Author Topic: Rafa an autocrat? Let's drop that and have a rethink eh?  (Read 21346 times)

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa an autocrat? Let's drop that and have a rethink eh?
« Reply #80 on: February 8, 2009, 09:58:34 pm »
I've not seen any autocratic tendancies. Some adjectives that spring to mind from the years we've had to observe him:

Meticulous
Pragmatic
Unemotional
Single minded
Political

to name a few...

"We try to cover the possible scenarios of a game in training so the players are able to make decisions for themselves on the pitch"

Cant remember where I heard that / read it, but it came either from Benitez or Gerrard commenting on Benitez.

Regardless, it does have some reason to it. No manager has any REAL control over what is happening in a game. You cannot control the outcome of 25 humans making individual decisions.

royhendo

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2009, 09:53:17 am »
Rafa addresses it directly... interesting stuff.

Another article, with quotes from Rafa. Pay more attention at the end where he touches abit on man-management...

Now I understand why certain players like SG get lesser accolades from Rafa compared to players like Crouch...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1160741/A-Real-laugh-Spanish-flak-just-amuses-Liverpool-boss-Benítez.html?ITO=1490

Rafa Benítez seldom admits to being wrong and there was no apology before tonight's Anfield return over the furore surrounding Liverpool's first-leg philosophy in their Champions League battle against Real Madrid.

The Liverpool manager may be used to criticism, but it can rarely have been as vitriolic as in the aftermath of a 1-0 win at the Bernabeu a week last Wednesday that tilted the last-16 tie firmly in favour of his side.

All the eager anticipation that had built to a crescendo gradually drained away, in Spanish eyes at least, as Liverpool followed the tried and trusted Benítez formula of stifling the home team's attacking intentions.

It worked in classic Liverpool style and Yossi Benayoun's late goal was hardly unexpected, given Real's sagging spirits.

However, former Valencia coach Benítez was vilified by a Spanish media who were given plenty of additional ammunition by indignant Real boss Juande Ramos.

The former Tottenham manager angrily accused Liverpool of being able to play only one way as he poured out his anger and frustration at a result that did little for his prospects of remaining at the Bernabeu beyond this season.

Asked if he had been out-thought and out-manoeuvred by his Anfield counterpart, a seething Ramos snapped: 'No. I disagree completely. Liverpool came to the Bernabeu not to play football but to force a 0-0 draw. On top of that, they scored from a set play and went away with an undeserved victory.

'They will play the same way in the return game at Anfield. I am sure of that, but if we score first, we will have a real chance of going through.'

Benítez is not the first to be panned for adopting a safety-first approach on his travels in Europe and he won't be the last to point to the scoresheet with a quiet smile of satisfaction at mission accomplished.

There was no trace of regret or remorse at the opening encounter failing to live up to its billing as one-time Real youth coach Benítez reflected on the Spanish scorn that has been heaped on him and broke into the broadest of grins.

'I know what they have been saying and writing and I am really happy about it,' he said.

'Really happy, because it just confirms what I already knew, that we did a very good job over there.

'I don't care how I am perceived in Spain. All that concerns me is making sure I am doing the right things for Liverpool to the best of my ability.

'Of course, I want us to play well and in a way that is good to watch, but the priority is to win. The correct order is to win and then to play well if you can.

'Let's see how Real approach it now they have a job to do. I don't think they will throw everything at us from the beginning, but clearly they are going to have to attack. But it's not always as simple as that. Sometimes, in the modern game, clever people can make the difference, players who can understand and adapt if you have to change things.

'You have to have a plan B or C up your sleeve and we have shown in Europe that we have players who are capable of putting that into practice when needs be.'

While Benítez may have alienated some of his fellow Spaniards, he insists he is on cordial terms with his own players, despite more suggestions that he can be detached from them.

Match-winner Benayoun was quoted as saying Benítez chose not to join in the celebrations in the Bernabeu's away dressing room, but the Liverpool manager countered: 'There was some talk about me not saying "well done" to the players, but, believe me, that is not the case. Every day since I took over five years ago, I have made a point of congratulating the players and staff for what they have done.

'I am standing in the doorway of the dressing room when the players come in and always I shake their hand and say: "Good effort, well done". The other day, I made a point of telling David Ngog that not only was he playing but he would score a goal. When he did, I said to him that it was fantastic.

'If it has a positive effect on a player, I will always do it, but some don't need it. Benayoun is probably one, because he is clever and knows what I am all about.

