Author Topic: John Arne Riise...  (Read 43421 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: John Arne Riise...
« Reply #800 on: August 14, 2007, 03:06:02 am »
I see your point but how you can argue he is a better header or more dominant
in the air than Agger or Carragher is beyond me. Anyways it's getting late I'll leave
it on that and let someone else take up the argument discussion.  :wave
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline NasEscobar

• Shirt fetishist
  • Legacy Fan
  • See you at the Barricades babe.
« Reply #801 on: August 14, 2007, 08:05:16 am »
Bill Shankly :
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple."

I'm not convinced Riise can do any of the above to the required standard for us.
Check me out y'all, Nasty Nas in your area, About to cause mass Hysteria.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #802 on: August 14, 2007, 08:24:06 am »
Riise offers more to the defence than Finnan does, with Hyypia out he is our best defensive header of the ball.

He is our best defensive header of the ball, he doesn't offer more to the defence than Finnan does. He also doesn't offer more going forward in any real sense given his poor technical ability. Smacking one in from 30 yards every so often masks that a lot of the time.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Redrider

• Departed for a forum with better manners
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: August 14, 2007, 08:55:54 am »
Sadly, time for Riise to move on !

Although, he could be happy to remain as the left side utility player, who is called upon for cameo roles and cover for injury!!

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #804 on: August 14, 2007, 09:27:28 am »
Disagree. He won most of the headers against Gardner. Riise is very good in the air for a full back, certainly better than his other three partners in their position.

Better than Carra??? Carra is almost as good as Sami in the air, and Agger certainly is no mug.
Watch your back.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #805 on: August 14, 2007, 09:28:30 am »
It is NOT time for Riise to move on.  Just not to play on the wing.

It is like playing a lorry at left wing.

Offline PaislyShankley

• Stranger in a strange land; vaguely Amish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Homophobic, apparently. Probably racist as well.
« Reply #806 on: August 14, 2007, 09:29:21 am »
There's more chance of a lorry going past someone. ;)
M'eh

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #807 on: August 14, 2007, 09:29:40 am »
Better than Carra??? Carra is almost as good as Sami in the air, and Agger certainly is no mug.
I think that the weakest part of Agger's game is his heading.

Riise is great in the air for a full back.  One of his strengths.

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: August 14, 2007, 10:24:30 am »
No Saturday was one of Crouch better games to be honest.
I take that as a joke?  ::) Riise plays sides onside too much of the time. great going forward, but lacks a bit at the back. wouldn't sell as no obvouis replacement, which is a main reason as to why he's still here

notice how often we play Arbeloa at LB when we need to be careful of a tricky winger etc, or away from home?
SoS #364

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #809 on: August 14, 2007, 10:40:56 am »
I can't believe how far this thread has been allowed to descend, it makes the Owen ones look classy.

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #810 on: August 14, 2007, 10:46:06 am »
I take that as a joke?  ::) Riise plays sides onside too much of the time. great going forward, but lacks a bit at the back. wouldn't sell as no obvouis replacement, which is a main reason as to why he's still here

notice how often we play Arbeloa at LB when we need to be careful of a tricky winger etc, or away from home?

Riise does not play teams onside often at all, his understanding with the rest of the back four is superb.

For your Arbeloa point you might want to switch the attention to the fact Riise often play in midfield against tricky opponents to double the cover on the left and because if a team is good enough for us to take such steps Riise`s good off the ball movement will usually set him up with a few good scoring chances something thats vital in such tight affairs.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline PaislyShankley

• Stranger in a strange land; vaguely Amish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Homophobic, apparently. Probably racist as well.
« Reply #811 on: August 14, 2007, 10:54:46 am »
Or Aurelio is inavailable.
M'eh

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #812 on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:52 am »
Riise does not play teams onside often at all, his understanding with the rest of the back four is superb.

For your Arbeloa point you might want to switch the attention to the fact Riise often play in midfield against tricky opponents to double the cover on the left and because if a team is good enough for us to take such steps Riise`s good off the ball movement will usually set him up with a few good scoring chances something thats vital in such tight affairs.

He does play teams onside actually. The most recent occasion being  against Feyenoord. He was a good three or four yards behind the rest of the back four for their goal.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #813 on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:04 am »
He does play teams onside actually. The most recent occasion being  against Feyenoord. He was a good three or four yards behind the rest of the back four for their goal.

What about before that?

Riise is a good header of the ball... but no way is he better at defending than Finnan because of it. Thinking about the likes of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka etc going at Riise gives me the shits as much as if I were thinking about them going at Hyypia... but at Finnan? No problems. He handled those fuckers last season without a problem... yet I seem to remember Riise getting raped at the end of the Milan match after Masch went off.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #814 on: August 14, 2007, 11:56:16 am »
I think our first choice back 4 (which includes Riise) is very good at getting offsides right.

It was noticeable the few games that Warnock played and Traore to a lesser extent how much they failed to come out in aline compared to the others. This is definitely not a weakness of Riise.

