anything more than a team looking to secure CL football every year rather than challenging for the title. I do think we're making progress but we're 10 (lets say 7) points off the top and still have to goto Maine Road, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and Emirates. It hardly fills me with much optimism.

I said in August that I think this year we are playing mainly for belief. We didn't have to win the title but gain belief that the management team and the majority of the squad assembled by them is good enough to mount a title challenge and push CHelsea/United. I'm not seeing it yet and we've left ourselves a huge mountain to climb.

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
  • dont you know who i think i am?
« Reply #983 on: December 16, 2007, 10:17:12 pm »
for me, the difference in the two sides is at the back. statistically, we might not be far off them, but their back 4 ooze class. evra is a more direct, pacey wide player than anyone in our midfield. he can fuckin defend too.

ferdinand is world class, evra is rock solid and scores goals, and brown/neville don't really put a foot wrong.

what impresses me most though is that they are all quick, and all ball players. they can play out of tight areas etc..

i am personally sick to death of seeing carragher playing the ball in the air. we've got noone who can bring the ball out of defence (admittedly agger is injured but he can't be relied on to do all of the ball playing on his own) and riise is just a walking disaster with the ball at his feet. can't knock any of our defenders, they're all playing well, to the best of their ability, but the quality on the ball, and pace is not there, and for me, that is the difference between a team that can launch fluid attacks throughout the team (arsenal also), and one like us, with disjointed football when faced with a solid team who set out to defend.

Offline Sweet Silver Song

• Rotation, rotation, rotation....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Proud not to be a hypocrite...
« Reply #984 on: December 16, 2007, 10:19:51 pm »
for me, the difference in the two sides is at the back. statistically, we might not be far off them, but their back 4 ooze class. evra is a more direct, pacey wide player than anyone in our midfield. he can fuckin defend too.

ferdinand is world class, evra is rock solid and scores goals, and brown/neville don't really put a foot wrong.

what impresses me most though is that they are all quick, and all ball players. they can play out of tight areas etc..

i am personally sick to death of seeing carragher playing the ball in the air. we've got noone who can bring the ball out of defence (admittedly agger is injured but he can't be relied on to do all of the ball playing on his own) and riise is just a walking disaster with the ball at his feet. can't knock any of our defenders, they're all playing well, to the best of their ability, but the quality on the ball, and pace is not there, and for me, that is the difference between a team that can launch fluid attacks throughout the team (arsenal also), and one like us, with disjointed football when faced with a solid team who set out to defend.

To be fair, I thought for large parts of the first half their "cultured" defenders were hoofing the ball.
*With such simplicity the European cup is won.
**Sour-ness, will he get a shot? Now Dalglish...across the face of the goaaaalllll!
***Alan Kennedy!...He goes on...he scores!
****Liverpool need a Grobbelaar save...or a Conti miss. They've got a Conti miss!
*****And Liverpool have won it! They're back...outsiders all the way...

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #985 on: December 16, 2007, 10:21:30 pm »
To be fair, I thought for large parts of the first half their "cultured" defenders were hoofing the ball.

ive always thought man u's defence is shit and like you say were hoofing the ball through out the first half!!!

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #986 on: December 16, 2007, 10:22:17 pm »
Our basic pass and move was non-existent today which is odd because it's been good this season.

I still think it's totally psychological with them. We show them too much respect, like some of the players have some sort of inferiority complex with them. 
JFT97

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: December 16, 2007, 10:25:31 pm »

i weren't necessarily only talking about today (although evra got in behind a few times), just generally over the course of a season.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #988 on: December 16, 2007, 10:26:35 pm »
sorry to disappoint fella but it is OVER...10 points behind Arsenal..no way are they going to slip up and if they did it wouldnt be us to overtake them....sorry to say but I think it might be time to call time on Rafa...maybe GUs Hiddink might fancy a shot or perhaps Mourhinhol

Where are all these fucking planks coming from!
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #989 on: December 16, 2007, 10:27:01 pm »
Played into their hands today by two many long balls, torres needs to be threaded into the channels! not humped balls in air too
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline ben

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: December 16, 2007, 10:27:01 pm »
Our basic pass and move was non-existent today which is odd because it's been good this season.