'I am hard to please. There is a saying in Spain about a manager never being satisfied and that is probably right. If I look unemotional on the touchline when we score a goal, it is because my mind is on how we can improve. I am actually celebrating inside, but I am always thinking about what we could do better.

'Would I ever be completely satisfied? Maybe if we scored five goals and did not concede. There again, I would probably find fault somewhere.'

royhendo

« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2009, 06:23:28 am »
Some great comments from the captain - he's definitely in a good mood.  ;)

Quote from: The Guardian
..."My relationship with Rafa has got stronger as time's gone by. Maybe when I was a bit younger I was a bit selfish, thinking of myself a bit too much when he was playing me out of position [on the right of midfield]. I should have maybe taken a deep breath and realised he was asking me to do that for the team. But, at the moment, he's playing me in my favourite position, I'm captain, we're winning. Things at the club are really good.For years and years I've moaned about not being involved in a title race and being far away from the other teams. But at the moment I'm playing in a team that's capable of beating anyone in the league. I'm settled, I'm happy. Things on the pitch couldn't be better."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/25/steven-gerrard-new-contract-liverpool

A fuller version from the Mail...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1164575/Stevie-sign-good-All-Gerrard-hit-form-England.html

Quote from: Daily Mail
Stevie to sign for good: All Gerrard has to do now is hit top form for England
By Matt Lawton Chief Football Correspondent

Last updated at 10:46 AM on 25th March 2009

---

After treating him mean for five years, Rafa Benitez will probably take some satisfaction from hearing how keen Steven Gerrard remains.

Yesterday England's finest midfielder said he would like to stay at Liverpool for the rest of his career and is keener still to continue working under a manager he admits was right all along.

Benitez used to really get to Gerrard, and not just because he was forever deploying him in roles that he did not consider were his best.

It was the cold-hearted response to anything he did well. No praise in the post-match press conferences. No pat on the back. Not even a smile.

Now, however, Gerrard finally gets what Benitez is all about. The ultra-professional, largely unemotional approach, and the focus on the team rather than any one individual.

Always candid and interesting to listen to, Gerrard sat in the England team hotel here in Hertfordshire and reflected on his time with a Spaniard who has built the best Liverpool team in almost 20 years.

'My relationship with Rafa has got stronger and stronger as time's gone by,' he said.

'Maybe when I was a bit younger I was a bit selfish, thinking of myself a bit too much when he was playing me out of position. I should have maybe taken a deep breath and realised it was for the team.

'When Rafa first came I spent a couple of years on the right. I had a little moan and complained that I was there every week.

'But he said to me that when he got strong enough players to play out wide, he wanted me in a central position attacking. He felt that was my best position. But until then I had to sacrifice myself on the right.'

And the lack of emotion? 'Sometimes he shows it,' said Gerrard. 'But he's a top manager and he'll always be thinking of the next game. He'll be seeing the goals go in against Aston Villa but be thinking of Fulham. He's a winner. He's good.'

So much so that Gerrard even agrees with Benitez's sometimes controversial rotation policy. 'The reason we are looking so fresh and powerful at the moment is because the manager changes it around at the right time and rests players at the right time,' he said.

'When you're selfish, particularly when you're younger, you want to play every game. But when you've got that little bit more experience you realise it is a very long season.

'Sometimes you have to accept getting taken off or rested so you're reaching your peak at the right stage of the season.
'We've got two massive Champions League games coming up against Chelsea and every league game is like a cup final. So it's important that the players are fresh and ready.'

It is the role as supporting striker to Fernando Torres that excites Gerrard most, however. That convinces him Anfield is the only place to be. 'I do want to be successful but I'm really happy at the club at the moment, playing in a top team, with world-class players under a manager with whom I believe we can be successful,' he said.
'I've got two years left on my contract and if there was a chance to extend that, I'm sure I'd do it. 'I've never been happier than I am at the moment throughout my career. Things on the pitch could not be better. I'm playing in my best position and I think you're seeing the best of me.

'There's a good feeling around at the moment but it's important not to get carried away. Manchester United are still favourites.
'If they win their game in hand they're four points ahead, which is a decent lead at this stage of the season. But confidence is high, the momentum is with us. We have to focus on what we're doing and, if they have another slip-up, we have to capitalise on it.
 Follow me: Beckham (centre) is tracked by (from left) Ferdinand, Carrick, Terry,
Rooney, Lampard, Downing and Green in training at Colney Park

'For years and years, I've moaned about not being involved in a title race and being too far away from the other teams. But at the moment I'm playing in a team who are capable of beating anyone in the league.'

