Author Topic: Anfield is tops for atmosphere  (Read 5782 times)

Offline TheHulk

• Kopite
Anfield is tops for atmosphere
« on: September 27, 2007, 05:24:06 pm »
Surprised this hasn't been posted already. Something we already knew....

Looks like fans don't like the prawn sandwiches at OT either!

Anfield has the best atmopshere of any ground in European, according to a
survery of English football fans.

The home of Liverpool got the nod over Celtic's Parkhead stadium with Portsmouth's Fratton Park a bizarre third place in the poll conducted by property consultants Drivers Jonas Sport.

Barcelona's Nou Camp Stadium was the highest-placed continental ground at fifth place on the list.

Anfield may have the best atmosphere but if it's a decent pie you're looking for the fans surveyed suggest you head to Arsenal's Emirates Stadium home.

Delia Smith's influence at Norwich is also reflected in the fact that Carrow Road came third in the poll to find which ground serves the best food.

In the category of best overall ground Old Trafford came out on top, although there was mixed news for Manchester United - with their home being declared the worst ground for food.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/article.html?in_article_id=67673&in_page_id=43

Also mentioned on official site.

Offline LincsScouse

• Main Stander
Re: Anfield is tops for atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:26:00 pm »
The researchers have obviously not been to Anfield this year! ::)
Whose three names are in those envelopes??

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 05:36:05 pm »
I think it already has been posted on here somewhere.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Beggerz

• can't be custom title chooserz
  • Kopite
  • Pride of Merseyside
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 05:56:15 pm »

Shame, but true

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 06:12:19 pm »
I doubt it

Offline Taylor_LFC

• Whopper who didn't make it to Porto
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 06:13:06 pm »

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 06:17:11 pm »
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 06:20:02 pm »

Why what happened?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline ShanksLad

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 07:17:47 pm »
Why what happened?

Not just this year, I'd say more like the last 5. Not enough singing and far too much 'Ooh arr ya' and 'Eeeasay' chants. Basically the reason why RTK exists. It shouldn't have to.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 07:31:51 pm »
Bollocks.

Offline campioni1984

• Fancies Paul Ince
  • Legacy Fan
  • 15 April 1989 YNWA
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 09:01:12 pm »
Celtic were 2nd and their atmosphere is shite too,apart from big European nights.Strange.
THE REDS ARE COMING UP THE HILL BOYS

Offline cmoogster

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 09:08:55 pm »
Anfield nearly always has a great atmposhere imo

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 09:11:48 pm »

When?? Bar European nights, the atmosphere is generally fucking shite. Even for big league games, the last couple against the Mancs has been poor atmosphere wise.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 09:12:23 pm »

If you only show up for CL semi finals then you're probably accurate. I think the perception is still there, partly because of nights like that which surpass anything any other ground in England can produce.

Offline Comic Book Guy

• Legacy Fan
  • In Cyber Space, Nobody Can See Your Man Breasts
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 09:17:21 pm »
I had a pie at Arsenal last year and it was awful
You should make like my pants... and split

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 09:18:28 pm »
I was hoping the block 1892 thingy might have made some difference but up to now it hasn't, unfortunately.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:55 pm »
I like the way they call Fratton Park a 'bizzare' third. Whenever I've been they create a cracking atmosphere. Shite, unoriginal songs but they're fucking loud.

Anfield, as others have said, is only special on big Euro nights. On such ocassions, it's untouchable.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline BHB

• I'm the (new) Daddy, and a little bit hormonal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 09:49:36 pm »
I like the way they call Fratton Park a 'bizzare' third. Whenever I've been they create a cracking atmosphere. Shite, unoriginal songs but they're fucking loud.

Anfield, as others have said, is only special on big Euro nights. On such ocassions, it's untouchable.

And behind the goal at Pompy they all stand all game.

Strange hey
A Son of Shankly

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 09:53:37 pm »
And behind the goal at Pompy they all stand all game.

Strange hey

We need the bloke with the tattoos. That's the main difference here. Wonder if we could get him to change loyalties.

Offline BHB

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 09:54:56 pm »
We need the bloke with the tattoos. That's the main difference here. Wonder if we could get him to change loyalties.

We've got one c*nt in Pete Sampara already. They both bevy together in The Park when we play up here, and bevy together down there. c*nts.
A Son of Shankly

Offline the red camel

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 10:01:25 pm »
it's not new for me...everbody knows that we are the best supporters in the world

Offline BHB

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 10:04:15 pm »
it's not new for me...everbody knows that we are the best supporters in the world

Yeah, everyone that only goes to European home games

(when we stand ;) )
A Son of Shankly

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 10:09:22 pm »
We've got one c*nt in Pete Sampara already. They both bevy together in The Park when we play up here, and bevy together down there. c*nts.

