Author Topic: Racist Thread  (Read 7388 times)

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
Racist Thread
« on: September 28, 2006, 05:22:58 pm »
Very disappointed this was locked by Rushian.

Should we all have the approach that is was only a few knobheads, lets ignore it.  Clearly many people heard the chanting last night and of even more concern many people have heard racist chanting at other times whether on coaches or in the stands.

However, it seems that whilst its still a small minority, its not worth dicussing, not on RAWK anyway.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Re: Racist Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 05:29:46 pm »
Well it might be worth pointing out we've had a much longer, lengthier and in depth discussion than any other forum. The racism has been condemned by everyone. It came from a minority and was heard by a minority.

Now if you'd like to add something to it feel free.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 05:31:28 pm »
From what I read of it everyone condemned the racist chanting, said it should be stamped out and the club should do something about it.

Then the thread just went round in circles.

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 05:41:15 pm »
Well it might be worth pointing out we've had a much longer, lengthier and in depth discussion than any other forum. The racism has been condemned by everyone. It came from a minority and was heard by a minority.

Now if you'd like to add something to it feel free.

The thread was reagrding a particular incident, not racism in general and bearing in mind the incident only happened last night, there are many who were at the game who may not have had the opportunity to add to the discussion.

But as you have now repeated, its only a minority, so lets forget about it.............until it rears its ugly head again that is, then we can simply lock that thread too.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 05:49:39 pm »
Given that I condemned it in the strongest terms and widened the discussion you could hardly accuse me of brushing it under the carpet, could you?

We have always vigorously condemned any racism and as far as I'm aware been the only LFC website which has participated in anti-racism initiatives.

And yet we get stick? Fuck me, makes me wonder why we bother at times.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 06:18:58 pm »
No one is disputing your condemnation of racisim or in depth discussion of racism in general.

My gripe is you have locked a thread regarding a particular incident of a serious nature and just put it in the racism bag as being already discussed so of no further interest.

In addition you have stated that only a minority even know about the incident, let alone heard it and have used that as a basis for it not to be discussed.

I would think that many people have not logged on since the match and have not had opportunity to add their comments and or anything they heard.

Smacks of 'sweeping it (this incident, not racism in general) under the carpet' to me

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:34:04 pm »
In addition you have stated that only a minority even know about the incident, let alone heard it and have used that as a basis for it not to be discussed.

No I haven't! It got locked because everything that could be said had been said (in my judgement obviously) - I'm not sure what else could be added to the debate.

It got locked because it was getting into circular pedantic/semantic arguments detracting away from what actually happened.

Offline kopite-stu

• Anny Roader
  • The first and the last. Cardiff 01 & 06.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 06:38:26 pm »
I was a bit gutted when it was locked and would like to let you know what i heard.

The chants did come from block 202 but i doubt it was the normal lads who do all the singing. There wasnt many of them doing it but all the chants mentioned previously were sung. I was pretty miffed about it and will probably contact the club via the contact info in the previous forum. It is just not needed and we are bigger than that. It would be nice if one of the singers came on and explained what the fuck they were trying to prove. Songs in that vein have no place at any football ground and certainly not on the kop. I wasn't too impressed withthe werenot english were scouse chant either but i'm not starting that debate again. :no
Red for life

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 06:41:31 pm »
kopite-stu - they're not likely to be registered on here are they?

Offline kopite-stu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 06:45:17 pm »
you never know, but they probably wouldnt admit to it anyway.
Red for life

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 06:46:39 pm »
I assume here that no one is blatantly racist (not come across one yet) and that everyone would condemn the brainless racism of the type that was being referred to in the thread.  There is nothing really to discuss.  I would urge anyone who comes across racism to do something practical about it instead (writing to the club etc.).

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96 - We Will Not Forget
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 06:48:44 pm »
Just a thought Kopite-Stu, and i know I'll probably get vilified again on here for this one, but.............

