Author Topic: Is anyone really bothered about the charity/community shield game  (Read 5093 times)

Offline jan molby 10

• Main Stander
Yes it is very nice to win and you will all come back with its a confidence booster to beat chelsea for the league program ok yes ,but its is only friendly and in may i know the charity shield will not be remembered  , so for me yes great if we win it but i think it will have no bearing on the league what so ever , we know we can beat chelsea in one offs we need to beat chelsea and the likes in the league , i would take now victories over sheff utd and maccabi  if we got beat tomorrow .

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Is anyone really bothered about the charity/community shield game
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 11:51:58 am »
I would absolutely love to win. I reckon it's actually a really good trophy to put under your belt, as its a reminder of the previous seasons success. Also, given the opposition, I think that this one has an added edge to it.

I know that whichever team wins will say "it's just the charity shield, bla bla" but personally I would hate to lose to that shite in a trophy game and give them something to brag about.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 11:53:07 am »
It's not just a friendly, it's another trophy and another win over our rivals.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 11:53:59 am »
not that i'm superstitious but has anyone got the stats of how many teams have won both the league and the charity/community shield in the same year, supposed to be a bit of a jinx isn't it?
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 11:54:35 am »
Yes it is very nice to win and you will all come back with its a confidence booster to beat chelsea for the league program ok yes ,but its is only friendly and in may i know the charity shield will not be remembered  , so for me yes great if we win it but i think it will have no bearing on the league what so ever , we know we can beat chelsea in one offs we need to beat chelsea and the likes in the league , i would take now victories over sheff utd and maccabi  if we got beat tomorrow .

Have to agree
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 11:55:09 am »
We want to win every game simple as that, and esp one against the current champions. Seeing as the current champions are Chelsea it just gives us added incentive to make our mark.

Even if we don't win the match I would like to see some form of intent to show them that they will not get their way this season. They are not as good when under pressure (no1 is)
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline -Daws-

• Legacy Fan
  • No longer a teenage Rafa, still no goatee.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 11:57:16 am »
Yes. Mainly because it's Chelsea we are playing.

The thing is, it's a kind of warm up game to the Premiership season, seeing how we fair against the Champions, and if we win it, we will all be boasting more about the fact we beat Chelsea than the fact we have won the Community Shield.
It's hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them.

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 11:58:17 am »
I used to think "...it's just a friendly..." until we beat United in 01. I was delighted, and will be if we don't lose tomorrow.
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline jan molby 10

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 11:58:47 am »
yes but it is a friendly and when has it ever been a proper trophy yes of course its is nice to win , but it carries no weight .

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2006, 11:59:59 am »
yes. would love to see Liverpool beat Chelsea in any match. and seeing as i'm off to Cardiff of course i'm bothered.
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2006, 12:01:25 pm »
It's the opponent that makes it a game.
When we won it against Man U I was really happy, it's always nice to beat them.
Same goes for Chelsea now.
If we were playing Charlton I wouldn't care too much, but now I do.
I don't like Chelsea, and that's an understatement ...

Offline jan molby 10

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 12:01:58 pm »
yes. would love to see Liverpool beat Chelsea in any match. and seeing as i'm off to Cardiff of course i'm bothered.
ok if some one offers you now beating chelsea tomorrow or beat sheff utd and maccabi which one would you take . 

Pheeny

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2006, 12:02:16 pm »
certainly not a trophy but its always nice to win the game.

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 12:04:53 pm »

Pretty much sums up how I view this useless game.  More concerned that we don't get players injured or sent off in a nothing game.

Offline jan molby 10

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 12:06:01 pm »
Pretty much sums up how I view this useless game.  More concerned that we don't get players injured or sent off in a nothing game.
hear hear

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 12:07:29 pm »
It is comparable to the super cup really. Yes the match itself might not be that important mostly because the timing, but it takes some effort to be qualified to play charity shield, so in that sense it's important.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of clubs who would LOVE to be able to play in that match.

We're there...and we should...and we will...try to win it.

L'pool is about trophies!
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline jan molby 10

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 12:08:55 pm »
No disrepect to any fan who believes this but this is all down to the other fella houllier saying the charity/community shield was a trophy , well in that case so was the pirelli cup the won in 2000 against sunderland   did that mean anything .

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 12:10:05 pm »
No disrepect to any fan who believes this but this is all down to the other fella houllier saying the charity/community shield was a trophy , well in that case so was the pirelli cup the won in 2000 against sunderland   did that mean anything .

i still count the carlsberg cup ;D
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 12:19:16 pm »
well in that case so was the pirelli cup the won in 2000 against sunderland   did that mean anything .

Yes, yes and thrice yes.  I still get teary eyed when I think back to that wonderous day.  Ahh, the memories.  Forever will they last.

:P

Offline King Knud

• Main Stander
  • none worthy but God, whom heaven, earth, sea obey
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 12:21:55 pm »
What do I think?

LET'S TWAT THESE COCKNEY RENTBOYS!
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second."
- Bob Paisley

Offline RedKennedy

• Anny Roader
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2006, 12:23:17 pm »
I don't want to travel to Cardiff to see us lose, I like most want to see us win especially against those tosser rent boys. Come on Redmen.

:champ :scarf

Offline Floundy

• Anny Roader
  • BollockyBoo
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2006, 12:51:53 pm »
I really want us to win - I don't really care about the shield itself, but I always care about beating the Chelsea and their whining manager. 

Also I hate the completely uncalled for change of name to the shield - it's the fucking charity shield and nothing to do with the community.  Damn them!
I am JD, and that's the end of that chapter...........