I still think it's totally psychological with them. We show them too much respect, like some of the players have some sort of inferiority complex with them. 

probably because half of them are inferior.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #991 on: December 16, 2007, 10:28:06 pm »
i weren't necessarily only talking about today (although evra got in behind a few times), just generally over the course of a season.

They defended in numbers today thats the only reason why they kept a clean sheet.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #992 on: December 16, 2007, 10:28:10 pm »
Wouldn't say Utd's back four ooze class and ours don't. In the first half especially, we put their defenders under pressure and they had to hoof it upfield. But I'd agree that we're in need for a ballplaying CB. It's the future of football that CBs become more similar to CMs. Now that we are to find a new CB, we should definitely go for one who is comfortable on the ball.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: December 16, 2007, 10:29:09 pm »
Fucking Manc c*nts!

Typical smash and grab raid by them.  They created 1 decent chance in the game, scored from it and then knew all they needed to do was sit back and let the ball run kindly for them as fucking usual.  I HATE those wankers so much it pains me.

Having said that, we created only 1 clear chance.  And as much as I love Benayoun what the fuck was he doing on the line when everyone else had pushed out to play the offside trap?

In summary: gutted and seething at their luck.  One day and one day soon we're going to kick them all the way back to the 1980s.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline tsgod1

• Went fishing. Caught fuck all. Loves the Wills. Which is odd.
  • Kopite
« Reply #994 on: December 16, 2007, 10:30:12 pm »
Rafa Benitez is the best tactican in  the world but today he got it so wrong. When I saw the team sheet I groaned very loudly. Playing Gerrard in the centre was absurd and playing Gerrard in the centre without Alonso(I know he's injured) just made the decision even more absurd. Instantly that makes our best player useless. After that we're left to rely on Benayoun Kewell Kuyt and Torres. Benayoun is a good player but he's not a regular starter for the PL champions. Kewell is not exactly reliable and was non-existand againt their worst defender which made me really think. Kuyt is a big game player but he had an off day. Torres , while being explosive and soon to be best striker in the league , cannot do it every week by him damn self.

The team also lack the right mentality for games against United. I won't say the race is over but we really really fucked up today.
The Angels came on sunny day
They came to take our Bob away
The greatest sight for you to see
3 European cups for Bob paisley
               PAISLEY

Offline HiroProtagonist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #995 on: December 16, 2007, 10:31:28 pm »
Man Utd play fast flowing football eh? I sure as hell didn't see any of that today

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #996 on: December 16, 2007, 10:31:52 pm »

I agree with some of that.  Our pass and move only really got going after the Beşiktaş mauling, but you're right about the psychological bit.  It's some sort of mental block we can't get over.  We don't have it with Chelsea or Arsenal.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: December 16, 2007, 10:33:02 pm »
sorry to disappoint fella but it is OVER...10 points behind Arsenal..no way are they going to slip up and if they did it wouldnt be us to overtake them....sorry to say but I think it might be time to call time on Rafa...maybe GUs Hiddink might fancy a shot or perhaps Mourhinhol

well said....my point through out all of this is that we have a BLOODY GOOD team but everytime we slip up the lunatics come out and start wanting to rip it all up...lets just be happy for once and remember what rafa has achieved, winning the Champions League for Godsake...he could've retired then and there and been revered for ever...so stick by him shipmates.

You are a *** and a *** please go away.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:35:11 pm by Trousers »
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #998 on: December 16, 2007, 10:35:15 pm »

Where are all these fucking planks coming from!

Sorry Alan but I agree with him, not about replacing the manager obviously. Rafa is the man to do it, although I don't think it will be this season any more.

Will be made up to be proven wrong though

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #999 on: December 16, 2007, 10:35:34 pm »
Man Utd play fast flowing football eh? I sure as hell didn't see any of that today

Sounds like you and I were watching the same game.