You heard the shouts/chants/whatever they were at the time, and said nothing, and now you say you are going to write to the club. Why didn't you say something at the time?
Justice for the 96
RTK

Offline kopite-stu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 06:52:33 pm »
simply because i sit in the middle of the block and at euro games its not so easy to get out. not arguing about this point. would have mentioned it afterwards but with the pressure of the game and waiting for results at the end it slipped my mind until i heard it mentioned on 606.

have to say i wasnt the only one who heard it and said nothing though!!!!
Red for life

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 07:00:39 pm »
The point is not whether everyone condemns it or not as no one is likely to come on here and say yeah I'm a racist.

The point is about discussion and making people aware of what is going on and in this particular incident what exactly went on.

Yes, you are going to get irrelevent comment in any thread, christ a lot of threads are entirely made up of irrelevent comment, but that's not a reason to lock the thread on such an important issue when lots of the forum members who were at the match have probably not logged on since due to being at work etc.

Indeed, we now have the discussion continuing on this thread, which tells its own story

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2006, 07:25:24 pm »
To be honest, I think it's lucky that only the milder stuff has been picked up on. There'd be uproar the real extent of it was known. I think stu probably knows what I'm on about and a couple of others who were up there with me, do too.

Some of the stuff was funny banter, some of it crossed the line. Well it did for me, anyway. And no I didnt say anything at the time - partly because I dont feel it's my place to tell people what they can and cannot sing and partly because it would have made the rest of the game a nightmare for me (probably).

Point taken, but another point..........

you say "because I dont feel it's my place to tell people what they can and cannot sing" but then condemn it now on the forums. (not just you but others on the forums as well), I think this is hypocritical.  

Justice for the 96
RTK

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2006, 07:36:28 pm »
Not really. Just because I personally dont like to hear it doesnt mean I should tell them not to sing it. I dont like that Fuck off Chelsea FC song, but I dont go off on one at everyone who sings it. Their choice - not mine.

Fair enough. Although the difference between not liking something being sung, and calling people lowlifes, scum, c*nts etc for singin it must be noted. (again not solely aimed at you Rhi)
Justice for the 96
RTK

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 07:39:24 pm »
I'm racist.

I hate Nico, the French twat.

Fact of the matter is, the thread would just go round in circles. You either heard it or you didn't. Everyone is disgusted by it, they should be kicked out of Anfield, etc etc. End of story.

Most threads go round and round in circles, its called discussion.  No one says we have to come up with a resolution or a plan of action, but if we locked all the threads that were just going round in circles, we'd only have the joke thread left :)

Closer to the truth is probably that the nature of the discussion and not wanting our club associated with such matters is why the thread has been locked, afterall only the bitters have such problems

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 07:41:52 pm »
Closer to the truth is probably that the nature of the discussion and not wanting our club associated with such matters is why the thread has been locked, afterall only the bitters have such problems

Fuck me, don't you read anything that's posted?

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 07:44:38 pm »
Not really. Just because I personally dont like to hear it doesnt mean I should tell them not to sing it. I dont like that Fuck off Chelsea FC song, but I dont go off on one at everyone who sings it. Their choice - not mine.

Hardly a comparison as racist chanting is against the law, whilst singing about Chelsea is not.

If you saw an old lady being mugged, most people would at least report it.  Something like racist chanting, too many people turn a blind eye, which is why the morons usually get away with it.

No easy answers

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 07:47:04 pm »
Fuck me, don't you read anything that's posted?

Sure I do, but nothing you have said to date justifys your actions otherwise you'd lock 90% of the threads on here.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 07:47:14 pm »
Point taken, but another point..........

you say "because I dont feel it's my place to tell people what they can and cannot sing" but then condemn it now on the forums. (not just you but others on the forums as well), I think this is hypocritical. 

Depends what you mean - a lot of people would feel physically intimated at the game if they tackled those singing it in person. Not everyone is a 6 foot 8 docker built like a brick shithouse who can look after themselves.

There are mechanisms in place though to at least alert the club of what's going on - a simple email for a start or one of the phone numbers posted earlier.

Offline mr-4

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 07:50:18 pm »
I was a bit gutted when it was locked and would like to let you know what i heard.

