Author Topic: New Stadium Features  (Read 34194 times)

Offline Ned Kelly

• Simple, really.
  • Kopite
Re: New Stadium Features
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2007, 09:45:25 pm »
Your concerns are unfounded, it's just very cleverly designed.

It's "really" grown on me

Mr C. by 'very cleverly designed' do you mean the Kop kind of wraps around the corner flags thus not looking too big?

Cheers for the info. Much appreciated.

Ned.
Would you rather win the lottery or Joe Royles head full of Fifty pence pieces ?

Offline MightyLFC

• Main Stander
« Reply #121 on: June 19, 2007, 12:35:11 am »
Your concerns are unfounded, it's just very cleverly designed.

It's "really" grown on me

I suppose with any future expansion, anyway, it wouldn't look so out of proportion as they can only add on to the other stands.

Offline kopman81

• Boys Pen
« Reply #122 on: June 19, 2007, 02:24:11 am »
Can we expect something similar to this.(Roof and single tier kop at one end taken for granted).

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: June 19, 2007, 08:09:06 am »
So many people (on this and other forums) are claiming to have seen the designs yet wont say how. Im willing to bet someone has it in e-format so just why wont someone leak it?

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2007, 08:27:47 am »

So many people (on this and other forums) are claiming to have seen the designs yet wont say how. Im willing to bet someone has it in e-format so just why wont someone leak it?

I don't think any of them has actually seen the new design ...

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2007, 08:35:32 am »
I don't think any of them has actually seen the new design ...

Why would they lie?

Of course it's plausible for many liverpool fans who work in the contruction industry, to tendours for second fittings, Architects etc to see the plans, then there's people who have friends in very high places.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2007, 12:27:44 pm »

Probably because if they were caught they'd never be trusted again. Most architects and consultants have strict confidentiality clauses in their contracts of employment and non-disclosure clauses in their appointment documents with clients etc.  If anyone in our office leaked a drawing without approval they would be out on their arses and would struggle to get a job with a  decent practice afterwards. We would also probably lose the client.

Talking about it and spreading a few rumours about what you've seen is one thing. Publishing unapproved images is another.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline corbyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2007, 12:50:59 pm »
what about e-mailing some pics anonymously to someone who doesn't have any connections with architects, council, lfc, etc.
Is it then ok for them to post such images (before being taken down by the mods obviously) ;)

Offline Live4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2007, 01:34:03 pm »
Why would they lie?

Of course it's plausible for many liverpool fans who work in the contruction industry, to tendours for second fittings, Architects etc to see the plans, then there's people who have friends in very high places.

Don Corleone's Friend: "trust me lads the new stadium is gonna blow yer socks off"
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams.

Offline harrytrow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2007, 01:41:48 pm »
I wear tights
How come pointed questions recieve blunt answers

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2007, 09:14:35 pm »
I was shown a picture a week or so back. On it the Kop was separate from the other three sides with a "bunker's paradise" gap out into Stanley Park which makes me think it was an earlier concept drawing and not the finished version.

The Kop itself was huge and steep, and looked like a mix between the Sud Tribune at Dortmund and one of the side stands at Marseille - going back for ever and was semi circular at the top. The wings of the Kop wrapped around slightly.

The two side stands looked like they might have a small paddock at the front (the bunker seats?) then three tiers above that - a bit like largest side stand at the San Siro?

The end opposite the Kop was two tier and reminded me of the smaller end at Porto's Dragao Stadium.

The roof was supported on scaffolding towers reminiscent of either the vertical stems of construction cranes or lighting rigs at stadium gigs. In shape from above the roof appeared to be two halves of a beetle shell - flat and slightly broader at the Kop end than the narrower opposite end. It also appears to initially rise up from the Kop and then slope down to the other end, before floating above the "Anny Road" like the roof at Porto's stadium.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline ¡Basta Ya!

• Big Mac Whopper. Proud owner of "mods-are-cunts" account. Strangely no longer with us.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2007, 10:05:35 pm »
Sounds tasty, that's for sure.

The Kop, from every person I've heard from/posted a description, sounds 'the nuts', Esspecially if it is a mix between Sud Tribune and Tribune Ganay
* WARNING - The above post may contain sarcasm. Maybe some irony, if you're lucky.

AS ALWAYS, WE ARE FOCUSED ON SUPPORTING OUR MANAGER

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2007, 10:30:03 pm »
I was shown a picture a week or so back. On it the Kop was separate from the other three sides with a "bunker's paradise" gap out into Stanley Park which makes me think it was an earlier concept drawing and not the finished version.

