Author Topic: Press coverage of yesterday  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
Press coverage of yesterday
« on: January 7, 2007, 01:47:17 pm »
There's so many threads covering the outstanding actions of the fans yesterday that I'm not sure the best place for this, anyway I've been scanning the rags this morning to see what they had to say about the tremendous actions of the crowd yesterday and here are some snippets:

Observer
To say Anfield was noisy at the start of this Cup tie would be the understatement of 2007. The Kop welcomed the television cameras as promised, with a superbly orchestrated protest over slurs on fans' behaviour at Hillsborough, recently re-aired by Kelvin MacKenzie. He was editor of the Sun at the time of the original accusations. The display lasted exactly six minutes into the game - though with grim irony, fans were warned that holding up placards during play would infringe safety regulations - then switched off with military precision, to coincide with the time when the 1989 FA Cup semi-final was abandoned. The protest was replaced by the type of sustained din usually reserved for big European nights.  http://football.guardian.co.uk/Observer_Match_Report/0,,1984574,00.html
Times
With yesterday’s game shown live by the BBC it started with the Kop leading a protest against Kelvin MacKenzie, recently hired by the corporation, who was editor of the The Sun during its notorious coverage of Hillsbrough. It was extraordinary, a six-minute repetition of a single chant: “Justice for the 96”. So little happened on the pitch at the time it was as if the players were waiting respectfully for the crowd to stop. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-2535276,00.html
Independent
There had been an unreal air to the opening six minutes as the whole of the Kop held up red and white cards to form a giant mosaic and chanted "Justice for the 96" in support of those supporters who died at Hillsborough almost 18 years ago.http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article2132589.ece
Sunday MirrorIt may be almost 18 years since the tragedy of Hillsborough, but the wounds from that terrible day in Sheffield continue to run deep.
Stirred by recent sickening comments made by the former editor of a tabloid newspaper, fans on the Kop held up cards to produce a mosaic which read: "The Truth" as they sang "Justice for the 96." The main protest lasted until six minutes after kick-off - a reference to the time it took for the authorities at Hillsborough to realise that people were being crushed to death in the Leppings Lane end of the stadium. http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=liverpool-1-arsenal-3%26method=full%26objectid=18409666%26siteid=62484-name_page.html
People
The opening six minutes were dominated by an incredible display on The Kop where, to a man, supporters held up cards which spelt out 'The Truth' in letters 20 feet high, a tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough and a protest against the perceived injustice of so many deaths.http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=liverpool-1-3-arsenal%26method=full%26objectid=18410015%26siteid=93463-name_page.html
As already said by so many people on here and also on the likes of 5live  :wellin to those involved in organising yesterday and a big  :wellin to those at the ground.

« Last Edit: January 7, 2007, 01:48:58 pm by Sheik Mohammed »

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
Re: Press coverage of yesterday
« Reply #1 on: January 7, 2007, 01:49:46 pm »
Would love to actually know what the rag had to say about it.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2 on: January 7, 2007, 01:51:29 pm »

Was thinking the same thing to be honest, not that will probably find out ever

Offline TommyW

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 7, 2007, 01:52:50 pm »
not much on the BBC site either... hmm

their silence speaks volumes

Offline axb96m

• Hates foreigners
  • Anny Roader
  • Victim of mods
« Reply #4 on: January 7, 2007, 01:55:11 pm »
I haven't found anything on the BBC site - can anyone spot anything at all?
"Admittedly, Michelangelo has been dead for 441 years, and as such, the metaphor is slightly ill conceived; unless, of course, to even it out, the monkey has also been dead for 441 years –– in which case, the whole thing is just rather macabre: a dead artist, a dead monkey and two untouched pieces of clay..."

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2007, 02:12:50 pm »
there's a nice pic of the kop in the observer as well....

although a much larger pic of arsenal scoring....  :(

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 7, 2007, 02:13:42 pm »

I scanned the NOTW today and there was nothing in there.

Offline jman316

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2007, 02:16:09 pm »
Absolutely nothing on bbc. I think we should start putting relentless pressure on the BBC to fire Mckenzie through shows like 'you are on sky sports' and sending them emails and letters. They ignored the petition and they probably think it will just die away and Mckenzie will keep his job, but if we continue, they will let himn go. This man's life must be made a misery for him to actually realise the wrong he did. 

hoonin

« Reply #8 on: January 7, 2007, 02:27:04 pm »
Absolutely nothing on bbc. I think we should start putting relentless pressure on the BBC to fire Mckenzie through shows like 'you are on sky sports'

Why on earth would Sky countenance such a thing? Would expose all the links with Murdoch, The Sun etc...

Offline Moley

• Virgin, apparently...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice to mole you....I mean meet you
« Reply #9 on: January 7, 2007, 02:31:57 pm »
Why on earth would Sky countenance such a thing? Would expose all the links with Murdoch, The Sun etc...