The chants did come from block 202 but i doubt it was the normal lads who do all the singing. There wasnt many of them doing it but all the chants mentioned previously were sung. I was pretty miffed about it and will probably contact the club via the contact info in the previous forum. It is just not needed and we are bigger than that. It would be nice if one of the singers came on and explained what the fuck they were trying to prove. Songs in that vein have no place at any football ground and certainly not on the kop. I wasn't too impressed withthe werenot english were scouse chant either but i'm not starting that debate again. :no
Was it in yesterday's game? I was in block 202 and don't remember hearing anything racists. Have I missed something?
Mourinho, 19 Feb 2004: Liverpool over Chelsea, no doubt about it
Rick Parry, 22 Aug 2006: You have to aim for the stars, not mediocrity
Chris Bascombe, 21 Sep 2006: No matter how far back you seem, when you're blessed with class, anything is possible.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 09:37:37 pm »
How come this debate is happening in the Feedback forum? Surely if we're allowed to discuss it it would make sense to reopen the thread in the LFC forum?
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 09:38:54 pm »
How come this debate is happening in the Feedback forum? Surely if we're allowed to discuss it it would make sense to reopen the thread in the LFC forum?

Why are you so arsed, either contribute or ignore it.....
Justice for the 96
RTK

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 09:47:15 pm »
Why are you so arsed, either contribute or ignore it.....

I'm just a bit confused, as a lot of the points I want to respond to are raised in the other thread. Ideally, I would like to see all the contributions in both threads merged so I can read them all together, and reopened so I can have my say. Here it's all a bit unsatisfactory.

Incidentally, why are you so arsed whether I want the original thread opened or not? ;)
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 09:51:24 pm »
I wasn't too impressed withthe werenot english were scouse chant either but i'm not starting that debate again. :no

Whats your problem with that?  I worked hard on that little ditty....

RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline IrishRed

• Driven but can't drive...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 10:27:11 pm »
Whats your problem with that?  I worked hard on that little ditty....

i always thought it was 'we're not english we're wools' ???

was in 202 and didn't hear a thing of racist nature.  not saying it didn't happen, just saying i didn't hear it

see no evil, hear no evil
LFC SHOULD NEVER PLAY ON THE 15TH APRIL, NOT THIS YEAR, NEXT YEAR OR ANY OTHER YEAR

Justice

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 10:29:29 pm »
i always thought it was 'we're not english we're wools' ???

Maybe for some  ;)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline jward85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 10:35:33 pm »
I'm just a bit confused, as a lot of the points I want to respond to are raised in the other thread. Ideally, I would like to see all the contributions in both threads merged so I can read them all together, and reopened so I can have my say. Here it's all a bit unsatisfactory.

Incidentally, why are you so arsed whether I want the original thread opened or not? ;)

Because what forum a thread is posted in is irrelevant to the content of the thread, if you wanted to discuss the topic in hand you could do, independent of which forum it was in.
Justice for the 96
RTK

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 11:33:09 pm »
With remarks like that Tony, even with smiley,  is it a wonder these morons exist

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 11:57:57 pm »
With remarks like that Tony, even with smiley,  is it a wonder these morons exist

Nearly the WHOLE Kop used to sing racist songs in the 60s/70s mate. It's nothing new at all, racism will always exist in football, as sad as it may be.

I just can't understand why anyone would be surprised by it happening last night. And can't understand even more so why someone would come on the internet and moan about it, rather than confronting the people singing it...

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 12:20:31 am »
Nearly the WHOLE Kop used to sing racist songs in the 60s/70s mate. It's nothing new at all, racism will always exist in football, as sad as it may be.

I just can't understand why anyone would be surprised by it happening last night. And can't understand even more so why someone would come on the internet and moan about it, rather than confronting the people singing it...

I think it is as others have said, if you are a strapping 6 foot 6 inch bloke built like a truck, then it would be easier but if you arent and it's some big handy bastard doing it you would be a bit wary about telling them to shut it

But yeah, suppose it's the same everywhere, there are minorities even now who will still do this type of thing, probably unavoidable, but if they can be named and shamed then that's to everyones benefit

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2006, 12:20:55 am »
I just can't understand why anyone would be surprised by it happening last night.

