Author Topic: Favourite place(s) in the UK/Ireland?  (Read 6936 times)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Favourite place(s) in the UK/Ireland?
« on: June 27, 2007, 09:07:49 am »
Places you've lived/ visited/ loved. Which ones do you keep going back to?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Re: Favourite place(s) in the UK/Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:18:43 am »
I have always love Mullaghmore, Co Sligo.

Less than an hours drive from me, and somewhere my parents always took me when young. On a nice weekend will still always have a day there.

The town (unlike Bundoran, 5 miles away) has managed to escape turning into "las vegas in the hills of donegal" and is beautifully unspoilt.

Great fish restaurants as well.

That whole north west area is superb anyway. Mullaghmore, Bundoran, Rossknowlagh, Murvah, Gweedore.

Some of the best beaches in Europe when the weather is good.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 09:20:55 am by nidgemo 3.11 »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 09:38:43 am »
So many places I miss in Cornwall, I've not been back in years and years.

Sitting on the prom in Penzance with some chips on a cold, windy day when the sea is rough (although, not to rough because you end up with most of it in your lap) and no one else is around. Or just looking at St Michael Mount (or at low tide walking across the granite causeway). Many other places, 3 miles long Hayle beach, St Ives harbour (swimming pissed from St Ives to Hayle is fun ;) ). Lot's of places I can't think of off hand.

Nice place.
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 09:43:48 am »
Interesting that the two answers so far both gravitate towards the sea and beached as their favourite places. Guess that will be the case for a lot.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:53:22 am »
Interesting that the two answers so far both gravitate towards the sea and beached as their favourite places. Guess that will be the case for a lot.

So much nice coastal area around these isles, as much as I don't like the country there are some fantastic parts that we all probably don't appreciate enough.

St Ives on a nice day

The above image is where the arrow starts on this picture, the arrow is where we used to swim after a day in St Ives. In a good day your shorts and t-shirt would be dry by the time you walked home from the beach.

* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:27:14 am »
That's a decent swim. At least 1 mile, I'd guess?

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:31:06 am »
That's a decent swim. At least 1 mile, I'd guess?

well, the long beach is over three miles, so depending on whic bit you swim to it's probably about 1.5-2 miles. Strong currents too. I've only swam it a couple times, when I was young dumb and full of.... beer and pasty.

Silly thing to do really, but when you're 16/17, you don't worry about anything. Good times

The part of that beach I used to go to was by the second orange dot on the right (lowest of the two) where there is rocks (I think it's there, I've never looked from above before) where you can jump off them - they call it the death drop or something. Similarly stupid.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:33:22 am by Ephraim Longworth »

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:37:04 am »
Portmeirion.

no coward soul is mine

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 10:40:49 am »

Offline rosie

• WSAS Founder Member
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss not base football player
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 10:56:50 am »
I am not a number. :)
no coward soul is mine

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 11:51:44 am »
Oh far too many to fill the thread with photos (but I will if you like!).

The whole North and West coast of Ireland - Galway Bay, Connemara, Donegal in particular. Wonderful sunsets, hilarious people, great music and excellent beer.
North East England - Newcastle, Durham, Alnwick, the Northumberland coast, Tynemouth, Seaton Sluice. The uni years, and weekends away.
Outer Hebrides - Islay, Jura in particular. Mull, Iona, Kintyre.... February half-terms when I was a kid - knee-deep snow, Kinder Eggs and roaring peat fires. Not forgetting the many, many whisky distilleries, which I loved even though I still hate whisky.
Cornwall - the Lizard, Hale, Kynance Cove... Just utterly beautiful; went for a week when I was younger and have been dying to go back ever since.
Norfolk - the whole North coast from Snettisham to Cromer, and the Broads, in particular. Family holidays from when I was slightly older and we got fed up of freezing on Islay every February! The beach at Titchwell (great name for starters) and the market towns further inland. And some of the many other brilliant place names, from Diss to Burnham Overy Staithe.