The Kop itself was huge and steep, and looked like a mix between the Sud Tribune at Dortmund and one of the side stands at Marseille - going back for ever and was semi circular at the top. The wings of the Kop wrapped around slightly.

The two side stands looked like they might have a small paddock at the front (the bunker seats?) then three tiers above that - a bit like largest side stand at the San Siro?

The end opposite the Kop was two tier and reminded me of the smaller end at Porto's Dragao Stadium.

The roof was supported on scaffolding towers reminiscent of either the vertical stems of construction cranes or lighting rigs at stadium gigs. In shape from above the roof appeared to be two halves of a beetle shell - flat and slightly broader at the Kop end than the narrower opposite end. It also appears to initially rise up from the Kop and then slope down to the other end, before floating above the "Anny Road" like the roof at Porto's stadium.

Cue people having 10 browser windows open with google images on a different search in each :D

Offline Liver Bird

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2007, 10:30:35 pm »
quick someone do a mock up based on that description

another question...is it that type of roof where it leaves a gap from the top of the tier as its supposed to sort of rest on it?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:40:50 pm by Liver Bird »
"The fans are the greatest in the land.They know the game and they know what they want to see.The people on the kop make you feel great- yet humble" bill shankly.

Offline SonOfPiechnik

• Anny Roader
  • Yerrrsss!
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2007, 11:04:24 pm »
quick someone do a mock up based on that description

another question...is it that type of roof where it leaves a gap from the top of the tier as its supposed to sort of rest on it?

Does anyone have an account on "skyscrapercity.com" to post this new informaton in the hope someone might put them to good use? Or is anyone on here whizz on google sketchup, maybe try and have a go themselves?

Offline mojo7

• Boys Pen
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2007, 11:09:17 pm »

Just to add to Rushian description above, I've now had the chance to see the 3d massing of the stadium for myself. I can appreciate the comments of previous posters in saying it is difficult to describe but hey what the hell I will give it a go...oh and I agree, it looks absolutely nothing like the ‘toilet’ in the earlier images…in fact the opposite could be said in that it’s entirely asymmetric…I’m struggling to find a parallel line in the roof structure.

Even though the terracing is relatively conventional in the sense that there are four fairly square sides at pitch level, the height is greatest at the kop end reducing down to the opposite Priory Road end but not massively so that it looks odd. I would compare the outer façade as a toned down version of a Frank Gehry Building..not quite as mad but approaching his signature style…I’ve only seen the massing model which would arguably enhance this impression... not sure of the materials but an educated guess would suggest it will be varied in colour, weight and texture…each stand being quite different from the other and each fragmented in their own right. The Kop has echoes of the new Valencia stadium to the rear. Whether intentional or not it seems to reflect the way British grounds have been built in the past, i.e. where stadiums would grow and modernise by developing one side at a time, reflecting the era they were built and creating a rather adhoc arrangement of styles. If this was the source of inspiration I think it has been very bold and clever. If not, then well it’s just my interpretation of it and I think it fits the concept very well.

I really hope they’ve been keeping the locally planners aware of their ideas. This appears to be a very avant-garde design and will be tourist attraction in its own right - although I can also understand many not appreciating it - you could almost run parallels with the Scottish Houses of Parliament in terms of the adulation and controversy that it sparked. Potential RIBA award?..hmmm, will wait and see, but most definitely stands a better chance than the previous effort…apologies to AFL as I know you were on a budget!

Cost…well I wouldn’t want to guess really…especially with the vast volume of accommodation being shown beneath the terracing and the apparent lack of standardisation/repetition of construction.

Anyway I will leave it at that…hope it gives people a better feel for what’s coming their way…sorry if it’s added to the confusion. I’m really looking forward to the official release of the scheme…not only to see the design in all its glory but also to see the reaction of everyone.

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2007, 11:29:30 pm »
Thanks for that mojo :wave What's your opinion of it from a fan point of view? Do you like it?

Offline Pit Bryan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2007, 11:33:25 pm »

I don't understand that lingo.

draw what youre talking about and scan it in.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2007, 11:34:44 pm »
Just to add to Rushian description above, I've now had the chance to see the 3d massing of the stadium for myself. I can appreciate the comments of previous posters in saying it is difficult to describe but hey what the hell I will give it a go...oh and I agree, it looks absolutely nothing like the ‘toilet’ in the earlier images…in fact the opposite could be said in that it’s entirely asymmetric…I’m struggling to find a parallel line in the roof structure.