I think he's a pretty good full back. Not brilliant but there are not many in the League I'd swap him for when you look at the whole package. He's very good in the air, reliable and pretty calm. He's played in lots of big games and NEVER let us down.

Can produce the odd special goal and is rarely injured and able to do a half decent job in midfield if required.

Every player that you prefer ahead of him will be weaker in some discipline than he is.

Offline I wandered lonely.

• Main Stander
« Reply #815 on: October 12, 2007, 06:32:06 am »
theres been a few reports lately linking john to villa. any truth to them i wonder. personally, i wouldn't lose any sleep if he left, if only because we'd be saved the torture of seeing him play at lm.

Offline andrew1978

• Kopite
  • The Truth we all knew now known by all. RIP 96
« Reply #816 on: October 12, 2007, 10:03:14 am »
i hope he doesn't leave. he may not be at his best at the mo but he is a quality player who has a passion to play for this club.
It would be a huge loss to the squad if he was allowed to leave.
Where once we watched King Kenny Play.....And Could He Play

Offline MFletcher

• Legacy Fan
  • Rafa, Rafael; Rafael Benitez
« Reply #817 on: October 12, 2007, 10:08:35 am »
i hope he doesn't leave. he may not be at his best at the mo but he is a quality player who has a passion to play for this club.

No it wouldn't.
They don't care about Rafa,
They don't care about the fans,
Liverpool Football Club is in the wrong hands.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #818 on: October 12, 2007, 10:19:05 am »
Don't want him to leave.

Don't want him playing left wing.

Offline otitito

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: October 12, 2007, 10:55:14 am »
Agreed entirely

Offline D🐶G

• Sworn enemy of C🙀T
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #820 on: October 12, 2007, 11:04:53 am »
Would it fuck. He's 'not been at his best' for the past two seasons and a bit. Get rid of the over-rated one dimensional bugger.
Twitter - @ElmDag - 19 League Titles • 8 FA Cups • 9 Football League Cups • 16 FA Charity Shields • 6 UEFA European Cups • 3 UEFA Cups • 4 UEFA European Super Cups • 1 FIFA Club World Cup

Offline tax_man

• Kopite
« Reply #821 on: October 12, 2007, 11:20:49 am »
I like Risse a lot, it's hard not to like him. But at the moment he's just an average left back and a poor left winger. He frustrates with his constant long range shooting, which seems to have gotten worse.

Having said that, if Risse doesn't mind playing second fiddle to Arbeloa I'd be happy to keep him. As long as he doesn't play left wing (which if course isn't up to him)

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #822 on: October 12, 2007, 03:17:37 pm »
Riise has been a good servant to the Club and although he does lack defensively, I don't think we're in a good enough position down the left side to think of selling one of our best options down the left at the moment.
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline labyrinth

• Legacy Fan
  • "What does not kill us, makes us stronger."
« Reply #823 on: October 12, 2007, 05:06:15 pm »
He is an average player who has passion and never give up. His passes are bad, understanding of the game little above average, percent of long ranges shoots are criminal. When he play winger slow down other players and, in situations when he must pass to free player he thinks too much and ruins chances. He is tough and disciplined player but, in modern game its far from enough. We have Arbeloa and Aurelio and they suite the position well. When we want to drag lines closer opponents box we should use Aurelio, when we want deeper defend Arbeloa is ok.  But problem is left winger, Babel still has to learn and he will earn some minutes but not main role, Kewell is unpredictable in medical terms. So, if we can buy left winger in January we should sell Riise.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:07:48 pm by lavirint011 »
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #824 on: October 12, 2007, 06:46:42 pm »
I think his time in this squad is coming to an end. The writing has been on the wall for some time as his performances have lacked a consistent level of quality over the past two seasons. We have outgrown Riise and he hasn't been able to raise his game in conjuction with our rising standards.

Offline The Cappuccino Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #825 on: October 13, 2007, 03:10:33 am »
He's only had two good seasons for us, and the cynical side of me says he only pulls out the stops for a new manager or for a new contract.

It really saddens me how a player of such limited ability can play 300 odd games for this football club. I'd really like somebody to give me a few of his attributes because apart from having a good shot, he's got fuck all else. He used to have great athleticism, but in the last few years his pace has been on the wane for some reason.

He's a fucking waste of a red jersey and the thing is, he's a saleable asset as some actually rate him, due to the odd wonder goal on MOTD. If we were offered a decent price for him, I'd drive him to his next club as Arbeloa and Aurelio have the left-back slot sorted.

Apologies for being brutal, but I can't abide players showing a lack of effort, and for the last few years, Riise has put very little in at all, in my opinion.
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: October 13, 2007, 05:14:33 am »
With Aurelio, Arbeloa, and Insua available for left back, selling Riise wouldn't be the end of the world. The main problem would be left mid: Kewell is out for who knows when, Leto is still learning, Babel and Benayoun aren't real wingers, Pennant can play there if MBE is put on the right, and whilst Aurelio can do a job there, it'll limit options for left back.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #827 on: October 14, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »
Riise has been a good servant to the Club and although he does lack defensively, I don't think we're in a good enough position down the left side to think of selling one of our best options down the left at the moment.
He is good enough to be on the bench, and to only play LM. His defending is atrocious, and his creativity is limited to 1 wonderstrike a season.