I was thinking that as Murdoch is, if anything, more guilty that the BBC, perhaps there should be a truth day for high profile Sky game
BETFAIR REFERRAL CODE:  6GRRJ3CQV

Money for me and you!!

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #10 on: January 7, 2007, 02:40:51 pm »
Absolutely nothing on bbc. I think we should start putting relentless pressure on the BBC to fire Mckenzie through shows like 'you are on sky sports' and sending them emails and letters. They ignored the petition and they probably think it will just die away and Mckenzie will keep his job, but if we continue, they will let himn go. This man's life must be made a misery for him to actually realise the wrong he did. 

Alan Green did make a big deal of it at the start of his commentary, explaining the reasons for it and actualy sounding very sympathetic for the cause.

While Sky act in self-interest and will protect all-things Murdoch, the BBC operates in a very different way. They are unlikely to do a cover-up.

Offline jman316

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2007, 02:44:56 pm »
Alan Green did make a big deal of it at the start of his commentary, explaining the reasons for it and actualy sounding very sympathetic for the cause.

While Sky act in self-interest and will protect all-things Murdoch, the BBC operates in a very different way. They are unlikely to do a cover-up.
Is there another way could we do it?
Mckenzie needs to be stopped.

Offline jman316

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2007, 02:45:17 pm »
I was thinking that as Murdoch is, if anything, more guilty that the BBC, perhaps there should be a truth day for high profile Sky game
fair enough.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 7, 2007, 02:46:22 pm »
Say what you want about the BBC website and stuff like that, but you couldn't fault them for the way they covered it yesterday. Motson talked about very little else for the first six minutes and they shower the mosaic a couple of times.

Offline jman316

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: January 7, 2007, 02:57:48 pm »
Say what you want about the BBC website and stuff like that, but you couldn't fault them for the way they covered it yesterday. Motson talked about very little else for the first six minutes and they shower the mosaic a couple of times.
Thats because the whole country was looking at them. Anything else would have been media sucide.

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #15 on: January 7, 2007, 03:04:47 pm »
the comments in the papers mentioned above were well received -so fair play to them.

however, maybe it is just me misinterpreting the report but the one in the People (shown below) states a "perceived injustice" - this makes it sound like the injustice is something only the red half of merseyside can see or recognise.

it should just read "the injustice" rather than the "perceived" injustice.

maybe that is just me reading too much into the wording?

People
The opening six minutes were dominated by an incredible display on The Kop where, to a man, supporters held up cards which spelt out 'The Truth' in letters 20 feet high, a tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough and a protest against the perceived injustice of so many deaths.http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=liverpool-1-3-arsenal%26method=full%26objectid=18410015%26siteid=93463-name_page.html
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #16 on: January 7, 2007, 03:06:58 pm »
The first few minutes before kick off on Sky (ESPN over here) had them repeating the earlier scan through of the Kop before the mosaics were up although the camera did pan and took big views of the mosaic during the first 6 minutes. Rob Hawthorne spoke about the thing as well - the mosaic, the Kop, Hillsborough, the chant, short of mentioning the rag and Mackenzie.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 7, 2007, 03:07:56 pm »
Thats because the whole country was looking at them. Anything else would have been media sucide.

Granted, but he didn't have to go as in depth as he did. To actually directly link it to Mackenzie, and then to go on to say that there was anger with the fact that he appeared on a BBC radio program is worthy of recognition at the very least.
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #18 on: January 7, 2007, 03:10:36 pm »
Did the bbc specifically mention MacKenzie? Heard so many different variations after the match and having not seen it myself it's hard to tell.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline uneverwalkalone

• LFC TV now available on SKY 448, Virgin Media 544 or e-season ticket. Happy to buy from touts.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 7, 2007, 03:12:24 pm »
Did the bbc specifically mention MacKenzie? Heard so many different variations after the match and having not seen it myself it's hard to tell.
Yes

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 7, 2007, 03:13:11 pm »

Yep, to quote.

"The protest cards held up there on the Kop are designed to draw attention to Kelvin Mackenzie, the former editor of the Sun, who was working on a BBC radio program prior to Christmas. It's been well documented that the Sun's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster is still a source of great controversy on merseyside"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGbFpppsaOg&mode=related&search=

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #21 on: January 7, 2007, 03:16:33 pm »
Cheers for the info. Not sure what else people expected them to do then in all honesty. What we need to focus on is getting them to refuse macKenzie a role in any future programming.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #22 on: January 7, 2007, 03:17:41 pm »
another good quote from Motty I thought - about five minutes in "you can't ignore it ......nor should you"
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline james_f

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 7, 2007, 03:17:50 pm »
Yep, to quote.