I dunno. Think Pete's alright myself. And Dr. Fun was a frigging legend when I was growing up. Pisshead. But I suppose he'd be considered a c*nt in this day and age - people saying he only does it for the publicity and whatever. Do agree with the Portsmouth one being a c*nt though. He strikes me as the sort of person who would suffer from severe BO too.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 10:13:46 pm »
every fucking home teams fans are generally shite to be honest, not just ours

Offline scouse tony

• Main Stander
  • we're not English we are SCOUSE
    • http://www.08travel.vpweb.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 10:20:45 pm »
To many OOters at our ground who dont know any songs, also to many people there who think that someone will laugh at them if they are cought singing.
blessed is he who in da name of charity & good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness 4 he's truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children & i will strike down upon thee with gr8 vengeance and furious anger those who attempt 2 poison & destroy my brothers & u will know my name is the lord when i lay my vengeance upon you

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 10:22:06 pm »
To many OOters at our ground who dont know any songs, also to many people there who think that someone will laugh at them if they are cought singing.

You'll fit in well. ;D

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 10:25:24 pm »

They must have been on a European night when the atmosphere is 2nd to none IMO.

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 10:28:07 pm »

c*nt

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 10:30:29 pm »
Who won the most depressed, fickle, message board super fans?

Cally? Early guess. Why not? Let's see how things progress.

*gets popcorn and crosses fingers*

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 11:50:15 pm »
Not just this year, I'd say more like the last 5. Not enough singing and far too much 'Ooh arr ya' and 'Eeeasay' chants. Basically the reason why RTK exists. It shouldn't have to.

Err I was having a stab at sarcasm mate.
Can't see what all the fuss is about, it'll never catch on!

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline ShanksLad

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2007, 12:03:05 am »
Err I was having a stab at sarcasm mate.
Can't see what all the fuss is about, it'll never catch on!

Sorry. Bit slow tonight.

Again, with the OOT vs local thing - can't we move on? OOT has nothing to do with it, what you mean is the daytripping, jester hat whoppers. Two different things.

Generally I think every Prem club has the same problem. And while we might have had a certain inlflux post Instanbul - we've got it no worse than everyone else.

Look at it this way - say we've got 25,000 whopper wankers in the crowd on a Saturday afternoon and we're being outsung by the visiting supporters - then we're still outnumbering the away support by about 4 to 1 in terms of those who are 'non-daytripping c*nts'. Where are those voices? 1892 has so far yet to inspire. (Not knocking your effort, RTK - but it hasn't roused the rest of the Kop like it was supposed to).

Maybe local support has to take some responsibility here and start opening their gobs, other than to boo after a goalless draw.

nb - I don't think for a minute we've got 25k daytrippers in the attendance - was purely said for effect, before someone shoves ST holder figures down my throat.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:05:06 am by ShanksLad »

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2007, 12:14:22 am »
Too many spectators and not enough participants.
Far too many feel they are doing their bit just by being there. They see it as the teams job to entertain and the fans job to applaud if the team do well.

There was a time when The Kop was part of the entertainment. Think back to years ago and the number of away fans who used to take pictures. You could notice it more at the night games with all the flashes going off.
A great deal is lost in terms of spectacle because of the lack of flags and flares now. Obviously you don't have lads standing on the barriers either.

The two things I notice more than anything though is the lack of 'noise', I don't mean singing, just that 'buzz' for want of a better word that used to hang in the air. Now it's either singing or it's deathly quiet. There doesn't seem to be that underlying aggression from the crowd unless the opposition commits a foul or the ref makes a wrong decision when we aren't doing well or against one of closest rivals.

The other thing is the humour. Where is it?
When was the last time you actually laughed at a song that sprang up from nowhere? At one time, what The Kop sang was as much a talking point in the pubs and workplaces as the performance of the team.
We used to be famous for it but sadly it doesn't happen anymore.

Bit more like this would be nice !
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:36:24 am by shanklyboy »

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2007, 12:16:46 am »

There's more than enough Scousers who don't sing mate, unless the vast majority of our fans are now none Scousers that is !

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline ShanksLad

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2007, 12:33:34 am »
Too many spectators and not enough participants.
Far too many feel they are doing their bit just by being there. They see it as the teams job to entertain and the fans job to applaud if the team do well.