But what about England? What about seeing Gerrard in the position he occupies for Liverpool in the England team? What about pushing Wayne Rooney into the Torres role to accommodate him?

'Wayne Rooney can do anything,' he said. 'These are things the manager has to decide - where to play certain players - but I'd love nothing better than the chance to play in that role for England in the hope of finding that form.

'Rafa has really helped me a lot in enabling me to improve in the position. I've been playing it quite a lot for Liverpool now and getting my head around it and I'm enjoying the freedom of playing in there.

'I've got two holding midfielders playing behind me who are doing an awful lot of running for me and have freed it up for me.

'I feel that's when you get the best out of me, when I'm free to run at defenders and cause danger in the attacking third.
'But it's the manager's decision to determine where I play. Fabio Capello has to make that decision. If I was picked to play there, I'd be very happy.

'I've played there all season for Liverpool and I think that would help me. But I'll play where I'm needed. For the team.' For England and for Liverpool.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:52:29 pm by royhendo »

Offline josemisuncle

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2009, 12:26:40 pm »
From Arbeloa.

From our point of view, Rafa’s new deal was very important. He may appear to be too serious for many people but that’s not what the players think. He is a coach whose only desire is to obtain the maximum from everybody and, under him, I feel like I am the best player in Spain.

“We are happy he is staying because the news means continuity and generates calm and confidence as we go about our work.”

http://www.madeupnonsense.com/arbeloa-liverpool-team-can-be-bigger-beatles-234612

royhendo

« Reply #84 on: May 7, 2009, 04:30:13 pm »
GERRARD PRAISES RAFA MAN-MANAGEMENT

Jimmy Rice 07 May 2009

Steven Gerrard has praised Rafa Benitez's man-management, claiming it is a pleasure to play in the current Liverpool team.

The skipper believes his Spanish boss has taken the Reds to new heights this term by creating a true team ethic down at Melwood and Anfield.

Gerrard told LFC Magazine: "It is an absolute pleasure to play in this Liverpool team - I really mean that.

"We've got world-class players, we've turned in some fantastic displays of attacking football and some really, really solid defensive performances.

"There are no stars in this team, or no one with any airs or graces. We're one unit, we work hard for each other and we all pull in the same direction.

"We've got absolutely everything you need to be successful at the very highest level.

"We've got players making an impact from the start and boys coming off the bench and affecting the game. I've got to pay tribute to the manager because it's difficult for him picking only 11 players for the starting line-up.

"Keeping the lads on the bench and those who have missed out on the squad in the frame of mind to make a significant contribution is a difficult task, but Rafa's been able to do that this season.

"That's not an easy balancing act but he manages it brilliantly. He and his coaches keep everyone hungry and ready when they've been needed. As a player now you can't be selfish. Certainly, you can't be selfish at Liverpool.

"It's a squad game, and if you're not in the starting line-up you can't be thinking, 'I'm giving in'."

Gerrard added: "They've instilled this winning mentality in us. It's simple really - it's been drummed into us since the boss came to the club.

"No matter how the game's going, no matter what the scoreline is, or no matter how you might be playing personally, you keep doing the right things all the time and keep going until the end."

Liverpool finished 11 points behind United last term but, with just three games to go this time around, that gap has been reduced to just three.

Despite the improvement, Gerrard has identified areas to be addressed - including slashing this season's haul of seven home draws.

"If we are to go on to win the league this season there are a few lessons we can learn to take into the next year," he added.

"If we don't, there will still be things we can improve to make sure we are a better team next season. We have to use this one to our benefit, no matter what happens in the future.

"For example, there have been too many draws at Anfield for our liking.

"We are a great side away from home. We're strong, can be physical, don't lose too many goals and are dangerous opponents for anyone. It's difficult sometimes when you come up against these teams who arrive at Anfield with virtually every player behind the ball.

"No one comes to play attacking football because they respect what we can do and know they're going to be picked off and destroyed.

"We need to be more ruthless at home. It would certainly have helped us out this season. There are points there that, if we had taken them, we would be top with three games to go.

"But we'll keep going until the end. We won't surrender when we're so close. Winning the title with this club would mean the world to me."

Gerrard admits to feelings of 'anger' in previous campaigns when Liverpool have been out of the race by Christmas. Such memories have acted as extra motivation this time around.

"I'm not going to lie," the Huyton-born midfielder added. "Being out of the title race in January and being 30 points behind the leaders is frustrating for me.