Can you tell I didn't go abroad until I was about 12 or 13? ;D

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:57:40 am »
The Gower coast - Rhossili.  Possibly the most beautiful bay in the world.

The other end of the beach - the Worm's Head, which inspired Dylan Thomas, amongst others.

Another place is Oxford

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 12:01:51 pm »
I love going here with the kids for a swim. and it never gets too crowded ( until now )

Pistyll Rhaeadr

At 240 ft (74 metres) tall, it's the highest waterfall in Wales & England. It is found in a remote location in Powys, near Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant although it doesn't take that long from Liverpool - about an hour and half. And there are some nice pubs to warm up in on the way home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28WW1JfEp8w&NR=1

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 12:17:09 pm »
Killybegs in Donegal and a blue flag beach near by called Fintra

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 12:50:17 pm »
Killybegs in Donegal and a blue flag beach near by called Fintra

Surprisingly, I've never been there.

Donegal / Sligo really is stunning for beaches though. Huge uncrowded beaches, clean as anything, clear water, even good surfing.

The pictures Raul posted above look EXACTLY like Rossknowlagh, don't they harry?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:55:14 pm by nidgemo 3.11 »

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 12:53:24 pm »
I love going here with the kids for a swim. and it never gets too crowded ( until now )

Pistyll Rhaeadr

At 240 ft (74 metres) tall, it's the highest waterfall in Wales & England. It is found in a remote location in Powys, near Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant although it doesn't take that long from Liverpool - about an hour and half. And there are some nice pubs to warm up in on the way home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28WW1JfEp8w&NR=1

It beautiful there. Great campsite complete with friendly goat, and one of the few that allows fires.

After a swim, a nice brisk walk to the Lake of cheese (with the wise fish). Fab.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 01:13:20 pm »
So many places I miss in Cornwall, I've not been back in years and years.

Sitting on the prom in Penzance with some chips on a cold, windy day when the sea is rough (although, not to rough because you end up with most of it in your lap) and no one else is around. Or just looking at St Michael Mount (or at low tide walking across the granite causeway). Many other places, 3 miles long Hayle beach, St Ives harbour (swimming pissed from St Ives to Hayle is fun ;) ). Lot's of places I can't think of off hand.

Nice place.
I had my first proper holiday in Hayle when I was 14. Went back there when I was 16 and would love to go back there one day.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 01:38:53 pm »
Love Snowdonia in Wales and Donghadee/Millisle in Northern Ireland.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 02:45:24 pm »
The Glens of Antrim up in the northeast of Northern Ireland. I got married over there last year - the scenery is amazing and it's full of great little towns. I'll be spending a lot of Christmas and summer holidays there in the future and looking forward to it.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 03:07:37 pm »
The Glens of Antrim up in the northeast of Northern Ireland. I got married over there last year - the scenery is amazing and it's full of great little towns. I'll be spending a lot of Christmas and summer holidays there in the future and looking forward to it.

Get yourself further along the north coast next time - Bushmills, Causeway Coast, Portrush etc is the most stunning coastline in a country of stunning coastline.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:01 pm »
Get yourself further along the north coast next time - Bushmills, Causeway Coast, Portrush etc is the most stunning coastline in a country of stunning coastline.

Yeah it's amazing up there. I was lucky enough to play golf at Portrush in October. Wet and windy, lost about 12 balls and absolutely loved it! Is it Carrick a Reade rope bridge? That's nice as well.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 04:29:22 pm »
Yeah it's amazing up there. I was lucky enough to play golf at Portrush in October. Wet and windy, lost about 12 balls and absolutely loved it! Is it Carrick a Reade rope bridge? That's nice as well.

Yeah. Right fucking trek to get to it though :D They've made it a lot safer in recent years, it used to be very hairy...

it's now like this

but used to be much more fun when it was like this

Is fantastic, though.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:33:11 pm by nidgemo 3.11 »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 04:34:39 pm »
Anywhere in Cornwall, beautiful place.