Even though the terracing is relatively conventional in the sense that there are four fairly square sides at pitch level, the height is greatest at the kop end reducing down to the opposite Priory Road end but not massively so that it looks odd. I would compare the outer façade as a toned down version of a Frank Gehry Building..not quite as mad but approaching his signature style…I’ve only seen the massing model which would arguably enhance this impression... not sure of the materials but an educated guess would suggest it will be varied in colour, weight and texture…each stand being quite different from the other and each fragmented in their own right. The Kop has echoes of the new Valencia stadium to the rear. Whether intentional or not it seems to reflect the way British grounds have been built in the past, i.e. where stadiums would grow and modernise by developing one side at a time, reflecting the era they were built and creating a rather adhoc arrangement of styles. If this was the source of inspiration I think it has been very bold and clever. If not, then well it’s just my interpretation of it and I think it fits the concept very well.

I really hope they’ve been keeping the locally planners aware of their ideas. This appears to be a very avant-garde design and will be tourist attraction in its own right - although I can also understand many not appreciating it - you could almost run parallels with the Scottish Houses of Parliament in terms of the adulation and controversy that it sparked. Potential RIBA award?..hmmm, will wait and see, but most definitely stands a better chance than the previous effort…apologies to AFL as I know you were on a budget!

Cost…well I wouldn’t want to guess really…especially with the vast volume of accommodation being shown beneath the terracing and the apparent lack of standardisation/repetition of construction.

Anyway I will leave it at that…hope it gives people a better feel for what’s coming their way…sorry if it’s added to the confusion. I’m really looking forward to the official release of the scheme…not only to see the design in all its glory but also to see the reaction of everyone.

So nothing like this then ;D

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2007, 11:35:36 pm »
I don't understand that lingo.

draw what youre talking about and scan it in.

Or the puppy gets it
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline SonOfPiechnik

• Anny Roader
  • Yerrrsss!
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2007, 11:48:57 pm »
I cant wait to see this thing, sounds like its gonna be a million miles away from what we had before and something totally unique.

The anticipation is killing me!!! I just hope after the hype and expectation it doesnt disappoint....

Offline mojo7

• Boys Pen
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2007, 12:31:38 am »
Thanks for that mojo :wave What's your opinion of it from a fan point of view? Do you like it?

In short, yes I really like it, but i know non-football fixated colleagues looking at it and saying 'why is it like that...it doesn't conform to the typical new stadium genre'. I like the way the designers have actually dared to depart from the 'perfect c-value 3-tiered non-descript oval' solution seen at ashburton, wembley etc...I think it is very creditable and ironic that it has taken an american outfit more familiar with the more sterile 'Let's go Dodgers/Yankees/Insert name' chants to have actually considered not only Liverpool's heritage but also british football...way too many british architects are designing stadia without first hand experience about football culture or traditions. Of the few stadiums i have been involved in (unfortunately i'm not on this one :( ) the emphasis is placed on the external architectural appearance, perfect views and circulation...obviously extremely important aspects but they miss/ignore those themes that underpin football, in particular the development of stadiums, in this country. This is the first new stadium I know of where they've taken the positive features from the past and incorporated into the modern day version...i'm so glad it's Anfield breaking the new ground in stadia design.

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2007, 12:59:43 am »
I've just been looking at the images of stadia as described by Rushian and mojo7 (thanks mojo :wave) and i've really been able to get an image in my head of what it will look like and that image is awesome! I know I won't be disappointed when i see it for real.

If my image is right is it possible that the away end would be somehow filled in to increase the capacity?
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2007, 01:17:11 am »
I've just been looking at the images of stadia as described by Rushian and mojo7 (thanks mojo :wave) and i've really been able to get an image in my head of what it will look like and that image is awesome! I know I won't be disappointed when i see it for real.

If my image is right is it possible that the away end would be somehow filled in to increase the capacity?
You must have a great imagination Mark :wave Have no idea how it will all come together.

Offline the BIG fella

• Kopite
  • What We Achieve in Life, Echoes in Eternity
    • The RUSH Band - Manchester Live Wedding and Corporate Band UK
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2007, 01:18:52 am »

Would this be were they can get some of the extra capacity in future do you think? building the anny road end (as it were) small, with an elevated roof like the porto stadium, and then in future, throw another 5000 seat tier under the floating roof?
To book bands and live music visit
http://www.bandtube.co.uk

Equally if you need an amazing band for any Wedding or Event
The RUSH Band
http://www.therushband.co.uk
Listen - https://soundcloud.com/therushband

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2007, 01:23:52 am »
Would this be were they can get some of the extra capacity in future do you think? building the anny road end (as it were) small, with an elevated roof like the porto stadium, and then in future, throw another 5000 seat tier under the floating roof?