Offline kopitekop1

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 12:55:12 pm »
Want to beat these horrible bastards but to be fair whatever happens the spin on it from that twat will make us out to be losers.
If we win they are not fit if we lose they are not fit and still beat us.So lets just go and twat em anyway ;D
The reds are coming up the hill boys

Offline The Cappuccino Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 12:59:30 pm »
There's more than a trophy at stake tomorrow. First blood in psychological warfare. We can't let them c*nts strike first. A win tomorrow would be a signal of intent for the rest of the season.
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 12:59:58 pm »
It would be nice to win but I dont think I would be fussed if we lost, but a trophy is a trophy so we should go out to win it, especially against a team that have been 1 of our biggest rivals over the past 2 years
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline carven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2006, 01:00:52 pm »
It is comparable to the super cup really. Yes the match itself might not be that important mostly because the timing, but it takes some effort to be qualified to play charity shield, so in that sense it's important.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of clubs who would LOVE to be able to play in that match.

We're there...and we should...and we will...try to win it.

L'pool is about trophies!

Completely agree with that!  :thumbup

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2006, 01:01:48 pm »
No disrepect to any fan who believes this but this is all down to the other fella houllier saying the charity/community shield was a trophy , well in that case so was the pirelli cup the won in 2000 against sunderland   did that mean anything .

This trophy competition is put on by the FA.

They keep records and play it every year.

This trophy is not the most glamorous, true.

But we've won ( or shared) it 14 times....

15 is much nicer..

It doesn't mean we'll win the League ( as Chelsea did last season when they won it) or any other competition because they are totally seperate competitions.

It may be a glorified friendly to some..but i'd rather win it thank you very much. So yes, i'm bothered about it. Come the 19th I won't be. But that's football.......the next match is the most important.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2006, 01:03:14 pm »
Winning breeds confidence, a win against chelsea even better.

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2006, 01:54:43 pm »
I know on here there is the whole thing about not talking about Chelsea but fuck, i want to win becuase it will be against Chelsea.

I hate the club for the way they are slowly ditching the few remaining morals the game has.

It would be nice to get one over them, and although the 'It's a friendly' excuse will come out if we win, I do not care. I want the record books to show a Liverpool win in the Charity Shield.

It will be a great morale booster for the club going into the season. Set us right and hope we can get a good start.

Let's fucking twat these cockney bastards.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2006, 02:15:26 pm »
I haven't paid £126 for tickets, £70 on petrol and another £50 set asside for drinks and an evening meal to see us lose...

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2006, 02:21:52 pm »

I was thinking that.

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2006, 02:27:34 pm »
There's more than a trophy at stake tomorrow. First blood in psychological warfare. We can't let them c*nts strike first. A win tomorrow would be a signal of intent for the rest of the season.

Agree with that

Offline champs2005

• Aw! For FUCK'S sake!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's on random!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2006, 05:11:39 pm »
Went to the one in 2002 v Arsenal. Crap game, crap atmos! Too many of my fellow Welshmen there, and not enough scousers to start the singing off! I'm sure I didn't hear YNWA once! Couldn't wait to get out of the stadium and into the pub for a few beers after that game! Even the Arsenal fans who passed the pub after the presentation looked bored as fuck, which is saying something for them!

So that has kind of put me off these games, but having said that, LET'S TWAT THOSE COCKNEY FUCKING BASTARDS!

;D
Quote from: Shaun
Get FUCKED 4 eyes! Why don't you go out with her if you love her so much?

Online fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2006, 05:27:47 pm »
Its a great way to signal your intent for the season as the Chatrty Shield has normally been contested btw the tops sides since its beginning. Last thing we need is Chelsea beating us 4-0 or visa versa , a week before the season starts as I am sure that will leave a few doubts in the opposing fans, players & manager's mind. No matter where we meet yah, Chelsea, UT or Arze,  we are up for the task at hand is what I say.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline wadeywestderby1983

• Kopite
  • Czech Beer Monster
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2006, 05:29:29 pm »
Its more than just a friendly. Its the curtain raiser for the new premiership season. If we win, we can "fire a shot across the bows" of Chelsea and state our intentions for the season, boost our confidence and maybe knock theirs.

I fucking hate travelling by coach for hours as well, if it was just a friendly, I wouldnt bother going.

Winning breeds confidence, a win against chelsea even better.

Is right lad.
Bar Dvacet Jedno, Slavikova 21, Vinohrady

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2006, 05:33:03 pm »
Want to beat these horrible bastards but to be fair whatever happens the spin on it from that twat will make us out to be losers.
If we win they are not fit if we lose they are not fit and still beat us.So lets just go and twat em anyway ;D

:wellin
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2006, 05:35:36 pm »
Absolutely irrelevant.

That is why the stadium will be full and there will be millions watching worldwide on TV and the papers will be full of the result and depending on whether we win or lose people will say that we will win the league or that Rafa should go.

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2006, 05:43:55 pm »
I'm not getting out of bed at 5:00 am tomorrow to see us lose. I want us to win every game we play although if I had the choice between winning tomorrow or against Sheff Utd. I'd choose the Sheff Utd game.

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 05:52:45 pm »
It's still against Chelsea and it's another trophy.  Let's win everything this year! 
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 06:31:43 pm »
A gloried money spinner, that we could do without so close to the real action. Avoiding injuries and cautions, getting closer to match fitness is the main concern in my opinion.

If we win then great, but I won't be losing any sleep if we get beat, when it comes to me feeling like that I know we're only talking about a friendly.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)