Offline America's Sweetheart

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 04:43:35 pm »
I lived in Sherborne, Dorset, for several years and I love going back there. The whole surrounding area is marvellous.

Elsewhere?

-- The Kyle of Lochalsh
-- Dartmeet
-- Ambridge

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I never tire of That London, just so long as I know I don't have to stay too long.

PS - Almost forgot! Looe, Polperro, and Talland Bay. First holidays I can remember. Still love them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:46:50 pm by America's Sweetheart »

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 04:46:55 pm »
I lived in Sherborne, Dorset

My brother lives there now ;D

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 04:47:09 pm »

Full of Yanks round there. Terrible place. Especially Bushmills and Port Rush. Come over and think they own the place, no respect for the locals and their traditions and values.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 04:48:23 pm »
I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I never tire of That London, just so long as I know I don't have to stay too long.

I'm even more embarrassed to admit that my favourite place in London is Brompton Cemetery, which is really gorgeous, even if it is technically in Chelsea.

• I love you all dearly. Artichoke Festival Queen; the poster formerly known as Low.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2007, 04:48:42 pm »
Full of Yanks round there. Terrible place. Especially Bushmills and Port Rush. Come over and think they own the place, no respect for the locals and their traditions and values.

Ah, but they're genyoowine Oirish, y'see.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 04:54:11 pm »
Ah, but they're genyoowine Oirish, y'see.

I think Phil might have been making a different inference from that - perhaps try reading between the lines of what the guy who lives in liverpool said to the irish fella... ;)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 04:57:31 pm »

PS - Almost forgot! Looe, Polperro, and Talland Bay. First holidays I can remember. Still love them.

What's Polperro like? I'm going there this summer and have never been to Cornwall before

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 05:00:05 pm »
I think Phil might have been making a different inference from that - perhaps try reading between the lines of what the guy who lives in liverpool said to the irish fella... ;)

Sorry, my deep and unremitting hatred of plastic Irish Americans does not allow me to notice the OOT debate in any way, shape, manner, or form.

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 05:00:07 pm »
What's Polperro like? I'm going there this summer and have never been to Cornwall before

Yeah, it's nice. Not your typical Cornwall but nice none the less. Like most places in Cornwall, you're not far from where you want to go.

• Legacy Fan
  • Boypants.

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 05:03:57 pm »

I was simply making an observation on the Americans present based on the couple of occasions I've visited both places. Some of the locals there were very unhappy at the number of ignorant tourists. If you choose to read that as an inference to anything else then I guess you could be described as a little paranoid. That said, it is a very nice place. Oh and to the fella who lost 12 balls at Port Rush, I think I lost over 20 first time I played there.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 05:06:02 pm »
Anfield
Kill the humourless

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 05:08:28 pm »
Sorry, my deep and unremitting hatred of plastic Irish Americans does not allow me to notice the OOT debate in any way, shape, manner, or form.
I was simply making an observation on the Americans present based on the couple of occasions I've visited both places. Some of the locals there were very unhappy at the number of ignorant tourists.

You should both visit Killarney sometime. Beautiful place, heart stopping scenery but the Polyester Paddies will bore into your brain.

As my brother remarked at the time, the problem with American tourists is that they never think anything they don't say.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 05:15:11 pm »
I was simply making an observation on the Americans present based on the couple of occasions I've visited both places. Some of the locals there were very unhappy at the number of ignorant tourists. If you choose to read that as an inference to anything else then I guess you could be described as a little paranoid. That said, it is a very nice place. Oh and to the fella who lost 12 balls at Port Rush, I think I lost over 20 first time I played there.

Fair enough - never noticed it too badly myself, but I tend to stay in Portstewart rather than portrush when up there, and avoid the high season.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 05:16:35 pm »
Mizen Head, West Cork.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 05:19:56 pm »
Oh and to the fella who lost 12 balls at Port Rush, I think I lost over 20 first time I played there.

Yeah but we walked in after 9 holes!

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 05:22:12 pm »
Rosscarbery West Cork and Achill Island Mayo.

My two favourite places.