There you go, you see.  I'm not the only one who can picture it! ;D
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2007, 01:41:52 am »
Big tits please.
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2007, 07:31:26 am »

Thought the same thing. Easy to see from this:

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2007, 07:38:24 am »
In short, yes I really like it, but i know non-football fixated colleagues looking at it and saying 'why is it like that...it doesn't conform to the typical new stadium genre'. I like the way the designers have actually dared to depart from the 'perfect c-value 3-tiered non-descript oval' solution seen at ashburton, wembley etc...I think it is very creditable and ironic that it has taken an american outfit more familiar with the more sterile 'Let's go Dodgers/Yankees/Insert name' chants to have actually considered not only Liverpool's heritage but also british football...way too many british architects are designing stadia without first hand experience about football culture or traditions. Of the few stadiums i have been involved in (unfortunately i'm not on this one :( ) the emphasis is placed on the external architectural appearance, perfect views and circulation...obviously extremely important aspects but they miss/ignore those themes that underpin football, in particular the development of stadiums, in this country. This is the first new stadium I know of where they've taken the positive features from the past and incorporated into the modern day version...i'm so glad it's Anfield breaking the new ground in stadia design.

Thanks for that. I am a little reassured. Some of the early comments saying it was a copy of the Cowboys stadium are hopefully wide of the mark. I just hope they've got the balance right between novelty and the needs of a football ground - especially the acoustics.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2007, 07:51:26 am »
Shamelessly, I have added an article using a quote from mojo7 (I havent stated the name or place it came from in case of repurcussions). If mojo or Rushian wish for the article to be edited please let me know and ill do so!

http://www.thisisanfield.com/news/2007/06/new-stadium-will-be-a-unique-design/

Matt

Offline RED-EAZY

• Kopite
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2007, 09:19:50 am »

, but i know non-football fixated colleagues looking at it and saying 'why is it like that...it doesn't conform to the typical new stadium genre'.

that sounds perfect to me
We don't need Gerrard against madrid anyway, they are shite

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2007, 12:15:07 pm »
So....what we have so far is a stadium that will not be a bowl shape with all four sides been different?..I like the sound of that!.

KOP (with curved corners) =

The opposite end =

so are we talking about something like this?:

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2007, 12:19:20 pm »
I like that last one!

Looks a little like the San Siro, what did you use to make that mate?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 12:26:27 pm by G a r y »

Offline kingmonkey007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2007, 12:36:57 pm »
I like that last one!

Looks a little like the San Siro, what did you use to make that mate?

that stadium is the new maksimir stadion home for Dinamo Zagreb which will also hold around 61,000.

Offline Peyres

• Kopite
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2007, 07:09:34 pm »
Hmm I don't like that end in the Drago that has a big gap in it!

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2007, 07:33:08 pm »
Hmm I don't like that end in the Drago that has a big gap in it!

That's were can expand in the future, build another tier under the elevated roof ( or so rumour has it ! )
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Peyres

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2007, 07:56:31 pm »
yeh i suppose so, but it would look very odd for the first few months/years

Offline Ned Kelly

• Simple, really.
  • Kopite
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2007, 09:10:18 pm »
yeh i suppose so, but it would look very odd for the first few months/years

And the noise from the away end will dissapear into the Liverpool sky. A bad thing?
Would you rather win the lottery or Joe Royles head full of Fifty pence pieces ?

royhendo

« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2007, 11:08:28 pm »
brilliant posts mojo7 and rushian...  :D 

knobbly/wavy on the outside like the Gugenheim?

now - the kop and sides - how steep are we talking? on top of the pitch?

really well described lads - I have a great mental picture of it now and I like it!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:10:54 pm by royhendo »

royhendo

« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2007, 11:39:25 am »
Mojo7 wrote:
The Kop has echoes of the new Valencia stadium to the rear.

So like this from the outside then?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/75/VAlenciaCFestadiox1.jpg

Is that just behind the Kop then, or does the Frank Gehry-ish look extend around the whole exterior?

I'm picturing a suspended roof that's uneven in shape, wraps up from ground level at the back of the kop, up and over (wide and flatter) over the semi-circular kop's summit, then separating over the two side stands and narrowing on each side to the far 'Dragao-style' away end... but not in a symmetrical way?

If that's right, then does the roof also wrap over the back of the side stands and down to ground level? Or does it sit on top of the side stands like the Emirates, say?

The mental image is getting there as far as the subbuteo stands are concerned, but I can't quite get the roof and exterior right

BTW - here's a decent shot of the Stade Velodrome shapes to get the grey cells ticking over...
http://s.om.net/om/file/200608/im_stade.jpg
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:18:03 pm by royhendo »