"The protest cards held up there on the Kop are designed to draw attention to Kelvin Mackenzie, the former editor of the Sun, who was working on a BBC radio program prior to Christmas. It's been well documented that the Sun's coverage of the Hillsborough disaster is still a source of great controversy on merseyside"

Well done for him saying that, he could've just said "it's to remember the victims of Hillsborough" without actually mentioning that scumbag or that he recently worked for the BBC.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #24 on: January 7, 2007, 03:20:13 pm »

Exactly, just seen the first six minutes video on Youtube. Motson was all but inviting Lawrensen to comment on what was happening at one point and with slight frustration when he said, "You can't just ignore it". Lawrensen can't have said more than six words for the first six minutes and none of them in reference to what was unfolding... c*nt.

« Last Edit: January 7, 2007, 03:21:48 pm by BCCC »
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 7, 2007, 03:23:21 pm »
Cheers for the info. Not sure what else people expected them to do then in all honesty. What we need to focus on is getting them to refuse macKenzie a role in any future programming.

Oh don't worry mate.

This was only the opening shot.

Will post in the other threads too,  but I have just had a lengthy chat with our extremly good ally..  and friend now..  Sam at the Daily Post.  There will be a big feature with lots of pics in the paper tomorrow.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #26 on: January 7, 2007, 03:25:56 pm »
Nice one shaun :wellin

Offline jman316

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: January 7, 2007, 03:28:25 pm »
Fair point to the commentry. My point however is 100% what you have said. mckenzie should not be given a role again. Infact it should get to a point where other media companies will not want to touch him as he will be perceved as poison, the man who brings bad publicity to whichever media org tries to give him a shoulder.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 7, 2007, 03:28:47 pm »
Oh don't worry mate.

Will post in the other threads too,  but I have just had a lengthy chat with our extremly good ally..  and friend now..  Sam at the Daily Post.  There will be a big feature with lots of pics in the paper tomorrow.

Good stuff. Saw your banner btw loud and proud in the paddock last night.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #29 on: January 7, 2007, 03:30:27 pm »
brilliant

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #30 on: January 7, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »
Oh don't worry mate.

Right will be up nice and early tomorrow to go and purchase a copy
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline jman316

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: January 7, 2007, 03:35:14 pm »
Oh don't worry mate.

EXCELLENT

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 7, 2007, 03:35:28 pm »
Good stuff. Saw your banner btw loud and proud in the paddock last night.

Thanks mate.

Not my usual spec,  but nice to see a few banners all over the place.

And I thought that NasEscobars in the upper Kem was magnificent.

Well in to all.

Offline james_f

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 7, 2007, 03:37:50 pm »
Exactly, just seen the first six minutes video on Youtube. Motson was all but inviting Lawrensen to comment on what was happening at one point and with slight frustration when he said, "You can't just ignore it". Lawrensen can't have said more than six words for the first six minutes and none of them in reference to what was unfolding... c*nt.

I've just watched that 6 minutes clip on you tube.  The only thing Lawrenson said was "They did indeed" in reply to Motson saying "I          wonder how long this will go on for before it starts distracting the players.  They said six minutes, Mark?".

What a twat.

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 7, 2007, 03:39:57 pm »
Right will be up nice and early tomorrow to go and purchase a copy

As will I.

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 7, 2007, 03:43:38 pm »
BBC showed it alright, but more so out of having to than wanting to because it was impossible to ignore.  I think motson mentioned it too out of having to, didnt really explain properly what it was about, was just a token gesture really. 
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 7, 2007, 03:43:56 pm »
Thanks mate.

Not my usual spec,  but nice to see a few banners all over the place.

And I thought that NasEscobars in the upper Kem was magnificent.

Well in to all.

Saw NasEscobars as well, in fact I saw all the banners that had been posted on here leading up to the game. A truly magnificent effort by all... Cap doffed.

Offline cj

• didn't get where he is today without becoming a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 7, 2007, 04:08:20 pm »
Absolutely brilliant result in the end.
I've personally been somewhat swaying on this issue. Whether to voice our opinion as high as possible or simply try to silence him to death.

After what has transpired I'd say the latter of the options is certainly out the window though, by a good 500 yards at least.

What is important now is that the legacy from yesterday is properly nurtured and the message not diluted.

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #38 on: January 7, 2007, 04:26:30 pm »
BBC showed it alright, but more so out of having to than wanting to because it was impossible to ignore.  I think motson mentioned it too out of having to, didnt really explain properly what it was about, was just a token gesture really. 

Sorry but that's bollocks. They could have minimised the views of the Kop until it was over, turned down the volume on the crowd noise and Motson didn't have to say anything about the chants at all. The editor made a deliberate choice about 5 minutes into the game to pan across the mosaic in all its magnificence when the ball went out of play. They could have shown ny other part of the ground or the players.

Lawro was a c*nt though.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2007, 04:31:39 pm »
Sorry but that's bollocks. They could have minimised the views of the Kop until it was over, turned down the volume on the crowd noise and Motson didn't have to say anything about the chants at all. The editor made a deliberate choice about 5 minutes into the game to pan across the mosaic in all its magnificence when the ball went out of play. They could have shown ny other part of the ground or the players.

Lawro was a c*nt though.

also mottie mentioned it a few times, and gave a reasonable expanation of why and what for