Author Topic: “Socrates was innocent”  (Read 10711 times)

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
“Socrates was innocent”
« on: May 21, 2007, 02:16:15 pm »
On this day in 399 BC the philosopher Socrates stood before a jury of 500 of his fellow Athenians accused of "refusing to recognize the gods recognized by the state."

If found guilty his penalty could be death.

The trial took place in the heart of the city, the jurors seated on wooden benches surrounded by a crowd of spectators. Socrates' accusers (three Athenian citizens) were allotted three hours to present their case, after which, the philosopher would have three hours to defend himself.

Socrates was 70 years old and familiar to most Athenians. His anti-democratic views had turned many in the city against him. Two of his students, Alcibiades and Critias, had twice briefly overthrown the democratic government of the city, instituting a reign of terror in which thousands of citizens were deprived of their property and either banished from the city or executed.

Socrates opened his defence by pointing out that the Gods currently worshipped and recognised by the state were mere passing fads and more lasting Gods were yet to be born.  He drew attention to the emergence of Rome (a port like Athens) and predicted that they would build a great empire that would last for centuries.

He pointed out “that they too would have their own Gods, is the state to recognise them also?”

He continued in his defence that even Rome would one day question or refuse to recognize the Gods that they themselves would hold in great esteem. He concluded his defence by predicting the rise of a future empire from another City, also a port like Rome and Athens.

That City would conquer the whole of Europe and Gods like Liddell, Shankly, Paisley, King Kenny and Robertus Fowlus would replace all former Gods created by Rome and Athens. He also predicted that a new Messiah would be born in a European State and that he would dwell and do all his good works in the Port of Liverpudlium.

Statues of this new Messiah would be built and worshipped in both the country of his birth and the New Scouse Empire. In his closing argument he stated  “These would be the Gods that would be worshipped forever”

After hearing the arguments of both Socrates and his accusers, the jury was asked to vote on his guilt. Under Athenian law the jurors did not deliberate the point. Instead, each juror registered his judgment by placing a small disk into an urn marked either "guilty" or "not guilty." Socrates was found guilty by a vote of 280 to 220.

The jurors were next asked to determine Socrates' penalty. His accusers argued for the death penalty. Socrates was given the opportunity to suggest his own punishment and could probably have avoided death by recommending exile. Instead, the philosopher initially offered the sarcastic recommendation that he be rewarded for his actions. When pressed for a realistic punishment, he proposed that he be fined a modest sum of money. Faced with the two choices, the jury selected death for Socrates.

The philosopher was taken to the nearby jail where his sentence would be carried out. Athenian law prescribed death by drinking a cup of poison - hemlock. Socrates would be his own executioner.

So remember when your over in Athens, wherever you go, proclaim to all:

“Socrates was innocent”!!

Postscript
As for the Elgin Marbles debate. Can I just point out that it’s only a game of ollies.

“You lose your marbles and the winner takes them home.”
Schoolyard rule Book (1962)

© Wooltonian 2007

« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 08:27:40 pm by Rushian »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Joe_Singh

• Legacy Fan
  • My idea is always to win trophies, not just games
    • Joe Singh
Re: “Socrates was innocent”
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 02:31:36 pm »
Wonderfully Written.

Brilliant.
What I love about this, and several other of Kenny's press conferences, is that he manages to say something to the effect of  'Shut the fuck up, you fucking helmets and don't fuck with me or my football club or I'll make you eat your own balls', without actually using th

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 02:34:38 pm »
Fantastic read Wooltonian, glad to read more from you.

The butterflies are kicking in.
JFT97

Offline eLVIScOSTELLO

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:34:50 pm »
"...Under Athenian law the jurors did not deliberate the point. Instead, each juror registered his judgment by placing a small disk into an urn....."

........And so the Liverpool FC method of choosing Champions League Final Ticket recipients was born........

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 02:36:13 pm »
He was a pretty decent player, too.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 03:55:31 pm »
Robertus Fowlus

:wellin :wellin
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 03:56:53 pm »
He was a pretty decent player, too.

That's right - he scored that great goal in Monty Python - wonderful strike that was
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 04:01:35 pm »
Brilliant article mate. As always!

But may I point out that it's 'gods' not 'Gods' please :)

And the Athenian 'democracy' really was fucked up. Only full Athenian men over 30 had the right to vote. Just like only the suits have the right to a ticket to Athens!
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 04:16:25 pm »
Guilty as sin. Hang the bastard!
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline VintageRed74

• or perhaps Vladimir or even Estragon. Best fiends with Maggie..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 04:16:58 pm »
Socrates the Great Philosopher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

"Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test". "Triple filter?" "That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say.

The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?" "No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and ..." "All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not.

Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?" "No, on the contrary ..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?" "No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

This is why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem. It also explains why he never found out his best friend was screwing his wife.

:lickin
I never normally forget a face, but in your case I'm willing to make an exception.

Offline Lard

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 04:31:09 pm »

Offline eLVIScOSTELLO

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 04:34:33 pm »

/\/\/\

...and Eagle Eye Cherry has WHAT to do with this thread exactly...?

Offline Red Scorpion

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 04:37:22 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem. One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Socrates, do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

"Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test". "Triple filter?" "That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say.

The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?" "No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and ..." "All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not.

Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?" "No, on the contrary ..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?" "No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

This is why Socrates was a great philosopher and held in such high esteem. It also explains why he never found out his best friend was screwing his wife.

;D :lmao :wellin

Offline GarryLFC

• Anny Roader
  • He came from Sunny Spain, to make us great again..
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 05:38:30 pm »
Brilliant
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mascherano......

Offline KopJemma83

• Anny Roader
  • Along The Fields Of Anfield Road...
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 06:56:50 pm »

Ha,ha,ha
 :wellin :wellin :wellin
At a football club, there’s a holy trinity, the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques - Bill Shankly

Offline AntonisCyprus

• Legacy Fan
  • Cyprus Branch
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »
A little more respect to Socrates and especially Greek History would be warranted with a visist to Greece ;)
The Cyprus BRANCH RED Fans

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 07:11:42 pm »
Great read, a worthy sequel to Lets Get AGRIPPA Them !

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 07:00:43 am »
Brilliant article mate. As always!

But may I point out that it's 'gods' not 'Gods' please :)

blame the editor mate, I leave such matters to him  ;D

Kogsy74
Brilliant mate  ;D
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline The dude abides

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 01:18:27 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

top class!!

Offline stejay

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 04:17:42 pm »
I thought you meant 'the doctor'

Offline jo3lfc

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 09:07:03 pm »