Ask yourself why Arbeloa is playing LB 90% of the time..

Offline andrew1978

• Kopite
  • The Truth we all knew now known by all. RIP 96
« Reply #828 on: October 15, 2007, 10:33:33 am »
Carew encourages Riise to move
October 15 2007
Aston Villa's John Carew has told compatriot John Arne Riise that he should move to the Birmingham club.

The Liverpool star has been a long-standing target of Villa manager Martin O'Neill who is tipped to make a bid for the Norwegian in January.

Carew has now backed his countryman to link-up with him at Villa Park.

"It seems like John Arne wants to go, so I can't see why not?" Carew told Dagbladet.

"There is a possibility.

"He would fit very well in Villa, so that would just be positive."

Where once we watched King Kenny Play.....And Could He Play

Offline Keso

• Main Stander
« Reply #829 on: October 15, 2007, 10:38:05 am »
Well since Carew and Riise work well together I can't see why not either ;)

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #830 on: October 15, 2007, 10:40:07 am »
Carew encourages Riise to move
October 15 2007
Aston Villa's John Carew has told compatriot John Arne Riise that he should move to the Birmingham club.

The Liverpool star has been a long-standing target of Villa manager Martin O'Neill who is tipped to make a bid for the Norwegian in January.

Carew has now backed his countryman to link-up with him at Villa Park.

"It seems like John Arne wants to go, so I can't see why not?" Carew told Dagbladet.

"There is a possibility.

"He would fit very well in Villa, so that would just be positive."

Didn't Carew floor Riise once...??

Best friends all of a sudden are they?
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline Tomo-the-red

• Main Stander
« Reply #831 on: October 15, 2007, 11:26:07 am »
I think be bad move to sell him, scored some great and important goals for us. Anyone know why he says "It seems like john arne wants to go" ? has Risse come out and said somthing that i missed ?
Bill Shankly about the This-is-Anfield plaque:
'This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against.'

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: October 15, 2007, 11:27:47 am »
I think be bad move to sell him, scored some great and important goals for us. Anyone know why he says "It seems like john arne wants to go" ? has Risse come out and said somthing that i missed ?

No, and neither has Riise.

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #833 on: October 15, 2007, 11:30:22 am »
He's only had two good seasons for us, and the cynical side of me says he only pulls out the stops for a new manager or for a new contract.

It really saddens me how a player of such limited ability can play 300 odd games for this football club. I'd really like somebody to give me a few of his attributes because apart from having a good shot, he's got fuck all else. He used to have great athleticism, but in the last few years his pace has been on the wane for some reason.

He's a fucking waste of a red jersey and the thing is, he's a saleable asset as some actually rate him, due to the odd wonder goal on MOTD. If we were offered a decent price for him, I'd drive him to his next club as Arbeloa and Aurelio have the left-back slot sorted.

Apologies for being brutal, but I can't abide players showing a lack of effort, and for the last few years, Riise has put very little in at all, in my opinion.

I agree with all of that.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

:wave

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #834 on: October 15, 2007, 11:32:23 am »
JAR is a decent left sided player and has been for us. During Rafas rebuilding he was a decent option and is good enough to hold a first team place in most teams. He is more than likely good enough to play every week for Villa, he however probably isn't good enough for  a regular slot in a side challenging for the title? [Although argubly Traore isn't good enough for a CL winners medal either......]

--EDIT--
If we assume now though that Riise now a squad player, do we really want rid? We'd have to replace him surely and then there's the problems of finding someone to fit in. Getting them used to zonal and other things he is well acquainted with. We'd also need to find a player at least as good as him, but no so good they'd be expecting first team play?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 11:35:18 am by PaulF »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline labyrinth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: October 15, 2007, 11:37:58 am »

Riises performances scream: I'm John, sell me.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: October 15, 2007, 11:41:55 am »
Didn't Carew floor Riise once...??

Best friends all of a sudden are they?

Carew decked Riise on the team coach prior to a international. Carew got most of the blame, but Riise was a twat prior to that and pushing him to hit.

After a couple of weeks/months, they were in again and best pals.

They are a good fit in terms of self-belief and intellectual capability

It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline BHB

• I'm the (new) Daddy, and a little bit hormonal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS
« Reply #837 on: October 15, 2007, 11:44:47 am »
Close the door on your way out John
A Son of Shankly

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #838 on: October 15, 2007, 11:47:32 am »
Close the door on your way out John

Yeah John youve done nothing for us, fuck off

::)

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline labyrinth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: October 15, 2007, 11:58:13 am »
Riise is a great player.

Was a great player.

Or are you saying you know better than Benitez?

Of course not. But legendary status don't improve his recent games. LFC doesn't want to live only for past. And if we want future we might sell players who didn't play well for a while. My intension is not to insult Riise but debate of his ability and way how he can improve our game. Debate is not taboo, particularly on sites which encourage discussions. Rigidness not help. Or?