"If being in that position doesn't frustrate you, then you're not the player for me. There's something wrong with you. But I think that anger and those feelings have helped me, certainly, and the others to get much closer to it this season.

"We have to be proud of our achievements this season, whatever happens.

"If United close it out then we're going to have a right good go over the next three, four or five years and I believe we're too good not to win it.

"I honestly believe in my heart of hearts that this team will win the Premier League trophy. I believe I'll get my hands on it."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164285090507-1143.htm

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #85 on: May 7, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »
He is an autocrat, I quite frankly I'm made up he is, I'd be a whole lot more chuffed about this new world order thing if Rafa or Shankly was going to be world leader.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

royhendo

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2009, 09:08:35 am »
Christ, he's getting all new age man on our ass...

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164347090512-0832.htm

royhendo

« Reply #87 on: June 5, 2009, 08:46:46 am »
He's brought the best out of truculent characters like Gerrard and a very headstrong Carra - people who wouldn't suffer a fool for a milli-second. He's unleashed Torres' undoubtedly immense potential in a way that his home club and national side didn't and haven't. He's given unassuming players like Arbeloa, Crouch and Benayoun levels of fire and self-belief they probably had no idea they had. He's put steel and a vicsciousness into Alonso's icy-calm play and curbed Mascherano's mouth without harming his fire or aggression on the pitch. He's turned a top scoring striker into a right-winger without complaint, and has never shied away from buying strong, even 'dubious' characters like Bellamy and indeed Reina. Mercurial 'problem' types like Bellamy and Cisse who aren't shy with their opinions were shunted out without a bad word about the gaffer from either of them, indeed they've had nothing but praise and respect for the man, despite having (arguably) genuine cause for complaint - certainly more than Keane ever had.

Just because he keeps things aloof and professional doesn't make him a bad man-manager. I think people confuse 'good man management' with 'pandering to players egos, building them up and telling them how amazing they are'.

I've no doubt the latter approach would have brought the best out of Keane, and would bring the best out of Babel - doesn't make it good man-management. Indeed that kind of approach can lead to players stagnating and fulfilling their potential. I strongly believe Keane would have become a far better player for listening to Rafa. After all, Gerrard was a vastly superior player than Keane when Rafa got hold of him - and despite his moans and gripes with Rafa he's become even better yet - arguable the very best in the world, for my money certainly the best no10 type - a position NO-ONE saw him playing in even three years ago.

Guess what too? Though it seems to have been bizarrely ignored Gerrard also came out this year and basically said: "Rafa was right, I was wrong and somewhat selfish. He's the fucking biznich and I'm a lucky chappy to have him. I get on with him tippety top and wouldn't swap him for all the Chai in Tina etc etc"

His team has come back from impossible situations time after time after time and our team spirit and mental strength is now second to none - to NONE in world football. We're a side with iron discipline that puts our rivals to shame, and the players are obviously happy with each other, play for each other like their lives depend on it and celebrate like it's their kid's first words. We don't throw tantrums on or off the pitch, management decisions are as close to being completely accepted as is possible in an emotional sport like football. He gives the players huge levels of personal freedom - doesn't interfere with their lives at all and yet they somehow manage to avoid pissing themselves in public, shagging OAP prostitutes or (allegedly) gang raping people like the shining examples from other clubs with 'great' man-managers.

In this season in particular we've come from behind time after time after time and had more late winners then a 'killing people called winner' contest. This team now has a clear personality that's shining through and even starting to over-power more mentally weak opponents - even when we're playing shite.

But yeah, all that's obviously in spite of Rafa's man-management skills rather than because of them ::)

Rafa = poor man manager is a myth and a bloody tedious one. It's right up there with rotation and zonal marking in the league table of guff people say about our manager. He's a bloody superb man manager and the apparent inability of characters like Keane and Babel to deal with his approach is a testament to the strength of will he's instilling in us, not evidence of any failings.

royhendo

« Reply #88 on: June 5, 2009, 10:55:26 am »
Andrea, how are things?
«Before returning to Italy, I spoke with Benitez and explained my concerns to him"».

Did you tell him you want to leave?
«Yes».

And what did he say?
«He's a fantastic person and he understood my problem».

Yes, but what did he say?
«That if an offer comes in that suits the club and me, he will consider it and look to facilitate my transfer».

Offline therockbox

• Legacy Fan
  • Funklord
« Reply #89 on: June 5, 2009, 11:35:28 am »
Wow, what a cold, heartless bastard that Rafa is.