There was a time when The Kop was part of the entertainment. Think back to years ago and the number of away fans who used to take pictures. You could notice it more at the night games with all the flashes going off.
A great deal is lost in terms of spectacle because of the lack of flags and flares now. Obviously you don't have lads standing on the barriers either.

The two things I notice more than anything though is the lack of 'noise', I don't mean singing, just that 'buzz' for want of a better word that used to hang in the air. Now it's either singing or it's deathly quiet. There doesn't seem to be that underlying aggression from the crowd unless the opposition commits a foul or the ref makes a wrong decision when we aren't doing well or against one of closest rivals.

The other thing is the humour. Where is it?
When was the last time you actually laughed at a song that sprang up from nowhere? At one time, what The Kop sang was as much a talking point in the pubs and workplaces as the performance of the team.
We used to be famous for it but sadly it doesn't happen anymore.

I saw my first game in 89/90 season and although I was only a little lad, I still remember how different it was to now. You're spot on there - it's the times between the songs that you notice it more. That hum and buzz of activity isn't there now. There was always a laugh going on somewhere on the Kop, a lot of the time you couldn't even hear what 'that fella said' but you'd join in the giggle anyway cos you were buzzin' off the mood of the place.

Now I ain't got the loudest voice at all, infact - 20 mins into a game, it cracks up if I try and shout too loud. But seriously - If I get down the Anny road and I want to shout to someone on the Kop - guaranteed, they'd hear me cos there's fuck all going on in the quiet bits.

You can't instantly fix this. 1892 isn't going to get 4 stands rocking like the proper Kop used to. We need to re-think how we sell our tickets. Who do they go to? Let's introduce more loyalty for Prem games. Let's make sure that the quiet whoppers aren't berated, but educated like we all were. 

1892 is a wonderful, proactive idea from Kopites who want to bring the noise back, but that's like sticking a plaster over a gaping wound. Let's fix it from the inside out. Let's be clear about what it is to be a red and get rid of all this Soccer AM shite the old way. Fixing touting through the fancards will be a big step in making sure that tickets aren't sold to the wrong people for starters.

Offline Stanfo

• Sleeping with the Enemy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2007, 07:07:08 am »
There never was four stands rocking, even in the good old days. The Kop for big games was loud, the Anny Road too when there was good away support, but the Main Stand and Kemlyn are louder now, fact. The rest is a fucking myth believe me, as I was there from 77 to 94 when it was seated. Can't speak for the early 60's or early 70's.

Offline double helix

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2007, 07:38:22 am »
The greatest thing about Anfield is, its not just singing & being loud (a few clubs try to ape us there);Its not just flags & banners( a few clubs,Chelsea for example tried to ape us with disastrous consequences); its not just the whole community coming to watch it be they scousers,blacks,south asians,chinese,men & women,rich and poor,children,disabledscandinavians,some from various countries in Europe. I am an Indian & over the past 10 years I go the games, not once have i been abused on racial grounds at Anfield. I have been abused at Millwall & goodison

Its the legendary scouse wit that is unmatched.Songs like "oo campione" or "john terry's ma" have been made and sung in the past couple of years.Any club fans that ONLY sing "easeh" "your not singing" would be ashamed.Ofcourse those witty banners like"if you think this hell, try the Grafton on a friday night" "roman pays for my giro" "joey ate frog......."

Its the combination of all of the above that makes us what we are.Like Rafa when he coached valencia,if we lost to a good team and the other team are dignified, the kop gives a standing ovation.another example was benfica.

That is why Anfield is UNIQUE

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2007, 08:01:51 am »

Ha ha - why's he a c*nt?  Because he's out front and centre making out he's all Mr Liverpool?
He'll be getting meetings with Parry pretending he speaks for all fans before you know it - I'm glad you're onto him BHB.

"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline BHB

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2007, 08:22:40 am »
Ha ha - why's he a c*nt?  Because he's out front and centre making out he's all Mr Liverpool?
He'll be getting meetings with Parry pretending he speaks for all fans before you know it - I'm glad you're onto him BHB.

Anyone that was at Leverkusen away the other year will know why.

Attention seeking beaut and an embarrassment.

Couldn't be further from what the lads behind RTK are about, anyone know what any of us look like? didn't think so? In the shadows ;)
A Son of Shankly

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 08:26:22 am »
Couldn't be further from what the lads behind RTK are about, anyone know what any of us look like? didn't think so? In the shadows ;)

By all accounts, fuck all know what you sound like either.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline BHB

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 08:27:51 am »
Which means?
A Son of Shankly