Perhaps because they're not as big and brave and ugly as you? ;)

How many people will really front twenty smacked-up twats and expect to escape scot-free with their features intact? A tiny % of those under 6 feet 10 both tall and wide.

And can't understand even more so why someone would come on the internet and moan about it, rather than confronting the people singing it...

Fuck me must remember next time I want to criticise China's human rights record I must fly to Beijing and set myself alight in Tiananmen Square. Got to keep it real.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 12:22:36 am by Rushian »

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2006, 12:29:12 am »

Not sure you are right there, but wasn't on the KOP in the 60's and 70's.  I was in the 80's tho and it certainly wasn't the whole KOP or anywhere near.

Using your theory, we may as well bring back slavery

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sky Sports - It's shite
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2006, 12:30:31 am »

Christ yeah, especially against teams like West Brom. Like someone said though, this was the era of 'love thy neighbour' and its come full circle now. Not saying its right but even booing a black player now is dodgy in case its interpreted as racism. John Barnes changed things imo for the good and I would hate to go back to those days of hearing racist abuse just for the sake of it but sometimes people look at something that really isn't there. My lad was sat quite close to where the alleged racist chanting was last night and he never mentioned anything to me about it, he's of the new PC generation btw. I gave him some examples of racist songs I used to hear regularly on the Kop and he just can't believe it. He used to love  Titi Camara, then Cisse, now Momo is his hero, strange isn't it? How times change eh? And sometimes for the better!
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline Barrowboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sky Sports - It's shite
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 12:37:13 am »
Not sure you are right there, but wasn't on the KOP in the 60's and 70's.  I was in the 80's tho and it certainly wasn't the whole KOP or anywhere near.

Using your theory, we may as well bring back slavery

He didn't say it was the whole Kop in the 80s Rhino. Was still heard but had started to die a death by then and Digger Barnes totally changed it like I said before. The slavery remark is a bit OTT mate, it was a very tiny minority from what we've established and unfortunately, society is still just about reflected the way it is at footy grounds.
If Kenny Dalglish cannot influence the team to play with more pride in their shirts for the millions of fans they represent, then what chance does anyone else have?

Offline Rhino

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2006, 12:43:55 am »
He didn't say it was the whole Kop in the 80s Rhino. Was still heard but had started to die a death by then and Digger Barnes totally changed it like I said before. The slavery remark is a bit OTT mate, it was a very tiny minority from what we've established and unfortunately, society is still just about reflected the way it is at footy grounds.

The viewpoint expressed was that it went on in the 60's & 70's so what's the problem, why all the fuss.  On that basis, why not go back 100 years to slavery.

The point I was trying to make is that just because something went on in the past doesn't make it right today and attitudes and posts like his (at least the mods saw sense to delete it) are why these morons still exist today

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 03:14:52 am »
I don't really mind the thread being closed - it makes sense. The thing is that there's lots of threads that go around in circles and dont' get locked. For example any thread about investment/new stadium/how the club is run. For example any thread about Luis Garcia after he has a bad game. I could go on.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 08:07:47 am »
Problem with idiots like these is they do things for a reaction. They want the attention and the outcry. In the unlikely event they can operate a pc and read they'd love a 30 page thread about how awful they are. It would feed their sad egos.

It only takes 10 to 15 dickheads like this to bring the entire support into disrepute, if they're accorded the kind of spotlight which they seek. By far the best thing those who witnessed the racist chanting can do is report it, the contact details are in the thread. Even if it wasn't reported at the time the club should still be made aware so they can check who purchased the tickets and to let the stewards know that they have to get on top of things like this.

It's a criminal offence and the club will take it seriously as long as people contact them.
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline kopite-stu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 08:48:31 am »
Right consider it reported. Just rang and left a message on the "confidential" line 0800 298 4999.
Would urge all others to do the same.
Red for life